PDA

View Full Version : Laurent Robert Shows Finally Shows What He's Got

TFC OZZ
07-20-2008, 10:35 AM
All I have to say after watching yesterday's game is, LAURENT ROBERT. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else give credit where it's definatly due. That was the first time that I feel I truly saw him play with passion, because he and Ronnie O'Brien were CONSTANTLY at eachother's throats. What a game he had, he ran his ass over the field, and gave excellent ball distribution. Easily my man of the match, I'm just disappointed he didn't shoot while the ball was in play as opposed to only on a set-piece.

He and Ronnie O'Brien were constantly yelling at eachother, grabbing, pushing, fowling and pinching eachother when the ref wasn't looking. I think the fact that Robert finally had someone "question" his ability on the field got him going. I've never seen him run that fast, and I gotta say, I sure liked it. Let's hope we see more of that.

RealG-TFC
07-20-2008, 10:36 AM
At the begining he was playing like shit. Couldn't get past defenders, but then he sstepped his game up. It's too bad about the free-kick, but I agree that he played well.

kdzb
07-20-2008, 10:48 AM
We need a LEADER in this team and I hope it will be him who puts the sens of urgency and competition on the player's head.
To be a leader you have to lead by example, like Gerrard in Liverpool and Giggs in Man United. You have to give 110% hard work when you are in the pitch the other lazy asses will follow when they see that.
I liked the hard work of Robert as well and he gave 2 clean passes to Jimmy that resulted on nice crosses. too bad nobody was in the other side to convert :(

Kevvv
07-20-2008, 10:52 AM
At the begining he was playing like shit. Couldn't get past defenders, but then he sstepped his game up. It's too bad about the free-kick, but I agree that he played well.

He had a great second half. I thought he was looking frustrated in the first half, but he had a great showing overall. Should have let him take the penalty to (20/20 hindsight).

Bobo
07-20-2008, 10:59 AM
We need a LEADER in this team and I hope it will be him who puts the sens of urgency and competition on the player's head.
To be a leader you have to lead by example, like Gerrard in Liverpool and Giggs in Man United. You have to give 110% hard work when you are in the pitch the other lazy asses will follow when they see that.
I liked the hard work of Robert as well and he gave 2 clean passes to Jimmy that resulted on nice crosses. too bad nobody was in the other side to convert :(

Might be wise not to hold your breath. The closest thing he'll do to leading is complain and bitch at the players but I wouldn't be looking for inspirational speeches from the guy.

rocker
07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
they didn't really involve Robert in the first half. It was mostly Wynne/Ricketts going down the side. Then in the second half they involved him more (and he moved to the other side for a little bit at one point). But even in the second half, he was always so open and only later in the half did people find him. He was right in front of me second half and all the fans were yelling at the TFC players to pass to him.

jloome
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Might be wise not to hold your breath. The closest thing he'll do to leading is complain and bitch at the players but I wouldn't be looking for inspirational speeches from the guy.

He's right, unfortunately. Robert is one of my favourite players and has been since Newcastle but the same passion he puts into wanting to win (more he hates to lose) gives him a hell of a temper. I wouldn't be surprised, if the streak continues, if he blows a gasket at the other players.

The problem at this point is that I'm not sure either Carver or the players recognize the problem; they don't notice their own lack of intensity, especially when they're controlling a game through sheer technical superiority and no heart -- that's what yesterday felt like. It felt like most of them were being...proficient. No killer instinct.

I was harsh giving GUevara a 4 yesterday, should've been a 5. He cost us the game by choking twice, but at least he had some fire, as did Robbo and Ibrahim (although that might just be skill; never seen a kid so chool headed). Ricketts always plays with intensity, but again sometimes too much.

But Rosenlund, Wynne, Velez, Marshall, Jimmy and Cunny all bit big donkey chunks.

