PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 32: TFC @ Philly, 7:30pm TSN2

mowe
10-05-2013, 01:14 PM
The return of Osorio, Caldwell, Earnshaw, Nelson, O'Leary, and of course the RPB boards.

I'm thinking

Bendik
Bloom--Caldwell--Henry--Morgan
Rey--Osorio--Russell--Convey
Dike--Earnshaw

pdubs
10-05-2013, 01:29 PM
hope we see bekker get some minutes to see how he is developing. heck, at this point id like to see welshman get 10-15 mins. like why not we aren't playing for anything at this point

ag futbol
10-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I was just thinking I admire Philly and what they've done over the last little while. They've taken a team of younger guys and stuck with them as they develop.

That being said, it feels a bit like an apathy fest today.

Richard
10-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Leafs home opener tonight, safe to say it will be another record low crowd.

OgtheDim
10-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Umm....the game is in Philly.

Personally I'm out at Nuit Blanche tonight but will be keeping tabs on my phone via the MLS site, and this one if somebody bothers to post.

Auzzy
10-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Leafs home opener tonight, safe to say it will be another record low crowd.

That, and the fact they're playing in Philly tonight. Not going to be too many people making their way to BMO Field as a result. :D

EDIT Oops too slow.

Richard
10-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Oops. Well that shows about how much I care about TFC atm.

__wowza
10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
i originally volunteered to help a friend out at nuit blanche thinking the game was at 4. :facepalm:
either way, i gave up enough of my saturday nights in france to be able to sit this one out..

pdubs
10-05-2013, 06:26 PM
surprise lineup nelly makes a change to formation?

Starting XI v. @PhilaUnion (https://twitter.com/PhilaUnion): Bendik, Bloom, Caldwell, Henry, Morgan, Rey, Russell, Hall, Convey, Osorio, Dike.

maybe

------------------Bendik------------------
Bloom------Caldwell-----Henry-----Morgan
Rey-----Russell-----Hall-----Convey
-----------------Osorio-------------------
-------------------Dike-------------------

also not ecks missing from the bench
Bench v. @PhilaUnion (https://twitter.com/PhilaUnion): Frei, Agbossoumonde, Elmer, Earnshaw, Bekker, Lambe, Wiedeman.

Greatest Ripoff
10-05-2013, 06:32 PM
anyone have a stream link?

edit:

http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/212539/1/watch-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc.html

Corpand
10-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Out of the country, would love a working stream too. The F1rstRow one does not work.

EDIT: Aaaand now it works.

We need to be careful of McIne...

SoccMan2
10-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Usual screw up by Henry there, we were lucky.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 06:43 PM
henry and morgan are playing sloppy tn

mowe
10-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Aw, Convey shoots wide after a well-executed corner.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 06:51 PM
convey down

pdubs
10-05-2013, 06:53 PM
osorio needs to put that in the back of the net that was great buildup

ChrisFizik
10-05-2013, 06:54 PM
that was a brockie move Osorio, come on

Corpand
10-05-2013, 06:55 PM
So much space at the moment. We are finding lots of it mainly because of Dike. His presence is disturbing the defenders.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 07:01 PM
i have to say it. tfc look pretty good right now. just need to limit the bonehead mistakes we tend to make.

Kayaker
10-05-2013, 07:02 PM
...and is it just me, or are we seeing better final 1/3 passing than we have seen in a long while? Is it more consistency in the line-up?

mowe
10-05-2013, 07:17 PM
What a turn by Osorio. Loving TFC's play.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 07:19 PM
bah dike almost had the break away

pdubs
10-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 24s (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/386648007245959168) Oh ... Danny Cruz with a dirty challenge in an MLS match? Who would have guessed? #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) #Doop

(https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Doop&src=hash)Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/386648949974528001) 1ST HALF THOUGHTS: Best half of the season for #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) ... Cruz should be off ... Dike, as I said when trade happened, a solid signing.

(https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Doop&src=hash)

khso11
10-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Relatively playing better for tfc tonight, maybe the confidence gained from last game. Mark Bloom should be kept for next year, his vision is definitely better than Ecks. Need to find a CB/DM/LB (if Elmer is not ready) in the offseason. This game could go both ways, hope TFC could find something in the second half!

