PDA

View Full Version : Vanney to TFC Academy

Damien
11-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Is this the end of Rongen?

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?5094-Sources-Vanney-to-lead-TFC-Academy

DigzTFC!
11-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Queue the De Vos hate! He's not Canadian. The "there's plenty of Canadian's qualified for this position speech".

Initial B
11-29-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm assuming that Vanney plays the same style as Nelsen? Perhaps Rongen was too 4-3-3 for Nelsen's tastes.

Leedsoronto
11-29-2013, 04:13 PM
The academy play using wing backs at the mo. The wingers drift into a striker roll.

Maybe Vanney is looking to spread the play wide and use the speed of the wingers? It's a wayvthatcthe team can service a player like Defoe or any incoming striker, playing through the middle is oh so limited IMO.

Defoe type player up front and a Lennon or Walcott wide team mate would be an improvement

ag futbol
11-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Queue the De Vos hate! He's not Canadian. The "there's plenty of Canadian's qualified for this position speech".
I normally take a pass on those, but this time I'm more than willing to pile on. TFC needs somebody in that position with a better knowledge of how soccer works here. This is not an easy environment to navigate. There are qualified people here who I would be relatively certain have a similar technical capability to Vanney but a much superior understanding of the soccer scene in southern ontario.

GM / coach / etc... I'd argue there isn't a guy around who can fit the bill. Those that are "options" are normally underwhelming or old and tired.

Leedsoronto
11-29-2013, 04:51 PM
A 2010 Q & A

http://m.ussoccer.com/news/coaching-education/2010/03/questions-and-answers-with-greg-vanney.aspx

TFC Cityboy
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Oh, he was part of that successful Chivas side of 2012....seems like a perfect fit

tfcleeds
11-29-2013, 05:20 PM
So if we're bringing in people from the Galaxy organization, why can't Leiweke do the obvious thing and just bring in Arena while he's at it?

Yohan
11-29-2013, 05:34 PM
So if we're bringing in people from the Galaxy organization, why can't Leiweke do the obvious thing and just bring in Arena while he's at it?
well, Arena only cost 1 mil per year. I'd imagine compensation would have to be paid to LA, if they give permission at all. Sigi is about about 700k.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/56914605-68/kreis-coach-rsl-hansen.html.csp

denime
11-30-2013, 06:57 AM
I normally take a pass on those, but this time I'm more than willing to pile on. TFC needs somebody in that position with a better knowledge of how soccer works here. This is not an easy environment to navigate. There are qualified people here who I would be relatively certain have a similar technical capability to Vanney but a much superior understanding of the soccer scene in southern ontario.

GM / coach / etc... I'd argue there isn't a guy around who can fit the bill. Those that are "options" are normally underwhelming or old and tired.

Disagree with you on some points here.

Players development has nothing to do how soccer works here.If soccer was working here at all,we would be now looking forward to WC2014.

Academy need non North American coaches,since academy is all about development and NA coaches have zero success when it comes to that.What NA coach will develop is reckless players who runs around like headless chicken(something people in NA like a lot),in the meantime rest of the world works on skills and tactics and pulling away from us on a daily basis.

Academy need qulified coaches outisde of GTA/ON,coaches without agendas,coaches who will bring in boys based on skill instead of boys from their old REP teams.

How is switching from 433 to 442 back to 433 and now back to 442 again helps young boys to develop,they are confused enough by simply being teens,now you start playing with their already limited tactical knowledge,bad idea,academy need more stability then 1st team.

BuSaPuNk
11-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Players development has nothing to do how soccer works here.If soccer was working here at all,we would be now looking forward to WC2014.

Academy need non North American coaches,since academy is all about development and NA coaches have zero success when it comes to that.What NA coach will develop is reckless players who runs around like headless chicken(something people in NA like a lot),in the meantime rest of the world works on skills and tactics and pulling away from us on a daily basis.

Academy need qulified coaches outisde of GTA/ON,coaches without agendas,coaches who will bring in boys based on skill instead of boys from their old REP teams.

