PDA

View Full Version : The real reason Alan Gordon was traded

MartinUtd
12-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Burried at the bottom of this DeRo article was this little gem

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/07/toronto-fc-looking-at-bringing-dwayne-de-rosario-back-to-club

While completely irrelevant in terms of the club’s current management group, one former TFC player in K.C. for the festivities offered some insight into a strange trade the Reds — under then head coach Aron Winter — orchestrated a few years back.

It turns out Winter, at least initially, wasn’t interested in trading Alan Gordon in 2011.
But after a locker-room brouhaha broke out shortly after a 2-0 loss in Houston that season, “(Winter) didn’t know how to handle it,” the player told the Sun.
At the time, Gordon, who did well in his brief time in Toronto, had a strained hip flexor.
Despite Gordon telling a TFC staff member he shouldn’t play 90 minutes, a member of the medical team ignored his plea, the source said.
Gordon asked for a second-half substitution that night, but Winter played him the entire game, which led to a brief punch-up between Gordon and the aforementioned medical team member in the dressing room after the match.
The player told the Sun he eventually had to hold Gordon back as the two attacked one another.
A week later, Gordon was inexplicably — until now — shipped out to San Jose alongside Jacob Peterson and Nana Attakora in return for Ryan Johnson.

PopePouri
12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Gee, Kurt was in Kansas for the final. I wonder who that source may be?

jloome
12-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Burried at the bottom of this DeRo article was this little gem

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/07/toronto-fc-looking-at-bringing-dwayne-de-rosario-back-to-club

The hernia part of this was known already; Gordon has said trainers here were misdiagnosing a continuing injury and trying to force him to play, which is part of why he wanted out.

The punch up part is new, I think.

Richard
12-08-2013, 02:32 PM
So is the trainer still with the club? I would imagine that is grounds for negligent conduct. It begs to question how Koevs was handled as well.

prizby
12-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Gee, Kurt was in Kansas for the final. I wonder who that source may be?

Jacob Peterson

jazzy
12-08-2013, 08:27 PM
ya his love for Toronto is voluminous........he's not biased :D

cmonyoureds
12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Sadly, I believe the story.
One day I really hope we get a "tell all" from someone about the first 7 years here.

MartinUtd
12-09-2013, 11:36 AM
One day I really hope we get a "tell all" from someone about the first 7 years here.

We probably will once De Guzman retires from the game. Of all the people who were around he seems to me, the most likely to run his mouth once he's out of the game. The rest are all younger or pursing careers in management.

Ben - D.O.W.
12-09-2013, 12:19 PM

Seeing as no one was here for nearly that long we'd need a writer who was willing to put in a ton of work to get the number of interviews you'd need.

Beach_Red
12-09-2013, 12:20 PM

It would at least make for a good chapter in a "MLSE tell-all."

Phil
12-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Whats amazing is that more of these stories don't get out. This isn't the only rumour of an incident like this that I have heard.

brad
12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
This was talked about a fair amount on here when it happened.

habstfc
12-09-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't believe that's the reason. Things get added or subtracted from a story depending on who you're hearing it from. If someone has an axe to grind against the club the truth isn't going to be 100% in a story related to a reporter 2+ years later. Even if it's related to Larson by Gordon himself his story is going to be in his self interest to protect his ego or his reputation. It may be that he was frustrated by an injury and an argument ensued, doesn't mean it's a locker room brawl.

ensco
12-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I can't remember all of it now (Gordon was far from the only player that squawked), but Winter had tremendous problems with the room, he didn't think much of the skill level and didn't treat the players like men, and this story is totally consistent with that.

The trade wasn't a bad one, in hindsight. Johnson is a good player. Gordon did not look like he had much left, and his post-TFC rapid ascension to USMNT hero was kind of Rudy-like (the Notre Dame Rudy, not the one who comes on here!).

The bad trade is moving RJ and Andrew Farrell for Bekker, Welshman, and a bunch of seemingly wasted allocation.

Tim Bez and Tim L: you want to score some points around here? Give us an honest accounting of what happened to the allocation acquired in the draft day deals, and for Silva.

Red I
12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Tim Bez and Tim L: you want to score some points around here? Give us an honest accounting of what happened to the allocation acquired in the draft day deals, and for Silva.

I'm pretty sure it was used for paying down contracts of Ecks and who knows who else... but what good is knowing the full accounting of the allocation? If this is a non-disclosed amount, why would you make it public? The public knowledge would erode leverage in contract negotiations, trades, etc.

ensco
12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure it was used for paying down contracts of Ecks and who knows who else... but what good is knowing the full accounting of the allocation? If this is a non-disclosed amount, why would you make it public? The public knowledge would erode leverage in contract negotiations, trades, etc.

Because non-disclosure of allocation has been a charlatan's game with this team since the beginning. It would signal a new way of doing things.

I know it's a league wide position, but enough is enough. There isn't enough accountability. I don't really buy the argument around negotiating position, seems pretty weak to me. Every other league in the world seems to disclose everything, and somehow negotiates contracts.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

Red I
12-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Because non-disclosure of allocation has been a charlatan's game with this team since the beginning. It would signal a new way of doing things.

I know it's a league wide position, but enough is enough. There isn't enough accountability. I don't really buy the argument around negotiating position, seems pretty weak to me. Every other league in the world seems to disclose everything, and somehow negotiates contracts.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

Oh I agree, but there will be no Perestroika in MLS... the day they become open is the day they lose control. Will never happen