PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Home Dero

Pages : [1] 2

Richard
12-18-2013, 03:11 PM
:scarf:Welcome home Dero :scarf:

#TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) News: Reds select @dwaynederosario (https://twitter.com/dwaynederosario) in the MLS Re-Entry Process Stage Two. Pending MLS approval. #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)

Just keep it civil.:hump:

Slick
12-18-2013, 03:13 PM
:scarf:Welcome home Dero :scarf:

#TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) News: Reds select @dwaynederosario (https://twitter.com/dwaynederosario) in the MLS Re-Entry Process Stage Two. Pending MLS approval. #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)

Just keep it civil.:hump:

I don't like this one bit.

TFC07
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome back! :flare:

Ageroo
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Love it......

Technorgasm
12-18-2013, 03:15 PM
ddddeeeerrroooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parkdale
12-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm interested in seeing the terms.

A little humility, along with his natural talent, and he could be a positive contributor to the team again.

And I guess this means the "purge" of shit management is complete?

ProfessorDamage
12-18-2013, 03:16 PM
He will most certainly NOT tear this league apart.

phonzo
12-18-2013, 03:18 PM

this made me laugh..now someone quick we need the Fuad Ibrahim scale!

pdubs
most interesting is that on the extratime radio podcast he made it clear he would never return with the old regime in place. with this move it shows he believes things have changed and at least at this point support the management in place right now.

ManUtd4ever
This was a great PR move by the club. I assume that the contract terms and his revised role on the club were discussed prior to making the selection. There is no chance that the new regime would risk turning this into a clusterfuck given the history of both parties involved.

Welcome back DeRo.

Greg
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Welcome back! Here is hoping he finds his old form.

notthesun
12-18-2013, 03:20 PM
We apparently already have a contract in place. (https://twitter.com/soccercanada/status/413400735540199424)

I think this is a fantastic off-the-field move, and a decent on-the-field move. It's low risk with potentially huge reward, and I think Bez will still recognize the need for a creative mid despite DeRo coming in.

Oblio2
12-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Dero feeding the ball to Gilberto/Defoe is awesomely awesome.

Defoe plays down low...needs fed low...Dero playing high behind front 2 in midfield will do this. NOW, Defoe (if he signs) will tear this league apart and Dero will get a ton of assists.
I am literally buzzing......

Phil
12-18-2013, 03:22 PM
From what I had heard (not from TFC) the contract is appropriate, but I have no confirmation. Welcome back, its a little bit of a gamble but worth taking in so many respects.

I hope he does well and avoids injury.

Beach_Red
12-18-2013, 03:23 PM

A little humility, along with his natural talent, and he could be a positive contributor to the team again.

It sure looks that way.

SuperTCP
12-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Welcome home DeRo!

Technorgasm
12-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Dero is a fucking beast.
LOVE the guy. .
TFC treated him like shit, and so di d'SOME' of the supporters.

welcome back with open arms, if he contributes on teh pitch, all the bette4r.

looking forward to the Malvern Shuffle!

DOMIN8R
12-18-2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.jokelibrary.net/xOtherAtoM/g_to_m/kotter/kotter01.jpg

mowe
12-18-2013, 03:29 PM
I like the move. He could be effective in the right role. It's definitely a plus for marketing and fan excitement.

Borga
12-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Hoping he knows he needs to be a distributor and not a guy that charges head down towards the net, refusing to pass, finally blasting a terrible shot 15 yards over the net.

jabbronies
12-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Just please don't give him the captain arm band...

Otherwise, we'll see how this plays out.

Relja
Welcome back and I hope he stays healthy and productive

Oldtimer
I was one of those who wanted him gone in the day.

Now I am one who wants him back.

I think things will end very differently this time.

Welcome home DeRo!! Let's face it, DeRo belongs in red!

Flipityflu
should never have got rid of him in the first place.

Haddy
12-18-2013, 03:32 PM
http://lochase.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/im-back.jpg

pdogg
I love the two signals this sends off

1 - TFC is no longer the the TFC of old - DeRo would have never come back to that dysfunctional group
2 - DeRo has a chance to reshape his image to fans of TFC

If both groups play nice and this goes well, it could be an event that we look back at and identify when the team took a turn in the right direction

It's an optimistic, pie in the sky kind of opinion, but this deal could be larger than just bringing back a former player.

El Diego
I am struggling to see where De Rosario would fit in a flat 4-4-2. Would make sense as a bench option to change things up.

Oldtimer
12-18-2013, 03:38 PM

It sure looks that way.

You mean, this guy?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2850&d=1362624884

He was one of the last survivors.
It was inexcusable what happened with Celtic.

Hustle
12-18-2013, 03:38 PM
This makes me feelin good.

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I am struggling to see where De Rosario would fit in a flat 4-4-2. Would make sense as a bench option to change things up.

That's assuming a flat 4-4-2 is the plan going forward or just a necessity last season with a thin, poor squad.

Ben - D.O.W.
Just please don't give him the captain arm band...

Otherwise, we'll see how this plays out.

That's gotta stay with Caldwell, doesn't it?

I was happy when he left, but I'll be the first to admit I'm now cautiously optimistic that he's coming back.

pdubs

we need 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 in my opinion. hopefully nelson is willing to experiment with the added vets we now have

tfcleeds
Although how much he can actually contribute is debatable, I'm glad he's back. It's fitting for him to end his career here, and the way he left, left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I still think he has enough left in him to be productive for at least another season. Him helping us make the playoffs for the first time would be a great way to finish his career.

Oldtimer
12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Looking forward to the first "chicken dance..." may it be against Montreal!!!! DeRo was a big part of the 6-1 miracle in Montreal.

WestStandGeoff
12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Dero is a fucking beast.
LOVE the guy. .
TFC treated him like shit, and so di d'SOME' of the supporters.

welcome back with open arms, if he contributes on teh pitch, all the bette4r.

looking forward to the Malvern Shuffle!

Is that the official name of that chicken-peck dance he does after scoring? I always thought it was a little lame, but to each his own...

Anyway, when he left it was the right thing. It also seems like the right thing to bring him back, and with the current management I can't see them pulling this off if the salary didn't make sense.

Phil
12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Shake and bake I believe the dance is called.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 03:47 PM
So would he be playing on the wing? I think we could still use a central midfielder after today.

T-boy
12-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Good move!

We have to be realistic in terms of his age and injuries, and don't expect 20 goals and running around an a billion miles an hour. But he brings experience, he's a "local hero", known by the "non football people" of Toronto and will put a few bums on seats.

I think if he is mostly fit (for a 35 year old) and motivated (which will help him try to play even if his body is hurting) then he will have a good season. I doubt we will get a "quality" player out of him for more than 1, maybe 2 seasons at his age, but I think he brings enough to the squad to justify the re-signing.

El Diego
That's assuming a flat 4-4-2 is the plan going forward or just a necessity last season with a thin, poor squad.

Yeah I was thinking that, too, but the signings they've made so far make it seem like they want to play two out and out strikers (Gilberto + DP). For the record I thought 4-2-3-1 made the most sense for the personnel last year and was hoping they'd focus on a starter beside Laba to free up Osorio as a DM, but with every signing it seems like Nelsen has a 4-4-2 going forward in mind.

Whatever, it's not so much the formation as it is the style, anyway.

notthesun
Unless Nelsen switches to a 4-1-2-1-2 (Osorio & DeRo competing for the CAM slot, Jackson/Rey on the wings, Laba DM) or something similar, DeRo will probably be on the left wing most of the time.

tfcmanu
12-18-2013, 03:50 PM
1 word DERO! TFC buzz back love it

mowe
12-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Dicoy Williams! I forgot about him. I was a big fan of him, always thought he was a solid defender who'd do great in MLS. But then he blew out his knee playing for Jamaica and wasn't the same when he came back. Too bad.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 03:52 PM
It's still not up on TFC's site.

Couchy81
12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
I love this move. Next season has a good feeling to it already.

Parkdale
12-18-2013, 03:56 PM
the best part of this - Dero will be playing like a man with something to prove, and when he played like that, we saw great footy.

Ageroo
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I agree Mike.....let's hope everything comes up Milhouse.

Initial B
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Nelsen might run a 4-4-1-1 with the option of pushing the wings up to make it a 4-2-3-1. Soccer seems to be evolving towards having a deep-lying playmaker, not a traditional number 10. DeRo on the wing running up to support/initiate the attack might work.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 04:02 PM

The formation has be modified based on our current group of midfielders and forwards.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 04:05 PM
The formation has to modified based on our current group of midfielders and forwards.

Why do you say that? Any player can play in a 4-4-2.

T-boy
12-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I have no idea how this is going to work out....something like this:

DeRo - Laba - Osario - Rey
-----Gilberto-DP(Defoe?)----

The problem with that formation is that its relying on young Osario to be the major string pulling midfielder. Then we have Jackson who can rotate with DeRo? Either way, I think we still need another CM playmaker, we can't rely on Dero's older legs and/or Osario's youth being consistent all season, can we?!

TFC_Allez
12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome home DeRo! This made me very happy!

__wowza
12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
this made me laugh..now someone quick we need the Fuad Ibrahim scale!

http://i.imgur.com/PTj4HYh.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/PTj4HYh.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/PTj4HYh.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/PTj4HYh.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/PTj4HYh.gif

welp.. i hope you guys are happy, you broke the scale.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I have no idea how this is going to work out....something like this:

DeRo - Laba - Osario - Rey
-----Gilberto-DP(Defoe?)----

The problem with that formation is that its relying on young Osario to be the major string pulling midfielder. Then we have Jackson who can rotate with DeRo? Either way, I think we still need another CM playmaker, we can't rely on Dero's older legs and/or Osario's youth being consistent all season, can we?!

No, I think we still need a central midfielder.

Although the games I watched him, Jackson played mostly centrally. Maybe they're thinking Jackson/Osorio? Still doesn't feel like the right combo.

C.Ronaldo
12-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm happier than a pig in poop

welcome home

Let the hometown boy ads begin.

denime
12-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Welcome home DeRo!I hope it this time will work well for both sides.

Milanista
12-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Nelsen might run a 4-4-1-1 with the option of pushing the wings up to make it a 4-2-3-1. Soccer seems to be evolving towards having a deep-lying playmaker, not a traditional number 10. DeRo on the wing running up to support/initiate the attack might work.

