PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bradley is a red.

Pages : [1] 2

Ivy
01-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Good for you Lieweke... Good for you...

ensco
01-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Lex Luthor! Lex Luthor!

http://nesn.com/2013/10/italian-soccer-announcer-screams-lex-luthor-after-michael-bradleys-game-winning-goal-video/

Flipityflu
01-08-2014, 06:04 PM
you know, that would be a big bloody deal

Yohan
01-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Lex Luthor! Lex Luthor!

http://nesn.com/2013/10/italian-soccer-announcer-screams-lex-luthor-after-michael-bradleys-game-winning-goal-video/
TIFO this Lex Luthor shit. 2 stick anyone?

Richard
01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
^^^^^
For those that don't want to deal them pesky advertisements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLSG9fq0ao&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uR8ClBps6ao

Red CB Toronto
01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
As a supporter of the USMNT this is a huge signing, no other way to say it.

Flipityflu
01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
honestly, this league hasn't made much bigger signings than this.

razor787
01-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Is this 100% confirmed? Source?

Pookie
01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I like this better than Defoe.

Younger, experienced, can grow with the team and likely healthier.

Downside, Laba probably goes. Maybe they can put him on loan and then figure out something with his contract.

Ivy
01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Is this 100% confirmed? Source?
No such thing lol
but multiple news outlets are tweeting it. Started from ESPN.
Apparently, it was initially meant to be a loan, but quickly moved to a full transfer.
10 million transfer fee, 6.5million a year, for 5-6 years

Phil
01-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Rumours are saying a 5 or 6 year deal...holy cow.

notthesun
01-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I'd almost guarantee MLS is paying the transfer fee. It's a bigger signing than Dempsey.

5 years of having the league's best passer run our show from CM... yes please.

Flipityflu
01-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Twellman and Lalas started this one

razor787
01-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Lol title made it seem for sure. I've got to admit, I don't know much about him. From the hype, it sounds as if this is a big deal though.

I have heard that Laba's pay is already near 200k, so is it possible to keep laba, by buying his contract down with allocation? Will mean a big part of the cap tied up in 3 DP + laba + DeRo, and not sure if it would be worth it.

Richard
01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Rumours are saying a 5 or 6 year deal...holy cow.

Holy cow indeed, are we still a Canadian club haha, MLS must owe TL a favour or something.

J-Man
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
On 1050 TSN radio they said that he will be signing on Monday as well as defoe.

Pookie
01-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Holy cow indeed, are we still a Canadian club haha, MLS must owe TL a favour or something.

I hope that the days of thinking we are a development club for the CMNT are long gone.

T-boy
01-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Defoe who????? :p

AlanO
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Oh, how amazing it would be to have a Laba-Bradley pairing at central midfield for years to come..

Hopefully Bez can work some magic to keep Laba, but it sounds like he'll have to move somewhere else.

ensco
01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
This deal is an excellent use of somebody else's money.

It makes the Defoe and Gilberto deals better too.

Jesus, we will be the talk of the league for months.

Holy cow. I hope this all works. May as well dare to be great, I guess.

Ivy
01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
This, BTW, can be the day that Toronto FC has died.

IF they make these signings, and they still don't make playoffs... Oh boy...

Phil
01-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Lol title made it seem for sure. I've got to admit, I don't know much about him. From the hype, it sounds as if this is a big deal though.

I have heard that Laba's pay is already near 200k, so is it possible to keep laba, by buying his contract down with allocation? Will mean a big part of the cap tied up in 3 DP + laba + DeRo, and not sure if it would be worth it.

We will have to loose laba or loan him. His 200 k hit is because of his young dp status, but he still counts as dp.

BuSaPuNk
01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
We will have to loose laba or loan him. His 200 k hit is because of his young dp status, but he still counts as dp.

They could always pay down his salary with allocation to take away his DP status.

razor787
01-08-2014, 06:51 PM

I could be mistaken, but I somewhat remember hearing that his actual yearly pay is supposed to be around 250k, and that the first year he had to be DP because of the transfer fee. If he is that close to the 200k, it is possible, but still seems like it would tie up too much cap into 5 players.

brad
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Still think Laba gets moved for an attacking central mid within the league.

Shakes McQueen
01-08-2014, 06:55 PM
This deal is an excellent use of somebody else's money.

It makes the Defoe and Gilberto deals better too.

Jesus, we will be the talk of the league for months.

Holy cow. I hope this all works. May as well dare to be great, I guess.

Whatever you think of TL, you have to salute him for throwing down the gauntlet like this.

- Scott

Ivy
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Somewhere out there, Defoe is very confused because his phone stopped ringing, and he's no longer trending on twitter.

Gilberto9
01-08-2014, 07:07 PM
LOL some of us are too excited (http://en.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/1uqbxg/im_hearing_torontofc_on_the_verge_of_signing/cekricu)

ensco
01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Why wouldn't Bradley have to go through the allocation process? Anyone know?

ensco
01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Whatever you think of TL, you have to salute him for throwing down the gauntlet like this.

- Scott

I suppose. I still don't think it's the way to build.

But the Bradley deal I love, he can be the long-term cornerstone of the franchise.

I wondered if Leiweke might not go after Edu early on. I had the thought process right, but wasn't thinking big enough.

Pint
01-08-2014, 07:13 PM

DP's don't go through allocation... see Clint Dempsey

Flipityflu

i wonder if its our turn to circumnavigate the rules

Yohan
apparently some rule that DPs don't go through allocation process. It was supposedly there before Dempsey signing, but Dempsey was first time this rule was used

Ultra & Proud
DPs are exempt from allocation like in the Dempsey deal.

ensco
01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
^Thanks all. I forgot that bunfight. Be interesting to see what happens.

Pint
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Well it makes sense... how many team can afford his fee and the salary he commands? DP's have to be a single team negotiation due to the size of the contract.

Even if the league pays the fee... how many team can afford to put 6.5mil a year towards a player?

Yohan
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Well it makes sense... how many team can afford his fee and the salary he commands? DP's have to be a single team negotiation due to the size of the contract.

Even if the league pays the fee... how many team can afford to put 6.5mil a year towards a player?
about half...

NE, NYRB, DC, CHI, COL, SEA, VAN, CUSA, LA. A lot of them won't, not can't. Lots of billionaires in MLS. Lots of teams I haven't listed have pretty deep pockets too, but more risky for them

Pint
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
about half...

NE, NYRB, DC, CHI, COL, SEA, VAN, CUSA, LA. A lot of them won't, not can't. Lots of billionaires in MLS. Lots of teams I haven't listed have pretty deep pockets too, but more risky for them

I guess that's true but how many high profile players want to leave it up to a lottery as to which team they end up with? The dempsey this may have been the 1st time we have heard about the rule but it seams lile a logical rule to me.

Yohan
01-08-2014, 07:30 PM
I guess that's true but how many high profile players want to leave it up to a lottery as to which team they end up with? The dempsey this may have been the 1st time we have heard about the rule but it seams lile a logical rule to me.
because DP salary are mostly paid by the club, it's a direct negotiation with the club anyways. I'd hazard a guess that DPs don't count towards discovery signings either.

jazzy
01-08-2014, 07:31 PM
we need south american influence ,,,style...I for one think it's a mistake if we lose Laba.....I have never seen with these eyes anyone more dogged chasing down balls...not an easy job or always relished...remember we gave away Sam Cronin.......

Haddy
01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Here is what he'll look like in TFC colours...

