PDA

View Full Version : Jermain Defoe

69Chevy396
10-30-2013, 08:24 PM
$7.9 million per year offer?http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenhams-jermain-defoe-offered-transfer-2657700

habstfc
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Hopefully it's true and he comes here, and not the usual speculation that never happens.

tfcleeds
10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Out of all the names we've had linked with us, he's the one I want to join us the most. Hopefully, it happens.

Shakes McQueen
10-30-2013, 10:58 PM
TSN have picked up the Mirror article too: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=435463

Cashcleaner
10-30-2013, 11:45 PM
The offer sounds like legit news to me - multiple new sources are now confirming it tonight. But whether or not he accepts an offer is another matter. That said, he would be a fantastic signing in my mind. I'd love to see him land here in Toronto!

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/JERMAIN_DEFOE_PIC_1.jpg

Cashcleaner
11-01-2013, 10:38 AM
From the Daily Mail:

Defoe to Go!

Jermain Defoe fears Tottenham are trying to force him out of White Hart Lane as they continue to stall on talks over a new contract.

The north London club actively tried to offload Defoe, and strike partner Emmanuel Adebayor, over the summer - but neither want to leave.

And the England striker fears a similar scenario in January, with manager Andre Villas-Boas keen on adding another forward to his squad.

Story continues here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2482431/Jermain-Defoe-fears-Tottenham-exit-contract-talks-stall.html

Canary10
11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Can we spell his name right in the thread title?

ManUtd4ever
11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Can we spell his name right in the thread title?

Haha, someone confused with him with Willem.

flambe
11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
So if the reported salary is anything to go by, Defoe will earn as much in 2 days as Osario earns in a year?
Mind-blowing salary variations...

Oblio2
11-01-2013, 11:31 AM
And mind blowing different levels of skill.
Defoe is a England International. An EPL player who could walk into most teams in the Premier League....He deserves the money and would literally destroy teams here. Hes a different class.
"Jermain Defoe...He's a Yiddo....."

Huyton
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
He'd tear this league a new one!

Detroit_TFC
11-01-2013, 11:41 AM
I would take Defoe even at a premium price. Unfortunately I get the feel this is part of an effort from his agent to bolster his value at home for a move in the Prem, despite the generous offer from TFC.

Oldtimer
11-01-2013, 12:32 PM
He'd tear this league a new one!

Someone had to say it! :)

flambe
11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Defoe is a England International. An EPL player who could walk into most teams in the Premier League....He deserves the money and would literally destroy teams here. Hes a different class.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that is his perceived value, just making note of the crazy low salaries that some domestic MLS players have.

Prof
11-01-2013, 01:33 PM

What you will discover is that there isn't "a mind blowing different level of skill". He definitely is a better than most, but the gap in skill is not as great as some would have you believe, but the level in pay is definitely "mind blowing different".

Super
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I honestly couldn't care less how some players may feel at TFC about Defoe's salary - should he come here. They're more than welcome to equal his achievements, and then they too can collect an astronomical salary. There's a reason why some players make $40k while others make millions. Different levels. Instead they should be happy to have a chance to play with a top class player. That's never a bad thing.

69Chevy396
11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I did spell his name wrong. Oh well. That is actually indicative of how much I know this player (next to nothing). Seems like a rich contract unless he steps in and produces immediate results.

69Chevy396
11-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I honestly couldn't care less how some players may feel at TFC about Defoe's salary - should he come here. They're more than welcome to equal his achievements, and then they too can collect an astronomical salary. There's a reason why some players make $40k while others make millions. Different levels. Instead they should be happy to have a chance to play with a top class player. That's never a bad thing. Dempsey played in the EPL, earns millions now in MLS, and does not appear to have made that much of a difference. One goal in nine games? How does Defoe compare to him?

Yohan
11-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Dempsey played in the EPL, earns millions now in MLS, and does not appear to have made that much of a difference. One goal in nine games? How does Defoe compare to him?
Every player needs a bit of time to adjust to MLS. Dempsey apparently was playing with a knock.

Shakes McQueen
11-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I honestly couldn't care less how some players may feel at TFC about Defoe's salary - should he come here. They're more than welcome to equal his achievements, and then they too can collect an astronomical salary. There's a reason why some players make $40k while others make millions. Different levels. Instead they should be happy to have a chance to play with a top class player. That's never a bad thing.

^100%

You play in the EPL, you have more leverage over your salary demands. You're a bench player in the MLS... you don't.

- Scott

Kaz
11-01-2013, 09:49 PM
So I don't follow EPL... is he a Poachers like Koevs?
most of the info I can find suggest he scored outside of the box most of the time which suggest he like long shot rather then poaching. Which wouldn't be bad for us for sure.

I really don't know much about him.

Haddy
11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
most of the info I can find suggest he scored outside of the box most of the time which suggest he like long shot rather then poaching. Which wouldn't be bad for us for sure.

He's Robert Earnshaw but wayyyyy better. No disrespect to Earnshaw.

