PDA

View Full Version : A little dose of reality

jloome
07-20-2008, 12:11 PM
A day after the deed, I think it needs to be said just to calm all the bitching and whining for a couple of minutes of reflection: We weren't that bad.

It sucked losing. It sucked mainly because we haven't won in so goddamn long; but it really felt bad because we missed a penalty, an open net and countless other goddamn chances.

But we totally dominated the game. To the poster who suggested Ricketts and Robert were sub par, please, remove your head from your spincter. They ran San Jose ragged.

Guevara carved up the middle of the defense and got no fewer than three slow-roller throughballs through, and the one by Robert to Ibrahim in which he was going shoulder to shoulder and got the free kick well outside the box was a penalty, from the point of view of the tv replay, where Ibee's shirt was being tugged once he was IN the box.

Both Guevara and Ricketts had a bad moment or two in the final third, and that cost us the goals that would normally hav emade such a dominant performance a 2-0 or 3-0 win.

And we all can look at that reality and complain about a lack of killer instinct, but I'd suggest as soon as this team gets a lead in a game again, they're gonna remember what it's like to have scoring confidence.

And, as mentioned...oh.....10,000 times, we need a fucking striker.

Anyway, all said, we have half the damn season left. DC has come from as far as fifth in the table at this stage and won the league, so let's keep our fucking heads up and voices loud, eh?

OneLoveOneEric
07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Wrong. There is no excuse for not getting a result at home against the worst team in the league. By definition, a goalless draw in this case means we were that bad. Possession means zero without goals. And the team hardly looked like they wanted to chase one. Sorry, there's no silver lining in this one.

djking2
07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
and Tuesday night we hoist our first cup

edit:

yeah well I was responding to the OP with that

jloome
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
^^ QFT man, damn fucking straight. Bring it on Mon-ray-all

koryo
07-20-2008, 12:23 PM
jloome, I appreciate you stepping back and trying to apply a rational perspective to yesterday. But you can also appreciate why many on here won't see it in quite the same way.

Let's be honest, it's not unreasonable to suggest that we should have put SJ to the sword yesterday and the fact that we didn't can only be judged as a failure.

ben_vw
07-20-2008, 12:32 PM
The match really just reiterates we need a couple of big name strikers. there was no finishing touch. we won't be a complete team until we get reinforcements up front.

that said, we clearly should have had the 3 points. but we didn't.

koryo
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
The match really just reiterates we need a couple of big name strikers. there was no finishing touch. we won't be a complete team until we get reinforcements up front.

Spot on Ben. This team would be at least two wins to the better if we had someone who could reliably finish.

ExiledRed
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
San Jose didnt just come here as the worst team in the league, they played like it too and sat back for the point.

We gave that point to them on a silver platter, and sent their goalkeeper home a hero.

Fuckin' unacceptable.

Blazer
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Spot on Ben. This team would be at least two wins to the better if we had someone who could reliably finish.

Although I’m inclined to agree, is it at all possible that we’ve psyched ourselves up into believing that these guys are better than what they truly are?! I mean, we assume that every roster move is an upgrade - naturally it should be perceived in this way because why else would you make the move but, one has to wonder if these guys are really just mediocre in talent at best?!
Have we been expecting something that is beyond their skill level? Are a couple of strikers REALLY enough to change things here?
Just curious.

GBV
07-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Wrong. There is no excuse for not getting a result at home against the worst team in the league. By definition, a goalless draw in this case means we were that bad. Possession means zero without goals. And the team hardly looked like they wanted to chase one. Sorry, there's no silver lining in this one.

agreed. 100 per.

koryo
07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Although I’m inclined to agree, is it at all possible that we’ve psyched ourselves up into believing that these guys are better than what they truly are?! I mean, we assume that every roster move is an upgrade - naturally it should be perceived in this way because why else would you make the move but, one has to wonder if these guys are really just mediocre in talent at best?!
Have we been expecting something that is beyond their skill level? Are a couple of strikers REALLY enough to change things here?
Just curious.

^^That's always possible. At the same time, I think the dip in performance is partially due to the fact that the team as a whole is frustrated at not being able to finish - and are trying to fix other aspects of their game to compensate. Throw into the mix the impact of playing 8 games this month... Someone who could have an immediate impact (like burying the first two chances he gets) would, I believe, do wonders for this team by lifting the psychological burden this team currently has: they believe they cannot score.

I don't believe that a good striker will make this team great, but it will make us competitive.

