PDA

View Full Version : “Mark it down, write it down, film it …. We’re going to turn TFC around..."

SuperTCP
10-29-2013, 03:54 PM
“Mark it down, write it down, film it …. We’re going to turn TFC around and we’re going to make the playoffs next year. We know where we’re headed, we know how to get there. We’ve been given the resources of this ownership group and we will get to the right place.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/leiweke-promises-tfc-will-make-playoffs/

Flipityflu
10-29-2013, 04:03 PM
oh, is it that time of the year again...'we will make the playoffs next year' day.

the only thing i want to hear is that the Argos will not be playing at BMO. if that happens, I couldn't care less what happens to the team.

Initial B
10-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Okay, I've marked it down. Now lets see what excuse TL comes up with next year.

Someone should ask if he's willing to stake his job on it.

TFC_Allez
10-29-2013, 04:24 PM
And this is EXACTLY the kind of shit that consistently gets management in trouble!!!! TL: KEEP YOUR F***ING MOUTH SHUT AND SHOW US!

ensco
10-29-2013, 04:54 PM
So sick of this phoney "commitment" game.

He is not effing Nostradamus.

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2013, 05:08 PM
I knew Leiweke had a reputation for being somewhat of a blowhard when he was hired by MLSE, but his incessant bluster during the first few months of his tenure is just getting ridiculous.

Redcoe15
10-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Listen up Tim Lieweke: Talk is fucking cheap! And in TFC's case, worthless!

We've heard this bullshit before after each dissapointing season! We are fucking sick and fucking tired of this! We are NOT interested in big words you think will impressive us! We want action! Solid, foundation building action! After seven fucking seasons of our team missing the playoffs, while everyone else in MLS has succeeded in doing so - including teams that no longer exist, the last thing we need is your ego jizzing all over our faces!

You're already on a short leash with all this Argos to BMO Field claptrap, which seems to have started the minute you showed up here! When it comes to what needs to be done to build this shitpile of a franchise, then just get on with it, and SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE, MOTHERFUCKER! This isn't LA/Hollywood you're dealing with here!

And one more thing: If you do bring the Argos to BMO Field, then your name is mud!

reggie
10-29-2013, 06:11 PM
what do want him to say,we are going to suck and not make the playoffs...geeezzz people.

backbeat
10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
what do want him to say,we are going to suck and not make the playoffs...geeezzz people.

:iagree:

I'd rather he was saying this than it will take a few years - actually i'd be shocked if he didn't say it - we really better make the playoffs next year - we cleared the cap space and contracts and can bring on 2 attacking DPs

keep the pressure on

we MUST make the payoffs next year - no, ifs ands or buts - period - full stop

reggie
10-29-2013, 06:21 PM
I jus want the buzz back..a packed stadium,a roof,some winning futbol..

Kaz
10-29-2013, 06:23 PM
why would he say that... what kinda of stupid idiot would say something like that.

billyfly
10-29-2013, 06:34 PM
It's because he has players in sight that he believes will make the difference.

mowe
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Seriously, people get upset over anything. The CEO of TFC believes his team will be successful next year. More news at 11.

Marc"2L"
10-29-2013, 06:59 PM
At the end of the 1pm hour of Tim and Sid they have the audio, it's pretty obviously everybody knows they shouldn't talk and yet it continues.

ag futbol
10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
People don't like it because they've heard it numerous times before and it wasn't followed by any success whatsoever.

Chevy
10-29-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm with the majority here. I like the positivity from TL, but FFS does he not realize that we have heard this line before? Keep your trap shut, sign some quality, win some games, THEN feel free to unleash the ego.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FoTbY138d0Q/UGXFjTnSR4I/AAAAAAAAAmo/Vn-pUm7nudY/s1600/Off+Fuck.jpg

Masked Man
10-29-2013, 07:38 PM
I kind of like it. If that's what your goal is then why not state it? Much better that than non-committal fence sitting or talking about how cyclical sports is like his predecessor did. Leiweke is showing by his statements that he is determined to turn this sad sack club around & he has a plan in how to do that. Why not wait & see what they do before jumping all over the guy? It's not his fault that the people before him were all talk, no action.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Sounds like renewal time.