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/michael-bradley-set-to-complete-move-to-toronto-from-roma-according-to-report-010814

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fsc/img/2014/01/08/010814-MAJOR-MOVE-PI-CH_20140108153512905_660_320.JPG

Ron Manager
01-08-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't see that Laba has to go. He can be the more stay at home destroyer type and free up Bradley to play box to box and dictate play. Could be a brilliant combo as long as we can pay down Laba below DP status......or get an LA style rule change. Let's be honest, Bradley is a big enough deal for the league to bend some rules for.

Gazza
01-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Is this real life? I think with TL around, the league will look the other way when we decide to circumvent the rules and we'll still be able to hold onto Laba. I sure hope so since that would be an awesome midfield combo.

tfcleeds
01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Exactly what ive been saying. Mls has bent the rules before, for LAG most notably. Now is the time for us.

Gazza
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Ultra & Proud
01-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Exactly what ive been saying. Mls has bent the rules before, for LAG most notably. Now is the time for us.
Big +1

gdg_9
01-08-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't see that Laba has to go. He can be the more stay at home destroyer type and free up Bradley to play box to box and dictate play. Could be a brilliant combo as long as we can pay down Laba below DP status......or get an LA style rule change. Let's be honest, Bradley is a big enough deal for the league to bend some rules for.

I REALLY hope Bez can work his magic and find a way to keep Laba as well.

Laba and Bradley would be an amazing CM pair!
They are the perfect pair to play Nelson's preferred style - a destroyer, and a box-to-box guy!
And at 22 and 26, they are young enough to grow together and lock down the middle of the park for TFC for years to come!

MartinUtd
01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Is he a red? Or is this still just a rumour. Me thinks its the latter.

Oh, and if it is, kiss Matias Laba good bye.

loconet
01-08-2014, 08:12 PM
apparently some rule that DPs don't go through allocation process. It was supposedly there before Dempsey signing, but Dempsey was first time this rule was used

You know the rules in this league are completely bat-shit insane when yohan isn't 100% sure about something on the league. MLS player rules are lunacy!

Pinkie
01-08-2014, 08:20 PM
You know the rules in this league are completely bat-shit insane when yohan isn't 100% sure about something on the league. MLS player rules are lunacy!

Hahaha i was going to say that exact same thing.

IF this is true...then holy shit I'm excited for the season to begin! ( I was excited before with the defoe rumour...but this is insane!)

also LOL at a canadian team getting a USMNT superstar

Yohan
01-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I should apply for a job as capologist at MLS FO

MartinUtd
01-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Capologst from the DeVry Institute

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/season_15/south-park-1513-a-history-channel-thanksgiving-clip04.jpg

brad
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Is he a red? Or is this still just a rumour. Me thinks its the latter.

Oh, and if it is, kiss Matias Laba good bye.

It's not official but sounds about as done as done can be before the contract is actually signed. NBC reported earlier this evening that highly connected sources in ESPN confirmed that it is done.

Like any TFC deal, I'll believe it when I see him at a press conference, but this sounds about as legit as it gets before that.

tfcleeds
01-08-2014, 08:50 PM
It's not official but sounds about as done as done can be before the contract is actually signed. NBC reported earlier this evening that highly connected sources in ESPN confirmed that it is done.

Like any TFC deal, I'll believe it when I see him at a press conference, but this sounds about as legit as it gets before that.

Of course, we're TFC fans. So we understand more than most that things can go wrong betwixt "official" as per the media, and actual signature on the document. Even players that we've been tracking for 6 months (Urruti) don't end up staying. But yeah, this is about as official as you're going to get before the press conference. Here's hoping.

FluSH
01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Speechless! And they had me @ DeRo and Defoe!

OgtheDim
01-08-2014, 09:34 PM
After the hyperventilating and drooling and a bit of reflection:

Bradley is not a move to sell SS's to non-football knowing people. It is a move to sell SS's to people who look at the complete package and figure this team will be relevant.

He would be the best midfielder in the league, bar none.

I remember spending much of last season hoping to see the complete best possible team on the field and I don't think it happened once - somebody was always injured. With these 3 DP's, hopefully somebody of quality attacking guile should always be on the pitch.

sidvan
01-08-2014, 09:36 PM
After the hyperventilating and drooling and a bit of reflection:

Bradley is not a move to sell SS's to non-football knowing people. It is a move to sell SS's to people who look at the complete package and figure this team will be relevant.

He would be the best midfielder in the league, bar none.

He'll rip ...

Hold up the shirt, hold up the shirt, hold up the shirt - now it's done :yum:

Ultra & Proud
01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Best part about this potential deal is that last seasons much maligned meaningless friendly probably factored in Bradley being interested in TFC since they gave Roma the full spread treatment and gave them full access to our facilities.

69Chevy396
01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I only have one concern, will the new players mind subbing for our striker of his generation, Mr Wiedeman?

Flipityflu
01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
don't think i've seen this posted...

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1674922/toronto-fc-set-acquire-michael-bradley-roma?cc=5901

69Chevy396
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
You are kidding, right? Rome is to soccer, what Toronto is to hockey. He is coming here because of a 600 percent pay raise and guaranteed playing time.

Ultra & Proud
01-08-2014, 09:55 PM
You are kidding, right? Rome is to soccer, what Toronto is to hockey. He is coming here because of a 600 percent pay raise and guaranteed playing time.
And because we have facilities to use and prepare for the WC. He comes to MLS then he gets that raise anywhere and every team would take him even if it were paid down by MLS like Dempsey. Here we have a good city and a good training ground. Lots to like about T.O after you actually see it.

TFC07
01-08-2014, 09:56 PM

And better lifestyle according to Lalas

Ultra & Proud
01-08-2014, 09:57 PM
And better lifestyle according Lalas
And probably a pretty swank lakefront MLSE condo too.

Couchy81
01-08-2014, 10:01 PM
The heads exploding all over the news sites are great. Every comment is about it being a "step backwards". The question is how many players have to make a step back before MLS as a league takes a step forward? Gotta think it will be getting close to that point soon. This year how nice will it be standing at BMO watching Defoe and Bradley vs. Donovan and Keane?

Ultra & Proud
01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
The heads exploding all over the news sites are great. Every comment is about it being a "step backwards". The question is how many players have to make a step back before MLS as a league takes a step forward? Gotta think it will be getting close to that point soon. This year how nice will it be standing at BMO watching Defoe and Bradley vs. Donovan and Keane?
A lot nicer than watching Wiedeman and Braun facing them. That's for sure. Crazy that we are this far ahead this early in the year. Usually we have like 14 players on the roster in early January.

Flipityflu
01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
whats funny about this is the amount of negative comments about a top US player leaving Serie A for the MLS like its a step back for the US overseas reputation.

Pint
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM

would be awesome but won't happen unless we get them in CCL.... we don't play them at home during the regular season

Waggy
01-08-2014, 10:09 PM
And better lifestyle according to Lalas

I dunno how many here are basketball fans but for those who are, remember Anthony Davis' real issues with his kids getting a Canadian education instead of American? Maybe Bradley didn't want his kid growing up in a completely different culture. That's a reasonable thing to me (much more than something like having to learn O Canada instead of the Star Spangled Banner). Also his extended family is all relatively close. Realistically there are only a few clubs in MLS who would consider/be able to pay a salary like what he's getting. It's LA, Seattle, NY or Toronto. And LA, Seattle and NY already have their DPs in place. So the only MLS market he could come to is Toronto. I'm sure being here before helped, and having great facilities does too. But like someone else said (was it Ogden? Sorry I don't recall). This seems like it was a real confluence of timing, opportunity, luck and money.

Edit: @Flipityflu remember how people here thought of Kovalchuk for bailing on the NHL and going to the KHL? It's a natural reaction. Also I dunno about anyone else, but until the Russian roster was named I TOTALLY forgot Kovalchuk hadn't just up and retired. So there may be something to the whole international prestige thing. But really, who gives a crap. If he performs in the World Cup the world will know and remember.

