PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013-2014 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Ageroo
12-17-2013, 08:56 AM
For stats junkies......DeRo's career stats......looks pretty balanced to me regarding goals vs assists......I have watched him play his whole career because he is a Toronto boy & guyanese....so I have a soft spot.....yes he can be selfish at times, but he distributes the ball very well and he is always a threat. This creates openings for others if he is drawing defenders in my opinion.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3233&d=1387288580

Canary10
12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
DeRo has never had vision on the field. MLS counts second assists. I'd love to know how many of those are second assists. He's purely a take the ball and run kind of player. His industry does cause chances, but he's not sliding balls through to strikers running behind the defence. That's the kind of player we need, especially if Defoe signs as he's a master of making runs behind defenders.

Super
12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
So when is the re-entry draft then - I mean, when we will have a chance to sign DeRo?

Milanista
12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Apparently Quagliarella is unhappy at Juve...SCrew Defoe and Gilardino, go after QUAGS!!!!!!!!! He will kill MLS, perfect player IMO

notthesun
12-17-2013, 10:55 AM
So when is the re-entry draft then - I mean, when we will have a chance to sign DeRo?

Tomorrow at 3pm EST.

Haddy
12-17-2013, 11:01 AM
http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/jonathan-bornstein/profil/spieler_39454.html

What about Bornstein?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/12/16/american-exports-reports-say-jonathan-bornstein-could-be-move-after-not-trai

Not training at Tigres...Chivas owns his rights. Snatching him up would put the club two-deep at both wings.

I only mention it because I'm pretty sure he has the same agent as Nelsen.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 11:10 AM

What about Bornstein?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/12/16/american-exports-reports-say-jonathan-bornstein-could-be-move-after-not-trai

Not training at Tigres...Chivas owns his rights. Snatching him up would put the club two-deep at both wings.

He's a left back, no?

I like the idea. I really think TFC need some players in (or recently in) the USMNT. One consistent feature of top teams and MLS Cup Champions is having USMNT players. TFC, and likely Montreal and Vancouver, seem to be at a major disadvantage there.

sashavukelich
12-17-2013, 11:31 AM

What about Bornstein?

I would love it if we didn't have Elmer on the books. We don't need 3 left backs. Can we rid ourselves of Elmer or will that mean having to take the hit to the cap?

nonc
12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
MLS counts second assists.

You sure about that? News to me.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
DeRo has never had vision on the field. MLS counts second assists. I'd love to know how many of those are second assists. He's purely a take the ball and run kind of player. His industry does cause chances, but he's not sliding balls through to strikers running behind the defence. That's the kind of player we need, especially if Defoe signs as he's a master of making runs behind defenders.

He was played primarily as a striker during his tenure in Toronto, which skewed his career statistical average. If he is deployed in an attacking role in the midfield, he can demonstrate creativity and vision in the offensive third of the pitch. He has done so throughout his entire career.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
You sure about that? News to me.

I believe MLS started counting secondary assists recently in an effort to boost the offensive stats of players across the league. The premise being that we North American sports fans are stats junkies and it would be more appealing...

Canary10
12-17-2013, 11:42 AM
He was played primarily as a striker during his tenure in Toronto, which skewed his career statistical average. If he is deployed in an attacking role in the midfield, he can demonstrate creativity and vision in the offensive third of the pitch. He has done so throughout his entire career.

I beg to differ. I've never seen him do that in his career.

I would say DeRo has tunnel vision if anything. Which isn't bad for scoring goals - he is single minded about that. But if we are looking for a creative midfielder to provide service to Gilberto and Defoe (or whoever), DeRo is not that.

Chevy
12-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Take a look at his assist totals, and also his shots to shots on goal ratio. They suggest that he's inclined to take the 30 yard bomb rather than give it up to a teammate.

PopePouri
12-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Question marks would be what he does on the other side of the ball and the answer is not a whole lot. I put him in the same boat with Silva i.e. Not an attacking mid but a 2nd striker.

Skinn
12-17-2013, 12:01 PM
I believe MLS started counting secondary assists recently in an effort to boost the offensive stats of players across the league. The premise being that we North American sports fans are stats junkies and it would be more appealing...

Not true. Not recent. MLS has always had the option of counting 2 assists.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/25/climbing-ladder-assists-through-years

Areathrasher
12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2013/12/earthquakes-trade-morrow-toronto-fc

MLS Vet # 1

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Not true. Not recent. MLS has always had the option of counting 2 assists.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/25/climbing-ladder-assists-through-years

It wasn't implemented when the league started though, was it? I could be wrong, but I thought it was introduced several years after the inception of the league.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Very decent pick up.

notthesun
12-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Is he an outside back or CB?

edit: Both apparently.

sashavukelich
12-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Morrow is an absolutely solid pick up. Well done Bez/Nelly

Doucet3
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM

MLS Vet # 1

Nice pickup will help the back line, still need another peice or two back there, will help Henry develop better as he's not so pressured or rushed to get better now he can be guided under Caldwell with Morrow being the goto. I figure the games split will be 60-40 in mottoes favor

Skinn
12-17-2013, 12:09 PM
It wasn't implemented when the league started though, was it? I could be wrong, but I thought it was introduced several years after the inception of the league.
Answer is in the article. From 1997. So, second season. Not recent though, in terms of league history. There was a change in 2003. All in the article.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 12:09 PM

MLS Vet # 1

Good move. He's a solid MLS calibre left back.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I thought he played left back.

tfcmanu
12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Morrow

Areathrasher
12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
2012 All Star also.

1 cap for the States.

Like this pick up :thumbsup:

mowe
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM

MLS Vet # 1

Good pickup. Primarily LB, but can play CB too. Wonder what this means for Elmer.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Good pickup. Primarily LB, but can play CB too. Wonder what this means for Elmer.

Glued to the bench.

Whoop
12-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Haha zing!

Areathrasher
12-17-2013, 12:18 PM
OptaJack ‏@OptaJack 3m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/OptaJack/status/412993670598512640) 82.2% - Since the start of the 2012 @MLS (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/MLS) season, @jmo_row_15 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/jmo_row_15) is 2nd on @SJEarthquakes (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/SJEarthquakes) in terms of passing accuracy (min. 2000 minutes). Red.

MartinUtd
12-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Started 21 games last year, from the few games I did check out they deployed him on the left side.

This seems to be more of a Morgan upgrade than a Henry upgrade.

PopePouri
12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Possibly backup for Caldwell too. If Caldwell goes down, Morrow can be moved to the middle with Morgan coming in at LB.

Ultra & Proud
12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Started 21 games last year, from the few games I did check out they deployed him on the left side.

This seems to be more of a Morgan upgrade than a Henry upgrade.
Looks that way for sure. This Elmer deal looks more and more dodgy.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Elmer is now officially a waste of an international roster spot. Based on his contract status, can he be released without his salary counting against the cap, or would he have to be traded for cap relief?

ag futbol
12-17-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't know much about this guy, but from watching SJ on occasion their fullbacks tend to be one of the better parts of their team.

Feel free to toss us Beitashour as well :)

Yohan
12-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Fring USMNT LB in his prime years on 130k is good deal. Morrow is a similar type of FB as Morgan. Big warning sign as he went from being an all star and USMNT call ups in 2012 to losing his spot in 2013 with SJ. terrible first touch, esp when dribbling and positioning problems. (sounds just like Morgan!) Though he can fill in as speedy sweeper type CB in a pinch, but I think Nelsen is going for LB for Morrow. If Morrow is half decent, he'd have been a lock for LB for USMNT.... Well liked by Quakes supporters and does stuff for community.

Elmer's days with TFC are numbered.

PopePouri
12-17-2013, 12:31 PM
He's right footed though actually and maybe he's more an upgrade for Bloom. Could it be he was played out of position at San Jose?

Areathrasher
12-17-2013, 12:31 PM
A loan back to Europe for Elmer, maybe?

Ultra & Proud
12-17-2013, 12:34 PM
A loan back to Europe for Elmer, maybe?

Not that it would happen but if any lower level English squads actually wanted Eck then we could transfer him there (for a bag of balls or something) and then buy out Elmer.

Yohan
12-17-2013, 12:35 PM
He's right footed though actually and maybe he's more an upgrade for Bloom. Could it be he was played out of position at San Jose?
got his all star and USMNT call up playing LB. I don't think you can say he's being played out of position

Areathrasher
12-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Not that it would happen but if any lower level English squads actually wanted Eck then we could transfer him there (for a bag of balls or something) and then buy out Elmer.

That's not a bad shout actually. If they were going to buy him out or find a trade partner, surely it would have happned by now given how active the market has been.

Maybe they are waiting till the European Window to open to get the two of them out.

Is there a buyout window in MLS or can they be done at any time?

mcolvy
12-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Morrow is an undersized CB. Hes under 5'9, but can manage, you just don't want him as CB full time. Type of guy that if he was 6'2, 6'3, hed be a starting CB for the US national team.

I like the pickup. Now I want to see if the coaches are set on Bloom (they were very high on him), or if they bring in reinforcements for the right side as well.

Ultra & Proud
12-17-2013, 12:39 PM
That's not a bad shout actually. If they were going to buy him out or find a trade partner, surely it would have happned by now given how active the market has been.

Maybe they are waiting till the European Window to open to get the two of them out.

I think we can only do one though.

jloome
12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
got his all star and USMNT call up playing LB. I don't think you can say he's being played out of position

He's not positionally weak; he played defensive mid several times as a fill in last season and did pretty well. And he can use both feet, which might be why he's played left back at San Jose. He can actually play anywhere on the line.

To get Justin Morrow for allocation money is a steal.

PopePouri
12-17-2013, 12:43 PM

He probably has a good left foot much like Klute as well. My preference would be that he is deployed on the right for his natural foot and play ahead of Bloom. Unless they can find another decent fullback of course.

mcolvy
12-17-2013, 12:44 PM
He comes with a 130,000 price tag, which will surely be bumped up a bit this season.

That is a pretty large chunk for a FB. I liked the look of Alston maybe joining, but I guess it was an either or situation.

