PDA

View Full Version : Formations

Doucet3
12-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Well with us acquiring almost all that TL promised aside from officially getting Defoe I'd like to see what your lineups are.

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2013/12/894183_Toronto_FC.jpg
Sub: Konopka, Morgan, Agboss, Lambe, De Rosario, Weideman, Dike

Could also see
http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2013/12/894187_Toronto_FC.jpg
Sub: Konopka, Morgan, Agboss, Lambe, De Rosario, Weideman, Dike

What do you see as our potential lineup?, even without Defoe Dike would be his position replacement, for the 4-4-1-1 id switch dike and Gilberto

Jack
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I think we'll be playing Nelsen's preferred 4-4-2, like your first formation.

Initial B
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
What about a 4-3-3 with Gilberto-Dike-Defoe as the forwards and Rey-Laba-Osorio as the mids? DeRo would be a super-sub and Jackson/Hall/Bekker/Lambe would be replacement midfielders.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Dont think Osorio will be starting quite as often so theres less pressure on him to develop, think youll also see DeRo play on the wing (dunno if he'll replace Jackson or vice versa)

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Dont think Osorio will be starting quite as often so theres less pressure on him to develop, think youll also see DeRo play on the wing (dunno if he'll replace Jackson or vice versa)
DeRo does whatever he wants so technically you can toss him on either wing or in the center of midfield pushed up and of course at either forward spot. He probably won't do what Nelsen draws up on the play board but he can play DeRo Ball anywhere.

Yohan
12-19-2013, 04:09 AM
As of right now

-------------Bendik
Bloom-Caldwell-Henry-Morrow
-Jackson--Laba--Osorio--Rey
--------Dike------Gilberto

Fort York Redcoat
12-19-2013, 08:20 AM
I thought I read/heard Gilberto doesn't mind the box whereas Defoe plays a bit off it.

Wouldn't that lend Gilberto as top man in the second formation?

ag futbol
01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
I am going to bump this thread since we have a lot of moves and interesting options for opening day 2014.

-------Defoe------------Gilberto------
Osorio-----------Bradley-----------Rey
--------------Laba--------------------
Morrow----Henry----Caldwell---Jackson
---------------Bednik-----------------

If Laba doesn't stick around.....

----------Defoe------------Gilberto---------
----Dero----------------------Rey---------
--------Osorio----Bradley----------------

So many different questions here I don't know where to begin.
- Does Dero start?
- Where does Jackson play?
- Who plays RB?
- Do we pick up another winger or use Osorio out wide?
- Is another DM in the cards if Laba has to be loaned out?

Jack
01-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I am going to bump this thread since we have a lot of moves and interesting options for opening day 2014.

-------Defoe------------Gilberto------
Osorio-----------Bradley-----------Rey
--------------Laba--------------------

If Laba doesn't stick around.....

----------Defoe------------Gilberto---------
----Dero----------------------Rey---------
--------Osorio----Bradley----------------

So many different questions here I don't know where to begin.
- Does Dero start?
- Where does Jackson play?
- Who plays RB?
- Do we pick up another winger or use Osorio out wide?
- Is another DM in the cards if Laba has to be loaned out?
I don't think Jackson is a right back and I think we'll see some competition for the the side mid/wing spots. DeRo can play on the left, so can Osorio. Rey and Jackson fighting for the right? Morrow and Morgan fighting for the left back role, with Morrow likely winning.

I think we'll play with Nelsen's flat 4 across the middle. Either Laba + Bradley, with Laba in the defensive role, or if Osorio + Bradley, it'll be Bradley. Defoe in a second striker role and Gilberto as centre forward?

It's nice to have some options. And our backline could still use a bit more help.

ag futbol
01-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Don't think the 1-1 stack makes sense up top. From everything we've read these strikers aren't really the type to combine, so why put one in a position to be fed by the other?

When defending one will definitely drop back further, but when attacking I'd think they'll be side-by-side. Both looking to get on the ball and attack defenders.

ensco
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
If Laba stays, and you have both Laba and Bradley sitting in front of the defenders, I don't think we're going 4 at the back now. We are still very weak at the back. You wouldn't want or need to have two of Henry , Morgan, Bloom or Richter out there, with a strong defensive MF in place.