4 4 1 1 i think ur bang on. I can't see us with this manager play a 4 2 3 1 no way…Ive always liked 4 3 2 1 aka Christmas Tree formation

Beach_Red
12-18-2013, 04:42 PM
You mean, this guy?

He was one of the last survivors.
It was inexcusable what happened with Celtic.

There was really a perfect storm of dysfunction with this team from the very beginning. It's really quite amazing what we went through here. It's going to make it absolutely amazing when the team is winning.

themodelcitizen
12-18-2013, 04:42 PM
It's still not up on TFC's site.

Have to agree a contract, which might be pre-agreed, and then have it rubber-stamped by MLS. I believe they just got his "rights" with the re-entry pick, but were already negotiating.

For pop/rap songs to make good chants, they need to have a bit more... obvious rhythm (?) than that Drake tune. Like old sea shanties or folk songs, the tune has to be easily recognizable, especially when sung by thousands of drunk guys with bad voices.

Considering Glass Tiger specially recorded one of their hits for our use, but it still never took off in the south end, it's hard to imagine many popular contemporary songs will be easily translated to a cheer.

flamehawk
12-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Have to agree a contract, which might be pre-agreed, and then have it rubber-stamped by MLS. I believe they just got his "rights" with the re-entry pick, but were already negotiating.

Rumor has it that contract has already been agreed and its awaiting league approval.

Of all the moves that could indicate TFC has turned the corner, this is THE move.

...Watch me have to eat my words in half a year's time...

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 04:52 PM

For pop/rap songs to make good chants, they need to have a bit more... obvious rhythm (?) than that Drake tune. Like old sea shanties or folk songs, the tune has to be easily recognizable, especially when sung by thousands of drunk guys with bad voices.

Considering Glass Tiger specially recorded one of their hits for our use, but it still never took off in the south end, it's hard to imagine many popular contemporary songs will be easily translated to a cheer.
Agree 100%. Attention span of a lot of supporters is similar to that of a 3 year old's when hopped up on pixie stix so the short, simple, and easily rhythmic ones work best. Look at what has worked on a larger scale than just the corner of the south end and 127. It's your basic chants that can be made out easily in an open air stadium and that don't have an assload of words to learn or hear.

zeelaw
12-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Happy endings!

maninb
12-18-2013, 05:00 PM
I love the two signals this sends off

1 - TFC is no longer the the TFC of old - DeRo would have never come back to that dysfunctional group
2 - DeRo has a chance to reshape his image to fans of TFC

If both groups play nice and this goes well, it could be an event that we look back at and identify when the team took a turn in the right direction

It's an optimistic, pie in the sky kind of opinion, but this deal could be larger than just bringing back a former player.

This.....I hope DeRo sees that he could be part of TFC FINALLY becoming a good side....He shouldn't be Captain..The Captain should be Steven Caldwell...he's a ROCK at the back and a true leader...I'm almost optimistic...LOL!

v00d00daddy
12-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Interesting that the benefits that people are bringing have little to do with product on the pitch.

Nobody knows how much he has left in the tank.
Nobody knows where he's going to fit in, position wise. (because he doesn't play a position and because we don't know what Nelsen wants to do with him)

But we know that it brings back TFC buzz and butts in the seats and that we get to see him chicken dance if we're lucky.

We also don't know how much he's going to get paid or if he's going to be a "leader" on this team.

Strange days. We're talking about turning the corner for the better after taking on a 35 year old player coming off a horrible season.

I understand cautious optimism but this seems a little desperate on TFC's part.

Please sign a midfield general so that DeRo's time can be limited to a super sub/world cup fill in.

BritSOL
12-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Dero now gets his 2nd chance to be on the wall of honour.

Brooker
12-18-2013, 05:18 PM
It's like an old wrestling storyline.

T-boy
12-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Really, I don't really care where DeRo plays. At LAST - we have a squad with DEPTH! The last couple of season's the squad's depth, especially in attacking midfield and striker has been terrible! Koev's gets injured, we have Amerikwa as a replacement (WTF?!). Then Earnshaw gets injured last season and we have Braun and Weideman!

Now if Gilberto or new DP is injured, we have DeRo or Dike. If Osorio is injured, DeRo can play cover for him. At long last, we have cover that isn't Amerikwa or Braun!

MLS is a long season, you really need depth. We are getting some nice depth for the first season in a long time!

Jack
12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm glad to see him return. At the time of his dispute with management, I admit I started the "Shut up and play" thread, as I was tired of the airing of dirty laundry in public. Of course, we all know, in hindsight, that the management at that time was such a clusterfuck that he probably had no other choice. I just wanted him to lead us to glory. That said, when he was here I loved his heart and dedication to the city and the supporters. I loved the way he went after that little prick who came over and taunted our corner after a goal. I loved the way he stuck it up Montreal's ass in the Voyageur's Cup. There are a lot of things I love about DeRo's time here and I am glad to see him return. He is a passionate player who wears his heart on his sleeve, which is what makes him successful, though it sometimes gets him into trouble.

Welcome home, Dwayne.

adam1001
12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Dare I say that I'm feeling....optimistic? Could this be our year finally? :scarf:

ensco
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
As always, A LOT DEPENDS ON THE SPECIFICS. What is expecting re role? How much money is guaranteed?

Very significant move on the PR front. Makes me think that Leiweke is seriously worried he won't get Defoe or Gila, and will present "Gilberto + Dero + I tried, I really tried, I'm still trying" as his January blockbuster message.

Which I am kind of rooting for, personally.

KevBaller
12-18-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/umad.gif.pagespeed.ce.UB4A0XRMQW.gif

T-boy
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
As always, A LOT DEPENDS ON THE SPECIFICS. What is expecting re role? How much money is guaranteed?

Very significant move on the PR front. Makes me think that Leiweke is seriously worried he won't get Defoe or Gila, and will present "Gilberto + Dero + I tried, I really tried, I'm still trying" as his January blockbuster message.

Which I am kind of rooting for, personally.

I don't actually doubt that we will get our second DP. So far Leiweke is a man of his word - MLS experience depth, check, one young DP check....the "big star "DP still to come. I think it will happen.

David_Oliveira
12-18-2013, 05:33 PM
How long before tfc puts out the mandatory "I'm Coming Home" clip

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Why do you say that? Any player can play in a 4-4-2.

Agreed. I was referring to a variation of the 4-4-2 as opposed to the flat 4-4-2 that Nelsen implemented last season. I think a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield would be best suit our roster, especially with Defoe reportedly on deck.

flamehawk
12-18-2013, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxgqpCdOKak&feature=youtu.be&t=3m38s

reposting from reddit

khso11
12-18-2013, 05:49 PM
I've certainly didn't like him after the contract signing celebration as a captain of the team. But over the years, I've heard both side of the story and I think he isn't the biggest culprit here, so Im more than happy to welcome him back to the club!

Redcoe15
12-18-2013, 05:49 PM
The appropriate music for this moment.

x2Fa4EYh5QM

I was one of those who was in DeRo's camp. I thought he was treated shabily by the front office. I believe there were promises made that were broken or unfufiled that we may never know about. DeRo should never have left this team the way it happened.

That he's back shows there's hope for this team.

jazzy
12-18-2013, 05:54 PM

worse if he even tries.......we're done if he does, and thats one step backwards.... we have some sophisticated talent here and coming in , a new generation . HE better be willing to change or the old mgmt is NOT purged just reinvigorated . I simply refuse to go backwards !!! ...yes he was treated badly in the past and I was pro Dero but in his last games for Canada he was not pass friendly or even smart on the field .

v00d00daddy
12-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Really, I don't really care where DeRo plays. At LAST - we have a squad with DEPTH! The last couple of season's the squad's depth, especially in attacking midfield and striker has been terrible! Koev's gets injured, we have Amerikwa as a replacement (WTF?!). Then Earnshaw gets injured last season and we have Braun and Weideman!

Now if Gilberto or new DP is injured, we have DeRo or Dike. If Osorio is injured, DeRo can play cover for him. At long last, we have cover that isn't Amerikwa or Braun!

MLS is a long season, you really need depth. We are getting some nice depth for the first season in a long time!

Totally agree.

Now let's just hope he's depth and nothing more

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 06:19 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=439327

The team's all-time leading scorer, DeRo has won everything there is to win in MLS. But the former league MVP is 35 and made a whopping US$654,300 last season. Plus he left Toronto on bad terms in 2011.

In the end, the conclusion was the attacking midfielder would be a welcome asset if he were to agree to a new role and reduced contract number.
It seems everyone is on the same page, with Toronto choosing the former D.C. United star in Stage 2 of the MLS re-entry draft Wednesday.

The move came after some careful discussion.

"Tim B (general manager Tim Bezbatchenko) and I got on the phone with Dwayne a couple of weeks ago and had a good hour conversation about what it is he wants to do, what happened here (in his first stint) and where we're trying to go," Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment boss Tim Leiweke told The Canadian Press on Wednesday.
"And we aired it all out."

The next step was for De Rosario to speak to manager Ryan Nelsen, to hear his vision for the future.

While Toronto had yet to get his signature on a contract as of the re-entry draft announcement, Leiweke talked as if a deal was all but done.

"I think (Bezbatchenko) and Dwayne and Dwayne's agent did a very good job of trying to find a fair deal," he said. "And to Dwayne's credit, he understands that if this is about winning, we had to have enough room left within our (salary) cap to add a couple more pieces here.

"And I believe they have found a deal that will do that ... A lot of credit to Dwayne. He probably could get paid more elsewhere. But he chose to come to Toronto because he likes what we're building here. And boy is that a change.

"For a guy that left because he didn't like what we were doing, to come back because he likes what we're doing, I think says an awful lot about Tim B and Nellie and the job they've done this off-season."

"Look I don't mind the fact that we're building a team with personality," said Leiweke. "I like that. I like teams with personality. I also understand that we take a bit of risk here as to what if it doesn't work out.

"But I believe in the conversation we had with him, there will be enough understanding and communication with him where he understands his role and accepts it. And thrives to be the guy to teach young kids how to win."

Leiweke also recognized De Rosario gives the team "more of a home-town Canadian feel that's important to us."

