PDA

View Full Version : Rob Earnshaw

tonyb
01-05-2014, 06:29 PM
How did he perform for you, rumoured that he starts training with us tomorrow, Defoe although small in stature will take your league by storm, pure quality, Fleetwood are a 2nd division team in there 2nd season on the football league, spent 100 years in non league. we may be small but we love our club.

Pint
01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
He was decent... did really well out of the gate (helped by a few PK goals) then slowed right down and missed some time with injuries for the bulk of the season, but came back at the end of the season and was okay.

Didn't really want him back considering he wasn't going to be one of our top 3 strikers. I don't really know what the quality of your league is like but don't expect Earnshaw to be anywhere close to where he was a few years ago.

0bl1vious
01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Scored a bunch of goals first few games, then disappeared into mediocrity.

I believe League 2 is the fourth tier in English football (correct me if I'm wrong), so he shouldn't disappoint.. but as stated above he's not the same player he was say, five years ago.

mowe
01-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Started the season hot, scored a few goals like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQn3YGFovQk , got figured out by defenses and didn't do much the rest of the year. Ended with 8 goals in 26 appearances, including 2 penalties.

razor787
01-05-2014, 07:16 PM
His stats are kind of skewed. His first goal he gobbled up a bad pass which gave him a 1-1 with the keepin within the first couple minutes of a game. Then he scored a couple PK's before disappearing.

I think he would do ok, but don't expect wonders from him.

prizby
01-05-2014, 07:30 PM
he's lost a lot of his elite, breakaway speed, in my opinion

he's pretty good at getting free kicks from 25 yards + at least on target, he had some close one's this year

he'll be your hero for a month; he is a very streaky striker; he'll go on a good run and then he'll go quiet for a longer period; that's what happened with us

he's a great interview; always enjoyed hearing his thoughts on TFC TV

prizby
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
out of curiosity, he was on the equivalent of probably 2000 pounds a week ($155,000 USD/year here); what type of wages do you think Fleetwood would be offering or are even able to pay?

OgtheDim
01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
... Fleetwood are a 2nd division team in there 2nd season on the football league, spent 100 years in non league. we may be small but we love our club.

Barrow supporter here. No hard feelings for you not beating Morecambe though. :)

He needs service. We didn't give him much. His first touch is still better then most strikers in our league and in yours. But he relied upon speed and he has lost a bit of that.

I'm not sure how he's going to do against some of your more robust opponents on pitches that are less then the dry serene things he has been seeing for the last few years.

Might do good though to be in a league without as much traveling as ours.

Yohan
01-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Earnshaw is a classic poacher. He thrives off through balls through the middle. Runs channels. Gets into good positions. Lost a lot of pace, but still has decent finishing. Right footed, but can score with his left. Good technique overall. About the most streakiest striker you'll see.

Leedsoronto
01-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Have we loaned him? Or is he moving for good ?

Phil
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
We declined the option for the second year, so he is on a free.

MartinUtd
01-06-2014, 10:35 AM
I like Earnshaw, he's still quick, although not like he used to be. I can't imagine him having much left in a year or two but for now I'd say he at least looked better than the forwards that Rochdale played in the FA cup this past weekend.

tfcleeds
01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
I like Earnshaw, he's still quick, although not like he used to be. I can't imagine him having much left in a year or two but for now I'd say he at least looked better than the forwards that Rochdale played in the FA cup this past weekend.Ugghh, I didn't need to be reminded of that. ;-)

MartinUtd
01-06-2014, 11:08 AM
lol, yeah it was a tough one to swallow, we looked listless and I have to admit by the 80th minute I wanted us out of the cup just to light a fire under the ownership before the window closes. In all honestly, some days I'd probably take Earnshaw over Smith and Varney. Especially if they're not playing Diouf.

trane
01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Loss of speed was the biggest thing for him, it was his primary tool so with that gone his effectivness was gone. I am not sure how he will do in league 2, I imagine the teams are better organized, more fundametaly sound, but you may not have so many athletic players, not so much pace, so earnshaw may make an impact.

ensco
01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
When this style of striker loses the tiniest bit of pace, they become very ordinary in a hurry.

