PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Chooses Dejero

MartinUtd
12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
KITCHENER, ONTARIO —Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, owner of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs, the NBA’s Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC of MLS and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies has deployed three Dejero Live+ 20/20 transmitters to capture and transmit supplemental video content for home and away games of the teams

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0086/maple-leaf-sports--entertainment-chooses-dejero--/222572

Not entirely sure what this is about but it appears MLSE is going to be capable of delivering more HD content. I know there are a few media types on here so if any of you can explain this further, I'd love to know what this is about.

ensco
12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Dejero is a technology company in KW that has a handheld camera/software package that reduces costs for broadcasters.

It means nothing to MLSE, other than they are trying out an experimental technology to save money.

Very nice business for Dejero though.

MartinUtd
12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Is this similar to what NeuLion does?

JuliquE
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Wait.. this thread ISN'T about DeRo?

PopePouri
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
More like Mejero....
http://www.impermium.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Troll.png

SamK
12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
More like Mejero....
I got a good laugh from this

Hessanfefer
12-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Whew, what a relief!! I thought MLSE was in some kind of human genetic experimentation and had developed a ready made player with Jermain Defoe's and DeRosario's DNA. :conehead:

Haddy
12-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I know there are a few media types on here so if any of you can explain this further, I'd love to know what this is about.

It's essentially a tool to get content back to the broadcast center faster and more efficiently. It improves the turnaround time on video that not only needs to be posted in a video-on-demand format for online - but also gives you an option to go live in a broadcast if done correctly.

Think of it as LeafsTV and RapsTV now having the ability to provide up-to-the-minute visuals for a fraction of the fee.

Satellite trucks, microwave trucks, etc...are cumbersome, not entirely reliable (micro at least) and entirely too expensive in many cases.

A conventional live scrum setup would consist of this: The subject speaking into a microphone; audio and visuals of that subject transmitted by camera wireless or cabled to satellite or microwave truck farther away, typically outside the building; truck sends signal back to station. Satellite trucks involve booking a rather expensive window of an actual sat line to bounce your signal back to station. In the case of a microwave truck, in my experience in downtown Toronto, you need line-of-sight with the CN Tower to bounce your signal to your broadcast center. With all the buildings, it's a real headache.

All in all, this is a good choice by MLSE. Glad to see the investment and hope it helps them improve their delivery, quality and volume of content.

Blizzard
12-05-2013, 02:30 AM
It's essentially a tool to get content back to the broadcast center faster and more efficiently. It improves the turnaround time on video that not only needs to be posted in a video-on-demand format for online - but also gives you an option to go live in a broadcast if done correctly.

Think of it as LeafsTV and RapsTV now having the ability to provide up-to-the-minute visuals for a fraction of the fee.

Satellite trucks, microwave trucks, etc...are cumbersome, not entirely reliable (micro at least) and entirely too expensive in many cases.

A conventional live scrum setup would consist of this: The subject speaking into a microphone; audio and visuals of that subject transmitted by camera wireless or cabled to satellite or microwave truck farther away, typically outside the building; truck sends signal back to station. Satellite trucks involve booking a rather expensive window of an actual sat line to bounce your signal back to station. In the case of a microwave truck, in my experience in downtown Toronto, you need line-of-sight with the CN Tower to bounce your signal to your broadcast center. With all the buildings, it's a real headache.

All in all, this is a good choice by MLSE. Glad to see the investment and hope it helps them improve their delivery, quality and volume of content.

I use a DJ on almost a daily basis. It utilizes four OTA modems, two LTE and two 3G (at least that is how mine is configured). By ganging the bandwidth, you can transmit a broadcast quality signal back to a server via which a broadcaster can go live or record for later broadcast or for editing.

You also have their Store and Forward feature which allows you to record on the built-in hard drive and then send to your home base when the live bandwidth might be inconsistent or just insufficient. Sort of like uploading to FTP but with four modems instead of one. It's very, very handy and can save your ass. It also serves as a handy back-up recording (albeit quite compressed).

It's a quality technology that will only improve as they upgrade their software (something they do regularly) and as OTA bandwidth gets better and better. The improvements in that regard over the past two years have been immense. I love LTE.

It is really a PC built into a medium sized pelican case. It can be a bit little bit bulky and awkward at times I must admit but it's a small price to pay for its value. They do warn us to stay 20 or 30 cm's away from the antennas due to the possibility of exposure to the RF. Realistically, I doubt it is a problem but one can never be too careful.

It's a great piece of hardware/software and the guys in Waterloo deserve a great deal of credit for developing what really has changed the ENG element of TV news. It's not uncommon to see three or four DJ's at a presser nowadays.

More info here: http://www.dejero.com/live-20-20-transmitter.html

B

__wowza
12-06-2013, 02:53 AM
More like Mejero....

apparently i have to spread rep around before i can give you some for this.
so i'll just say it here.. well played.

JuliquE
12-06-2013, 07:01 AM
apparently i have to spread rep around before i can give you some for this.
so i'll just say it here.. well played.
You can start spreading rep. with me, since I set him up for it. ^^'

Nah.. I had a good laugh from his post, as well. Perfect execution.