Flipityflu
07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Robert has run hot and cold since he got here. You can also see the fustration on his face at times, especially earlier on, when he relaized that we don't have anbody who makes good runs into the box. Robert needs that.

ben_vw
07-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Agreeing with Flipity, in some instances he seems rather invisible however when he is on his game and involved in the match he does more than make up for it. I always liked him when he was playing in England and I really like him for us. He brings that extra bit of class we have lacked for a long time. Once we get that big name striker we will be appreciating Robert's service A LOT more.

Flipityflu
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
not only the service, but the space that gets opened up. Have you noticed that Robert doesn't get much chance to shoot? the midfield is being closed down because we don't have those runs being made. Ibee has helped, but we need a veteran up front with him.

bhoybobby
07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
All I have to say after watching yesterday's game is, LAURENT ROBERT. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else give credit where it's definatly due. That was the first time that I feel I truly saw him play with passion, because he and Ronnie O'Brien were CONSTANTLY at eachother's throats. What a game he had, he ran his ass over the field, and gave excellent ball distribution. Easily my man of the match, I'm just disappointed he didn't shoot while the ball was in play as opposed to only on a set-piece.

He and Ronnie O'Brien were constantly yelling at eachother, grabbing, pushing, fowling and pinching eachother when the ref wasn't looking. I think the fact that Robert finally had someone "question" his ability on the field got him going. I've never seen him run that fast, and I gotta say, I sure liked it. Let's hope we see more of that.

You're dreaming here, he's a lazy bastard who's trading on past glories, walks around the fucking pitch doing 4 5ths of fuck all. He's a luxury we can't afford. GHTF

TFC_Junky
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
You're dreaming here, he's a lazy bastard who's trading on past glories, walks around the fucking pitch doing 4 5ths of fuck all. He's a luxury we can't afford. GHTF

I agree, he looked aweful. he was a walking pylon and didn't do anything. Maybe he should have taken that pk in hindsight, as Guevara missed 5 chances.

Smenge
07-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Robert's distribution is better than any other TFC player, and it will become more apparent when the team gets a striker who can actually score. The negative comments I read here are absurd, but that is the internet, anybody, even a fool, can take a shot.

bhoybobby
07-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Robert's distribution is better than any other TFC player, and it will become more apparent when the team gets a striker who can actually score. The negative comments I read here are absurd, but that is the internet, anybody, even a fool, can take a shot.

A blind fool with one eye can see this tit is going thru the motions, zero, absolute zero work ethic, he could've been booked for his petulant dive. An embarrassing disgrace, I know he has the skill, he just looks like he could care less, disinterested overpaid, underproducing ponce,

Heathen
07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
You're both right, he has excellent skill and distribution but he's also a lazy bugger. Question is does the former outweigh the latter, sometimes it has this season sometimes it hasn't

giambac
07-20-2008, 06:57 PM
He's right, unfortunately. Robert is one of my favourite players and has been since Newcastle but the same passion he puts into wanting to win (more he hates to lose) gives him a hell of a temper. I wouldn't be surprised, if the streak continues, if he blows a gasket at the other players.

The problem at this point is that I'm not sure either Carver or the players recognize the problem; they don't notice their own lack of intensity, especially when they're controlling a game through sheer technical superiority and no heart -- that's what yesterday felt like. It felt like most of them were being...proficient. No killer instinct.

I was harsh giving GUevara a 4 yesterday, should've been a 5. He cost us the game by choking twice, but at least he had some fire, as did Robbo and Ibrahim (although that might just be skill; never seen a kid so chool headed). Ricketts always plays with intensity, but again sometimes too much.

But Rosenlund, Wynne, Velez, Marshall, Jimmy and Cunny all bit big donkey chunks.

robert sucks and he had a terible game yesterday. I don't know what game or what player you wee watching but Robert is a major disaapointment.

On several occasions he tried taking on 2-3 players at a time rather than passing the ball. The end result was the at he would lose control of the ball.

His free kicks and corners were also poor.

Most of all he wasn't running for the ball if it wasn't a few feet in front of him. he has to be the laziest player i've seen. The only reason he is here is becasue of his connections with Carver.

carver is fucking the team with his coaching and player selection. Send both of them packing back home.

