PDA

View Full Version : Official: Jackson traded to TFC from Dallas

Yohan
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/12/tfc-acquires-jackson-fc-dallas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_(footballer_born_1988)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/jackson-goncalves

PopePouri
12-09-2013, 04:55 PM
That's a pretty good start.

Alonso
12-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Good addition.

What salary was he on last year?

Ultra & Proud
12-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Good addition.

What salary was he on last year?

165K from what the news says.

notthesun
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Good first move from Bez. Extra wide midfield help was needed, especially with Convey's status still up in the air. And Jackson is better than Convey in the first place, so it's an upgrade even if Convey re-signs.

Yohan
12-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Yohan the wise. Give us an opinion
Sure ;)

Pro:
-Athletic outside player with good first touch and technique. Physical play of MLS don't faze him. Plenty of pace.
-Has nose for the goal, as well as decent passing and crossing.
-Utility player who's most effective as RW IMO, but also can play RB. He's also been used as LB, DM and ST.
-Only 25

Con:
-Inconsistency based upon tendency to ball hog and make poor decisions.
-Turns over the ball a lot.
-Hot tempered. Makes bone head decisions that gets him carded quite often.
-Takes up an int spot

Jackson is a bit of an enigma. He's got the tools to be really good footballer, but mentally he needs to mature a bit. At 165k guaranteed compensation wage, he's priced right for what he brings to the table. And I think he's on his final year of contract in 2014, so he's got the motivation to play for a better contract, and/or put himself on showcase to be picked up in Europe.

TFC07
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Doesn't Jackson qualify for Green card? He has been in the States about 3 years.

Yohan
12-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Doesn't Jackson qualify for Green card? He has been in the States about 3 years.
I've yet to read anything that says he got his green card.

Initial B
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Hmmm, might make a good outlet or partner for Laba. Sounds like he's also defensive minded. Let's see who else ends up in the re-entry draft. With Cooper available, we might be able to pick up a target man for the DP. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Braun.

TFC07
12-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Potential starting line up:

----------------Bendik----------------
Bloom---Caldwell----Henry----Morgan
Jackson----Laba---Osorio-----Rey
------DP--------DP---------------

Yohan
12-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Hmmm, might make a good outlet or partner for Laba. Sounds like he's also defensive minded. Let's see who else ends up in the re-entry draft. With Cooper available, we might be able to pick up a target man for the DP. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Braun.
Thread starting to get hijacked, but oh well.

I love Kenny Cooper. I really do. The problem is, he needs to play under certain conditions, generally playing with a good hold up striker while Cooper makes slashing runs into the box. So either you get Kenny Cooper who can score 15-18 goals a season, or the inconsistent Kenny Cooper who may put in 6-8 goals. Cooper is getting paid like 350k a season. I don't think Cooper is a luxury that TFC can afford.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Could be brought in to help acclimate Gilberto as well

jazzy
12-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Potential starting line up:

----------------Bendik----------------
Bloom---Caldwell----Henry----Morgan
Jackson----Laba---Osorio-----Rey
------DP--------DP---------------
that is quite intriguing !...

jloome
12-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Sure ;)

Pro:
-Athletic outside player with good first touch and technique. Physical play of MLS don't faze him. Plenty of pace.
-Has nose for the goal, as well as decent passing and crossing.
-Utility player who's most effective as RW IMO, but also can play RB. He's also been used as LB, DM and ST.
-Only 25

Con:
-Inconsistency based upon tendency to ball hog and make poor decisions.
-Turns over the ball a lot.
-Hot tempered. Makes bone head decisions that gets him carded quite often.
-Takes up an int spot

Jackson is a bit of an enigma. He's got the tools to be really good footballer, but mentally he needs to mature a bit. At 165k guaranteed compensation wage, he's priced right for what he brings to the table. And I think he's on his final year of contract in 2014, so he's got the motivation to play for a better contract, and/or put himself on showcase to be picked up in Europe.

He was a defender until he moved to MLS, a center back, not a fullback. But he has such good technical skill that they've converted him to a winger in this league, and he played centrally as a DM as well.

