PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Wednesday, Dec.18

denime
12-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)Reds Acquire Morrow From San Jose

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/12/reds-acquire-morrow-san-jose)Drake helped sell Jermain Defoe on Toronto FC: report (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/drake-helped-sell-jermain-defoe-on-toronto-fc-report-1.2468183)

Toronto FC trades for defender Justin Morrow (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/justin-morrow-traded-from-san-jose-to-toronto-fc-1.2467459)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

TFC_Allez
12-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Anyone think we'll sign DeRo today?

Technorgasm
12-18-2013, 07:34 AM
This Morrow signing may not get the same hype or headlines.
but this. . above all the other moves PROVES that Bezbatchenko "Bezzie" knows what he is doing.
Knows what we need
Knows how to navigate the INCREDIBLY tough MLS transfer, cap and roster rules.
I may not know many players in MLS, but this guy is a stand out defender.

Whatever the results this season, there will be a LOT more smiles in the south end.

and I'll be one of them. .

*clap clap clap. . well done Tim.

Wolves_On_Tour
12-18-2013, 07:46 AM
This Morrow signing may not get the same hype or headlines.
but this. . above all the other moves PROVES that Bezbatchenko "Bezzie" knows what he is doing.
Knows what we need
Knows how to navigate the INCREDIBLY tough MLS transfer, cap and roster rules.
I may not know many players in MLS, but this guy is a stand out defender.

Whatever the results this season, there will be a LOT more smiles in the south end.

and I'll be one of them. .

*clap clap clap. . well done Tim.

Fully agree. This is a great signing! This, in my opinion, has already been a very productive off season. Surely there is more to come. Hell, we might even have a squad assembled by training camp.......WHAT A CONCEPT!

And yes, I think we will sign De Ro today. I believe that as he comes into the last couple years of his career, he still has lots to give to a club and wants to re-write his legacy for his hometown team. I am certain that his attitude will be different given that the attitude of the club has seemingly changed from the top down.

Exciting times and I can't wait to get the south end bouncing again with the rest of my RPB family!

ensco
12-18-2013, 07:49 AM
It's not a "signing".

As good players are often traded because of contract issues, I wish that a journalist would ask Bez what the contract status of Jackson and Morrow are.

How can anyone evaluate these deals otherwise?

ensco
12-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Also check out the CBC story's discussion of the "done deal" for Defoe. Both the Canadian press reporter and the team sound like they have a 12 year old's understanding of business...

While club officials have not confirmed the signing of Defoe, privately they see it as a done deal. The firing of Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is a complication given the new boss might be more amenable to trying to keep Defoe.

TFC officials hope that any such wooing will be too little, too late.

Wolves_On_Tour
12-18-2013, 07:55 AM
It's not a "signing".

As good players are often traded because of contract issues, I wish that a journalist would ask Bez what the contract status of Jackson and Morrow are.

How can anyone evaluate these deals otherwise?

Bubble.....burst.

Whatever the hell you want to call it, we have a good player in Morrow.
Posts like this that keep me away from posting on here. Any positive attitude is quickly turned in to negativity.

Anyways, looking forward to 2014.

ensco
12-18-2013, 07:57 AM
^I think it's about objectivity. This is the only place for a fan to try to figure out the truth, it's not about ruining anyone's fun. This league conceals a lot of basic info, and the press coverage isn't thorough enough to fight through that. Trades in cap leagues are mostly about contracts.

I don't think the SJ FO are idiots, that's all.

I do like the Morrow deal, I think. If he isn't off to Lappland or something unless he gets $300K, I am thrilled.

Wolves_On_Tour
12-18-2013, 08:14 AM
^I think it's about objectivity. This is the only place for a fan to try to figure out the truth, it's not about ruining anyone's fun. This league conceals a lot of basic info, and the press coverage isn't thorough enough to fight through that. Trades in cap leagues are mostly about contracts.

I do like the Morrow deal, I think. If he isn't off to Lappland or something unless he gets $300K, I am thrilled.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

Technorgasm
12-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Bubble.....burst.

Whatever the hell you want to call it, we have a good player in Morrow.
Posts like this that keep me away from posting on here. Any positive attitude is quickly turned in to negativity.

Anyways, looking forward to 2014.

I have not been excited abotu any player coming in since (now Captain) Caldwell.
With the [pace and positiing of the league, being confident with teh back line is so crucial.

We conceeded the most and scored the least. (or there abouts)
Can we not be a little warm to the fact that positive moves like this might see us become LESS of a laughing stock in MLS?

Getting ever more excited for next season.
you know where i'll be.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 12:13 PM

I respect your opinions, but in this case, I think there's nothing to it other than that SJ was in serious cap trouble. It's been well documented on the MLS website.