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't say we're mediocre. Defensively we are 3rd behind Chicago and New England in terms of goals against in the East. On the flip side there's only 4 other teams in the LEAGUE with less goals scored than us. As mentioned before we all know what the problem is.

koryo
07-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't say we're mediocre. Defensively we are 3rd behind Chicago and New England in terms of goals against in the East. On the flip side there's only 4 other teams in the LEAGUE with less goals scored than us. As mentioned before we all know what the problem is.

I hold to the tried and true saying: the table doesn't lie.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Fiin
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I am torn here.. but this isnt a tournament where you can play draw ball and rely on penalties or where 3 pts MIGHT sneak yah through.. its a turbulant league where you need to have teeth and drive to nail those goals for the 3 pts..

I think strikers would have helped us win a few more forsure, but its no lock either..

Side note, these friendlies mid season pushing us upto 2-3 games a week too are silly imo..

CoachGT
07-20-2008, 02:21 PM
San Jose didnt just come here as the worst team in the league, they played like it too and sat back for the point.

We gave that point to them on a silver platter, and sent their goalkeeper home a hero.

Fuckin' unacceptable.

Worst in the league, fewest goals scored. Cannon seemed to have difficulty with a few shots yesterday - don't know if it was by accident or by design, but he didn't look like a world beater.

I don't think we played that badly, but it was made to look better by who we were playing. Possession is the game we are playing, and we seem to make a lot of good, crisp passes in the backfield to change the point of attack. But we seem to have limited options for the attack.

First, Jimmy B and Robert on overlap runs, until SJ figured that out. Then, a pass back from the left flag to the oncoming mid, with an outswining cross that nobody can get to. Four times that happened, without anyone getting a head to the ball.

I had a couple of business associates from England over to see the Independiente game. They had three comments:

1) You Canadians are way too fucking polite!
2) The way they are refereeing it's like they think little kids are playing - men make contact and fall down, and that in itself is not a foull!
3) Why doesn't anybody drive and strike at the net? What's with all of the crosses from the side, when sometimes a direct approach will keep the opponent honest?

This draw, much like KC, leaves me disappointed.

Fiin
07-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Worst in the league, fewest goals scored. Cannon seemed to have difficulty with a few shots yesterday - don't know if it was by accident or by design, but he didn't look like a world beater.

I don't think we played that badly, but it was made to look better by who we were playing. Possession is the game we are playing, and we seem to make a lot of good, crisp passes in the backfield to change the point of attack. But we seem to have limited options for the attack.

First, Jimmy B and Robert on overlap runs, until SJ figured that out. Then, a pass back from the left flag to the oncoming mid, with an outswining cross that nobody can get to. Four times that happened, without anyone getting a head to the ball.

I had a couple of business associates from England over to see the Independiente game. They had three comments:

1) You Canadians are way too fucking polite!
2) The way they are refereeing it's like they think little kids are playing - men make contact and fall down, and that in itself is not a foull!
3) Why doesn't anybody drive and strike at the net? What's with all of the crosses from the side, when sometimes a direct approach will keep the opponent honest?

This draw, much like KC, leaves me disappointed.

I have been wondering this for the last month... when we do do it we usually get 3 pts... good observations by them.

iansmcl
07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
^^^ That's something I've been wondering about a lot as well. A lot has been made on this board (and elsewhere, I'm sure) about how Cunningham is not a threat in the air, yet we still see ten crosses a game where he's meant to head the ball into the net? Does that make sense?

Obviously the man still has problems scoring (or even getting on the end of the pass) when he's the target of a ball on the ground but why would we keep trying someone that has not worked at all?

giambac
07-20-2008, 02:39 PM
A day after the deed, I think it needs to be said just to calm all the bitching and whining for a couple of minutes of reflection: We weren't that bad.

It sucked losing. It sucked mainly because we haven't won in so goddamn long; but it really felt bad because we missed a penalty, an open net and countless other goddamn chances.

But we totally dominated the game. To the poster who suggested Ricketts and Robert were sub par, please, remove your head from your spincter. They ran San Jose ragged.

Guevara carved up the middle of the defense and got no fewer than three slow-roller throughballs through, and the one by Robert to Ibrahim in which he was going shoulder to shoulder and got the free kick well outside the box was a penalty, from the point of view of the tv replay, where Ibee's shirt was being tugged once he was IN the box.

Both Guevara and Ricketts had a bad moment or two in the final third, and that cost us the goals that would normally hav emade such a dominant performance a 2-0 or 3-0 win.