Jack
12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Interesting quotes at the end there. If that is, indeed, what DeRo sees, then maybe there is cause for some cautious optimism.

Kaz
12-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Every one knows he isn't home yet right? TFC just selected the right to negotiate with him, he could always say no thanks I don't like the offer.

I hope he agrees to terms and he comes home though. if he can get some service and you play a 4 3 1 2 with Dero floating with Osorio, Laba, Jackson and the DP forwards we could have a really strong attack.

Haddy
12-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Every one knows he isn't home yet right? TFC just selected the right to negotiate with him, he could always say no thanks I don't like the offer.

I hope he agrees to terms and he comes home though. if he can get some service and you play a 4 3 1 2 with Dero floating with Osorio, Laba, Jackson and the DP forwards we could have a really strong attack.

According to Leiweke in the Canadian Press article, the deal has been agreed. TL believes DeRo took less money at TFC than he would have earned elsewhere.

SoccMan2
12-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Welcome back DeRo you never should have left but thanks to the incredibly incompetent clowns that ran this organization into the gutter for the last seven years it was not surprising they let you go. However, I think we just might have the right people guiding the ship now and it's great to have you home and where you belong. DeRo one of the best Canadian players the MLS has ever had up to this point and his championships and his stats show it, welcome home.

adam1001
12-18-2013, 06:51 PM

You would think that they probably have a mutual understanding about the situation, given the fact that we actually followed through and selected him in the draft. You never know, though.

JavierMartini
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
http://footballformation.co.uk/team/442/181213214956.png

A flat 442 is what im expecting, id rather have a diamond mid with oso and rey on the sides and laba in the back with dero floating at am. I'd really love to see morgan and ecks given free reign for runs up the side of the pitch. Hopefully morgan can find the service he was giving Koevs in Defoe or Gilberto.

billyfly
12-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Surprised even after all the talk about this potentially happening.

FluSH
12-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Maybe I didn't love you
Quite as often as I could have
And maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have

If I made you feel second best
Dero, I'm sorry I was blind
You were always on my mind

And maybe I didn't hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
I'm so happy that you're mine

Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
But you were always on my mind

Tell me, tell me that your sweet love hasn't died
And give me, give me one more chance
To keep you satisfied
I'll keep you satisfied

Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
But you were always on my mind

Globetrotter
12-18-2013, 07:24 PM
things might be changing for the better at TFC, but we still have people here drawing up formations with guys out of position. :)

FluSH
12-18-2013, 07:26 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/umad.gif.pagespeed.ce.UB4A0XRMQW.gif

LMAO

MKR
12-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Great. I love this move. Wish the season would start tomorrow.

Parkdale
12-18-2013, 07:29 PM
more random thoughts:

- I wonder if Drake called DeRo too?
- I hope that DeRo's management / agent learned something from that past debacle (aka get it in writing)
- With Cochrane and MoJo (spits on ground) gone, they might actually be giving dero a fair deal, without dangling a carrot.
- speaking of a carrots, it makes so much more sense for him to finish his career here, especially if he wants to continue with a club after his playing days are done.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
I read in one of the many articles posted online today that Drake wasn't involved in the talks with DeRo. Drake has spoken with Gilberto and Defoe on behalf of the organization.

ensco
12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
I only like the move if TFC has the standard option to cut him at the halfway point, without the dollars hitting the cap in the second half. My problem is that I doubt Dero would agree to that.

If Dero is on guaranteed money, then this is probably not smart.

Kaz
12-18-2013, 07:37 PM
According to Leiweke in the Canadian Press article, the deal has been agreed. TL believes DeRo took less money at TFC than he would have earned elsewhere.

No according the Canadian press the two sides have talked but no deal has been signed yet...

I would love for it to be signed, I suspect it will be... but you never know.

Alonso
12-18-2013, 07:39 PM
It's like an old wrestling storyline.

YES

And this time, the story will end as we all hope?

STAY TUNED BITCHES... 2014 got a whole lot more interesting on the drama front.

(Just when you thought you were out. They pull you back in!)

Personally, I think this is going to end very well.

Jack
12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
http://footballformation.co.uk/team/442/181213214956.png

A flat 442 is what im expecting, id rather have a diamond mid with oso and rey on the sides and laba in the back with dero floating at am. I'd really love to see morgan and ecks given free reign for runs up the side of the pitch. Hopefully morgan can find the service he was giving Koevs in Defoe or Gilberto.

Do you know something about Ecks that we don't?

Shakes McQueen
12-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm not one for symbolic gestures, and you guys know I wasn't his best fan, but I think this one was needed.

Agreed. DeRo in many ways is emblematic of Canadian soccer to TFC fans, and the way things went to hell last time didn't really sit well with anyone (for any number of reasons).

This move is worth more than whatever he gives us on the field, because it gives fans closure on that embarrassing chapter, and gives people another chance to have good feelings about DeRo. It's also a powerful signal that the last vestiges of previous administrations are gone, and this is indeed a new day. Good move.

And hey, maybe he's got some gas left in the tank. I'd trust him to be a solid contributor more than a lot of other guys his age.

- Scott

Haddy
12-18-2013, 07:49 PM
No according the Canadian press the two sides have talked but no deal has been signed yet...

I would love for it to be signed, I suspect it will be... but you never know.

Did I misread this?? Quote from TL in CP article.

----

"I think (Bezbatchenko) and Dwayne and Dwayne’s agent did a very good job of trying to find a fair deal," he said. "And to Dwayne’s credit, he understands that if this is about winning, we had to have enough room left within our (salary) cap to add a couple more pieces here.
"And I believe they have found a deal that will do that … A lot of credit to Dwayne. He probably could get paid more elsewhere. But he chose to come to Toronto because he likes what we’re building here. And boy is that a change.
"For a guy that left because he didn’t like what we were doing, to come back because he likes what we’re doing, I think says an awful lot about Tim B and Nellie and the job they’ve done this off-season."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-select-de-rosario-in-mls-re-entry-draft/

69Chevy396
12-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Agreed. DeRo in many ways is emblematic of Canadian soccer to TFC fans, and the way things went to hell last time didn't really sit well with anyone (for any number of reasons).

This move is worth more than whatever he gives us on the field, because it gives fans closure on that embarrassing chapter, and gives people another chance to have good feelings about DeRo. It's also a powerful signal that the last vestiges of previous administrations are gone, and this is indeed a new day. Good move.

And hey, maybe he's got some gas left in the tank. I'd trust him to be a solid contributor more than a lot of other guys his age.

- Scott
Fence sitters like me may return to BMO wih moves like this one.

JavierMartini
12-18-2013, 07:54 PM

- Scott

HEAR, HEAR!

http://shinguardian.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dero.jpg

Alonso
12-18-2013, 08:07 PM
things might be changing for the better at TFC, but we still have people here drawing up formations with guys out of position. :)

LOL

AND With players who won't be playing for us in 2014

Wagner
12-18-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm really happy that DeRo is back.
I hope he can contribute. (he is getting older, had some injuries)

DeRo is right next to Dichio as my fave TFC player.
(I wanted Frings to be in that conversation so badly)

Dichio's passion was unmatched.

however, no other TFC player has given me excitement butterflies like DeRo. When he had the ball just outside the box, and had the "eye of the tiger"...

and we'll never forget what he did to make the Montreal Miracle happen.

OgtheDim
12-18-2013, 08:25 PM
I hope he proves me wrong about his capabilities.

If he is starting in the middle, we got issues. I see him as a possible sub for an AM or Osorio in the middle. On the side, he is an attitude upgrade on Convey, but I don't think he has the pace anymore.

Time for all of us to put the animosity aside and focus on the badge.

jimiv
12-18-2013, 09:12 PM

I suspect the only thing he will tear apart this season is his hamstring.

KevBaller
12-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Why are people writing him off. He was an MVP two years ago, was on the worst team in the league last year and was Canada's best player in the two friendlies against Czech and Slovlakia.

TFC07
12-18-2013, 09:20 PM
DeRo isn't a starter for us! He's going to be a bench player and starting few games to give starters their rest. I predict DeRo will play multiple positions (LW, AM and ST) for us.

I suspect there's more help coming in midfield department (possibly even loans from overseas?).

namebutler
12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Good move on the marketing and playing front. Do anyone watch the TFC vs DC game Aug 24th? I watched it to see how good Silva was playing and DeRo was on fire.

http://youtu.be/ovEkbNsB2-s Highlights from the game.

He's still got something in the tank and do you think he'll let his teammates coast? Leadership/passion on the field is important.

SirBobSaget
12-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Fence sitters like me may return to BMO wih moves like this one.

Me too. They're hitting all the right chords this offseason. I have regretted all my pre-season ticket commitments so far and vowed last summer to not fall into the trap again. I'm considering another leap of faith ...

OgtheDim
12-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Why are people writing him off. ..

Watched him last season. Its obviously a difference of opinion between people like me and others. Happens...

Toronto Funk
12-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Like Rocky in his last movie, he's got something in the basement!

I see a different Dero coming back, one with the same passion, but one who passes more because he has real talent around him, and doesn't have to put the team on his back.

If you're not excited yet, wait till we're three games in with 9 points and a +5 goal difference!

billyfly
12-18-2013, 10:05 PM
I am Badge first, but I welcome DeRo back.

Should have never happened.

Lennon
12-18-2013, 10:18 PM
So happy right now :D
Does this mean that Roogsy is coming back too?

jabbronies
12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Lots of people think Dero should only be a bench player due to his performance last season.
His skilll should not be discredited. He's the type of player who may have been quiet one year, but then finds something that was lost the next year.

Depending on how things work out - I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him start at least 50% of games in all competitions.
When you have good players around you, you can sometimes even surprise yourself

KRO
12-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I hope this works out, I really do. I also hope that the first time he starts disrupting the locker room Caldwell pins him against the wall by his throat.

gate7
12-18-2013, 10:43 PM
GREAT!! now that we undid the biggest mistake ever..........we can finally move forward and forget the past!:drum:

Welcome to the new TFC DeRo!

inheavensince07
12-18-2013, 11:06 PM
I only like the move if TFC has the standard option to cut him at the halfway point, without the dollars hitting the cap in the second half. My problem is that I doubt Dero would agree to that.