Given his pedigree, he might be coming in to pair with Laba as a two-way mid.

I'm surprised we got him; he's proven quality in this league. Very good trade. We probably ponied up a fair chunk of allocation dough.

jazzy
12-09-2013, 05:52 PM

I love Kenny Cooper. I really do. The problem is, he needs to play under certain conditions, generally playing with a good hold up striker while Cooper makes slashing runs into the box. So either you get Kenny Cooper who can score 15-18 goals a season, or the inconsistent Kenny Cooper who may put in 6-8 goals. Cooper is getting paid like 350k a season. I don't think Cooper is a luxury that TFC can afford.

precisely !...he's not the same man of the past......and definitely not at the cost ..this is what Dike is for with way more enthusiasm .

pdubs
12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
like this move. still young player with almost 100 mls games played. gives us quality where we don't have much depth.

Yohan
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-acquires-brazilian-jackson-from-dallas/

Good write up by JMo

ensco
12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Agree that this feels right.

Slot mgmt is almost as big as cap mgmt in this league, but we have not used international slots on proven MLS veterans much (in fact, have we ever done it ex Ronnie O'Brien? I think the answer is no)

I hope Jackson is signed and happy to come here. I am not assuming either of those is a certainty.

Ivy
12-09-2013, 07:40 PM
So who's gonna play out of position? Jackson or Rey?

TFC07
12-09-2013, 07:40 PM

If we move Jackson to RB and get more attacking mid while moving Osorio on the wing, then this team will become very good IMO.

TFC07
12-09-2013, 07:42 PM
So who's gonna play out of position? Jackson or Rey?

It depends where Jackson is playing (RB or RW?) I personally think Bloom got RB position locked down as a starter, so I would say it will be Rey moving to the left (to be honest, it shouldn't be a big deal to play another side) so Jackson can play on right side.

notthesun
12-09-2013, 07:59 PM
They'll likely swap wings multiple times during a match. Convey and Rey did that on many occasions already.

sashavukelich
12-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Rey, Laba, Jackson and Osorio.....well boys, we've got an All spanish (and 1 portugese) speaking midfield. Are the Latino-philes happy? I'm thrilled personally.

Red I
12-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Rey, Laba, Jackson and Osorio.....well boys, we've got an All spanish (and 1 portugese) speaking midfield. Are the Latino-philes happy? I'm thrilled personally. lived in Dallas. Guaranteed he speaks Spanish too. Seemed to understand Ferriera when he swung a couple punches at him.

OgtheDim
12-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Now that's a good move.

ag futbol
12-09-2013, 09:36 PM
In some of his brief YouTube highlights it looks like he's playing as a CF ( just to confuse things further). Believe the midfield is his most natural spot, but a great guy to have on your team regardless.

Sullivan
12-09-2013, 09:36 PM

Indeed,...

Among other considerations, this acquisition takes us 1 step further from a 4-4-2.

cmonyoureds
12-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Talent wise, ok, this could work. I see the idea here.
I have a few reservations about his volatility and if he keeps it under control playing for a team that loses a LOT, and can be frustrating to watch, let alone play for. Then again, this is our year, right?

CommradePolski
12-10-2013, 12:31 AM
I think this is a good move.

Jackson seems to be our replacement for Darel Russell. A versatile veteran midfielder (veteran at 25 even). Able to play where he is told to play.

I like it.

DigzTFC!
12-10-2013, 12:41 AM
This clip shows him all positions - RW, RB, DM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6g0z6zEOGo

Safe to say he's a high value trade and will be seeing the field on most nights.

I'd prefer him at RW so we can start to have a fluid counter attack.

And he does speak Spanish. That's how he did his interviews for FCD.

Morlesio14
12-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Rey was great on the left side last year, good ttrade

Canary10
12-10-2013, 09:26 AM
A really good pick up I think. He had a very good start to the season last year. Got some goals from mid. Tanked in the second half of the season along with the whole Dallas team though. Good move all in all.