Ivy
10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
He's gonna create an account on this forum and post some of his snapchat pics when TFC wins the cup next year.

Shakes McQueen
10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Other imporant bullet points from the article:

– Given 17 of 19 Toronto FC games were played in rain at BMO Field this season, “we’ve got to put an end to that, it’s time to put a roof on BMO Field.”
– At the requests of the city of Toronto, which owns BMO Field, MLSE is looking at whether the venue can be changed to accommodate the CFL. “The Argos are part of a conversation, not a decision that’s been made.”
– MLSE is looking at whether a larger block of tickets should be freed up to get some new Leafs fans in the ACC to make the venue livelier.

If Leiweke wants to confidently proclaim we are playoff bound next season, that's fine with me. It gives us a clear expectation to judge him by. It also puts pressure on him to do what's necessary to make it happen. I'd sooner have this, than have him hide behind more nebulous vows of "progress", or "building a winner" or somehing. He clearly wants to be quoted on this promise, so let's hold him to it.

Aside from that, he seems committed to a roof at BMO, which is good. As is opening up more tickets at the ACC to actual Leafs fans.

His bluster and bravado doesn't bother me at all, as long as he brings the results.

- Scott

billyfly
10-29-2013, 09:29 PM
TL also called Rob Ford "Tommy Boy" and said you're better to have breakfast with Rob then dinner....lol

Alonso
10-29-2013, 09:31 PM
It's because he has players in sight that he believes will make the difference.

Sarcasm\ I've never heard such a thing before /Sarcasm

billyfly
10-29-2013, 09:39 PM
They "had" Forlan. They will get someone else (or two).

TOBOR !
10-29-2013, 10:20 PM
I knew Leiweke had a reputation for being somewhat of a blowhard when he was hired by MLSE, but his incessant bluster during the first few months of his tenure is just getting ridiculous.

He`s selling what people are buying.

TOBOR !
10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Listen up Tim Lieweke: Talk is fucking cheap! And in TFC's case, worthless!

I see what you did there.

habstfc
10-30-2013, 02:10 AM
It's because he has players in sight that he believes will make the difference.i'll take it a step further and suggest he already has agreements in place with some of the names we've been hearing about lately.

tfcleeds
10-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Other imporant bullet points from the article:

– Given 17 of 19 Toronto FC games were played in rain at BMO Field this season, “we’ve got to put an end to that, it’s time to put a roof on BMO Field.”

- Scott

Maybe we shouldn't put an end to it. Maybe we'd actually make the playoffs if all our matches were played in rain. We do seem to do rather well after all in that kind of weather.

As for Leiweke, he doesn't seem to think we've heard this all before. Actions, not words, please.

Damien
10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
If tfc DOES make the playoffs TL will come out smelling like roses.

TFC07
10-30-2013, 07:34 AM
When did we heard of this talk before? Since when and from who? It always been building a core or changing culture talk, but not we are going to make it in the playoffs next year talk. This is actually first time someone in management is saying we're going to make the playoffs next season. It seems like TL already has his 2 DP's! I wish he said we are going to win championship, but I guess that talk will happen year after next season. :scarf:

tfcleeds
10-30-2013, 07:41 AM
When did we heard of this talk before? Since when and from who? It always been building a core or changing culture talk, but not we are going to make it in the playoffs next year talk. This is actually first time someone in management is saying we're going to make the playoffs next season. It seems like TL already has his 2 DP's! I wish he said we are going to win championship, but I guess that talk will happen year after next season. :scarf:

Being a bit nitpicky perhaps, but I recall Winter saying we'd still make the playoffs after our 0-9 start. But you're right in the sense that I don't recall the top brass coming right out and saying it. I think it's always been us and the media that's been saying we had to make the playoffs this year, the year before, the year before that...