[Please dispense with the ad-homs ~Shakes]

Yohan
12-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Welcome home DeRo. you have an ego, but you always played your heart out regardless of what jersey you wore. lead us to an MLS Cup, and all is forgiven...

ensco
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
with all due respect , are you on crack ?

Really, I'm not sensing respect here, actually.

Can't say I see much ability to argue a point either.

Bluenose13
12-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Love this move....Welcome Home Dero!

There was a boy from Scarborough & Dero was his name'o

fiji_blue
12-18-2013, 11:47 PM
I love love this move ! Deeeerooo theres only one Deerooo!

Yohan
12-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Love this move....Welcome Home Dero!

There was a boy from Scarborough & Dero was his name'o
De-Ro-sario! De-Ro-sario!
De-Ro-sario and DeRo was his name'o!

CP on DeRo

Kaz
12-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Did I misread this?? Quote from TL in CP article.

----

"I think (Bezbatchenko) and Dwayne and Dwayne’s agent did a very good job of trying to find a fair deal," he said. "And to Dwayne’s credit, he understands that if this is about winning, we had to have enough room left within our (salary) cap to add a couple more pieces here.
"And I believe they have found a deal that will do that … A lot of credit to Dwayne. He probably could get paid more elsewhere. But he chose to come to Toronto because he likes what we’re building here. And boy is that a change.
"For a guy that left because he didn’t like what we were doing, to come back because he likes what we’re doing, I think says an awful lot about Tim B and Nellie and the job they’ve done this off-season."

"While Toronto had yet to get his signature on a contract as of the re-entry draft announcement, Leiweke talked as if a deal was all but done." same article so yes you did.

jloome
12-19-2013, 01:37 AM
[edit out reference to deleted flame post - Oldtimer]

I"m not particularly opposed to signing him, but at 36 and with recent histories drastically lowering his output, it makes sense to have an option, which is exceedingly common in this league. Evidently, Ensco follows the league.

Cashcleaner
12-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Man, I don't even know where to start here. This news caught me totally off-guard at work to be honest. :D

First off, I think I agree with most others that this news really indicates just how much the front office has changed and evolved over the years, and that the current regime calling the shots has a new vision and strategy for this club. This deal would have never happened a year ago, but it's pretty obvious now that Bezbatchenko and Lieweke are more concerned about the future of this club than they are wringing their hands over what happened in the past. And DeRo himself must be in a conciliatory mood as well if he and the club could stamp out and sign a contract in a pretty short amount of time.

As for what he can bring to the team; well, you can't ever go wrong with an experienced Attacking Midfielder on your bench. As our DPs start to fall into place and the remaining core settles in, a guy like DeRo can make for a good substitute and just really improves the roster's overall depth. Of course, as with all things you have to look at what we're paying and what sort of return we're expecting, but if the reports are true that he's actually taken a bit of a pay cut to come back to Toronto, to me that's probably the biggest point to take from all this.

Lastly, well, I'm just really happy about all this. I was a big DeRo guy fan all the while he was with TFC and thought giving him up was the worst mistake this club ever made, regardless of the resentment between him and the club. And not only am I glad he's back, but I'm happy to see others are willing to give him another chance.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/sites/default/files/image_nodes/2011/04/DeRosario.jpg

Welcome home, brother. Welcome home.

tiberius
12-19-2013, 04:50 AM

There is smart, and then there is the right thing to do...

I understand your point Ensco, that from the "business deal" stand point, the Dero deal might not make a lot of sense, but you know what? Toronto FC has made upward of 100 really crappy business deals with players over the years - terrible contracts - club crippling, shitty deals - loosers from the get go. From the selection of the player, to the dollars paid, to the lengths of the contracts - crap, crap, crap. In the end, if this is another one of those deals, so be it. If Dero never plays another game - we have still done the right thing - we have brought him home. We have fixed a blot on the integrity of this club.

TimTim, Nellie + Dero have the opportunity to produce one hell of a Cinderella/Dero story this year that could go down into League and Toronto FC history - it probably won't happen, but they are taking a shot at it... good for them.

There may only be a slim chance that Dero even pulls his weight this year, but I am putting my money on him - sometimes you put your money down on some broken down nag because it feels right - he has come through before.

If we are lucky, Dero stays healthy and Nellie and him figure out how to make music together - I am looking forward to seeing how this works out!:)

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2013, 05:46 AM
I"m not particularly opposed to signing him, but at 36 and with recent histories drastically lowering his output, it makes sense to have an option, which is exceedingly common in this league. Evidently, Ensco follows the league.

I think in a contextual vacuum it makes complete sense to have an option, and even outside it, it would be smart dealing.

However, I also think the benefits of this deal extend outside of mere football output, for this team. As a result, if they don't have the option to cut him loose mid-season, I'm okay with that. I almost think healing those wounds is worth it. The previous DeRo era was a serious black eye for pretty much everyone involved.

Of course, we also haven't seen the actual terms of the contract yet. My opinion will also be contingent on exactly what number he is signed to, and for how long. People need to avoid deifying DeRo, and understand he's a 36 year old whose skills appear to be in pretty sharp decline now.

- Scott

DOMIN8R
12-19-2013, 06:10 AM
[Please dispense with the ad-homs ~Shakes]

Thanks for removing that stain from the thread, Shakes.

OgtheDim
12-19-2013, 07:21 AM

As for what he can bring to the team; well, you can't ever go wrong with an experienced Attacking Midfielder on your bench..

Do we need to provide you with a list? :)

There is optimism, and then there are many people who love this move throwing out hyperbolic " this is the best evah" or "that was the worst evah" type of stuff about DeRo. He's not being treated like a Messiah but....wowzers...the language on this has been torqued. IF DeRo does well, great. But, some of you all are setting yourself up for disappointment as it is unlikely to be a perfect time, if for no other reason that DeRo, like all players is not perfect.

The good thing is the woulda shoulda coulda of DeRo can now be gotten past. That was eating away at supporters and I'm glad its now gone. I get that this is a cathartic situation for many. But, the rose tinted glasses on this would fit better if the hyperbole was reduced.

Parkdale
12-19-2013, 07:24 AM
.... but you always played your heart out...

except for the games when he didn't. Im happy as hell that he's back, but let's not let nostaligia gloss over the fact that he walked though a few games towards the end of his time here.

We also need to remember that there were times when he played outright selfishly. We know why he was doing it, and its not like there were better options, but there's no place for selfish play on the current squad.

A happy Dero was a happy team - that's what we need.

Abou Sky
12-19-2013, 07:25 AM
If you're not excited yet, wait till we're three games in with 9 points and a +5 goal difference!

Slow down there champ ;-)

My $. 02

We may end up with 5 injuries after 3 games, IMO win or lose, this season is a 'win' for TFC before it starts.

We have a management who CAN win championships, it is only a matter of time before they do.

ensco
12-19-2013, 07:30 AM
I think in a contextual vacuum it makes complete sense to have an option, and even outside it, it would be smart dealing.

However, I also think the benefits of this deal extend outside of mere football output, for this team. As a result, if they don't have the option to cut him loose mid-season, I'm okay with that. I almost think healing those wounds is worth it. The previous DeRo era was a serious black eye for pretty much everyone involved.

Of course, we also haven't seen the actual terms of the contract yet. My opinion will also be contingent on exactly what number he is signed to, and for how long. People need to avoid deifying DeRo, and understand he's a 36 year old whose skills appear to be in pretty sharp decline now.

- Scott

I think Dero will take the position, in any negotiation, that he can still produce, and will want to be paid like a producer.

I am kind of assuming his number will be $200K or more. To the extent it's less, I agree with your point.

Fort York Redcoat
12-19-2013, 07:54 AM
I love what he's done for Canada and for 2 seasons here he was one of few bright spots for this club. I wish, in a way, he could come back to that same role and produce as he did. I'll be satisfied if he has a DCU year with his play time more limited and he can end his MLS journey where he should. Last stop Wall of Honour.

Laiping
12-19-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm happy with DeRo coming back! :canada:

tfcleeds
12-19-2013, 08:28 AM
There is smart, and then there is the right thing to do...

If Dero never plays another game - we have still done the right thing - we have brought him home. We have fixed a blot on the integrity of this club.

TimTim, Nellie + Dero have the opportunity to produce one hell of a Cinderella/Dero story this year that could go down into League and Toronto FC history - it probably won't happen, but they are taking a shot at it... good for them.

For myself, this is absolutely key. I'm generally not a big fan of signings that seem to be based more on sentimental reasons, but I don't think this is one of those (I genuinely believe DeRo still as something to offer), and I think this was absolutely needed to show that perhaps we have turned a corner, at least as far as the management of this club is concerned. DeRo belongs here, being a Canadian legend. And he can finally leave BMO the proper way and get the sendoff he does deserve whenever he decides to hang em up (or if the club decides to do that for him).

Chevy
12-19-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm totally not sold on this. Does anyone think DeRo will take a bench role, be a team guy and keep his trap shut? Best case scenario for me - DeRo is nailed to the bench because Gilberto and Defoe are lighting it up and we never need a second half offensive sub. Worst case? DeRo bags a goal in his first appearance or two and Gilberto and/or Defoe has a slow start. I can hear the chirping from here.

I get the mending fences component of this deal, but the risk here IMO is too great for an aging player with an attitude.

Toronto Funk
12-19-2013, 09:33 AM
:) Just a little giddy with all the signings and potential signings!
Still standing by that prediction. The future looks bright again!

Slow down there champ ;-)

My $. 02

We may end up with 5 injuries after 3 games, IMO win or lose, this season is a 'win' for TFC before it starts.

We have a management who CAN win championships, it is only a matter of time before they do.

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm totally not sold on this. Does anyone think DeRo will take a bench role, be a team guy and keep his trap shut? Best case scenario for me - DeRo is nailed to the bench because Gilberto and Defoe are lighting it up and we never need a second half offensive sub. Worst case? DeRo bags a goal in his first appearance or two and Gilberto and/or Defoe has a slow start. I can hear the chirping from here.

I get the mending fences component of this deal, but the risk here IMO is too great for an aging player with an attitude.

If you believed DeRo, his "attitude" last time was caused in part by feeling like he was lied to by management. As long as everything is 100% crystal clear this time, that shouldn't be an issue.