Sullivan
12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Every year I head down to Dallas for the Dallas Cup, which is a youth soccer tournament of the highest quality.
Over the years I've met some interesting locals who are involved in the game, and also happen to be FC Dallas supporters.

Majority that responded to my email for info are very happy to see Jackson gone; not one reply suggested this was a bad trade for FCD.
I wasn't aware that he was fined by the league for a punch up with a teammate during a game.

Apparently he's a hand-full. Someone already provided similar insight.
Couple of responses referred to him as Tic-Toc Jackson.
Lot of talent, but for all that he offers, he brings more baggage.
We should prepare ourselves for his inability to be a team guy, and watch him squander countless opportunities.

PopePouri
12-10-2013, 10:17 AM
The best thing about this is his versatility and high work rate at a decent cap hit. If Nelsen isn't a fan of his ability as a winger, he can play right back or center mid. He's a decent starter where ever he plays.

Canary10
12-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Every year I head down to Dallas for the Dallas Cup, which is a youth soccer tournament of the highest quality.
Over the years I've met some interesting locals who are involved in the game, and also happen to be FC Dallas supporters.

Majority that responded to my email for info are very happy to see Jackson gone; not one reply suggested this was a bad trade for FCD.
I wasn't aware that he was fined by the league for a punch up with a teammate during a game.

We should prepare ourselves for his inability to be a team guy, and watch him squander countless opportunities.

I think that's probably all true. Still a very decent player and was excellent at the start of last season. Personally I like guys that play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. So does the TFC faithful from my observations.

backbeat
12-10-2013, 10:23 AM
some FC Dallas supporters thoughts on Jackson:

'For every game that you say "Wow, that guy can play," you'll have about 3 games of "holy Santa Claus shit, where did we find this clown?"'

'Jackson: when outsiders referred to FCD as a, "team with tons of individual talent", they could point to Jackson as a prime example. A guy who individually was fun to watch, but brutally and continually refused to play any sort of team game. Once the ball got to him, you could pretty much bet no one else would see it again until the keeper had the inevitable goal kick.'

'Has some real talent, but is a headache.'

'Jackson - not a team player. Turnover machine. Too much bad, not enough good. PASS'

'Jackson-Sometimes our only offensive threat, but we can live without him and his hotheadedness.'

ManUtd4ever
12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
^^ Well, a change of scenery can often do wonders for a player's outlook on the game, and overall attitude. He's still relatively young as well, so perhaps it was a lack of maturity that led to his issues in Dallas.

Amado Guevara came to Toronto with a similar reputation and ended up being a productive and amicable player in the locker room.

Canary10
12-10-2013, 10:31 AM

'For every game that you say "Wow, that guy can play," you'll have about 3 games of "holy Santa Claus shit, where did we find this clown?"'

'Jackson: when outsiders referred to FCD as a, "team with tons of individual talent", they could point to Jackson as a prime example. A guy who individually was fun to watch, but brutally and continually refused to play any sort of team game. Once the ball got to him, you could pretty much bet no one else would see it again until the keeper had the inevitable goal kick.'

'Jackson - not a team player. Turnover machine. Too much bad, not enough good. PASS'

'Jackson-Sometimes our only offensive threat, but we can live without him and his hotheadedness.'

These comments aren't entirely negative. From what I've seen of him, that would be my description as well. I'm fine with it.

nonc
12-10-2013, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they make him play yet another new position (LB) in preseason because let's face it LB is a big hole. Pretty sweet move to cover our ass all over the field regardless.

Ultra & Proud
12-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I worry a bit about his temper a bit but we've dealt with that type here before.

ag futbol
12-10-2013, 10:50 AM
The way he's being described reminds me of Ryan Johnson. You can see the talent, but there is crazy amounts of inconsistency. Perhaps some proper coaching will allow the team to get the most out of him.

I'll take talented but attitude problems over talent-less with a great attitude.

ensco
12-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Anyone know his contract status?

Red4ever
12-10-2013, 11:21 AM
"One Name? One name?!? Who are you? Seal?"

gdg_9
12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I think this is a good move.