It's still empty talk though, without actions (which I'm assuming we'll see shortly)

cwell
10-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Either that or he's been driven nuts when it finally dawned on him that turning around three losing teams is a huge challenge. Strikes me though that he knows exactly what he's doing by publicly aiming for the playoffs next year, which is showing some leadership. He gives me the impression that he'll take to the field himself if that's what it takes!
i'll take it a step further and suggest he already has agreements in place with some of the names we've been hearing about lately.

Oldtimer
10-30-2013, 08:35 AM
It's just words at this point.

How about Nelsen taking some coaching classes in the off-season? That would impress me more than adding a DP or 2. Then it might show some commitment.

tfcleeds
10-30-2013, 08:38 AM
^Also, I hope Nelsen takes some training on dealing with the media.

TFC_Allez
10-30-2013, 09:34 AM
hmmmmm...after sleeping on it, I got to thinking: maybe TL's constant positive outlook is what was meant by "a culture change" within MLSE? He's set the bar high, knows what is necessary in order to achieve it, and has the means to achieve it. I do think the team is in a good spot heading into the off season...maybe a better spot than in past years, but FAR from "there".

Or maybe I'm just crazy and all of this is to try and boost season ticket sales and renewals...

Time will tell :)

jabbronies
10-30-2013, 12:14 PM
:iagree:

I'd rather he was saying this than it will take a few years - actually i'd be shocked if he didn't say it - we really better make the playoffs next year - we cleared the cap space and contracts and can bring on 2 attacking DPs

keep the pressure on

we MUST make the payoffs next year - no, ifs ands or buts - period - full stop

I agree. I like that he is insistent that this should happen next year. This is MLS - things don't happen in 5 years, they can turn around in a year as long as you are smart about it.

The fact of the matter is we cleaned out our salary/cap space and we are apparently in good shape to start making real moves. We have a solid base of youngsters with a couple decent vets - now it's time to fill out the rest of the team. If they know what they are doing, it will happen.

Super
10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I agree with his statement. It's fully in line with the culture of winning he's been promoting. You can't say you MIGHT make the play-offs and proclaim a "culture of winning".

Also, I love the fact that Leiweke has involved himself to this degree with the club. He went overseas to talk to players. He's put TFC front and center with Leafs and Raptors, and we're hardly in their leagues when it comes to profitability. So all in all I actually like Leiweke, and I also like the fact that he's putting himself out there by saying: we're making the play-offs. This is what leaders of big clubs do. Then you fire them when they fail. Simple as that. (Although I understand MLSE is hardly going to fire Leiweke over TFC, but at least he's putting his name down on TFC).

Abou Sky
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
I must be the only person besides his Mother who likes this guy.

He is a big swinging dick texan quarterback who is gonna kick ass and take names YEEEHAW!!!

I know that is why so many hate him, but I freaking love that attitude.

Super
10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I must be the only person besides his Mother who likes this guy.

He is a big swinging dick texan quarterback who is gonna kick ass and take names YEEEHAW!!!

I know that is why so many hate him, but I freaking love that attitude.

I think people will love him if he'll be able to help fix TFC and finally get us in the play-offs. Like or not, doesn't matter. You either produce, and will be loved for it, or you fail, and will be hated for it. Personally, right now, I do like the fact that he puts himself out there and have spend a lot of time and energy on TFC. More than most thought he would. That should be worth something.

Marc"2L"
10-30-2013, 01:55 PM
But now, if we don't make the playoffs..

what?

It's just silly to make promises at this point.

Canary10
10-30-2013, 02:18 PM

what?

How about a refund on season tickets? That would make it a REAL promise.

Suds
10-30-2013, 03:08 PM
How about a refund on season tickets? That would make it a REAL promise.

This is the crux of it. It's an empty promise with no outcome. If he said, we make the playoffs or you get a refund. (not that I expect one) Or, we make the playoffs or you get to pelt me with snowballs and shag my hot sister. (I have not idea if he has a sister) Then something is really on the line. That's putting yourself out there. What TL has done is nothing more than PT Barnum promotion.

When he says, mark my words we're making the playoffs and we don't, then what? The die-hards will still renew. They'll market some new name to generate sales for another year. And as long as they hit their 14,000 to make a profit sales mark they are happy.

