PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere in the Bunker

Doucet3
12-19-2013, 03:53 PM
By the title I mean the flags and smoke and streamers like back in the day when it look insane in the bunker, what happen to that?, I heard smoke and streamers have been banned ? and im assuming part of its due to obviously our record and a decline in membership, maybe even RPB being spread around instead of 90% in the bunker?. I would love to see that started back up as crazy as it was back in the day. Anyone have any insight on why its died a bit? (above reasons?)

Sorry if I seem a bit un informed, haven't been to every game the past couple years being a 75MB and those lovley curve balls live throws at you :P. I only get out to 3-7 games a year

Ivy
12-19-2013, 04:25 PM
While we're on this topic. Where would one buy steamers in bulk? I don't want to pay 2 dollars for 2 white steamers at the dollar store.

jabbronies
12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
By the title I mean the flags and smoke and streamers like back in the day when it look insane in the bunker, what happen to that?, I heard smoke and streamers have been banned ? and im assuming part of its due to obviously our record and a decline in membership, maybe even RPB being spread around instead of 90% in the bunker?. I would love to see that started back up as crazy as it was back in the day. Anyone have any insight on why its died a bit? (above reasons?)

Sorry if I seem a bit un informed, haven't been to every game the past couple years being a 75MB and those lovley curve balls live throws at you :P. I only get out to 3-7 games a year

Smoke was never allowed in the stands.
There is a thread in the members section that you may find interesting: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34894-Smoke-at-BMO

I've heard Streamers are allowed, but a new rule was introduced that said you can't throw them at the players or on the field - so people stopped bringing them.
Plus most of our games are rain games - that killed it as well. That and the team being shit and going record breaking number of games without a goal.

Yagbod
12-19-2013, 04:41 PM
While we're on this topic. Where would one buy steamers in bulk? I don't want to pay 2 dollars for 2 white steamers at the dollar store.

3 for a dollar at the Dollar Store just south of Yonge & Bloor. You could also try party supply stores.

Smoke might be legal again, but might be confined to throwing into special buckets in certain sections. Supposed to get more details any day now. The meeting was last night.

I won't comment on the rest, but it would be great to see it rocking again.

gdg_9
12-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I would love to see the streamers back.

The image of an opposing players disappearing behind a curtain of streamers at the corner flag is one that, in my mind, represents the amazing BMO Atmosphere in the early days

trane
12-19-2013, 05:05 PM
This is the topic that could bring back anger. They bring football to TO. We go crazy, we bring the atmosphere, we are happy. The football stays shit, all they sell us is the atmosphere, come to BMO sure the footy is shit, but the atmosphere is great. Meanwhile they do everything they fucking can to kill that too. Now going into year 8, the football is as shit as ever (hopefully not for long) but they have fucked up the atmosphere.

We shuold bring in streamers for at least one game. Bring it back to 2007. Maybe make some seat cushions to throw onto the pitch.

Pookie
12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Remember when people were in the section 30 minutes prior to the game? That had nothing to do with smoke or streamers...

BuSaPuNk
12-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Remember when people were in the section 30 minutes prior to the game? That had nothing to do with smoke or streamers...

Bingo. There's a group of us that try an get into the bunker 30-20 mins before the game starts. It's tough with the way things have been going.

Hopefully we start to turn it around and the atmosphere that we have had in the bunker all last year will spread.

The asshole part of me wants to say you don't need an invitation to start anything that will help with the atmosphere. You want to do it (within the rules obviously) then do it.

As one of the leads for TIFO and banner team were looking to do a lot more this season. So if you want to get involved, make some threads with ideas and we can discuss them or you can contact myself, CoachGT, or FortYork.

I'm glad to see some enthusiasm starting to bubble. We want to get back to being the biggest, loudest, most respected group in the MLS and really in North America. That's my goal anyways.

cmonyoureds
12-19-2013, 10:06 PM
This is the topic that could bring back anger. They bring football to TO. We go crazy, we bring the atmosphere, we are happy. The football stays shit, all they sell us is the atmosphere, come to BMO sure the footy is shit, but the atmosphere is great. Meanwhile they do everything they fucking can to kill that too. Now going into year 8, the football is as shit as ever (hopefully not for long) but they have fucked up the atmosphere.

We shuold bring in streamers for at least one game. Bring it back to 2007. Maybe make some seat cushions to throw onto the pitch.

That is perhaps the best, most concise, chronological timeline of this whole sh**show. Well put.
But yeah, bring it back to 2007. I'm in.

Doucet3
12-20-2013, 10:55 AM
I haven't been in the bunker in a while, again due to not being able to catch every game, was in 115 a couple times, defiantly want to get a buddy and get in the bunker a few times this year, not all my football friends are the supporter type to stand and sing and chant all game but ill get to know more of the regulars the more I can snag tickets there this year. Its always a better time when theres a big group just givin' it in terms of support.

Parkdale
12-20-2013, 01:42 PM
There's never been (allowed) smoke in BMO, and there's still the occasional streamer thrower - but as it was said above - you can't throw anything at players, including streamers

Abou Sky
12-20-2013, 02:13 PM
There's never been (allowed) smoke in BMO, and there's still the occasional streamer thrower - but as it was said above - you can't throw anything at players, including streamers

Has anyone gotten into trouble for throwing streamers or just told not to?

Phil
12-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Has anyone gotten into trouble for throwing streamers or just told not to?

People have been talked to by security about it. Only when 'aimed' at someone. If the streamer goes up more that 'at' it should be fine.

Abou Sky
12-20-2013, 03:57 PM
People have been talked to by security about it. Only when 'aimed' at someone. If the streamer goes up more that 'at' it should be fine.

Nice, I am going to see about wholesale streamers.

Doucet3
12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Nice, I am going to see about wholesale streamers. yea I poked around to, partycity has some .99 per Red and White. I really want to get that feeling back again, streamers, flags, singing. the whole deal, nothing made me happier then going to a TFC game and jumping up n down chanting and seeing streamers fly everywhere and flags flapping in the window and of course endless beer, win or lose (pref. a win) id go home happy as a kid in a candy store ahah

Abou Sky
12-20-2013, 04:16 PM
yea I poked around to, partycity has some .99 per Red and White. I really want to get that feeling back again, streamers, flags, singing. the whole deal, nothing made me happier then going to a TFC game and jumping up n down chanting and seeing streamers fly everywhere and flags flapping in the window and of course endless beer, win or lose (pref. a win) id go home happy as a kid in a candy store ahah

Seems like we can get them from China around $.15-$.20 per after shipping but need to order a whack (like 10k)

Bonus on that of course is it employs kids and keeps them off the street... :p

Doucet3
12-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Seems like we can get them from China around $.15-$.20 per after shipping but need to order a whack (like 10k)

Bonus on that of course is it employs kids and keeps them off the street... :p

At .20 x1000 is only $200. maybe get 500 white 500 red. have a little donation streamer drive? I'd throw $10 in when I get my commission cheque; if its for the betterment of the club and our SG then shit ten bones aint shit

Abou Sky
12-20-2013, 06:32 PM
At .20 x1000 is only $200. maybe get 500 white 500 red. have a little donation streamer drive? I'd throw $10 in when I get my commission cheque; if its for the betterment of the club and our SG then shit ten bones aint shit

10000 not 1000

Still not out of the question though

Red CB Toronto
12-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Let's get the party started in the bunker !!!

FluSH
12-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Hello

Tony Santiago
12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
I have often found that trying to start something can be a fruitless effort. This is not meant to offend, but it often seems that unless something has been started by whoever is up on the stand that particular day (consistency on the capo stand is very lacking) many in 112 won't join in. Sometimes I feel that a group in 111 will try and get something going and it won't get much response, then a minute or so later a focused effort comes from 112 and the chant starts. There still seems to be some odd divide amongst supporters. Again, this is just an observation and not an accusation.

I feel that in the early years 112 asserted control over the area. Now many of those original people aren't there anymore and the atmosphere isn't the same. 111 has gone through a lot of changes too. I'd say that that the original core of people who were in the first 8 rows or so is down to about 40%. Most of these people truly never experienced the electricity of the early years. They have only known frustration. Some days I'm amazed the atmosphere is as good as it is all things considered.

I believe more localized chants and songs should be encouraged. I would love to have us carve our own niche in the song department.

Many find my opinion on drumming crazy, but I think it should be used more sparingly. At times I find that there is a level of monotony that creeps in. Rather than being encouraged to start a song or chant, people zone out on a random beat for long periods of time. There's times when I feel like I should have brought my hacky sack to the stands because I felt like I was near a hippie drum circle. Sometimes hearing the quiet will encourage restlessness amongst supporters, which is a good thing. When the drums hammer home a song or chant it is much more effective...kind of a less is more approach.

I am there loud and proud, so I feel like I am doing my part. Anything I am saying is just about discussing what could improve things. All aside from the most obvious, which is to improve on the 7 horrible years of soccer we have had to witness.

Brooker
12-21-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm in the bunker right now. Atmosphere is dreadful.

BuSaPuNk
12-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Think it's close. We have a good group of 5-6 rows that are pretty locked into what's going on and following the lead of the capo. It's getting it to spread up and out that's becoming harder.

Doucet3
12-22-2013, 01:26 AM
I have often found that trying to start something can be a fruitless effort. This is not meant to offend, but it often seems that unless something has been started by whoever is up on the stand that particular day (consistency on the capo stand is very lacking) many in 112 won't join in. Sometimes I feel that a group in 111 will try and get something going and it won't get much response, then a minute or so later a focused effort comes from 112 and the chant starts. There still seems to be some odd divide amongst supporters. Again, this is just an observation and not an accusation.

I feel that in the early years 112 asserted control over the area. Now many of those original people aren't there anymore and the atmosphere isn't the same. 111 has gone through a lot of changes too. I'd say that that the original core of people who were in the first 8 rows or so is down to about 40%. Most of these people truly never experienced the electricity of the early years. They have only known frustration. Some days I'm amazed the atmosphere is as good as it is all things considered.

I believe more localized chants and songs should be encouraged. I would love to have us carve our own niche in the song department.

Many find my opinion on drumming crazy, but I think it should be used more sparingly. At times I find that there is a level of monotony that creeps in. Rather than being encouraged to start a song or chant, people zone out on a random beat for long periods of time. There's times when I feel like I should have brought my hacky sack to the stands because I felt like I was near a hippie drum circle. Sometimes hearing the quiet will encourage restlessness amongst supporters, which is a good thing. When the drums hammer home a song or chant it is much more effective...kind of a less is more approach.

I am there loud and proud, so I feel like I am doing my part. Anything I am saying is just about discussing what could improve things. All aside from the most obvious, which is to improve on the 7 horrible years of soccer we have had to witness.

Maybe we can all get something together, with Phil and Coach and make the first 10 rows all SSH who come to every game and sing give them those seats or something. I know the on field play has taken its toll on our section, but being a supporter isnt just when your winning, its ups and downs, if i could be there game in game out losing my voice supporting the boys fucking eh i would, but with $$ and distance a factor I can't, we need to get the morale and togetherness back into the bunker asap.

Sad to hear man, i use to love catching a game in the first couple seasons in there although tickets where hard to come by but the atmosphere was amazing. I was in 115 this past year at the Revs game (the one where it was raining) and me and about 15 other guys started a We Love You chant going albeit it ran dead after a while, but i got a couple of them jumping and going. Id want that atmosphere full out back in the bunker so bad

Think it's close. We have a good group of 5-6 rows that are pretty locked into what's going on and following the lead of the capo. It's getting it to spread up and out that's becoming harder.

Any ideas on what we can do this year coming up to get shit jumping in there again?, fuck lets restrict tickets just to people who will show up game in/out and jump chant and throw streams.