Canary10
11-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Premier League News ‏@PremiershipUK (https://twitter.com/PremiershipUK)32m (https://twitter.com/PremiershipUK/status/396471198894149632)
Villas-Boas wants Defoe stay: Andre Villas-Boas is certain Jermain Defoe will snub a move to the MLS... http://bit.ly/16TP0L5 (http://t.co/LUmT21UQex) skysports

brad
11-01-2013, 11:09 PM

He's a poacher, but not like Koevs. He's a good finisher, he's really fast and mobile, and has a great long shot. He is not good at holding the ball up like Koevs is.

"If" we sign him and pair him up with a central midfielder with a good range of passing, it could be a lethal combo. Teams would have to sit deeper against us - if they left space behind for Defoe to exploit he would slaughter them.

The closest thing I can relate to from TFC memory - imagine if Cunningham could actually finish...

Cashcleaner
11-02-2013, 01:01 AM
^ Agreed. He's a very good finisher and a consistent offensive threat. I think he'd really do wonders for Toronto.

denime
11-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Tottenham deny Defoe's interest in Toronto (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/677126896?-19896:6206)

OgtheDim
11-02-2013, 08:56 AM
That's actually good news, if you want us to have Defoe. Standard boiler plate stuff from Tottenham that indicate the talks are more serious. If they said nothing, I'd be thinking this was all smoke and mirrors.

habstfc
11-03-2013, 02:34 AM
If tottenham wanted him he'd be signed by now. If other epl teams want him they won't be paying 8 million that's for sure. If he stays in England it would be for far less money.

jabbronies
11-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Agreed.

- This is a guy who competed and trained with world class players on the regular.
- Played in the top level club tournaments
- He played for a national team that makes it to at least the quarter-final of most world tournaments they enter.

If a player making less had this resume - then yes they should be up in arms.

If their resume was:

- Trained and competed with Div 2 level players
- Never played in top level clubs tournaments
- Never played on a National team

They probably shouldn't be too upset

jabbronies
11-03-2013, 08:46 AM
He's a poacher, but not like Koevs. He's a good finisher, he's really fast and mobile, and has a great long shot. He is not good at holding the ball up like Koevs is.

"If" we sign him and pair him up with a central midfielder with a good range of passing, it could be a lethal combo. Teams would have to sit deeper against us - if they left space behind for Defoe to exploit he would slaughter them.

The closest thing I can relate to from TFC memory - imagine if Cunningham could actually finish...

MLS Defenders are not that mature. They will leave tons of space for this guy to make his runs.
Thing is though - MLS is an athletic league. Guys may not be smart with their positioning, but they can run like the fucking wind to make up for their mistake.

If we pair him up with Earnshaw, then I see him playing deeper in the box with Earnshaw playing higher up. stretching the defence that way

mcolvy
11-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Not that mature. LOL. To simply sit deeper? A coach would normally be the one to instruct them to sit deeper..... And all they would do is walk deeper down the field.. Not much experience needed there.

The real trick is the decision-making that you are now sitting deep and open to lots of chaos that the coach cant hug you through, like when to step up and cut down all the space and what not. Thats were they can get burned...

LOL MLS professional soccer players cant figure out how to play deeper against an opponent that would beat them for speed and cleverness on through/lofted balls. common man.

jazzy
11-03-2013, 11:06 AM
MLS Defenders are not that mature. They will leave tons of space for this guy to make his runs.
Thing is though - MLS is an athletic league. Guys may not be smart with their positioning, but they can run like the fucking wind to make up for their mistake.

If we pair him up with Earnshaw, then I see him playing deeper in the box with Earnshaw playing higher up. stretching the defence that way

with those two up front then who heads the hoof balls......? seriously Earnshaw has too have size paired with him or we will constantly lose the battles up front . The only way I see Earnshaw on the team is as a bencher for Dafoe , or occasionally teamed with him but with a loss of height advantage. If only Koev's calves held up for part-time duty at a newly negotiated low cost....I can dream can't I.

jazzy
11-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Not that mature. LOL. To simply sit deeper? A coach would normally be the one to instruct them to sit deeper..... And all they would do is walk deeper down the field.. Not much experience needed there.

The real trick is the decision-making that you are now sitting deep and open to lots of chaos that the coach cant hug you through, like when to step up and cut down all the space and what not. Thats were they can get burned...

LOL MLS professional soccer players cant figure out how to play deeper against an opponent that would beat them for speed and cleverness on through/lofted balls. common man.

this where the effective AM is a must with Laba. and\if new striker.

ag futbol
11-03-2013, 11:40 AM

I can agree with this, to a degree. The defending in MLS is physical, but it's still technically not the greatest. Most guys are built to deal with aerial threats and direct attacks, they really struggle to deal with the craftier players who will make runs in behind, try do drag you out of position, or attempt to wrong-foot you.

i'd expect to see more crafty strikers in the next couple of years and less out-and-out target men. It's a good model to deal with defenders who overly rely on two tools: pace and physicality. And "pace" is meant to be a limited term. Those guys are fast in an out-and-out sprint, but if you ask them to change directions they are incredibly slow.

So in this regard Defoe could be a good model. But we still need more players who are capable of delivering a final ball and slicing open a defence.