I don't think you add anymore at the back for now.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 12:50 PM
The reaction from SJ supporters on the web is unanimous disappointment. San Jose owes us big time for stealing Cronin.

mcolvy
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
The way I saw it was that it seemed like they were putting a ton of work in trying to find Ecks a trade or any option to avoid buying him out. I assume we aren't just being cheap, because we have all the cash in the world. I would then assume they are trying to save the buyout for something else. Maybe Elmer is the reason. Looked like Payne brought him in impulsively.
Morgan just can't catch a break. Basically can confirm Nelsen doesnt rate him well

gdg_9
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM

I think (hope?) this is a likely situation for Ecks.

Bez has hinted several times this off-season about trying to find a team to take Ecks, rather than buying him out.
If he can make that happen, it would leave the buy-out for Elmer.

Or if he can find teams to take them both, even better!

BuSaPuNk
12-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I think we can only do one though.

Yep only one buyout and it's going to be Ecks. I doubt we could trade him at all with his outrageous cap hit.

Elmer is also on a guaranteed contract so we can't buy him out unless we want it on the cap. We might be able to move him if there's someone desperate enough to take him. Another doggy move by the old regime.

Initial B
12-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow, Morrow was usually a solid pick for me in Fantasy League last year when SJ went on their SS run. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Since he was traded for allocation, I wonder if SJ is clearing some cap space to bring in a DP or other big $ signing (or picking up someone in round 2 of the re-entry draft)...

Couchy81
12-17-2013, 01:24 PM
So who has more confidence in Bez now? I do!

SKB
12-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Can we move Elmer up into the midfield on the left as a depth player behind Rey? His strength was getting forward. However, would prefer to trade him. I believe we are locked into him for next year and cannot be released

El Diego
12-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Morrow is a solid pick up. I see no reason why he can't play either full back position here.

Regarding the discussion on the past couple pages about De Rosario's style, I think he's at a point in his career where he needs to seriously consider reinventing himself into a deeper lying midfielder if he wants to extend his career. I don't know if he has the mentality for that.

Joe Kool
12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Well I like the fact that SJ fans don't like losing Morrow....good sign. Obviously they needed the money and had some redundancy in that position. I am kind of looking forward to this upcoming year more than I usually do in the off season. Hope everything pulls together nicely and hope there is no pressure on the management to get DeRo just because he is DeRo. New management should be smarter and only bring him in if he fits the plan and will have the right attitude. If it was the old regime they would give him a big paycheck to come back because they were trying to please the fans....remember Beirne in the townhall when being questioned about the move to bring JDG I think it was "well you guys wanted him"...ooohhh the bad memories...

ag futbol
12-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Well I like the fact that SJ fans don't like losing Morrow....good sign. Obviously they needed the money and had some redundancy in that position. I am kind of looking forward to this upcoming year more than I usually do in the off season. Hope everything pulls together nicely and hope there is no pressure on the management to get DeRo just because he is DeRo. New management should be smarter and only bring him in if he fits the plan and will have the right attitude. If it was the old regime they would give him a big paycheck to come back because they were trying to please the fans....remember Beirne in the townhall when being questioned about the move to bring JDG I think it was "well you guys wanted him"...ooohhh the bad memories...
Which stands as about the lamest excuse any manager or leader could ever provide. My greatest annoyance has been when people have tried to shift this clubs failures back onto the fans.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I am going to call it now. DeRo will be selected by TFC tomorrow in the second round of the re-entry draft and sign a 1-2 year deal worth 150-200K per season including a guaranteed job within the organization after he retires.

Despite the animosity that still exists towards him from many hard core supporters, the general sentiment among the casual fan base is that his departure was the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise. Reacquiring him will definitely help sell tickets, as much as signing a big name DP in my opinion. Leiweke and Bez are well aware of that, and as long as DeRo isn't unrealistic about his worth or his role on the club, it's a slam dunk.

ProfessorDamage
12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I am going to call it now. DeRo will be selected by TFC tomorrow in the second round of the re-entry draft and sign a 1-2 year deal worth 150-200K per season including a guaranteed job within the organization after he retires.

Despite the animosity that still exists towards him from many hard core supporters, the general sentiment among the casual fan base is that his departure was the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise. Reacquiring him will definitely help sell tickets, as much as signing a big name DP in my opinion. Leiweke and Bez are well aware of that, and as long as DeRo isn't unrealistic about his worth or his role on the club, it's a slam dunk.

I think it's risky. The one ability DeRo hasn't lost despite his age is to be a mouthy cancer in the locker room. What's to say he won't come back only to shit-disturb and act like he's owed something more than just his salary and whatever tack-ons they offer him?

I like looking forward rather than back, so this has me a bit worried. Good on Morrow, though. No complaints there.

Slick
12-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I think it's risky. The one ability DeRo hasn't lost despite his age is to be a mouthy cancer in the locker room. What's to say he won't come back only to shit-disturb and act like he's owed something more than just his salary and whatever tack-ons they offer him?

I like looking forward rather than back, so this has me a bit worried. Good on Morrow, though. No complaints there.

100% agree.

Ultra & Proud
12-17-2013, 03:48 PM
My take on DeRo; if he comes in and performs similar to how he did last season then he'll be fine with a reduced role and pay. However, if he regains some form and say Gilberto takes time to adjust to MLS and has a rough start then I wouldn't be surprised if locker room cancer DeRo returns once again and we get treated to more stories of jumping over pool tables to avoid gun shots and cheque cashing gestures again. He isn't a big gamble production-wise but a huge one personality-wise. A guy like that can make a good squad go boom in a hurry if he lets his attitude lead the way.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
12-17-2013, 03:51 PM

I guess this is where we find out whether DeRo respects Nelsen, and whether Nelsen has the chops to man-manage. Of course, if they win, the task is considerably less daunting.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 03:53 PM

DeRo's issues in the past were with management, not with his teammates. Besides, if it does happen, I'm sure that Nelsen and Bez will have a very frank conversation with him regarding his role on the team. Nelsen knows DeRo on a personal level, and they have been good friends off the pitch for many years.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
DeRo's issues in the past were with management, not with his teammates. Besides, if it does happen, I'm sure that Nelsen and Bez will have a very frank conversation with him regarding his role on the team. Nelsen knows DeRo on a personal level, and they have been good friends off the pitch for many years.

You mean managements (plural)?

ag futbol
12-17-2013, 03:56 PM
We don't actually know that he's a cancer to his teams. This is just people looking at things through the eyes of supporters and assuming that because he's made a stink about money that he isn't good to have in the room. Lot's of evidence out there that points to the contrary.

When it comes to money matters, players in this league back each other up, particularly as it relates to career MLS types getting more. I would guarantee you the perception of this guy fighting for more money from MLS is dramatically different on this board compared to among players at the club.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 03:58 PM
You mean managements (plural)?

Specifically Mo Johnston, but yes, it affected his relationship with the organization as a whole. That's in the past now.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Specifically Mo Johnston, but yes, it affected his relationship with the organization as a whole. That's in the past now.

He's had a few other dust ups. Houston I remember.

He also, frankly, screwed Aron Winter which I wasn't a fan of.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 04:03 PM
We don't actually know that he's a cancer to his teams. This is just people looking at things through the eyes of supporters and assuming that because he's made a stink about money that he isn't good to have in the room. Lot's of evidence out there that points to the contrary.

When it comes to money matters, players in this league back each other up, particularly as it relates to career MLS types getting more. I would guarantee you the perception of this guy fighting for more money from MLS is dramatically different on this board compared to among players at the club.

Absolutely.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 04:05 PM
He's had a few other dust ups. Houston I remember.

He also, frankly, screwed Aron Winter which I wasn't a fan of.

In Houston it was an issue with management regarding his contract, not his teammates.

As for the Winter comment, I think that's debatable, depending on one's perspective.

Pint
12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Management screwed him around.... most on here would be really upset if promised a raise but not receive one... why is it different for DeRo?

Anyway that is in the past along with the terrible management which most here also share ill feeling for, this is about a move now and for the right price and role he could certainly help our club for the next 2 years.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 04:13 PM
In Houston it was an issue with management regarding his contract, not his teammates.

As for the Winter comment, I think that's debatable, depending on one's perspective.

Winter said in his first press conference he would sit with DeRo and figure it out. From there reporters went into a scrum with DeRo who said he'd not play another game with TFC until he had his contract demands met. Didn't give Winter 10 minutes to have a discussion about the situation.

Anyway, like you said that's in the past. Question is whether spending $200-250 on a twenty minute player is worth it.

Lumpy
12-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Dero will not be signed by the club because the new management is too smart for that. Why sign an old player coming off a crappy season who has the potential (real or imagined) to cause trouble. Besides the momentum is currently going forward not backwards so why sign someone with a link to the team's disastrous past. Dero can go to Vancouver or Montreal to re-establish his link to Canada.

Ultra & Proud
12-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Management screwed him around.... most on here would be really upset if promised a raise but not receive one... why is it different for DeRo?
Because he got two raises when he resigned new deals in quick succession before finalizing everything with his cheque signing suck-fest. You get offered a deal (especially a renegotiated one) and sign it then you forsake the right to bitch until contract time is up again. That's how it works for people in all walks of life.

Pint
12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Because he got two raises when he resigned new deals in quick succession before finalizing everything with his cheque signing suck-fest. You get offered a deal (especially a renegotiated one) and sign it then you forsake the right to bitch until contract time is up again. That's how it works for people in all walks of life.

ya I guess but depends on what he was promised in the first place. Anyway prefer to leave that in the past along with the management that was involved, we have many positives happening this offseason so far and hopefully tomorrow will bring another piece to the puzzle.

mcolvy
12-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Beitashour is on his way out of SJ now as well.. Maybe we could grab the tandem. Apparently they are good buddies.

Lumpy
12-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Lets not forget this stuff either ( http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/dero-has-to-go/article4327369/ )

From the article------"In 2004 he was a part of a player revolt against Holger Osieck the then Canadian World Cup coach; in 2007 he was dropped from the Canadian World Cup team for speaking negatively about head coach Dale Mitchell; two weeks ago he did the same thing with former TFC head coach Preki. Time is up."
Big mistake for the rebirth of TFC if he is signed and continues this pattern of behaviour.