Doucet3
12-22-2013, 01:56 AM
Me personally being a 75MB i cant make it to all the matches but i would love to get into the section anytime and give my full support, im always looking at the ticket trader section. Anyone on here a regular supporter thats in that group of people who give it there all during the matches? If so what rows/seats are usually hopping cause ill narrow my search to those areas specifically, as well shoot me a follow on twitter @Doucet3 if you ever offer up tickets lemme know ill scoop em off you time permitting.

Cashcleaner
12-22-2013, 02:32 AM

You bring up some good points. First off though, I want to say that support in general has taken a blow over the years. The damage from so many years of mismanagement and poor performance has sucked a lot of energy out of almost everyone who follows this club. I don't want to make excuses, but the reality is that during several periods, the club wasn't exactly playing the type of football you normally want to sing about and the front office went out of it's way several times to alienate the more "hardcore" supporters as well.

That said, we are ultimately masters of our own fates and I think you brought up a few issues that we can indeed work on. I too have noticed that songs or chants started elsewhere has often been dismissed or even song over by us. I've only been in 112 sporadically the last two seasons but it's noticeable elsewhere in the stadium, and honestly, it does breed resentment when people try to start something during a period of relative silence just to have it silenced by the crowd in 112 or elsewhere in the supporter's section. I believe we should be proactive when it comes to creating the atmosphere, but we need to be inclusive towards other fans as well and let them try their voices out once in a while. I'll tell you one thing about me in the stands, if I hear a song or a cheer that sounds good and is relevant, I'm gonna sing along. And I'd rather sing completely and end it properly then told to shush because a new cheer is being prepared.

As for drumming, personally I wouldn't mind the drums going on all game. But I can see why others might want to switch it up with something else.

JavierMartini
12-22-2013, 03:02 AM
Make the whole south stand a "bunker". I'm talking hardpoints with machine guns and barbed wire, tank traps. Lets go.......

I'd say a united supporter stand in the south end, but then I'd be shot down and buried 12 feet deep......

Brooker
12-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Maybe we can all get something together, with Phil and Coach and make the first 10 rows all SSH who come to every game and sing give them those seats or something. I know the on field play has taken its toll on our section, but being a supporter isnt just when your winning, its ups and downs, if i could be there game in game out losing my voice supporting the boys fucking eh i would, but with $$ and distance a factor I can't, we need to get the morale and togetherness back into the bunker asap.

Sad to hear man, i use to love catching a game in the first couple seasons in there although tickets where hard to come by but the atmosphere was amazing. I was in 115 this past year at the Revs game (the one where it was raining) and me and about 15 other guys started a We Love You chant going albeit it ran dead after a while, but i got a couple of them jumping and going. Id want that atmosphere full out back in the bunker so bad

Any ideas on what we can do this year coming up to get shit jumping in there again?, fuck lets restrict tickets just to people who will show up game in/out and jump chant and throw streams.

It was a joke. I ment I was literally in the bunker when I posted it. :)

Derko
12-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Being competitive and winning games will fix a lot of things!!

prizby
12-23-2013, 09:17 PM

I'd like to change some of the negative/whiny sounding chants into something positive...like

"C'MON YOU REDS" just is getting awful whiny...doesn't inspire squat on the pitch, in my opinion

instead you could change it to (or maybe just do it on corners to)

"C'mon Toronto score a goal, score a goal, score a goo-ooo-ooaa-lll"

ie. http://en.fanchants.de/football-songs/germany-chants/tor/

Problem is, people say great idea, let's do it...but then you try to start something like that, and it is like you are on an American Idol try-out in front of the judges with them giving you funny looks

That said, we are ultimately masters of our own fates and I think you brought up a few issues that we can indeed work on. I too have noticed that songs or chants started elsewhere has often been dismissed or even song over by us. I've only been in 112 sporadically the last two seasons but it's noticeable elsewhere in the stadium, and honestly, it does breed resentment when people try to start something during a period of relative silence just to have it silenced by the crowd in 112 or elsewhere in the supporter's section. I believe we should be proactive when it comes to creating the atmosphere, but we need to be inclusive towards other fans as well and let them try their voices out once in a while. I'll tell you one thing about me in the stands, if I hear a song or a cheer that sounds good and is relevant, I'm gonna sing along. And I'd rather sing completely and end it properly then told to shush because a new cheer is being prepared.

I got to admit, I resent some of the stuff I hear elsewhere...but only when it is the 5th or 6th time doing that same damn chant or we just did it 3 minutes ago and have moved on from it

I'd say a united supporter stand in the south end, but then I'd be shot down and buried 12 feet deep......

GA...way to go...too many people here against that sadly; Timbers Army get it though

Doucet3
12-24-2013, 10:17 AM
It was a joke. I ment I was literally in the bunker when I posted it. :)
Lmao my bad, half the time I'm on the boards I'm at work so I'm trying to make sure no one sees lol :P

Doucet3
12-24-2013, 10:21 AM
GA...way to go...too many people here against that sadly; Timbers Army get it though

Yep Timbers Army has the right idea, a united south end would be a force and just pure awesomeness

Sid
12-24-2013, 10:37 AM
i was in 127 in last game and it looked like notthing was going on in 112 or 113 or 111 at all

BuSaPuNk
12-24-2013, 10:39 AM
i was in 127 in last game and it looked like notthing was going on in 112 or 113 or 111 at all

I was in 112 for the last game and trust me it was bouncing big time. We were pretty loud but as it was for the rest of the season it died between 112/111. Both sections did well but the sound didn't travel as 113 wasnt doing much. So the sound didn't really move that much.

cmonyoureds
12-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Just my 0.02 but........

I think part of the "atmosphere" problem is some of the "over the top"/super energy support left due to many of the issues discussed at length on these boards. Their tix were replaced by people who have enjoyed the "show" for the first few years and thought "I wanna be part of that" but enjoy watching more than participating.

Also, I think there are some who, and I don't blame them or pass judgment, have put tix up for sale because they are keeping their seats but not willing to attend every game. (again, I'd do the same thing and have benefitted from them selling their tix)

What disappears is the "I know everyone in every seats around me" atmosphere which was beneficial to the south end being what it was. It goes from "hey, **** is really getting one going, let's give him help", to "hey, that guy over there is really crazy eh?"

Fort York Redcoat
12-24-2013, 11:04 AM
I'll be interested to see how the atmo changes once the team is in demand again. Perhaps then we can get a clearer sense of how much the new shine of a new team affected the type of people in The Bunker.

Regardless, I'd like to thank those that stayed through it all.

Doucet3
12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Just my 0.02 but........

I think part of the "atmosphere" problem is some of the "over the top"/super energy support left due to many of the issues discussed at length on these boards. Their tix were replaced by people who have enjoyed the "show" for the first few years and thought "I wanna be part of that" but enjoy watching more than participating.

Also, I think there are some who, and I don't blame them or pass judgment, have put tix up for sale because they are keeping their seats but not willing to attend every game. (again, I'd do the same thing and have benefitted from them selling their tix)

What disappears is the "I know everyone in every seats around me" atmosphere which was beneficial to the south end being what it was. It goes from "hey, **** is really getting one going, let's give him help", to "hey, that guy over there is really crazy eh?"

I agree, theres a chunk of people who like what they seen from the RPB and decided to get tickets there but just sit there and look around like a tourist, which ruins it cause those fans are also the ones that dont go to every game but yet don't even sell there unused tickets; everytime im in the RPB areas as few as it is through out the year (75MB) im giving it every time, lol shit even over in 115 the one game i chimed into a RPB tune and got a few around me to jump along as well. Me personally i want to get to enough games that i can start to know the people in the bunker on a first name basis more so there is that atmosphere

Doucet3
12-24-2013, 11:20 AM
On a side note, for the end of the year Montreal game i was in the north end as they were freebies and NEE (what is it now north end elite or kings of the north?) were bringing it pretty hard i must admit. even i got into some chants (same ones we sing) throughout the match... in between chirping the shit out of the limpact players.

Yagbod
12-24-2013, 01:03 PM
On a side note, for the end of the year Montreal game i was in the north end as they were freebies and NEE (what is it now north end elite or kings of the north?) were bringing it pretty hard i must admit. even i got into some chants (same ones we sing) throughout the match... in between chirping the shit out of the limpact players.

The Kings of the North do occupy 127 now, but the last game was mostly the 'high energy' guys that left and now watch from the beer garden. They decided to have some fun for that last game and did that pretty amazing Tifo as well. Let's hope they come back and contribute meaningfully on a consistent basis next year. The amount of supporter talent wasted in that beer garden is absolutely staggering.

Parkdale
12-24-2013, 06:04 PM
I too have noticed that songs or chants started elsewhere has often been dismissed or even song over by us. I've only been in 112 sporadically the last two seasons but it's noticeable elsewhere in the stadium, and honestly, it does breed resentment when people try to start something during a period of relative silence just to have it silenced by the crowd in 112 or elsewhere in the supporter's section.

keep in mind that people in 112 don't always hear a chant from another section the way someone across the way might hear it. Usually we only hear a few things from 111 (and we almost always join in) and the rare chant from 113. If someone is sitting in 108, then they might be able to hear chants start throughout the South end, but in 112, we hardly hear anything.

---

next point (and this is going to sound very egotistical, but it's the honest truth) - if 112 is quiet, then BMO is quiet. We don't get the volume from 127 since NEE left or from 113 since Bobby stopped getting up on the stand. 112 is the beating heart of BMO field, and I'm not willing to sacrifice that sound just to prove a point. I really hope it's better next season, but for the 2nd half of this season, BMO field was on life support.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Good discussion going on.

Again, the results have a large part to do with what has happened in the stands. In my opinion if things were the exact the same in the stands then there would be something wrong. Truly the support should be affected by what has gone on with TFC's 7 MLS seasons. We have seen record futility during different seasons...goalless droughts, winless streaks. We top the charts in all the big categories when it comes to losing.

Like I said, I am actually impressed more often than not that TFC still gets the support it does, or that the energy is there at all. A person can really only watch so many disasters and horrible trades and last second losses before it becomes ridiculous to be singing about glory. We have been anything but glorious. The rabid support will return when our team shows a heartbeat. In my opinion it's okay to have the support be down at this point.

The new faces and so called "tourists" need to stop being talked about negatively. Anyone who attended a TFC game last year should be congratulated, not treated with derision. New faces should be embraced and encouraged. I only brought up new faces because chants from 7 years ago don't resonate with everyone. I really believe it's time that TFC supporters stop trying to jump on the latest world football chanting trend and simplify it a bit. Stop trying to teach the "tourists". More people will join in. There are just too many different cultures to pick and choose chants and songs from...it just becomes watered down. The most effective and unifying thing is "TFC-clap-clap-clap". That is North American style, and that is where we are. It might be fun if we had some "You'll Never Walk Alone" style song that supporters stadium wide could break into, but that is never going to happen. It will forever be half-assed if we can't accept that most of our fans are the supposed "tourists". There has to be a balance.

I also think the game in game out negative chanting should stop. I don't get into chants full of profanity. It pretty much happens every game. Some games chants will focus on the 10 or so away supporters telling them we can't hear them sing. Heated rivals with big away support who are actually being quiet? Sure, go for it. Eight people from RSL? Why waste the energy? We are still so cocky when it comes to our chanting and singing. I have harder and harder time getting into these songs as a supporter. Most of them seem so far removed from reality I feel like a fool singing them.

Basically my feelings in general are...I think life will return when the team shows any signs of it. I love to sing and chant and try as much as I can, but the songs and chants need to start being more appropriate or make sense. It shouldn't be a novelty anymore. I would also rather do 10 powerful chants than 20 or 30 half-assed ones. Drums can help punctuate the good chants, but also become a crutch and take away from the atmosphere when overused.