PopePouri
10-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/386648949974528001) 1ST HALF THOUGHTS: Best half of the season for #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) ...

(https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Doop&src=hash)

...with 41% possession?

Okay.

PopePouri
10-05-2013, 07:46 PM
TFC now playing a 4-4-1-1

Yohan
10-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Its not how much of the ball you have. Its what you do with it

pdubs
10-05-2013, 07:48 PM

exactly

PopePouri
10-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Yeah but we've been much more dominant in other first halves where we've had more possession and we actually scored a goal. E.g. Montreal.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 07:52 PM
i love dike omg. just plowing through

ChrisFizik
10-05-2013, 08:01 PM
dike excellent run tonight, great to see -- someone with some fire (until his spirit gets crushed like everyone else) -- but gonna need some more numbers on the board to win me right over.
Earnshaw in. Do something to earn that super chant will ya Robbie.

Super
10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I must say Dike has been a pleasant surprise. I know understand why the Portland fans were sad to see him go. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 08:16 PM
earnshaw hits the bar

mowe
10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Another booking could possibly have been red. We're in for a tense last 10 minutes.

SoccMan2
10-05-2013, 08:18 PM
We need an attacking midfielder.

mowe
10-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Earnshaw has no legs. That was a certain goal.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
dike or weeds would of gotten a shot off i think

lobo
10-05-2013, 08:27 PM
tough to tell which team is playing down a man

mowe
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
So same old TFC, then.

pdubs
10-05-2013, 08:33 PM
henry should be benched next game

QBall
10-05-2013, 08:33 PM
FFS Joe, you could have at least tried and dive for it. 1-0

ChrisFizik
10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
gosh.

terrible, as usual I guess, use of the man-advantage. Didn't even look like they had it.
Earnshaw & Rey don't play together well apparently. Huge missed chance there.

And then that well taken free kick right over the wall and in. Sigh. Damnit

I'm out

Good rest of weekend all.

SoccMan2
10-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Sad only TFC can play a man up and be dominated like that but hey we have Nelson and his great coaching for another waste of a year next season, that loss is all coaching people and nothing else!

vince93
10-05-2013, 08:36 PM
FFS Joe, you could have at least tried and dive for it. 1-0

do you relay think anyone could save that?

Richard
10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Is this real life?

Just tuning in to see the score, saw its was 0-0. Then bam, we loose.

QBall
10-05-2013, 08:38 PM
do you relay think anyone could save that?

At least make an attempt. A free kick that close he should be reaching for anything that comes over the wall.

QBall
10-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Was Dike showing any signs of being hurt? I have a hard time believing switching Dike for Earnshaw was a tactical move.

khso11
10-05-2013, 08:43 PM
should of been 2 man down for philly, but either way the whole team doesn't have that fighting mentality anyway, playing with one man up, but still decide to sit back. Kudos to philly, this will definitely be another wake up call for leiweke. Earnie saying he needs service, he got it but still couldnt produce, so goodbye. Wtf was Bendik doing, that was not a powerful freekick, not even near the post, alot of keeper could've got a touch to it. this is embarrassing, if more than half of these players is still here next season, there will be no hope. fucking ridiculous.

jazzy
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
philly announcer -TFC knows how to blow games ,they've done that all year!.. down a man can't counter......as usual our subs are CSL quality . sorry about insulting CSL. Nice UFC soccer match though. Can see Frei at least diving for that ! Don't get it Neilson hints he'll use Dike and Earnshaw together , big small get it , but yet again puts Earnshaw with who weideman....both similar and both not up to par . It is time Neilson is looked at critically . We need an offensive coordinator . Oh ya an AM !

OgtheDim
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Very few MLS teams know how to make a man advantage pay. Especially the defensive minded ones. From what I'm reading our finishing is the normal crud.

nonc
10-05-2013, 08:50 PM
henry should be benched next game

Henry was OK let's not overreact because of a foul, you should fault Bendik at least as much for not even reacting to the free kick. It's not like it grazed the post or was hit hard. No excuse not to get a read on that. Morgan is a turnover machine. Hall is a turnover machine who also gets dispossessed way more than he should as a DM. Earnshaw is useless. Nelsen is suspect.