Yohan
01-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Best part about this potential deal is that last seasons much maligned meaningless friendly probably factored in Bradley being interested in TFC since they gave Roma the full spread treatment and gave them full access to our facilities.
I'd say that is only small part. Having Bradley see TFC facilities and Toronto was a bonus, but considering how much money TFC is paying him, he'd be foolish to turn that down. Apparently MLS got the word that Bradley was available and sent out a call to all MLS teams to see who's interested, and TFC jumped. So Bradley could end up in another club. (Latest rumour says Wolfsburg and another German club is interested)

Ossington Mental Youth
01-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Werder Bremen is the other team, they definitely can't afford him right now. If they did take him it'd be on loan or at a discount. Wolfsburg do have a lot of money though

BakaGaijin
01-08-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm not good at math.......but I think if the Defoe and Bradley signings both go through..........they will cost more than it did to build BMO Field and pay for the TFC expansion fee.

Wow.

ManUtd4ever
01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
whats funny about this is the amount of negative comments about a top US player leaving Serie A for the MLS like its a step back for the US overseas reputation.

It's unsubstantiated criticism in my opinion. Landon Donovan has spent the majority of his career in MLS and he has always been a standout for the USMNT.

gate7
01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Bradley's first mls goal: (btw pause it at :28 sec.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGwwHIgiP4

ensco
01-08-2014, 10:39 PM
It's unsubstantiated criticism in my opinion. Landon Donovan has spent the majority of his career in MLS and he has always been a standout for the USMNT.

It's impossible not to think that any elite player moving from the top leagues to MLS in his prime isn't hurting his international career.

The fact that Donovan has maintained his international career out of MLS is an exception, an anecdote.

Globetrotter
01-08-2014, 10:40 PM

In your dreams. I don't think LA visits Toronto this season :)

Yohan
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
true, but I think he could have been better in Europe

Jimmy The Saint
01-08-2014, 10:43 PM
It's impossible not to think that any elite player moving from the top leagues to MLS in his prime isn't hurting his international career.

The fact that Donovan has maintained his international career out of MLS is an exception, an anecdote.

Then why are the majority of the 26 that Klinsmaan called to January's USMNT camp in the MLS?

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/usmnt-january-training-camp-roster-jurgen-klinsmann-brazil-2014

Globetrotter
01-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I heard that TFC is valued at $120 million.

The transfer fees + salary for Defoe and Bradley is around $100 million.

69Chevy396
01-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm not good at math.......but I think if the Defoe and Bradley signings both go through..........they will cost more than it did to build BMO Field and pay for the TFC expansion fee.

Wow.
After giving us years of garbage soccer, watching the likes of Harmse and Lombardo, we DESERVE this. MLSE can pay $5 or $6 million to a bum like Clarkson to play 10 min of useless hockey, they can sure as hell ante up to provide us these new players. Now, if Wiedeman wants to play, he will have to ply his trade in a lower league. Things are finally looking good.

cmonyoureds
01-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Defoe caught my interest
Adding Bradley has got my attention.
If these come through I may have to give Mr. Human Pufferfish some credit. A reversal of attitude I'd be happy to make.

cmonyoureds
01-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Then why are the majority of the 26 that Klinsmaan called to January's USMNT camp in the MLS?

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/usmnt-january-training-camp-roster-jurgen-klinsmann-brazil-2014

If the team performs well in Brazil it's a giant leap forward for MLS.

ensco
01-08-2014, 10:52 PM

You cannot be serious. Do I really have to point out that January is midseason in Europe and offseason in the US?

ManUtd4ever
01-08-2014, 10:56 PM

True, but there can be other exceptions as well, and the level of play in MLS is dramatically improving on a consistent basis. I don't buy into the notion that Bradley is going to suddenly have less of an impact for the USMNT if he is playing regularly in MLS.

Jimmy The Saint
01-08-2014, 10:57 PM
You cannot be serious. Do I really have to point out that January is midseason in Europe and offseason in the US?

"The preliminary roster features 10 players who helped the U.S. advance to the World Cup for the seventh straight time. Midfielder Graham Zusi led all players with nine appearances while defender Omar Gonzalez and forward Eddie Johnson had eight each"

That's almost half their roster from MLS.

I know what time of the year it is.

OgtheDim
01-08-2014, 10:59 PM
If the team performs well in Brazil it's a giant leap forward for MLS.

Lalas tweeted about this. If the team tanks in Brazil, blame MLS. If the team does well, its in spite of MLS.

The eurosnobs suffer Donovan as an anomaly. But somebody pointed out that a probable starting 11 in the WC would include 9 MLS players + Howard and Altidore. And even though Klinsman keeps talking about players seeking big leagues, the players who do tend to get stuck while the ones who have stayed have not seen their USMNT chances hurt.

Flipityflu
01-08-2014, 11:00 PM
wow, start adding up the numbers for transfer fee's and contract, and Toronto FC could be spending around $100 million for two players.

Detroit_TFC
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM

January camp before WC is a prospects camp mostly for MLS and Scandinavian lges players. Not the first squad.

khso11
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video?id=intl:1674994

Paul Mariner's analysis on the move, HAHAHAHA

namebutler
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Interesting background info. With hair.

Michael Bradley MLS Childhood.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/07/19/michael-bradleys-mls-childhood-mls-insider-episode-5

Haddy
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=440739

Jack: Bradley's MLS arrival shouldn't come as a surprise (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=440739)

khso11
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
i hope Laba stays, he is a vital part of TFC's midfield and defense!

brad
01-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I heard that TFC is valued at $120 million.

The transfer fees + salary for Defoe and Bradley is around $100 million.

Doesn't matter. TFC are a loss leader for Bogers to sell other products and content in their main revenue streams. They don't need to make a profit with TFC. They need TFC to become popular enough again to drive interest so that people choose phones and data plans to view exclusive content on their networks. And I'm sure there are a whole lot of other angles being worked.

Yohan
01-08-2014, 11:17 PM
January camp before WC is a prospects camp mostly for MLS and Scandinavian lges players. Not the first squad.
2014 USMNT JANUARY CAMP ROSTER
GOALKEEPERS (4): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (10): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Chris Klute (Colorado Rapids), Chance Myers (Sporting Kansas City), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Seth Sinovic (Sporting Kansas City), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (4): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Lots of dudes who are going, or have a good shot of making WC squad

Borga
01-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I think MLSE knows that Toronto is ready to embrace a winner with international profile. These kind of moves bring international profile, and if TFC can win, fan interest will drive doubling the size of BMO Field and turn this into a profitable venture in the long run.

Edit: And I say international profile because the Argos won, and nobody cared afterwards because the CFL isn't bigtime sport for Toronto fans.

JonO
01-08-2014, 11:30 PM

generally I would agree with you, but from what I understand he had dropped in the depth chart at Roma. MLS can't be worse than the bench. I appreciate that he should maybe have considered another option in Europe, but maybe those options weren't so good

sashavukelich
01-08-2014, 11:35 PM

because the metrostars received a transfer fee for him, i BELIEVE. Might be wrong.

razor787
01-08-2014, 11:49 PM
because the metrostars received a transfer fee for him, i BELIEVE. Might be wrong.

DP's don't go through the allocation process. You can call that one the 'Dempsey rule'.

Milanista
01-08-2014, 11:53 PM
true plus you would have to break all this salaries spent yearly…yeah they probably spend 100 mil on salaries but it isn't lump sum amounts, its yearly..plus everybody else on the roster combined don't make shit so it really isn't all that much cash…

Doesn't matter. TFC are a loss leader for Bogers to sell other products and content in their main revenue streams. They don't need to make a profit with TFC. They need TFC to become popular enough again to drive interest so that people choose phones and data plans to view exclusive content on their networks. And I'm sure there are a whole lot of other angles being worked.