One other weird item is flag use. Last year multiple times in 111 there were arguments over flags. Some people feel it is their right to wave them constantly, even during play. Others get angry because they want to watch the game and are then insulted for not being "supporters" when they ask them to come down. Twice I remember "Put the flag down" chants last year. Twice! This is part of the issue. Not everyone sees being a supporter the same way...in my opinion the most rabid should move to 112 and 113 and leave 111 be the fringe section it was meant to be. I'm not sure why people move into 111 and then wish they were in 112. Why don't all the RPB members try and agree on a section (112) and move there? I'm not asking like a smartass, I'm seriously asking.

prizby
12-26-2013, 12:47 PM
The new faces and so called "tourists" need to stop being talked about negatively. Anyone who attended a TFC game last year should be congratulated, not treated with derision. New faces should be embraced and encouraged.

Disagree...there is a reason why it is called the supporters section...because the people in the section are there to support your team...there are plenty of other empty seats at BMO Field where people can sit and talk about what girl Johnny banged last Friday or how drunk Jimmy got on the weekend (seriously, I have overheard stuff like this being talked about in the supporters section); if you want to have a casual experience, shoot the shit, or do something else other than support the boys on the field, there are sections for that...or else it defeats the purpose of calling it a 'Supporters Section'

It might be fun if we had some "You'll Never Walk Alone" style song that supporters stadium wide could break into

we sort of do...no one has bothered to really learn it or sing it (http://www.reverbnation.com/redcityramblers/song/3790594-legend-tfc?fb_og_action=reverbnation_fb%3Aunknown&fb_og_object=reverbnation_fb%3Asong&utm_campaign=a_public_songs&utm_content=reverbnation_fb%3Asong&utm_medium=facebook_og&utm_source=reverbnation_fb%3Aunknown)

Drums can help punctuate the good chants, but also become a crutch and take away from the atmosphere when overused.

agreed about the drums; feel we got too big of a drum right now; need to go with a smaller one with less of a bass

One other weird item is flag use. Last year multiple times in 111 there were arguments over flags. Some people feel it is their right to wave them constantly, even during play. Others get angry because they want to watch the game and are then insulted for not being "supporters" when they ask them to come down. Twice I remember "Put the flag down" chants last year. Twice! This is part of the issue. Not everyone sees being a supporter the same way...in my opinion the most rabid should move to 112 and 113 and leave 111 be the fringe section it was meant to be. I'm not sure why people move into 111 and then wish they were in 112. Why don't all the RPB members try and agree on a section (112) and move there? I'm not asking like a smartass, I'm seriously asking.

First off, most of the guys that were waving the flags in 111 this year are not RPB members, many of them do not wish to be in 112, so I am not sure where you get the 'then wish they were in 112' bit

111 is a designated as a supporter's section by Toronto FC; it is not a fringe section whatsoever...flags are allowed in the supporter's section...there are signs that specifically say that they are allowed and that your view may be blocked at some part of the game; these appear in each supporters section (111 through 119)...

the better question is, why do people buy tickets to the supporters section if they don't want the flags...there are many, many more sections in the stadium that do not allow flags.

The flags are the issue, and you are saying you don't like the swearing...I clearly remember being called (and hearing others called) a 'fucking flaggot'

Yagbod
12-26-2013, 01:17 PM
^bang on Prizby. Agree 100%.

Ivy
12-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Disagree...there is a reason why it is called the supporters section...because the people in the section are there to support your team...there are plenty of other empty seats at BMO Field where people can sit and talk about what girl Johnny banged last Friday or how drunk Jimmy got on the weekend (seriously, I have overheard stuff like this being talked about in the supporters section); if you want to have a casual experience, shoot the shit, or do something else other than support the boys on the field, there are sections for that...or else it defeats the purpose of calling it a 'Supporters Section'

we sort of do...no one has bothered to really learn it or sing it (http://www.reverbnation.com/redcityramblers/song/3790594-legend-tfc?fb_og_action=reverbnation_fb%3Aunknown&fb_og_object=reverbnation_fb%3Asong&utm_campaign=a_public_songs&utm_content=reverbnation_fb%3Asong&utm_medium=facebook_og&utm_source=reverbnation_fb%3Aunknown)

agreed about the drums; feel we got too big of a drum right now; need to go with a smaller one with less of a bass

First off, most of the guys that were waving the flags in 111 this year are not RPB members, many of them do not wish to be in 112, so I am not sure where you get the 'then wish they were in 112' bit

111 is a designated as a supporter's section by Toronto FC; it is not a fringe section whatsoever...flags are allowed in the supporter's section...there are signs that specifically say that they are allowed and that your view may be blocked at some part of the game; these appear in each supporters section (111 through 119)...

the better question is, why do people buy tickets to the supporters section if they don't want the flags...there are many, many more sections in the stadium that do not allow flags.

The flags are the issue, and you are saying you don't like the swearing...I clearly remember being called (and hearing others called) a 'fucking flaggot'
Agreed 100%, other than the drum :P
I LOVE that thing - I'd sit on top of it if I could.

As for complaints about the flags, give me a break... There's like 1-3 flags at most, and they're usually not big. Take a look at any of the big groups around the league, and compare the flag numbers.
And Prizby is bang on with the signs. They clearly state that flags are allowed and may obstruct your view, if you don't like it, move. Persistent standing is also allowed, so me being 6'3 will block the view of the 5' person behind me... Is that my fault?

Also, having you mentioned the "fucking faggot" thing... I've seen COUNTLESS times people in 111 and 110 yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP" and everyone else is doing the "this is our house" chant. It's disgusting.

prizby
12-26-2013, 03:05 PM
I know the guys make a concerted effort in 111 to not wave flags when the play is in the south end, so people behind can see...I have seen it

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Agreed 100%, other than the drum :P
I LOVE that thing - I'd sit on top of it if I could.

As for complaints about the flags, give me a break... There's like 1-3 flags at most, and they're usually not big. Take a look at any of the big groups around the league, and compare the flag numbers.
And Prizby is bang on with the signs. They clearly state that flags are allowed and may obstruct your view, if you don't like it, move. Persistent standing is also allowed, so me being 6'3 will block the view of the 5' person behind me... Is that my fault?

Also, having you mentioned the "fucking faggot" thing... I've seen COUNTLESS times people in 111 and 110 yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP" and everyone else is doing the "this is our house" chant. It's disgusting.

Are you angry? The standing and difference in height discussion is just silly. You can't tell someone who has been in the same seat for 7 years to move or deal with it because someone shows up and feel like waving a flag during play. That makes no sense at all. There are signs, and there is also a little thing called respect and common sense. Want to go wave a flag? Go to the park. People in supporter sections also generally like and have passion for the game. Nobody is there to watch a guy in the stands wave a flag. Do it during stoppage only.

I have no idea what the "fucking faggot" thing is. I'm talking about getting people involved. It's a supporter section, and I'm loud, but I'm not into constant taunting or aggressive chants when we are so bad. I swear...I'm just saying as far as chanting and adding life to the bunker. It gets old. Many, like me, don't join and it becomes a wasted effort.

prizby
12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
and there is the problem...wasted effort

Ivy
12-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Are you angry? The standing and difference in height discussion is just silly. You can't tell someone who has been in the same seat for 7 years to move or deal with it because someone shows up and feel like waving a flag during play. That makes no sense at all. There are signs, and there is also a little thing called respect and common sense. Want to go wave a flag? Go to the park. People in supporter sections also generally like and have passion for the game. Nobody is there to watch a guy in the stands wave a flag. Do it during stoppage only.

I have no idea what the "fucking faggot" thing is. I'm talking about getting people involved. It's a supporter section, and I'm loud, but I'm not into constant taunting or aggressive chants when we are so bad. I swear...I'm just saying as far as chanting and adding life to the bunker. It gets old. Many, like me, don't join and it becomes a wasted effort.
Why is the height difference silly, and flag waving isn't? By your argument, I would have to sit down during play in order to not obstruct the view of those behind me.
Supporter sections are supporter sections. There will be swearing, flag waving, drum beating, and obstructed view... And I don't mean to be mean, but looking at 2007-2009, it was just that. If people don't enjoy that, go to 115-119 where it's a quiet humble support.

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Why is the height difference silly, and flag waving isn't? By your argument, I would have to sit down during play in order to not obstruct the view of those behind me.
Supporter sections are supporter sections. There will be swearing, flag waving, drum beating, and obstructed view... And I don't mean to be mean, but looking at 2007-2009, it was just that. If people don't enjoy that, go to 115-119 where it's a quiet humble support.

I agree with Ivy and Prizby completely. You have a problem with how there are flags or swearing in chants or what songs we sing? Move it's pretty simple. Sure you can find a better seat that would fit your mold in supporting somewhere else in the southend.

Also I hate this had same seat bullshit. It's an attitude I would expect at the ACC or something. Who cares how long you've had your same seats? You do realize that at any point the club could change everything and move you out of your seats? You don't own a personal seat licence that seat belongs to the club.

If your argument circles around how you've had x seat or seats for x years, your here for the wrong reasons.

We're here to support the club, 90 mins every game, period. Not argue on how to support or what we do to support.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I agree with Ivy and Prizby completely. You have a problem with how there are flags or swearing in chants or what songs we sing? Move it's pretty simple. Sure you can find a better seat that would fit your mold in supporting somewhere else in the southend.

Also I hate this had same seat bullshit. It's an attitude I would expect at the ACC or something. Who cares how long you've had your same seats? You do realize that at any point the club could change everything and move you out of your seats? You don't own a personal seat licence that seat belongs to the club.

If your argument circles around how you've had x seat or seats for x years, your here for the wrong reasons.

We're here to support the club, 90 mins every game, period. Not argue on how to support or what we do to support.

Nobody has ever supported TFC for 90 minutes. Period. It doesn't happen, so stop pretending it does.

You don't seem to want improved atmosphere, you just want to argue. It's the same old shit, which is what you want, so why even bother with this thread? Why pay attention to a season seat holder in the supporter section who has been there since day 1 if you only want things to be the same?

I can't put my finger on it, but with some of you there is a real elitist attitude...you talk like it's you who is creating the atmosphere and I am either welcome to join or fuck off. That is the problem and why there will never be unity at BMO. Some of you don't want unity, because that implies equality. I understand how it is...in RPB some of you have importance or meaning where elsewhere you don't. I am only trying to help, not hurt anything...you seem insulted that anything could possibly be wrong.

By the way...flags are for children or cheerleaders. Any grown man waving a flag should be embarrassed.

You all don't want change. You just want another year of the same, hoping it magically turns into 2007.

Yohan
12-26-2013, 10:55 PM
I am only trying to help, not hurt anything...you seem insulted that anything could possibly be wrong.

By the way...flags are for children or cheerleaders. Any grown man waving a flag should be embarrassed.

nice help there, budz

PS:
http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2011/08/9918714-essay.jpg

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 10:57 PM

You're being foolish. Don't argue for the sake of it.

One has always happened since day 1. One has only started happening over the past year or two, and only at random times.

In 99% of stadiums around the world flags drop like a stone when play has started. That's just the way it is.

I have never heard a chant for someone to sit down. Last year I heard two for people to put their flags down.

Rather than me moving...or the other 20 people or so that were chanting...maybe the one or two flag wavers shouldn't be ignorant and listen to their fellow supporters. This thread is about improving atmosphere, but it will never happen because the minority is always trying to influence the majority. It all ends up a mess.

It's getting worse instead of better, and clearly when the attitude is "move" if there is anything you don't like it will never get better.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:00 PM
nice help there, budz

PS:
http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2011/08/9918714-essay.jpg

Yes, the RPB love affair with Portland continues.

I don't care what you show. I'm a man in Toronto. Flags are not for men, they're for children or cheerleaders. sorry if the truth hurts, but we don't live in Portland and I don't care what they do there.