And we all can look at that reality and complain about a lack of killer instinct, but I'd suggest as soon as this team gets a lead in a game again, they're gonna remember what it's like to have scoring confidence.

Anyway, all said, we have half the damn season left. DC has come from as far as fifth in the table at this stage and won the league, so let's keep our fucking heads up and voices loud, eh?

wake up and smell the coffee.
There was nothing bright about yesterday's game
we haven't won in 8 games
we can't beat or score against an expansion team even if the ref gives us a unjustified pk
we can't beat vancouver in 2 games etc etc etc. How many more excuses do they need? When are they going to turn the corner. everyone was saying it was this game. Now when is it, the next game or the hame thereafter?????

and you want to talk that we aren't as bad as it looks

Carver guaranteed 3 points yesterday and said he wouyld share 1 or 2 pints with Huckerby after TFC took 3 points from SJ.
The road only gets tougher from here on in.

And no Robert didn't look good yesterday. He was trying to do to much with the ball, often trying to take on 2-3 players at a time.

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

:D Fair play. I really think we're not playing too bad, we just need to score. Apart from one blowout (DC) we've been very close to getting points out of our pevious matches.

0-0
1-2
1-2
0-0.

We dont look too bad to me if you look at those results. So I guess I am saying the results don't lie either. I am trying to find good out our current "situation" that's all.

Blazer
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

Statistics are deceitful. End of the day the table is the truth you’re right.

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 02:47 PM
We're 6 points out of second place...we're not that out of it. Every team has had a rough patch this season. Remember DC's slow start?

Blazer
07-20-2008, 02:48 PM
And the excuse that it's a busy month with so many games is a copout. It only works if the guys look/ play tired. Fatigue hasn’t been our problem - it’s been morale and overall cohesion.

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 02:49 PM
And the excuse that it's a busy month with so many games is a copout. It only works if the guys look/ play tired. Fatigue hasn’t been our problem - it’s been morale and overall cohesion.

I agree with you 100% on that.

Blazer
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
We are a lot closer to battling for the last playoff spot then we are second place. There are only so many misleading positive spins you can weave together before it just becomes exhausting.

Blazer
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
The only positive I hang my hat on is that they pulled this same shit last year with their mid-season funk and followed up with a strong finish. Here’s to hoping for a repeat of that action?!

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I didn't even consider us being a playoff contender at the beginning of this season. Atleast we're getting the draws which would've been losses last season. We have hit the mid season woes like last year. I am agreeing with what you're saying, but we still have chance to turn this sinking ship around. I really do think we are one player away from being contender.

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 02:59 PM
... I just like to remain positive and keep faith in my team, even when things look pear shaped.

Blazer
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
With the way the playoff structure works in MLS, I was confident in the quick start that we'd not just be competing for a spot but could probably comfortably slide on in well before the season was over. Confidence is essential but I'm not going to pretend that this team is more than it is right now. I don't think anyone of those guys feels as though they are performing well at this point. I was very disappointed and disheartened with that showing yesterday and questioned this team’s overall calibre.

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
You weren't the only one disheartened :D We'll just have to see what happens.

boban
07-20-2008, 03:25 PM

You want a dose of reality? Get off the koolaid.
I have to agree with OneLoveOneEric on this one.
There is no silver lining in this game. A penalty shot and an open net
against the last place team at home and we don't score and how somehow
there is something positive to take from this? Damn that was one frustrating game to watch. I was even begging the ref to call it as I couldn't stomach anymore.
And your notion that a striker would pretty much cure what ills this team is more wishful thinking than reality. Croatia lost its true striker for the Euros. But they still managed to score goals in each and every game they played.
People have to rise up on this team and not fall asleep.

Fiin
07-20-2008, 05:14 PM
:D Fair play. I really think we're not playing too bad, we just need to score. Apart from one blowout (DC) we've been very close to getting points out of our pevious matches.

0-0
1-2
1-2
0-0.

We dont look too bad to me if you look at those results. So I guess I am saying the results don't lie either. I am trying to find good out our current "situation" that's all.

Hey bro.. I think you meant blowout in Houston.. we lost 3-2 in DC in the single worst officiated game I have ever personally witnessed.

colman1860
07-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I have been wondering this for the last month... when we do do it we usually get 3 pts... good observations by them.

Ill add to that. While I fucking love Marvell Wynne more than anybody else on this team, he is a good fullback only defensively. The man can cross no better than Adam Braz. With his speed, I would love to see him run at defenders a little more (remember Dichios goal vs Colorado at BMO last year?).

