PDA

View Full Version : Today's News: Sunday July 20

arbogast
07-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Victory drought continues for Toronto FC
Morgan Campbell
Sports Reporter

Five minutes to full time, as fans in the western stands began to exit the stadium, the public address announcer at BMO Field informed the crowd that one lucky spectator would collect nearly $3,700 from the day's 50-50 draw.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/463748

Carver melts down at referees, 'negative' press
Cathal Kelly (http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/94561)

Toronto FC coach John Carver came into his post-match press conference squirming with rage over the officiating.
But when the first question included the word "sluggish" in reference to the pace of the game, Carver turned on the assembled media instead.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/463749

Toronto FC held to draw with San Jose
John F. Molinaro CBC Sports (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/credit.html)

Make no mistake about it: Toronto FC is mired in a slump.
The Canadian club was held to a 0-0 draw at home by the lowly San Jose Earthquakes Saturday afternoon, running its Major League Soccer winless streak to four games.
Toronto (6-6-4, 22 points) has not won since registering a 3-1 decision over the Colorado Rapids on June 14.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/19/toronto-fc-july19-report.html

TFC can't capitalize
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

It must have been the stifling heat -- 30C and sweltering humidity -- that made yesterday's Major League Soccer match between Toronto FC and the San Jose Earthquakes excruciatingly hard to watch and harder to play. The 0-0 result, however, had little to do with the heat, the humidity or the rain, as TFC coach John Carver made abundantly clear after the match in front of 20,264 at BMO Field.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/20/6209971-sun.html

SUNSHINE:
http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html

arbogast
07-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm willig to bet it was Cathal KElly that Carver uloaded on over the 'sluggish' comment. that prat doesn't know jack abot soccer and his article is verrrry defensive.

johnmolinaro
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm willig to bet it was Cathal KElly that Carver uloaded on over the 'sluggish' comment. that prat doesn't know jack abot soccer and his article is verrrry defensive.
nope, it wasn't Cathal.

The Pope
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
nope, it wasn't Cathal.

he's still a douchebag

I understand he wrote this article after Carvers "tantrum" (Cathals words) but has this guy EVER written one good word about the club?

And did anyone get this on video?

Helmet
07-20-2008, 10:14 AM

"I sit and wonder, why hasn't (Toronto's) hockey team won anything? Why hasn't the baseball team been successful lately? Because I'm coming from the outside and I don't know if you guys get your heads together cause you don't like writing nice things. ... You just want to write sh--. And I'm wondering if it's a knock-on effect to all the other sports. Does Toronto want their teams to be successful? I'm asking you."

His bosses might agree. No one in the room did.

I have to agree with Carver on this one. If you always tell someone they are crap, they will be.

Toronto's sports media has a tendency to only write garbage and to demand instant success. If success does not follow then they demand change.

A championship organization needs time to build properly. Sure you can win overnight, but this will generally mean losing just as quickly.

Build slow, build right, have a plan. Demand improvement and hold athletes accountable for their efforts.

Pachuco
07-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Cathal is a douchebag. I just wish he worked for the National Post so I wouldn't have to see his articles ever again.

kdzb
07-20-2008, 10:41 AM
The only difference between Canada's failure in sports compared to our neighbour to the south is the sports media outlets and how they promote their teams.
You will never see the Americans talk crap about their teams / players even when sometimes they are shit. And they are always held as HEROS that's why their athlets gives 110% in any competition they are competing in.
It's called PRIDE and they don't want to let down their fans and Critics.

noochie
07-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Carver and the team should stop reading press articles... I mean get a summary from a team relations person. What is next, trolling message boards?

God forbid players and coaches come on here and see some of the crap that gets spewed. Focus on the task at hand and skip over reading the sports section of the local papers. Playing the stock market is less stressful than following a local sports team in the Toronto media quicksand.

ManUtd4ever
07-20-2008, 10:47 AM

I have to agree with Carver on this one. If you always tell someone they are crap, they will be.

Toronto's sports media has a tendency to only write garbage and to demand instant success. If success does not follow then they demand change.

A championship organization needs time to build properly. Sure you can win overnight, but this will generally mean losing just as quickly.

Build slow, build right, have a plan. Demand improvement and hold athletes accountable for their efforts.

I think this has been a trait of the Toronto media only towards the leafs, and more recently, TFC. The Jays, Raptors, and Argos have historically had a much easier ride in this town as far as media scrutiny is concerned. I think the intense criticism of TFC that has surfaced this season is a reflection of the passion of our fan base and our desire to win...

Southsider
07-20-2008, 11:11 AM
The only difference between Canada's failure in sports compared to our neighbour to the south is the sports media outlets and how they promote their teams.
You will never see the Americans talk crap about their teams / players even when sometimes they are shit. And they are always held as HEROS that's why their athlets gives 110% in any competition they are competing in.
It's called PRIDE and they don't want to let down their fans and Critics.

