PDA

View Full Version : MLS Combine/Superdraft 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Yohan
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Means very little to TFC as we don't have a 1st rd pick in 2014 draft, but still worth keeping an eye on. TFC does have 2 picks in 2nd rd. The superdraft will take place 16 Jan.

First mock draft from mlssoccer.com
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/11/20/mock-draft-v10-mls-campus-peers-crystal-ball-two-months-out

Red CB Toronto
11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Can we get a RPB roadtrip to Philly for the Superdraft. We could all take the bus down, it is a Mega Bus route. Lets do it.

Ivy
11-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Can we get a RPB roadtrip to Philly for the Superdraft. We could all take the bus down, it is a Mega Bus route. Lets do it.
Hmmmmm... Food for thought sir. Sounds like an interesting idea.

prizby
11-21-2013, 01:21 AM
we don't have a 1st round pick, the draft is on a weekday, and it is not like we will be getting our saviour from this draft anyways

Initial B
11-21-2013, 02:15 PM
You can still get decent picks in the second round. Heck, Plata came out of the supplemental draft.

Sullivan
11-21-2013, 02:21 PM
we don't have a 1st round pick, the draft is on a weekday, and it is not like we will be getting our saviour from this draft anyways

Thursday the 16th, 11:00AM.
Sounds like there will be more than a handful of "internationals" at the combine, I'm hearing 6.
Plus, MLS also hosting a special combine in Antigua the week before the NCAA combine.
Any influx of internationals always bumps some solid college players down the board.

TFC tracking someone from Indiana, they're in Akron for tonight's match. Popular opinion is AJ Corrado, an AM (he's a more skilled version of Sam Cronin).
Any other club seeking an AM, is also tracking this kid.

Results from this week's games determine the final 8, which means Gen A recruiting will pick up next week.

I was part of a conversation with some folks from Texas, we were talking Dallas Cup, but I think I overheard that TFC might have another pick, a conditional from FC Dallas as part of the Hassili deal.

prizby
11-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Thursday the 16th, 11:00AM.
Sounds like there will be more than a handful of "internationals" at the combine, I'm hearing 6.
Plus, MLS also hosting a special combine in Antigua the week before the NCAA combine.
Any influx of internationals always bumps some solid college players down the board.

TFC tracking someone from Indiana, they're in Akron for tonight's match. Popular opinion is AJ Corrado, an AM (he's a more skilled version of Sam Cronin).
Any other club seeking an AM, is also tracking this kid.

Results from this week's games determine the final 8, which means Gen A recruiting will pick up next week.

I was part of a conversation with some folks from Texas, we were talking Dallas Cup, but I think I overheard that TFC might have another pick, a conditional from FC Dallas as part of the Hassili deal.

college kids don't get bumped down due to internationals...internationals aren't anywhere near as valuable because of their status

the Caribbean thing is a joke...if you are a half decent player in the Caribbean, you are already at a US College if you haven't found your way to Europe; I highly doubt there will be much to choose from except slip 4th round supplemental draft pickings at that combine

as far as I know the hassli pick was conditional; 1st if he did well (he didn't), so 2nd; and we have our natural 2nd I believe, we were suppose to have houston's 2nd from the sturgis deal, but i think that was converted into an international roster slot

Sullivan
11-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Hmmmmm... Food for thought sir. Sounds like an interesting idea.

If you're a coach, the draft is part of the NSCAA annual convention. Great way to spend a weekend.
http://www.nscaa.com/convention
The exhibit hall is a big draw, as is the 4-aside tournament on Saturday night, gotta register early, limited spots and they go fast. Free beer.

I've been going to these conventions since 1990. Always a good time, great way to build a network.

Ivy
11-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Free to attend?

TFC07
11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
So who's going number one this draft?

Tee Ef See
11-22-2013, 12:50 PM
college kids don't get bumped down due to internationals...internationals aren't anywhere near as valuable because of their status

the Caribbean thing is a joke...if you are a half decent player in the Caribbean, you are already at a US College if you haven't found your way to Europe; I highly doubt there will be much to choose from except slip 4th round supplemental draft pickings at that combine

as far as I know the hassli pick was conditional; 1st if he did well (he didn't), so 2nd; and we have our natural 2nd I believe, we were suppose to have houston's 2nd from the sturgis deal, but i think that was converted into an international roster slot

How is it a joke? A lot of kids don't get exposed enough to get recruited...anywhere! A lot of kids/clubs don't have enough money to promote their own youth players too.

This is another chance for teams to notice players and why the hell not. Nothing to lose. Clubs are able to scout a player they probably have never heard of before and god forbid a player or two might be picked up. What a joke!

prizby
11-22-2013, 05:43 PM
How is it a joke? A lot of kids don't get exposed enough to get recruited...anywhere! A lot of kids/clubs don't have enough money to promote their own youth players too.

This is another chance for teams to notice players and why the hell not. Nothing to lose. Clubs are able to scout a player they probably have never heard of before and god forbid a player or two might be picked up. What a joke!

if they are good enough to be given an invite to the Caribbean combine (meaning someone will have had to scout them and determine that), than that means someone will have already have seen them play before and already said no to them, whether it is one of their local clubs, an academy in Europe, or an NCAA D1 or D2 team.

lets see what happens at the draft in 2 months; i will put money on 0 superdraft picks being used to pick a Caribbean kid that went through this combine

Yohan
11-23-2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/11/draft-board-version.html

jloome
11-23-2013, 01:14 PM
if they are good enough to be given an invite to the Caribbean combine (meaning someone will have had to scout them and determine that), than that means someone will have already have seen them play before and already said no to them, whether it is one of their local clubs, an academy in Europe, or an NCAA D1 or D2 team.

lets see what happens at the draft in 2 months; i will put money on 0 superdraft picks being used to pick a Caribbean kid that went through this combine

I dunno, everyone missed Keon Daniel in Trinidad; he was signed out of the Trini leage to D2. It's not that uncommon. The pool there just isn't that large to begin with, so you might be right. But more and more kids in Jamaica and Trinidad are going into the local leagues as teens, which means they might at the very least be good for an academy spot or a D2 loanout.

Given how close they are, where's the harm? Personally, I'd prefer they focus on South America, as the Mexican League gets a lot of cheap young players by keeping an eye on various first and second divisions down there.

prizby
11-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I dunno, everyone missed Keon Daniel in Trinidad; he was signed out of the Trini leage to D2. It's not that uncommon. The pool there just isn't that large to begin with, so you might be right. But more and more kids in Jamaica and Trinidad are going into the local leagues as teens, which means they might at the very least be good for an academy spot or a D2 loanout.

Given how close they are, where's the harm? Personally, I'd prefer they focus on South America, as the Mexican League gets a lot of cheap young players by keeping an eye on various first and second divisions down there.

We are assuming that kids in the Trini/Jamaican league will then be participating in these combines...I was under the impression that it was a combine for unattached kids

JeVaughn Watson, Jermaine Taylor, and Lovel Palmer are the only other 3 to come from the Caribbean to the US (I didn't count the Cubans for obvious reasons)

Cordell Cato and Alvas Powell could also count, but they are both under 21 when they came here and obviously didn't need a combine to get into MLS

on top of that, 1 other Caribbean player is an MLS academy grad, 6 came via Europe, and 9 came via the NCAA.

TFC07
11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/11/draft-board-version.html

Cyle Larin? Who's this player? Another Sigma FC product potentially going top 10 in MLS draft.

jloome
12-01-2013, 03:10 AM
If you're a coach, the draft is part of the NSCAA annual convention. Great way to spend a weekend.
http://www.nscaa.com/convention
The exhibit hall is a big draw, as is the 4-aside tournament on Saturday night, gotta register early, limited spots and they go fast. Free beer.

I've been going to these conventions since 1990. Always a good time, great way to build a network.

Always respect your NCAA knowledge. What do you think of Mac Pridham, the Cal Poly kid born in Ontario? He's big, played target

Detroit_TFC
12-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Free to attend?

The SuperDraft is open to public, the NSCAA convention has a registration fee. I went last year and paid by the day because there were some workshops I wanted to attend, one of which was on the MLS player signing process that was led by our new GM. Paying for registration gives you access to the vendor hall too, which is a hoot.

One good reason to go is that some of the supporter summit activity usually done at MLS Cup is going to be moved to the Super Draft. Sons of Ben are organizing supporter events at the Philly convention.

I'm planning on going if I can pull the funds together.

Sullivan
12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Always respect your NCAA knowledge. What do you think of Mac Pridham, the Cal Poly kid born in Ontario? He's big, played target

Thanks.
Don't know much about Pridham, other than he was on the Hermann watch list released in August & that he played u20 for Canada.
Emailed a few contacts with PAC12 insight, and UCLA folks just hate him. He scores a lot of dirty goals, regularly.
He's not afraid to run at defenders or the rough stuff, he'll challenge a keeper every time.
Couple of people compared him to DCU's Chris Pontius, but stronger.
I didn't know he spent part of his summer training with TFC, so I'm guessing that he's the west coast kid Dichio has been tracking.
With Cal Poly not making the tournament, that lack of extra exposure isn't going to hurt him, MLS clubs know him so he'll certainly be watched at the combine.
He is a dual citizen, so born in Canada isn't going to be a problem for the American clubs.
Consensus has him drafted before TFC's 2nd round pick.