And if he bags in some goals while our shiny new DPs get off to a slower start, I don't really see how that's an issue. People can chirp all they want.

As long as he wasn't signed to some absurd amount of money, I'm a-okay with this move.

- Scott

Canary10
12-19-2013, 09:39 AM
If you believed DeRo, his "attitude" last time was caused in part by feeling like he was lied to by management. As long as everything is 100% crystal clear this time, that shouldn't be an issue.

And if he bags in some goals while our shiny new DPs get off to a slower start, I don't really see how that's an issue. People can chirp all they want.

As long as he wasn't signed to some absurd amount of money, I'm a-okay with this move.

- Scott

Except that his attitude has gone with him everywhere he's gone. At some point he shouldn't be saying, it's the Houston Dynamo management, it's the Canadian Men's National Team, it's Mo Johnston, it's Hans Backe, etc, etc, and look in the mirror. Sometimes when the common denominator to all the stupidity you see around you is you, you should pause for a minute.

That said, it'll all come down to how they use him. If he is a 70 minute sub when we need a goal I think it could work (although $200 plus or whatever the speculation is about his contract is a bit steep). With all the money we are spending on DPs, we need an unselfish player who brings others into the game. DeRo is not that player. Let's not try to use him that way.

ensco
12-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Anyone who thinks Dero is coming for sub $200K is dreaming, I fear.

My guess is it's closer to $250-300K, and that's why my view of this would be coloured by whether the team has an option to release him, so that the risk at signing is only $125-150K.

tfcmanu
12-19-2013, 10:06 AM
There was a boy from Scarborough and DeRo was his name-o!

prizby
12-19-2013, 10:08 AM

My guess is it's closer to $250-300K, and that's why my view of this would be coloured by whether the team has an option to release him, so that the risk at signing is only $125-150K.

I disagree...DeRo is coming off 600k+ and a cap hit of $368,750...notice how he was the only one who was picked that said "pending MLS approval"...that means the club didn't offer him whatever MLS considers a "bona-fide" offer, which i suspect is less than 50% (of which number, i don't know), but nevertheless, I don't think TFC pick him unless they have a mutual number (and role) worked out; I think 200k is closer to the number; my gut says $220k

Eastend
12-19-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm in the "wait and see" frame of mind on this move. Plenty of blame to go around the last time he was here but as others have said, it wasn't only here that there was an issue.

I'm sure he's got a bit to give still and hopefully his role, expectations, and cost are in line.

Dom

ManUtd4ever
12-19-2013, 10:38 AM

- Scott

This is my take as well. Besides, there's no chance that a player of DeRo's stature in MLS would agree to a contract with any club in the league that wasn't guaranteed for the entire term, let alone a contract offer from Toronto. He has earned his stripes in this league, and he deserves as much at the very least.

My guess is the contract will be 1-2 years at 150-200K per season with a club option for an additional year, as well as a provision that guarantees DeRo a job within the organization after he retires.

Kaz
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I disagree...DeRo is coming off 600k+ and a cap hit of $368,750...notice how he was the only one who was picked that said "pending MLS approval"...that means the club didn't offer him whatever MLS considers a "bona-fide" offer, which i suspect is less than 50% (of which number, i don't know), but nevertheless, I don't think TFC pick him unless they have a mutual number (and role) worked out; I think 200k is closer to the number; my gut says $220k

well I think part of it is that Dero was a DP last year, and we offered to take him not as a DP. So even if we offered $325,000 to him the league would still have to be consulted because of the removal of the DP status. no?

Chevy
12-19-2013, 10:50 AM
This is my take as well. Besides, there's no chance that a player of DeRo's stature in MLS would agree to a contract with any club in the league that wasn't guaranteed for the entire term, let alone a contract offer from Toronto. He has earned his stripes in this league, and he deserves as much at the very least.

My guess is the contract will be 1-2 years at 150-200K per season with a club option for an additional year, as well as a provision that guarantees DeRo a job within the organization after he retires.

Totally agree that he's earned his stripes and then some in this league. I think that $250k is simply Eckersleyish and can't see Bez or TL signing him for those dollars, even with a non-guaranteed contract.

Another comment/question - Is it possible to have a player contract that guarantees a non-playing job within the organization after retirement? One could argue that's a way of circumventing the cap (and also sounds like some of the no-show jobs that college football players get. And Jimmy Brennan).

MartinUtd
12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
I wonder if the reason why we didn't make a move for Attakora was that the FO didn't in any way want to replicate the clique from the previous era.

Either way, I was glad he was gone and am glad he's back. Funny how that works.

ensco
12-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Dero Comparables:

salaries from start of 2013, and their 2013 production.

Dero (35 years old) was on $645K guaranteed - 3 goals 2 assists - bust
Morales (33 years old) was on $300K guaranteed - 8 goals 10 assists - yahtzee!
Arnaud (33 years old) was on $290K guaranteed - 1 goal and 5 assists - bust
Buddle (32 years old) was on $275K guaranteed - he scored 5 goals, was kind of a bust.
Hassli (32 years old) was on $262K guaranteed - he scored 4 goals - bust.
Cummings (31 years old) was on $239K guaranteed - he scored 1 goal - bust
Le Toux (29 years old, he's a bit young to be a true comparable, but I put him in anyway) - $212K guaranteed - 3 goals - bust
Casey - (32 years old) on $175K guaranteed - 10 goals - yahtzee!

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2013, 10:58 AM

If it's between $200k-250k, I might be able to grin and bear it simply because of the non-football benefits. Over $250k? Egh. It better not be guaranteed.

Around $200k is the sweet spot for me. Let him retire a Red, with good feels all around. Put that miserable chapter (arguably the team's nadir) behind us, and move on.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
12-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Totally agree that he's earned his stripes and then some in this league. I think that $250k is simply Eckersleyish and can't see Bez or TL signing him for those dollars, even with a non-guaranteed contract.

Another comment/question - Is it possible to have a player contract that guarantees a non-playing job within the organization after retirement? One could argue that's a way of circumventing the cap (and also sounds like some of the no-show jobs that college football players get. And Jimmy Brennan).

I guess it could be construed as a form of cap circumvention if it helps a team negotiate a lower salary with a player over the term of the contract, but nonetheless, it does not conflict with the guidelines of the current MLS collective bargaining agreement. I don't think the league will ever be able to prevent a club from offering a player employment options after retirement.

Super
12-19-2013, 11:02 AM
If it's between $200k-250k, I might be able to grin and bear it simply because of the non-football benefits. Over $250k? Egh. It better not be guaranteed.

Around $200k is the sweet spot for me. Let him retire a Red, with good feels all around. Put that miserable chapter (arguably the team's nadir) behind us, and move on.

- Scott

I agree completely. It's not just about the football with DeRo. Like you said, it's about the good feels for everyone. That may seem silly to some, but this team, and the fans, DO need some of that too. Also, I don't think he'll be a bust here. DeRo is the type of player who needs to be inspired to play at his best. He was a beast while with us. He plays with his heart.

Yohan
12-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Dero Comparables:

Buddle (32 years old) was on $275K guaranteed - he scored 5 goals, was kind of a bust.
Le Toux (29 years old, he's a bit young to be a true comparable, but I put him in anyway) - $212K guaranteed - 3 goals - bust
Le Toux had 12 assists... For a striker, he plays more of a withdrawn playmaking role. Also saw a lot of time on LM IIRC.

ManUtd4ever
12-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Dero Comparables:

Let's be fair to him. Last year he was coming off a serious knee injury, which typically requires at least a year in order for the player to regain proper form. I guarantee you that no one in DC would consider him a bust based on his overall body of work in 3 years with that organization.

In 2012, he scored 7 goals and 12 assists an 26 games. In 2011, he scored 16 goals and 12 assists in 33 games.

If you look at the more appropriate sample size of his entire career, it's reasonable to conclude that his sudden decline in production last year was primarily the result of the lingering affects from the first serious injury he has ever had to deal with.

DeRo has been training vigorously off the pitch this off season. If he is healthy to start the season as anticipated, I think he can still be an impact player off the bench for our club.

Suds
12-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Love the fact he's back. I think he can still help this team win games and get goals; and in the end that is all that matters.

All the other stuff about having the local guy get that chance to do well in his home town is just potential icing on the cake.

Canary10
12-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Let's be fair to him. Last year he was coming off a serious knee injury, which typically requires at least a year in order for the player to regain proper form. I guarantee you that no one in DC would consider him a bust based on his overall body of work in 3 years with that organization.

In 2012, he scored 7 goals and 12 assists an 26 games. In 2011, he scored 16 goals and 12 assists in 33 games.

If you look at the more appropriate sample size of his entire career, it's reasonable to conclude that his sudden decline in production last year was primarily the result of the lingering affects from the first serious injury he has ever had to deal with.

DeRo has been training vigorously off the pitch this off season. If he is healthy to start the season as anticipated, I think he can still be an impact player off the bench for our club.

No matter what you do off the pitch, you lose a step at 34-35. Combine that with an injury and you have the reason his production declined.

I do though think he can still do a job. If he's mostly subbing later in games I think he'll score a few goals. I'd also consider putting him on the wing for some starts, but Morrow or whoever sits behind him better be well prepared to have no cover. And the central mid should play as two holding mids.

prizby
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/eric-hassli

0 goals actually

ensco
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Le Toux had 12 assists... For a striker, he plays more of a withdrawn playmaking role. Also saw a lot of time on LM IIRC.

Then not a bust. I should take him off the list, a 29 year old just isn't relevant, Dero was 29 in 2007.

ensco
12-19-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/eric-hassli

0 goals actually

Right!

In that case, megabust.

flatpicker
12-19-2013, 11:39 AM
No matter what you do off the pitch, you lose a step at 34-35.

I dunno. I'm well into my 30's and I haven't lost a step. I can still eat and drink as well as I ever have.

burlington Red
12-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Therein potentially lies the problem, at his age, he will be 36 next season, these injuries become much more common and are a lot harder to shake off.

ProfessorDamage
12-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome back! Here is hoping he finds his old form.

Word.

Yohan
12-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I can't wait until player's union release salary figures and the board goes apeshit over DeRo's wages

MartinUtd
12-19-2013, 11:54 AM
The key is squad rotation.