DigzTFC!
12-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Lets not forget this stuff either ( http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/dero-has-to-go/article4327369/ )

From the article------"In 2004 he was a part of a player revolt against Holger Osieck the then Canadian World Cup coach; in 2007 he was dropped from the Canadian World Cup team for speaking negatively about head coach Dale Mitchell; two weeks ago he did the same thing with former TFC head coach Preki. Time is up."
Big mistake for the rebirth of TFC if he is signed and continues this pattern of behaviour.

- Let's not forget the unapproved Celtic trial and transfer he tried to force

He's a diva. No question. He's got his money. The real question we should be asking:

Do you think Ryan Nelson as a coach can contain a player with Dwayne's attitude?

It's different when you're buddies then when you're coaching. Their past relationship will have no reflection on their potential one. Dwayne will remain Dwayne. He was in his 30s when he pulled most of his stunts. Is Nelson up for this? It will only take one goal or one good game for Dwayne to start moaning for more playing time or something.

Haddy
12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Beitashour is on his way out of SJ now as well.. Maybe we could grab the tandem. Apparently they are good buddies.

On the buddy front...Dike and Morrow played together at Notre Dame.

Edit: Nelsen's manager at Stanford, Bobby Clark, is the current Notre Dame manager who Dike and Morrow played under.

Bright Dike ‏@bbright19 (https://twitter.com/bbright19)3h (https://twitter.com/bbright19/status/413015425073438720)
@jmo_row_15 (https://twitter.com/jmo_row_15) Welcome to Toronto buddy, glad to have a good friend join us

Haddy
12-17-2013, 04:46 PM

He's a diva. No question. He's got his money. The real question we should be asking:

Do you think Ryan Nelson as a coach can contain a player with Dwayne's attitude?

It's different when you're buddies then when you're coaching. Their past relationship will have no reflection on their potential one. Dwayne will remain Dwayne. He was in his 30s when he pulled most of his stunts. Is Nelson up for this? It will only take one goal or one good game for Dwayne to start moaning for more playing time or something.

I'm fairly confident in believing DeRo understands he's at the end of the road. He really has absolutely no reason to pull any stunts. His window to Europe is long gone and the sun is setting.

If he does pull something, he'll prove you correct that he really is a diva. Until that day, I think the jury is out on the man's current maturity level.

v00d00daddy
12-17-2013, 04:48 PM

We all know the controversy surrounding DeRo off the field (and I am not a fan of his for this)….but even if we forgive/forget the off field stuff, what purpose does he serve on the field for this team?

Nobody can even say what position he plays. He goes out there and does whatever he wants. I fell out of love with his game long before his cheque signing idiocy. The guy is the last thing this team needs.

If they sign him it will be another reason for me to stay home this summer.

Ultra & Proud
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Even though he looked as burnt as DeRo did last year at the right price I'd take a look at Lindpere.

flamehawk
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
ya I guess but depends on what he was promised in the first place. Anyway prefer to leave that in the past along with the management that was involved, we have many positives happening this offseason so far and hopefully tomorrow will bring another piece to the puzzle.

Haha, and this debate resurrects itself for the nth time. I am with you on this and hope to see him signed tomorrow. I just booked my first ever ST and if he gets signed I would have no qualms sealing the deal and making payment.

Bringing the conversation back to Morrow, it's a great signing, but I wonder how this move will affect Ashtone Morgan's development. I think Morgan has a lot of upside, despite having a below average season and still prone to hiccups. Morrow no doubt improves the left side of defence substantively, and I am not saying that we should sacrifice team performance for player development, but I really hope we don't fail in our nurturing of Morgan. Will Ashtone losing his starting position be disastrous for his development? Or will losing his spot allow him to focus more on improving his game (noticed in some games, especially at the start of the season how anxious and afraid he was ... remember his expression and hesitance at even taking a throw-in?)? Sometimes I forget though that Ashtone is only 22 and maybe at this age it's not that bad to be sitting on the bench as he learns more about the game.

PopePouri
12-17-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-acquires-defender-justin-morrow-from-earthquakes/article16004199/

Thing to take away from this: Ecks on 500k this year? WTF was wrong with these people?

Haddy
12-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Bringing the conversation back to Morrow, it's a great signing, but I wonder how this move will affect Ashtone Morgan's development. I think Morgan has a lot of upside, despite having a below average system and still prone to hiccups. Morrow no doubt improves the left side of defence substantively, and I am not saying that we should sacrifice team performance for player development, but I really hope we don't fail in our nurturing of Morgan. Will Ashtone losing his starting position be disastrous for his development? Or will losing his spot allow him to focus more on improving his game (noticed in some games, especially at the start of the season how anxious and afraid he was ... remember his expression and hesitance at even taking a throw-in?)? Sometimes I forget though that Ashtone is only 22 and maybe at this age it's not that bad to be sitting on the bench as he learns more about the game.

I feel the same every time someone mentions that they think Osorio should be the 5th midfielder - otherwise known as riding the bench.

Catch 22. Might be able to find a short-term upgrade. But does that cost you in the long run (Osorio's development)? Kids need minutes. If they aren't playing or being loaned out you run the risk of stunting their growth.

In both their cases, I believe it's their spot to lose. Nothing will be taken away immediately. This is what training camp is for.

Chevy
12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm fairly confident in believing DeRo understands he's at the end of the road. He really has absolutely no reason to pull any stunts. His window to Europe is long gone and the sun is setting.

If he does pull something, he'll prove you correct that he really is a diva. Until that day, I think the jury is out on the man's current maturity level.

My friend, there is no end to Ego Road. If you're pulling stunts in your early 20's, there's time for growth and change. If you're doing it in your 30's, you're signing your name (and cheques) in pen. :)

I admittedly have a distaste for DeRo, but setting that aside for a second I just don't see a fit with the 2014 version of the club.

pdubs
12-17-2013, 05:02 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-acquires-defender-justin-morrow-from-earthquakes/article16004199/

Thing to take away from this: Ecks on 500k this year? WTF was wrong with these people?

who freaking negotiated this and thought in anyway this was a good decision??? the incompetence of past mgmt wtf???

will be remembered as the dark years of tfc no doubt. these people should be ridiculed to know end. like wtf

even if by some grace we do trade ecks we will be paying a chunk of that salary, like our favourite striker hassli

Haddy
12-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Ego Road

Somebody should name an album after that.

ensco
12-17-2013, 05:15 PM
I think that if PTB really thinks he is getting Defoe or Gila, he'll let Dero go by. If he signs here, that'll tell me that there's a real chance that "Gilberto + Dero" is the sum total of the big offseason he promised.

If I'm Dero, I'd go anywhere else. It'd be a circus in Toronto, and we're unlikely to contend - why not just enjoy the soccer?

Initial B
12-17-2013, 05:31 PM
If I'm Dero, I'd go anywhere else. It'd be a circus in Toronto, and we're unlikely to contend - why not just enjoy the soccer?
But Lieweke guaranteed that TFC will make the playoffs this year. By that definition we'll contend, won't we?

ag futbol
12-17-2013, 05:42 PM

I think it's pretty crazy to assume Celtic just lets random players show up and trial without having proper authorization.

Come on, the people in charge at that time have a very well documented history of being incompetent.

ag futbol
12-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Yes, please! One of the best fulbacks in the league hands down.

Fishnicker
12-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm actually ok with Dero as an occasional starter/sub at 100-130K. Still a great set piece taker.

But I see a huge red flag with his injuries/age. The chronic hip flexor will still be bothering him when he's 60. He's banged both knees up numerous times. He's at the age where this shit happens and shit does not care if you're a vegan yogi at peace with the universe. Mileage always wins.

He's showing the warning signs right on cue and I would be worried we spend too much for an oft injured/ineffective player.

Waggy
12-17-2013, 06:13 PM
The Dero debates were one of the main reasons I stopped frequenting this board. For those who remember I was a very ardent 'anti dero' person. Now, thanks to the benefit of hindsight and additional information we've learned since he left (I still remember seeing that news on Twitter while at the Jays home opener and literally dancing a jig) I've softened my stance. I think if anyone was made a promise by their employer that if they take less money in the short term that they'll be made whole long term and the employer broke that promise, they'd be apoplectic. I've made my personal peace with Dero and have no problems with him. I think I'd have reacted exactly as he did. That being said, if TFC is intending to make a serious playoff run next year we're going to need both depth and veteran MLS leadership off the bench. Can Dero provide those things? Sure. He'd be great. But only if he is aware that that is the role he's coming in for and if he accepts that role. If he has any aspirations of getting starters minutes or money then TFC should take a pass as there's no fit, either from our POV or his. If he is ok taking a (relatively) low salary and playing only a few minutes per game on the regular then sign him up. If not, best to look elsewhere, with no hard feelings.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman 2m (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/413086121547939841) Drake's call helped persuade Jermain Defoe to agree to join Toronto FC, reports Daily Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-jermain-defoe-talked-toronto-2936971#.UrDaRMzAz0E.twitter … (http://t.co/XDKdp9OKPZ)

ensco
12-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman 2m (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/413086121547939841) Drake's call helped persuade Jermain Defoe to agree to join Toronto FC, reports Daily Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-jermain-defoe-talked-toronto-2936971#.UrDaRMzAz0E.twitter … (http://t.co/XDKdp9OKPZ)

Lapsed SSH window for renewing ends tonight. All hands on deck.

Haddy
12-17-2013, 06:32 PM

The 31-year-old has been offered a deal worth £90,000-a-week, while Toronto will also pay for unlimited flights for him and his family and provide him with two houses.

I want two houses.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Lapsed SSH window for renewing ends tonight. All hands on deck.

Yup.

Waggy
12-17-2013, 06:36 PM
As a footy fan of course I've played a lot of Fifa in my day. In the mid 2000's, my friends and I FIENDED Fifa. Had huge tournies/intense games. They would always play as their favorite teams- star studded Chelsea, AC Milan, Barcelona. I always played as my Spurs. And I always made 1 lineup change before every game- substitue in the young, fast goal poacher I couldn't believe was on the bench instead of starting. That Defoe now could play for TFC.... If/when he puts pen to paper I will shed actual tears. I don't follow Serie A enough to know how he rates compared to Gilardino, but I know how he rates to me. That TFC could even dream of signing my favorite player not named Bale, while he is still relevant enough to be in the mix for the England World Cup squad is something I couldn't have even dreamed of in 2007. I can't say whether it will work out. I don't know obviously. But I can say how much it'd mean to me personally (and I'm sure to any Spurs fan). And it says a lot about how far MLS as a league has come, and fills me with optimism about the future. Maybe the dream of being a world class league by the 2020's isn't as far fetched as it seemed a few years ago

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 06:36 PM
I want two houses.