Sullivan
12-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Bit more info on the Canadian kid at UConn, Cyle Larin.

I was at the OSA centre in Vaughan earlier tonight, spoke to a local guy who "says" Cyle turned down Gen A offer for 2014.
He just finished his 1st yr. at UConn, family has a desire that he gets an education to fall back on.
I have no idea how close to the situation the local guy is, but in the past he's been accurate more times than wrong with
regard to where kids end up going to school.

He's from Brampton, born in 95. Came through Sigma FC, a quality academy.
One of the positives I hear about him is his willingness to listen & learn.

Big drawback for his development is he's at UConn.
This is a program that relies heavily on the players, and their raw skill & talent.
Not a lot of development (ie compared to Maryland or Notre Dame) goes on within this program (ie O'Brian White, Julius James).
Coach is more of a recruiter, bringing in "3-4 pieces each year", rather than take the time to develop players.

TFC07
12-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Bit more info on the Canadian kid at UConn, Cyle Larin.

I was at the OSA centre in Vaughan earlier tonight, spoke to a local guy who "says" Cyle turned down Gen A offer for 2014.
He just finished his 1st yr. at UConn, family has a desire that he gets an education to fall back on.
I have no idea how close to the situation the local guy is, but in the past he's been accurate more times than wrong with
regard to where kids end up going to school.

He's from Brampton, born in 95. Came through Sigma FC, a quality academy.
One of the positives I hear about him is his willingness to listen & learn.

Big drawback for his development is he's at UConn.
This is a program that relies heavily on the players, and their raw skill & talent.
Not a lot of development (ie compared to Maryland or Notre Dame) goes on within this program (ie O'Brian White, Julius James).
Coach is more of a recruiter, bringing in "3-4 pieces each year", rather than take the time to develop players.

Bad career move on Larin's part. School will always be there unlike professional sports where one injury can kill your chances of becoming a professional footballer making decent money.

As for UConn comment: This is where I prefer academy over NCAA where you can personally develop your own players instead of relaying on someone else do that for you. Drafting overage rookies isn't the way to go or at least in Toronto's case. However, Toronto needs under 23 team playing in NASL or USL to develop players who aren't ready for first team though.

Sullivan
12-11-2013, 03:28 PM
MLS announces initial player combine list
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mls-announces-initial-player-combine-list_aid32238

Sullivan
12-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Notre Dame beat Maryland 2-1 on Sunday to win the Div 1 championship. Very good game, but bloody cold.
During the weekend, we heard TFC coaches were often around Notre Dame coaches.
Not unusual given that Nelsen played for current Notre Dame coach and former Scotland/Aberdeen keeper Bobby Clarke, when both were at Stanford.
With the acquisition of NYRB's 1st round pick, 15th overall - we're speculating that TFC could be hoping
that Grant van de Casteele might still be available. He's a CB, and could easily transition to FB.
We learned that van de Casteele and Harrison Shipp made huge impressions on TFC staff when Notre Dame trained at the KIA facility last winter.
van de Casteels is smooth, was always in the right position v New Mexico (semi final) & v Maryland, he was impressive. Very smart player.

Sullivan
12-17-2013, 11:26 PM
24 players invited to first MLS Caribbean player combine

"Set to take place from Jan. 2-4 in St. John, Antigua & Barbuda, the combine will offer the players, ranging from 18-to-24-years old,
a chance to make it to the MLS Player Combine from Jan. 10-14 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Nearly all of the players set for the combine
have earned caps for their senior national teams"

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/12/16/mls-invites-24-players-16-countries-first-ever-caribbean-player-combine

Red CB Toronto
12-18-2013, 02:06 AM
The SuperDraft is open to public, the NSCAA convention has a registration fee. I went last year and paid by the day because there were some workshops I wanted to attend, one of which was on the MLS player signing process that was led by our new GM. Paying for registration gives you access to the vendor hall too, which is a hoot.

One good reason to go is that some of the supporter summit activity usually done at MLS Cup is going to be moved to the Super Draft. Sons of Ben are organizing supporter events at the Philly convention.

I'm planning on going if I can pull the funds together.

I am going to be in Philly for the draft, heading down for Wednesday and Thursday. Likely pick up a day pass for the convention and check it out. Never been before, so picked up a return mega bus ticket and looking forward to it. So at least there will be some TFC support and hopefully more as people decide if they can pull it off.

The 76ers and Flyers are also playing so think I will pick up some cheap tix for those too.

Sullivan
12-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I am going to be in Philly for the draft, heading down for Wednesday and Thursday. Likely pick up a day pass for the convention and check it out.

Wednesday & Thursday are typically association meetings, which are limited to members, so not a lot happening, but there are some sessions, lectures & presentations.

Schedule: http://www.nscaa.com/convention/schedule

Thursday is draft day - 11:00 am in the Grand Ballroom.

I don't think an NSCAA registration will save you much for a 2-day stay, but maybe others thinking of staying longer, cheapest registration
for the convention is youth coach category, registration gets you discounted hotel & convention access.

The exhibit hall doesn't open till 7:00pm on Thursday, which is the Grand Opening, no big deal really.

On Wednesday, 7:30pm, Tony DiCicco leads a technical session for keepers, "Technical Tactical Training for Goalkeepers".
DiCicco is an excellent clinician, and a quality coach. He's working with u11-u14s.
If you're coaching or have an interest in keepers, this is one to see.

Robin Fraser is delivering a session at 3:45 on Thursday. He's an interesting clinician.
Over the year's, he's had some really good sessions, but it really depends on the quality of players that are made available to him.
Fraser is NYRB AC, his topic is, "Dictating the Game Without The Ball: Collective Organization For Recovery of The Ball"
An ambitious topic, especially if he's working with younger players.
Sometimes you get ODP calibre players, other times, it's a committee member's own team. Huge disparity in skills.

Across the street from the convention centre is a Food Market, lots of choices, good portions, decent prices.

Travel safe, enjoy the visit.

Red CB Toronto
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
The draft is my main interest, so that is why I chose those days. Can not really stick around for the Supporters Party on Saturday night anyways. I looked at the schedule and some things caught my interest, we will see, maybe I will see if I stick around until Friday.

One of my favourite bars is just a stone's throw from the convention center, McGillans Old Ale House which is always good for a great time.

Wednesday & Thursday are typically association meetings, which are limited to members, so not a lot happening, but there are some sessions, lectures & presentations.

Schedule: http://www.nscaa.com/convention/schedule

Thursday is draft day - 11:00 am in the Grand Ballroom.

I don't think an NSCAA registration will save you much for a 2-day stay, but maybe others thinking of staying longer, cheapest registration
for the convention is youth coach category, registration gets you discounted hotel & convention access.

The exhibit hall doesn't open till 7:00pm on Thursday, which is the Grand Opening, no big deal really.

On Wednesday, 7:30pm, Tony DiCicco leads a technical session for keepers, "Technical Tactical Training for Goalkeepers".
DiCicco is an excellent clinician, and a quality coach. He's working with u11-u14s.
If you're coaching or have an interest in keepers, this is one to see.

Robin Fraser is delivering a session at 3:45 on Thursday. He's an interesting clinician.
Over the year's, he's had some really good sessions, but it really depends on the quality of players that are made available to him.
Fraser is NYRB AC, his topic is, "Dictating the Game Without The Ball: Collective Organization For Recovery of The Ball"
An ambitious topic, especially if he's working with younger players.
Sometimes you get ODP calibre players, other times, it's a committee member's own team. Huge disparity in skills.

Across the street from the convention centre is a Food Market, lots of choices, good portions, decent prices.

Travel safe, enjoy the visit.

Yohan
01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/02/major-league-soccer-signs-four-generation-adidas-deals-captures-two-nations-

4 players signed to GA, plus 2 more Canadians at the Combine

Sullivan
01-02-2014, 07:42 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/02/major-league-soccer-signs-four-generation-adidas-deals-captures-two-nations-

4 players signed to GA

My comments about players in italics
Asked my usual cast of characters for some insight, here's some of it...

UCONN GK Andre Blake - (Jamaican U-17 and U-20 teams)
I didn't see him play in 2013; last year, twice. Very smooth. Commands his box.
Big (6'4") and athletic.
Lot of NCAA coaches think he's better than MacMath.

Louisville MF Marlon Hairston.
I've heard 2 things: he's a box-to-box MD; and GenA means no FC Dallas homegrown claim.
I have nothing else to offer on this player.

Creighton D Eric Miller (USA Under 20)
I have nothing to add on this player.
Played right back with U20s - CB at Creighton.
Makes good decisions, and makes them early. Nice first touch, not a kick and run kid.
Lot of potential, every one who sees him, likes the way he plays.
Biggest knock, no mean streak.

Maryland F Schillo Tshuma - (Zimbabwe National Team U-17, U20)
Seen him a few times, bit surprised at this signing.
Quick, always wants the ball.
He plays off of Mullins which opens a bit more space for him.
Makes decisions early. Nice first touch, but he tends to run
into situations where he's outnumbered and out muscled.
Gets frustrated and shows it.