A man waving a flag is lame. I don't even think that picture is all that impressive. A shot of a crowd all reacting to the play with unhinged passion is far more impressive.

When there are a few scattered grown men waving flags it's pretty pathetic.

prizby
12-26-2013, 11:05 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but with some of you there is a real elitist attitude...you talk like it's you who is creating the atmosphere and I am either welcome to join or fuck off. That is the problem and why there will never be unity at BMO. Some of you don't want unity, because that implies equality. I understand how it is...in RPB some of you have importance or meaning where elsewhere you don't. I am only trying to help, not hurt anything...you seem insulted that anything could possibly be wrong.

I guess Christine Sinclair looked silly waving a flag at the closing ceremonies for the Olympics in 2012

The problem isn't 'welcome to join or fuck off'; the problem (in my opinion) is we have too many different supporters/supporter groups; why do you think Montreal and Portland supporters sound great and look great...it is unity...under one group

And you think RPB, people have a sense of entitlement...you are dead wrong; I am sure if you polled 20 members, you'd hear at least 5-10 different reasons why someone is a member; you can probably find an RPB member in most sections at BMO Field btw

In 99% of stadiums around the world flags drop like a stone when play has started. That's just the way it is.

basically sounds like you have never watched a game outside of the EPL...you'll every single professional team in Germany with fans waving flags...that is a fact...99% of the stadiums...that is a load of bullox

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:09 PM
The strange thing about this thread is how it is suddenly about a guys right to wave a flag. The part about them being chanted at by fellow supporters was completely ignored. This is why our atmosphere will never improve.

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Trolls must be out in full force. Why are flags any surprise? We've been doing it for the last 7 years. This year they were out a lot more and we plan for more this up coming year.

And I don't know where you are but I was in 112 all season and we fucking brought it. 90 mins every game. And if your resigned to the fact that we won't or never being it for 90 mins your not the solution your part of the problem.

We should be aiming for bigger, better, louder, more flags, more tifos. Get back to being the best supporters in Canada and North America.

We've been working on designs and ideas since the offseason began. So expect a lot more two sticks, flags ect.

Tony Santiago
I guess Christine Sinclair looked silly waving a flag at the closing ceremonies for the Olympics in 2012

The problem isn't 'welcome to join or fuck off'; the problem (in my opinion) is we have too many different supporters/supporter groups; why do you think Montreal and Portland supporters sound great and look great...it is unity...under one group

And you think RPB, people have a sense of entitlement...you are dead wrong; I am sure if you polled 20 members, you'd hear at least 5-10 different reasons why someone is a member; you can probably find an RPB member in most sections at BMO Field btw

basically sounds like you have never watched a game outside of the EPL...you'll every single professional team in Germany with fans waving flags...that is a fact...99% of the stadiums...that is a load of bullox

Whatever man...Olympics? Really? I'm clearly talking about in the stands at a game. A grown man waving a coloured flag is very childish. It is what it is.

You're wrong. I watch all sorts of leagues. Spain, Italy...flags drop during play. What are you even arguing about? It doesn't happen during play, and why would it? People want to watch the games that they are supposedly supporting.

prizby
because they have a right to wave a flag...Toronto FC has said that supporters, in the appropriate section have that right...there are plenty of OTHER sections in the stadium where you can get an unobstructed view at all times.

Funny that you have guys chanting about putting flags down, but they seem to be unable to chant anything else.

Weird how you feel that atmosphere and flag waving seem to be related and the more flag waving there is, the worst the atmosphere gets...this is a spewed up piece of BS

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Whatever man...Olympics? Really? I'm clearly talking about in the stands at a game. A grown man waving a coloured flag is very childish. It is what it is.

You're wrong. I watch all sorts of leagues. Spain, Italy...flags drop during play. What are you even arguing about? It doesn't happen during play, and why would it? People want to watch the games that they are supposedly supporting.

Obviously don't watch Germany, France, Croatia, South America, ect.

It's a pretty usual thing in leagues that have been followed for alot longer then the MLS has been around. This is Football. You more interested in not missing one split second of a match because of flags ect, sit in non supporters seats or watch from home. It's a pretty obvious choice.

prizby
12-26-2013, 11:22 PM

OMG...I can't believe both the Italian flags and German fans are waving flags during game play...they are killing the atmosphere (click here) (http://youtu.be/LxOzEjsMjzA?t=3m39s)

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Trolls must be out in full force. Why are flags any surprise? We've been doing it for the last 7 years. This year they were out a lot more and we plan for more this up coming year.

And I don't know where you are but I was in 112 all season and we fucking brought it. 90 mins every game. And if your resigned to the fact that we won't or never being it for 90 mins your not the solution your part of the problem.

We should be aiming for bigger, better, louder, more flags, more tifos. Get back to being the best supporters in Canada and North America.

We've been working on designs and ideas since the offseason began. So expect a lot more two sticks, flags ect.

I'm a troll? For having an opinion. Once again, a good example of why there will never be unity. You're right, know all, and I'm a troll.

There have always been a few scattered flags, but this year a couple particular guys felt they were there to show everyone how it was done...despite THE CHANTS TELLING THEM TO STOP.

You brought it for 90 minutes in 112 every game? Who are you trying to kid, you or me? Your definition of bringing it is different than mine. Someday you need to leave 112 and see and hear it because I think your opinion of how hard you bring it might change.

If you actually read my previous posts you would see that I'm all for a lively atmosphere. In my opinion flags don't do it, especially when they start arguments...but what do I know? I'm only there every game.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Obviously don't watch Germany, France, Croatia, South America, ect.

It's a pretty usual thing in leagues that have been followed for alot longer then the MLS has been around. This is Football. You more interested in not missing one split second of a match because of flags ect, sit in non supporters seats or watch from home. It's a pretty obvious choice.

I actually have a life too, so...

The games I see, like Barcelona, Inter and A.C. Milan the fans drop the flags during play....

If flags are what you want, you can just buy a flag rather than wasting money on a ticket, it's much cheaper.

Once again, you are not interested in improving or changing the atmosphere. you continue to try and spread your ideas to people who don't want it. Maybe they love that shit in Germany. At BMO, in 111, it starts chants where YOUR FELLOW SUPPORTERS CHANT FOR FLAGS TO COME DOWN DURING PLAY.

Why does this not register? It's not just me. This is a thread about improving atmosphere. I talk about division due to a certain issue and you guys are all "love it or leave it, troll".

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Obviously this is an argument that no one wins. But the fact that you complain about people trying to keep the atmosphere going is doing nothing to help but just trolling.

So by your admissions we should be quiet and watch the game and only chant sparaticly and make the place a funeral home. Not going to happen.

We did pretty good this year in 112 an were always looking to make it better. Atmosphere is louder bigger and better. That includes flags, two sticks, banners ect.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:44 PM
because they have a right to wave a flag...Toronto FC has said that supporters, in the appropriate section have that right...there are plenty of OTHER sections in the stadium where you can get an unobstructed view at all times.

Funny that you have guys chanting about putting flags down, but they seem to be unable to chant anything else.

Weird how you feel that atmosphere and flag waving seem to be related and the more flag waving there is, the worst the atmosphere gets...this is a spewed up piece of BS

What? You're insulting 111?

What is with you guys? Why are you trying to twist my words? I was simply talking about why atmosphere is going to struggle. I gave an example of from last year. It happened. I'm not drawing a line between flags and poor atmosphere...not at all. I'm saying that when people show up out of the blue with an agenda to change how people support and distract them from watching the game it doesn't help anything.

Who the hell wants to wave a flag during play anyway? Why would you? Are people supposed to be inspired...I don't get it. The players aren't watching, fans who actually like the game aren't watching. What is it for?

Abou Sky
12-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Guys, don't feed the trolls...

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 11:48 PM
You can't tell someone who has been in the same seat for 7 years to move or deal with it because someone shows up and feel like waving a flag during play. That makes no sense at all. There are signs, and there is also a little thing called respect and common sense..

And this is the simple point to your argument. The FO allows it and it's posted in 111,112, ect.

If you don't like the fact that were allowed to wave flags or put up two sticks during play, move. It's pretty simple. If you have a problem with it you can address it with the FO. They'll be more then happy to move your seats so your not obstructed.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Obviously this is an argument that no one wins. But the fact that you complain about people trying to keep the atmosphere going is doing nothing to help but just trolling.

So by your admissions we should be quiet and watch the game and only chant sparaticly and make the place a funeral home. Not going to happen.

We did pretty good this year in 112 an were always looking to make it better. Atmosphere is louder bigger and better. That includes flags, two sticks, banners ect.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying....forget all the other posts I had, because that doesn't fit your story.

Are you for real? This thread is only 2 pages long. Go give it another brief look and see if you really think I want BMO to be a quite like a funeral home.

I'm seriously astonished at your comment at what you think I want.

You have fun bringing it in 112 with your bigger better atmosphere. You and your 20 or so buddies will really be something to marvel at.

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Who the hell wants to wave a flag during play anyway? Why would you? Are people supposed to be inspired...I don't get it. The players aren't watching, fans who actually like the game aren't watching. What is it for?

I did last year. Why? Because I support my team and that's how I do it flags and full voice. I don't do it for people to look at us. It's support. Flags and displays are how some people support that adds to full voices.

Ivy
12-26-2013, 11:55 PM
BvB have amazing flags. I swear some of those things are bigger than my house.

BuSaPuNk
12-26-2013, 11:56 PM
You have fun bringing it in 112 with your bigger better atmosphere. You and your 20 or so buddies will really be something to marvel at.

Yeah thanks. Pretty sure our membership is more then 20 but thanks. If your not interested in helping with the atmosphere with bringing ideas and how to help but critique how we do things pretty sure your in the wrong place.

There's always room for constructive criticism. But basically saying what we've been doing for years is wrong isn't the way to go about it.

Tony Santiago
12-26-2013, 11:59 PM
And this is the simple point to your argument. The FO allows it and it's posted in 111,112, ect.

If you don't like the fact that were allowed to wave flags or put up two sticks during play, move. It's pretty simple. If you have a problem with it you can address it with the FO. They'll be more then happy to move your seats so your not obstructed.

That's fine. You're also allowed to be an ignorant prick too, which is what you would have to be when part of a section is chanting at you to let them see the game. It really does great things for the atmosphere to piss off your fellow supporters.

I'm not arguing about the rules of BMO. I'm talking about what would help improve atmosphere. Not pissing off people who have been in the same seats for years, despite the rules, helps with atmosphere.

Not that it really matters, but remember that 111 wasn't originally a supporter section. There are still lots of original people who just love soccer and wanted to stand up. Some of you all complain about "tourists", well it happens all the time in 111, accept it's usually an RPB who is trying to show us how to be a real supporter.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 12:04 AM
accept it's usually an RPB who is trying to show us how to be a real supporter.

Yes lump us all in the same group there bud. There are other groups in 111 last year outside of RPB as well as your said the tourists who show up in 111.

Not that it really matters, but remember that 111 wasn't originally a supporter section. There are still lots of original people who just love soccer and wanted to stand up..

There's a perfectly good beer garden where you can stand as well if that is all your concerned about.

Tony Santiago
12-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah thanks. Pretty sure our membership is more then 20 but thanks. If your not interested in helping with the atmosphere with bringing ideas and how to help but critique how we do things pretty sure your in the wrong place.

There's always room for constructive criticism. But basically saying what we've been doing for years is wrong isn't the way to go about it.

I'm not talking about how many RPB's there are, I'm talking about life in 112. It's a pocket of about 20 lively bodies game in and game out. You can say I'm talking shit, but I'm not. That's what it looks like most games.

Anyway, I'm done talking to you. You don't seem to be able to follow a 2 page thread and don't have a comprehension of earlier things I have said. You just want to argue.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 12:05 AM
BvB have amazing flags. I swear some of those things are bigger than my house.