Me too.

Seriously though, if the report is accurate, this is exactly what MLSE should be doing to recruit players. We're a huge market with one of the richest corporate owners in the league. It's about time we started acting like it.

T-boy
12-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Looks that way for sure. This Elmer deal looks more and more dodgy.

I think its still way to quick to judge Elmer. He could still be a very good footballer - we've hardly seen him kick a ball! Just because Morgan did start playing better last season and then wasn't dropped, doesn't mean that Elmer isn't any good!

Ivy
12-17-2013, 06:44 PM
I think its still way to quick to judge Elmer. He could still be a very good footballer - we've hardly seen him kick a ball! Just because Morgan did start playing better last season and then wasn't dropped, doesn't mean that Elmer isn't any good!
Which is true... But you gotta wonder what that was all about...
that summer was all "wait until the window opens","MLS will fear us.." Forlan, forlan, forlan, Forlan's coming on Monday... Then it's like "TFC announces the signing of Jonas Elmer" and everyone goes: "wtf just happened??"
That pretty much summarizes that deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Also people have to get over cutting Elmer, he's guaranteed and if tfc is gonna cut anyone its gonna be Eckersley

DigzTFC!
12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
I was looking at the state of our backline and it occurs that we need veteran depth at CB/RB. Eckersley will be bought out. Elmer will probably be sent back to Europe.

Anyone think that Nana Attakora-Gyan would be a nice affordable solution at CB/RB?

Bloom---------Caldwell------------Henry--------------Morrow
Richter------------------------Agbossoumonde--------Morgan

The fact that he's injured plays into the appropriate number of games for Boss/Henry. If Caldwell goes down, there is no one organizing the backline. It just makes a lot of sense to get another veteran presence back there. Morrow is a LM/LB in my opinion. At 5'9 its not the ideal spot CB starter you want. Boss is in need of a loan to an NASL side.

Canary10
12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
As a footy fan of course I've played a lot of Fifa in my day. In the mid 2000's, my friends and I FIENDED Fifa. Had huge tournies/intense games. They would always play as their favorite teams- star studded Chelsea, AC Milan, Barcelona. I always played as my Spurs. And I always made 1 lineup change before every game- substitue in the young, fast goal poacher I couldn't believe was on the bench instead of starting. That Defoe now could play for TFC.... If/when he puts pen to paper I will shed actual tears. I don't follow Serie A enough to know how he rates compared to Gilardino, but I know how he rates to me. That TFC could even dream of signing my favorite player not named Bale, while he is still relevant enough to be in the mix for the England World Cup squad is something I couldn't have even dreamed of in 2007. I can't say whether it will work out. I don't know obviously. But I can say how much it'd mean to me personally (and I'm sure to any Spurs fan). And it says a lot about how far MLS as a league has come, and fills me with optimism about the future. Maybe the dream of being a world class league by the 2020's isn't as far fetched as it seemed a few years ago

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. I will be getting a Defoe shirt and I've never had a name on the backs of any of my TFC kits.

MightyDM
12-17-2013, 09:41 PM
I think it's pretty crazy to assume Celtic just lets random players show up and trial without having proper authorization.

Come on, the people in charge at that time have a very well documented history of being incompetent.

Exactly. I have no doubt that management lied to him. It was a travesty not to give him a shot at Celtic, mean, personal, and vindictive.

DeRo gave his all on the field, and carried us. It is true everywhere he has played - he gives everything he has for his club, on the field, to win.

While it's true that he lacks a little vision and tactical sense, keeping him from playing in the Premiership, he has been superb at this level and on the field is a Canadian soccer legend. We should embrace his return.

TFC07
12-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I would be more excited if DeRo signs with us than Defoe signing (who's way overpaid); DeRo winning us a championship will be perfect ending to his career.

MightyDM
12-17-2013, 10:00 PM
The Dero debates were one of the main reasons I stopped frequenting this board. For those who remember I was a very ardent 'anti dero' person. Now, thanks to the benefit of hindsight and additional information we've learned since he left (I still remember seeing that news on Twitter while at the Jays home opener and literally dancing a jig) I've softened my stance. I think if anyone was made a promise by their employer that if they take less money in the short term that they'll be made whole long term and the employer broke that promise, they'd be apoplectic. I've made my personal peace with Dero and have no problems with him. I think I'd have reacted exactly as he did. That being said, if TFC is intending to make a serious playoff run next year we're going to need both depth and veteran MLS leadership off the bench. Can Dero provide those things? Sure. He'd be great. But only if he is aware that that is the role he's coming in for and if he accepts that role. If he has any aspirations of getting starters minutes or money then TFC should take a pass as there's no fit, either from our POV or his. If he is ok taking a (relatively) low salary and playing only a few minutes per game on the regular then sign him up. If not, best to look elsewhere, with no hard feelings.

Well said.

Ivy
12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Dero scores the winning goal in the 90th minute of the cup finals. You heard it here first.

Then does the cheque signing gesture and walks off the field. Perfect retirement.

jazzy
12-17-2013, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=sashavukelich;1627557]I would love it if we didn't have Elmer on the books. We don't need 3 left backs. Can we rid ourselves of Elmer or will that mean having to take the hit to the cap?[/QUOTE

who exactly is this Elmer .......?.....we sign him an international spot and he NEVER plays....uh??

jazzy
12-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I beg to differ. I've never seen him do that in his career.

I would say DeRo has tunnel vision if anything. Which isn't bad for scoring goals - he is single minded about that. But if we are looking for a creative midfielder to provide service to Gilberto and Defoe (or whoever), DeRo is not that.

^this.......don't understand the Dero rebirth all of a sudden.....I've met him , enjoyed his demeanor and generosity at charity benefits , he's a quiet proud man but our future is with Osorio and the like, unless he's paid very little and more in a coaching/mentoring facility ?? (not sure he can do that) I think it's a backward step...He's not a passer . Unless he wants the ball back immediately.

MartinUtd
12-17-2013, 10:35 PM
keeping him from playing in the Premiership

Yeah, the Scottish Premiership...

ensco
12-17-2013, 10:42 PM

I don't want to sign Defoe, but I like this post.

TFC/Everton
12-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Well said.

If someone told me 1 year ago that we would be on the verge of signing Jermain Defoe I would have laughed in their face.

Maybe, just maybe, Toronto FC finally has the pieces in place.

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 11:01 PM
If we end up with Jackson, Morrow, Gilberto, Defoe, and DeRo, this will be the best off season in the history of the franchise by a country mile. Those additions alone could easily add 25-30 goals to our offensive output next season.

KGH
12-17-2013, 11:05 PM
If we end up with Jackson, Morrow, Gilberto, Defoe, and DeRo

Havent people always been saying we're 4-5 players away from being a great squad...

ManUtd4ever
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Havent people always been saying we're 4-5 players away from being a great squad...

The encouraging sign this time around is that TFC could conceivably add 4-5 quality players to an existing core that is already in place, as opposed to previous years in which the entire roster was dismantled repeatedly with no sense of continuity or cohesion. Among the incumbent players on our roster, I was impressed with Caldwell, Laba, Osorio, Rey, and Dike last season.

backbeat
12-17-2013, 11:42 PM
If we end up with Jackson, Morrow, Gilberto, Defoe, and DeRo, this will be the best off season in the history of the franchise by a country mile. Those additions alone could easily add 25-30 goals to our offensive output next season.

as much as i like DeRo it would be nice if he was surplus and we added an additional stud AM with the above - then I'd be THRILLED....plus a big MLS CB

AdamAM
12-18-2013, 12:13 AM
as much as i like DeRo it would be nice if he was surplus and we added an additional stud AM with the above - then I'd be THRILLED....plus a big MLS CB
Agreed. I'm still hoping on somebody like a Benny Feilhaber and then Attakora. Them plus Defoe+Dero and I think this team is set.

boozilla
12-18-2013, 12:52 AM
I never want to see that spastic chicken goal dance again.

Derko
12-18-2013, 01:04 AM

Anyway that is in the past along with the terrible management which most here also share ill feeling for, this is about a move now and for the right price and role he could certainly help our club for the next 2 years.

This may be a shrewd comment, but isn't that where Dero'$ agent and legal team should have had the raise issue figured out before it got to the unprofessional antics of both Player and Management, maybe I am dumb, but I would have all my ducks in a row,

Anyway if Dero comes in at VERY low cost option, maybe

trane
12-18-2013, 06:03 AM

I understand this. I just hope people do not get offended ( and I suspect that they will) when someone voices the same opinion about a Serie A player.

sidvan
12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
The only thing that gets me going about the upcoming year is the fact that it looks like we will have a full competitive roster before the season starts. We have always been waiting to see what can we add 8 weeks in to fill out the team. Now it is beginning to look like 8 weeks in we'll be looking to polish the team not flying in "core" players.

Waggy
12-18-2013, 08:02 AM
I understand this. I just hope people do not get offended ( and I suspect that they will) when someone voices the same opinion about a Serie A player.

IMO signing an Italian international says the same thing about where MLS is as a league and where it seems to be going. I don't have that personal connection with Gilardino, but I'd certainly still think it'd be a huge deal to get him. Can't speak for others opinions, but quality is quality. That MLS could attract internationals from major soccer powers is really amazing. I mean jesus, look what we're talking about. It'd have been a pipe dream for ANY club in MLS to pull off signings like this even 2 years ago, now we're wondering if Defoes weaknesses make him a good fit, or if the 24 year old Brazilian who was 6th in scoring down there last year will be THAT good. When you step back and look, the whole narrative has changed. Kudos to Bez (I won't even try and spell his name) who seems to be delivering some steak and not just the sizzle. Again, it may not work out (look at the Jays last year, good moves that just didn't work), but at least we're in the game for once. Relevant for once and NOT for epic, epic failure. And not just in MLS, but internationally.