I'm not buying anything the guy says until I actually see some hard evidence we are improving. Until now it's been nothing but speeches.

ryan
10-30-2013, 04:46 PM
So sick of this phoney "commitment" game.

He is not effing Nostradamus.

This league is corrupt enough IMO. If TFC magically all of a sudden gets "all the calls"....well, there you have it.

ManUtd4ever
10-30-2013, 05:21 PM

what?

Seriously. Especially after what this market has already been through. He could have simply reiterated that management will exhaust all available resources to put a winning product on the pitch as soon as possible and left it at that.

Leiweke just gave himself and the organization a deadline that wasn't necessary. If TFC was to finish with a respectable record next season, demonstrate marked improvement, illustrate that the organization finally has a clear direction, and narrowly miss the playoffs, I think most supporters would be content.

Now he has given himself and the club no leeway in terms of public perception if they miss the playoffs next season.

Redcoe15
10-30-2013, 05:26 PM
And what will Leiweke do if TFC fails to make the playoffs next year? Fire himself? Eat a bowl of pigshit? Hold a draw so that one lucky SSH can kick him in his ballsack with a pair of steel toe boots?

If he's going to act used car salesman on us, then he should go all in and leave it on the table.

ryan
10-30-2013, 08:49 PM
And what will Leiweke do if TFC fails to make the playoffs next year? Fire himself? Eat a bowl of pigshit? Hold a draw so that one lucky SSH can kick him in his ballsack with a pair of steel toe boots?

If he's going to act used car salesman on us, then he should go all in and leave it on the table.

I vote for pigshit. Then we can watch the MLSE top man eat the same shit they've been feeding us.

ensco
10-30-2013, 08:53 PM
What happens if TFC doesn't make it? Leiweke will fire Nelsen of course.

If I were Nelsen I would quit today. That was a BS guarantee. TFC will not make the playoffs in 2014. There is virtually no chance.

habstfc
10-30-2013, 09:22 PM
I think defoe is a done deal but not officially saying anything quite yet.

jloome
10-30-2013, 11:16 PM

If I were Nelsen I would quit today. That was a BS guarantee. TFC will not make the playoffs in 2014. There is virtually no chance.

I wouldn't say that. I saw progress. If we sign about 20 goals more worth of production, it's possible .

ensco
10-30-2013, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't say that. I saw progress. If we sign about 20 goals more worth of production, it's possible .

I said this elsewhere - I watched the LA-Seattle game, and I don't think a single TFC player would start for either team. Not one.

Richard
10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
I said this elsewhere - I watched the LA-Seattle game, and I don't think a single TFC player would start for either team. Not one.

I think Laba could start for any team in the league, he is a class above a lot players.

ensco
10-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Laba is quality. I said that originally. He'd certainly get lots of minutes anywhere.

So that's 1 player out of 11 that's a starter for a playoff caliber team. Let's call Osorio and Caldwell MLS playoff team starters also. That's 3. Let's show some love for Kevin Payne: he did a fantastic job finding 3 quality players in 2013 (4 if you count Urruti).

I think, looking at Seattle or LA, you need 6-8 more players like that, Nelsen said as much recently.

Leiweke needs to stop talking publicly to TFC fans as though they are children, or rubes who just fell off the turnip truck. There are 19 teams competing for players, you have to consider discovery lists, salary cap issues, the high rate of washouts, and the reality that TFC is a somewhat tainted brand in the marketplace for talent.

It is not reasonable to expect that we will have 6-8 new players of the Laba/Osorio caliber next year. Let alone to "guarantee" it.

(btw Montreal does not prove you can go from nowhere to the playoffs in a year. They had the expansion draft, which they used very well, and real assets that came over from the NASL. Proabably half the roster there came from those sources.)

Oldtimer
10-31-2013, 06:48 AM
This league is corrupt enough IMO. If TFC magically all of a sudden gets "all the calls"....well, there you have it.

Would not happen that way... the refs come from the USSF and the CSA.

