PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Crew admit their logo/shield is garbage

Wagner
11-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Their new owner Precourt states they are really evaluating their horrible badge.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/11/08/columbus-crew-getting-a-new-look-for-2015/

Cashcleaner
11-08-2013, 10:49 PM
It IS garbage. Shitty name too. There's a lot of history in Columbus and Ohio the club could have drawn from to create their identity.

tfcleeds
11-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Columbus Crewe Alexandra?...;)

Yohan
11-09-2013, 10:14 AM
The new owner Precourt is ambitious and has a vision. Too early to tell whether he can transform Columbus Crew financially, but I do hope that he makes Columbus Crew a success. (but may they suck forever on the pitch...)

ManUtd4ever
11-09-2013, 12:30 PM
The new owner Precourt is ambitious and has a vision. Too early to tell whether he can transform Columbus Crew financially, but I do hope that he makes Columbus Crew a success. (but may they suck forever on the pitch...)

He's bang on. Columbus needs to rebrand as other MLS clubs have in the past. A new name and a new logo are an absolute must for that franchise.

OgtheDim
11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
a) The word Crew is so late 80's...unless you meet up with a gang that uses that word and smoke some crack during a #drunkenstupour.

b) About Precourt's move to use the city name in the logo: Columbus wants to become big time, like Cincinnati and Cleveland.

c) This reminds me of Stephen Leacock.

ag futbol
11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I can't remember the name of the company that does all the MLS logos and embroidery etc.. but my opinion of their work is not high.

A lot of it reminds me of minor league baseball / small-time outfits.

Beach_Red
11-09-2013, 01:36 PM
a) The word Crew is so late 80's...unless you meet up with a gang that uses that word and smoke some crack during a #drunkenstupour.

b) About Precourt's move to use the city name in the logo: Columbus wants to become big time, like Cincinnati and Cleveland.

c) This reminds me of Stephen Leacock.

Good one.

Redcoe15
11-09-2013, 06:57 PM
He's bang on. Columbus needs to rebrand as other MLS clubs have in the past. A new name and a new logo are an absolute must for that franchise.

Columbus Pisstains would work well for me. Their shield could look like an unclean urinal. :devil:

razor787
11-12-2013, 12:35 AM
I can't remember the name of the company that does all the MLS logos and embroidery etc.. but my opinion of their work is not high.

A lot of it reminds me of minor league baseball / small-time outfits.

Agreed. When we first got the leaf print jersey I picked one up at the stadium on game day. Got home, looked at the sleeve and the MLS patch was upside down. I debated on returning it, but ended up keeping it. Good conversation piece haha.

Oldtimer
11-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I hope the new owner doesn't just change the terrible logo, but also shakes up the FO and do what they can to make the stadium more welcoming to all and lose their terrible xenophobe reputation. Maybe then people might want to actually visit there for a game.

Of course, it's still has the disadvantage of being in Columbus, one can't overcome that without moving the team (might be a good idea to consider it).

Suds
11-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Smart move by the owner and even smarter to take his time. Maybe because I'm not from there, but neither the name or the badge make me envision Columbus or Ohio. He would be smart to move to something that better identifies the city or state and the people there. Anything that moves away from the old North American naming conventions for teams would be a good move forward.

Yohan
11-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Smart move by the owner and even smarter to take his time. Maybe because I'm not from there, but neither the name or the badge make me envision Columbus or Ohio. He would be smart to move to something that better identifies the city or state and the people there. Anything that moves away from the old North American naming conventions for teams would be a good move forward.
not a requirement to be a success in MLS

Beach_Red
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM

This pretty much sums up the whole MLS dilemma. Appeal to Americans without using American conventions. Going to be very difficult.

TOBOR !
11-12-2013, 10:41 AM
This pretty much sums up the whole MLS dilemma. Appeal to Americans without using American conventions. Going to be very difficult.

I like the examples of Indy Eleven, Virginia Cavalry and Philadelphia Union. Great names, US themed, drawn from historical / local references. Let's see more of this.

Super
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Columbus Shitheads.

Oldtimer
11-12-2013, 01:10 PM
I like the examples of Indy Eleven, Virginia Cavalry and Philadelphia Union. Great names, US themed, drawn from historical / local references. Let's see more of this.

New England Revolution.

OgtheDim
11-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I hope the new owner doesn't just change the terrible logo, but also shakes up the FO and do what they can to make the stadium more welcoming to all and lose their terrible xenophobe reputation. Maybe then people might want to actually visit there for a game.

The interesting thing is they are centrally located for most teams in the East and are a doable road trip for everybody but Houston. Do it right, and the team and their environs could be making a shitload of money off of 200-2000 away supporters every couple of weeks. Every supporter group would bring their A game, and the atmosphere would be rocking.

Too much thinking outside the box though. North American home teams don't see the potential in away fans.

Cashcleaner
11-13-2013, 03:04 AM
^ I always remain astounded by that very fact. The league and clubs seem far too preoccupied worrying about the potential bad behaviour of away fans - they just don't see the upside to having hundreds of fans showing a certain level of loyalty toward their respective clubs and injecting some more revenue into stadium box offices and the local economy.