11-01-2013, 10:36 PM
http://soccer.si.com/2013/11/01/alessandro-nesta-montreal-impact-coach/

Wahl reporting this.

Richard
11-01-2013, 10:44 PM
That is truly hilarious.

SoccMan2
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I guess this is the new trend in the MLS sign former players who have never coached before.

Super
11-01-2013, 11:12 PM
I guess this is the new trend in the MLS sign former players who have never coached before.

You're right about that. Still, it might not be too terrible a decision. He at least played at the club, and he's well respected by the team. Former captain. Knows the city now, and the city knows him. Similar advantages were had by Kreis. Nelsen is a different situation. He came here fresh.

mowe
11-01-2013, 11:32 PM
I thought Nelson was a terrible hire and I think the same for this.

Canadian MLS teams just don't give a shit.

jazzy
11-01-2013, 11:49 PM
I thought Nelson was a terrible hire and I think the same for this.

Canadian MLS teams just don't give a shit.

not at all . Nelson has done his job with the horrible situation given him . BUT this next season is when he will HAVE to coach! It's now or never for him . Still think, he'll be the GM with a new field coach sometime anyway. Our new GM is more cost analyst, a la Billy Bean, rather than procurer of players .

razor787
11-02-2013, 12:10 AM
If he's not head coach next season, he will be an assistant or gone. He wants to be a coach, not a scout.

Haddy
11-02-2013, 12:11 AM
You're right about that. Still, it might not be too terrible a decision. He at least played at the club, and he's well respected by the team. Former captain. Knows the city now, and the city knows him. Similar advantages were had by Kreis. Nelsen is a different situation. He came here fresh.

More importantly, imagine the list of friends Nesta has to call on to supplement the quality of the team. Not to mention the amount of respect he has earned across the football world. Coaching experience or not.

ManUtd4ever
11-02-2013, 07:52 AM
LOL. Montreal is following our lead with respect to ill advised managerial decisions.

gracos
11-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Its kind of funny that Toronto FC is the only team in Canada who isnt going to change their coach, at least that is up to now

prizby
11-02-2013, 08:21 AM
i can't wait for john molinaro to praise this head coach change

tfcleeds
11-02-2013, 08:41 AM
I see Joey S. decided to go to the TFC School of Managerial Appointments.

OgtheDim
11-02-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if this was the plan all along. Most coaches are not brought in on a one year contract. And Nesta's wages were really really low for who he is.

Of course, this being Joey Saputo, who knows what the heck he is thinking, but I could see him promising Nesta the managerial position on a higher wage in exchange for fitting well into the salary cap of the team for one season.

denime
11-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I see Joey S. decided to go to the TFC School of Managerial Appointments.

LOL I thought about that myself,and to be honest with you I have no problem with that.I wish them all we went trough since 2007.:hump:

ensco
11-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if this was the plan all along. Most coaches are not brought in on a one year contract. And Nesta's wages were really really low for who he is.

Of course, this being Joey Saputo, who knows what the heck he is thinking, but I could see him promising Nesta the managerial position on a higher wage in exchange for fitting well into the salary cap of the team for one season.

Interesting theory. That is plausible.

SoccMan2
11-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Why are we thinking John Molinaro will praise this coaching hire?

Whoop
11-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Molinaro has an affinity for Saputo and the Montreal Impact.

Having said that, he's not keen on the hire.

Though many aren't believing the rumour despite the fact that Grant Wahl is pretty credible.

Fort York Redcoat
11-02-2013, 09:48 AM
i can't wait for john molinaro to praise this head coach change

Why are we thinking John Molinaro will praise this coaching hire?

The implication is that there will be bias for Nesta that was not present with the Nelsen hire.

ag futbol
11-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I'd say that's a pretty important distinction when comparing young managers. But still not a huge fan of this recent trend. They got very lucky with Kreis and are using an exceptional candidate to make a run of shaky, inexpensive hires (not that Nesta counts as inexpensive).

Super
11-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Actually Molinaro spoke out against the hire. He said it seemed desperate.

Super
11-02-2013, 01:27 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)14h (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/396486362670436352)
Nesta is one of the greatest defenders of his generation. But I have to say, this reeks of desperation from the Impact.

Initial B
11-02-2013, 01:37 PM
You know, Duane Rollins might be right about Saputo not being able to stop himself from meddling in the team. I hope he doesn't make the same mistakes as TFC did. I don't think their attendance could survive it.

BuSaPuNk
11-02-2013, 02:08 PM
You know, Duane Rollins might be right about Saputo not being able to stop himself from meddling in the team. I hope he doesn't make the same mistakes as TFC did. I don't think their attendance could survive it.