That being said, Morrow is not overpaid relative to his stature in the league. San Jose just can't afford him anymore.

Yohan
12-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I respect your opinions, but in this case, I think there's nothing to it other than that SJ was in serious cap trouble. It's been well documented on the MLS website.

That being said, Morrow is not overpaid relative to his stature in the league. San Jose just can't afford him anymore.
SJ can't afford to pay 140k on a back up FB for them. If Morrow was a starter, 140k is a good and fair wage for a FB.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_23201107/san-jose-earthquakes-player-salaries

There you have it. Morrow earned 130K last season. Very reasonable for a 2012 MLS All Star fullback.

I suspect the combination of trading him combined with the allocation received from TFC probably allowed SJ to gain approximately 200K in cap space.

ensco
12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
^What he earned last season is hardly the point I am making.

What does his contract look like, when does it expire, and how much allocation did we give up? That is all I am asking. If we gave up a ton of allocation for a guy who is going to Europe next year, or if he is due for a huge raise, then it's a very different deal than "signing Morrow on $130K".

Seriously, I shouldn't have to write this down. It doesn't make me any less of a fan to want to understand how exactly we spend our scarce resources.

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

What does his contract look like, when does it expire, and how much allocation did we give up? That is all I am asking. If we gave up a ton of allocation for a guy who is going to Europe next year, or if he is due for a huge raise, then it's a very different deal than "signing Morrow on $130K".

Seriously, I shouldn't have to write this down. It doesn't make me any less of a fan to want to understand how exactly we spend our scarce resources.

Unfortunately the information you seek will never become public. So I'd say get used to it.

It would be nice to finally find out lengths of contract, allocation dollars available and traded. But thus is the hush hush world of the MLS.

Technorgasm
12-18-2013, 12:49 PM
The only numbers we shoudl need is % of cap a player takes up.
If he has some sort of deal that doesnt effect the rest of the team. . great I hope he gest MILLIONS for every minute he plays.
Its not like MLSE is hurting for cash.

lets get that defoe fella a ferrari.

Yohan
12-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Morrow signed a new deal in 2012. Assuming standard MLS 2 + 2 club option years contract, I'd say he'd be here for a while.

ensco
12-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately the information you seek will never become public. So I'd say get used to it.

It would be nice to finally find out lengths of contract, allocation dollars available and traded. But thus is the hush hush world of the MLS.

I'm not getting used to it, and my fervent hope is that you don't either.

I am sick and tired of not understanding player moves.

This league doesn't remotely understand how to market itself. Look around - fantasy football, rotisserie baseball, these things are driving interest in those sports.

I want to be treated like a reasonable grown up by the league and team I support.

Phil
12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
I agree with Ensco on all this but history suggests that the MLS will promis all day that they will improve transparency, but really they won't.

ensco
12-18-2013, 02:08 PM
I agree with Ensco on all this but history suggests that the MLS will promis all day that they will improve transparency, but really they won't.

It just bugs me. If we didn't accept it, they would have to change. Journalists need to run through a basic set of questions on deals every time, ones which are automatic in coverage of all other sports. But they won't or don't.

As I read this, I am maximum bearish on the Leafs and it's got me grumpy (probably a bit unfairly) about TFC. Not sure about jackson, but Morrow is probably a nice deal

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
It just bugs me. If we didn't accept it, they would have to change. Journalists need to run through a basic set of questions on deals every time, ones which are automatic in coverage of all other sports. But they won't or don't.

As I read this, I am maximum bearish on the Leafs and it's got me grumpy (probably a bit unfairly) about TFC. Not sure about jackson, but Morrow is probably a nice deal

No worries, I can totally relate. I am actually feeling more optimistic about TFC than the Leafs at the moment.

maninb
12-18-2013, 05:10 PM

Jackson was signed because of the Gilberto signing...TFC needed a fellow Brazilian here to make him feel more welcome, and because of the language barrier..

ensco
12-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Jackson was signed because of the Gilberto signing...TFC needed a fellow Brazilian here to make him feel more welcome, and because of the language barrier..

There are A LOT of good Brazilians who could play that role. There are other MLS journeymen (i.e. Maicon Santos).

I hope Jackson works out.

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm not getting used to it, and my fervent hope is that you don't either.

I am sick and tired of not understanding player moves.

This league doesn't remotely understand how to market itself. Look around - fantasy football, rotisserie baseball, these things are driving interest in those sports.

I want to be treated like a reasonable grown up by the league and team I support.

Oh trust me I wish we didn't have this secret society like atmosphere in the league. However live with the way things are now. As long as Don Garber is still in charge it will always be hush hush.