__wowza
01-08-2014, 11:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jTnU1nV.gif

adam1001
01-09-2014, 12:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jTnU1nV.gif
+1. Your username is a perfect description of today's events. :drum:

Haddy
01-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Landon DonovanVerified account‏@landondonovan (https://twitter.com/landondonovan)

Love seeing @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS) continue to reward US players. It's no longer taboo to play here...players want to be here in their prime #GrowingTheGame (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GrowingTheGame&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/landondonovan/statuses/421122677219139584

GuelphStorm2007
01-09-2014, 12:36 AM
If this is true I say awesome But I have my doubts

Cashcleaner
01-09-2014, 12:55 AM
I'm hearing this is gonna be a long-term signing. Like over four years or so. Honestly, I had no idea we were even considering the guy up until today!

Fuck though, I need to let all this sink in. Defoe is confirmed. DeRo is confirmed. And now we're listing Mike Bradley as probable? So, back to the drawing board with all those theoretical formations, eh?

That article Haddy linked to actually brings up some good points about American layers coming home to North America to play in MLS.

__wowza
01-09-2014, 12:57 AM
If this is true I say awesome But I have my doubts

as a spurs fan, i'm even tempted to second guess a signing when you hear they're on a plane headed in for a physical.

there's something about these recent developments though.. i just can't quite put my finger it, but they feel different.

reggie
01-09-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm hearing this is gonna be a long-term signing. Like over four years or so. Honestly, I had no idea we were even considering the guy up until today!

Fuck though, I need to let all this sink in. Defoe is confirmed. DeRo is confirmed. And now we're listing Mike Bradley as probable? So, back to the drawing board with all those theoretical formations, eh?
could be the start of something great....now we must bring back the great CASHZILLA

GuelphStorm2007
01-09-2014, 01:08 AM
as a spurs fan, i'm even tempted to second guess a signing when you hear they're on a plane headed in for a physical.

there's something about these recent developments though.. i just can't quite put my finger it, but they feel different.

I so agree with you wowza but Until I see TFC announce a news conference saying they have a major signing then I will believe it

GuelphStorm2007
01-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I Have never been fussy on some of the American players for example guys like Frankie Hejduk, Donavan, I detest B ut I have always liked Bradley and I always thought his Dad was a decent Manager for the U.S.

GuelphStorm2007
01-09-2014, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE=Borga;1631973]I think MLSE knows that Toronto is ready to embrace a winner with international profile. These kind of moves bring international profile, and if TFC can win, fan interest will drive doubling the size of BMO Field and turn this into a profitable venture in the long run.

Edit: And I say international profile because the Argos won, and nobody cared afterwards because the CFL isn't bigtime sport for Toronto fans.[/QUOTE

My late Uncle Rick always did say that he thought that Toronto was a better Soccer city than a Hockey city. and for what you are saying Borga could happen and lets face it Toronto could use all improved International Exposure it can have

__wowza
01-09-2014, 01:26 AM
I so agree with you wowza but Until I see TFC announce a news conference saying they have a major signing then I will believe it

until i see their names on a contract, followed by pictures of them holding their shirts, followed by them taking the pitch for longer than 37 minutes (i forgot who made that point already), i'll keep my guard up.

cautiously optimistic: i think should be the RPB official motto.

GuelphStorm2007
01-09-2014, 01:46 AM
until i see their names on a contract, followed by pictures of them holding their shirts, followed by them taking the pitch for longer than 37 minutes (i forgot who made that point already), i'll keep my guard up.

cautiously optimistic: i think should be the RPB official motto.

Very True Wowza

habstfc
01-09-2014, 02:58 AM
2 things. I think those spitting ads were for Defoe and Bradley. I know Bradley is a solid player and key piece of USMNT but is he worth the 6.5million that is being reported? I am very excited regardless of the money involved.

Stryker
01-09-2014, 03:27 AM
I think what's really interesting here is that if the signing we're expecting pan out, the best way to start all of our strongest players would seemingly be to go to a 4-3-2-1 formation.

-----------------Defoe----------------
----------DeRo---------Gilberto-------
----Laba-------Bradley-----Jackson---

If Nelson wants to play Gilberto up top alongside Defoe and bring Laba in towards center he could go with a 4-2-2-2.

Personally I find either formation more exciting than a stand 4-4-2.

ensco
01-09-2014, 05:33 AM
^If Laba stays, and you have both Laba and Bradley sitting in front of the defenders, I don't think we're going 4 at the back now. We are still very weak at the back. You wouldn't want or need to have two of Henry , Morgan, Bloom or Richter out there, with a strong defensive MF in place.

I'd wager it'll be a 3-4-1-2 or similar, with Jackson as one wingback, and Rey or Lambe as the other. Something tells me Lambe could be very effective as a wingback, with the better support he'd be getting.

We would now have a little depth at forward and in MF, and even with 3 at the back, two of Dike, Dero and Osorio won't start. If we get a decent fullback in somehow, to go with Caldwell and Morrow, then I think we can be a playoff team.

All it took was $100M.

ensco
01-09-2014, 06:47 AM
GOALKEEPERS (4): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (10): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Chris Klute (Colorado Rapids), Chance Myers (Sporting Kansas City), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Seth Sinovic (Sporting Kansas City), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (4): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Listen, I think we need to be real about this. "Going, or have a shot at going", is not the point. The entire core, the 5-7 key players of the US team, play in Europe. Donovan was (or is) an exception.

The US is missing those 2-3 breakthrough players who are the stemwinders for the big national teams and are real difference makers and star for Champions League teams. Having players like Bradley go from Roma to MLS at 26 decreases the odds of those players developing.

MLS is getting better but it's not elite football and won't be for a long time. Brazilians and Argentines would feel the same way if their best players came home from big European clubs at age 26. The angst of USMNT supporters is totally legit. There is a conflict between what is good for MLS and what is good for the USMNT. Not our problem though.

MLS needs homegrown stars, and while I can't quite yet get my head around the heart and soul of the USMNT as the captain of TFC, something tells me I'll get there pretty quickly.

brad
01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
2 things. I think those spitting ads were for Defoe and Bradley. I know Bradley is a solid player and key piece of USMNT but is he worth the 6.5million that is being reported? I am very excited regardless of the money involved.

If you factor in that we are going to have to pay a lot more money than overseas options for any quality player with other options (especially one that is 26) I think he is worth it.

ensco
01-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Still trying to understand....MLS must be paying the transfer a la Dempsey, but they can't really want Bradley in Toronto long-term, can they?

tinfoil theory 1: Bob Bradley is coming to run TFC.

tinfoil theory 2: Michael Bradley is a rental, and will be flipped to NYCFC at the end of this season. This gives Leiweke his January "shock and awe" move, and gets Bradley into the league at a moment when he is available, but making him the centerpiece of a US team makes much more sense for the league in the long run.

Technorgasm
01-09-2014, 07:26 AM
for a secobnd there, I thought the thread title was Michael Bradley is RAD.

and now that he is here, . . .he is.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/15/15f721d936ac878bd657a9f70dff3844fcd8e4fac994c310d3 1dfb7fa2759055.jpg

#BradleyTLA
#bRADTTLA

Luanda
01-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Still trying to understand....MLS must be paying the transfer a la Dempsey, but they can't really want Bradley in Toronto long-term, can they?

tinfoil theory 2: Michael Bradley is a rental, and will be flipped to NYCFC at the end of this season. This gives Leiweke his January "shock and awe" move, and gets Bradley into the league at a moment when he is available, but making him the centerpiece of a US team makes much more sense for the league in the long run.