The Zadro kid played youth for Mississauga Dixie 89's. That was a fun youth team to watch.
Lot of collective natural skill on a single youth team.
Pretty sure they won a couple of Ontario Cups.

Yohan
01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
My comments about players in italics
Asked my usual cast of characters for some insight, here's some of it...

UCONN GK Andre Blake - (Jamaican U-17 and U-20 teams)
I didn't see him play in 2013; last year, twice. Very smooth. Commands his box.
Big (6'4") and athletic.
Lot of NCAA coaches think he's better than MacMath.

Louisville MF Marlon Hairston.
I've heard 2 things: he's a box-to-box MD; and GenA means no FC Dallas homegrown claim.
I have nothing else to offer on this player.

Creighton D Eric Miller (USA Under 20)
I have nothing to add on this player.
Played right back with U20s - CB at Creighton.
Makes good decisions, and makes them early. Nice first touch, not a kick and run kid.
Lot of potential, every one who sees him, likes the way he plays.
Biggest knock, no mean streak.

Maryland F Schillo Tshuma - (Zimbabwe National Team U-17, U20)
Seen him a few times, bit surprised at this signing.
Quick, always wants the ball.
He plays off of Mullins which opens a bit more space for him.
Makes decisions early. Nice first touch, but he tends to run
into situations where he's outnumbered and out muscled.
Gets frustrated and shows it.
thanks for this.

do you have any comments on 2 Canadians that called up to the Combine, Akindele and Zadro? Seems rather out of blue invites, more to fill in spots or something, and not worth anything more than a 4th rd pick

Sullivan
01-02-2014, 08:45 PM
thanks for this.

do you have any comments on 2 Canadians that called up to the Combine, Akindele and Zadro? Seems rather out of blue invites, more to fill in spots or something, and not worth anything more than a 4th rd pick

Out of the blue sums it up.
Good to see NAIA and D2s making the list, but not so sure if these are the right NAIA & D2 invitees.
Big difference between D1 and D2/NAIA level of play.

Nothing back on Akindele, he's a western conference D2 guy so not a lot of people in my network have anything to offer.
On Zadro, I remember the 89 Dixie team, but not any individual player.
Zadro, according to my son (D1 ass't coach) heard TFC asked for him to be invited, but that source not always reliable. -- 4th rounder?
Another bit on Zadro, he's been described as a bit chippy, he doesn't shy away from the heavy going.

As I get more info, I'll share it.

Here's something else, unrelated but related to GenA.

According to Ives Galarcep, UCLA M Leo Stolz turned his GenA offer down. Too bad, he'd be fun to watch if he plays MLS. The concern is
he'll head back to Germany when his education is finished. Stolz is a Hermann award finalist and PAC12 Player of the Year.

The 3 MAC Hermann finalists are:
2012 MAC Hermann winner, Maryland senior forward Patrick Mullins, Notre Dame senior forward Harrison Shipp, and Stolz.

The MAC Hermann Trophy is the NCAA version of Player Of The Year.
It will be awarded January 10, 2014.

Detroit_TFC
01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Univ of Michigan MF Fabio Villas Pereira. Played for Detroit City FC last summer, exciting player. Brazilian, not sure of his US citizenship status. Wasn't part of the initial combine announcement but just recently added. Could see him getting picked by somebody in 2nd round probably.

Sullivan
01-03-2014, 10:10 PM
In talking with the usual cast of characters, I asked them to provide 2 players that could be available at 15, and why they
should be selected. Here’s our summary of Five Players we envision on TFC's short list for consideration with 15th pick.

Grant Van De Casteele, Notre Dame, Centreback
Pedigree - he's been under the guidance of Bobby Clarke for 4 years.
Notre Dame has a good program for preparing MLS players. Nelsen has a lot of respect for Clarke and his program.
Would blossom under the tutelage of Caldwell & Nelsen. Has size, skill, very smart player.
Downside, every other club came away impressed by his play in college cup final.

If Michigan State CB, Kevin Cope is available, and I doubt it, excellent value for a 15th pick.
He's MLS ready. Described as a born leader, captain of every team he's ever played on. Natural athlete, shuts everyone down.
Heart of the back line, almost like having a coach out there. Good teammate. Hard nosed player, on the ground, and in the air.
Big Ten Tournament Defensive MVP, in which he played with cracked ribs.

Jared Watts, Wake Forest, Defensive Midfielder
Captain of US u17 Nigeria world Cup team.
Same program Sam Cronin came from; Wake has a reputation for developing MLS players. Good size, nice touch, likes to get
stuck in. All ACC team, 3 times - best conference in NCAA. Would add depth. Don't see him available at 15, but if he is, good value.

Kyle Venter, New Mexico, Centreback
Remember Andrew Boyens? - same school.
He's 6'3", solid and durable. He's not ready to step in, but here's another kid that would could add depth and benefit
greatly from the influence of Caldwell & Nelsen. Football wise, he's got more to offer than say Pat Phelan or Julius James.

Joey Dillon, Georgetown, Defensive Midfielder
Big reason for Georgetown's success, 1 of their captains. He's a leader. Offers versatility, can play D or M, natural position is defensive midfielder.
Good football IQ, gets into position early. Never quits. He reminds me of bigger version of Sam Cronin, but more defensive minded and
more physical.

AdamAM
01-04-2014, 03:40 AM
Toronto FC are going to package their 15th pick and a bunch of allocation for a top 3 pick.... reverse Draft 2013...... I can feel it.

jloome
01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Toronto FC are going to package their 15th pick and a bunch of allocation for a top 3 pick.... reverse Draft 2013...... I can feel it.

I dunno... the best player as far as I can tell is probably Cyle Larin and he isn't even going to sign with MLS. I look at the various boards, the stats for the associated players and the level of scouting excitement, and I don't think we should trade jack.

Take what we get at 15. In this draft it's a crapshoot as to whether any team gets immediate help.

AdamAM
01-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I dunno... the best player as far as I can tell is probably Cyle Larin and he isn't even going to sign with MLS. I look at the various boards, the stats for the associated players and the level of scouting excitement, and I don't think we should trade jack.

Take what we get at 15. In this draft it's a crapshoot as to whether any team gets immediate help.

I've been hearing about a lot of quality defenders in this draft, and we don't really have a 4th CB yet. I know it'd be better to look in MLS for a 3rd/4th CB but if we can find a guy with maturity and leadership qualities who can play CB or a standout RB who'd be better than Bloom/Richter why not trade up and take one of them?

jloome
01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I've been hearing about a lot of quality defenders in this draft, and we don't really have a 4th CB yet. I know it'd be better to look in MLS for a 3rd/4th CB but if we can find a guy with maturity and leadership qualities who can play CB or a standout RB who'd be better than Bloom/Richter why not trade up and take one of them?

I don't see anyone in this draft who's going to unseat Doneil, who may still not be ready for prime time but has several years of pro experience now and is doing well for his age. With Morrow signed now (he can play centrally even though he's smaller) maybe we could afford to offload Boss for a fullback; again though, there's not many in this draft who are day-in and out starters.

Yohan
01-08-2014, 12:19 PM
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-adds-three-players-2014-generation-adidas-class

More info on GA, late combine invites

jloome
01-09-2014, 02:55 AM
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-adds-three-players-2014-generation-adidas-class

More info on GA, late combine invites

Well, that probably determines the first three picks then, as GAs almost always go top and Dean, Miller and Blake are all pretty close to being pro ready by a lot of accounts. There's some suggestion that D.C. sees Mullin as a Pontius type who'll surprise when he steps up to the next level but if you can get a player without a cap hit who can start even semi-regularly, you've gotta figure...

Still can't believe we didn't take Manneh last year.

spark
01-09-2014, 09:16 PM
ENBSports released his Top 25 PROSPECTS (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2013/2014MLSSuperDraftTop25Prospects.aspx) heading into the combine/superdraft

Note this is not a mock draft, which will come after the combine.

Chinatownchef
01-10-2014, 10:13 PM

How about Laba, the 15th pick and allocation for one of the top three? Clears the DP problem, knocks 200k off the books and gets us a player we can use rightaway. Btw it's probably a Defender or Midfielder.

notthesun
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
How about Laba, the 15th pick and allocation for one of the top three? Clears the DP problem, knocks 200k off the books and gets us a player we can use rightaway. Btw it's probably a Defender or Midfielder.

That would be absolute highway robbery for any team we made that deal with. High 1st round SuperDraft picks are valuable, but they're not solid gold like in, say, the NHL. Laba is worth a high pick and an MLS starter alone, to start.

Chinatownchef
01-12-2014, 07:57 PM
That would be absolute highway robbery for any team we made that deal with. High 1st round SuperDraft picks are valuable, but they're not solid gold like in, say, the NHL. Laba is worth a high pick and an MLS starter alone, to start.