Yep made the same argument to some people before. Montreal if they slipped and fell to a bottom team would drop in attendance worse then us. And the majority wouldn't come back.

prizby
11-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Actually Molinaro spoke out against the hire. He said it seemed desperate.

but he hasn't called out montreal management like he did Toronto's

ag futbol
11-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Yep made the same argument to some people before. Montreal if they slipped and fell to a bottom team would drop in attendance worse then us. And the majority wouldn't come back.
It's a Habs town, otherwise it's about the hot hand. Even the Canadians, things move around depending on their fortunes.

They'd come back, but they'd also leave quickly if they start losing.

ag futbol
11-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Well they did make the playoffs and have a long way to go to pass us in the ineptitude department.

BuSaPuNk
11-02-2013, 03:33 PM
It's a Habs town, otherwise it's about the hot hand. Even the Canadians, things move around depending on their fortunes.

They'd come back, but they'd also leave quickly if they start losing.

Agreed. There's really only two for sures never to have a problem with attendance is the Habs and the Als.

I just can't see it being a go too sport if the wheels fall of for a while. Let's remember the Expos. Same thing completely happened to them. Bad results for a long time and the strike dwindled there attendance until they were moved. Spite there fan base and they won't be back.

ag futbol
11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
The strike was awful timing too. They might have won the pennant that year.

__wowza
11-02-2013, 04:05 PM
The strike was awful timing too. They might have won the pennant that year.

theres a documentary on how the strike was the death of the team, i'll see if i can find it online.

ensco
11-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Olympic Stadium was a bigger issue than the strike. Nobody would pay for a downtown stadium in Montreal.

DC built the Nationals their park and gave it to them.

This stuff is complicated by design (the enormous cost taxpayers bear is not something politicians want to highlight).

I recommend this website (and this particular story) to those interested in this topic.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2012/10/09/3914/why-the-washpost-killed-my-nationals-stadium-op-ed/

OgtheDim
11-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I wonder if Nesta can do the mental adjustment from being within a locker room to being in charge of a locker room. It would be a heck of lot easier to go to another team when you retire, like Nelsen, then to be among your former peers.

Fort York Redcoat
11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)14h (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/396486362670436352)
Nesta is one of the greatest defenders of his generation. But I have to say, this reeks of desperation from the Impact.

What are looking for? The above tweet reeks of "call out" to me.

BuSaPuNk
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Think because it's only one tweet and not consistant like he has been. Everytime he's talked about Nelsen on every show he's on he makes it pretty clear everytime that he shouldn't have been hired blah blah.

trane
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM

I am not sure if you noticed, but Montreal's management took their team to the playoffs in year two. We are still waiting. So while one can disagree with the hiring of Nesta, and my view on it is the same as Molinaro's, what ever you say about the Saputo's there track record is far better then MLSE's.

JonO
11-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't know about that. They limped backwards into the playoffs this year (actually I would say the didn't even make the play-offs. Technically, they needed to beat Houston for that). And while they have had better results, I still think Saputo's meddling is a negative. I don't follow the Impact that closely, but I am curious as to how they would have performed had they not fired Marsch after last season. That being said, as some (I will include myself) pointed out at the beginning of the season, Montreal was loaded with aging veterans and the MLS season is a long grind with a limited roster. Not sure how much coaching would have affected their swan dive at the end of the year.

Yohan
11-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Couple of problems with Montreal

-Poor depth, esp as CCL games and injuries took their toll. And in MLS, the team with best depth remains competitive, not necessarily the best first 11.

-Heavy reliance on Bernier for offence. Montreal is too one dimensional on relying on 34 yr old Bernier, esp with Felipe not effective.

-As much as people gushed on Nesta and Ferrari, they were exposed way too many times, and Montreal relying on outscoring their opponents.

-After di Vaio, no striker depth, as Wenger was poor all season.

-Bernadello as DP proved to be quite average as mid season signing.

-Schallibaum was a distraction on the sidelines with his temper and dramatics.

-Schallibaum gave too little time too late for good youngsters he did have on squad, and he only did so out of necessity. (Tissot, Lefebvre, Ouimette) The youngsters, lacking game time, didn't perform well under pressure late season.