Oh sorry, i thought this was the Defoe thread.

MG42
01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
^Hahaha well done!

trane
01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
When this style of striker loses the tiniest bit of pace, they become very ordinary in a hurry.

Oh sorry, i thought this was the Defoe thread.

That is what I am thinking. I hope I am wrong.

Canary_canuck
01-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I like Earnshaw, he's still quick, although not like he used to be. I can't imagine him having much left in a year or two but for now I'd say he at least looked better than the forwards that Rochdale played in the FA cup this past weekend.
I have always liked Earnshaw from the days of watching him at Norwich. That said, most of the preceding comments seem appropriate to me. However, I watched the Rochdale game and thought their forwards ( such as Hogan and Henderson ) were pretty good and the goals top drawer. My step-father is a long time Leeds fan and he was chagrined but conceded the Dale were the better side on the day. That is why the FA Cup is such a great spectacle.

tonyb
01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
cheers for the info, hey Barrow fan shame to hear about the club and its finances, always like localish clubs to do well even the six fingered ones, Prizby, salary not a problem but would imagine a pay per game deal, when does your season start?.

prizby
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
season starts officially March 8th; we have a bye (19 team league); we KO in Seattle on March 15th

OgtheDim
01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
cheers for the info, hey Barrow fan shame to hear about the club and its finances, always like localish clubs to do well even the six fingered ones, ...

Six fingered would be Workington....nearer the Nuclear plant. Financial woes seem to be the thing for teams in smaller centres. At least we are no longer owned by a Scouse organized crime gang like we were 14 years ago. All the best.

tonyb
01-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Wukkies only have 5 1/2 fingers barrovians have 6, seriously am concerned about barrow and do remember the vaughn days, always look for their results, incidentally how long is it since you last visited Holker St?, genuine question.

OgtheDim
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
A long long long time ago.....the 80's.

Things have changed.

FluSH
01-08-2014, 09:01 PM
We declined the option for the second year, so he is on a free.

I liked him enough... Maybe not the right price!

tonyb
01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
OgtheDim absolutely nothing has changed at Holker st, its like it is in a time warp, the volunteer fans do what they can painting etc but some sort of investment is needed. In comparison to the english football league which league would Toronto be in?.

Yohan
01-09-2014, 03:46 PM
OgtheDim absolutely nothing has changed at Holker st, its like it is in a time warp, the volunteer fans do what they can painting etc but some sort of investment is needed. In comparison to the english football league which league would Toronto be in?.
general consensus is that MLS play is around mid to bottom Championship level. (or if you believe Torsten Frings, around mid 2 Bundesliga with best teams competing for bottom 1 Bundesliga)

Toronto, we're about mid table League One. Though hopefully no more :p

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 03:50 PM
.. In comparison to the english football league which league would Toronto be in?.

An age old question that with lots of debate.

I'd say:

A mix of player levels running from League 2 to Championship, but played in the summer here over 3-4 time zones.

Pitches are excellent. Lowest crowd level is 5K while highest is 60K- most at 12 - 18K.

Very fit players needed. Lose speed and you get burned.

__wowza
01-09-2014, 04:50 PM
A mix of player levels running from League 2 to Championship, but played in the summer here over 3-4 time zones.

Pitches are excellent. Lowest crowd level is 5K while highest is 60K- most at 12 - 18K.

Very fit players needed. Lose speed and you get burned.

my take? what he said, but speed or strength as an attacker. it's a physical league.
if you're not strong enough to push past defenders, you need to be quick enough to blow by them.

which team is averaging 5k?

Yohan
01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
which team is averaging 5k?
Chivas USA...

__wowza
01-09-2014, 05:58 PM
that makes sense.

T-boy
01-09-2014, 06:41 PM
I would put the player quality in even more extreme terms than than - The BEST mls players could play in the Premiership (see Donovan going to Everton and being a good players for both loans) while the worst would barely playing regularly in the English Conference! The mls is a hard league to judge "average quality" as the players are so extremes!