Abou Sky
12-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I have been told that there will be 'big' news today.

Yay, another day watching Twitter all day...

BuSaPuNk
12-18-2013, 08:38 AM
I have been told that there will be 'big' news today.

Yay, another day watching Twitter all day...

2nd round of the draft. Probably DeRo.

Fort York Redcoat
12-18-2013, 09:21 AM
IMO signing an Italian international says the same thing about where MLS is as a league and where it seems to be going. I don't have that personal connection with Gilardino, but I'd certainly still think it'd be a huge deal to get him. Can't speak for others opinions, but quality is quality. That MLS could attract internationals from major soccer powers is really amazing. I mean jesus, look what we're talking about. It'd have been a pipe dream for ANY club in MLS to pull off signings like this even 2 years ago, now we're wondering if Defoes weaknesses make him a good fit, or if the 24 year old Brazilian who was 6th in scoring down there last year will be THAT good. When you step back and look, the whole narrative has changed. Kudos to Bez (I won't even try and spell his name) who seems to be delivering some steak and not just the sizzle. Again, it may not work out (look at the Jays last year, good moves that just didn't work), but at least we're in the game for once. Relevant for once and NOT for epic, epic failure. And not just in MLS, but internationally.

Well said Waggy. It speaks volumes to me how quickly people's expectations leap with every passing years change.

Looking forward to seeing if I dig out the old #14 kit later today for this season.

TFC/Everton
12-18-2013, 09:22 AM
2nd round of the draft. Probably DeRo.

I've heard that they are picking up 2 players in the draft today.

So, we shall see.

flamehawk
12-18-2013, 09:25 AM
My guess and hope is that the two picks will be dero and nana

andmat
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
I don't think they pick up Nana they could have picked him up in the first round if they wanted to, hes not making that much money,

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't think they pick up Nana they could have picked him up in the first round if they wanted to, hes not making that much money,

Me neither. What kind of cheap ass would you have to be to wait until the second round just to low ball him down from $66K.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 09:42 AM

It would have me pumped up about it and excited to see that player in a TFC shirt.

Wince
12-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I've heard that they are picking up 2 players in the draft today.

So, we shall see.

How many picks do we have today? Is it just one in the first and one in the second, or do we have some via trades, etc?

gdg_9
12-18-2013, 09:55 AM
How many picks do we have today? Is it just one in the first and one in the second, or do we have some via trades, etc?

The Re-entry draft just keeps going until no teams want to pick anymore.

There is not really defined picks per specific round. Once one round is done, they start at the top of the order and go through it again.

Wince
12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
The Re-entry draft just keeps going until no teams want to pick anymore.

There is not really defined picks per specific round. Once one round is done, they start at the top of the order and go through it again.

Oh ok. So where are we in the pick order? Are these draft picks the sort of things a team might include to try and sweeten a trade? Do teams try to move up if there is a player they really want?

All I can say is I'm super stoked to see who we snag in this draft!

andmat
12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Oh ok. So where are we in the pick order? Are these draft picks the sort of things a team might include to try and sweeten a trade? Do teams try to move up if there is a player they really want?

We pick number 3

Phil
12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
A lot of teams pass in the first round because you have to pick up the option on the contract. Second round you can take the player and work out new terms.

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 10:06 AM

We will be third and generally speaking teams do not deal to move up in this round. Teams would (should) have pre-negotiated deals with whomever they'd be picking already. Generally this whole thing isn't a big deal and expect a whole lot of teams to do a whole lot of passing today.

levyashin
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
3 names look good in the list of available players
Lindpere-Dero($150,000)-Attakora-all good quality bench 30 minute players.:scarf:

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 10:19 AM
3 names look good in the list of available players
Lindpere-Dero($150,000)-Attakora-all good quality bench 30 minute players.:scarf:

Same players I was looking at. If we could score all 3 for around $300K combined then we'd be talking.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 10:24 AM
The encouraging sign this time around is that TFC could conceivably add 4-5 quality players to an existing core that is already in place, as opposed to previous years in which the entire roster was dismantled repeatedly with no sense of continuity or cohesion. Among the incumbent players on our roster, I was impressed with Caldwell, Laba, Osorio, Rey, and Dike last season.

The last time we had the same core in place that finished a season we went 0-9 to start the next season....

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 10:37 AM
The last time we had the same core in place that finished a season we went 0-9 to start the next season....
Yeah but that core included Cann and Harden at CB. Talk about not addressing your issues in the off season. And then the upgrade was Iro :eek6:

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 10:43 AM

How is that relevant?

a) It was an entirely different, older core.

b) That team did not add 4-5 quality starters to the existing core to start the season.

If you want to find reasons to be pessimistic, be my guest, but really, we need to stop referencing the past failures of this team when evaluating the future trajectory of this club. It's not fair to the current management regime, the coach, or the players.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 10:50 AM
My guess and hope is that the two picks will be dero and nana

Co-signed.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah but that core included Cann and Harden at CB. Talk about not addressing your issues in the off season. And then the upgrade was Iro :eek6:

No that was the offseason they picked up Aceval and Caicedo.

The "talk about not addressing your issues in the off season" comment still stands though.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
How is that relevant?

a) It was an entirely different, older core.

b) That team did not add 4-5 quality starters to the existing core to start the season.

If you want to find reasons to be pessimistic, be my guest, but really, we need to stop referencing the past failures of this team when evaluating the future trajectory of this club. It's not fair to the current management regime, the coach, or the players.

I'm just saying this isn't the first time we've had the same core start the season.

Also, we believed we brought in solid players to address off season needs and complement the core.

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm just saying this isn't the first time we've had the same core start the season.

Also, we believed we brought in solid players to address off season needs and complement the core.

Fair enough, but again, two entirely different situations with respect to the player personnel involved, and I would argue that the cumulative pedigree of the current group of players (and the players reportedly set to join the team shortly) will be superior to that team that started 0-9 when all the dust settles.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Fair enough, but again, two entirely different situations with respect to the player personnel involved, and I would argue that the cumulative pedigree of the current group of players (and the players reportedly set to join the team shortly) will be superior to that team that started 0-9 when all the dust settles.

It'll be very difficult for any player to score at the level Koevermans did. That year we thought we'd have a fully fit Koef from the beginning of the season. The quality now is somewhat more proven, but there are question marks too. And we'll be integrating four or five starters. That's a lot of the first team even if much of the entire core is back. It'll take time.

I still can't separate this management from the previous, fair or not. It's still TFC.

Cautious optimism I think....

19Barrett19
12-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey boys I was working laying tile like I always do and I thought to myself to kick off the new season next year I have the most awesome chant/cheer/song for opening night this would be epic! I didn't know where to post this so sorry in advance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA&feature=youtube_gdata

Ivy
12-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Me neither. What kind of cheap ass would you have to be to wait until the second round just to low ball him down from $66K.
That made me laugh.
...then made me imagine doing Nana doing the cheque signing gesture after clearing a ball off the line.

Wince
12-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Hey boys I was working laying tile like I always do and I thought to myself to kick off the new season next year I have the most awesome chant/cheer/song for opening night this would be epic! I didn't know where to post this so sorry in advance.

GOLD!!! :hump:

lanarkist
12-18-2013, 12:16 PM

I am so entirely behind this - just the beginning on loop, whole stadium chanting it? One can dream

flatpicker
12-18-2013, 12:23 PM

At the risk of turning this into a discussion about Drake...
I admit, I haven't paid much attention to his music, but I'm never one to judge without giving it a chance. First of all, it could make a fine chant/song at games and if it works out, then great. That said, after hearing it, I think it's one of the most boring songs I've heard in a long time. I'm sure there must be more to the guy than tracks like that.

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 12:32 PM
I think it's one of the most boring songs I've heard in a long time. I'm sure there must be more to the guy than tracks like that.

Not really.

Pint
12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
If you are turning that into a chant then i have 1 suggestion:

"Half a million for a show" needs to be turned into " fifty million for Defoe"

Relja
12-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Only time this would be acceptable as a song is if we won the MLS cup.

mowe
12-18-2013, 01:03 PM
At the risk of turning this into a discussion about Drake...

Check out this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Jfsa7XnAI)and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp2PDAVRUJs), also from his new album. Just something a little different.

Slick
12-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Get Drake to capo one game, and he might get the whole place chanting.

Ben - D.O.W.
12-18-2013, 01:17 PM

Who was it that came over one game and tried this at half time? Kardinal? Ugh - did not go over well.

Yohan
not with the acoustics and short attention span of ppl that won't allow a chant to go on for few mins to allow it to spread to entire stadium

Alonso
Only time this would be acceptable as a song is if we won the MLS cup.

Agreed.

Getting way too ahead of reality here.

Canary10
12-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Agreed.

Getting way too ahead of reality here.

Unless it was "started from the bottom and we're still fuckn' here."

But that's not very positive, is it?

Yohan
12-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Who was it that came over one game and tried this at half time? Kardinal? Ugh - did not go over well.
yeah.

to be fair, it was at half time, and ppl were at washrooms and concession stands. and it was freaking cold

Super
12-18-2013, 01:26 PM
We need a roof to get any proper atmosphere going. Even back in year 1 it was tough to make out the words to songs because one row will be signing ahead of the next row. 112 is always a bit behind 113, and same with 111. A roof locks in the noise - like you see in England especially - and with the volume MUCH, MUCH higher it's way easier to spread the songs around. It's also more fun to sing when you feel like it's being heard.

KevBaller
12-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Started from the bottom would be an amazing chant but if this team flops lol...if its winning it would be great

KevBaller
12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Renovation with a roof and 25,000+ people with a decent team. :o

brad
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
DeRo selected in the re-entry draft. Have to think terms are already in place.

Ageroo
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
DeRo selected in the re-entry draft. Have to think terms are already in place.

He is out of country till new year....so I assume things were worked out before hand...but who knows.

Ben - D.O.W.
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
So that's what, Jackson, Morrow, Gilberto and Dero so far this off season? I'll take it (although I'd like to see that last DP deal get finished).

He is out of country till new year....so I assume things were worked out before hand...but who knows.