# 2 would solve the Laba dilemma, would it not?

Fort York Redcoat
01-09-2014, 08:16 AM
MLS needs homegrown stars, and while I can't quite yet get my head around the heart and soul of the USMNT as the captain of TFC, something tells me I'll get there pretty quickly.

You're not alone. About heads and hearts. Not the quick part.

Glad I wasn't the first.

kuku
01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Boom!
RT @tancredipalmeri (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/tancredipalmeri): Bradley has accepted! He's moving from Roma to Toronto, 7m € deal

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/tancredipalmeri/status/421280098759618560) Fulham a week ago was close to get Bradley on loan with buying option, but this Toronto bid has changed everything

zeelaw
01-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't think that it's that tinfoil. I wondered the same.

trane
01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/09-01-2014/mercato-roma-bradley-il-toronto-offerta-7-milioni-major-league-soccer-202020530738.shtml

I read it in the Italian papers first, but it is for real, but not done. It also makes sense for Bradley, althought next year Roma are going to be a power in the CL, but Roma keep on signing big players in the mid, and now with Naingolan signed, Bradley is pushed back to the fourth (read bench) CM, their mid three is Naingolan, De Rossi, Strootman, does not get much better then that.

So long story short this could happen, and it would be huge for us, I always said he is the only yank player I really like great two way CM, he could be our playmaking CDM, and he could run the show.

Haddy
01-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Boom!
RT @tancredipalmeri (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/tancredipalmeri): Bradley has accepted! He's moving from Roma to Toronto, 7m € deal

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri1m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/tancredipalmeri/status/421280098759618560) Fulham a week ago was close to get Bradley on loan with buying option, but this Toronto bid has changed everything

He followed it up with Bradley's annual salary.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri)5m (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/421281317192355840)
Bradley to sign a 6-years deal, 1m $ per year

GBV
01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Agent:

http://www.romanews.us/2014/01/09/michael-bradley-agent-confirms-toronto-fc-move/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

pdubs
01-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Agent:

http://www.romanews.us/2014/01/09/michael-bradley-agent-confirms-toronto-fc-move/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

there it is wow.

trane
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/09-01-2014/mercato-roma-bradley-il-toronto-offerta-7-milioni-major-league-soccer-202020530738.shtml

I read it in the Italian papers first, but it is for real, but not done. It also makes sense for Bradley, althought next year Roma are going to be a power in the CL, but Roma keep on signing big players in the mid, and now with Naingolan signed, Bradley is pushed back to the fourth (read bench) CM, their mid three is Naingolan, De Rossi, Strootman, does not get much better then that.

So long story short this could happen, and it would be huge for us, I always said he is the only yank player I really like great two way CM, he could be our playmaking CDM, and he could run the show.

I just re-read the article in Italian and it says that we signed Defoe yesterday, was there something official that I missed?

ryan
01-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Klinsmann is trying to get the best players for the US playing together in the their own league. Much like other soccer powers do. I think it's the right strategy.

We've seen (well Canadian fans if you are one) how a much lesser skilled lineup (like a Caribbean minnow) can hold their own simply because of their chemistry by playing together regularly.

Having the American players in MLS playing together is what's best for the USSF. It might not be ideal for Bradley's club career as he has the talent to play in stronger league and compete in UEFA tournaments, but if he desires getting the most money and wanting to help the US succeed internationally, then he's making the right move IMO.

I seriously don't think you can seriously consider yourself in the race for winning a World Cup if your players are scattered around the world. The top European nations who are in the race, have the bulk of their players playing at home. The exception would be the top South American nations as those players are spread around the globe, but fuck those folks have something in the water because they were just born to kick a ball like we're born to shoot pucks and smoke..err...curl rocks.

Phil
01-09-2014, 09:50 AM
I just re-read the article in Italian and it says that we signed Defoe yesterday, was there something official that I missed?

Its still rumour but pretty much acknowleged now. He is flying in this weekend to make it official on Monday.

Canary10
01-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Klinsmann is trying to get the best players for the US playing together in the their own league. Much like other soccer powers do. I think it's the right strategy.

We've seen (well Canadian fans if you are one) how a much lesser skilled lineup (like a Caribbean minnow) can hold their own simply because of their chemistry by playing together regularly.

Having the American players in MLS playing together is what's best for the USSF. It might not be ideal for Bradley's club career as he has the talent to play in stronger league and compete in UEFA tournaments, but if he desires getting the most money and wanting to help the US succeed internationally, then he's making the right move IMO.

I seriously don't think you can seriously consider yourself in the race for winning a World Cup if your players are scattered around the world. The top European nations who are in the race, have the bulk of their players playing at home. The exception would be the top South American nations as those players are spread around the globe, but fuck those folks have something in the water because they were just born to kick a ball like we're born to shoot pucks and smoke..err...curl rocks.

Klinsmann's strategy is actually the opposite. He's trying to get American players playing club football at the highest level. Apparently he was not at all happy when Dempsey signed with Seattle. And was really pushing him to go back on loan this January. He won't be happy about Bradley either. But these guys have to do what's right for themselves. They don't get much chance to make the money. They should take it.

Damien
01-09-2014, 10:00 AM

This is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw this. He's USA's stud so where better to place him than in NYC?
Whatever though... if they flip him at seasons end im sure we can fleece NYC for something good.... if not, i'll throw a bag of pee at them.

Haddy
01-09-2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/sharman-toronto-fc-could-be-a-contender/

Sharman: Toronto FC could be a contender

trane
01-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I agree with Sharman, but is it done.

pdubs
01-09-2014, 10:29 AM
I agree with Sharman, but is it done.

bradleys agent apparently said it was done on a radio show today. so idk. im just surprised this was completely under the radar, first time we hear about it he is apparently signed lol.

trane
01-09-2014, 10:34 AM
^This was not a possibility untill Nainggolan signed with Roma. This shows that this managment team is real keeping their eyes open for opportunities and are jumping at them. I like it.

pdubs
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Maybe we have actual scouts now?

trane
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
^ One hopes.

denime
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
^This was not a possibility untill Nainggolan signed with Roma. This shows that this managment team is real keeping their eyes open for opportunities and are jumping at them. I like it.

And you complained how TFC doesn't get any players from Italy/ Seria A :poke::hide:_ ;)

trane
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
^ I was going to make a joke about that. But I thought it was better to leave it alone.

Milanista
01-09-2014, 10:43 AM
lol now if they signed De Rossi instead

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2014, 10:44 AM
And you complained how TFC doesn't get any players from Italy/ Seria A :poke::hide:_ ;)
I don't think Bradley was what people were looking for when they said sign a Serie A player though.

pekduck
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
:topic::topic::topic:

Thank you gents

denime
^ I was going to make a joke about that. But I thought it was better to leave it alone.

it was a joke,didn't want to start any bad discussion about it.

redcard
sportsnet said 7mill euro transfer fee, 6 year contract $1mill per season.

denime
I don't think Bradley was what people were looking for when they said sign a Serie A player though.

a joke / sarcasm anyone,no?

pekduck
01-09-2014, 10:50 AM
:topic:
:hulk:

trane
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
it was a joke,didn't want to start any bad discussion about it.

I know it was, and I would have made a joke too, but I knew it would end up in a DISCUSSION.

Redcoe15
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Well I'm impressed by all this. But I'll wait to see how all this plays out in the coming season on the pitch first. This is after all Toronto FC, and bad vibes have stuck to this club like a bad wine stain.

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
sportsnet said 7mill euro transfer fee, 6 year contract $1mill per season.

The must be quoting one of those mixed up reports.