The question should be, how many minutes will DeRo see? I can see him starting in cases of injury to either striker or Osorio/Jackson/Rey and otherwise being a half hour sub in league matches, then playing all the cup games. I wouldn't be surprised of he's well under 2000 minutes... which is still a fair shake, but not the constant grind of being an out and out starter.

Canary10
12-19-2013, 11:57 AM
I dunno. I'm well into my 30's and I haven't lost a step. I can still eat and drink as well as I ever have.

Well I just turned 40 and I can't drink two consecutive nights anymore. Very sad.

ProfessorDamage
12-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I suspect the only thing he will tear apart this season is his hamstring.

Bazinga. Well played, sir.

Jimmy The Saint
12-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Not only is DeRo back, but that means I'ma start posting on this message board again... :pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

Technorgasm
12-19-2013, 12:16 PM
He probably could get paid more elsewhere. But he chose to come to Toronto because he likes what we're building here. And boy is that a change

It may not be true that Dero likes what were building, or that he can get more $$.
Fact is, He is toronto's own, and nowhere in teh leagyue will he be as warmly welcomed and cheered as here.
LOVE that he is back!

#DERFOE2014TTLA

Oblio2
12-19-2013, 12:25 PM
He wants to come back because he lots of Business interests here. Its his home, he's adored here...new management and new staff. Its a win. He wont be the main man but he will look after the kids and set up our strikers....How this si looked upon as bad I dont kow. welcome home....

trane
12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
FUCK DE RO AN HIS CHECK SIGNING ANTICS. FUCK HIM AND THE HORSE HE RODE TO TOWN.

Actually, I was never one that was calling for De Ro to leave town, although I understood that we need to make changes. He was the best offensive player we have ever had, something of a AM/SS/CF mix, but he scored goals, and created for himself. I am not sure what to expect, he is slower and weaker then he was, so I am not sure how effective he will be, but still think that he has the nose for the goal, that is not common in the MLS, so it is good to have him back. I wonder how he will be used.

jvanpeebles
12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
If Dero had gone to another Canadian team it would have simply been wrong. This city has always loved him and the way he left was a complete shame. This team has very few players that will long term be the face of TFC as the Leafs and Jays have. Dero can be and I believe will be that for this team. This is an excellent pick up for the team with short term goals in mind. I am realistic enough to know that Dero will not be playing for many more years but he will be kept on in some shape or form with the team when he retires. I welcome him back and will break out all the Dero jerseys and shirts I disgustingly put away when he was traded for a bag of balls a few years ago. Thanks TFC for doing what I believe is the right thing.

WestStandGeoff
12-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Well I just turned 40 and I can't drink two consecutive nights anymore. Very sad.

Maybe you're just not trying hard enough. Some practice will help improve your form.

Canary10
12-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe you're just not trying hard enough. Some practice will help improve your form.

Even with proper warm up I still get overuse injuries.

andyc
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
To me this is righting a wrong from our clubs history and helps build back trust.

Best case Dero contributes on the field and everyone loves him. Worst case we have paid Dero $200k or so that we probably owed him from broken promises... I understand that football is a business but I want to support and love a team that I can respect. There are many more strong characters in the dressing room that will manage the atmosphere and hopefully a happy Dero will contribute in a positive manner.

ensco
12-19-2013, 01:50 PM
I can't wait until player's union release salary figures and the board goes apeshit over DeRo's wages

That feels like a dead cinch certainty to me.

Oh well, who cares I guess. We've seen worse.

jloome
12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
That feels like a dead cinch certainty to me.

Oh well, who cares I guess. We've seen worse.

We have a crapload of allocation cash, apparently, so they'll probably just buy it down on a year-to-year basis and record it as a sub 200K cap hit for the actual salary. Something like 175K salary (cap hit), 220K guaranteed and some off books as allocation.

Yohan
12-19-2013, 02:16 PM
We have a crapload of allocation cash, apparently, so they'll probably just buy it down on a year-to-year basis and record it as a sub 200K cap hit for the actual salary. Something like 175K salary (cap hit), 220K guaranteed and some off books as allocation.
buying down salary with allocation money is stupid move, unless you're a team that's going for one more push for MLS cup. allocation money don't grow on trees.

brad
12-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Article on CSN mentioned his salary is rumored to be around 150k.

Oldtimer
12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Article on CSN mentioned his salary is rumored to be around 150k.

Totally unreliable source, but let's assume that it's true, for now.
No need to buy down, he'll fit easily in the cap.
He knows he'll be a sub, not the star.

jabbronies
12-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Totally unreliable source, but let's assume that it's true, for now.
No need to buy down, he'll fit easily in the cap.
He knows he'll be a sub, not the star.

I think you mean Not a starter.
He could very well end up being a star, and then eventually a starter.

Sweeper
12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
At the very least he won't be scoring goals against us. He played against us like it was the world cup final.

Pookie
12-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Dero feeding the ball to Gilberto/Defoe is awesomely awesome.

Defoe plays down low...needs fed low...Dero playing high behind front 2 in midfield will do this. NOW, Defoe (if he signs) will tear this league apart and Dero will get a ton of assists.

.... assuming 2 of the 3 don't tear their aging ACL's apart.

Hoping this doesn't end up like when Doug Gilmour returned to the Leafs and hurt himself on his first shift. Then there was Wendel's return which revealed he wasn't the player he used to be as a result on age.

In the end though, the team is doing all that it can given its current state of infrastructure. It has to exploit its pocketbook for an immediate stop gap and then find diamonds in the rough of MLS' signed pool of players. They appear to be doing all they can over the short term.

Gilberto is the player that really interests me as he likely has a shelf life longer than a season or two.

brad
12-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Is DeRo the first TFC player to come back after leaving? I'm thinking so.

tfcmanu
12-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I hear you....

Red I
12-19-2013, 04:51 PM
.... assuming 2 of the 3 don't tear their aging ACL's apart.

Look who you're talking about, though...

Dero is a health NUT; i heard he's a vegan, and does protien shakes and the whole 9 yards

Defoe is lauded for being exceptionally fit and does not drink or smoke - which seems to be a rarity in UK football, because it's all anyone ever says about him over there -

I think if you were to take on a 30+ player, these are the types you do it with - just be sure to have depth so you can give them the occasional day-off and you're fine

Oldtimer
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Dero is a health NUT; i heard he's a vegan, and does protien shakes and the whole 9 yards

True, both he and his brother are vegan, although on doctor's orders he has occasionally supplemented with a little fish.

TFCRegina
12-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Glad to see he's coming back.

Pookie
12-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Defoe is lauded for being exceptionally fit and does not drink or smoke - which seems to be a rarity in UK football, because it's all anyone ever says about him over there -

I think if you were to take on a 30+ player, these are the types you do it with - just be sure to have depth so you can give them the occasional day-off and you're fine

Agreed on the depth part. He missed games due to injury last year, despite his "nut status" :)

This is going to sound like an over the top statement but I'll say it anyway.

DeRo to TFC is like Lampard is to Chelsea.

A key player that can be used for 60-70 mins as a starter or as a 20 minute sub. Glory days are likely behind him but capable of making a difference at a key moment in a game. Definitely not the future but can have immediate impact provided the fans don't have overly high expectations.

That said, if a young player emerges that surpasses him on the skill chart, I really hope that we don't default to DeRo for nostalgia.. or ticket selling purposes.

Richard
12-19-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't know man, the first game he plays is going to be rough emotionally. Glad he is here.

Fishnicker
12-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Most professional athletes eat and train well these days. However no diet will stop the degenerative joint problems due to the cumulative effects of training and playing at a high level for 20 years. His tendons and ligaments will be more brittle and loose, osteoarthritis in the hip and knee joint is well underway, recovery will take longer, soft tissue injuries will be more frequent and last longer and it goes on. Nothing - not diet, hyperbaric chamber, deer antler spray or training regimen can roll back the odometer.

As an aside - I find the best masters (40+) athletes tend to take their 20's and 30's off - less mileage.

Prof
12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
The only TFC player to score more than 10 goals in the regular season. 11 and 15. Welcome back.

khso11
12-19-2013, 09:06 PM
The only TFC player to score more than 10 goals in the regular season. 11 and 15. Welcome back.

Koevermans 2012, just saying.... :)

pdubs
12-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Koevermans 2012, just saying.... :)
he had 9 didn't he?

khso11
12-20-2013, 03:56 AM
he had 9 didn't he?

opps, yup i was wrong, i got mixed up with "GS" game started with "G" goals :facepalm:. So yes Koef had 9 and Dero is in fact the only player that scored 10+ goals for Toronto

Canary10
12-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I find it funny that people equate being a vegetarian with health nut/being in good shape. The fact that he puts a lot of time into working out, staying in shape is what makes him a health nut, not being a vegetarian.

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 09:31 AM
If you haven't seen this...wortha watch.

wK5HYjrANTc

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 09:32 AM
from 2012 season....

OgtheDim
12-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Rose tinted glasses.

Lets see him prove some of us wrong. Would love it. Until then, enjoy the hyperbole based on nostalgia and wishful thinking.

MKR
12-20-2013, 09:52 AM
i love some of the negativity about this pickup. Let's remember what kind of a team this was last season. We were garbage. Complete and utter shite. It's not like bringing in Dero is done at the expense of an established producer. This team needs to get better all across the board. Osorio is still going to be the mainstay same with Laba, but now you have a proven and effective player in Dero who is here to help out. He won't be worked into the ground like Frings was.. he'll be played in the right opportunities - whether it means as a sub or as a spot starter. This move is a low risk high reward move on the pitch alone. Off the pitch it's an even better move what with the emotional exorcism it brings, but still on the pitch it makes a lot of sense too.

Oldtimer
12-20-2013, 09:58 AM
I find it funny that people equate being a vegetarian with health nut/being in good shape. The fact that he puts a lot of time into working out, staying in shape is what makes him a health nut, not being a vegetarian.

...and for what it's worth, your average non-cream donut is vegan. So are chips and beer. g:D

However, in my experience, most serious adult vegetarians are very health conscious.