Didn't Dike go even longer two weeks ago and almost 90 last week? I don't buy that he had to be taken off at 55 for fitness, huge mistake if not injured. I hate Parke what a dirty flopping scrub he's lucky he's insulated by some defensive talent and speed.

Richard
10-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Best time to bring in Frie for the last two games? Keep Bendik from screwing up a solid year(rest too), and give the fans a farewell to Frie.

jazzy
10-05-2013, 08:52 PM
should of been 2 man down for philly, but either way the whole team doesn't have that fighting mentality anyway, playing with one man up, but still decide to sit back. Kudos to philly, this will definitely be another wake up call for leiweke. Earnie saying he needs service, he got it but still couldnt produce, so goodbye. Wtf was Bendik doing, that was not a powerful freekick, not even near the post, alot of keeper could've got a touch to it. this is embarrassing, if more than half of these players is still here next season, there will be no hope. fucking ridiculous.

Hate being negative in the spirit of the return of the reinvented boards..... but you are spot on......and I am confused on the strategy ? of our future . We are the laughing stock in MLS . In print and now on broadcasts . Shame , we don't deserve it.

ag futbol
10-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Handling of subs was atrocious, so was the officiating.

How does MLS expect us to take this league seriously? Play is too scrappy.

OgtheDim
10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
You people take what any MLS official team announcers say about the opposing team seriously? Maybe the San Jose guys I would but the rest are less impartial then us.

cochrdoc
10-05-2013, 09:12 PM
I thought we have been saying for the last so many years that we need more experience with our fullback line.Not much improvement all year.We are going to be in the same boat next year ,not enough depth when our 2 DP`s get hurt.Earnshaw had no quickness at all .Rey was out of gas and has been alittle improvement on the flanks,but no speed or fitness.Why did we bring in an international left back in if he cannot crack the starting line-up.Our 2 first round draft choices have had no impact,another wasted draft.Why can teams draft players that come in and help and we keep ours for alittle while and get rid of the one`s who can help us.

Nerepis
10-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Looking forward to seeing Laba and Rey playing together next year, Dike was definitely a bright spot today but did I miss someone getting hauled off the field on a stretcher? 6 minutes extra time?

pdubs
10-05-2013, 09:15 PM
looks like we are going to see frei next game cause bendik got sent off right after the goal. said something to the ref

nonc
10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Bendik also tried to give the game away in the second half inexplicably letting the ball bounce right near his line which Casey set up for a Hoppenot tap in but he was blocked. Even if he's asssuming it's being headed away, anything that close to him and his goal should be a no brainer to catch it's like the first fundamentals you learn as a keeper.

nonc
10-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing Laba and Rey playing together next year, Dike was definitely a bright spot today but did I miss someone getting hauled off the field on a stretcher? 6 minutes extra time?

Rey is our most dangerous playmaker his teammates are starting to realize this, he gets the ball a lot in the final third because everyone else is clueless. I'm happy about Osorio and everything but the kid is deceptively slow. Compare to Rey's closing speed it's night and day.

habstfc
10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
I have no idea what nelsen was thinking taking Dike off. TFC were the better team til that happened. That foul on rey was a red no doubt, the officiating is really what turns me off. The foul on henry gifting the free kick goal was ridiculous. Henry barely touched arms with the guy. Officiating needs to be the top priority for this league not expansion. Earnshaw better not be back next year. I'm only renewing if light grey are available. My north end seats are good but not $1,000 good.

QBall
10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
looks like we are going to see frei next game cause bendik got sent off right after the goal. said something to the ref

Are you sure? I don't recall the announcers mentioning it and on the MLS recap page it shows Bendik was yellowed for time wasting in the 86th minute but that's it.

https://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-10-05-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc

Nerepis
10-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Are you sure? I don't recall the announcers mentioning it and on the MLS recap page it shows Bendik was yellowed for time wasting in the 86th minute but that's it.

https://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-10-05-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc

TSN said Red card after the final whistle.

DOMIN8R
10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Our D looks very good. I'm proud of our back line - for the most part. We have problems up top.