That's true Laba is bona fide MLS starter. I'm sure the BEZ will figure out a way to keep him, talented as he is. I wonder how much of the coaching staff are still in Toronto for the Press conference, if any? Most of them have to be down in Fort Lauderdale to do combine interviews. Will Nelsen be in T.O. to greet Defoe and Bradley, or will he be down there? Is he going to just leave Greg, Fran, Jason and Jimmy to handle things? Personally, I would blame them if the entire press-conference took place in Fort Lauderdale. For Defoe and Bradley.

mcolvy
01-12-2014, 08:04 PM
To be honest, this Laba thing is pretty debatable. Is it worth taking up cap room that we probably could fill more team needs with in order to buy him down? Is Laba worth that or can we do something else with that money. Do we even care or is it okay to over spend a little to keep a known commodity that will only get better?

Personally, I would rather get him than to add another Morrow or Jackson, along with another CM replacement (at what ill presume to be around 200k). I think starting at tomorrows event we need to band together in support of keeping Laba.
They will be listening. He is one of the only good things about last year and we need to keep him going. Whos in?

Chinatownchef
01-13-2014, 08:04 PM

Top 10 player, offensive player of the year wicked shot and fast feet. He's Canadian, if he's around by 15 you can be sure TFC will take him. There are others though that TFC might be interested. Personally Pedro Ribeiro Midfielder, he's a hulking player with an extremely dangerous shot. I'm also like Mamadou Diouf, but I think that's kind of what the Whitecaps would most likely draft.

mcolvy
01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Top 10 player, offensive player of the year wicked shot and fast feet. He's Canadian, if he's around by 15 you can be sure TFC will take him. There are others though that TFC might be interested. Personally Pedro Ribeiro Midfielder, he's a hulking player with an extremely dangerous shot. I'm also like Mamadou Diouf, but I think that's kind of what the Whitecaps would most likely draft.

This draft has too many attacking midfielders and attackers who don't have a primary position. I don't like those selections, like with Silva years back. They aren't that gifted technically. Moreover, these psuedo-strikers piss me off because they haven't even refined their craft by age 22. Those positions are dangerous because some of these kids will never fully develop into specialists in specific areas of the game and just get left on the bench as useless utility. Look at Wenger. Unless the kid is especially dynamic, its just sort of what you get. The Bekker style.

Defensive options are the way to go. Less risk. More reward. These guys are use to playing against athletes and need only to develop the soccer IQ, which can come with being introduced to a professional soccer environment. They tend to have trouble with the fancier, talented guys in the league, but generally can be useful as they develop.

This draft has a ton of CB, RB options and I am pretty sure we will be exploring them. Imagine if we picked up Farrell last year. Absolutely ridiculous.

spark
01-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Aaron Nielsen had his top 25 prospects, but also runs through the draft position by position 2014 MLS SuperDraft breakdown by position (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2014/2014MLSSuperDraftbreakdownbyposition.aspx)

Pridham is mentioned, but there are quite a few attacking options ahead of him.

Yohan
01-14-2014, 07:47 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/14/superdraft-meet-tesho-akindele-revelation-2014-adidas-mls-player-combine

This kid might be worth a 2nd rd pick, if he's still available

RealG-TFC
01-14-2014, 08:08 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/14/superdraft-meet-tesho-akindele-revelation-2014-adidas-mls-player-combine

He must have some brains if was studying electrical engineering.

Alonso
01-14-2014, 11:46 PM
^^^^

Another article on him here: http://www.westerlynews.ca/world-sports/calgary-born-forward-tesho-akindele-heads-to-mls-combine-in-florida-1.783943

jloome
01-15-2014, 12:19 AM

He wasn't so great in his final game but he made several allegedly blue-chip prospects look dumb during the first two, including alleged first pick overall Christian Dean.

If he can beat guys on the dribble and finishes "clinically", as his college coach claims, maybe we should take a flyer on him with 15. For all those defensive prospects, probably only Birnbaum and Eric Miller could start right away or regularly in MLS. But we could use a good winger with a scoring nose.

flamehawk
01-15-2014, 12:26 AM
He wasn't so great in his final game but he made several allegedly blue-chip prospects look dumb during the first two, including alleged first pick overall Christian Dean.

If he can beat guys on the dribble and finishes "clinically", as his college coach claims, maybe we should take a flyer on him with 15. For all those defensive prospects, probably only Birnbaum and Eric Miller could start right away or regularly in MLS. But we could use a good winger with a scoring nose.

Any clue how Zadro did? Curious considering apparently TFC asked him to be invited.

Yohan
01-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Any clue how Zadro did? Curious considering apparently TFC asked him to be invited.
scored a goal in day 3, but Ives doesn't think he'll get drafted

Canary10
01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I have two names for eveyone: Eric Miller and Joey Dillon. Miller would be first choice, but either will do a job for us.

reggie
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I think they want a gen adidas player,or they will trade the pick..

Chinatownchef
01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
scored a goal in day 3, but Ives doesn't think he'll get drafted
Zadro, good technical ability in that kid. There a highlight of him scoring a last minute goal in Wisconsin. Might develop one day into MLS-sub, goal poacher if given a chance. I wonder if TFC will be convinced to spend the 2nd round supplemental pick. Tesho, the Calgary kid has a nose for the goal when given a chance. Both would be pretty decent choices in the late rounds.

Chinatownchef
01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
This draft has too many attacking midfielders and attackers who don't have a primary position. I don't like those selections, like with Silva years back. They aren't that gifted technically. Moreover, these psuedo-strikers piss me off because they haven't even refined their craft by age 22. Those positions are dangerous because some of these kids will never fully develop into specialists in specific areas of the game and just get left on the bench as useless utility. Look at Wenger. Unless the kid is especially dynamic, its just sort of what you get. The Bekker style.

Defensive options are the way to go. Less risk. More reward. These guys are use to playing against athletes and need only to develop the soccer IQ, which can come with being introduced to a professional soccer environment. They tend to have trouble with the fancier, talented guys in the league, but generally can be useful as they develop.

This draft has a ton of CB, RB options and I am pretty sure we will be exploring them. Imagine if we picked up Farrell last year. Absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, totally agree with you on that ridiculous part. Kevin Payne really botched the draft last year for the sake of obtaining allocation money, no offense to Kyle Bekker and Welshman, Andrew Farrell was a given selection. For the 15th selection, they should do like the Nonis and the Leafs, hold pat and take your pick unless something good comes along that makes you move up.

OgtheDim
01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
All depends on what that allocation did. If not getting Farrell is the price you pay to get enough stuff to rid us of Hassli's DP status, then you pull that deal.

Initial B
01-15-2014, 04:25 PM
What about getting Kyle Venter? I thought we were more worried about the lack of CB depth than right back.

gracos
01-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Looking at our Roster makeup; can we find a RM in this draft this year, so we can free up an international roster spot; both of our RMs are internationals in Lambe, and Rey. We also have no natural LMs on our team, and our RB position is in need of improvement as players are bench depth at best (excluding Eckersley who is more than likely going to be bought out as his contract is too big). CB needs a few depth players to be adequate. Just some of my thoughts looking at the TFC Superdraft preview

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/...next-superclub (http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/15/toronto-fc-superdraft-preview-reds-are-looking-build-next-superclub)

jloome
01-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Looking at our Roster makeup; can we find a RM in this draft this year, so we can free up an international roster spot; both of our RMs are internationals in Lambe, and Rey. We also have no natural LMs on our team, and our RB position is in need of improvement as players are bench depth at best (excluding Eckersley who is more than likely going to be bought out as his contract is too big). CB needs a few depth players to be adequate. Just some of my thoughts looking at the TFC Superdraft preview

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/...next-superclub (http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/15/toronto-fc-superdraft-preview-reds-are-looking-build-next-superclub)

Too early to call Bloom bench depth. He performed pretty well last year. But it sure wouldn't hurt to have a "can't miss" player in that position. I assume as a primarily defensive player Jackson is an option; Eric Miller is the best prospect apparently, but he's not ready to step in and start, which puts him older and further back than our two existing options (Three? is Richter still with TFC?).

There were so few decent fullbacks available at the combine, they had players out of position in five of eight slots.

Venter seems a possibility. He recovered from an ankle injury and was one of the talks of the combine for his aerial presence and backline leadership.

I'm betting we draft Akindele with the first pick, though. Although he's an unknown, if you look at his profile story on mlssoccer.com., he was heavily, heavily wooed by clubs in MLS academies for several years, and by bigger schools in division one, but turned them down to get an electrical engineering degree. And he can allegedly cross a ball while also beating guys on the dribble, so wide might be a good role for him.

khso11
01-16-2014, 01:01 AM
Tim B talks about the superdraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUp_ENItP8

Probably a small part of the Season 2 AllforOne

mowe
01-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Interesting interview, I guess we'll know what he feels are the positional needs of this team by the player he drafts. But I have a hard time seeing them pass on a GA player if one is available.

PopePouri
01-16-2014, 01:30 AM
I think so. General consensus is that this draft is piss poor. Might as well grab a guy who doesn't count to the cap and will be depth.

TFC07
01-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Hopefully we can make a trade by trading our picks and plus a player (Agboss?) for proven MLS player.

T-boy
01-16-2014, 08:55 AM
It's hard to get excited for today with only the 15th pick (damn you Mariner!) - BUT the way Tim B works, I can imagine that we might come out of the day with either allocation, or a player/pick swap or something else. I don't really see TFC going for a plain old "pick 15".