OgtheDim
12-20-2013, 09:58 AM
i love some of the negativity about this pickup. Let's remember what kind of a team this was last season. We were garbage. Complete and utter shite. It's not like bringing in Dero is done at the expense of an established producer. This team needs to get better all across the board. Osorio is still going to be the mainstay same with Laba, but now you have a proven and effective player in Dero who is here to help out. He won't be worked into the ground like Frings was.. he'll be played in the right opportunities - whether it means as a sub or as a spot starter. This move is a low risk high reward move on the pitch alone. Off the pitch it's an even better move what with the emotional exorcism it brings, but still on the pitch it makes a lot of sense too.

Again....its $200K+ that could be spent in many different ways. That's a bit of risk.

I hope it works. Having seen him last season, I have my doubts he's worth that much.

It better not be guaranteed.

burlington Red
12-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Diet does play a part to an extent, but Colin Samuel was a health food nut also and didn't do him any good. I saw him in The Brazen Head one night eating a veggie burger with side salad.

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Diet does play a part to an extent, but Colin Samuel was a health food nut also and didn't do him any good. I saw him in The Brazen Head one night eating a veggie burger with side salad.

Veggie burger with 100% mayo, topped with onion rings.....side salad with a nice creamy think ranch dressing. ;)

ag futbol
12-20-2013, 10:34 AM
The point is really that in comparison to his peers this guys is noted for keeping himself in excellent shape. So we're not just taking about an athlete in general here, it's an athlete that goes beyond what most athlete do to prepare and stay healthy.

The vegetables are just a distraction.

Chevy
12-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Totally agree on all the above points, except the low risk part. The worry from the negative camp (including myself) is that his attitude will take away from what seems to be a cohesive club moving in the right direction. Hell, have we ever had even a 50% complete roster before March? Forgetting the shenanigans with TFC management for a moment, DeRo has proven a few times to be temperamental when he was the star, and also when he's one of the top wage earners. Will he fit in and play nice now that he's neither?

That's my concern.

Shakes McQueen
12-20-2013, 10:39 AM

How "low risk" it is, lies entirely in the terms of the contract, which we don't know yet. If he ends up making $300k a year guaranteed or something, that is not low risk.

- Scott

Kaz
12-20-2013, 10:42 AM
It's occurs to me that Dero's goal scoring effectiveness will be connected to the number of free kicks he gets.. as I recall nearly half his goals for us were from free kicks and PKs.
On the pitch he will likely help spread the defence out a fair bit. Over all he will likely not have a load of assists (he is still DeRo), or goals (I'd be surprised if he gets 3 game goals) but I'm willing to bet more goals happen while he is on the pitch. If that happens even if his Goals are 0 and assists are 0, if his presence makes it easier to score goals it's worth it. And most important if he rubs off on Osorio and Laba it is worth it.

Oldtimer
12-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Veggie burger with 100% mayo, topped with onion rings.....side salad with a nice creamy think ranch dressing. ;)

bwahaha.

Pie is also vegetarian, unless you use lard in the crust.:)

brad
12-20-2013, 10:43 AM

In a tightly capped league, everything is done at the expense of something else. That said, none of us have any clue what is actually going on from a salary perspective due to the mystery world of allocations.

Most seem to be assuming that DeRo will flop as well and be a waste of money. It might go exactly the other way - he might be a sizable contributor. In truth, I suspect he will fall somewhere in between.

A key thing to watch this year is going to be if DeRo adjusts his game like most players around that age need to do.

brad
12-20-2013, 10:49 AM
...and for what it's worth, your average non-cream donut is vegan. So are chips and beer. g:D

However, in my experience, most serious adult vegetarians are very health conscious.

Keep in mind though that optimizing your diet for health is not the same as optimizing your diet for athletic performance. As a vegetarian, he is actually at a disadvantage (animal protein plays a pretty large role in recovery from athletic exertion). Of course you can work around that (as DeRo does), but it is not going to be as efficient.

Here is a classic example often cited of what I am talking about with regards to health vs athletic performance. This is the sort of diet that Michael Phelps eats
http://www.repubblica.it/2008/08/olimpiadi/gallerie/varie-varie/dieta-phelps2/esterne151119111508111947_big.jpg

MKR
12-20-2013, 10:51 AM
How do we know it's $200K? Do we even know anything about the deal?

I recall Bez being a cap specialist with the league or something. Hopefully that would mean we didn't take taken to the cleaners by Dero and his agent.

Canary10
12-20-2013, 10:54 AM
The point is really that in comparison to his peers this guys is noted for keeping himself in excellent shape. So we're not just taking about an athlete in general here, it's an athlete that goes beyond what most athlete do to prepare and stay healthy.

The vegetables are just a distraction.

Yes, that's exactly my point.

ManUtd4ever
12-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Rose tinted glasses.

Lets see him prove some of us wrong. Would love it. Until then, enjoy the hyperbole based on nostalgia and wishful thinking.

If there's one thing DeRo has proven consistently throughout his career, it's that he excels when he has something to prove.

It's not hyperbole to think that he can still be an impact player on our club in a complimentary role.

Canary10
12-20-2013, 10:57 AM
I really don't like DeRo. But I have a feeling this works out. DeRo is one of those guys who is motivated by people saying he can't do something. Well, he had a shit year, and everyone says he's done. He'll want to show them. I suggest, for pure motivational support purposes, a small group of people like me who don't really like him should hound him every game. Tell him he's shit, he's lost it, he can't do it. And watch him show us.

ed: Ha, ManUtd4ever! Same wavelength.

OgtheDim
12-20-2013, 11:17 AM
How do we know it's $200K? Do we even know anything about the deal?

$200K wouldn't be taken to the cleaners.

burlington Red
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM
In a tightly capped league, everything is done at the expense of something else. That said, none of us have any clue what is actually going on from a salary perspective due to the mystery world of allocations.

Most seem to be assuming that DeRo will flop as well and be a waste of money. It might go exactly the other way - he might be a sizable contributor. In truth, I suspect he will fall somewhere in between.

A key thing to watch this year is going to be if DeRo adjusts his game like most players around that age need to do.

Excellent point, just look at Giggsy at Utd. He first burst onto the scene as a flying winger , now in recent yrs he has had to evolve his game. He doesn't have the pace he once has, now uses his experience to play when needed as a central midfielder pulling the strings with his passing.

Auzzy
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Is DeRo the first TFC player to come back after leaving? I'm thinking so.

Nah he's the 2nd player. The first one went to Celtic & came back.

:leaving:

Shakes McQueen
12-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Nah he's he 2nd player. The first one went to Celtic & came back.

:leaving:

Haha, I doff my cap to you. That was good.

- Scott

Chevy
12-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I really don't like DeRo. But I have a feeling this works out. DeRo is one of those guys who is motivated by people saying he can't do something. Well, he had a shit year, and everyone says he's done. He'll want to show them. I suggest, for pure motivational support purposes, a small group of people like me who don't really like him should hound him every game. Tell him he's shit, he's lost it, he can't do it. And watch him show us.

Canary, I shall PM you my resume!

ManUtd4ever
12-20-2013, 11:44 AM

LOL, that's the spirit. :D

Yohan
12-20-2013, 12:10 PM
$200K wouldn't be taken to the cleaners.
the fact that DeRo hasn't officially signed with TFC yet suggests there is some hardball being played between Tim B and DeRo's agent

Ossington Mental Youth
12-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Keep in mind though that optimizing your diet for health is not the same as optimizing your diet for athletic performance. As a vegetarian, he is actually at a disadvantage (animal protein plays a pretty large role in recovery from athletic exertion). Of course you can work around that (as DeRo does), but it is not going to be as efficient.

Here is a classic example often cited of what I am talking about with regards to health vs athletic performance. This is the sort of diet that Michael Phelps eats
http://www.repubblica.it/2008/08/olimpiadi/gallerie/varie-varie/dieta-phelps2/esterne151119111508111947_big.jpg

lets not forget he was genetically engineered

Villa TFC
12-20-2013, 12:22 PM
My fear with a possible Dero return is Tim L's reason for bringing him back. Unquestionably a talented player throughout his career, this past season he was a mere shadow of the player he used to be and one year on, he could be even less effective in 2014. He's not going to come cheaply even if we get a rate lower than any other MLS team would get (according to Tim L) and we run the risk of a disenchanted Dero - playing fourth fiddle to Laba, Gilberto, Defoe etc - disrupting the team chemistry as he has done here and elsewhere before...especially younger, impressionable players like Osorio, Bekker, Welshman, Henry, Morgan etc. So, is Tim L looking at bringing him back in the hope that he's still an effective player who can make a contribution to the TFC, or.....is it part of Tim L's efforts to show who's boss and to prove that TFC has moved on and the new broom has swept clean? I view Rongen's departure similarly suspiciously: Rongen seemed to be doing a great job and it didn't seem necessary to replace him. Is Vanney that much better than Rongen, or is Tim L just stamping his mark on the club and showing that it's all about him?

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 12:33 PM
the fact that DeRo hasn't officially signed with TFC yet suggests there is some hardball being played between Tim B and DeRo's agent

or can just be simply because he is out of country......who knows the real reason.

Ultra & Proud
12-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Or it could be that DeRo is on vacation and they can wait until he is back to get him to finalize the deal that everyone says was done already. Perhaps at that time a DP would be here as well and then TFC could present him/them to the media at that time.

brad
12-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Excellent point, just look at Giggsy at Utd. He first burst onto the scene as a flying winger , now in recent yrs he has had to evolve his game. He doesn't have the pace he once has, now uses his experience to play when needed as a central midfielder pulling the strings with his passing.

Scholes and Pirlos are two other great examples of players that adjusted their game as they got older to great effect.

Pigfynn
12-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Or it could be that DeRo is on vacation and they can wait until he is back to get him to finalize the deal that everyone says was done already. Perhaps at that time a DP would be here as well and then TFC could present him/them to the media at that time.

He is.

Larsun told me. That's why no Dero quotes about all this.

Yohan
12-20-2013, 12:50 PM
maybe. if TFC wanted DeRo's signature, they would have made it happen already.

FreekAce
12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Scholes and Pirlos are two other great examples of players that adjusted their game as they got older to great effect.

clarence seedorf is another good example. still a monster at 37.

Ultra & Proud
12-20-2013, 01:18 PM
maybe. if TFC wanted DeRo's signature, they would have made it happen already.