I'm growing tired of the constant whining from players and coaches alike. I know our officiating is painful at times but the constant complaining to the officials is borderline childish. It has to stop. In small part because it works. Officials are influenced by the constant badgering, IMO. But it demeans the game, more importantly.

QBall
10-05-2013, 09:52 PM
TSN said Red card after the final whistle.

Ah, I see. I kind of rage quit right after the final whistle sounded. I guess what's worst is the final two matches are against teams who are also trying to hold onto their playoff spot and desperately need a win. Seeing how they were higher up in the standings than Philly when the this game started means the chances of us exceeding last year's win total is remote.

ag futbol
10-05-2013, 10:13 PM
That foul on rey was a red no doubt, the officiating is really what turns me off. The foul on henry gifting the free kick goal was ridiculous. Henry barely touched arms with the guy. Officiating needs to be the top priority for this league not expansion.
Agreed.

MLS headoffice should be on red-alert about how bad the officiating has been this year. Hope the coaches give them an earful.

BTW, watching Dillion Powers and Deshorn Brown for colorado tonight our draft should officially be considered an epic failure. I don't know who did the talent evaluation this year but they should be shot.

Haddy
10-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Our D looks very good. I'm proud of our back line - for the most part. We have problems up top.

I'm growing tired of the constant whining from players and coaches alike. I know our officiating is painful at times but the constant complaining to the officials is borderline childish. It has to stop. In small part because it works. Officials are influenced by the constant badgering, IMO. But it demeans the game, more importantly.

I've always enjoyed this season's use of the officials as a scapegoat. Yes, they've made mistakes. They will always make mistakes. Get over it. Be a man and shoulder some of the blame yourself.

TFC's real problem: 2nd lowest goals-for, 3rd worst goal differential. You're not going to win anything with those two stats.

Auzzy
10-05-2013, 10:41 PM
philly announcer -TFC knows how to blow games ,they've done that all year!.. down a man can't counter......as usual our subs are CSL quality . sorry about insulting CSL. Nice UFC soccer match though. Can see Frei at least diving for that ! Don't get it Neilson hints he'll use Dike and Earnshaw together , big small get it , but yet again puts Earnshaw with who weideman....both similar and both not up to par . It is time Neilson is looked at critically . We need an offensive coordinator . Oh ya an AM !

I agree with just about everything you & others said.

Bendik some great stops but also some great gaffs tonight. I totally agree that Frei deserves a couple of games, even w/o the red to Bendik. I just worry that Nelsen (really getting sick of his idiocy) will play Konopka instead of Frei.

Just one thing though -- I bet Frei would have just watched that goal sail in as well. That was one of few things that pissed me off about Frei when he was our regular keeper: he would get frozen or not go for shots where he thought he might not have a chance. That's ridiculous, you never know how balls will end up, they can slow down or curve before they get to the net, and a seemingly unstoppable shot suddenly gets stopped. Frei (and Bendik) should always be making an attempt on a shot like that. (Not sure if Bendik was even ready for the free kick tonight.)

Some occasional nice play by TFC tonight, but ugly finishing. Some ugliness all around actually. Sometimes Henry & Morgan just don't have their heads screwed on tight. They (and a few others) occasionally display a nonchalance that's totally inappropriate considering their age, experience, skill, and the position of the team in the standings.

TFC pisses me off. Many of Philly's players piss me off. The whole officiating crew pissed me off tonight. (TFC players repeatedly got tackled from behind, plus other dangerous tackles, often not even a whistle. Then that weak call against Henry that finished the game.) But I'm not even blaming the ref for the result, that game was there for the taking by TFC, so many clear chances wasted.

ag futbol
10-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I've always enjoyed this season's use of the officials as a scapegoat. Yes, they've made mistakes. They will always make mistakes. Get over it. Be a man and shoulder some of the blame yourself.

TFC's real problem: 2nd lowest goals-for, 3rd worst goal differential. You're not going to win anything with those two stats.
^ Agreed. While I was bored a little while ago I started looking at all the post game comments from Nelsen over the past couple of months. Basically every game where we lost or tied you could find a quote from Nelsen about TFC's bad fortune.

I don't know if he actually believes what he says, but someone needs to give him media training because the "we deserved better" routine is getting tired.