How it would happen is with magic allocation money. The Competition Committee can give extra allocation money for whatever secret reasons they see fit, beyond the usual allocation given to each club, plus the allocation money for missing the playoffs, being in the CCL, etc. Suddenly TFC can fit an extra $5 million player (or two) under the cap without using up a DP spot. LA has benefited from this kind of largess before.

BuSaPuNk
10-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Would not happen that way... the refs come from the USSF and the CSA.

How it would happen is with magic allocation money. The Competition Committee can give extra allocation money for whatever secret reasons they see fit, beyond the usual allocation given to each club, plus the allocation money for missing the playoffs, being in the CCL, etc. Suddenly TFC can fit an extra $5 million player (or two) under the cap without using up a DP spot. LA has benefited from this kind of largess before.

That's what I see happening but doesn't the amount of allocation also depend on your finish at the end of the last season? Plus we should already have a big bank of allocation after the Silva trade. So I wouldn't put the ton foil hats on yet.

The most I think that can happen is the leauge helping us aquire a player like they did for Seattle with Dempsey. Paying transfer fees or so on if needed and just saying it's best for the leauge to bring in x player.

Oldtimer
10-31-2013, 07:41 AM
That's what I see happening but doesn't the amount of allocation also depend on your finish at the end of the last season? Plus we should already have a big bank of allocation after the Silva trade. So I wouldn't put the ton foil hats on yet.

Here's where it comes from:

Allocation money is a resource available to clubs in addition to their respective salary budgets. A club may receive allocation money for:

failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs;
the transfer of a player to a club outside of MLS for value;
expansion status;
qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League;
trading in up to two Off-Budget roster spots;
funds from purchased third designated player roster spots.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

In the past, MLS has said that the competition committee could give additional allocation for whatever reason they saw fit. That is missing from the 2012 roster rules, but I wouldn't necessarily say it is gone.

mastermixer
10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
TL saying this reminds me of playing roulette at the Casino. When you look at the past numbers on the board and there is a string of 7 blacks, you bet on red.

Technorgasm
11-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Well I'll start off by saying this.
do NOT blame that season on the defense ok.
I don't care WHO ya play.
Weather its a high school team, a JR. College team, a College team MUCH LESS an MLS team
When you turn the ball over 50 times, with own goals, . . you 'aint gonna beat ANYBODY I just talked about.
ANYBODY, alright.
and that was a DISGRACEFUL season, in my opinion.
We threw that season, we gave it away. . by doin' that.
We GAVE'm the freakin' Season
In my opinion that SUCKED.

Whats that?. . . aahp.

Playoffs?
Your talkin' bout PLAYOFFS?!!
You kiddin me?
PLAYOFFS?

I JUST HOPE WE CAN WIN A GAME.

-Jim Mora

Petor
11-01-2013, 06:24 AM
TL saying this reminds me of playing roulette at the Casino. When you look at the past numbers on the board and there is a string of 7 blacks, you bet on red.

Ya, but then green comes up.
One of Murphy's laws I think. :shocked:

Alonso
11-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Especially not if they plan on bringing in top talent in the middle of the summer and fuck the first half of the season.

TFCAURORA
11-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Just a question.

When did TL say we had to reserve our season tickets by?
Has there been any mention as to how or when this reservation/renewal will take place?

jazzy
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Just a question.

When did TL say we had to reserve our season tickets by?
Has there been any mention as to how or when this reservation/renewal will take place?

sometime in January....at least before he announces the new TFC saviours.....

brad
11-03-2013, 03:05 PM
You going to put a money back guarantee on that Timmy? If you are so sure, what's the risk...

I stopped believing a word this organization says a good while ago. I believe what I see - no more, no less.

Marc"2L"
11-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Red 9, Danny is a talisman, no joke.

Fort York Redcoat
11-03-2013, 05:34 PM
You going to put a money back guarantee on that Timmy? If you are so sure, what's the risk...

I stopped believing a word this organization says a good while ago. I believe what I see - no more, no less.

I didn't need it. The "wait for Jan signings to renew" is crazy enough. This promise isn't aimed at me and I hope it doesn't backfire for the sake of those putting stck in it.