I'd wager it'll be a 3-4-1-2 or similar, with Jackson as one wingback, and Rey or Lambe as the other. Something tells me Lambe could be very effective as a wingback, with the better support he'd be getting.

We would now have a little depth at forward and in MF, and even with 3 at the back, two of Dike, Dero and Osorio won't start. If we get a decent fullback in somehow, to go with Caldwell and Morrow, then I think we can be a playoff team.

All it took was $100M.

Canary10
01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I wish Nelsen hadn't given a complete non-answer to the question where DeRo would play. I'm really curious about that.

Jack
01-09-2014, 01:53 PM
If Laba stays, and you have both Laba and Bradley sitting in front of the defenders, I don't think we're going 4 at the back now. We are still very weak at the back. You wouldn't want or need to have two of Henry , Morgan, Bloom or Richter out there, with a strong defensive MF in place.

I'd wager it'll be a 3-4-1-2 or similar, with Jackson as one wingback, and Rey or Lambe as the other. Something tells me Lambe could be very effective as a wingback, with the better support he'd be getting.

We would now have a little depth at forward and in MF, and even with 3 at the back, two of Dike, Dero and Osorio won't start. If we get a decent fullback in somehow, to go with Caldwell and Morrow, then I think we can be a playoff team.

All it took was $100M.
Lambe might work at RB with Bradley and Laba in the middle. I still don't think Nelsen is going to vary from his 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1), but Laba as the holder and Bradley as the box to box would mean there would be less pressure on the fullbacks. If Laba goes and Bradley becomes the more defensive of the middle pairing with Osorio, for example, then you need fullbacks that are stronger defensively and Lambe might be more exposed.

OgtheDim
01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Bloom over Lambe -

Far better positioning

Gets ahead without losing his head

I thought Caldwell trusted him more.

Ageroo
01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Nelsen talking now...let's see if he spills any beans.

notthesun
01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I can't see Nelsen going with anything but a back four. Wouldn't surprise me to see some changes upfield, but something other than a flat back four? I don't see it.

Canary10
01-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Nelsen talking now...let's see if he spills any beans.

Not much but sounds like he'll be used strategically. Don't think he'll be a regular starter.

Jack
01-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Bloom over Lambe -

Far better positioning

Gets ahead without losing his head

I thought Caldwell trusted him more.

All very good points.

pdubs
01-09-2014, 02:17 PM
just get lambe off the team. rather push morgan ahead to the midfield lol

Canary10
01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
just get lambe off the team. rather push morgan ahead to the midfield lol

Lambe's going to have a good season. Mark my words!

PopePouri
01-10-2014, 09:45 AM
I think a diamond midfield would work to get DeRo on the park with the DPs.

--------Gilberto----------Defoe---------
(Dike, Wiedeman, Hamilton, Welshman, De Rosario)

-------------De Rosario-----------------
(Bekker, Osorio)

--------Rey--------------Jackson-------
(Hall, Lambe, Osorio, Bradley)

---------------Bradley------------------
(Hall, Morrow)

-Morgan---Henry-----Caldwell---Morrow-
(Agboss, Bloom, Richter, Elmer)

- We can play narrow, possession based game where we dominate the middle.
- We have attack minded full backs to push forward and provide the width
- We have mobile center mids which is essential for a diamond.
- Bradley becomes a Beckerman-like player linking the mid to the defense and pushing forward at times.
- DeRo gets on the pitch in a position he's familiar with. Can stay more attack-minded too.

GuelphStorm2007
01-14-2014, 02:58 AM
M formation for now is a basic 4 4 2

Bendik

Bloom Henry Caldwell Morgan

Rey Osario Bradley Dero

Gilberto
Defoe

I know this very basic but I know it will be different come opening day...

Yohan
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Assuming TFC is keeping Laba, and it sounds like Tim B is working on this,

--------------Bendik
Bloom--Henry--Caldwell--Morrow
--Rey--Bradley--Laba--Osorio
---------Defoe---Gilberto

Subs
Konopka
Agbossoumonde
Jackson
Hall
De Rosario
Bekker
Wiedeman

Best 18 right now, and still got 2 months till first game.

notthesun
01-14-2014, 03:09 PM

Forgot about Dike?

Yohan
01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Forgot about Dike?
Oops.

Hope Dike stays, but loan for him sounds like happening.