Like the huge RPB and Usector ones that havn't come out in a while. I remember Bobby always throwing up that Usector one. Amazing.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm not talking about how many RPB's there are, I'm talking about life in 112. It's a pocket of about 20 lively bodies game in and game out. You can say I'm talking shit, but I'm not. That's what it looks like most games.

Anyway, I'm done talking to you. You don't seem to be able to follow a 2 page thread and don't have a comprehension of earlier things I have said. You just want to argue.

I was in 112 and know it's more then 20 bodies but whatever you think it looks like i guess is more accurate.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 12:10 AM

This pretty much bang on answers all questions.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 12:21 AM

I've read every comment you have contributed to this board. And the majority have been complaints and imposing your views on how things are done. I.e. calling out our drummers because your don't agree on there way of support.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34684-Drums-Wha-Happened&p=1608849#post1608849

Seriously, it's year 7. What the fuck is going on? Was there a blacksmith in 112 tonight? I could swear the same two idiots have been on drums FOR YEARS!!! What the FUCK?

Can anyone deny the two jackasses with cowboy hats on were having their own dance party tonight? What the FUCK? This shit shouldn't be a novelty at this point.

Whoever the two assclowns on drums were, you should never be allowed to do that again. You hurt support. You are an embarrassment. We're past the pat on the back for participation level....you killed the atmosphere tonight.

Ban me. Insult me. Delete the account. Pretend the passionate voice of supporters doesn't exist. Do whatever, but the fact is....

Anyone who denies what I say is either deaf or too unwilling to admit the fact. The drummers tonight in your section were HURTING THE ATMOSPHERE AND EMBARRASSING TO TFC SUPPORTERS.

But I digress. Were a pretty open group to ideas and new ways to do things. But taking away how we support and consistently passing blame on members of a group who's boards your using isn't helping your case. Either what and how we do things are for your or not. If there not there's alot other places to spew our destructive attitude.

Ivy
12-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Lol I didn't realize it's the drum hater dude...

prizby
12-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Once again, you are not interested in improving or changing the atmosphere. you continue to try and spread your ideas to people who don't want it. Maybe they love that shit in Germany. At BMO, in 111, it starts chants where YOUR FELLOW SUPPORTERS CHANT FOR FLAGS TO COME DOWN DURING PLAY.

This might have happened a couple times, but having been in 111 and personally know the guys who are waving those flags, I know for a fact that they made a concerted effort to make sure the flags were not obstructing the views as often as possible; I don't see, when the play is in the north end, yes, they might be up, but how is it obstructing your view; you should be looking down at the play, to your right; not down at the flags in front

Bluenose13
12-27-2013, 12:56 AM

Anyway, I'm done talking to you. You don't seem to be able to follow a 2 page thread and don't have a comprehension of earlier things I have said. You just want to argue.Hmm....Kenny is that you....LOL

prizby
12-27-2013, 12:56 AM
what i don't get is why a guy is complaining about the flags in 111 on the RPB board when the guys waving the flags in 111 are not RPB??

Bluenose13
12-27-2013, 01:05 AM
what i don't get is why a guy is complaining about the flags in 111 on the RPB board when the guys waving the flags in 111 are not RPB??
Maybe because the same guys in 111 are using the RPB board to attract guys to their new home in 114....Not sure :noidea:

prizby
12-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Maybe because the same guys in 111 are using the RPB board to attract guys to their new home in 114....Not sure :noidea:

i don't think this guy is associated with them...he's complaining about them :facepalm:

Bluenose13
12-27-2013, 01:12 AM
i don't think this guy is associated with them...he's complaining about them :facepalm:LOL....I get that, but when you see this....

2 all interested in seats in 114 should direct questions to user names inibriatti yaggbod or Belfast boy or 111 drummer boy

Could be confusing...

prizby
12-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Could be confusing...

I think (if you look back at earlier posts) a couple people posted of interest in tickets for 114; Ricky is just trying to help them out

Fort York Redcoat
12-27-2013, 08:29 AM
The strange thing about this thread is how it is suddenly about a guys right to wave a flag. The part about them being chanted at by fellow supporters was completely ignored. This is why our atmosphere will never improve.

Tony your opinion is your own and you clearly believe it to be fact. There are groups that disagree with you. This is one of them. You resent groups imposing their way of support but hope to impose your own. I think it would help you to try and find people who are like minded.

Feel free to share your opinion but do it respectfully. What we do is sanctioned and you and your friends will need to learn how to live with it.

And for someone criticizing how we do things to use chanting against their own supporters to help atmosphere?

I've got a question for everyone - Why is there so much importance put on how long one keeps a particular seat? One's dedication to be at every game and contributing to the atmosphere should be more important than where you are. It would solve a lot of problems if people get past it and sit where they are happiest.

Not everyone in the stadium are young and able. I'll always want as many that can to be contributors to the energy but in no way shape or form do I expect everyone who like to do what they do now to do it forever.

Tony Santiago
12-27-2013, 09:11 AM
I've read every comment you have contributed to this board. And the majority have been complaints and imposing your views on how things are done. I.e. calling out our drummers because your don't agree on there way of support.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34684-Drums-Wha-Happened&p=1608849#post1608849

But I digress. Were a pretty open group to ideas and new ways to do things. But taking away how we support and consistently passing blame on members of a group who's boards your using isn't helping your case. Either what and how we do things are for your or not. If there not there's alot other places to spew our destructive attitude.

This proves that as usual it's about winning an argument. You have to go find an old, angry post that has nothing to do with the conversation just so you can "win". You're a sad person.

I stand by those words. They're accurate. If some of you all could lose the ego and see the truth BMO would be a better place.

prizby
12-27-2013, 09:23 AM
They're accurate. If some of you all could lose the ego and see the truth BMO would be a better place.

truth: 111 actually was noticed this year unlike past years

Tony Santiago
12-27-2013, 09:23 AM
You all have lost the plot. Our atmosphere is always going to suffer because it's more about your ego than contributing good support.

You want to improve things? Doing all the same stuff with the same small group of people, forever ignoring and insulting outside influence isn't going to get it done.

The flag issue is ridiculous. Of course they're allowed in the stands. Common sense would tell most people that people would rather watch the game than the back of some part timers flag. Common sense has never been a strong point when it comes to support at BMO.

You all should seriously make this site paid members only...you clearly only want to reinforce each others opinions.

Tony Santiago
12-27-2013, 09:28 AM
truth: 111 actually was noticed this year unlike past years

What are you talking about? I don't think you actually know. Are you still on about the flag thing? 111 was noticed because they had a few flag wavers? Very good...and being noticed is what attending BMO is all about, right?

prizby
12-27-2013, 09:28 AM
who is your? the guys waving flags in 111? For the 3rd or 4th or 5th time...they aren't RPB :facepalm:

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 09:34 AM
This proves that as usual it's about winning an argument. You have to go find an old, angry post that has nothing to do with the conversation just so you can "win". You're a sad person.

I stand by those words. They're accurate. If some of you all could lose the ego and see the truth BMO would be a better place.

Whoever the two assclowns on drums were, you should never be allowed to do that again. You hurt support. You are an embarrassment. We're past the pat on the back for participation level....you killed the atmosphere tonight.

Common sense would tell most people that people would rather watch the game than the back of some part timers flag.

So you stand by personal attacks on members of this group. That proves my point your here to start the argument and push your views of how to support. There is not constructive criticism.

Phil
12-27-2013, 09:47 AM
You all have lost the plot. Our atmosphere is always going to suffer because it's more about your ego than contributing good support.

The flag issue is ridiculous

You all should seriously make this site paid members only...you clearly only want to reinforce each others opinions

You're a sad person

Anyway, I'm done talking to you. You don't seem to be able to follow a 2 page thread and don't have a comprehension of earlier things I have said. You just want to argue

You don't seem to want improved atmosphere, you just want to argue. It's the same old shit, which is what you want, so why even bother with this thread?

You're being foolish. Don't argue for the sake of it.

Yes, the RPB love affair with Portland continues.

For a guy not wanting to argue, you certainly have peppered in a lot of insults and digs. You are surprised? How many times can you say you are done with something only to return to it? You call out Prizby on carrying on about the flags, only to keep talking about them.

Yes some of the guys wave flags for most of the game - over the rail where it doesn’t block views. After goals they tend to be more visible and get raised directly in the stands.

I have no problem with you having a difference of opinion on support and having a discussion about it, but you are baiting people into conflict here. Second warning Tony.

Fort York Redcoat
12-27-2013, 09:50 AM

You want to improve things? Doing all the same stuff with the same small group of people, forever ignoring and insulting outside influence isn't going to get it done.

The flag issue is ridiculous. Of course they're allowed in the stands. Common sense would tell most people that people would rather watch the game than the back of some part timers flag. Common sense has never been a strong point when it comes to support at BMO.

You all should seriously make this site paid members only...you clearly only want to reinforce each others opinions.

Your criticism lost any respect with the last several posts. Responses show you're not ignored. Insults will not be tolerated. Your truth is opinion.

Cut out the namecalling.

cmonyoureds
12-27-2013, 11:17 AM

To be fair, the site does have a members only area. We're guests here and the majority of the posters are open to new ideas and thoughts.

I'll take a stab at this. Those supporters, regardless of individual rights to wave, ideas of support, personal choices, were wrong to want the flags stopped.
You buy a seat in 111, you knowingly buy a seat where this could happen.
In the interest of fairness, if they chant that in a non-supporter area, then the flag wavers are wrong and should stop.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 11:28 AM
To be fair, the site does have a members only area. We're guests here and the majority of the posters are open to new ideas and thoughts.

I'll take a stab at this. Those supporters, regardless of individual rights to wave, ideas of support, personal choices, were wrong to want the flags stopped.
You buy a seat in 111, you knowingly buy a seat where this could happen.
In the interest of fairness, if they chant that in a non-supporter area, then the flag wavers are wrong and should stop.

Agreed. If it was outside of a supporters section I can say I would agree with Tony. That is where you sit enjoy the game, talk about who Johnny banged last night as someone put it. But inside the supporters section there is no argument. It's allowed and it will be done. Complaining about it will do nothing.

Now the issue seems to be that Tony who I can only assume is in sec111 as that has been his point of engagement is jaded. Probably bought the season seats in 111 in the beginning when there was no supporters section in 111. Now that it has been reclassified as a supporters section Tony doesn't like what comes with it.

He wants to stand for the game which is fine. But you have to take the good with the bad. You want standing seats be prepared at any time a flag, banner, twostick, streamers, ect can and will go up. If your whole point to be in a supporters section is to just stand there's a beer garden at the other end of the pitch which you can do that to your hearts content.

JonO
12-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I am going to wade in here because Tony's message seems to be getting lost in his delivery. I agree with him to a point. If you want support to grow and to engage all the supporters, then telling a good chunk who don't like the flag waving to shove it "because it's allowed" is counterproductive. To be honest, I don't like the flags. While I am there to support the team, I am also there to watch the game. Personally, I don't see how one can properly support the team if you don't know what is happening on the pitch.

That being said, I found that for the most part the flag wavers were conscious to keep the flags moving so that people behind could see the action and to wave the flags at appropriate times (lull in the action, after a goal, delay in he game, etc). However, there were definitely a number of times where flags or large banners/two-sticks went up (and stayed up) during a crucial point in the match, blocking the view several rows of seats. Most of these times, the flag wavers seemed oblivious to this fact (heck - they could see the action since they were not behind the flags). It is these types of instance that I think people complain about and rightly so... Angering fellow supporters by doing something just because you are allowed to is not a good way to improve the atmosphere in the stadium.

Keep in mind that there are a number of different way to support the club and if some prefer to sing and chant and jump while watching the game, these people should also be respected.