TFC OZZ
07-20-2008, 07:09 PM
robert sucks and he had a terible game yesterday. I don't know what game or what player you wee watching but Robert is a major disaapointment.

On several occasions he tried taking on 2-3 players at a time rather than passing the ball. The end result was the at he would lose control of the ball.

Most of all he wasn't running for the ball if it wasn't a few feet in front of him. he has to be the laziest player i've seen. The only reason he is here is becasue of his connections with Carver.

carver is fucking the team with his coaching and player selection. Send both of them packing back home.

I respectfully read what you wrote until I read the bolded statement. Then I realized that I think you need to shut the fuck up.

As for those of you who thought he had a poor game, I disagree with you; although I agree that in PREVIOUS games he has showed a huge lack of "effort" on defense at times, yesterday he definatly showed a huge improvement in terms of his hussle on and off the ball. From where I sat, he was the only player in the second half who I, and the people around me had confidence in when he got the ball.

I also agree that some of his corners were poorer than usual, and he did lose the ball on the counter-attack (so did Ricketts and Guevera) and his free kick was off-target, but those are forgivable errors and I saw many other errors from the rest of our team. The fact of the matter is that overall, yesterday he had a great performance, and finally showed emotion and hussle. Like many of you have mentioned in this thread and in others, Robert's full potential on this team will be recognized when we get a star striker.

Jimmy The Saint
07-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I respectfully read what you wrote until I read the bolded statement. Then I realized that I think you need to shut the fuck up.

Lots of people seem to have giamboc blocked - he never seems to have anything nice to say. Especially hates Carver.

Jimmy The Saint
07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Robert played a great 2nd half - I'm dissapointed that he didn't take the Penalty, 'cuz he would've buried it.

Pachuco
07-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Why the fuck do you keep posting here? nobody here gives 2 shits about anything you say. Robert was the best player on the pitch yesterday and your stupid opinion won't change that

bhoybobby
07-21-2008, 12:29 AM
You're both right, he has excellent skill and distribution but he's also a lazy bugger. Question is does the former outweigh the latter, sometimes it has this season sometimes it hasn't

Which is one of the big reasons we're where we are, jettison him

iansmcl
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM

Who would you have started?

WHITEY
07-21-2008, 02:23 AM

The more I read your posts the more you solidify the fact that you truely are a 100% class A MORON!

Cashcleaner
07-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Robert gets really visibly frustrated when things aren't going his way. When he's pissed off with one of our guys it can be a real detriment to the squad, but when directed at an opposing players, like say.......Ronnie O'Brien, it seems pretty effective at putting them off.

I sorta agree that he needs to show some more energy, but he's far from a disappointment to me.

Flipityflu
07-21-2008, 04:37 AM
how quickly we forget...

we had more crosses in the last match than we had all last season.

bhoybobby
07-21-2008, 07:21 AM
He's a French Loaf(er) he's got talent but unless someone in the other team kicks him, or pisses him off he floats around doing nothing, like Rohan, hi cross percentage is woeful.

With the talent he has, he should be doing a lot more.

Oldtimer
07-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Given Guevara's game to that point, I wondered why Robert didn't take the penalty. Afterward, I wished that he had.

Smenge
07-21-2008, 08:12 AM
One gets the feeling Zidane would be roundly criticized in this forum by the twits that have nil soccer insight.

ExiledRed
07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
One gets the feeling Zidane would be roundly criticized in this forum by the twits that have nil soccer insight.

If you think Bobby has nil soccer insight, then you are exposing your own lack of insight.

If Zidane came over here and mailed in his performance, yes, we'd be pissed at him too, once the honeymoon was over.

nimamalek
07-21-2008, 08:53 AM
He's a French Loaf(er) he's got talent but unless someone in the other team kicks him, or pisses him off he floats around doing nothing, like Rohan, hi cross percentage is woeful.