ManUtd4ever
01-14-2014, 03:51 PM

--------------Bendik

Subs
Konopka
Agbossoumonde
Jackson
Hall
De Rosario
Bekker
Wiedeman

Solid lineup, but you forgot to add Morgan.

Initial B
01-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Wow, the way we're forgetting to add these substitutions - you'd think TFC actually had some depth now or something... :o

Mr. Bigby
01-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Lambe's going to have a good season. Mark my words!

Yes, but with which USL team?:)

prizby
01-14-2014, 04:01 PM

--------------Bendik

Subs
Konopka
Agbossoumonde
Jackson
Hall
De Rosario
Bekker
Wiedeman

think DeRo/Jackson start ahead of Oso

and i see dike was touched upon, but if you don't think Dike is going to be here, i don't think laba will either

Yohan
01-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Solid lineup, but you forgot to add Morgan.
not in my best 18

Yohan
01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
think DeRo/Jackson start ahead of Oso

and i see dike was touched upon, but if you don't think Dike is going to be here, i don't think laba will either
DeRo don't have the legs to play LM, nor does he track back. Tim B has said TFC is working on keeping Laba. I think they'll blow a wad of allocation money to bring him down to non DP level.

ag futbol
01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
With TL was on fan 590 yesterday talking about TFC, the words that came up when he mentioned De Rosario was "depth". To me that suggests he is going to be the first guy off the bench most games or the first person called upon when we have absences over the WC and the like. My concern about fitting Dero on the field in a first choice starting 11 is that he would have to play in the midfield, he's not the fastest, isn't exactly known for tracking back.

I know he's a quality player and all, but I think there will be enough squad rotation where he's going to get enough minutes without being the first choice starter.

ag futbol
01-14-2014, 04:14 PM

--------------Bendik

Subs
Konopka
Agbossoumonde
Jackson
Hall
De Rosario
Bekker
Wiedeman

I would do this exact starting 11, with the exception of Jackson swapped for Bloom. The Brazilian is probably the hardest person to peg in our lineup, because he could play 3-4 different spots.

Would like to see us add another quality FW type and another CB who may challenge Henry for the starting role.

Yohan
01-14-2014, 04:18 PM
I would do this exact starting 11, with the exception of Jackson swapped for Bloom. The Brazilian is probably the hardest person to peg in our lineup, because he could play 3-4 different spots.

Would like to see us add another quality FW type and another CB who may challenge Henry for the starting role.
I think it's Bloom's spot to lose at RB. Nelsen seems to rate him highly, and Bloom combines well with Rey. Jackson can play RB, but I'm not convinced he's better than Bloom defensively.

ensco
01-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Bloom is a squad player, not a starter on a playoff team.

MartinUtd
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Call me crazy, but even this looks better than what we started with last year.

--------------Bendik
Richter--Morrow--Agboss--Morgan
Lambe---Osorio----Hall----Jackson
---------------DeRo
----------------Dike

Yohan
01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Bloom is a squad player, not a starter on a playoff team.
nor is Jackson a starting RB on a playoff team

ensco
01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
nor is Jackson a starting RB on a playoff team

Agree. But I could see Jackson as a winger in 3-at-the-back Serie A type formation.

I have wondered elsewhere if that is what might happen here.

reggie
01-14-2014, 06:38 PM
maybe ROMA....can loan us FLORIZI,he can play RBg:D

T-boy
01-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Agree. But I could see Jackson as a winger in 3-at-the-back Serie A type formation.

I have wondered elsewhere if that is what might happen here.

Nelson said yesterday he prefers a 4-4-2 formation defensively, that can break out to more of a 2-4-4 when the team hs possession, so I don't see him having 3 at the back.

ensco
01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Nelson said yesterday he prefers a 4-4-2 formation defensively, that can break out to more of a 2-4-4 when the team hs possession, so I don't see him having 3 at the back.

Nelsen needs to think more carefully. You spend $100m, you'd better match the formation to the players.

Putting in a Bloom over an Osorio because you "prefer" a formation is pretty strange.

evermorian
01-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Call me crazy, but even this looks better than what we started with last year.