Bradley gets paid more then that now at Roma. The 800K figure is after taxes.

Jack
01-09-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm not buying the conspiracy theories. Leiweke doesn't play that way.

Detroit_TFC
01-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Yeah, I see what you are saying. Ok, more first teams guys than usual.

Milanista
01-09-2014, 11:02 AM
1 mil a yr, great deal

Yohan
01-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I see what you are saying. Ok, more first teams guys than usual.
just a shift in where USMNT players play from past years. more ply their trade in MLS than Europe lately. (and I think Mix and Wondo also have good shots of making the cut)

notthesun
01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I have doubts for now, but if it really is $1 million per year, that's an amazing deal.

Yohan
01-09-2014, 11:22 AM
I have doubts for now, but if it really is $1 million per year, that's an amazing deal.
if it's merely 1 mil/yr, Bradley is a dumb ass, and USMNT supporters should rightly crucify him

TFC07
01-09-2014, 11:25 AM
if it's merely 1 mil/yr, Bradley is a dumb ass, and USMNT supporters should rightly crucify him

Huh? Why? Bradley wants playing time and job security. He wasn't going to get that in Europe!

Yohan
01-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Huh? Why? Bradley wants playing time and job security. He wasn't going to get that in Europe!
he's good enough for Roma. he could have latched on to mid bottom team in EPL/Bundesliga/Serie A (and supposedly lots of interest in him)

TFC07
01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
he's good enough for Roma. he could have latched on to mid bottom team in EPL/Bundesliga/Serie A (and supposedly lots of interest in him)

There was no guarantee he will get playing time on those mid and bottom level clubs in Europe and plus money & job security wasn't there. Also maybe Bradley wasn't happy being in Europe and wanted to come back?

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
1 mil a yr, great deal

Its not.

Only one report, out of Italy, indicated it was that amount, and it seemed more like a mixup based on somebody dividing the contract amount per year by the number of years.

Every other report has been between $5.7 and $6.5 million a year for 4-6 years.

Yohan
01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
There was no guarantee he will get playing time on those mid and bottom level clubs in Europe and plus money & job security wasn't there. Also maybe Bradley wasn't happy being in Europe and wanted to come back?
maybe. dude just had a kid. but one thing about Bradley is that he's a competitor, and apparently he wanted to play in CL so bad. only think that'd trump that is financial security for his family, but for 1 mil/yr contract, he'd have fought for a place in Europe instead of security in MLS. (and why I think Bradley will be amazing for TFC. dude wants to win so bad)

trane
01-09-2014, 11:59 AM
^ I bet this was not even on the radar untill the Nainggolan signing. That is the bottom line. Roma will play in cl. Roma is only getting better, and could go far, Bradley would want to stay there for that, he helped Roma get to were they are now, but with the signing of Nainggolan, it relegates him to a second string player, and clearly he does not want that.

There are plenty of clubs in Europe which would have wanted Bradley. He is a very good top level two way mid.

billyfly
01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Maybe he just likes to live in the US (North America) more.

Yohan
01-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Maybe he just likes to live in the US (North America) more.
dude has been away in Europe since 18 yrs old or something like that.

Jack
01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
^ I bet this was not even on the radar untill the Nainggolan signing. That is the bottom line. Roma will play in cl. Roma is only getting better, and could go far, Bradley would want to stay there for that, he helped Roma get to were they are now, but with the signing of Nainggolan, it relegates him to a second string player, and clearly he does not want that.

There are plenty of clubs in Europe which would have wanted Bradley. He is a very good top level two way mid.

One could argue that Roma is better because they were playing other midfielders ahead of him this season. He was not in their first choice team.

billyfly
01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
dude has been away in Europe since 18 yrs old or something like that.

Sure. And maybe he never really liked it. Would rather return to NA.

mowe
01-09-2014, 12:34 PM

I think you're on to something. Reading his agent's comments (http://www.romanews.us/2014/01/09/michael-bradley-agent-confirms-toronto-fc-move/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)sheds some light on this.

“The choice was dictated by some market movements. Without waiting for January 31, he assessed to follow this path also to help the growth of American soccer.
“The arrival of Nainggolan? He has always felt like a major player, then the scale of values changed.
“There were also many requests from clubs in the Serie A like Hellas and Bologna, but it is a choice dictated by the appreciation towards the league and the American soccer.
“After 10 years in Europe he wanted to return to the United States. A bitter choice, but made ​​with heart. Roma reiterated the non-transferability until the end, this was his own choice.”

So it looks like he knew fell down the order with Nainggolan coming in and wanted a move to play regularly. He considers all his options, including letting MLS know he's looking for a new club. TFC steps up with a huge offer that he can't get anywhere else and he agrees. Wanting to help the league grow, moving closer to home, being (hopefully) impressed by what he saw when he came here with Roma, and the pitch our FO made to him on their Euro trip all probably played factor.

Stryker
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
IF he really is on one million a year its a brillant move. TL might not have wanted a DM for a DP already having Laba but he gets what he can, with a full preseason, keeps Laba, and trades Bradley next year for two great starters unless he pans out as invaluble. Its a very shred move.

Brooker
01-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Tim Leiweke doesn't fuck around, does he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAjily7rME

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Can I say this bigger.......lets see:

All reports but one out of Italy that might have been mistranslated say he is going to be paid between $5.4 and $6.5 million a year.

billyfly
01-09-2014, 01:22 PM
^TSN says the same.

Detroit_TFC
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Definitely. Whatever happened at Roma, it pissed him off big time. I wonder if promises were made that were not kept.

ag futbol
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Another article here on espn:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1675502/michael-bradley-agent-says-roma-toronto-transfer-complete?cc=5901

shwade
01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
The Americans are pissed about this.

billyfly
01-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Who's the dude from Columbus again? Archer?

What's he saying?

Voodooman
01-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Meh, let them be mad.

Waggy
01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
The Americans are pissed about this.

Haha yeah. Great innit? In the words of the great philosopher Dave Chappelle "HATE HATE HATE HATE. HATE HATE"

The irony of some of the USMT fans FREAKING out is their going to polarize the ones who are also MLS fans into becoming closet TFC fans/drive up interest in the club. I bet we see a few prime time national TV games in the states next year.

jloome
01-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Haha yeah. Great innit? In the words of the great philosopher Dave Chappelle "HATE HATE HATE HATE. HATE HATE"

The irony of some of the USMT fans FREAKING out is their going to polarize the ones who are also MLS fans into becoming closet TFC fans/drive up interest in the club. I bet we see a few prime time national TV games in the states next year.

I think we're seeing a lot of true xenophobic colors from our jingoistic neighbors to the south. It's not him coming to MLS that many of them hate, it's him coming to TFC.

GuelphStorm2007
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM

It is also being repoetwd on the BBC World about Defoe

kuku
01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Alf De Blasis ‏@dblas60 2m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/dblas60/status/421366511903592448) In post-game comments today, Rudi Garcia confirms Bradley chose to leave @OfficialASRoma (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/OfficialASRoma) & that club could not keep "unhappy" player. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Waggy
01-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I think we're seeing a lot of true xenophobic colors from our jingoistic neighbors to the south. It's not him coming to MLS that many of them hate, it's him coming to TFC.