Auzzy
10-05-2013, 10:45 PM

I remember Leiweke saying that the complaints about the officiating are useless and need to stop, but Nelsen keeps it up. That can't sit well with TL.

khso11
10-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Hate being negative in the spirit of the return of the reinvented boards..... but you are spot on......and I am confused on the strategy ? of our future . We are the laughing stock in MLS . In print and now on broadcasts . Shame , we don't deserve it.

me neither, but its just too frustrating.

Couchy81
10-06-2013, 02:42 AM
I think the bad officiating is amplified by watching a bad team. If you have a good team, the bad officiating is somewhat cancelled out by the good play of our team. Bad team play only accentuates bad officiating.

PopePouri
10-06-2013, 03:51 AM
I have no idea what nelsen was thinking taking Dike off.

7 months since ACL injury? No point risking it this season.

Speaking of Dike, It's amazing how good we look we have a proper no. 9 that can hold up the ball and can challenge for long balls.

Shakes McQueen
10-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Bad officiating is infuriating in this league, but over the arc of an entire season (or several seasons), you ultimately create your own luck. It gets a little tiring seeing losses pinned on team misfortune by the coach. The odd game, sure.

There's also a hint of confirmation bias, because people never forget the games where bad officiating swung in our fortune. Still makes it an inexcusable problem, but not necessarily one that has haunted Toronto FC, and Toronto FC only.

- Scott

OgtheDim
10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I think the bad officiating is amplified by watching a bad team. If you have a good team, the bad officiating is somewhat cancelled out by the good play of our team. Bad team play only accentuates bad officiating.

Every team is complaining about the officiating this season. There are a lot of new refs this year. The guy last night, it was his 28th game, or something like that. Nobody expects the level of that bald Italian guy at the World Cup from 10 years ago or so, and the quality should get better next season. But the officiating has been below what it should be at this level.

DOMIN8R
10-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Bad officiating is infuriating in this league, but over the arc of an entire season (or several seasons), you ultimately create your own luck. It gets a little tiring seeing losses pinned on team misfortune by the coach. The odd game, sure.

There's also a hint of confirmation bias, because people never forget the games where bad officiating swung in our fortune. Still makes it an inexcusable problem, but not necessarily one that has haunted Toronto FC, and Toronto FC only.

- Scott

Absolutely. Having said that - I have little faith that it will change. So I better just suck it up an get use to it I suppose.:topic:

Suds
10-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Developing league = developing refs. Will be that way until some of these younger inexperienced refs get some years under their belts. Let's hope MLS finds a few good ones to get some depth on that area as well.

ag futbol
10-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Developing league = developing refs. Will be that way until some of these younger inexperienced refs get some years under their belts. Let's hope MLS finds a few good ones to get some depth on that area as well.
While there were always going to be growing pains along the way, considering how MLS has handled the officiating they have nobody but themselves to blame.

Five or six years ago their public stance was that the USSF trained all the refs and they retained no responsibility. Much like the early days of NCAA players and drafting, they love the idea they can get a free lunch while someone else does the work. It was a pretty backwards place to start from as MLS is the primary benefactor of having better officials (and players) available.

To make matters worse, they are slow to increase the number of "full time" (ie. reasonably paid) officials around the league. We have zero full time linesmen and only some fulltime officials. For a league that's already stretched and is going to be expanding this is unacceptable.

Fort York Redcoat
10-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Best time to bring in Frie for the last two games? Keep Bendik from screwing up a solid year(rest too), and give the fans a farewell to Frie.

This is the best thing I've read about our goal keeping situation all year long, anywhere. Agree, agree, agree. People who want to slight one to compensate for how much they like the other are just lazy analysts. Both of them have been good for us and great at times.

bones
10-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Since the letters "TSN" were in the title of this thread I feel it's on topic.

Dear TSN, don't EVER use Vic Rauter for TFC again. The man can NOT call a game. Stick to curling or polo. I nearly had fist through TV syndrome a few times with his total shit call.

OgtheDim
10-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Having listened to the Philly in house staff, I would take Rauter. At least he enjoys the language.

notthesun
10-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Can't stand Rauter's play-by-play either, he throws in all these odd pauses and never seems sure about what he's going to say next.