I saw pics on Twitter of DeRo vacationing when the draft was happening. You don't sign him before you draft him because theoretically one of the other two shit teams could have selected him. They apparently had a verbal deal in place and that would be done after his vacation. Also, you do realize this is December and X-Mas right? The pre-season is a couple months away. Do they need to rush and get everything signing right away to satisfy some folks on these boards? Would it be so wrong to you know, show some patience and let the player enjoy his holidays without having to fly back here, talk to lawyers, or sit on getting faxes sent to the islands to get the deal signed 2+ months before pre-season? As far as I could tell I thought we were done with our old bush league styles.

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 01:39 PM
His vacation schedule is as follows...from his FB page.

Where's De Ro? As my off season journey begins again I just might be near your Town! I'm currently in #Houston (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/houston) til sat Dec 14 for Ching's Testimonial match, then Off to #Tobago (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/tobago) Dec 14-21 for my #DeRoUnited (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/derounited) Futbol Clinic with #BagoSports (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/bagosports), Dec. 14-24#Guyana (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/guyana) as guest to #Kashif (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/kashif)&Shangai Tournament & host my#DeRoFutbolClinic (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/derofutbolclinic) in #Linden (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/linden), Dec. 26-Jan. 3 #Hawaii (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/hawaii) as Guest at#ProXtremeSoccerCamp (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/proxtremesoccercamp) The Journey Begins!

I expect that possibly early January they will have a presser to announce everything....

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 01:39 PM
let the man do what he is doing Yohan....;)

Parkdale
12-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Not only is DeRo back, but that means I'ma start posting on this message board again... :pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

oh noes.... not you again

(hey, we should get the fams together over the holidays some time)

ensco
12-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Seedorf, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Giggs, De Vaio ... talking about them is not very illuminating, these guys are seriously unusual.

Most forwards are done by their early 30s - look at the year that Buddle, Hassli, Ching, others just had. Same for every older forward we have had here (Dichio, Koevs, Robert), ex Dero 1.0, of course (15 goals as a 32 year old).

Yohan
12-20-2013, 01:46 PM
I saw pics on Twitter of DeRo vacationing when the draft was happening. You don't sign him before you draft him because theoretically one of the other two shit teams could have selected him. They apparently had a verbal deal in place and that would be done after his vacation. Also, you do realize this is December and X-Mas right? The pre-season is a couple months away. Do they need to rush and get everything signing right away to satisfy some folks on these boards? Would it be so wrong to you know, show some patience and let the player enjoy his holidays without having to fly back here, talk to lawyers, or sit on getting faxes sent to the islands to get the deal signed 2+ months before pre-season? As far as I could tell I thought we were done with our old bush league styles.
part of it was knee jerk reaction on my part, because everything that could have gone wrong, can go wrong for TFC...
but yeah. I won't begrudge a man for spending time with his family
and I suspect TFC wants to make a media circus out of DeRo too

flamehawk
12-20-2013, 01:51 PM
disrupting the team chemistry as he has done here and elsewhere before...especially younger, impressionable players like Osorio, Bekker, Welshman, Henry, Morgan etc.

I know it's not much of a sample size, but it seems like based on recent interview with Nicholas Lindsay, he's cited as a nurturing senior figure who "welcomed him with open arms". Ultimately, Dero is someone to look up to for young Canadian players, and Dero himself seems to be interested in youth development (whether primarily for monetary purposes or not with his youth training camps he's hosting now) .. it might be the opposite - I certainly hope so.

burlington Red
12-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Seedorf, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Giggs, De Vaio ... talking about them is not very illuminating, these guys are seriously unusual.

Most forwards are done by their early 30s - look at the year that Buddle, Hassli, Ching, others just had. Same for every older forward we have had here (Dichio, Koevs, Robert), ex Dero 1.0, of course (15 goals as a 32 year old).

The examples you give are not vegeterians though, do not underestimate the power of the tofu.

OgtheDim
12-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Monster at getting thrown out of matches for Barnet.......

Yohan
12-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Monster at getting thrown out of matches for Barnet.......I think you're thinking Edgar Davids?

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 02:44 PM
In honour of bringing back DeRo to TFC and him being guyanese... only fitting we get a guyanese artist's song. I thought we should all learn this new song to chant, but only for night games because the song is "Evening in Toronto".

SOrSZ6CszPI#t

Just to brighten your friday ENJOY :)

OgtheDim
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
:facepalm::blush::hide::drinking:

ensco
12-20-2013, 02:58 PM
The signing calendar has zip to do with vacations or holidays per se, and everything to do with SSH campaigns.

There was a big campaign last week (for lapsed subscribers), so Gilberto got announced, and every journo in town got an "imminent Defoe to TFC" scoop.

The biggie, for existing SSHs, will be in January. They'll probably float a Ronaldo rumour in the middle of that - Leiweke loves that game, "he's the type of player we want here someday" .....

Canary10
12-20-2013, 03:03 PM
^ And you think headlines such as "the prodigal son returns" helps with lapsed subscribers?

Pookie
12-20-2013, 03:11 PM
^ kinda feel like those that are out, are likely out regardless of the headlines. Whether its distrust over 7-8 years, poor stadium location mixed with nightmare construction, tired of coaching/manager changes, whatever, those lapsed subscribers aren't coming back.

A headline like "Dafoe to TFC" might get some new ones at lower price points but the older ones are probably wearing the once (or twice or thrice or...) bitten, twice shy t-shirt.

Interesting question would be what headline would be necessary to see first timers jump in at the expensive seat level?

Canary10
12-20-2013, 03:15 PM
^ kinda feel like those that are out, are likely out regardless of the headlines. Whether its distrust over 7-8 years, poor stadium location mixed with nightmare construction, tired of coaching/manager changes, whatever, those lapsed subscribers aren't coming back.

A headline like "Dafoe to TFC" might get some new ones at lower price points but the older ones are probably wearing the once (or twice or thrice or...) bitten, twice shy t-shirt.

Interesting question would be what headline would be necessary to see first timers jump in at the expensive seat level?

I had a couple of friends ask me last week about whether I got seasons again. They've never asked that question before. The press TFC got last week certainly is making some inroads, but those are people who have never had season tickets before. And I'm not sure they are at the point of considering them themselves. Defoe might just be enough to push them over though.

Yeah, if dark greys are the main SS left, It'll be hard to get new people in at those prices. They are the worst value in the stadium as far as I'm concerned. I downgraded from those this year.

ensco
12-20-2013, 03:18 PM
^ And you think headlines such as "the prodigal son returns" helps with lapsed subscribers?

The campaign ended Tuesday, i.e. before Dero was selected. So it was irrelevant in this case. But to answer your implied question....

It's no accident that Leiweke moved the main SSH campaign to the January transfer window. News should come out when it's most useful. The previous regime were inept at this. To the extent the club controls it, signings should be timed to SSH campaigns.

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 03:19 PM
:facepalm::blush::hide::drinking:

my thoughts exactly.......

tiberius
12-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Totally agree on all the above points, except the low risk part. The worry from the negative camp (including myself) is that his attitude will take away from what seems to be a cohesive club moving in the right direction. Hell, have we ever had even a 50% complete roster before March? Forgetting the shenanigans with TFC management for a moment, DeRo has proven a few times to be temperamental when he was the star, and also when he's one of the top wage earners. Will he fit in and play nice now that he's neither?

That's my concern.

Bah - humbug!

Concern??? Worry? OMG - how about worrying about us having an 8th effing horrible season. Trying to hang club cohesiveness on Dero is just not on. If Dero doesn't fit in, he will be sidelined - simple as that. That guy has more experience and has delivered more than almost any other player I know in the MLS - just ease off on the FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt). There is risk with all of TimTim's acquisitions - Dero may work out (and I really hope he does), and if he doesn't, no biggie. If you want to hang stuff around player's necks, choose Defoe + Gilberto - if they screw up - now we have a problem! Even if TimTim pays 100K too much for Dero the sky is not gonna fall on the team. I think you should worry more about Nellie showing up on the sidelines in short pants - now that is something to worry about...

Please worry more about why Lamb chop and weedman are still on our roster. I have yet to see lambchop make a successful cross... have you? Frigg, for a guy with the minutes he gets, doesn't that concern you??? At least I know Dero can play heads up and carry, pass and kick the effing ball... Did I mention he is a clutch player? Ever been to Montreal? Momma Mia!

OgtheDim
12-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Personally, I think the Weedman deserves a back up spot and expect him to still be around as the #4 forward behind Dike, Gilberto and DP#2. He's cheap and gets into position to score.

DeRo is likely to be a back up AM - paying $200K for a backup AM in a cap league is far more of a risk worth discussing then Weidman.

Lambe...I still don't get why he is around.

But we have a thread for that sort of stuff.

tiberius
12-20-2013, 08:50 PM

You are right - TimTim and Dero probably have inserted some creative stuff into the contract to lower that cap hit, and that now needs to be approved by the league. ala the Beckham deal, they are probably angling for exclusive rights for Dero to place an MLS team in Timmins or Sudbury - something like that...:)

ag futbol
12-20-2013, 08:56 PM
lets not forget he was genetically engineered
And what a proper diet is varries by sport. You would not ask a soccer player to carb-load the way a swimmer does. Their metabolisms run so high it is extremely hard for them to consume enough food needed for performance.

tiberius
12-20-2013, 09:32 PM
We seem to be nuancing and mincing over 50K of cap space on a guy who has delivered over and over and over - to our very team! He has drive, determination and skill. Did I mention he scores god damn goals too?? We risk that age may have caught up with him, I get that, but he is not getting paid 1.4 mil for each of three years.

We are probably talking 200-250K. It is the classic match-up: old age vs. a proven excellent track record - a value proposition. This proposition happens all the time - there are a ton of other players on this team that don't have even the possibility of delivering what Dero might deliver this year. This deal is probably pretty harmless, with some potential upsides. If we find out he is making 300K, then there will probably be some opportunity cost, (and ensco can say I told ya so...:)) - but even then, only if he doesn't deliver...

Laba could stub his toe tomorrow and be out for the season - there's 200+K down the tubes (like as if that is gonna happen...). Convey was making 200K... - its not like he was tearing this league apart... Mincing and nuancing, that is what this discussion sounds like to me... lets get hero dero back on his home pitch, where he belongs, and lets see what he's got in the tank for us!