PDA

View Full Version : Ibra - is he the real deal?

FCBarcelona
07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Watched Ibra for the first time yesterday, this kid could be a very good player.

Any thoughts?

flatpicker
07-20-2008, 05:35 PM
as long as his confidence doesn't get kicked in the ass like Lombardo's did.

H Bomb
07-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Ibra? Ibee, or Abdus.

And yeah I thought he looked really good. He's a blue chipper but he can't have the whole team depending on him. He needs room to grow and gain strength and a greater tactical base. In 2 years he'll be a monster

tfc_4_ever
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Ibra? Ibee, or Abdus.

And yeah I thought he looked really good. He's a blue chipper but he can't have the whole team depending on him. He needs room to grow and gain strength and a greater tactical base. In 2 years he'll be a monster

I hope he becomes a monster with toronto before he heads to europe.

profit89
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
He runs into spaces well. Which is more than I can say for Cunny. Cunny sux!

FCBarcelona
07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
He runs into spaces well. Which is more than I can say for Cunny. Cunny sux!
=====
Have too agree Cunny is not the right player for TFC, he came to the club with BIG numbers in goals scored since arriving here , it been very poor.

We need to sign a striker and soon!

Nerepis
07-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Great hustle, good movement off the ball, and has the balls to try and kick it in the back of the net when an opening occurs. I thought he handled the manhandling he took yesterday well. He will be an absolute cannibal when he puts on a little weight and grows into that frame. Sadly, I think he will only be in this league a few years.

scyzor_tay
07-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Confidence? Lombardo is just crap. :rolleyes:

rocker
07-20-2008, 06:33 PM
ya, I agree... i like how Ibrahim seems to always get himself into a good position.
I remember two specific moments when he was in great position to receive a ball but neither Guevara nor Robert made good enough passes. But the opportunity was there, created by Ibby.

joel
07-20-2008, 06:34 PM

I think his skill had a lot more to do with it than his confidence.

jloome
07-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Confidence? Lombardo is just crap. :rolleyes:

Lombardo's European training -- which I guess we always just assume is the most defining influence -- was to be a target man, not a striker; a playmaker who holds the ball up, not a goal scorer. But it's a pretty dying art -- you have to be both big (Drogba, Adebayor) and able to score these days.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Young but defo looks comfortable on the ball and is confident enough to run at defenders and play around them. I think, provided he gets the proper training, he will be a phenomenal player. Ideally if he does develop he stays until hes 20 but ya never know...

CretanBull
07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I really like watching him play - he's might be the brightest spot of our season - but he' got to be stronger on his feet and learn how to fight through tackles...he goes down too easy for my liking.

greatwhitenorf
07-20-2008, 07:22 PM
In the game against Pachuca, I was really impressed with his skill on the ball. He was getting past their defenders with some nice flick-ons or making one-t0uch passes to teammates and getting into good positions for a return ball.

This kid uses his head and has a very strong upside.

S_D
07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
he looks pretty good to me.

However he needs to fill out. He may be doing a bit of diving, but I think it is more of getting knocked around a bit against grown men. My only concern is if he is in fact getting knocked around and going down, I hope that he doesn't build an unfair reputation as a diver. He has already been booked for it once.

flatpicker
07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
=====
Have too agree Cunny is not the right player for TFC, he came to the club with BIG numbers in goals scored since arriving here , it been very poor.

We need to sign a striker and soon!

:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xL9x83SPRg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xL9x83SPRg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Raging Reggie
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
i think he will do well, and i dont think hes 16 at all haha. Only complaint and its not his fault is that he needs to get stronger and bulk up a bit like mentions a few times above. I hope he plays on tues and bags us some goals.

OneLoveOneEric
07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Much too soon to tell.
Some good touches, definitely needs to develop his decision making.
And definitely not 16,

Toronto_Bhoy
07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Agree with OLOE…only time will tell…he obviously has some skill but I thought he was really out muscled yesterday as mentioned earlier by S_D. The San Jose back four easily manhandled him and other clubs will take noticed. He never won a ball in the air and got frustrated early and started flopping about.

It's going to be a learning curve for him but I like what I've seen.

joel
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Lombardo's European training -- which I guess we always just assume is the most defining influence -- was to be a target man, not a striker; a playmaker who holds the ball up, not a goal scorer. But it's a pretty dying art -- you have to be both big (Drogba, Adebayor) and able to score these days.

Yeah but he was no good as a target man, playmaker, or a guy who could hold the ball up. I don't think his traning counts for much of anything as you have to be able to translate it into results.

egoodwin
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
he's got fancy footwork as well

TorCanSoc
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Why did Dallas release him? I think that's where he came from. And how did we get him, what/who did we give up?