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey bro.. I think you meant blowout in Houston.. we lost 3-2 in DC in the single worst officiated game I have ever personally witnessed.

Uhh nope part one DC 4-1, we were closer on the second trip down. Houston 3-1... yeah we were shit there too.....

colman1860
07-20-2008, 05:29 PM

First DC game. 4-1. But remember, we didnt have most of our team yet (first game for robert, no ricketts, no guevara. velez still useless, etc.)

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Ill add to that. While I fucking love Marvell Wynne more than anybody else on this team, he is a good fullback only defensively. The man can cross no better than Adam Braz. With his speed, I would love to see him run at defenders a little more (remember Dichios goal vs Colorado at BMO last year?).

Marvell needs help on postioning.. but that's another thread :D

colman1860
07-20-2008, 05:31 PM
He does need help on positioning, but youve got to give it to him - he makes up for it with his speed pretty much every time. I know thats not on in Europe, but it will do here.

Fiin
07-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh shite I forgot about that beating lol. Yah, screw them tho, we didnt have our team, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

colman1860
07-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh shite I forgot about that beating lol. Yah, screw them tho, we didnt have our team, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

exactly. while we havent gotten the results on the road, i cannot think of any road game where we could have reasonably expected to get a result with the roster we had available and the team we were facing and did not. the only game up for discussion is chicago, and the ref stole that one from us. to quote myself from another thread:

Columbus: we did not have our full team yet (no guevara, ricketts, robert). also our new players were still finding each other (these were the days when velez was still crap)

DC: See Columbus

LA: We won

DC: Sutton coughed up an easy shot, and we lost a close game 3:2. Also note that DC is one of the best teams in the league.

Houston: 3-1 loss. MLS champs.

New England: 2-1 loss, easily could have been a tie (Jarrod Smith missed a tap-in in the dying minutes). Also note that NE are currently the best team in MLS.

Chicago: We wuz robbed. If the ref doesnt fuck up the call on edu, busch is gone (last man - red card), were tied 1-1, and chicago is down a player. Add in Ibrahims goal. Chicago would no longer have the strength to come back in the 92nd.

Fiin
07-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Yah, tho we have looked bad at times on the road, it is still the rd..

Dont matter... turn around on Tuesday :D

To quote the great Iron Shiek:

We will make them humble!

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 05:38 PM
exactly. while we havent gotten the results on the road, i cannot think of any road game where we could have reasonably expected to get a result with the roster we had available and the team we were facing and did not. the only game up for discussion is chicago, and the ref stole that one from us. to quote myself from another thread:

Columbus: we did not have our full team yet (no guevara, ricketts, robert). also our new players were still finding each other (these were the days when velez was still crap)

DC: Sutton coughed up an easy shot, and we lost a close game 3:2. Also note that DC is one of the best teams in the league.

New England: 2-1 loss, easily could have been a tie (Jarrod Smith missed a tap-in in the dying minutes). Also note that NE are currently the best team in MLS.

Chicago: We wuz robbed. If the ref doesnt fuck up the call on edu, busch is gone (last man - red card), were tied 1-1, and chicago is down a player. Add in Ibrahims goal. Chicago would no longer have the strength to come back in the 92nd.

NICE! optimism welcome to my world :) I agree also Marvell has great speed, but it can be exposed on the big pitches like DC where he was caught with his pants down. Don't get me wrong though he's easily our biggest talent in terms of defenders. (JimmyB is a midfielder imo).

Cambridge_Red
07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Yah, tho we have looked bad at times on the road, it is still the rd..

Dont matter... turn around on Tuesday :D

To quote the great Iron Shiek:

We will make them humble!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHF154_8x10-No350~Iron-Sheik-Posters.jpg

TFC WILL MAKE YOU HUMBLE!!!

ben_vw
07-20-2008, 05:43 PM

I have to say I agree. Very optimistic, yes, but the truth. Our second trip to DC, and Chicago and New England could all have been at least draws for us. That said, we really need to grind out a couple of road results in the next few weeks.

rocker
07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
i have to agree with jloome on this one.

I saw somebody on another board say this was the worst game they've ever played, which is a totally wrong comment. I guess if you're a newcomer, you haven't see the games in Houston, or the game against NYRB at Giants stadium, or maybe the 3-0 loss to Chicago at home last year.. I could go on.

so to say "we can't score worth a shit" is right. But don't ignore the massive number of good chances and the complete domination of possession. Guevara over the post in the first half... penalty kick... the bad call on the offside that would have had an open net for Ricketts... I could go on.

