PDA

View Full Version : MLS State of Union address 2pm (right now)

Yohan
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJeCL2ig9Hs#t=1407

MartinUtd
12-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Did that Scottish guy just say the last Ballon d'Or winner was American?

PopePouri
12-03-2013, 02:42 PM

I think we know who will be the next Doctor Who.

Yohan
12-03-2013, 02:53 PM
He was stating a fantasy vision of his in 2033 where MLS becomes a top league, and he was asking the Don how he plans to make MLS a top league.

MartinUtd
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Ah that makes sense.. I'll admit I was half listening. This is really hard to sit through though: Between the echoing questions and Garber's smug dismissiveness, I'm barely hanging on here.

I mean, right now he was asked about rules transparency and he goes into a big jerk off about the Timbers. He then goes on to say "yeah, we change the rules as we go along".

What a joke. He is literally Vince Mcmahon.

Yohan
12-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Neil Davidson wasted his opportunity to ask a good question... oh well

ag futbol
12-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Ah that makes sense.. I'll admit I was half listening. This is really hard to sit through though: Between the echoing questions and Garber's smug dismissiveness, I'm barely hanging on here.

I mean, right now he was asked about rules transparency and he goes into a big jerk off about the Timbers. He then goes on to say "yeah, we change the rules as we go along".

What a joke. He is literally Vince Mcmahon.
Yeah, I wonder about Garber at times.

Clearly he did a great job of bringing the league from A to B. But from where we are right now, aka transitioning the league from it's awkward teenage years to the next step, I'm not sure if he's the person you want.

Yohan
12-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Pretty disappointing Q&A session. No real info, except MLS spends about 20 mil per year for youth academies, and MLS and USSF is working together with a plan to produce better USMNT players.

Shway
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Pretty disappointing Q&A session. No real info, except MLS spends about 20 mil per year for youth academies, and MLS and USSF is working together with a plan to produce better USMNT players.

Thats 1M and some change to each of the MLS academy teams....that's nothing, but it also makes me wonder how much money does each individual club put towards their academy.

Yohan
12-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Thats 1M and some change to each of the MLS academy teams....that's nothing, but it also makes me wonder how much money does each individual club put towards their academy.
it is a pretty big money, if you compare it to the salary cap

ag futbol
12-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Very good point. For example: TFC has a very nice facility compared to most and RSL operates a second full academy in a separate location, they are probably dropping a lot more $ than most.

habstfc
12-03-2013, 04:47 PM
No mention of half the teams losing money or the chivas debacle, no real hardball questions from journalists except the oregon reporter asking about the bad tv ratings.

Beach_Red
12-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I wonder about Garber at times.

Clearly he did a great job of bringing the league from A to B. But from where we are right now, aka transitioning the league from it's awkward teenage years to the next step, I'm not sure if he's the person you want.

Yes, the next stage is going to be a lot more difficult.

Phil
12-04-2013, 09:05 AM
What a mess this years playoff schedule is, no wonder why they have trouble getting traction on TV ratings.

Haddy
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
What a mess this years playoff schedule is

I think they were trying their hardest to make the MLS Cup as forgotten and irrelevant as possible. Yet another topic they won't take the blame for. Deflections, deflections.

BuSaPuNk
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I was listening to a podcast can't remember which one but they said the issue with the schedule in the playoffs this year was because of TV. Leauge had nothing to do with the gaps in the conference finals and now. Was the only time they would play on TV apparently.

Phil
12-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Ya, TV really worked out well during the run in. LOL, one week where you finish a home and home series, start another then take a two week FIFA break, then another week before the final.

It was interesting for viewers having the opening round so cramed but all that momentum was lost on everyonw when you have to break out your smartphone to look up next dates. Its not appealing for any casual fan that wants to see more.

BuSaPuNk
12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Ya, TV really worked out well during the run in. LOL, one week where you finish a home and home series, start another then take a two week FIFA break, then another week before the final.

It was interesting for viewers having the opening round so cramed but all that momentum was lost on everyonw when you have to break out your smartphone to look up next dates. Its not appealing for any casual fan that wants to see more.

And that's the problem. They should be making it easier for the casual fan to tune into the games.

They have to make a set time for games on certain days. So you will always know on Saturdays there's games at 1,4,10:30 ect. Makes casuals more intuned to tune in if there is a set schedule.

Mark in Ottawa
12-04-2013, 02:39 PM
What with Ottawa getting an NASL start next season it was interesting to hear them mentioning Atlanta, San Antonio and Minnesota as possible MLS expansion targets as they currently have working NASL franchises.

Lots of talk about expansion ... not so much about MLS franchises that are not doing so well.
I guess this means that the concept of promotion/relegation is good and dead as far as North American football is concerned.

pdogg
12-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I think having NASL franchises promoted makes it easier to implement a promotion/relegation. These are cities that were able to (successfully?) sustain a franchise when it as not the top tier, and their fanbase has grown considerably since. They may be in the best position to sustain a drop from MLS to NASL if promotion/relegation came into place - now they would just need to play their way back into MLS. Attendance would fall, but I assume it would be higher than before they joined MLS. But could NY, LA, Houston, Dallas say the same? Or dare I ask - Toronto?

Yohan
12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I think having NASL franchises promoted makes it easier to implement a promotion/relegation. These are cities that were able to (successfully?) sustain a franchise when it as not the top tier, and their fanbase has grown considerably since. They may be in the best position to sustain a drop from MLS to NASL if promotion/relegation came into place - now they would just need to play their way back into MLS. Attendance would fall, but I assume it would be higher than before they joined MLS. But could NY, LA, Houston, Dallas say the same? Or dare I ask - Toronto?
again, pro/rel talk is pointless. NASL is a rival to MLS, nor will MLS investors accept pro/rel