Jackson seems to be our replacement for Darel Russell. A versatile veteran midfielder (veteran at 25 even). Able to play where he is told to play.

I like it.

This makes a ton of sense.
A much more likely scenario than him being a RW in place of Rey.

Red I
12-10-2013, 05:01 PM
This makes a ton of sense.
A much more likely scenario than him being a RW in place of Rey.

Way too quick not to play on the wings; has some good pace to him - clearly something the team lacks at the moment. Rey does well on the opposite wing; i don't think it's too far-fetched to think Jackson could do the same? Think Convey has lost some steps, and that's still an area the team can improve. Guess it depends of he can cross with both feet...

T-boy
12-10-2013, 05:32 PM

These quotes kinda describe most of the players in the MLS!

Kaz
12-10-2013, 05:46 PM
the idea that he is too fast not to play on the wings is always something I find humours... Marvell Wynne.

jazzy
12-10-2013, 06:46 PM

this may be true,...but one always get some baggage with a trade, hopefully he wants a new beginning . Nelson won't allow a big head I'm sure . That is one plus with his professionalism , Nelson has played in bigger leagues than this guy . If he doesn't work out it really isn't a huge loss. Not that costly . Worthwhile IMHO .

mcolvy
12-10-2013, 07:02 PM
He loves that back post little chip shot....but I can see how that frustrates those around him.

OgtheDim
12-10-2013, 07:13 PM
He loves that back post little chip shot....but I can see how that frustrates those around him.

He tries that with a DP striker, he's going to get decked.

Chevy
12-10-2013, 09:10 PM

I love Kenny more than you do! Guy was an absolute MLS beast, dangerous any time he touched the ball. He was on close to DP-level money, but if anybody can sign this guy for under $200k (150k would be perfect) he's worth it.

Jpexxx
12-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Not that i'd ever need an excuse to post this video... But I KNEW I remembered Jackson from a specific game...

He has a few decent headers, clearly played as an attacker in this game... But skip to goal number 3

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTjl5SR94-M

Yohan
12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Not that i'd ever need an excuse to post this video... But I KNEW I remembered Jackson from a specific game...

He has a few decent headers, clearly played as an attacker in this game... But skip to goal number 3

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTjl5SR94-M
that highlight made me miss Nick Soolsma

ManUtd4ever
12-10-2013, 10:30 PM

That highlight made me miss that CCL run.

I can't believe that was just over two years ago.

Jpexxx
12-10-2013, 10:38 PM

I miss him every day.

He is currently playing 2nd Div Australia...

mcolvy
12-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Notorious partier Soolsma was..
Just traveling the world looking for the next party I presume.

Not a bad life boys.

Canary10
12-11-2013, 09:17 AM
These quotes kinda describe most of the players in the MLS!

Ha, I almost said the EXACT same thing.

Voodooman
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Either way I would take Soolsma back no problem.

mcolvy
12-11-2013, 11:56 AM
His mobility was terrible and he isn't useful in a 442.

Yohan
12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
His mobility was terrible and he isn't useful in a 442.
Soolsma sucks in 4-4-2? Based upon Mariner's tactics?

Soolsma looks slow, but he had half step on his defender 1v1 most of the time to deliver a good cross. Pace isn't everything, if you have other tools to be effective on the wing.

Detroit_TFC
12-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but in context of (imminent I assume) Gilberto signing, Jackson will be given a role as translator - both of language and MLS style of play. That might bind him to the team differently than at FCD. Or he could still be a dick, anything is possible.

mcolvy
12-11-2013, 12:32 PM
And I agree that he was effective as a wing-forward, because he kept his defender always off balance and could create room for himself to work. With that being said, off the ball his mobility becomes a huge liability, for tracking back and putting pressure on ball carriers. It wasn't just his pace, but his rigidness and lack of agility. Nelsen requires some agility to put pressure on the ball (watch Laba move). That is why I believe he is best suited for the wing in a 3-man forward line, where he is up top pining down an opposing fullback, not flying up and down the wing tailing another winger.