--------------Bendik
Richter--Morrow--Agboss--Morgan
Lambe---Osorio----Hall----Jackson
---------------DeRo
----------------Dike
Yikes, I don't think I would start Morgan this year, or richter, or Agboss unless they have all drastically improved this offseason but thats just my opinion. I would start Elmer ahead of Morgan, or at least play him in preseason to see how he does.

trane
01-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Nelsen needs to think more carefully. You spend $100m, you'd better match the formation to the players.

Putting in a Bloom over an Osorio because you "prefer" a formation is pretty strange.

There may be very good reason to adopt a straight up 4-4-2, but too me you have to find the system that will get the best of the players you have, and if you to make big singing in particular you want to put them in great position to succeed, a straight up 4-4-2 does not seem to be that. For started you would want to put Bradely right in the middle to allow him to direct the team, then Defoe, from what I have seen has always been something of a SS/WF type. for me something like a (DPs + De Ro);

RB----CB------CB-------LB
---------Bradely-----------
----CM-----------CM------
-----------De RO----------
-----De foe----------------
------------Gilberto--------

Makes more sense, is organized and puts the big signing in positions to make the biggest impact. 3 at the back, with two wing backs particular if we have Laba back to patrol the heart of the mid Bradely with could also be good.

I like the 4-4-2 ( or at least the 4-4-1-1 as the basis of hard working team, and I understand why it was used last year, but now you have an influx of talent you need to adapt the tactic to suite it ( I will admit if Laba stays the 4-4-1-1 may also work with him and Bradely being the central mids- although the 4-3-1-2 or even the 4-3-2-1 may suite it all better)
it

Oblio2
01-15-2014, 08:50 AM
There may be very good reason to adopt a straight up 4-4-2, but too me you have to find the system that will get the best of the players you have, and if you to make big singing in particular you want to put them in great position to succeed, a straight up 4-4-2 does not seem to be that. For started you would want to put Bradely right in the middle to allow him to direct the team, then Defoe, from what I have seen has always been something of a SS/WF type. for me something like a (DPs + De Ro);

RB----CB------CB-------LB
---------Bradely-----------
----CM-----------CM------
-----------De RO----------
-----De foe----------------
------------Gilberto--------

Makes more sense, is organized and puts the big signing in positions to make the biggest impact. 3 at the back, with two wing backs particular if we have Laba back to patrol the heart of the mid Bradely with could also be good.

I like the 4-4-2 ( or at least the 4-4-1-1 as the basis of hard working team, and I understand why it was used last year, but now you have an influx of talent you need to adapt the tactic to suite it ( I will admit if Laba stays the 4-4-1-1 may also work with him and Bradely being the central mids- although the 4-3-1-2 or even the 4-3-2-1 may suite it all better)
it

I think Dero, behind the front 2 is a great move. Defoe needs the ball on the ground, Dero is a good player to bring playersinto the game. Bradley is a solid box to box midfielder. I think Our midfield and Forward line are great. Our 2 new defenders ....love it

ensco
01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
We have seen this movie already. Nelsen wouldn't play Silva because he didn't "fit" the 4-4-2, so they moved him, then two weeks ago in an interview, he pinned Silva's departure on Payne!

Nelsen needs to develop some flexibility for 2014. In a hurry.

More importantly, I want to see a lot less formation talk out of Nelsen or anyone else involved with the team.

It's not that important. Barcelona play with 10 midfielders. Formations should change depending on game situation and personnel available.

Formation debates turn into sideshows, and excuses for players.

It's just soccer. The most important thing is to get the best 11 guys on the field, and make sure you are clear what the expectations are.

MartinUtd
01-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Yikes, I don't think I would start Morgan this year, or richter, or Agboss unless they have all drastically improved this offseason but thats just my opinion. I would start Elmer ahead of Morgan, or at least play him in preseason to see how he does.

I was aiming for 2nd or 3rd choice in all those positions, maybe Elmer is better but tbh I can't even remember what he looks like let alone how his play holds up. How many minutes did Elmer even get? Either way, I still think that line up is better than the likes of Califf, Dunfield, Braun, etc...

backbeat
01-15-2014, 09:29 AM
We have seen this movie already. Nelsen wouldn't play Silva because he didn't "fit" the 4-4-2, so they moved him, then two weeks ago in an interview, he pinned Silva's departure on Payne!

More importantly, I want to see a lot less formation talk out of Nelsen or anyone else involved with the team.