MLS is a strange beast of parity and if you guys think any team is gonna go around dominating like Man U, then you're gonna be consistently disappointed. even the first place Revs are not exactly blowing people away. most of their wins are by a single goal....... games turn on a dime.

FCBarcelona
07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I too luv Marvel , speed to burn i thought he should have taken the spot kic yesterday.:)

:noidea:

colman1860
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I too luv Marvel , speed to burn i thought he should have taken the spot kic yesterday.:)

:noidea:

I would have liked Ricketts to take it - his was the only sure thing against Pachuca (Keeper got a hand on Robert's, Smith wasnt on the field yesterday so he wasnt an option). The others were missed.

REDPATCHGRL74
07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Just curious.

I totally agree. This is what I posted earlier, and someone said I had my head in my ass. Robert and Ricketts were upgrades, but look who we had last season. They have shown flashes of what we expected, but that's about it. Someone said they carved up the SJ defense, I would hope so. But to be honest I didn't see that. I saw a bad team on the road, play a game that we have never done on the road. They sat back and got a result. Robert, Ricketts and company couldn't break them down. Besides the penalty and the sitter that Guevara missed in the first half what did we create. Nothing. I love TFC, but some people really have to get their heads out of their ass.

REDPATCHGRL74
07-20-2008, 06:03 PM

I wasn't speaking specifically about yesterday, but the seson in general. They have not been what I expected. As far as them carving up the Earthquakes, I really didn't see that either. We couldn't break them down, and those 2 players should be able to create more than they do. But like I said earlier, they are not as good as advertised. If they were they wouldn't be here. Getting a striker isn't going to be the saviour, we have more problems than that. It's just the obvious one.

Oldtimer
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
An early goal would be the key to winning. If TFC can get ahead in the first 30 minutes, they will probably win this one.

jloome
07-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I wasn't speaking specifically about yesterday, but the seson in general. They have not been what I expected. As far as them carving up the Earthquakes, I really didn't see that either. We couldn't break them down, and those 2 players should be able to create more than they do. But like I said earlier, they are not as good as advertised. If they were they wouldn't be here. Getting a striker isn't going to be the saviour, we have more problems than that. It's just the obvious one.

For cripes sake, we outshot them 12-3. How much more carved up do you want?

The problem here is obvious: scoring. ANd my original point hangs on two important facts: one, an open net, the other a penalty. Guevara is a great player, no doubt (maybe our best), but he choked yesterday. That was a 2-0 win that a single player blew, when it comes down to it. He missed a sitter into an open net and he shot the penalty waist height and too close to Cannon.

End of story, at least on yesterday's game.

But you're right. There are other issues (not even getting into the idiotic statement here earlier than Marvell Wynne is a great defender; he's a great track star right now, and a pretty bloody average defender) that I didn't bring up in starting this thread; I was feeling optimistic. Having said that:

* Our team cohesion is still sorely lacking; I put much of this down to lack of time practising together since the first month of the season, due to the shittily crowed schedule. But obviously that's not enough of an excuse for the lack of aggressive runs into the box and into dangerous lanes towards goal; right now, we move well into open space to maintain control, but that's about it. (And having said that, it's obvious from the Guevara/Rosenlund through ball attempts that Carver is pushing this issue."

* Tactically, we've never performed with offensive aggression while in the 4-5-1. Although it can be useful in that regard when the wingers pinch in,it's obvious this team is too stocked with guys who've only ever used a 4-5-1 defensively (which was the norm for years).

The wingers tend to only move into offesnive space once the ball is already in the defensive zone, which makes it easier for the defense to shift around in their zone and cover people (instead of the wingers coming in earlier and drawing defenders away from the strikers or the ball away from the defenders). We should switch to a proper 442, with two strikers.

I know this is effectively waht they play, with Guevara withdrawn, but guevara is too withdrawn, all match long -- he's never harassing the backline consistently before the ball even gets there with his movement, so they're rarely pulled out of position.

* There's not enough passion during the early stages. We play clinically, which is not only predictable and easy to defend, it also sucks the energy out of our side. I mentioned in a different thread how 3/4 of our players tend to walk when they're off the ball, instead of jogging. They seem deflated unless they're on the ball and don't realize intensity and heart will beat you 9 times out of 10.