Shakes McQueen
12-27-2013, 12:17 PM
There's certainly a fair conversation to be had in there, underneath the righteous anger and insults.

- Scott

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 12:55 PM
I am going to wade in here because Tony's message seems to be getting lost in his delivery. I agree with him to a point. If you want support to grow and to engage all the supporters, then telling a good chunk who don't like the flag waving to shove it "because it's allowed" is counterproductive. To be honest, I don't like the flags. While I am there to support the team, I am also there to watch the game. Personally, I don't see how one can properly support the team if you don't know what is happening on the pitch.

That being said, I found that for the most part the flag wavers were conscious to keep the flags moving so that people behind could see the action and to wave the flags at appropriate times (lull in the action, after a goal, delay in he game, etc). However, there were definitely a number of times where flags or large banners/two-sticks went up (and stayed up) during a crucial point in the match, blocking the view several rows of seats. Most of these times, the flag wavers seemed oblivious to this fact (heck - they could see the action since they were not behind the flags). It is these types of instance that I think people complain about and rightly so... Angering fellow supporters by doing something just because you are allowed to is not a good way to improve the atmosphere in the stadium.

Keep in mind that there are a number of different way to support the club and if some prefer to sing and chant and jump while watching the game, these people should also be respected.

And this is what I see when people get on board with how flags are used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDXMbhMQR1U

They will always be an example and a group to look up too. They are by far the best support I've seen anywhere. And I'm not even a Dortmund fan.

They don't stop. Flags are constantly going. Yes they down angle them and change the angle which is what you should be doing it allows people behind to see more often then not. A flag cutting 1 second of view every 3 isn't hindering much. Two sticks and such yes up and down usually before a game starts or during breaks in play.

It's a great discussion to have and I appreciate everyone's views on it but going about it the way some people are is hindering and in a reality poisoning the conversation.

It's really a point to try and get everyone on board with how we move forward as a group in the stands. Fuck Seattle and truly fuck Portland. I want us to be North America's Dortmund. Time to bring it to the big leagues boys not aim for mediocrity.

Shakes McQueen
12-27-2013, 01:02 PM
I think you mean mediocrity.

- Scott

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
I think you mean mediocrity.

- Scott

Yeah stupid autocorrect. :p

We should be aiming for the stars not just coping other groups. Look what they do and execute it bigger and better everytime.

JonO
12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
And this is what I see when people get on board with how flags are used.
I'm not a Dortmund fan either, but I can't help but notice that the entire clip is recorded when there was no play on the pitch.

Yagbod
12-27-2013, 02:33 PM
The argument for 'respecting' the people behind the flags is a slippery slope. If you say, 'yes, it is all well and good that you are entitled to wave your flag, but show some respect for the people behind you', it could easily lead to: 'Don't sing so loudly, you are hurting my ears', or 'Don't clap so much, it is getting my face and hurts my ears', or 'Don't bang that drum so much', finally leading to: 'Sit down, I want to sit down and you are blocking my view'. These all follow the same train of logic, as silly as that sounds and as unlikely as that is to happen.

The thing is, you are allowed to stand. I think even Tony can agree with that and I bet he likes to stand in 111. So what makes that rule ok to enforce, but not the rule to allow flag waving and other activities? This sort of logic does not stand up to reason. Enforce them all or enforce none of them.

The amount of time that one has had their seats for does matter one bit. The section you are in is a Supporters Section and it allows persistent expressions of support including persistent flag waving. That really is the end of it. If you feel strongly that flags should not be waved in supporters sections please take your concerns to TFC. If they reverse the rule I will reluctantly put away that flag.

But if they will not reverse that rule, please just go to another section or keep quiet, or better yet join in! I am exercising my right as a ticket holder in a Supporters Section to wave that flag whenever I want. As it turns out I make every effort keep it down when it could block play. But I do not have to. I can in fact legally wave it the entire game. That is a right I have. People that do not like it have, in fact, no right to complain to me. They can complain to TFC all day long and twice on Sundays, but you have no right to complain to me. At all. Period. End of.

We did try to keep them down, during play, out of respect. Many in 111 did not show us any respect for those efforts by keeping quiet. I should also mention that many complained to security and every single one of them was offered a seat in another section and not once did security come to me and ask me to stop. In fact, more than once, they came over and apologized for the abuse and complemented us on our patience.

Please, call your ticket reps and ask them about the rules. Please, be clear in the knowledge that people who do not like flags currently have no legs to stand on at BMO Field in the Supporters Sections.

Let's keep the peace and focus on the team.

trane
12-27-2013, 02:39 PM
I myself do not mind/like standing and singing 90 minutes, BUT also keeping my eyes on the play at all times. The flags do get in the way.

HOWEVER, if I was still and RPB, and I was sitting in the group section, and the group decided that we would have flags, so be it, that is what it is to be a supporter, or better part of a supporter group.

One of my disagreements with the RPB leadership was that I always thought that the group should push hard for total control of 112 or at least a large section of it, so the atmosphere could be maintained and these kinds of disagreements avoided.

BuSaPuNk
12-27-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm not a Dortmund fan either, but I can't help but notice that the entire clip is recorded when there was no play on the pitch.

There are a bunch of parts that are during play. You can see the keeper in the box. And even when the play is in the end and they come down a few times the flags don't stop.

3:50 in the video you even see the linesman running down the side of the pitch for example.

Phil
12-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I myself do not mind/like standing and singing 90 minutes, BUT also keeping my eyes on the play at all times. The flags do get in the way.

HOWEVER, if I was still and RPB, and I was sitting in the group section, and the group decided that we would have flags, so be it, that is what it is to be a supporter, or better part of a supporter group.

One of my disagreements with the RPB leadership was that I always thought that the group should push hard for total control of 112 or at least a large section of it, so the atmosphere could be maintained and these kinds of disagreements avoided.

Yup. All groups are being given that opportunity with the relocation events. MLSE were unwilling to hand over a section based on their policy, but now they are seeing the benefits these sections have and as a result we have a process. I think it should also be noted that with this process there does seem to be some continuity in 112 at least - its not perfect but its getting better.

trane
12-27-2013, 02:53 PM
^ Good news. Finally.

JonO
12-27-2013, 03:19 PM
The argument for 'respecting' the people behind the flags is a slippery slope. If you say, 'yes, it is all well and good that you are entitled to wave your flag, but show some respect for the people behind you', it could easily lead to: 'Don't sing so loudly, you are hurting my ears', or 'Don't clap so much, it is getting my face and hurts my ears', or 'Don't bang that drum so much', finally leading to: 'Sit down, I want to sit down and you are blocking my view'. These all follow the same train of logic, as silly as that sounds and as unlikely as that is to happen.

I find this line of reasoning to be specious. Standing and signing loudly doesn't affect my ability to watch the game. Never even complained about the drum (which has its pros and cons). But if a nice big two stick goes up... or someone holds a giants flag... there is no way I can see what is happening on the pitch.

But if they will not reverse that rule, please just go to another section or keep quiet, or better yet join in! I am exercising my right as a ticket holder in a Supporters Section to wave that flag whenever I want. As it turns out I make every effort keep it down when it could block play. But I do not have to. I can in fact legally wave it the entire game. That is a right I have. People that do not like it have, in fact, no right to complain to me. They can complain to TFC all day long and twice on Sundays, but you have no right to complain to me. At all. Period. End of.

Sure - you absolutely have that right. Doesn't make it the right thing to do. Doesn't mean it will help support the team - although you may feel better about yourself. There are a number of different ways to support the club and working to find a unique way that works is better than alienating all those who disagree with you.

Ivy
12-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Guys, can we get off this topic?

some will agree with flags, others won't. Some want smoke, others don't. Supporter seats are controlled by supporter groups with a watchful eye of the FO. If the groups decides flags are acceptable, the flags will fly. If the group decides we need smoke, smoke will rise.

If your seats are there from day 1, and evolution allows for things to change and you don't like them, you have 2 options - I'm sure you can figure them out.

The group doesn't need accommodate you because you have your seats for however long or you don't like something we do. FO has been very accommodating to people that don't like the change of atmosphere and want to go elsewhere.

Dont take this as "it's our way or the highway", even though it kind of is. By having seats in those sections, it's a chance you're taking.

I remember 2007-2009 when there were 20 flags flying over the south end and it was still rammed every week - so don't claim that the 1-3 that are sometimes up now are ruining the atmosphere.

Now, can we please move on? Let's talk about how we can keep 111-114 in sync.

Yagbod
12-27-2013, 03:53 PM
I find this line of reasoning to be specious. Standing and signing loudly doesn't affect my ability to watch the game. Never even complained about the drum (which has its pros and cons). But if a nice big two stick goes up... or someone holds a giants flag... there is no way I can see what is happening on the pitch.

Sure - you absolutely have that right. Doesn't make it the right thing to do. Doesn't mean it will help support the team - although you may feel better about yourself. There are a number of different ways to support the club and working to find a unique way that works is better than alienating all those who disagree with you.

1st paragraph response: Standing affects my view of the game, if I want to sit down. Singing could affect my enjoyment of the game, if it hurts my ears, and if you wave your hands (TFC, clap clap clap) then I can't see the field perfectly. It is absurd, but I was describing the logic train and I also acknowledged that it was silly. I was trying to point out that you cannot selectively suggest that we follow some rules, but not others without infringing on the rights of some.

2nd paragraph response: Right and wrong are subjective arguments. You and I obviously disagree on right and wrong and how to best support the team. It has nothing to do with feeling better about ones self. That sentence just seems out of place in your argument. I support by waving a flag because I think it does help the team. There is no self-therapy involved. I don't get that one, anyway: It has nothing to do with disagreeing with me or me alienating others. It is the rules of the section. I did not make them up. TFC sold tickets with those rules in force. You bought them. You know the rules. Why are you trying to alienate those that follow the rules? Why can't you accept the rules as you tacitly did when you bought the tickets?

This is akin to buying something based on how it is advertised and then complaining because it is exactly as advertised.

Yagbod
12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
^^ good points by Ivy. Let's move on. I talked to Bobby at the year end supporters meeting. He may be back on the stand next year. That should help quite a bit with syncing up 111-114. Between him and FYR/Wowza/Flush/whomever they should be able to keep the sections on point.

Doucet3
12-27-2013, 07:48 PM

Agree..

push hard for total control of 112 or at least a large section of it, so the atmosphere could be maintained and these kinds of disagreements avoided.
As phil said its kinda coming together, which sounds great.

^^ good points by Ivy. Let's move on. I talked to Bobby at the year end supporters meeting. He may be back on the stand next year. That should help quite a bit with syncing up 111-114. Between him and FYR/Wowza/Flush/whomever they should be able to keep the sections on point.
Would love to see some cohesion between the supporters section.

Doucet3
12-27-2013, 07:55 PM
At the risk of getting some flak from some members, im curious on a topic, ...now with that being said ive heard on both sides of the discussion Yay or Nay, i want some RPB's opinions.

Why dont we have a United South end Supporters section? (or atleast 112-115/6), or at least Semi-United, like have RPB in 112-113 and in that only 112 would be used for just flags and tifos and etc, while 113 would be the row upon rows of singing all together with 112 obv. and 114-115/6 have U-Sector in those areas and what not but have it where we all sing the same songs at the same time... have a Semi united area; still the individuality of each is own supporters club but its more about the team cause its about putting our voices and visuals out there.

Again i know some dont agree and some do, dont attack me for it just want to understand your POV... theres already been sooooo much love on this thread :D ahhah

Ricky_Portugal
12-27-2013, 09:30 PM

LOL....I get that, but when you see this....