With the talent he has, he should be doing a lot more.

might be because every time he put in a good cross we had 1 forward and 5 defenders in the box, one issue with Geuvera floating high is that we only get one forward in the box, i think Robert realized this and started to get frustrated hence the reason why he took defenders on rather than crossing the ball in the second half

Flipityflu
07-21-2008, 09:03 AM
If you think Bobby has nil soccer insight, then you are exposing your own lack of insight.

If Zidane came over here and mailed in his performance, yes, we'd be pissed at him too, once the honeymoon was over.

2nd that and i don't even (completely) agree with bhohbobby on this. i've been dissapointed with Robert, but i think with better goal scoring options, he can up his play. i think that if it wasn't for ricketts starting to play so well i'd spend more time kicking Robert though lol.

jabbronies
07-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm a Robert supporter I think he could be a great asset to the team, but he has done fuck all the past few games (Since the Montreal game).

Yes, he has had some brilliant runs and he has had some great passes and crosses(alot of which have been F'd up by the strikers) but he is freakin lazy sometimes.

But I question if he is to blame? Alot of passes to him are usually off by like 5-10 feet.
His runs haven't been the greatest, but if you notice, he usually does them as a last resort. it's usually done during a part of the game when everyone else is sitting around doing fuck all and he tries and sparks everyone to get moving.

trane
07-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I like all of our mids for their tallent level in their respective positions, even Edu when he is playing and not dreaming about his picture of a cereal box ( I figure he is a Yank that is what they want). It is the overall team play, energy and killer instinct that they are missing. Guevarra has not been the leader I had hoped that he would be, you have to admit that they are a more driven team with Dichio on there.

Flipityflu
07-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I like all of our mids for their tallent level in their respective positions, even Edu when he is playing and not dreaming about his picture of a cereal box

more like dreaming of his face on a EA box :)

trane
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
^ You nailed it.

nimamalek
07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I love Robert, puts in a couple of great crosses and balls every game, if we had guys who could finish then we'd be praising him for his crossing quality. Once or twice a game he cuts past 2 defenders and puts in a nice shot on goal as well.

Toronto_Bhoy
07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Personally, I think he's a lazy fuck…as the top wage earner we need to get way more out of him.

O'Brien got under his skin early Saturday and his head was on a swivel for the rest of the afternoon. Sure he's got some nice touches and he can cross a ball but he needs to contribute at another level.

IMO, Ricketts needs to another gear as well…

bhoybobby
07-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm a Robert supporter I think he could be a great asset to the team, but he has done fuck all the past few games (Since the Montreal game).

Yes, he has had some brilliant runs and he has had some great passes and crosses(alot of which have been F'd up by the strikers) but he is freakin lazy sometimes.

But I question if he is to blame? Alot of passes to him are usually off by like 5-10 feet.
His runs haven't been the greatest, but if you notice, he usually does them as a last resort. it's usually done during a part of the game when everyone else is sitting around doing fuck all and he tries and sparks everyone to get moving.

Ya gotta admit, he does do a lot of walking, sulking & standing, he's very economical with his effort & application. He needs to pick it up another notch

giambac
07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Ya gotta admit, he does do a lot of walking, sulking & standing, he's very economical with his effort & application. He needs to pick it up another notch

Shit,

That's the perfect summary for Robert. That's all he does.

Derko
07-21-2008, 10:02 PM

As I said last time giambac, you suggested a starting lineup that didn't work that match, sure against San Jose, TFC should have one, but you seem to always have good points and then fuck-up your posting with the hard on you have for anything that is UK/Carver related. Are you really a TFC supporter or just a bitter person?

Cashcleaner
07-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Given Guevara's game to that point, I wondered why Robert didn't take the penalty. Afterward, I wished that he had.

Yeah I don't get it either. I had thought Robert was our go-to guy for penalties, why did they give it to Guevara? I know that you always want to mix that sorta stuff up on the pitch, but I'm very confident that Robert would have given us the win with that penalty.