-Joey Saputo interferes too much with locker room. He just can't help meddling.

trane
11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't know about that. They limped backwards into the playoffs this year (actually I would say the didn't even make the play-offs. Technically, they needed to beat Houston for that). And while they have had better results, I still think Saputo's meddling is a negative. I don't follow the Impact that closely, but I am curious as to how they would have performed had they not fired Marsch after last season. That being said, as some (I will include myself) pointed out at the beginning of the season, Montreal was loaded with aging veterans and the MLS season is a long grind with a limited roster. Not sure how much coaching would have affected their swan dive at the end of the year.

Making the playoffs is not a relative thing. You either do, or you do not. They did. We still have not. I think your observations are very valid, but whatever happened, at the end, there record is much better then ours. I also do not follow the Impact closely. But the bottom line is win and losses, and they are better then us, and they are better then us in year two.

ag futbol
11-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Nah, Marsh was in way over his head. He made awful decisions and burnt his credibility in a hurry. That was never going to be the answer in Montreal. If it's one thing they seem to get (that we never have), is that you build one consistent culture throughout the team.

I'm with Trane on this one.

Yohan
11-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Nah, Marsh was in way over his head. He made awful decisions and burnt his credibility in a hurry. That was never going to be the answer in Montreal. If it's one thing they seem to get (that we never have), is that you build one consistent culture throughout the team.

whatever you say about Marsch, he did lay a good foundation for Montreal, with a lot of his players still in key roles for Montreal

JonO
11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Making the playoffs is not a relative thing. You either do, or you do not. They did. We still have not. I think your observations are very valid, but whatever happened, at the end, there record is much better then ours. I also do not follow the Impact closely. But the bottom line is win and losses, and they are better then us, and they are better then us in year two.

Like I said, I don't know enough about him. I had a look at the stats and they actually finished the 2012 season worse than I remember (but better than 2013). No doubt until now they have a better record than us. Can't argue with the facts.

As for the play-offs, I was merely referring to the fact that they made it to the "play-in" against Houston and did not get past them to the "proper" play-offs. I guess that is still considered part of the post-season...

That being said, I wouldn't use them as the barometer of success just yet. Saputo's involvement has not proven itself to be either a blessing or a curse just yet...

cwell
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Payne got at least one thing right: he said early on that TFC would be better than Montreal by the end of the season because their older players would fade. We were better in the last game, at least.

prizby
11-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Payne got at least one thing right: he said early on that TFC would be better than Montreal by the end of the season because their older players would fade. We were better in the last game, at least.

last 10 games, we had 9 points; last 10 games, they had 8 points

scooter
11-04-2013, 10:17 PM
enough bullshite from jurnos ryan nelson is the real deal and we are all jaded but n​elson is going to bring it all home

Ivy
11-04-2013, 10:54 PM
enough bullshite from jurnos ryan nelson is the real deal and we are all jaded but n​elson is going to bring it all home
I'm not sure why that made me laugh, but I just pictured you saying that while going through a RIDE program

notthesun
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Wahl admitting he got this wrong. Nesta not becoming coach. (http://soccer.si.com/2013/11/05/nesta-backs-saputos-denial-of-impact-coaching-move/)

jloome
11-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure why that made me laugh, but I just pictured you saying that while going through a RIDE program

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jloome
11-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Wahl admitting he got this wrong. Nesta not becoming coach. (http://soccer.si.com/2013/11/05/nesta-backs-saputos-denial-of-impact-coaching-move/)

And this is one a guy with some of the best sources in the biz. Fuck me, journalism has just become a bloody skeet shoot. Sports have been like it longest, but there's way too much of this shit across the board, jumping the gun on sources' hunches.

I'll add Wahl to my "believe it when I see it" list, I guess.

mowe
11-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Cool that he took responsibility and explained the situation.

Must've been a really reliable source if he wrote a story without checking with another source.

Oldtimer
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Impact+president+Saputo+says+team+decide+Schalliba ums+future/9127799/story.html

Schallibaum not out (yet).

Yohan
12-13-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2013/12/13/4476755/marco-sch%C3%A4llibaum-out-as-head-coach-of-montreal-impact

goal.com reporting Schallibaum out

Ultra & Proud
12-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Oh to be the stable Canadian franchise for once.

Technorgasm
12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
damn, , ,

Who else saw MISTA?

I literally clapped , loudly in teh office.

Alonso
12-14-2013, 12:09 PM
damn, , ,

Who else saw MISTA?

I literally clapped , loudly in teh office.

I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet... is it any good?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4rlLYxU3aB0/Up4Qc3JLzaI/AAAAAAAAAoU/PuZ9CgmFFAY/s1600/Mista%2BThe%2BMovie.bmp

ag futbol
12-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Oh to be the stable Canadian franchise for once.
everything's coming up milhouse!