PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about the grass @ BMO

Eastend
12-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Since the field is heated @ BMO Field does anyone know if the grass needs cutting over the winter?

Just curious....

Dom

Wagner
12-23-2013, 08:17 PM
it probably does. but i'm guessing it is very sporadic.

habstfc
12-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't think its heated right now, they turn the heat on when the season nears to get the roots going which in turns stimulates growth and brings the grass out of it's winter dormancy.

Marc"2L"
12-23-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't think its heated right now, they turn the heat on when the season nears to get the roots going which in turns stimulates growth and brings the grass out of it's winter dormancy.

Correct, under soil heating is only for helping grass grow, not actually keeping it alive in winter. There is almost no effect against our type of winter. Works a bit better in Europe, but not always.

prizby
12-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Correct, under soil heating is only for helping grass grow, not actually keeping it alive in winter. There is almost no effect against our type of winter. Works a bit better in Europe, but not always.

does it not keep the ground from freezing too?

Eastend
12-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Hmmm, I see your points but driving by the other day it looked like it was ready to play on, lush and green.

Prof
12-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Hmmm, I see your points but driving by the other day it looked like it was ready to play on, lush and green.

It is covered with a green tarp.

jazzy
12-25-2013, 04:30 PM
i assume the tarp is breathable ? grass just goes dormant in the winter and actually heat would be terrible for it too early , if a very cold spell came after it starts to lay those roots that can kill it .