* There are times when they seem so intent on team control that they're simply not pushing the play, just shifting it around; about the only time we're direct is from the backline, which is next to useless. As great as Robert was yesterday, for example, I would love on a couple of those neat runs to have seen him simply charge the box and let fly. Guy can hit the thing at over 80 mph, for fuck sake. That's generally true, as evidenced by the fact that 16=year=old ibee is the only striker we have who consistently challenges the defence and puts them on their backfoot. Shit, USL career notwithstanding, Eddie Sebrango would be a step up from the way our strikers have attacked the box.

But again, I'm optimistic despite all that. Why? One, I'm a lifer; this is the second season. It's kind of like having a kid and then being pissed off when it hasn't learned to walk by 9 months; realism suggests patience is required.

Why were you more optimistic? We have no widespread scouting system yet, no production and promotion from our youth academy next, almost no significant talent base to draw from, handicaps in the form of the turf and the (perceived) weather in terms of attracting players, .

Shit, we shouldn't even be having the audacity to think about winning anything outside of the NCC until year five.

I think part of the reason we're all chomping at the bit isn't because we suck so bad; it's because we know with the players we already have, we shouldn't suck at all. And yes, I think a striker knocking a few in consistently would go a long way right now, if not for the inidividual contributions he would bring, then at least for the boost in team morale, which must just be the shits right now.

BigD
07-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I tought the team played well yesterday, except for the ability to finish. Some of my observations:

1) Robert was awsome and made some sweet passes/crosses that no one could convert.
2) We have no one who can make a one touch play
3) Ricketts seems to be incapable of beating anyone one on one ... he got nothing

If we could get a good one touch striker ... and get Dichio's head back for crosses ... things would be much better

giambac
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
For cripes sake, we outshot them 12-3. How much more carved up do you want?

The problem here is obvious: scoring. ANd my original point hangs on two important facts: one, an open net, the other a penalty. Guevara is a great player, no doubt (maybe our best), but he choked yesterday. That was a 2-0 win that a single player blew, when it comes down to it. He missed a sitter into an open net and he shot the penalty waist height and too close to Cannon.

End of story, at least on yesterday's game.

But you're right. There are other issues (not even getting into the idiotic statement here earlier than Marvell Wynne is a great defender; he's a great track star right now, and a pretty bloody average defender) that I didn't bring up in starting this thread; I was feeling optimistic. Having said that:

* Our team cohesion is still sorely lacking; I put much of this down to lack of time practising together since the first month of the season, due to the shittily crowed schedule. But obviously that's not enough of an excuse for the lack of aggressive runs into the box and into dangerous lanes towards goal; right now, we move well into open space to maintain control, but that's about it. (And having said that, it's obvious from the Guevara/Rosenlund through ball attempts that Carver is pushing this issue."

* Tactically, we've never performed with offensive aggression while in the 4-5-1. Although it can be useful in that regard when the wingers pinch in,it's obvious this team is too stocked with guys who've only ever used a 4-5-1 defensively (which was the norm for years).

The wingers tend to only move into offesnive space once the ball is already in the defensive zone, which makes it easier for the defense to shift around in their zone and cover people (instead of the wingers coming in earlier and drawing defenders away from the strikers or the ball away from the defenders). We should switch to a proper 442, with two strikers.

I know this is effectively waht they play, with Guevara withdrawn, but guevara is too withdrawn, all match long -- he's never harassing the backline consistently before the ball even gets there with his movement, so they're rarely pulled out of position.

* There's not enough passion during the early stages. We play clinically, which is not only predictable and easy to defend, it also sucks the energy out of our side. I mentioned in a different thread how 3/4 of our players tend to walk when they're off the ball, instead of jogging. They seem deflated unless they're on the ball and don't realize intensity and heart will beat you 9 times out of 10.

* There are times when they seem so intent on team control that they're simply not pushing the play, just shifting it around; about the only time we're direct is from the backline, which is next to useless. As great as Robert was yesterday, for example, I would love on a couple of those neat runs to have seen him simply charge the box and let fly. Guy can hit the thing at over 80 mph, for fuck sake. That's generally true, as evidenced by the fact that 16=year=old ibee is the only striker we have who consistently challenges the defence and puts them on their backfoot. Shit, USL career notwithstanding, Eddie Sebrango would be a step up from the way our strikers have attacked the box.

But again, I'm optimistic despite all that. Why? One, I'm a lifer; this is the second season. It's kind of like having a kid and then being pissed off when it hasn't learned to walk by 9 months; realism suggests patience is required.