I dunno, I seem to remember similar reactions to Dempsey coming to Seattle. The eurosnobs in the states can't fathom that one of their 'golden boys' would give up playing in one of the big european leagues to come to play soccer in North America. That Bradley is coming to Toronto makes it even worse, but ultimately even if he was coming to the Galaxy or Redbull of Beckham FC I think a lot of the reactions would be the same. The worry from what I can see in the Yanks Abroad/Reddit/ESPN threads is 1) his development will stagnate due to inferior competition and 2) some MLS 'hack' will take out his knee's. It seems to devolve into a whole chicken v egg thing about how to develop better American players. You need a better American league, but to develop the best possible players they need to be playing in the highest level possible. How does the American league get better without having the best Americans in it though? Whatever, their problem. He's our player now*! (*touches wood furiously until monday)

Ron Manager
01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I dunno, I seem to remember similar reactions to Dempsey coming to Seattle. The eurosnobs in the states can't fathom that one of their 'golden boys' would give up playing in one of the big european leagues to come to play soccer in North America. That Bradley is coming to Toronto makes it even worse, but ultimately even if he was coming to the Galaxy or Redbull of Beckham FC I think a lot of the reactions would be the same. The worry from what I can see in the Yanks Abroad/Reddit/ESPN threads is 1) his development will stagnate due to inferior competition and 2) some MLS 'hack' will take out his knee's. It seems to devolve into a whole chicken v egg thing about how to develop better American players. You need a better American league, but to develop the best possible players they need to be playing in the highest level possible. How does the American league get better without having the best Americans in it though? Whatever, their problem. He's our player now*! (*touches wood furiously until monday)

Wow, you are excited......

jloome
01-09-2014, 03:12 PM

If you'd really like, I can list all of the "yeah, but to TFC..." comments for you.

Yes, their principle concern is the quality of the league. But there is a HUGE amount of anti-TFC crap on both bigsoccer and mlssoccer.com

Detroit_TFC
01-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Haven't seen a feeding frenzy like this since Beckham. Obviously this doesn't have the pop culture aspect that had but enough where it is sloshing into mainstream sports media. Noticed that Outside The Lines, a well regarded ESPN media panel show (one with actual discussion as opposed to the overheated "discussion" shows they usually have) is doing a segment today on MB coming back to MLS.

Fort York Redcoat
01-09-2014, 03:28 PM
If you'd really like, I can list all of the "yeah, but to TFC..." comments for you.

Yes, their principle concern is the quality of the league. But there is a HUGE amount of anti-TFC crap on both bigsoccer and mlssoccer.com

Wow. Those are still things? Thanks for checking in with those things so I don't have to.

pdubs
01-09-2014, 03:53 PM
moar.

Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman) 1m (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/421383414319562752) Roma coach Garcia: "It’s a shame Bradley is leaving, but he wanted to go and we cannot keep hold of a player who doesn’t want to be here."

trane
01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/09-01-2014/bradley-escluso-convocati-la-partita-coppa-italia-gia-toronto-202021897040.shtml

Gazzetta dello sport confirms it is a done deal, and it sounds like he will be in town soon.

pdubs
01-09-2014, 04:09 PM
huge presser on monday for both?

Pint
01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
I would assume that the presser monday will be for both.... at real sports with MLSE pulling out all the stops i would guess

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2014, 04:16 PM
I would assume that the presser monday will be for both.... at real sports with MLSE pulling out all the stops i would guess

The Sun said the presser was from Trump Tower.

Pint
01-09-2014, 04:17 PM
The Sun said the presser was from Trump Tower.

Only if the press conference is different from what is going on from 3-5 at real sports

CommradePolski
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Presser will probably be at 1pm til 2pm for the scrums and photo ops. Then they will be limo'd over to real sports for 3pm.

mastermixer
01-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Presser will probably be at 1pm til 2pm for the scrums and photo ops. Then they will be limo'd over to real sports for 3pm.

Logistically, you would think they would combine the press conference and whatever event is at 3pm at Real Sports?

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Logistically, you would think they would combine the press conference and whatever event is at 3pm at Real Sports?
The Realsports one will probably have DeRo, Bradley, Gilberto, & Defoe there for a jersey unveiling or something to that effect. Plus a whole lot of speeches.

CommradePolski
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
I dont see why it would make a difference.

The presser is going to be streamed/aired from 1-2pm then the event from 3-5 as a mini welcoming party that isnt streamed. Its probably easier logistically. If they were to stream the thing from real sports theyd have a lot more setup and make sure people are sitting etc etc. But at real sports they introduce the players and then say to everyone lets eat and mingle. bingo bango donzo.

backbeat
01-09-2014, 04:34 PM
The Realsports one will probably have DeRo, Bradley, Gilberto, & Defoe there for a jersey unveiling or something to that effect. Plus a whole lot of speeches.

....and I hope Laba, however unlikely.

Pinkie
01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
hahahahaha this is great. mind you it's only usatoday

http://i.imgur.com/VWvaDPKl.png

pdubs
01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
murica mad eh

Shakes McQueen
01-09-2014, 05:15 PM

1) They probably should have made it clear that was an editorial, and not a news article.
2) Fuck me is the USA Today website awful looking.
3) They seriously have a sports section called "For The Win"?

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2014, 05:29 PM

"U.S star leaves top club for formerly terrible soccer team" Fixed.

Areathrasher
01-09-2014, 05:29 PM
http://www.asroma.it/pdf/corporate/operazioni_di_mercato/2014_09_01_Bradley.pdf

OFFICAL: BRADLEY SOLD TO MLS FOR $10MILLION

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
....and I hope Laba, however unlikely.

He isn't new though. This is about a new beginning and making a splash. I was going to type Morrow and Jackson too but I figured they'd not be there because a lot of folks there would be like "So, who are those two dudes on the end? Coaches or translators?".

pdubs
01-09-2014, 05:36 PM
A.S. Roma ‏@OfficialASRoma (https://twitter.com/OfficialASRoma) 10m (https://twitter.com/OfficialASRoma/status/421406953232146433) Grazie, Michael #Bradley (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bradley&src=hash) for taking part in this adventure with us: good luck! pic.twitter.com/ALFt6lSSYF (http://t.co/ALFt6lSSYF)

Simple
01-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Comfortably the most excited I've been for any signing in our history.

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Comfortably the most excited I've been for any signing in our history.

I was pretty excited about JDG and DeRo 1.0 too as well as the Frings/Koev swoop. This time however, it seems like last season at least set a foundation in place to start this year running instead of still getting in new players after Opening Kick and trying to get a system implemented (or even have a system ala DeRo 1-0 era). Much more optimistic than ever before.

notthesun
01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
#done

Now the interesting part... what do we do with Laba? A loan would be nice, a rule change would be better. A trade I could live with if it's a good one.

Yohan
01-09-2014, 06:03 PM
#done

Now the interesting part... what do we do with Laba? A loan would be nice, a rule change would be better. A trade I could live with if it's a good one.
roster compliance date isn't until like a week before first game so TFC has some time to figure out what to do with Laba. worst case is TFC can't deal Laba, and he goes through waiver draft and another team picks him up for free.

notthesun
01-09-2014, 06:09 PM
roster compliance date isn't until like a week before first game so TFC has some time to figure out what to do with Laba. worst case is TFC can't deal Laba, and he goes through waiver draft and another team picks him up for free.

Safe to say the chances of that happening are basically zero.

Hold on though, I've got it figured out... if we can't find him anything, loan him to our USL affiliate for the year :lol:

Yohan
01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Safe to say the chances of that happening are basically zero.

Hold on though, I've got it figured out... if we can't find him anything, loan him to our USL affiliate for the year :lol:
it may come to that, though I doubt Laba will be happy playing in USL

Marc"2L"
01-09-2014, 07:31 PM
I like the Lex Luther stuff, but would Stone Cold be better? The name rings a bit more and Steve Austin was bald of course.

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Mr. Clean

Chevy
01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Can we be a little more creative? Maybe Benedict Arnold? :)

Simple
01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Michael Bradley

Gazza
01-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Michael Bradley

I like it.