It's not that important. Barcelona play with 10 midfielders. Formations should change depending on game situation and personnel available.

It's just soccer. The most important thing is to get the best 11 guys on the field, and make sure you are clear what the expectations are.

i don't think nelson's stuck on 4-4-2 - he's said many times, including this week, that the players determine formation. i think he used 4-4-2 last year because the team was weak, in transition, and is was easier to keep shape - i doubt 4-4-2 will be the predominant formation in 2014.

Oldtimer
01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
No matter how you look at it, TFC will have one of the best attacking sides in the league. Even when Defoe and Bradley are away it will still be a decent attacking side.

Canary10
01-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Bloom is unfairly getting a bad rap. He started three games last year I believe. We haven't seen enough of him to say he's a starter or not on a playoff team. From what I've seen of him, he likely is, but I haven't seen him play that much yet. He might be the next Chris Klute (and has taken the same path).

Wooster_TFC
01-15-2014, 10:44 AM
I could have sworn that Nelsen was quoted last year saying that it's way less about the formation, and way more about the shape and strategy when we don't have the ball.

For example, things like; forcing the opposition into specific areas of the pitch, overloading on one side depending on strength of fullback/winger, double teams, pressure on long balls.

Regardless of what formation they line up as, I fully expect him to want a "flat" 4-4 defensively in order to be able to accomplish the strategy.

PopePouri
01-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Armen delivers the goods.

In 2013, Nelsen primarily used the 4-4-2 formation, and when asked if he had given any mind to new combinations with these new pieces in the roster, Nelsen answered confidently.

"Yup, of course," said Nelsen, when asked if he had any new formations in mind. "If you want to talk about formations, when we attack, we don’t attack in a 4-4-2. Just because you put them out in a defensive situation, it doesn’t mean when you have the ball, you end up being in a 4-4-2. We end up being a 2-4-4 a lot of the times when we attack or a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3."

"When you have the ball, it’s about attacking with balance," Nelsen continued. "When you get into your defensive shape, I’ve always thought that 4-4-2 has the most balance across the field. I’ve always liked that without the ball, but when you talk about it with the ball, we’re a lot of formations depending on our strength going forward."

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/1/13/5305040/ryan-nelsen-talks-formations-with-defoe-and-bradley-at-toronto-fc

evermorian
01-15-2014, 12:10 PM
I was aiming for 2nd or 3rd choice in all those positions, maybe Elmer is better but tbh I can't even remember what he looks like let alone how his play holds up. How many minutes did Elmer even get? Either way, I still think that line up is better than the likes of Califf, Dunfield, Braun, etc... I see, I thought you were saying that was a first choice line up and I was like, thats crazy. YOu are right, that is almost better than last years starting xi. Pretty sad how we played with pretty much a 'b' team in mls standards all of last year. With Elmer, I think its weird that he's not playing. If they can't get rid of him this year they mine as well play him. Either nelson doesn't rate Elmer or maybe he is one of Paynes guys so Nelson refuses to play him. I just didn't think Morgan was that good last year and would loved to have seen more of Elmer.

Cas87
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
I think Dero, behind the front 2 is a great move. Defoe needs the ball on the ground, Dero is a good player to bring playersinto the game. Bradley is a solid box to box midfielder. I think Our midfield and Forward line are great. Our 2 new defenders ....love it

De Ro as the one who pushes the play forward to Gilberto and Defoe would be the best choice, however I also think that Osario or Jackson learning from De Ro and preparing to take some of the strain off of De Ro (beacuse lets face it he isn't getting any younger) would also be the best thing to do
For Osario this tutaledge will also be good for the National Team (assuming he progresses and develops as expected.)

jloome
01-15-2014, 12:59 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/1/13/5305040/ryan-nelsen-talks-formations-with-defoe-and-bradley-at-toronto-fc

Confirming what I said in another thread about a week ago; I stand by the argument: switching positions every time you have to track back or changing assignments to cover all the time makes us very vulnerable, especially on the counterattack.

trane
01-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Formations are important, whenever you have 11 players on the filed they need to be organized, if not it is chaos. BUT fortmations need to be suited to the players you have, the sitiation, the opponent, you cannot be in love with a cetain formation, if it does not suite your players.