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Twellman just reported live that D.C. is going to trade the first overall pick to Philly for some package including allocation money.

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Goff says DCU taking DF Steve Birnbaum w/ #2 pick.

Phi take GK Andre Blake 1st overall

Yohan
01-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Andre Blake #1.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Andre Blake goes #1 to Philly. Zac Macmath sweating already.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Birnbaum #2, DC

Yohan
01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Christian Dean #3, Van

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Caps take Df Christian Dean... another D off the board for TFC

Canary10
01-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Christian Dean #3, Van

I don't like that pick. Will never work out.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
New England's 4th pick traded for Dallas' 5th and allocation

edit: False alarm looks like. Twellman a bit too quick on breaking this one

Oldtimer
Official SuperDraft tracker here:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/tracker

Sweeper
Why did Philly trade for first spot with DC? Did they think DC was going take a GK?

Sweeper
01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
It will be interesting to see what Christian Dean does early in his MLS career. Hassli trade makes me nauseous every time I think about it.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Steve Neumann 4th to New England, apparently they pulled out of the trade at the last second when it was known Dallas was going to take Neumann.

Phil
01-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Why did Philly trade for first spot with DC? Did they think DC was going take a GK?

Possibly Vancouver were making a play on the pick to get the same player.

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Possibly Vancouver were making a play on the pick to get the same player.

Twellman apparently said Van was close to trading up to #1.

EDIT: Goff says Dallas was trying to get #1 as well, and that all 3 teams wanted Blake.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Montreal and Dallas trade picks. Montreal takes Eric Miller 5th. Top fullback in the draft.

pdubs
01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
limpact

Canary10
01-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Shit, great pick for Montreal. Eric Miller will be good for them.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Still not sure what Montreal gave up besides their pick to move up. Guessing allocation though.

edit: Twellman says allocation and an international roster spot.

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Shit, great pick for Montreal. Eric Miller will be good for them.

Would have been best option for TFC (but no way he dropped to 15th)

... oh well. Now he'll waste away stuck behind Camara at Limpact

Canary10
01-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Would have been best option for TFC (but no way he dropped to 15th)

... oh well. Now he'll waste away stuck behind Camara at Limpact

Yup.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Tesho Akindele to Dallas

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
TFC Players following the Draft.

Ryan Richter is apparently there, and tweeting out support for some NCAA buddies.
Bendik tweeting about a keeper going 1st overall.

Nice to see some guys engaged in what's going on around the league!

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Dallas swaps the 10th pick they just got from Montreal for Philadelphia's 6th pick and takes Tesho Akindele.

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Caps take mf Andre Lewis

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Whitecaps takes Andre Lewis at 7th. From Jamaica.

gdg_9
01-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Pretty surprised Mullins is still available... wonder how far he'll fall?

notthesun
01-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Sounders take G.A. defender Damion Lowe at #8.

Initial B
01-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Crap, all the defenders are being taken off the list. There's not going to be anything left for TFC to fill their defensive holes with.

There's also going to be no GA players left so whoever we get is going to count against the cap, which might make it harder to keep Laba.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
San Jose takes J.J. Koval 9th. Defensive midfielder.

Ultra & Proud
01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Crap, all the defenders are being taken off the list. There's not going to be anything left for TFC to fill their defensive holes with.

There's also going to be no GA players left so whoever we get is going to count against the cap, which might make it harder to keep Laba.
Not necessarily. If nothing good is available then you sign whoever and release them before roster compliance. Generally anyone drafted that low would fill our 20+ roster spots that don't count against the cap anyway.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
TFC trades with Philly for #10 pick. takes defender Nick Hagglund

Pint
Nick Hagglund to TFC. Traded up to #10 to get the player

Initial B
What!? Hagglund!? trading up to get him!?

Well, in Bez we trust...

OgtheDim
01-16-2014, 01:07 PM
BOOM

barticusz
The Union have traded the No. 10 pick to Toronto FC. TFC takes Nick Hagglund. One of the more impressive centerbacks at the Combine.

notthesun
Hagglund is a CB who apparently had a good combine.

edit: We sent allocation and 15th pick to Philadelphia for this pick.

pdubs
Ryan nelson look alike aha

ag futbol
Tesho Akindele to Dallas
Wow, talk about boosting your stock over a week.

Canary10
01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Great pic. Nick from Cincinnati. As average a name as you'll find. Like it very much.

Shway
01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Hagglund is a CB who apparently had a good combine.

edit: We sent allocation and 15th pick to Philadelphia for this pick.

you mean allocation that could have been used to pay down Laba's cap hit

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Two things:

1. Agbossoumonde on his way out?
2. We're trading allocation which I think may confirm my suspicion we won't be using it to pay down Laba's contract. Some other shenanigans going on there (or we have a ridiculous amount of allocation money)

TFC07
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Kind of hard to get excited with that pick. Traded allocation money to move up 5 spots? What does this pick mean to Agboss and Henry?

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Revolution trades their 12th for Coloado's 11th and takes Patrick Mullins. Mullins dropped a bit today.

pdubs
01-16-2014, 01:13 PM
we drafted a need so I like it. Don't know anything about the player tho. Will be interesting to hear the pundits opinion.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Kind of hard to get excited with that pick. Traded allocation money to move up 5 spots? What does this pick mean to Agboss and Henry?

Henry totally safe, Boss not so much

Canary10
01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Henry totally safe, Boss not so much

We need four centre halves.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Colorado takes G.A. mid Marlon Hairston at 12th.

ArmenJBX
01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
There is no reason to believe Agbossoumonde is out. Every club should have minimum four centre backs. We now have four. We were understaffed in that position, and now we're at a minimum.

OgtheDim
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking this draftee will be playing in Wilmington. Expecting a depth CB signing.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
I'm wondering if we might still make a deal for a CB before the season starts, and if we do Boss would be the guy to go.

Marco Franco 13th to Chicago.

reggie
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking this draftee will be playing in Wilmington. Expecting a depth CB signing.

Wilmington?

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
LB Ben Sweat 14th to Columbus. Defense heavy draft so far.

15th: AM Pedro Ribeiro to Philadelphia.

16th: CB A.J. Cochrane to Houston.

17th: G.A. forward Schillo Tshuma to Portland.

OgtheDim
01-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Wilmington?

Rumoured USL affiliate

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
LB Ben Sweat 14th to Columbus. Defense heavy draft so far.

15th: Pedro Ribeiro to Philadelphia.

He'll be starting in Philly before the end of the season. Everyone says Birnbaum is the most ready to play, but my money is on this guy.

tfcmanu
Nick Hagglund
Defender

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/player_profile_headshot/players/head-shots/Hagglund%2C%20Nick.JPG

Current Club: Toronto FC
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 187 lbs.
Birth Date:09-14-1992
Birthplace: Cincinnati, OH

HOW ACQUIRED: Selected with the No. 10 pick in the 2014 SuperDraft
COACHES' BREAKDOWN: Nick Hagglund is what you get when you combine extreme athleticism good defensive technique. Described as "a monster" to deal with, the Ohio native is a solid, physical player who wins every ball that comes near him. Far from being a thug, however, Hagglund has the skill to actually take over possession, and has good enough feet that he can make the outlet pass either short or long. With his pace, Hagglund is very difficult to beat

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/nick_hagglund_650205.html

jloome
A.J. Cochrane to Houston at 16.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 01:32 PM
He'll be starting in Philly before the end of the season. Everyone says Birnbaum is the most ready to play, but my money is on this guy.
it's like dealing with a playmaking statue. hard to push him off the ball

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:33 PM
it's like dealing with a playmaking statue. hard to push him off the ball

LOL. Dude is a monster

OgtheDim
01-16-2014, 01:33 PM
RN went blond since Monday?

zamperina
01-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Rumoured USL affiliate

Apparently TFC will be allowed to loan 4 players to Wilmington.

TFC07
01-16-2014, 01:34 PM
RN went blond since Monday?
LOL

Only reason why he got drafted while losing some allocation money in process.

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
I believe your can only have 4 players up with your affiliate club in are case this would be Wilmington.

reggie
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
these clowns on ESPN...are unwatchable

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Zamperina...u beat me 2 it

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/player_profile_headshot/players/head-shots/Hagglund%2C%20Nick.JPG https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShvXxMIV4w9T5HY_eZheBKcSrRHXvDu V7IkHzc5tfDX3rA0y0h (http://www.therock.net.nz/Ryan-Nelson-Interview/tabid/838/articleID/9756/Default.aspx)

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/player_profile_headshot/players/head-shots/Hagglund%2C%20Nick.JPG https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShvXxMIV4w9T5HY_eZheBKcSrRHXvDu V7IkHzc5tfDX3rA0y0h (http://www.therock.net.nz/Ryan-Nelson-Interview/tabid/838/articleID/9756/Default.aspx)

mowe
01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Don't know anything about college soccer, hope this kid works out. They must have really liked him to trade up.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Ryan Neil 18th to RSL.

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Have to assume we're looking for a fullback prospect next, or a wide player. Pity about Akindele going so early.

dantdot
01-16-2014, 01:42 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Nelsen clone overlord.