Why were you more optimistic? We have no widespread scouting system yet, no production and promotion from our youth academy next, almost no significant talent base to draw from, handicaps in the form of the turf and the (perceived) weather in terms of attracting players, .

Shit, we shouldn't even be having the audacity to think about winning anything outside of the NCC until year five.

I think part of the reason we're all chomping at the bit isn't because we suck so bad; it's because we know with the players we already have, we shouldn't suck at all. And yes, I think a striker knocking a few in consistently would go a long way right now, if not for the inidividual contributions he would bring, then at least for the boost in team morale, which must just be the shits right now.

Blame the coach. You say the palyers aren't motivated, hav eno passion fuck they are professioanls.

It is the coaches job to hav ethem ready for each game.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHF154_8x10-No350~Iron-Sheik-Posters.jpg

TFC WILL MAKE YOU HUMBLE!!!

"Gene Mean, all of da middle easta people are going to be very pride of da Iron Shiek anda Nikolai Volkoff. Cameraman zoomit, ala achbar, look at dat body..."

twistedchinaman
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM

And we had a golden opportunity to get it -- I still personally think Abby Ibby or Robert should've taken that penalty.

Pachuco
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
we can't beat or score against an expansion team even if the ref gives us a unjustified pk
we can't beat vancouver in 2 games etc etc etc. How many more excuses do they need? When are they going to turn the corner. everyone was saying it was this game. Now when is it, the next game or the hame thereafter?????

Carver guaranteed 3 points yesterday and said he wouyld share 1 or 2 pints with Huckerby after TFC took 3 points from SJ.

And no Robert didn't look good yesterday. He was trying to do to much with the ball, often trying to take on 2-3 players at a time.

YOU KNOW WHAT? I've had just about enough of your lies and exagerations. DO ME A FAVOR. Find me the situations in the game where Robert tried to do to much of the ball? watch the damn game back if you're a real supporter and write down the time on the clock where he tries to take on too many players and loses the ball????

You are full of crap. I've watched the game twice now on replay and there are two times Robert loses the ball. Both times he's given the ball when two guys are right on him, he has no choice but to try and kick it off the players or get it back to the defender. That's what you call Robert trying to OFTEN to take on too many players?

Now would you like me to count the number of times he put in great balls? Breakaway to Ricketts, Breakaway to Ibbey where he gets hauled down, also beats two players on the left wing and put a cross in that goes out for a corner. Trust me that's one tiny bit of what he did, that's just off the top of my head. HE SHOULD TAKE ON PLAYERS MORE OFTEN BECAUSE HE SEEMS TO BEAT THEM WHEN HE DOES!!!

Stop being a damn cancer on this board and start doing something productive with your life, the first step to that would be leaving this board and posting on a Leaf's board!

noochie
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I miss Collin Samuel.

iansmcl
07-21-2008, 12:29 AM
At least he shot the damned ball.

jloome
07-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Samuel's quality of play was a disgrace to football.

Cashcleaner
07-21-2008, 03:21 AM

Couldn't agree more. I'll gladly take a draw from a hard-fought match with an opponent close to our level of quality. When its San-fuckin'-Jose with a 3-9-4 record and we can't find the back of the net at least once, you know something is definitely wrong.

ExiledRed
07-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Samuel's quality of play was a disgrace to football.

Samuel wasn't fit. He should never have played in the state he was in, and I used to hate watching him.

That is until we beat New York 2-1 and he became a good player with a beast of a shot.

We could use some of that strength up front and those high power low drives from outside the box these days.

just sayin'

nimamalek
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM

OMG standard over reaction we get from you every week, only person that needs to wake up is you.
1. We completely dominated the game, same as the Columbus and KC games and the second White Caps game
2. Robert played GREAT! first half put in a lot of early crosses, realized that Ibe was completely alone in the box with 5 defenders so he changed his game around and started taking on defenders in order to give others time to get into the box in the second half
3. Carver has a 16 year old kid and Cunningham as choices up front and every game in the last 8 our finishing has been the key issue
4. Mo has put offers in to 5-6 quality scorers (as far as MLS quality goes) and he's been rejected, not much more he can do, except put in more offers
5. we're still only 3 points off 3rd place in the conference

i think everyone has forgotten that we're a second year team and that we're still missing a major piece of the puzzle. If we had a quality striker those nil-nil draws would have been perfect 1-0 wins

jloome
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Samuel wasn't fit. He should never have played in the state he was in, and I used to hate watching him.

That is until we beat New York 2-1 and he became a good player with a beast of a shot.