PopePouri
01-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Confirming what I said in another thread about a week ago; I stand by the argument: switching positions every time you have to track back or changing assignments to cover all the time makes us very vulnerable, especially on the counterattack.

How many goals did we concede off the counter last year?

ensco
01-15-2014, 01:31 PM

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Nelsen saying all the right things there. I withdraw my earlier comment.

Now he has to deliver that fluidity. That is the real job of the manager, having all the players have a unified vision of when/how to change roles as game situations change.

Chinatownchef
01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
If we are talking about formations, personally I would like to see all the talent up front and used to full advantage. My preference is going a 4-3-1-2 formation which is pretty much a Serie A formation a la Maximillano Allegri. Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto making up the 1-2 attack portion. The combined talent of the other players should be put in their normal positions, both Defoe and Gilberto need to see premium ball service by the likes of Michael Bradley. My second choice would be a 4-2-3-1 like Jose Mourihno used in Real Madrid.

jloome
01-15-2014, 10:53 PM
How many goals did we concede off the counter last year?

It's a valid question and off the top of my head I don't know. But I do remember us being particularly vulnerable to it, most notably on the switch of field. We left opposite side players open constantly. There are some decent tacticians in this league, and maybe Nelsen will adjust for this. But by following the very popular modern theory of "bunching" his players and pursuing the ball as a singular unit instead of being positionally distinct, we're assuming we have guys talented enough to cover off space behind players caught out of position, and to switch positions almost on the fly when defending.

This may have been resolved to some degree by getting Bradley, who is a midfield controller; he'll read the game and sit back a little through most of the game, only pushing up when he wants to deliver an important pass, and the rest of the game breaking down the other team's passing channels. But I'm still a bit skeptical. I think we could end out scoring a ton of goals this year, but giving up a good number too.

Kaz
01-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Now being as we were such a limited forward threat last season means that if we can hold the ball... and actually score a once and a while we will have a little more time. More so we would have done not so badly has we had any offensive threat.

Though we do still have some work to do in the back. We will see... Hopefully the attack will help offset some of the formation and back line issues.

trane
01-16-2014, 07:16 AM
If we are talking about formations, personally I would like to see all the talent up front and used to full advantage. My preference is going a 4-3-1-2 formation which is pretty much a Serie A formation a la Maximillano Allegri. Bradley, Defoe and Gilberto making up the 1-2 attack portion. The combined talent of the other players should be put in their normal positions, both Defoe and Gilberto need to see premium ball service by the likes of Michael Bradley. My second choice would be a 4-2-3-1 like Jose Mourihno used in Real Madrid.

The 1 in the 1-2 is a trequartista a AM/SS type playmaker, Bradley is the best signing we have made but he is a CM/CDM, he will be the mid field general, from there he can still be a deep lying playmaker alla Pirlo, the De Ro is a trequartista type except that he is a ball hog, he creates for others, almost by accident.

ag futbol
02-07-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm guessing the formation is going to look like this:

-------------Gilberto------Defoe----------------
-------????-----------------------------Rey------
-----------???????----Bradley-------------------
Morrow-------Henry---------Caldwell------Orr
--------------------Cesar (later Bednik)-------

And at least one of those spots is going to be occupied by Osorio. So we have one spot up for grabs and one of Dero, Jackson, Farran, or Lambe will fill it. My money would be on Jackson first and Dero being used as a super sub or WC cover if Defoe makes the English team.

notthesun
02-07-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing the formation is going to look like this:

-------------Gilberto------Defoe----------------
-------????-----------------------------Rey------
-----------???????----Bradley-------------------
Morrow-------Henry---------Caldwell------Orr
--------------------Cesar (later Bednik)-------

And at least one of those spots is going to be occupied by Osorio. So we have one spot up for grabs and one of Dero, Jackson, Farran, or Lambe will fill it. My money would be on Jackson first and Dero being used as a super sub or WC cover if Defoe makes the English team.

Jackson LM and Osorio CM would be my prediction for the starting lineup against Seattle. Dike in place of Gilberto if he has a better Disney tournament.

pdubs
02-07-2014, 05:10 PM
i think we put rey on the left, Osorio besides Bradley and Jackson on the right. Heard rumblings that Jackson might be able to play CM but idk, think he will be used do bomb on the right. Dero can be plugged in at ST/LM and CAM if we every decide to use it.

kodiakTFC
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
What I love most about this team is that our depth looks fantastic. With a few injuries, we look fine. Thats never been the case with this club.

tsn3
02-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Not sure how the defenders might line up, but I rate Hagglund to get some good minutes this year....

http://s7.postimg.org/532m8tffv/930086_Toronto_FC.jpg

ensco
02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
My bet: Jackson will be a FB, and Rey will start.