Cashcleaner
07-21-2008, 03:40 AM
I will gladly raise my hand and admit I knew NOTHING about Ibrahim until a bit over a month ago. As for now though, I'm really starting to pay attention. The guy is looking great on the pitch particularly his positioning, pace, and overall direction. For a guy in his late teens (maybe not 16, but definitely not older than 20), he certainly has a good idea of where and how to move during the attack. Put a couple of pounds on him and build up his frame and you'll see more confidence from him when he's tangling with some defenders.

James Oliphant
07-21-2008, 03:51 AM
He needs to stay on his feet...he goes down a bit too easily.

Why did Dallas release him? I think that's where he came from. And how did we get him, what/who did we give up?

Family troubles. He has family in the area, and was struggling away from them.

We got him in exchange for a conditional draft pick.

S_D
07-21-2008, 07:18 AM
For a guy in his late teens (maybe not 16, but definitely not older than 20), he certainly has a good idea of where and how to move during the attack. Put a couple of pounds on him and build up his frame and you'll see more confidence from him when he's tangling with some defenders.

I was sure I saw that he was 16... and yep he is. I just checked out the MLS site.
http://web.mlsnet.com/players/index.jsp?club=t280

He was born in August 1991, so he turns 17 this August. Just wow to have the skills he has at his age. At that age I would have been petrified to play in front of 20K fans.

Big Bruva
07-21-2008, 08:43 AM
He makes good runs, pressures defenders making sure they have less time than they would want, challenges in the air, composed finisher and has a lot of confidence and a good attitude.

All of the above at age 16, i would say he is the real deal judging by what i have seen so far. He could be a very good player.

trane
07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
^ I agree, I am just worried that it is all too much for him at this age, he does not need the pressure he needs time to develope.

nimamalek
07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
He needs to stay on his feet...he goes down a bit too easily.

Family troubles. He has family in the area, and was struggling away from them.

We got him in exchange for a conditional draft pick.

thats my only issue with him, he goes does very easily, and unlike Geuvara who embelishes real fouls, he goes down everytime he feels any touch

Big Bruva
07-21-2008, 10:22 AM
^ I agree, I am just worried that it is all too much for him at this age, he does not need the pressure he needs time to develope.

Very good point.

The only concern is that he could get burnt out coz he should not be playing 90 mins on a regular basis right now

Rawkus_420
07-21-2008, 10:44 AM
As long as he puts those few years in the MLS with Toronto, then I dont care, a kid his age with his ability, will undoubtedly be in Europe one day...unless we sign him as DP down the road for a lengthy deal???what would you think of that!, provided he does turn into a monster.

LucaGol
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I thought this was a thread about Zlatan Ibrahimovic for a second.

Yes, Ibrahim is the real deal...that is assuming he's actually 16 and not 22.

jloome
07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
I thought this was a thread about Zlatan Ibrahimovic for a second.

Yes, Ibrahim is the real deal...that is assuming he's actually 16 and not 22.

They said that about Freddy Adu, too, and Sports Illustrated actually went over to ghana (or whichever country he's from, can't remember) and found his birth certificate, proving he was 14 when he signed.

Ethiopian newspaper has reported him as 16 as well, although that doesn't mean it's any more accurate, I guess. Hard to fool people these days with this kindof stuff though; 9/11 has made identity fraud much more difficult with respect to immigration (even though it's rampant in every other field).

rocker
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
if Ibby is 22 he's still a better prospect than Lombardo and Smith.

AL-MO
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
He has shown some promise, but I hope them bring him along slowly so as to not stunt his development...

pele
07-21-2008, 10:58 PM
YES AI is the real deal

Pearce321
07-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Ibee scored in his debut....and he started last game and had some decent chances. I don't think his confidence is getting "kicked in the ass" any time soon.

pele
07-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Ibee will have an Impact today

TFCREDNWHITE
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Ibee has some great technical ability! Ibee needs to be in growth mode. Carver needs to make sure Ibee gets a lot of sunlight, proper nutrition, plenty of water so that he can grow big, colorful and strong! These are very critical moments in Ibees career right now. You can't have a 16/17 yr old play all 90mins all the time! He needs to be eased into maybe as a super-sub or something. One thing that i do like is all the experience that Ibee will gain from all this playing time he has received lately. Carver needs to cradle him and baby him a bit while longer.

RedsYNWA
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
The kid dives me no like

ExiledRed
07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
^^ Also , with any luck, each year we keep him MLS will become a stronger more lucrative league and there will be less incentive to leave for mediocre clubs abroad.

trane
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
The kid dives me no like

I get were you are comming from, but as long as he stops doing the obvious flops, most world class strikers, will go down in the box, when they lose posession and/or there is contact. Unfortunalty it is part of the game and it can result in many goals durring a career. The point is you may not like it, but it can produce results.