David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada 3m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/soccercanada/status/413400735540199424) Told DeRo and TFC already have a contract in place. No need to worry about that not getting done.

mcolvy
12-18-2013, 03:31 PM
We now have the 2-3 Hardened MLS Veterans... But my greed wants more. I presume we have room for more, so why not go for more.

Central Midfield playmaker I still think needs to be addressed. Maybe some help in the back?

Maybe we will be active come draft time since we have quite a few ins with the NCAA. Oleary, Nelsen, and Bez all are incredibly connected.
I could forsure see us taking a CB/RB prospect in the draft and defenders are usually easier to find within the draft.

HeyToronto
12-18-2013, 05:09 PM
We now have the 2-3 Hardened MLS Veterans... But my greed wants more. I presume we have room for more, so why not go for more.

Central Midfield playmaker I still think needs to be addressed. Maybe some help in the back?

Maybe we will be active come draft time since we have quite a few ins with the NCAA. Oleary, Nelsen, and Bez all are incredibly connected.
I could forsure see us taking a CB/RB prospect in the draft and defenders are usually easier to find within the draft.

Left mid is the biggest whole in the team right now. Assuming 2nd DP striker comes in or Earnshaw resigned if that doesn't play out.

Unless I'm mistaken that Jackson isn't a natural winger.

T-boy
12-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Whatever happens, we have to make sure Lambe gets about 30 minutes total as a last minute sub through the whole season MAX!

notthesun
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Left mid is the biggest whole in the team right now. Assuming 2nd DP striker comes in or Earnshaw resigned if that doesn't play out.

Unless I'm mistaken that Jackson isn't a natural winger.

Jackson is versatile but has played the large majority of his MLS career in wide midfield positions. Whoscored.com lists him as having played 21 right-sided midfield games (either RM or RW) and 7 left-sided midfield games last year, with only 1 appearance in the middle. We'll be using him as a wide mid. Rey will likely swap flanks with him multiple times during a match like he did with Convey.

Earnshaw is gone already, he rejected our contract offer a couple weeks ago.

Ultra & Proud
12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Whatever happens, we have to make sure Lambe gets about 30 minutes total as a last minute sub through the whole season MAX!

Well it looks like he has fallen down the wide player chart to almost oblivion with the DeRo signing so we won't be seeing much of him barring the Canadian Champ matches and our friendly.

jimiv
12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
I never want to see that spastic chicken goal dance again.

QFT!!!

Initial B
12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Just thinking that a number of the kids might be good candidates for loans to the Ottawa Fury next season...

pdubs
12-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Just thinking that a number of the kids might be good candidates for loans to the Ottawa Fury next season...

bekker, welshman, aparicio would make sense. especially with the depth we just added

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 05:56 PM

I gotta say, this is brilliant, and so fitting in so many ways. If this chant also caught on after every goal that one of Drake's recruits scored (ie. Gilberto, Defoe), that would be epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubBzkZzpUA

Soccerpro
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Thank God there is another supporter who isn't spewing that "he's good for an MLS backup" crap.

Game after game after game I cannot understand why Reggie Lambe is in MLS. Just look at his stats. He doesn't add assists, he doesn't add goals. As a wide midfielder he should be creating, he isn't. TFC might as well play a defender in his position, it would serve the same purpose as Reggie Lambe.

moralis
12-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Interesting article from Neil Davidson about Leiwke and DP's (IE DEFOE):

http://metronews.ca/sports/888807/leiweke-asks-for-patience-in-final-dp-deal/

pdubs
12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Leiweke asks fans for patience with signings

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/leiweke-asks-for-fans-for-patience-with-signings/ (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/leiweke-asks-for-fans-for-patience-with-signings/)

jazzy
12-18-2013, 06:36 PM
yeah.

to be fair, it was at half time, and ppl were at washrooms and concession stands. and it was freaking cold

yup it was bad weather and empty...he gave it his all....running around the perimeter .. He is a class act and solidly supports TO with humble energy . His music, rap is much more melodic and I say interesting/crafty than some more 'famous' locals......solid citizen...just sayin...but way off topic . just giving respect where it's due .

Ossington Mental Youth
12-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Leiweke asks fans for patience with signings

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/leiweke-asks-for-fans-for-patience-with-signings/ (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/leiweke-asks-for-fans-for-patience-with-signings/)

Does make one think the Defoe situation is all but wrapped up

Jack
12-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Does make one think the Defoe situation is all but wrapped up
It's funny, eh? We're almost afraid to feel positive about anything, because we keep expecting that kick in the nuts that MLSE brought for so many years just after the friendly smile and handshake.

19Barrett19
12-18-2013, 08:12 PM
I would like to think we are not a bottom team anymore but more is needed. Defoe and one more CB at least

ManUtd4ever
12-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I would like to think we are not a bottom team anymore but more is needed. Defoe and one more CB at least

...and another right back.

JavierMartini
12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Dero scores the winning goal in the 90th minute of the cup finals. You heard it here first.

Then does the cheque signing gesture and walks off the field. Perfect retirement.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/counterattack/files/2010/09/DeRo-cheque-signing1.jpg

Ossington Mental Youth
12-18-2013, 10:41 PM
It's funny, eh? We're almost afraid to feel positive about anything, because we keep expecting that kick in the nuts that MLSE brought for so many years just after the friendly smile and handshake.

Ridiculous hey? Too scared to feel positive but definitely don't feel negative. Positively apprehensive? Is that a thing?

OgtheDim
12-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Despite the animosity that still exists towards him from many hard core supporters, the general sentiment among the casual fan base is that his departure was the biggest mistake in the history of the franchise. ....

Most casuals think the biggest mistake was in sucking. Never overestimate the amount of football knowledge supporters have.

MightyDM
12-18-2013, 11:17 PM
We need a roof to get any proper atmosphere going. Even back in year 1 it was tough to make out the words to songs because one row will be signing ahead of the next row. 112 is always a bit behind 113, and same with 111. A roof locks in the noise - like you see in England especially - and with the volume MUCH, MUCH higher it's way easier to spread the songs around. It's also more fun to sing when you feel like it's being heard.

The stadium was rocking without a roof for years. And this is the argument they will use to justify the Argos sharing the field ( the fans want changes and this is the only way we can afford it) Better to leave well enough alone.

Waggy
12-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Ridiculous hey? Too scared to feel positive but definitely don't feel negative. Positively apprehensive? Is that a thing?

I believe it's called cautious optimism ;). Or probably more accurately guardedly optimistic. Either way, what a welcome change. God was it depressing for a few years there.

Super
12-19-2013, 12:21 AM
The stadium was rocking without a roof for years. And this is the argument they will use to justify the Argos sharing the field ( the fans want changes and this is the only way we can afford it) Better to leave well enough alone.

It was rocking, but chants were very hard to understand from outside of the supporters section. That's why we should build a roof. That's not pro-Argos. That's pro-atmosphere. I hope Leiweke knows that bringing the Argos to BMO would spell the end of the club.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2013, 12:54 AM
I believe it's called cautious optimism ;). Or probably more accurately guardedly optimistic. Either way, what a welcome change. God was it depressing for a few years there.

Biggest reason i dipped out and didnt bother to post

Yohan
12-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Just noticed there are 2 guys over 30 on this team. Caldwell and DeRo if he signs.

Waggy
12-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Biggest reason i dipped out and didnt bother to post

The day the first news of a possible Defoe signing leaked out my first thought was "Man, I should check the RPB forum, find out how accurate that is" immediately followed by "wait, fuck that. I'm not going to let reading that shit ruin my good mood". That this board could welcome Dero back to the city civilly whether people agree with it or disagree with it is something I'd never have thought I'd see. It's great to have this place back again.

Prof
12-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Just noticed there are 2 guys over 30 on this team. Caldwell and DeRo if he signs.

Leaf Players 30 and over

Joffrey Lupul (http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470207) "A"

6' 1"
23 Sep 1983
Fort Saskatchewan, AB, CAN

Jay McClement (http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8469508) "A"

6' 1"
2 Mar 1983
Kingston, ON, CAN

Colton Orr (http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468778) **
6' 3"
3 Mar 1982
Winnipeg, MB, CAN

Jerred Smithson (http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468162)
6' 3"
4 Feb 1979
Vernon, BC, CAN

John-Michael Liles (http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468639)
5' 10"
25 Nov 1980
Indianapolis, IN, USA

Yohan
12-19-2013, 09:15 AM
The day the first news of a possible Defoe signing leaked out my first thought was "Man, I should check the RPB forum, find out how accurate that is" immediately followed by "wait, fuck that. I'm not going to let reading that shit ruin my good mood". That this board could welcome Dero back to the city civilly whether people agree with it or disagree with it is something I'd never have thought I'd see. It's great to have this place back again.
DeRo will lead us to more midnight drunk Chinese food hunt in Mtl! ;)

DigzTFC!
12-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Well we know O'Leary is in London at the Wyscout Forum

EXCLUSIVA TMW - WyScout, Toronto FC: "Buscamos jugadores en Italia" http://bit.ly/1kYzWwQ (http://t.co/R2MM46QnNZ)

(https://twitter.com/FlavioGiordani/status/413728552878497792)
Frank O'Leary, director of Toronto FC, ​​interviewed exclusively by TuttoMercatoWeb.com WyScout Forum in London, gives the impression that the Canadian club is looking at Alberto Gilardino and Amauri: "Do not ask me names, we're looking at players in Italy, it is true but also we're looking in other parts of the world. We're looking to get by next summer, but in the next market window will work fine. can only sign for next season to a player outside the salary caps. "Amauri Gilardino or candidates.

moralis
12-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Genoa fans start twitter campaign to keep Gilardino and not let him go to Toronto FC:

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/12/genoa-fans-start-gilardino-twitter-campaign/

(http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/12/genoa-fans-start-gilardino-twitter-campaign/)https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AlbertoGilardino%20&src=typd&f=realtime

notthesun
12-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Not that they need much of a campaign. Things look good on the Defoe front, and if we get him we'll have no interest in Gilardino.

gdg_9
12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
So what else would you like to see TFC do this off-season.

My IDEAL list as of now would be as follows:

- DP Striker (Defoe)
- Box-to-box CM with some playmaking abilities (Dax? Feilhaber? Castrillon?)
- Starting LW (Marvin Chavez?)
- Starting RB (Kevin Alston? Heath Pearce?)
- Depth CB with MLS experience.