How is switching from 433 to 442 back to 433 and now back to 442 again helps young boys to develop,they are confused enough by simply being teens,now you start playing with their already limited tactical knowledge,bad idea,academy need more stability then 1st team.

And I disagree with you D. Think the more the boys play different styles and formations they learn the different requirements of there position. The best way for them to be ready for any manager with there own tactical way of doing things.

Now going back and forth all the time probably isn't good. But I think Dichio with the senior team was going between a 4-4-3 and a traditional 4-4-2.

Leedsoronto
11-30-2013, 11:22 AM
4-4-3 is cheating yeh

ag futbol
11-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Re: the bolded statement: I disagree with this on most levels. It’s one of the major reasons why Aron Winter failed he showed up here. His understanding of football is much, much better than the majority of coaches in MLS, but his ability to impart it on others was limited by large cultural differences / poor communication skills. Also, let’s not forget that TFCA continues to have major levels of talent slippage in their own backyard.

Not every youth coach in Ontario has an agenda that runs contrary to the operations of this club. The formation thing is a red herring. Most teams play multiple formations and change them frequently within games. It’s not a rigid as it is often described on these forums. What’s more important is your idea of football overall and your ability to build technical ability and tactical awareness in your kids.

denime
11-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Re: the bolded statement: I disagree with this on most levels. It’s one of the major reasons why Aron Winter failed he showed up here. His understanding of football is much, much better than the majority of coaches in MLS, but his ability to impart it on others was limited by large cultural differences / poor communication skills. Also, let’s not forget that TFCA continues to have major levels of talent slippage in their own backyard.

Not every youth coach in Ontario has an agenda that runs contrary to the operations of this club. The formation thing is a red herring. Most teams play multiple formations and change them frequently within games. It’s not a rigid as it is often described on these forums. What’s more important is your idea of football overall and your ability to build technical ability and tactical awareness in your kids.

Aples and oranges,Winter failed with 1st team and how academy trains has nothing to do with it.

Problem with every coach different formation is very difficult for boys,I know for fact that this year couple of boys who were prompted to play year up withing academy where 100 % lost,their movement and responsibility on same position was different like night and day,boys were lost it took them months to adapt to movement off the ball and so on,just to get sent back to their own age since they couldn't adopt fast enough since season was going on ,ridiculous.

All team from U10 to senior academy should play same formation,(that's how academies with successful programs like Barcelona,Ajax,Bayern,etc),now when you bring younger talented player up,he knows exactly what to do and what his job is in that position.

There are some good coaches in GTA,but none of them wants to work for TFCA.

ag futbol
11-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Aples and oranges,Winter failed with 1st team and how academy trains has nothing to do with it.
Not at all. Communication and understanding the environment are commonalities regardless of the backdrop.

Problem with every coach different formation is very difficult for boys,I know for fact that this year couple of boys who were prompted to play year up withing academy where 100 % lost,their movement and responsibility on same position was different like night and day,boys were lost it took them months to adapt to movement off the ball and so on,just to get sent back to their own age since they couldn't adopt fast enough since season was going on ,ridiculous.
That speaks to me about the quality of the training they are receiving, not where they line up on the pitch. Players need to be adaptable.

All team from U10 to senior academy should play same formation,(that's how academies with successful programs like Barcelona,Ajax,Bayern,etc),now when you bring younger talented player up,he knows exactly what to do and what his job is in that position.This is often said, but it's far too romantic. In their acadamies, there is a strong sense of continuity and a high level of expertise. They train their kids to be versatile. It's not about always lining up in the same places.

There are some good coaches in GTA,but none of them wants to work for TFCA.
Well that's hard to really speculate on, because TFC never actually makes an attempt to hire those who are qualified. I would hope it would be something they are committed to changing and fully believe they have the resources to make it happen if they wanted to.

moralis
11-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Maybe Thomas Ronegn isn't leaving TFC like Rollins wrote:

A. Totera ‏@4totera (https://twitter.com/4totera) 5h (https://twitter.com/4totera/status/406863180233588736) Settling In at League1 meeting many interested people including TFC-Rongen @24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute)

https://twitter.com/4totera/status/406863180233588736

https://twitter.com/4totera