PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Whitecaps name former Toronto FC midfielder Carl Robinson as new coach

TOBOR !
12-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Vancouver Whitecaps name former Toronto FC midfielder Carl Robinson as new coach (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-press-newsalert-vancouver-whitecaps-name-carl-robinson-181938253--sow.html)

VANCOUVER - Carl Robinson is the new head coach of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

The 37-year-old takes over after spending the last two seasons as an assistant with the Major League Soccer club.

Robinson replaces Martin Rennie, who was fired in October after Vancouver failed to make the playoffs.

Rapid rise up the ranks for Carl - wish him all the best and all that, but not sure how he'll do. Interesting choice - perhaps there were no other options...

tfcleeds
12-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Just too bad he has to manage a team that I hate. Oh well, for what it's worth, I wish HIM all the best.

PopePouri
12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Vancouver Whitecaps name former Toronto FC midfielder Carl Robinson as new coach (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-press-newsalert-vancouver-whitecaps-name-carl-robinson-181938253--sow.html)

Rapid rise up the ranks for Carl - wish him all the best and all that, but not sure how he'll do. Interesting choice - perhaps there were no other options...

From the press conference, Carl was a fall back option for Bob Bradley.

Yohan
12-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Robbo sounded pretty good at the presser. Didn't get caught off guard by any of the questions.

Flipityflu
12-16-2013, 02:39 PM
all the best...ish :)

Fort York Redcoat
12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
All the best except vs. us.

BuSaPuNk
12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
All the best except vs. us.

+1 Wish Robbo all the best.

And before someone gets on the retired player never a head coach bandwagon, he has a UEFA Pro licence.

To me Robbo is the prime example of how players should become coaches.

Yohan
12-16-2013, 02:49 PM
+1 Wish Robbo all the best.

And before someone gets on the retired player never a head coach bandwagon, he has a UEFA class A licence.

To me Robbo is the prime example of how players should become coaches.
UEFA Pro license

ensco
12-16-2013, 03:02 PM
You know what? This is great for TFC.

Whatever happens out there, it will make him a better manager when he manages TFC.

Which was and is a dead lock certainty to happen imho.

burlington Red
12-16-2013, 03:38 PM
good luck to him, kind of strange choice though. He was part of the Rennie management structure that was ultimately deemed not good enough by club.

BuSaPuNk
12-16-2013, 04:30 PM
UEFA Pro license

Thanks for the correction.

TFC07
12-16-2013, 05:09 PM
good luck to him, kind of strange choice though. He was part of the Rennie management structure that was ultimately deemed not good enough by club.

Everyone else rejected Vancouver's job offer; Carl Robinson was plan Z for Whitecaps.

EDIT: Even Perki didn't take Vancouver head coaching job.

Skinner
12-16-2013, 06:19 PM
You know what? This is great for TFC.

Whatever happens out there, it will make him a better manager when he manages TFC.

Which was and is a dead lock certainty to happen imho.

Not sure if you're being serious, but I for one would love to see that happen some day. Robbo is probably my all time favourite TFC player (right there with Danny D). I wish Nelsen a long and succesful TFC run, but if that doesn't work out....would love to see Robbo here.

Mark in Ottawa
12-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Congrats to Carl.
I wish him all the best ... unless the whitecaps are playing TFC or the Ottawa Fury of course.

Yohan
12-16-2013, 09:41 PM
does anyone know if Robbo still owns the house he bought in Toronto area?

Cashcleaner
12-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Great news for him and his family. He was a favourite of mine during TFC's early days and I wish him all the luck. Though like others have mentioned, is this more a case of no-one else wanting to take the job?

bones
12-17-2013, 09:10 AM
...and somewhere in a dark room Jimmy B is grinding his teeth...

Strikers
12-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I wish all the best to Robbo but, does anyone think he will be able to be successful with the whitecaps. Bradley a co rejected the whitecaps offers because Lenarduzzi still wants control of all the
major decisions. Who can work in that type of environment. Saputo & De Santis control the impact. In the media they all say that the manager has final say but who believes that.

I know Robbo will be a very good manager but I don't think it will happen with the whitecaps.

cmonyoureds
12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Class act. I hope he has much success at the detriment of everyone except us.