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
So far, Philly is killing this thing.

tfcleeds
01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Looking like RN is one thing - if he ends up playing like him, I guess that's a good thing.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
19th and last 1st round pick, Colorado takes defender Grant Van de Casteele.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 01:45 PM
So far, Philly is killing this thing.
yeah. taking a page out of Kevin Payne's playbook, trading down for allocation while picking up good players

C.Ronaldo
01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
holy shit. he drafted a clone

does the Mrs's know about this

MartinUtd
01-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I wonder if he'll see any minutes. Bekker got 335 in MLS, Welshman 5 minutes. Funny enough, our 2nd round pick last year was traded for Jeremy Hall who has played almost 4000 minutes across two seasons.

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Maybe we take Jason Plumhoff if he's still available? Explosive wide player.

gracos
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
If Kyle Venter is available do we select him??

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Everyone keeps thanking this savior guy, but Andre Blake gets picked first.

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:58 PM
If Kyle Venter is available do we select him??

Nah, redundant at this point.

jloome
01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
LOL, how addicted to MLS am I? I'm actually watching all the little player interviews in which they say nothing.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
LOL, how addicted to MLS am I? I'm actually watching all the little player interviews in which they say nothing.

If it makes you feel better im having a fit because my internet connection is lagging and im not able to see said interviews/draft

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Mullins went too low. They're wrong about him not being good enough to be a striker at the next level.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
If it makes you feel better im having a fit because my internet connection is lagging and im not able to see said interviews/draft
Dude, ouch. Bad timing.

Fort York Redcoat
01-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Nelsen clone overlord.

Well said.

Sidenote: Great av plus location combo.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Tshuma was a good pickup by Portland. Speed and good feet, quick release, and only three forwards ahead of him. But they play a 433, so he can go wide, too. Smart Porterball player.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Thomas McNamara at 20 to Chivas. The Chivas rebirth continu... er, maybe not.
Jimmy Ockford at 21 to seattle.

Anyone heard of either of these guys?

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 02:08 PM
TFC up

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Next guy will look like Bez

gracos
01-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Diouf or Wojcik??

Red CB Toronto
01-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Interesting pick, kid still needs to sign a contract. Will be interesting to see if he has it soon or will Bez make him earn it in the pre-season?

notthesun
01-16-2014, 02:12 PM
TFC takes midfielder Daniel Lovitz at 24th overall.

Oldtimer
01-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the SuperClub Daniel!

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Shit, that's a GREAT pickup if he stays healthy. He missed the combine and a lot of people were expecting him to really show there but he strained his knee or something. Naturally left-footed winger who beats guys on the dribble and has a big engine.

EDIT: Highlights: http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/01/09/mls-superdraft-daniel-lovitz-midfielder-elon

Pint
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
#23 peterson? anyone else see him listed in our reserves

ag futbol
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Looks like the left foot NCAA version of Alvaro Rey

pdubs
01-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Jason Saghini ‏@JasonSaghini (https://twitter.com/JasonSaghini) 2m (https://twitter.com/JasonSaghini/status/423895431710380032) Love that pick for @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) - Exactly the player they wanted to add in the draft #SuperDraft (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SuperDraft&src=hash)

interesting

Kaz
01-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Anyone catch the Ryan Nelson Clone interview?

Initial B
01-16-2014, 02:18 PM
We needed a winger, but they say he's not a pacey as some others. At least we've upgraded our centre defence and flank, so let's hope Bez has some more pick-ups in the offering.

The guy reviewing TFC doesn't know what he's talking about. They won't be playing a diamond 4-4-2 and Laba is not an AM.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Looks like the left foot NCAA version of Alvaro Rey

Yeah, very much. A bit smaller and quicker but exactly that kind of player. He's not explosive into space but he's smart.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Philly gets Kevin Cope. Officially winning the draft now.

tfcmanu
01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Daniel Lovitz 0
Midfielder

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/player_profile_headshot/players/head-shots/COLLEGE_DanielLovitz%28FORMATTED%29.jpg

Current Club: Toronto FC
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Birth Date:08-27-1991
Birthplace: Wyndmoor, PA

WHAT COACHES SAY: "Great left foot to whip in service off the left wing ... Smooth and technical, can beat his man 1-v-1 to get service in ... Can deliver an accurate diagonal ball as well ... One of my favorite players in college this year. ... He's excellent. He runs, he's pacey, he's dynamic and can whip in left-footed crosses ... He's a left mid or left back in MLS ... Underrated ... He runs to the end line every time he gets it. Tries to beat people ... Right foot is also servicebable ... He's injured and expected to miss the combine with a meniscus but should be back in 4-6 weeks. He was playing at 80 percent this year ... He's got the character, balance.....

http://www.elonphoenix.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3108

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/01/09/mls-superdraft-daniel-lovitz-midfielder-elon

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2014, 02:24 PM
Dude, ouch. Bad timing.

The worst, at least got my modem working to its full potential now DURING THE SECOND ROUND

OgtheDim
01-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Hmm...Welshman or him? Not sure we need both down on the USL to back up Lambe backing up the left middie tandem of Osorio and DeRo.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:27 PM
The worst, at least got my modem working to its full potential now DURING THE SECOND ROUND

Your modem is the Andrew Boyens of this draft.

0bl1vious
01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Lovitz highlight reel

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/01/09/mls-superdraft-daniel-lovitz-midfielder-elon

gracos
01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
it seems like Toronto is done for the day

Ossington Mental Youth
01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Your modem is the Andrew Boyens of this draft.

More like the one legged Julius James

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
No one thinks Diouf will make it at the next level, I guess.

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
it seems like Toronto is done for the day

One more in the fourth round, number 60

gracos
01-16-2014, 02:33 PM
The 3rd & 4th rounds of the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, presented by adidas, will take place on Tuesday, January 21.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/tracker#second-round

jloome
01-16-2014, 02:35 PM
The 3rd & 4th rounds of the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, presented by adidas, will take place on Tuesday, January 21.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/tracker#second-round

Good point.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Alexi Lalas killing it on his predictions

GlenM
01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
One of the analysis remaining is our need of a 3rd DP.

I did some thinking about this.

I'm not sure if this would be an ideal DP, but an experienced journeyman GK.

Bendik has 1 yr experience, there's other GK's on the squad but think about it, we need a solid Veteran.

This would pay off in that a solid experienced Veteran could trade off skills and experience to him plus provide a much needed depth.

If Bendik gets injured who do we have to really fill the spot?

Roberts\Konopka?

What's everyone else think?

GlenM

Canary10
01-16-2014, 02:55 PM
^ I still think we need a third DP.

MartinUtd
01-16-2014, 02:57 PM
DP goalkeeper would be a huge waste of resources.

JonO
01-16-2014, 03:00 PM
^ I still think we need a third DP.
You can never have too many third DPs...

gracos
01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
I am confused by the trades of Hahnneman and Sturgis, we really havent recieved anything for them. I think this needs to improve, its pretty much like a team steals a player off of our club, and i dont think its right

OgtheDim
01-16-2014, 03:12 PM
I am confused by the trades of Hahnneman and Sturgis, we really havent recieved anything for them. I think this needs to improve, its pretty much like a team steals a player off of our club, and i dont think its right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A

Chinatownchef
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Daniel Lovitz - Midfielder

WHAT COACHES SAY: "Great left foot to whip in service off the left wing ... Smooth and technical, can beat his man 1-v-1 to get service in ... Can deliver an accurate diagonal ball as well ... One of my favorite players in college this year. ... He's excellent. He runs, he's pacey, he's dynamic and can whip in left-footed crosses ... He's a left mid or left back in MLS ... Underrated ... He runs to the end line every time he gets it. Tries to beat people ... Right foot is also servicebable ... He's injured and expected to miss the combine with a meniscus but should be back in 4-6 weeks. He was playing at 80 percent this year ... He's got the character, balance.....

If he had showed at the combine and had a decent showing, chances are he would've been picked in the top ten and out of reach for TFC. To me, this means Toronto has done their homework. Kudos TFC, luv what you are doing, keep picking like this in the supplemental draft on Tuesday. Hagglund was an outstanding pick, has a bit of Ryan Nelsen in him. I was right on who would be available @ 15 Pedro Riberio, and that Mamadiou would be snapped up by Whitecaps.

Yohan
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/nick-hagglund

mlssoccer.com scouting report on Hagglund

WestStandGeoff
01-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Is he any relation to Jon Lovitz?

Yohan
01-16-2014, 03:30 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/european-football-weekly/nick-hagglund-on-being-drafted-by-toronto-fc/

Fan 590 interview with Hagglund

MartinUtd
01-16-2014, 03:32 PM
He's got that squint

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/player_profile_headshot/players/head-shots/Hagglund%2C%20Nick.JPGhttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A3NIxlElTYc/S6JKfmuunpI/AAAAAAAACh8/oIcidoiMsGw/s400/taylor%2Blautner%2Bllama.jpg

jloome
01-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Is he any relation to Jon Lovitz?

Unfortunately Tommy Flanagan and the Master Thespian don't make for good nicknames.