We could use some of that strength up front and those high power low drives from outside the box these days.

just sayin'

Samuel has never been fit, has never succeeded at any level. his best season in Scottish football -- which despite groaning from Celts and Scots on this board is not, aside from the old firms, at the same level as MLS -- he scored five goals. He had no first touch, and his 'cannon' rarely ended up anywhere near the fucking net.

Dude, I respect your opinion on most things, but Samuel wasn't an upgrade on really anything, and even Cunny scored more goals for this team last yhear than he did.

jloome
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
OMG standard over reaction we get from you every week, only person that needs to wake up is you.
1. We completely dominated the game, same as the Columbus and KC games and the second White Caps game
2. Robert played GREAT! first half put in a lot of early crosses, realized that Ibe was completely alone in the box with 5 defenders so he changed his game around and started taking on defenders in order to give others time to get into the box in the second half
3. Carver has a 16 year old kid and Cunningham as choices up front and every game in the last 8 our finishing has been the key issue
4. Mo has put offers in to 5-6 quality scorers (as far as MLS quality goes) and he's been rejected, not much more he can do, except put in more offers

i think everyone has forgotten that we're a second year team and that we're still missing a major piece of the puzzle. If we had a quality striker those nil-nil draws would have been perfect 1-0 wins

Pretty much all true, despite the incessant whining and bitching here.

The last part might be a bit optimistic; for example, as noted, Guevara basically blew that last game for us, not the upfront service. We put the ball into dangerous positions all day, and San Jose basically sat back and mopped up the pressure. We should've won 2-0, or at least 1-0 on the penalty. He choked. He won't usually. End of story.

jrober38
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM

I think its clear that the biggest problem with TFC is their lack of talent up front. Every point made here can be attributed to TFC's lack of a quality striker.

1. We seem to dominate in the midfield but our possession amounts to nothing because there is no one to consistently score the ball. Possession doesn't mean anything unless you do something with it.
2. Our wingers have played well all season but when they swing the ball into the box from wide positions, there is no one on our team who can convert their crosses into goals.
3. The fact that we have to play a 16 year old who's supposed to be developing on the youth team as our first choice striker is a clear as it gets that we need massive help up front.
4. We might be putting offers out to these players, but for some reason they arn't being accepted. Some people speculate that its because they don't want to play on turf. I agree with that, but I also think its because MLSE isn't giving Carver enough cash to get a deal done. If these guys don't want to play on turf, GIVE THEM MORE MONEY! Considering that the team's biggest flaw is its inability to score, over paying for a quality forward is something I can handle.
5. We might still be in contention, but we're falling very fast in the standings.

We need a stiker now!

giambac
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT? I've had just about enough of your lies and exagerations. DO ME A FAVOR. Find me the situations in the game where Robert tried to do to much of the ball? watch the damn game back if you're a real supporter and write down the time on the clock where he tries to take on too many players and loses the ball????

You are full of crap. I've watched the game twice now on replay and there are two times Robert loses the ball. Both times he's given the ball when two guys are right on him, he has no choice but to try and kick it off the players or get it back to the defender. That's what you call Robert trying to OFTEN to take on too many players?

Now would you like me to count the number of times he put in great balls? Breakaway to Ricketts, Breakaway to Ibbey where he gets hauled down, also beats two players on the left wing and put a cross in that goes out for a corner. Trust me that's one tiny bit of what he did, that's just off the top of my head. HE SHOULD TAKE ON PLAYERS MORE OFTEN BECAUSE HE SEEMS TO BEAT THEM WHEN HE DOES!!!

Stop being a damn cancer on this board and start doing something productive with your life, the first step to that would be leaving this board and posting on a Leaf's board!

How come you didn't comment on Carvers guarantee that we would come away with 3 points??????

You just walk aawy from his comment.....

giambac
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM

0-0 draw at home vs an expansion team.

Nothing else to say.

Forget about all the excuses or looking at things from the bright side.

A tie is like a loss against an expansion team at home.

Sorry I have to call it like it is.

Derko
07-21-2008, 01:17 PM
0-0 against an established opponent would have been a good result, defensively I thought we played well, Ibby is a good player, but was being mauled all afternoon, not quite strong enough yet, Yes Guevara should have buried the penalty, but didn't.
I was dissapointed with not winning but did not give up a goal or lose 3 points.
Striker,Striker,Striker!!

Oldtimer
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
It's clear that Mo is looking for more upfront service, but I'm afraid that the plastic pitch is what is standing in the way.