Trade/Transfer/Buyout - Ecks, Elmer, Lambe

DeRo & Oso would be first choice Subs or Rotation players behind new LW and/or CM.
Jackson would take Lambe's spot as sub/rotation behind Rey at RW as well as a fill-in utility MF.
Bloom would drop behind or at least be challanged by new RB (leaving Richter as a 5th FB or Utility D).

Obviously that is alot to ask for, and likely won't happen. I think a solid box-to-box CM with some playmaking ability will be especially difficult to find.
BUT the Cap flexibility IS there to do it, and that squad would be beyond just competitive and into legitimate contender status IMO.

Yohan
12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
So what else would you like to see TFC do this off-season.

- DP Striker (Defoe)

Trade/Transfer/Buyout - Ecks, Elmer, Lambe

DeRo & Oso would be first choice Subs or Rotation players behind new LW and/or CM.
Jackson would take Lambe's spot as sub/rotation behind Rey at RW as well as a fill-in utility MF.
Bloom would drop behind or at least be challanged by new RB (leaving Richter as a 5th FB or Utility D).

Obviously that is alot to ask for, and likely won't happen. I think a solid box-to-box CM with some playmaking ability will be especially difficult to find.
BUT the Cap flexibility IS there to do it, and that squad would be beyond just competitive and into legitimate contender status IMO.
Chavez is a RW. Pearce is LB/CB. Feilhaber is not a box to box CM

gdg_9
12-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Chavez is a RW. Pearce is LB/CB. Feilhaber is not a box to box CM

Yes, Chavez played primarily RW in SJ, but he is naturally Left-footed and has played some LW in his career.
I think he'd be a great compliment playing opposite side from Rey, whose right-footed, but also likes to switch over to the left side.

Call whichever one LW and RW you want...

Yohan
12-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes, Chavez played primarily RW in SJ, but he is naturally Left-footed and has played some LW in his career.
I think he'd be a great compliment playing opposite side from Rey, whose right-footed, but also likes to switch over to the left side.

Call whichever one LW and RW you want...
I suppose. he's comfortable enough with both feet. i'm surprised nobody took Chavez in RED. wonder if he's asking for a lot of money

jloome
12-19-2013, 06:08 PM
I suppose. he's comfortable enough with both feet. i'm surprised nobody took Chavez in RED. wonder if he's asking for a lot of money

Think it was $244,000. Could be wrong. San Jose fans, anyone?

Yohan
12-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Think it was $244,000. Could be wrong. San Jose fans, anyone?
175k according to players union. that's almost a bargain to what he can do

edit: he's still under contract at SJ. may be looking at Euro move

gdg_9
12-19-2013, 06:26 PM

He wasn't in Re-entry.

He's still under contract with SJ, but has asked for a trade.

http://www.quakerattleandgoal.com/2013/11/28/5155926/marvin-chavez-trade-san-jose-earthquakes-leaves-ahead-of-2014-MLS-season

DigzTFC!
12-19-2013, 06:44 PM

- DP Striker (Defoe)

This is very ambitious. It would cost about $1 million with all those signings.

We only really need a vet at DM & CM. Our wings are fine. Our forwards are fine with a DP.

We need to take into account the players we have and how many players we have the can play multiple positions.

Striker depth: DP, Gilberto, Dike, DeRo, Weideman, Welshman, Jackson
Wing depth: Rey, Osorio, Jackson, Lambe, DeRo, Welshman
RB: Jackson, Richter, Bloom, Hall

Problem area:
CM: Laba, Osorio, Hall
CB: Caldwell, Henry, Boss.

Hendry Thomas is my CM to help cover a very young Henry

Milanista
12-19-2013, 07:10 PM
http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/12/genoa-fans-start-gilardino-twitter-campaign/

69Chevy396
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Not that they need much of a campaign. Things look good on the Defoe front, and if we get him we'll have no interest in Gilardino.
Too bad, because I think Gilardino would be the better signing, both on the field and in ticket sales.

cwell
12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
@ Waggy: came across this late, but would like to say I'm glad I did. It's great to see your love for the game and for your long-time team. It's looking very much as though TFC have indeed managed to acquire Defoe. And even if something comes up meaning that a deal can't be made, I give TL and TB full credit for trying. Looking very much forward to the new season.

69Chevy396
12-19-2013, 08:46 PM
He won't leave Italy with the WC approaching. I don't think people on this board appreciate Gialardino and how he, more than Defoe, could lead us out of the MLS basement. A better player than that guy in Montreal, he could score 20 goals next season if he would exit Serie A.

TFC07
12-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Too bad, because I think Gilardino would be the better signing, both on the field and in ticket sales.

He still scoring goals unlike Defoe, but Gilardino wouldn't be available after world cup. I believe that TFC can potentially use allocation money to pay down Laba's salary so they can sign two DP's, but not sure if TFC has enough allocation money to pay down Laba's salary though.

Ultra & Proud
12-19-2013, 10:26 PM
He won't leave Italy with the WC approaching. I don't think people on this board appreciate Gialardino and how he, more than Defoe, could lead us out of the MLS basement. A better player than that guy in Montreal, he could score 20 goals next season if he would exit Serie A.
Both players could be potential golden boot winners if our team functioned well. Either way, we'd be getting a good player. Most likely the best one ever to wear our uniform at the time that they were here.

ManUtd4ever
12-19-2013, 10:27 PM
TFC has to make a serious push for the playoffs next season. If the choices are Defoe in January or Gilardino in August, Defoe is the right choice.

As for the impact on ticket sales, I think either player would have a comparable effect, with the main difference being that Gilardino would help penetrate a demographic market that hasn't fully embraced TFC yet.

Ultra & Proud
12-19-2013, 10:29 PM
As for the impact on ticket sales, I think either player would have a comparable effect, with the main difference being that Gilardino would help penetrate a demographic market that hasn't fully embraced TFC yet.

This whole deal doesn't mean anything to me. We're here and for most part we've all been here from day one so I don't care about deals being done to entice new fans to come. I want deals done to restore the faith and pride in us old ones.

ManUtd4ever
12-19-2013, 10:34 PM
This whole deal doesn't mean anything to me. We're here and for most part we've all been here from day one so I don't care about deals being done to entice new fans to come. I want deals done to restore the faith and pride in us old ones.

I don't disagree with you at all, I'm just stating the obvious.

Ultra & Proud
12-19-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't disagree with you at all, I'm just stating the obvious.
Yeah I know that from your posts but some people seem to be putting too much emphasis on tapping certain markets and filling seats. Let the team try to fill us with pride and maybe some happiness first, then worry about appeasing various ethnic communities and getting more season ticket sales. Old saying; take care of your own house first. That house is us.

Abou Sky
12-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah I know that from your posts but some people seem to be putting too much emphasis on tapping certain markets and filling seats. Let the team try to fill us with pride and maybe some happiness first, then worry about appeasing various ethnic communities and getting more season ticket sales. Old saying; take care of your own house first. That house is us.

Agreed, give people a quality product and they will come.

Milanista
12-19-2013, 11:15 PM
gila is more of an all around player but he was always going to be a long shot to leave Italy…Italians in general rarely want to leave the league, they stay domestic.

Abou Sky
12-19-2013, 11:31 PM
gila is more of an all around player but he was always going to be a long shot to leave Italy…Italians in general rarely want to leave the league, they stay domestic.

As I understand it, they don't want to leave their club.

Buffon stuck it out through relegation, that is character!

I hope TFC is that club one day.

boozilla
12-20-2013, 02:22 AM
As I understand it, they don't want to leave their club.

Buffon stuck it out through relegation, that is character!

I hope TFC is that club one day.
I hear you. Constantly revolving doors in a one tier league can't teach loyalty.

MarkoftheDrink
12-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Speaking of loyalty, I would love to see this kid get a second chance:
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2013/LifeAfterTorontoFCNicholasLindsay.aspx

Sounds like he had a good year, obviously a step down from MLS but wouldn't hurt to have him at training camp.

Last I remember hearing about him was he lost a step and was never the same. Has anyone seen him over the past year?

Oldtimer
12-20-2013, 08:01 AM
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2013/LifeAfterTorontoFCNicholasLindsay.aspx

Sounds like he had a good year, obviously a step down from MLS but wouldn't hurt to have him at training camp.

Last I remember hearing about him was he lost a step and was never the same. Has anyone seen him over the past year?

Yeah, it was kind of sad how his accident set him back, then once he was well, he had to deal with Mariner, who would not give the Canadian youth any chance in favour of Bermudan imports and the like. I'm glad his personal life is going well, but it would be nice to give him a second chance, I think he had potential.

flamehawk
12-20-2013, 08:36 AM

Was that bit about the argument between Winter and Mariner? I am guessing Winter wanted to sub him on and Mariner didn't?

Canary10
12-20-2013, 01:22 PM
With all the moves this week, I'm curious to hear where people think TFC is at. Where do you think there are still gaps (if anywhere)? Besides the obvious DP, are there any more starters we need?

Pint
12-20-2013, 01:28 PM
3rd CB and another CM (doesn't need to be a starter but someone who can come in if injuries hit).

If we have cap space then another attacking player, either a winger or striker as i want us to have the depth to win the canadain championships and make a CCL run without jeopardizing league play.

reggie
12-20-2013, 01:29 PM
I think we really need another CB,i like Henry and he will be a solid player in about 2 yrs,but not has a starter.

Abou Sky
12-20-2013, 01:30 PM
With all the moves this week, I'm curious to hear where people think TFC is at. Where do you think there are still gaps (if anywhere)? Besides the obvious DP, are there any more starters we need?

Aren't we still short a Right Back?

MLS has quite a few, although there may be someone from Europe coming once transfer windows open.

Canary10
12-20-2013, 01:35 PM
3rd CB and another CM (doesn't need to be a starter but someone who can come in if injuries hit).

If we have cap space then another attacking player, either a winger or striker as i want us to have the depth to win the canadain championships and make a CCL run without jeopardizing league play.

You mean the CB doesn't need to be a starter, or both the CM and CB?