Also I'd bet Dike will start at least 50% of the games. Dero will be a sub quite regularly.

OgtheDim
02-08-2014, 11:47 AM
TFC is unlikely to be playing a Diamond. From what we heard from Joe Bendik, they will use two CM's that will come back deep for the ball - Osorio and Bradley from the looks of things.

I have Giilberto slightly deeper then Defoe, based on seniority really. Movement off the ball is paramount in this plan.

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2014/02/930090_Toronto_FC.jpg

ensco
02-08-2014, 11:51 AM
^I'd bet that's it exactly. Unless Lambe beats out Rey, or Morgan beats out Orr.

When Dero comes one, unless he's coming in for Defoe, in which case Dero is the recessed striker, he becomes a number 10, and they switch to 4-3-1-2

Yohan
02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
TFC is unlikely to be playing a Diamond. From what we heard from Joe Bendik, they will use two CM's that will come back deep for the ball - Osorio and Bradley from the looks of things.

I have Giilberto slightly deeper then Defoe, based on seniority really. Movement off the ball is paramount in this plan.

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2014/02/930090_Toronto_FC.jpg
Defoe and Gilberto has yet to practice together yet. And language barrier. Hopefully they can get sorted with the 2 weeks they will have playing with each other but oh boy...

I can see Dike starting vs Seattle with Gilberto as sub. Gilberto is behind on match fitness

Globetrotter
02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
If Brazil could do it, so can we... 4-2-2-2 :rolleyes:

4 man back line.
Bradley, x, Dero, Osorio (all in the middle of the field) - no wing play.
Gilberto, Defoe.

Richard
02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm so excited just looking at these formations, cant wait for the season to start. To bad about Laba though :(

Abou Sky
02-08-2014, 01:12 PM
If Brazil could do it, so can we... 4-2-2-2 :rolleyes:

4 man back line.
Bradley, x, Dero, Osorio (all in the middle of the field) - no wing play.
Gilberto, Defoe.

That may not be as crazy as it sounds, drill a hole through the middle of the pitch.

Problem is, I think we MAY have the starting 11 to do it, but what about subs/injuries/suspension? I would probably start Jackson in the second two and have DeRo come on at 60-65 mins when he isn't the slowest guy on the pitch anymore :p

Globetrotter
02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
You don't need to be fast in a 4-2-2-2... it's all technical. Fast if for the wings which we've eliminated.

If there's injuries, you move away from that formation.

Yohan
02-08-2014, 02:18 PM
You don't need to be fast in a 4-2-2-2... it's all technical. Fast if for the wings which we've eliminated.

If there's injuries, you move away from that formation.
you do need great FBs who knows how to time their runs, plus a bit of pace to get back in a hurry. TFC has none that can play 4-2-2-2

Initial B
02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
After reviewing the Columbus game, I'm starting to form the opinion that the 4-2-3-1 is making the 4-4-2 obsolete. Columbus' 5 in the midfield outnumbered our 4 mids and made it hard for TFC to get anything going. Meanwhile, their lone striker was able to shadow our back four and spring forward on through passes. Striker partnerships have to coordinate and they're not given enough time to do so in the modern game. I'm somewhat worried whether Nelsen can work in anything other than a 4-4-2.

PopePouri
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
After reviewing the Columbus game, I'm starting to form the opinion that the 4-2-3-1 is making the 4-4-2 obsolete. Columbus' 5 in the midfield outnumbered our 4 mids and made it hard for TFC to get anything going. Meanwhile, their lone striker was able to shadow our back four and spring forward on through passes. Striker partnerships have to coordinate and they're not given enough time to do so in the modern game. I'm somewhat worried whether Nelsen can work in anything other than a 4-4-2.

I agree. Bruce Arena who is also married to a 4-4-2 will most likely struggle.

OgtheDim
02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
I for one am not going to read anything formation wise into 1 preseason game.