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Michael Bradley

That's so....so.....what's the word I'm thinking of......

notthesun
01-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I like the Lex Luther stuff, but would Stone Cold be better? The name rings a bit more and Steve Austin was bald of course.

Breaking Brad

Alonso
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
That's so....so.....what's the word I'm thinking of......

:idea:

..... Simple!

Red CB Toronto
01-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Michael Bradley is 'Merica, f... Yeh

Detroit_TFC
01-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Not that it would be at Roma, but no mentions of MB loan out until March to anybody?

Globetrotter
01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Can't DP's be bought out? One per season? There's ways to get rid of him if he can't fit into the equation for $ or # reasons.

ryan
01-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Klinsmann's strategy is actually the opposite. He's trying to get American players playing club football at the highest level. Apparently he was not at all happy when Dempsey signed with Seattle. And was really pushing him to go back on loan this January. He won't be happy about Bradley either. But these guys have to do what's right for themselves. They don't get much chance to make the money. They should take it.

Well I guess I read that wrong, although I still think I maintain somewhat of a point. Or so I will pretend!

Red CB Toronto
01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Not that it would be at Roma, but no mentions of MB loan out until March to anybody?
Or maybe head down to the Jan camp, sure JK would be up for adding him.

brad
01-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Great article on Bradley. Had one of the highest pass completion percentages in the Serie A

http://deadspin.com/americas-most-important-soccer-player-conquers-the-old-1113369327

Detroit_TFC
01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Or maybe head down to the Jan camp, sure JK would be up for adding him.

Yeah, probably so.

Inklink
01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Wow, he's going to tear...

gate7
01-09-2014, 09:50 PM
I think what's really interesting here is that if the signing we're expecting pan out, the best way to start all of our strongest players would seemingly be to go to a 4-3-2-1 formation.

If Nelson wants to play Gilberto up top alongside Defoe and bring Laba in towards center he could go with a 4-2-2-2.

EPIC!

MightyDM
01-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Can we be a little more creative? Maybe Benedict Arnold? :)

L.O.L.

Richard
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
I don't know, its kind hard to beat Lex Luther and that announcer who coined it.

KGH
01-09-2014, 10:57 PM

----------DeRo---------Gilberto-----
----Osario-------Bradley-----Rey----

I think it'll look a bit more like this (assuming laba has to go )

shwade
01-09-2014, 11:05 PM
----------------Gilberto---------------
Derosario----------------------Rey/Osorio
-------Osorio/Laba-----Bradley-------

Ivy
01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
I agree with the folks that think a 4-4-1-1 will be played.

Gilberto
Defoe
Rey-Dero-Bradley-Jackson
Morrow-Henry-Caldwell-Bloom

We need a RB and CB.
But I gotta say, on paper, this team should be feared - Like a beast.

trane
01-10-2014, 07:41 AM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/michael-bradley-toronto-f-c-transfer-mls/

Article seems to complete ignore the reality, that Bradley was already playing less at Roma and withe signing of Nainggolan he would be playing even less. So coming to TFC and being the GUY in a resurgent team ( I hope) is not so bad for his career.

Between going to Fulham on loan, and staying with Roma, even with less playing time, I would have stayed with Roma it is on the way up, TFC offers something else completely, and that is why he took it.

ensco
01-10-2014, 08:06 AM
I agree with the folks that think a 4-4-1-1 will be played.

Gilberto
Defoe
Rey-Dero-Bradley-Jackson
Morrow-Henry-Caldwell-Bloom

We need a RB and CB.
But I gotta say, on paper, this team should be feared - Like a beast.

Are you assuming Dike and Laba are gone?

Do you really sit both Dike or Laba in favour of one of Henry or Bloom?

You play your best players.

I think there is a misunderstanding about why Nelsen went 4-4-2 last year. I don't know why there is such certainty about 4 at the back.

brad
01-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Article seems to complete ignore the reality, that Bradley was already playing less at Roma and withe signing of Nainggolan he would be playing even less. So coming to TFC and being the GUY in a resurgent team ( I hope) is not so bad for his career.

Between going to Fulham on loan, and staying with Roma, even with less playing time, I would have stayed with Roma it is on the way up, TFC offers something else completely, and that is why he took it.

There were a couple other Serie A teams that wanted him Apparantly. Not the top teams though.

Ivy
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Are you assuming Dike and Laba are gone?

Do you really sit both Dike or Laba in favour of one of Henry or Bloom?

You play your best players.

I think there is a misunderstanding about why Nelsen went 4-4-2 last year. I don't know why there is such certainty about 4 at the back.
In my mind, Laba is gone.

ensco
01-10-2014, 08:19 AM
In my mind, Laba is gone.

If he is, then you are probably close to what it will be. But I think Dero sits, and Dike or Osorio (maybe both) start.

trane
01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
De Ro is not a central mid, he is a AM/SS/CF/WF.

ag futbol
01-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Lot of USMNT fans ignoring reality with this transaction. Similar to Defoe, great player, but the elevator wasn't going any higher from here on. And yes, athletes like to get paid as well despite everyone acting like making 6x your Salary is something anyone would ignore.

jloome
01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
De Ro is not a central mid, he is a AM/SS/CF/WF.

He was a very effective central mid in Houston. Had a dozen assists, or something like that. He said he'd like to play wide left, up top or behind the striker. If Bradley is the wrecking crew -- which along with distribution is his best asset, cutting off passing and clogging up movement -- then maybe DeRo sits right behind the strikers and they each play more one-way. Not very Nelsen, but...

Initial B
01-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Well, except for Morrow, the least amount of change this offseason was at the back. By the end of the season they were getting better at reading each other and I expect Nelsen will want to keep the chemistry as much as like last year as possible. I know, continuity has never been TFC's strong suit...

Jack
01-10-2014, 02:08 PM
He was a very effective central mid in Houston. Had a dozen assists, or something like that. He said he'd like to play wide left, up top or behind the striker. If Bradley is the wrecking crew -- which along with distribution is his best asset, cutting off passing and clogging up movement -- then maybe DeRo sits right behind the strikers and they each play more one-way. Not very Nelsen, but...
He hasn't been "in Houston" in half a decade, though, so I'm not sure he could fill that role anymore. It's been a long road since then and a lot of wear and tear.

ag futbol
01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
He was very much the AM in Houston as opposed to a regular midfielder. There were always running jokes about him tracking back.

ensco
01-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Bradley's first goal as a pro. Check out who the manager was.

http://youtu.be/YmGwwHIgiP4

Red CB Toronto
01-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Bradley's first goal as a pro. Check out who the manager was.

http://youtu.be/YmGwwHIgiP4

Yeh I saw that earlier, interesting none the least.

OgtheDim
01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
FWIW, Bradley not on the Roma today.

moralis
01-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Neil Davidson wrote in today's article (an hour ago) that a source told him that Bradley's signing is part of TFC's gala event tomorrow:

http://metronews.ca/sports/906723/toronto-fc-to-unveil-star-acquisitions/

Nestease
01-12-2014, 06:08 PM
FWIW, Bradley not on the Roma today.

Bradley will be arriving in Toronto today.

khso11
01-12-2014, 06:16 PM

haha, flight speculation again?

Gazza
01-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Pictures taken whilst on rollerblades or it didn't happen.

khso11
01-12-2014, 06:24 PM
1 flight from Rome today assuming it's a direct flight. AZ650 arriving at 7:15 pm (terminal 3).

http://www.torontopearson.com/en/flights/schedules/#

backbeat
01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
1 flight from Rome today assuming it's a direct flight. AZ650 arriving at 7:15 pm (terminal 3).

http://www.torontopearson.com/en/flights/schedules/#

anyone have pics???