I'm guessing pitcher Justin Morrow goes in at left back. Bloom had, what, six starts? So you can barely say he's integrated with the back line. I think they have to for sure keep the Caldwell and Henry partnership as the number one. Any more change than that with your starting defenders is too much I think.

Doucet3
12-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Well if we throw together a rough depth chart based on RN favorite 4-4-2 formation this is what she looks like.

------------------Bendik-----------------
-----------------Konopka----------------
------------------Roberts----------------
-------------------------------------------
Bloom----Henry----Caldwell----Morrow
Ritcher---Agboss---*CB*-------Morgan
------------------------------------Elmer
-------------Laba----Osorio--------------
------------Bekker----Hall---------------
Rey------------------------------Jackson
DeRo-----------------------------Lambe
------------Defoe-----Gilberto-----------
-------------Dike-------Weids------------
-------------Welshman-------------------

With this I think we need to shift formation to 4-1-2-1-2 (4-4-2 Diamond Form in mid with 2 ST) and have Osorio as a CAM with DeRo subbing him in or out. and then that translates in one Laba and Hall as CDM's and Rey-Bekker & Jackson-Lambe as wing depth. Id like to see another beckup CB to cover Caldwell incase of injury or fatigue aswell as maybe a Utility CM (Brad Evans SEA? cheap and versatile) as well as a starter at RB to help solidiy the line... maybe even see if Morgan can switch sides

Pint
12-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Ya a non starter CB that is better than Boss, so depth at CB would be: Caldwell - Henry - XXXX - Boss - Morrow(if injuries hit).

RB is a need depending on Jackson and if they plan on using him as a winger or a RB, but i would imagine we could use an upgrade on Bloom.

CM: we could use an upgrade on hall as laba's backup, we do have youth in Becker but i would imagine that he will be limited again this year in terms of playing time as Nelsen shapes him into the type of player he envisions for him.

We have a few holes but this is the MLS and this is a Capped league, it is hard to always have the depth you would want in every position.

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 01:45 PM
I am glad we are upgrading portions of the backline and 47 goals against last season isn't the greatest no doubt...but considering in 2012 we let in 62 and 2011 59...I say our back line is not that bad....and will only get better with playing together.

reggie
12-20-2013, 01:46 PM
there was a tweet a while back about a young Nigerian RB joining the club.any more news on that?

Canary10
12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I think Bloom starts this year. 1 new starting defender out of 4 is good continuity. And Morgan there in case pitcher Justin Morrow needs time to adjust.

Pint
12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I am glad we are upgrading portions of the backline and 47 goals against last season isn't the greatest no doubt...but considering in 2012 we let in 62 and 2011 59...I say our back line is not that bad....and will only get better with playing together.

The backline should improve by default with the upgraded mid and forwards.

We should be able to have other teams on their heels instead of the other way around which has been the case the past few years.

Yohan
12-20-2013, 01:53 PM
borderline starter RB (to push Bloom, who I rate)
depth box to box CM/AM (pending on what formation Nelsen is playing next season)
starting LW (because don't have one yet)
starter CB (not convinced Henry is ready to be full time CB yet)

Canary10
12-20-2013, 02:09 PM
^ I think they gotta stick with Henry though. You don't want a lot of change at the back. I share your concern though. Central mid has to be the priority I would think.

Abou Sky
12-20-2013, 02:17 PM
^ I think they gotta stick with Henry though. You don't want a lot of change at the back. I share your concern though. Central mid has to be the priority I would think.

I think Henry will be a star CB and Caldwell seems to be a great teacher, I would expect that he continues to grow and develop.

Chevy
12-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Well if we throw together a rough depth chart based on RN favorite 4-4-2 formation this is what she looks like.

With this I think we need to shift formation to 4-1-2-1-2 (4-4-2 Diamond Form in mid with 2 ST) and have Osorio as a CAM with DeRo subbing him in or out. and then that translates in one Laba and Hall as CDM's and Rey-Bekker & Jackson-Lambe as wing depth. Id like to see another beckup CB to cover Caldwell incase of injury or fatigue aswell as maybe a Utility CM (Brad Evans SEA? cheap and versatile) as well as a starter at RB to help solidiy the line... maybe even see if Morgan can switch sides

Wow, have we EVER had a depth chart that was this complete in December? Hell, have we ever had a depth chart this complete in June?

Ageroo
12-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't think we've ever had a depth chart ;)

Ultra & Proud
12-20-2013, 02:39 PM

It's amazing that it's only December and we have this assembled. If we fielded this team today I think it'd hold up alright in MLS play. Plus I assume we'll have someone coming in the draft, possibly some trialists in Orlando, and maybe even those loan (trials?) like we did last year. It's amazing what happens when you have a GM and manager on the same page and act decisively to get the roster settled sooner rather than later. I guess no more players hitching cabs to fill out our match one roster for a change.

Canary10
12-20-2013, 02:48 PM
I think DeRo goes as a forward in the 4-4-2 though. And Yohan is right, that we need another left winger. Or one actual left winger.

pdubs
12-20-2013, 02:51 PM
put rey on the left and jackson on the right. think that is the plan. dero for depth on left, osorio can play the right. agree if we can work in more depth all the better.

also don't we only have 2 roster spot left? with 3 more roster spots for entry level contracts?

AdamAM
12-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Any news on Defoe? It seemed pretty much a done deal a couple of days ago, and now even KickTV is reporting it as a done deal, but I haven't heard anything new... will we have to wait until the January transfer window to officially hear TFC make a statement on him? or are they allowed to say something now?

Joe Kool
12-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Any news on Defoe? It seemed pretty much a done deal a couple of days ago, and now even KickTV is reporting it as a done deal, but I haven't heard anything new... will we have to wait until the January transfer window to officially hear TFC make a statement on him? or are they allowed to say something now?

TL basically said wait for January window to open and then an announcement will come. No getting around the rules regarding the window. We need to be patient.

I say enjoy Christmas and New Year's everyone then expect to hear something soon after. That is how I am approaching it.

gdg_9
12-20-2013, 03:39 PM

My thoughts:

-----------------------------------------
*RB*-------Henry----Caldwell----Morrow
Bloom------Agboss-----*CB*-----Morgan
Ritcher------------------------------------
-------------Laba---*Box-to-Box CM*----
-------------Hall------Osorio---------------
-----------------Bekker--------------------
Rey------------------------------*Winger*
Jackson-------------------------------DeRo
------------Defoe-----Gilberto-------------
-------------Dike-------Weids--------------

This means Lambe, Elmer and Ecks are somehow dropped (transferred, traded, bought out). Ecks and Elmer are obvious, and in my mind Jackson makes Lambe surplus.

Roberts, Welshman, Apparicio go out on loan to get playing time.

Our biggest need IMO is a solid box-to-box midfielder as a link between Laba and the attackers.
I still think we also need a starting quality winger to play opposite Rey. If we truly want to contend, I don't think DeRo, Jackson, or Osorio are the best options as starters on the W.

Those two additions would give us a very well defined, quality starting MF.
It also works out the the rest of the MF coming off the bench and/or rotating in has a ton of flexibilty.

DeRo can come in on the W, or as an AM if we want to switch up the look.
Same goes for Osorio.
Bekker can come in to play as a deep lying, distributing CM.
Hall can either backup Laba, or come in beside him for a more defensive look.
And Jackson can come in pretty much anywhere.

We also have decent depth up front, with Defoe, Gilberto, Dike and Weids, and can move DeRo up there as well if need be.

I do think we still need another RB to at least challenge Bloom for a spot. If Bloom wins out as the starter, great! But I think he is too inexperienced to rely on as a starter going into a season.

And then we need a depth CB for cover. I'm fine pencilling Henry in as a starter, but I think we need a legitimate backup option in case he faulters.

Canary10
12-20-2013, 03:42 PM
DeRo didn't play on the wing at all with DC last year. In their 4-4-2 he was played as a forward. The odd time they played him as the AM in a 4-2-3-1 but with two DP forwards I assume we aren't using that formation. I think DeRo is late sub up front.

Doucet3
12-20-2013, 03:55 PM
It's amazing that it's only December and we have this assembled. If we fielded this team today I think it'd hold up alright in MLS play. Plus I assume we'll have someone coming in the draft, possibly some trialists in Orlando, and maybe even those loan (trials?) like we did last year. It's amazing what happens when you have a GM and manager on the same page and act decisively to get the roster settled sooner rather than later. I guess no more players hitching cabs to fill out our match one roster for a change.

Wow, have we EVER had a depth chart that was this complete in December? Hell, have we ever had a depth chart this complete in June?

I know right?, like our team right now looks like a competitive team and were still not even done the offseason. Look at our lineup this way, tell me if youd prefer this formation

-----------------Laba---------------------
-----------------Hall----------------------
Bekker----------------------------Lambe
----------------Osorio--------------------
----------------DeRo---------------------

this looks a lot more dangerous and attack oriented. and seems to make our depth needs not as steep

MartinUtd
12-20-2013, 04:36 PM
DeRo didn't play on the wing at all with DC last year. In their 4-4-2 he was played as a forward. The odd time they played him as the AM in a 4-2-3-1 but with two DP forwards I assume we aren't using that formation. I think DeRo is late sub up front.

I keep trying to think of situations where he's playing from the midfield and I just don't see it happening. Especially now that he's a bit older I don't expect much from DeRo on the defensive side of the ball. It's got to be better to play him as a forward and not rely on him tracking back too often. He's not a winger, he's not a central midfield and I doubt we'll be using an AM. Having said that I can see him being first off the bench ahead of Dike and the others.

Red I
12-20-2013, 04:41 PM
I think DeRo is late sub up front.

If you leave DeRo off the starting lineup (assuming Defoe is the remaining DP to be signed) you have no-one who is capable of hurting you from set pieces -

i think you leave a threat on the bench if Dero's a sub - set piece goals have been at a massive premium ever since Guevara and the above mentioned left

Yohan
12-20-2013, 04:48 PM
If you leave DeRo off the starting lineup (assuming Defoe is the remaining DP to be signed) you have no-one who is capable of hurting you from set pieces -

i think you leave a threat on the bench if Dero's a sub - set piece goals have been at a massive premium ever since Guevara and the above mentioned left
DeRo is not that good at set pieces either. Better than anyone else on the team, but not by much