Could be confusing...

hold on someone's trying to say I'm using the rpb boards to recruit members for
114 wow see it's comments like that make things almost impossible to unite support around the south end period like as u can see I'm rpb as my member status and tattoo state I've been rpb for 5 years and many of the member in the stands know who I am and yes I'm a founding member of the inibriatti as well but I'm not her trying to recruit cause I don't see that hellping the main goal in supporting Tfc what a lot of people are missing is the big picture look at the dc united example they all started as barra brava and then. Member broke off a created anditional groups district ultras and screaming eagles but im getting off topic but I feel really insulted being said that I'm recruiting when all I'm doing is directing people who are asking about relocation to 114 and directing them in the right direction so I'm sorry for being helpful

Abou Sky
12-28-2013, 01:07 AM
What are you talking about? I don't think you actually know. Are you still on about the flag thing? 111 was noticed because they had a few flag wavers? Very good...and being noticed is what attending BMO is all about, right?

It seems to me that you really want to watch the game and not be obstructed /bothered by supporters.

The best place in BMO to watch soccer is the front of the 200s why would you not move your seats there if you don't like the atmosphere in 111?

Cashcleaner
12-28-2013, 03:43 AM
At the risk of getting some flak from some members, im curious on a topic, ...now with that being said ive heard on both sides of the discussion Yay or Nay, i want some RPB's opinions.

Why dont we have a United South end Supporters section? (or atleast 112-115/6), or at least Semi-United, like have RPB in 112-113 and in that only 112 would be used for just flags and tifos and etc, while 113 would be the row upon rows of singing all together with 112 obv. and 114-115/6 have U-Sector in those areas and what not but have it where we all sing the same songs at the same time... have a Semi united area; still the individuality of each is own supporters club but its more about the team cause its about putting our voices and visuals out there.

Again i know some dont agree and some do, dont attack me for it just want to understand your POV... theres already been sooooo much love on this thread :D ahhah

I'll tell you why. Because more often than not, it's not what people really want. If it was, we would have already done that years ago. I always have a bit of a chuckle when this topic gets raised, because people just love dropping the word "unity". And why not? It's a positive word that suggests co-operation and togetherness, right? But here's the thing - more often than not, when people say "unity" what they mean to say is "let's all do it my way".

There was a time when Toronto FC had really only two supporters groups; The Red Patch Boys and U-Sector. Tribal Rhythm Nation existed, of course, but for the most part they were a bit of a different entity. So let's think about that, at one time if you were a TFC supporter, you pretty much belonged to one of only two groups. Throw in the fact that RPB and U-Sector did a heck of a lot of joint projects and events and it's pretty obvious that of all the years TFC has been around, the supporters were the most united during the first two seasons or so.

But what happened after that? Well, divisions were formed and people began to break away from those original groups for a number of reasons, but more often than not it can be summed up as "you don't do the things the way I want". And whatever, that's fine. People are free to leave for whatever reason and do their own thing. But what's so funny is how nowadays these people always seem to be the first to throw that word - "unity". Unity is accepting that you're not always going to get things your way or perhaps having to compromise with the will of the majority.

So the question remains. Is it unity what people really want?

If so, I have a proposition: There are the Red Patch Boys and U-Sector - each group having several hundred registered members between them. Furthermore, the two entities are recognized by Toronto FC and MLS as official support groups. Now people will have a choice - join either one according to their respective criteria for membership and take part in their various functions. As a member, they can then argue the case to unite the two remaining groups officially. And even if that fails, we're still left with only two groups; each co-operating together like we were so many years ago. Unity achieved.

Doucet3
12-28-2013, 04:17 AM
I'll tell you why. Because more often than not, it's not what people really want. If it was, we would have already done that years ago. I always have a bit of a chuckle when this topic gets raised, because people just love dropping the word "unity". And why not? It's a positive word that suggests co-operation and togetherness, right? But here's the thing - more often than not, when people say "unity" what they mean to say is "let's all do it my way".

There was a time when Toronto FC had really only two supporters groups; The Red Patch Boys and U-Sector. Tribal Rhythm Nation existed, of course, but for the most part they were a bit of a different entity. So let's think about that, at one time if you were a TFC supporter, you pretty much belonged to one of only two groups. Throw in the fact that RPB and U-Sector did a heck of a lot of joint projects and events and it's pretty obvious that of all the years TFC has been around, the supporters were the most united during the first two seasons or so.

But what happened after that? Well, divisions were formed and people began to break away from those original groups for a number of reasons, but more often than not it can be summed up as "you don't do the things the way I want". And whatever, that's fine. People are free to leave for whatever reason and do their own thing. But what's so funny is how nowadays these people always seem to be the first to throw that word - "unity". Unity is accepting that you're not always going to get things your way or perhaps having to compromise with the will of the majority.

If so, I have a proposition: There are the Red Patch Boys and U-Sector - each group having several hundred registered members between them. Furthermore, the two entities are recognized by Toronto FC and MLS as official support groups. Now people will have a choice - join either one according to their respective criteria for membership and take part in their various functions. As a member, they can then argue the case to unite the two remaining groups officially. And even if that fails, we're still left with only two groups; each co-operating together in relative unity like we were so many years ago. Unity achieved.

Thank for the interesting point of view, in reference to the first para I wish it was as easy as that and people could understand not everything's there way, there has to be a "leader" a government of sorts or there's no structure. I remember those days, fucking marvelous I'd say; I pray we can get back to that, it made BMO feel like my other home, the 2 "In charge" and the rest of us knowing to follow so that together we could give the best support. Having other Supporters groups are fine but I think it's getting to be a bit much, should be a limit on 3-4 keep the Kings of the North right where they card, it's nice to see some Supporters in the north.

if there was a retraction of sorts and RPB and USector gained back there former glory have 112-113 RPB and 114-115 USec and having the capos get songs started up together would be amazing even have just 112 for flags and drums to appease some people who arnt in agreeance with then that way if they disagree they can move to the other side of there respective supporters group side.

i just want to see that togetherness, unity and of course armosphere back at bmo

Pookie
12-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Interesting comments regarding growth.

My comments would center on location, location, location.

My view would be that the RPB will always be limited in their desire for growth if they stick to the corner pie lot. This section is physically separated from 111 which makes "unified" support challenging. It has a neighbour, that really loves the "one one three" and isn't planning to sell. This makes expanding to 114 next to impossible.

Perhaps these neighbours can come together but historically they have elected to support differently. One, more open to challenging the club while the other more of an unconditional lover. Neither is better, just each attracts a different sort and inevitably there will be differing viewpoints that makes "unity" hard.

Objectively, the RBP are the more popular of the groups as evidenced by the participation in this message board over the years. IMO, that is why U-Sector hasn't been able to expand into 114-115 with any degree of lasting success. It would seemingly be an important thing for the RPB executive to consider relocating to property that isn't limited on both sides and allows for natural expansion. I say that with full acknowledgement that "relocation" hasn't been an easy concept with the front office.

That said, gents you want to grow the family and are living in a house that won't support it. You need to move.

Tony Santiago
12-28-2013, 12:14 PM
The non support club supporters are still the majority of people in the South End and 111 and top half of 110.

It was a mistake for TFC to encourage the supporter section to head to 111 and the top of 110. The two main support groups picked an incredibly weird place to set up shop...I don't understand why the corner was picked rather than directly behind the net. A concerted effort should be made to get all sincere RPB members to 112 and 114. Surround the U Sector.

The whole flag issue is ridiculous (comparing it to standing is just dumb. A tall person is still tall if they are sitting in front of you if everyone is seated. They also only affect you directly, not several rows of people behind you...but I digress) Once again, my point is about respect and growing the atmosphere. When most of the support is made up of people who want to be lively and chant occasionally while watching the game, embracing what the majority of fans are into (like TFC clap-clap-clap, as I mentioned earlier) is the better way to go. Don't try and become Dortmund or wherever else because we aren't there. Here, at BMO, it's different.

It's the supporters who want to wave flags all the time, or whatever else they want to do, who really should try and work harder at finding a section to call your own. When there are seat relocation events it's you who should decide, using forums such as this, to all go to 112. It might take a few years, but it will happen eventually. 111 might officially be a supporter section, but clearly there are only sparse pockets of support who are trying to make BMO a new Dortmund, or wherever else.

The big mistake some seem to always make is linking a desire to watch the action to a lack of support. I am extremely passionate and loud. I have already said I would rather 10 loud, focused chants than 20-30 half assed ones. I like loud and lively, I just like the game too.

Thankyou JonO for the support, I am officially moving on from the subject.

Oldtimer
12-28-2013, 02:07 PM
A bit of history: 112 and 113 were picked because the initial groups were quite small and didn't think they could fill a larger area like behind the net. U-Sector was originally a Toronto Lynx SG (when the Lynx were D-2) that numbered maybe two dozen people at most. RPB was less than that. People talk today about "supporters culture," we had no idea that there WAS going to be any "supporters culture." At that time, only DC had any sizable support, TFC turned out to be pretty unique in MLS when match 1 took place. Very soon both groups realized that things were way bigger than they had imagined.

Rudi
12-28-2013, 02:54 PM
A bit of history: 112 and 113 were picked because the initial groups were quite small and didn't think they could fill a larger area like behind the net. U-Sector was originally a Toronto Lynx SG (when the Lynx were D-2) that numbered maybe two dozen people at most. RPB was less than that. People talk today about "supporters culture," we had no idea that there WAS going to be any "supporters culture." At that time, only DC had any sizable support, TFC turned out to be pretty unique in MLS when match 1 took place. Very soon both groups realized that things were way bigger than they had imagined.
A bigger factor was that Paul B. suggested that the accessible seating directly behind the goal (sections 114-116) would put the groups too far away from the field. This is before anyone knew the layout of the stadium except a few within MLSE.

Section 113 (along with its twin, 117) is actually the biggest section in the south stand.

Abou Sky
12-28-2013, 04:44 PM
I have this funny feeling that things will be a lot more United if/when we start to win.

As Phil has said so many times 'winning fixes everything' :-D

As a note though, flags down during play ;-) (you know who you are you big lugs, damn I miss you all!)

OgtheDim
12-28-2013, 06:19 PM
A roof is going to change all this.

prizby
12-28-2013, 09:47 PM
The two main support groups picked an incredibly weird place to set up shop...I don't understand why the corner was picked rather than directly behind the net.

correct me if I am wrong, but weren't people originally interested in 115, but Paul Beirne pushed for you guys to want 112? Thought I might have read that somewhere once a long-time back?

(ahh I see Rudi mentioned this)

Cashcleaner
12-29-2013, 03:00 AM
correct me if I am wrong, but weren't people originally interested in 115, but Paul Beirne pushed for you guys to want 112? Thought I might have read that somewhere once a long-time back?

(ahh I see Rudi mentioned this)

Yeah, it's pretty much those two factors, I'd say. If I remember correctly, we (RPB) were offered a block of like 50 tickets and we were sweating over the thought of maybe not even getting those filled. Bascially, we ended up greatly underestimating our membership numbers. Then Paul B sorta came to us with some ideas and I guess it all came together with us in 112 and U-Sector beside us in 113.

I remember quite a few people being adamant about not being behind the goal as well. So we made at least one good decision in that regard.

Gilberto9
12-29-2013, 01:54 PM
I have this funny feeling that things will be a lot more United if/when we start to win.

As Phil has said so many times 'winning fixes everything' :-D

As a note though, flags down during play ;-) (you know who you are you big lugs, damn I miss you all!)

There was a lot of yelling going on back and forth at flag holders and other supporters while we were winning vs. SKC at the home opener. Not sure if it will solve this issue!!

gdg_9
12-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Sort of off topic (but flag related)...what do people use as the poles for waving flags? and where do you buy something like that?

I'm heading to the Winter Classic and would like to get a flag going at the tailgate.

BuSaPuNk
12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Sort of off topic (but flag related)...what do people use as the poles for waving flags? and where do you buy something like that?