WestStandGeoff
01-16-2014, 03:40 PM
No, but I was hoping his signature defensive move might pay homage to Wedgie Fever, one of my all-time favourite skits.

jloome
01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
I wonder if he'll see any minutes. Bekker got 335 in MLS, Welshman 5 minutes. Funny enough, our 2nd round pick last year was traded for Jeremy Hall who has played almost 4000 minutes across two seasons.

Including almost 280 minutes that were any good!

jloome
01-16-2014, 03:44 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/european-football-weekly/nick-hagglund-on-being-drafted-by-toronto-fc/

Fan 590 interview with Hagglund

"What do you think you can learn from Ryan Nelsen?"

"Absolutely everything."

I like the humility. Hope he's confident, too.

jloome
01-16-2014, 03:48 PM
We're officially a superclub:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/01/14/4543958/there-have-never-been-any-offers-for-xavi-insists-agent

"There has never been a formal proposal from another team for Xavi," his representative told Goal. "This has always been done through intermediaries, but no team has come with an offer.

"Who wouldn't want Xavi? It's normal for his age, for his quality. Today we hear it's Red Bulls, tomorrow they could decide that it's Toronto who want him, and the English media say it's Manchester City."

gracos
01-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Could we loan out top players with Wilmington(USL), and also have an affiliate with Ottawa(NASL) so we could call up prospects when the time allows, and then further the game in North America

jloome
01-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Could we loan out top players with Wilmington(USL), and also have an affiliate with Ottawa(NASL) so we could call up prospects when the time allows, and then further the game in North America

There's no requirement under FIFA regs to be affiliated in order to loan players, so sure, we absolutely could. We could loan players to FC Edmonton, too, unless their Whitecaps deal forbids it.

notthesun
01-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I know it's just an interview but man the kid really seems excited. Hopefully he'll pan out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Zyt0HWsVc

molenshtain
01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I think at this point it's safe to say Bez and TL are really making a conscious effort to only sign really good lookin' dudes.

ManUtd4ever
01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I know it's just an interview but man the kid really seems excited. Hopefully he'll pan out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Zyt0HWsVc

He seems genuinely over the top to have been drafted by TFC. It's nice to see.

Wince
01-16-2014, 08:25 PM
"Who wouldn't want Xavi? It's normal for his age, for his quality. Today we hear it's Red Bulls, tomorrow they could decide that it's Toronto who want him, and the English media say it's Manchester City."

We got mentioned in the same sentence as City!!!!

:scarf:

AdamAM
01-16-2014, 09:22 PM
I honestly think Nick is gonna be a really really solid centreback, or at least has the potential to be. With Nelsen being an expert on that position, I think he's got a really good eye and I think he saw something that not many other teams saw. Gonna be watching his development very carefully.

Shakes McQueen
01-16-2014, 09:33 PM
We're officially a superclub:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/01/14/4543958/there-have-never-been-any-offers-for-xavi-insists-agent

"There has never been a formal proposal from another team for Xavi," his representative told Goal. "This has always been done through intermediaries, but no team has come with an offer.

I know NYRB supporters have been all atwitter with expectations that NYRB were pushing hard for Xavi. Though funnily enough, the posts I did read mentioned they wish they could have signed Bradley instead. :D

Maybe TL can just sign more expensive Euros, and pay them to sit at home, so no one else can have them.

- Scott

flamehawk
01-17-2014, 12:18 AM
I was a little skeptical at first, but after seeing this, I think they may be on to something (I know highlight reels can be deceiving, but there's some prety good defensive plays there and he seems to have pretty good foot work for a cb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5riCgPHsJo

jloome
01-17-2014, 01:49 AM
I was a little skeptical at first, but after seeing this, I think they may be on to something (I know highlight reels can be deceiving, but there's some prety good defensive plays there and he seems to have pretty good foot work for a cb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5riCgPHsJo

He looks exciting, like potentially Doneil has a real challenge on his hands.

Ron Manager
01-17-2014, 10:13 AM
An exciting prospect for sure. Does anyone know how loans to a USL affiliate would look? Can we move players back and forth as roster needs dictate? USL seems like a good place for Hagglund and others to get some needed pro experience but could we call him back for 2 games for injury cover/int'l absence etc and then send him back? Kind of like NHL'ers assigned to the minors?
Just curious.

Yohan
01-17-2014, 10:18 AM
An exciting prospect for sure. Does anyone know how loans to a USL affiliate would look? Can we move players back and forth as roster needs dictate? USL seems like a good place for Hagglund and others to get some needed pro experience but could we call him back for 2 games for injury cover/int'l absence etc and then send him back? Kind of like NHL'ers assigned to the minors?
Just curious.yes. as long as domestic transfer window is open IIRC

Yohan
01-17-2014, 10:58 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-sports/xavier-university-sports/lakota-west-grad-and-xavier-standout-drafted-by-toronto-fc-with-10th-pick-of-mls-superdraft?

Local write up on Hagglund

Oldtimer
01-17-2014, 01:31 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-sports/xavier-university-sports/lakota-west-grad-and-xavier-standout-drafted-by-toronto-fc-with-10th-pick-of-mls-superdraft?

Local write up on Hagglund

Thanks for that. Given that he was in the Crew academy, I wonder why they didn't sign him? Well their loss is our gain.

"I love (Toronto). I actually went up there two years ago ... when I was with the Columbus Crew (Youth Academy), loved the city, he said. "And now it's a dream come true, to be able to play soccer in that city with all the excitement that's going on."

:puke:

Ron Manager
01-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for that. Given that he was in the Crew academy, I wonder why they didn't sign him? Well their loss is our gain.

:puke:

I hope it was an acrimonious split. It will make for a much easier adjustment for him if he already understands the need to hate the Crew.

hulkrogan
01-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Can someone explain the talk of a 3rd DP in this thread?

I thought we already had 4.....

Canary10
01-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Can someone explain the talk of a 3rd DP in this thread?

I thought we already had 4.....

ESPN listed one of our needs as a third DP when, as you said, we already have 4.

hulkrogan
01-17-2014, 02:07 PM
ESPN listed one of our needs as a third DP when, as you said, we already have 4.

Excellent. That's some top notch journalism.

Good thing TFC hasn't been in the news or anything lately, otherwise they'd have no excuse for such an oversight....

Canary10
01-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Excellent. That's some top notch journalism.

Good thing TFC hasn't been in the news or anything lately, otherwise they'd have no excuse for such an oversight....

Also said Jacob Petersen was one of our depth players.

hulkrogan
01-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Also said Jacob Petersen was one of our depth players.

Damn, now everyone will know we hired him to take down SKC from the inside.

It's really too bad I'm at work and was unable to catch this fine production. :lol:

Yohan
01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Toronto+trades+take+Xavier+defender+Nick+Hagglund/9395411/story.html

Hagglund is another converted striker to defender. I really hate NCAA training system.

MartinUtd
01-17-2014, 03:35 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Toronto+trades+take+Xavier+defender+Nick+Hagglund/9395411/story.html

Hagglund is another converted striker to defender. I really hate NCAA training system.

Was wondering what he was previously when he mentioned "I've only been playing CB for three years". Hopefully this means he's at least good with his feet.

PopePouri
01-17-2014, 04:26 PM
LOLCaps.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2014/01/17/4551561/first-round-mls-draft-pick-lewis-signs-with-cosmos?ICID=HP_BN_1

Canary10
01-17-2014, 04:27 PM
^ Ha beat me to it.

Apparently Vancouver's 7th pick Andre Lewis signed with the New York Cosmos. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Just keeps getting worse for the Whitecaps!

Fishnicker
01-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Food for thought - although I don't put a lot of stock in these metrics, dude does seem quick.

SPEED: 30-meter sprint
1. Taylor Peay (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/taylor-peay)* (Washington) 3.92 seconds
2. Adnan Gabeljic (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/adnan-gabeljic) (St. Louis) 3.92 seconds
3. Ryan Neil (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ryan-neil) (California) 3.93 seconds
4. Luca Gimenez (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/luca-gimenez) (Wake Forest) 3.95 seconds
5. Richie Marquez (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/richie-marquez) (Redlands) 3.96 seconds
6. Nick Hagglund (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/nick-hagglund) (Xavier) 3.99 seconds
7. Marlon Hairston (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/marlon-hairston) (Louisville) 4.00 seconds
8. Damion Lowe (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/damion-lowe) (Hartford) 4.01 seconds
9. Michael Calderon (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/michael-calderon) (New Mexico) 4.05 seconds
10. Tesho Akindele (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/tesho-akindele) (Colo. School of Mines) 4.07 seconds
AVERAGE: 4.19
* Peay is ranked above Gabeljic due to a better 10-meter split time.
AGILITY: 5-10-5
1. Ben Sweat (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ben-sweat) (South Florida) 4.16 secs
2. Tyler Gibson (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/tyler-gibson) (UNC-Charlotte) 4.19 seconds
3. Eric Miller (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/eric-miller) (Creighton) 4.23 seconds
4-t. Ryan Neil (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ryan-neil) (California) 4.25 seconds
4-t. Patrick Slogic (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/patrick-slogic) (Cornell) 4.25 seconds
4-t. Victor Chavez (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/victor-chavez) (Georgetown) 4.25 seconds
7. Steve Neumann (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/steve-neumann) (Georgetown) 4.26 seconds
8-t. Marlon Hairston (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/marlon-hairston) (Louisville) 4.27 seconds
8-t. Michael Calderon (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/michael-calderon) (New Mexico) 4.27 seconds
10. Thomas McNamara (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/thomas-mcnamara) (Clemson) 4.29 seconds
AVERAGE: 4.44
VERTICAL: Opta Jump
1. Rafael Diaz (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/rafael-diaz) (St. John's) 21.1"
2. Richie Marquez (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/richard-marquez) (Redlands) 20.5"
3. Reinaldo Brenes (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/reinaldo-brenes) (Akron) 20"
4. Marlon Hairston (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/marlon-hairston) (Louisville) 19.7"
5. Nikita Kotlov (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/nikita-kotlov) (Indiana) 19.4"
6. Kyle Renfro (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/kyle-renfro) (Virginia Tech) 18.8"
7-t. Nick Hagglund (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/nick-hagglund) (Xavier) 18.7"
7-t. Steve Birnbaum (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/steve-birnbaum) (California) 18.7"
7-t. Andre Blake (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/andre-blake) (Connecticut) 18.7"
10. Adnan Gabeljic (http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/adnan-gabeljic) (St. Louis) 18.6"
AVERAGE: 16.7 in.