I have 2 points to make about this:

1. Given that Canada has 1/10th the population and 1/10th of the funding of American amatuer and professional sports we are outrageously successful. :canada:

2. Americans don't talk crap about their players and teams? What did you just smoke? :eek: Have you ever listened to an after game call in show on an American media outlet after a football loss, the backstabbing and negativity on these boards is nothing in comparison to the way yankees LOVE to hate on their teams.

koryo
07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
For once, Kelly is fairly even-handed. He gets straight to heart of the matter: the terrible officiating in this league is doing my head in as well.

Oldtimer
07-20-2008, 12:07 PM
2. Americans don't talk crap about their players and teams? What did you just smoke? :eek: Have you ever listened to an after game call in show on an American media outlet after a football loss, the backstabbing and negativity on these boards is nothing in comparison to the way yankees LOVE to hate on their teams.

Great point. just look at how Philadelphia ("The City of Brotherly Love") treats their hockey team after a loss. Scary.

arbogast
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
nope, it wasn't Cathal.

Damn. I figured it was him from his comments and the fact that he usually writes negative articles. It sincerely hope it wasn't you John, as you know your stuff, write balanced pieces and don't deserve that kind of treatment.

johnmolinaro
07-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Damn. I figured it was him from his comments and the fact that he usually writes negative articles. It sincerely hope it wasn't you John, as you know your stuff, write balanced pieces and don't deserve that kind of treatment.

nope, wasn't me either.

ilikemusic
07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Honestly Carver needs to STFU about negative media. Maybe he would like to go manage in Kansas City where he wont have to deal with any press at all.

You think Eli Manning got a free ride from the New York media? You think they werent ripping on him every step of the way? Does A-Rod get a free ride? What about the Cubs. Is it the Chicago media's fault they havent won in 100 years?

Toronto's media is the reason our teams dont win?

Please. Get that weak shit out of here.

arbogast
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Honestly Carver needs to STFU about negative media. Maybe he would like to go manage in Kansas City where he wont have to deal with any press at all.

You think Eli Manning got a free ride from the New York media? You think they werent ripping on him every step of the way? Does A-Rod get a free ride? What about the Cubs. Is it the Chicago media's fault they havent won in 100 years?

Toronto's media is the reason our teams dont win?

Please. Get that weak shit out of here.

We'll I'm sure the players don't enjoy some of the bullshit coverage they get either as it only adds to their stress and puts them off. having said that, the players can choose to ignore it altogether, but I can't see how the press here is any worse than it is in the UK where journalists love building people up just to tear them down all the time.

I still have to agree with him that too many beat writers who've been assigned to the team don't know the sport and will resort to lowest common denominator journalism to please their editors and sell papers.

ilikemusic
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I cant argue that the general media in Canada doesnt know jack squat about soccer (and their knowledge of our league is even more pathetic), but calling out every franchise in Toronto and using an excuse like negative press is weak. Very weak.

Fiin
07-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I cant argue that the general media in Canada doesnt know jack squat about soccer (and their knowledge of our league is even more pathetic), but calling out every franchise in Toronto and using an excuse like negative press is weak. Very weak.

Agreed.. though 1 up from the game yesterday is we didnt play that long ball garbage... now just gotta get rid of that crossball and were golden!!

ALL TOGETHER ALL TOGETHER

RUN RUN!

rocker
07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
don't pay heed to this sort of controversy.... it's normal in all sports.

Journalists ask dumb questions, coaches yell at them, journalists pretend they are the guardians of objectivity and working just on behalf of the poor fans (which is total bullshit anyways).. etc... repeat ad nauseum.

most of the time coaches know exactly what they are doing when they get into an argument with a journalist... nothing to lose sleep over.

Jimmy The Saint
07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, ya know....

I'm a Colorado Avalanche fan on the hockey side of things and read the local press from Denver after games, and also for the Habs. Even Montreal doesn;t crucify their teams the way Toronto does.

Considering the only Toronto team I support is TFC, I see the sporting press as an outsider, like Carver. It makes NO sense. The Sun will bow down and lick Leaf ass when they win 3 in a row, but if they break that streak the shit down their throats. Argos. Jays. The Rock. The Marlies.

And TFC.

I admit, I criticize my teams, I bitch, I get mad...and while Carver's argument is weak, he really should not have to speak to the press everyday like he's coaching the Leafs.

If he was in Sir Alex' position at Old Trafford, or the GM of the Canadiens I could see it, but a 2nd year club, half way through the tables and he's talking to the press everyday? Ridiculous.

And really, they could write something nice every once in a while.