I'm heading to the Winter Classic and would like to get a flag going at the tailgate.

We're limited to what we can bring into the stadium the go to is PVC piping.

gdg_9
12-29-2013, 03:44 PM
We're limited to what we can bring into the stadium the go to is PVC piping.

I wonder if that would fly (pardon the pun) with security at the big house?

Either way, thanks for the tip!

Fort York Redcoat
12-30-2013, 08:04 AM
The non support club supporters are still the majority of people in the South End and 111 and top half of 110.

It was a mistake for TFC to encourage the supporter section to head to 111 and the top of 110. The two main support groups picked an incredibly weird place to set up shop...I don't understand why the corner was picked rather than directly behind the net. A concerted effort should be made to get all sincere RPB members to 112 and 114. Surround the U Sector.

The whole flag issue is ridiculous (comparing it to standing is just dumb. A tall person is still tall if they are sitting in front of you if everyone is seated. They also only affect you directly, not several rows of people behind you...but I digress) Once again, my point is about respect and growing the atmosphere. When most of the support is made up of people who want to be lively and chant occasionally while watching the game, embracing what the majority of fans are into (like TFC clap-clap-clap, as I mentioned earlier) is the better way to go. Don't try and become Dortmund or wherever else because we aren't there. Here, at BMO, it's different.

It's the supporters who want to wave flags all the time, or whatever else they want to do, who really should try and work harder at finding a section to call your own. When there are seat relocation events it's you who should decide, using forums such as this, to all go to 112. It might take a few years, but it will happen eventually. 111 might officially be a supporter section, but clearly there are only sparse pockets of support who are trying to make BMO a new Dortmund, or wherever else.

The big mistake some seem to always make is linking a desire to watch the action to a lack of support. I am extremely passionate and loud. I have already said I would rather 10 loud, focused chants than 20-30 half assed ones. I like loud and lively, I just like the game too.

Thankyou JonO for the support, I am officially moving on from the subject.

Are you still trying to move on, Tony? Other opinions are called dumb and ridiculous and you expect support for your idea of how it should be. Good luck.

And now you're telling supporters to move to 112 to support? They are welcome to it but they don't have to. They and you are in a Supporters section.

A certain Kevin Payne quote concerning friendlies springs to mind.

trane
12-30-2013, 08:36 AM

If so, I have a proposition: There are the Red Patch Boys and U-Sector - each group having several hundred registered members between them. Furthermore, the two entities are recognized by Toronto FC and MLS as official support groups. Now people will have a choice - join either one according to their respective criteria for membership and take part in their various functions. As a member, they can then argue the case to unite the two remaining groups officially. And even if that fails, we're still left with only two groups; each co-operating together like we were so many years ago. Unity achieved.

Part of the reason new groups were formed, and initially they were only sub groups were formed was because the RPB was so larger and we were sitting all other the stadium. In 104, there was 10 of us, plus another 10 who would be there occasionally, that is how the North End Elite was formed in the opposite corner from us, but the initial thought was never to leave the RPB. And I think that this is not a bad thing to do, a large supporters group with sub groups in it, to organize around the different sections of the stadium UNLESS you are able to dedicate entire sections to supporters only and put all the groups in there, so that you do not have supporters all over the stadium. BUT THEN THESE sections must be dedicated to support and supporters, and controlled by the supporters groups. (Phil is saying that this is happening)

tiberius
12-30-2013, 08:53 AM
This thread is hilarious, if it wasn't so sad - just caught up - lost track of it around when streamers were spotted 3 for a buck...

To recap, Tony gave well thought out suggestions/ideas to Improve atmosphere:

- The new faces and so called "tourists" need to stop being talked about negatively.
- concentrate on a few good chants
- cut down on gratuitous flag waving during play
- ease up on the drum
- stop profanity chants
- the idea of uniting beyond 112

Well, what happened? Four or more of you stomped on him with both boots - it was like four Roogseys on a cupcake - wow.

It got turned into:
- flags yes or flags no
- my God given right to be an asshole with a flag
- I am six foot four
- they will ban chanting soon
- gtf out of the supporters end
- admin warnings to boot!!

As someone above said, some of you have really lost the plot.

These were good suggestions - open for discussion, offered in good faith - no need to agree with them... but the Jackboots come out...

At least JonO had the decency to speak up - I am surprised that others are sitting there as bystanders here, just watching - must be the season...

The absolute hilarity, to round out the thread, is when Doucet (again, in good faith) offers up:

"Why dont we have a United South end Supporters section?"

Absolute genius - I laughed so hard, I fell off my dinosaur... gold, pure gold...

Why can't we all just get along? ... pretty sad boys, pretty sad...

Phil
12-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Personally Tony's points have merit, but nothing new really. We need those 'tourists' to come in and be shown a good time so they stay and help support grow.

Chants need to be looked at but we also need some inspiration on that front. It feels repetitive and a bit like 'work' due to the malaise of this team. Some new faces on the team and some wins could really be a breath of fresh air. Flag waving is a big non issue in 112. As many have pointed out most of Tony's issue was involving 111 and some confrontational actions in there. 112 we wave them over the rail and do our best to use them at appropriate times. Tony doesn't seem to like drums, but the point stands that sometimes it can derail a good chant, it can also keep one going on the flip side. Profanity always finds its way into chants, but there is no need to make them the focus of a chant - YSA is a good example and one we don't use. Admin warning came out of the insults being thrown. Its a bit silly to offer your opinion while insulting them.

Just a follow up point - talking about drumming and chanting on the internet is a massive time sink that gets you nothing. The enviornment is made in the stands, not on a message board. Trying to define it on here may be fun but in the end its the crowd and its mood that have the biggest effect.

tiberius
12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Personally Tony's points have merit, but nothing new really. We need those 'tourists' to come in and be shown a good time so they stay and help support grow.

Chants need to be looked at but we also need some inspiration on that front. It feels repetitive and a bit like 'work' due to the malaise of this team. Some new faces on the team and some wins could really be a breath of fresh air. Flag waving is a big non issue in 112. As many have pointed out most of Tony's issue was involving 111 and some confrontational actions in there. 112 we wave them over the rail and do our best to use them at appropriate times. Tony doesn't seem to like drums, but the point stands that sometimes it can derail a good chant, it can also keep one going on the flip side. Profanity always finds its way into chants, but there is no need to make them the focus of a chant - YSA is a good example and one we don't use. Admin warning came out of the insults being thrown. Its a bit silly to offer your opinion while insulting them.

As you and Tony and many others have observed, winning will solve a lot of things - hopefully fratricide included! :D

Fort York Redcoat
12-30-2013, 09:58 AM
This thread is hilarious, if it wasn't so sad - just caught up - lost track of it around when streamers were spotted 3 for a buck...

To recap, Tony gave well thought out suggestions/ideas to Improve atmosphere:

- The new faces and so called "tourists" need to stop being talked about negatively.
- concentrate on a few good chants
- ease up on the drum
- stop profanity chants

Well, what happened? Four or more of you stomped on him with both boots - it was like four Roogseys on a cupcake - wow.

It got turned into:
- flags yes or flags no
- I am six foot four

As someone above said, some of you have really lost the plot.

These were good suggestions - open for discussion, offered in good faith - no need to agree with them... but the Jackboots come out...

At least JonO had the decency to speak up - I am surprised that others are sitting there as bystanders here, just watching - must be the season...

The absolute hilarity, to round out the thread, is when Doucet (again, in good faith) offers up:

"Why dont we have a United South end Supporters section?"

Absolute genius - I laughed so hard, I fell off my dinosaur... gold, pure gold...

Why can't we all just get along? ... pretty sad boys, pretty sad...

Hyperbole to make a point? Check.
Cherry picking the posts for effect? Check.

Must be tiberius.

If you're going to choose sides and make a point with a summary you may want to read the whole thread so as to look informed instead of just guessing because Jackboots was not even close to the reaction to his "observations not accusations".

TOBOR !
12-30-2013, 10:08 AM
for a moment I considered reading through this thread.

MightyDM
12-30-2013, 10:52 AM
From Phil: "Chants need to be looked at but we also need some inspiration on that front. It feels repetitive and a bit like 'work' due to the malaise of this team."

The best idea I have seen is the Drake song posted in other threads. " Started from the bottom, now I'm heah" works brilliantly if we start winning. And equally brilliantly if we do not!

tiberius
12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Hyperbole to make a point? Check.
Cherry picking the posts for effect? Check.

Must be tiberius.

If you're going to choose sides and make a point with a summary you may want to read the whole thread so as to look informed instead of just guessing because Jackboots was not even close to the reaction to his "observations not accusations".
Carry on red coat - more fratricide - as if it will help right now... To be clear, are you with the jackboots, a bystander, or...? not sure where you are landing on this one...

BuSaPuNk
12-30-2013, 12:48 PM

Said "tourists" are people that flock into 112 to be part of the atmosphere without contributing at all. There there for the party not the support. It's also a huge problem in 111. It's not all people that don't usually come into 112/111 ect.

- concentrate on a few good chants \

I think we have been doing this. Good chants usually go on for longer then the ones that aren't as good. I personally don't want us to be UM02 and do three songs continuously all game. People will get bored and eventually stop singing.

Flag use is not really an issue. As Phil pointed out flags are usually kept on the side rail in 112 or 111 as to not block view at all times. Flags are put up for some songs because they go well with them.

- ease up on the drum

The drum is a vital presence in 112 and the southend. Without it songs would not carry over the sections and the beat really keeps everyone together alot better then waiting for voices to carry over the stand.

- stop profanity chants

There is a place for profanity. We don't use it all the time but when we do it's effective. Can you hear for instance or The Red Bulls are Shite. There ingrained in some songs and quite frankly going anywhere. Again I agree with Phil were not doing YSA or something to that nature. There is a method not just shouting profanity's for the sake of it.

There's too many factors against uniting anything right now. Between USector doing there own thing and not putting up a capo or joining in much this year to having less people in the stands. It wasn't a good year to unite anything. With more success by the team hopefully it will give more of the people and groups a change to engage the people who didn't do much for atmosphere this year.

It got turned into:
- flags yes or flags no

It's not a yes or no answer. There will always be flags and they will always come up during play. It's the timing of putting them up that is the real issue to some people.

It's not a right but it follows the rules of the FO in a supporters section. Can people be smarter with flag use in the ends? Yes. But throwing insults to people with flags (I was also verbally abused this year for such) is no way to get your point across.

- I am six foot four

That's just Ivy being Ivy. lol

Don't ever see that being being done and never see anyone in this thread threaten such action.

If your surprised by what's happening in the supporters end and have no real input how to help the situation with flags or songs ect. And just want your way implemented then yes move. There's going to be flags and songs with obscenities and two sticks and such. If you are not willing to be in the end and know that a split second or two every few minutes your view is going to be blocked by a flag, your going to hear fuck, ect then it's probably not the place for you. It's easy enough to find a place in the south (if you want to stay there) or the midfield that you can be to not miss someone running towards the ball ect.

Personal attacks are one no way to make your point or contribute to the discussion, and they will not be tolerated.

Sums up all of that.

tiberius
12-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Sums up all of that.

good for you...

Fort York Redcoat
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Carry on red coat - more fratricide - as if it will help right now... To be clear, are you with the jackboots, a bystander, or...? not sure where you are landing on this one...

My point exactly. You're pigeon holing people into sides and playing victim when someone calls you out.

If you want to stow the hyperbole and discuss any of the summary points you raised you're free to do so. As free as others who produce counter points in a respectful manner.

If Unity was easy it would over and done by now. It means listening from all involved.

BuSaPuNk
12-30-2013, 01:05 PM
good for you...

Again if your not willing to discuss points made in the thread or add any discussion at all this is the wrong place for you.

Phil
12-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I think its time to shut this down.