Mark in Ottawa
01-17-2014, 04:45 PM

Could they have meant we need a third GK?

Mr. Bigby
01-17-2014, 06:11 PM
^ Ha beat me to it.

Apparently Vancouver's 7th pick Andre Lewis signed with the New York Cosmos. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Just keeps getting worse for the Whitecaps!

The only one I feel sorry for is Carl Robinson. He's too good a guy to deserve the shit storm he's taken on.

jloome
01-17-2014, 06:15 PM
The only one I feel sorry for is Carl Robinson. He's too good a guy to deserve the shit storm he's taken on.

Rennie's constant tinkering was bound to cause problems and then he has Lenarduzzi not getting Camilo a DP deal, and instead holding him to a final year after scoring 22 goals. Camilo's behavior isn't excusable but it is somewhat understandable.

But Robbo's already beloved out there; he'll turn it around (although hopefully not against us).

TFC07
01-17-2014, 06:15 PM
LOLCaps.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2014/01/17/4551561/first-round-mls-draft-pick-lewis-signs-with-cosmos?ICID=HP_BN_1

Vancouver management is worst in Canadian MLS history? Their off-season has been awful making TFC past management look like pros. We never had players ditch us the way we're seeing with Vancouver in this off-season. Can't find a coach who wants to come to Vancouver, lost your best player who baited on you in most disrespectful way and now having a draft kid choose NASL over you.

jloome
01-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Was wondering what he was previously when he mentioned "I've only been playing CB for three years". Hopefully this means he's at least good with his feet.

Watch his youtube package. Moving him to center half was a stroke of genius.

Detroit_TFC
01-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Vancouver management is worst in Canadian MLS history? Their off-season has been awful making TFC past management look like pros. We never had players ditch us the way we're seeing with Vancouver in this off-season. Can't find a coach who wants to come to Vancouver, lost your best player who baited on you in most disrespectful way and now having a draft kid choose NASL over you.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. May I refer you to the 350,000 posts here detailing our past issues?

TFC07
01-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. May I refer you to the 350,000 posts here detailing our past issues?

Name me one off-season where face this kind of drama. We never in one offseason faced this much silliness.

We never had a player drafted by us ditch us for NASL or had a player (MVP calibre player I might add who won golden boot award) who signed with another club while being under contract with us. How about having committee on hiring a new coach, but failed to get a coach and end up promoting an assistant coach as a new coach? Of course, how many players have they signed so far in off-season? How all this in one off-season only! This is huge meltdown going on with that club.

jloome
01-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Name me one off-season where face this kind of drama. We never in one offseason faced this much silliness.

We never had a player drafted by us ditch us for NASL or had a player (MVP calibre player I might add who won golden boot award) who signed with another club while being under contract with us.

No, but we had a draft pick (Lapira) sign in second division norway, which is the equivalent of the nasl. It's really tiny, like, crowds in the hundreds. And we had Joao Plata showing up in his old team's shirt.

If we'd ever had a Golden Boot-quality striker, he might have pulled some shenanigans and say made like he was sign... oh never mind.

Detroit_TFC
01-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Certainly not trying to diminish Wc's issues; they are some whoppers. Ours have been more in the nature of a constant stream of irritations until recently.

Shakes McQueen
01-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Vancouver are having a terrible off-season so far, but we are in absolutely no position to declare them the worst ANYTHING.

- Scott

JonO
01-18-2014, 11:46 AM
No, but we had a draft pick (Lapira) sign in second division norway, which is the equivalent of the nasl. It's really tiny, like, crowds in the hundreds.
Not really fair comparing a 7th overall pick to a third round pick who was widely anticipated to take a crack at Europe. Sure Lapira likely would have gone higher if there was a chance he would sign with MLS. TFC took a chance on that pick in case he decided to return to the league...

Edit: Also, the check signing display was not in the off-season. I would say the Celtic trial/non-trial fiasco would be a better comparison ;)

SoccMan2
01-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Wow so we have never had bad off-season, I think we have had many bad off-seasons worse or just as bad as the Whitecaps seem to be having this off-season, just from the fact of how many times we went into the season with a roster that was never close to being complete. An incomplete roster missing many pieces has been the norm for this club since the beginning a complete joke really for a pro organization to have gone into many seasons with so many pieces missing, might have been one of the reasons we have sucked for so many seasons. This year finally it looks like we are going into the season with an almost complete roster the way it should have always been going into the past seasons but then again with the clowns that were in charge before it was no surprise we were never ready once the season started.

Yohan
01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Rd 3 & 4 of Superdraft, 2pm

gdg_9
01-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Rd 3 & 4 of Superdraft, 2pm

Any chance we get someone even remotely useful, considering we only have pick #60?

The one player I could see us taking a flyer on is Mackenzie Pridham, but I'd be shocked to see him drop all the way down to 60.

gdg_9
01-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Shitecaps just traded pick #45 to the KKKrew for an Int'l Roster spot.

To be honest, I like that deal alot for Van.
If we could somehow manage to trade #60 for an Int'l spot, I'd be all for that! (although that might be a bit of a stretch)

An Int'l Spot is way more likely to be useful than any player you could get in Supplemental rounds, especially at #60.
That player would likely just come to camp and then get cut anyway.

OgtheDim
01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
That is a steal for the Caps.

And an indication that the Crew are once again not going to compete with most of MLS this year for off season replacements.

So much for the change in ownership bringing a new philosophy.

gdg_9
01-21-2014, 02:23 PM
And the Shitecaps just took Mackenzie Pridham at #58... 2 picks ahead of us!

Was the one player I had somewhat of an interest in us taking.

TFC takes Rutgers F Kene Eze at #60.

TFC Twitter quotes "Very elusive, he has tremendous pace"

RealG-TFC
01-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Looks like we picked up Kene Eze
http://m.mlssoccer.com/players/kene-eze

gracos
01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
I would be shocked to see any of these players make a start in the first year, the draft is over, and we have a lot of ammo for next year, if i believe im correct 4 1st round picks, lets hope for a solid draft class

Ossington Mental Youth
01-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Eze does it

Yohan
01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/22/superdraft-who-are-top-10-college-players-ahead-2015-draft

Some kids for 2015 draft

Wince
01-23-2014, 10:26 AM
What positions do we have in 2015?

T-boy
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
What positions do we have in 2015?

It depends on our end league position in 2014, so we won't know what pick positions we have until the end of this year.

Wooster_TFC
01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
It depends on our end league position in 2014, so we won't know what pick positions we have until the end of this year.

But we have something like 4 first rounders next year, don't we?

spark
01-24-2014, 12:18 PM
We have our own pick, a conditional one from Seattle from the Frei trade and the lowest one from Portland in the Urruti trade. I can remember what else we have/fourth. We also gave up second round picks to KC for Thomas and FCD for Jackson.

gracos
01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
We have our own pick, a conditional one from Seattle from the Frei trade and the lowest one from Portland in the Urruti trade. I can remember what else we have/fourth. We also gave up second round picks to KC for Thomas and FCD for Jackson.

The 4th pick was for allocation in the signing of Carlos Bocanegra, (CHIVAS USA)

Yohan
01-28-2014, 01:08 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/27/behind-scenes-mls-superdraft-philadelphia-union-word (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35029-MLS-Combine-Superdraft-2014/page9)

Good read on the behind the scene dealings from Philly's POV. TFC paid 50k to move up to 10th spot in the draft for Hagglund

Pint
01-28-2014, 01:12 AM
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35029-MLS-Combine-Superdraft-2014/page9

Good read on the behind the scene dealings from Philly's POV. TFC paid 50k to move up to 10th spot in the draft for Hagglund

you linked it to this thread... this page to be exact. I assume it's the wrong link

Yohan
01-28-2014, 01:26 AM
you linked it to this thread... this page to be exact. I assume it's the wrong link
oops!