PDA

View Full Version : Tom Anselmi Appreciation thread

OfficeGuy
09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Cuz you know he monitors the boards and stuff He will forever be part of our beloved Reds history Thanks for the memories and memorable quips!

OfficeGuy
09-06-2013, 11:38 AM
almost prophetic anagram too : Team Slim No

OfficeGuy
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/tom-anselmi-resigns-from-mlse/article14161589/#dashboard/follows/

TearsForCheers
09-06-2013, 12:00 PM
If he was a woman, I would suggest everyone chant in unison: "Ding, Dong, the witch is dead..."

prizby
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Thank you Tom Anselmi for bringing Major League Soccer to Toronto; we'd never have had a team without you; you might have messed up many times once we got a team, but it can't be forgotten what you did to give us a team in the first place

Oldtimer
09-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Thank you Tom Anselmi for bring Major League Soccer to Toronto; we'd never have had a team without you; you might have messed up many times once we got a team, but it can't be forgotten what you did to give us a team in the first place

+1

Tom was a big part of bringing MLS to Toronto.

tfcleeds
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey Tommy A. - you build nice condos.

Phil
09-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Yup, big thanks to Tom for bringing us the team. All the best going forward!

OgtheDim
09-06-2013, 12:46 PM
I think Anselmi was the plumber who set MLSE up for a smooth transition from the Teacher's focus on profit to Boger's focus on content, which ultimately should pay off dividends for TFC. His work on the condo projects, pushed by Tanenbaum but built by Anselmi, afforded MLSE the money to be able to spend more moving forward.

He was never going to fit into the new content focused MLSE under Bogers. And I will not miss him.

But, he did a good job at something that attracted people that will ultimately, eventually, change TFC to be a better organization.

tfcleeds
09-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how instrumental was Anselmi in actually bringing the team to Toronto? Not trying to start anything in an appreciation thread, but I was under the impression he was more on the business development/real estate side of MLSE, and that the TFC president gig was more of a "portfolio" that he was given/"promoted" to in 2006 because of his other, successful work within the organization. I'm not trying to start anything, I'm genuinely curious. I mean, he really wasn't a soccer guy, that's obvious. So how was he so instrumental in bringing the club here?

Initial B
09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks to Tom for being a part of the vanguard that brought the MLS to Toronto. He is a good Real Estate executive and I hope he finds a rewarding job that matches his skill-set. And he still has a position on that Board of Directors that was posted a couple of months ago, doesn't he?

GlenM
09-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how instrumental was Anselmi in actually bringing the team to Toronto? Not trying to start anything in an appreciation thread, but I was under the impression he was more on the business development/real estate side of MLSE, and that the TFC president gig was more of a "portfolio" that he was given/"promoted" to in 2006 because of his other, successful work within the organization. I'm not trying to start anything, I'm genuinely curious. I mean, he really wasn't a soccer guy, that's obvious. So how was he so instrumental in bringing the club here?

BINGO

GlenM

TOBOR !
09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Tom, for being a straight shooter. He replied to my emails and listened as I explained why I was not returning as a season ticket holder.

I think he genuinely cared about the team and the fans. He simply failed to surround himself with good people.

dmacd
09-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I met Tom waiting for a plane to Dallas to watch the last game of the CCL Group Stage (the 3-0 win). We tend to accuse MLSE execs of only caring about money, not winning. Say want you want about how well he did the job, but I truly believe that Anselmi wanted to win. He also joined the 10 or so supporters in the seats and then bought us drinks at halftime, which I thought was a nice gesture (including sharing the gem that I've never seen reported elsewhere that Winter had tried to sign Ryan Giggs). Nice guy and class act, from what I saw. I wish him all the best.

tfcleeds
09-06-2013, 01:41 PM
No doubt Anselmi is a classy guy. He was just in over his head when it came to TFC. I do wish him the best.

tfcleeds
09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how instrumental was Anselmi in actually bringing the team to Toronto? Not trying to start anything in an appreciation thread, but I was under the impression he was more on the business development/real estate side of MLSE, and that the TFC president gig was more of a "portfolio" that he was given/"promoted" to in 2006 because of his other, successful work within the organization. I'm not trying to start anything, I'm genuinely curious. I mean, he really wasn't a soccer guy, that's obvious. So how was he so instrumental in bringing the club here?I see that he actually was appointed COO in 2004, something I hadn't been aware of. So yes, he would have been instrumental in bringing the club here. So my question is answered.

SamK
09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Last year if anyone remembers there were a lot of free tickets given away for the first Leafs home game of the year. While in class (I go to Ryerson so following through with this story was a no brainer) my friend texted me saying there will be a Leafs give away at city hall. Standing in line for over an hour and of course no tickets, but we continued trying to get our hands on some Leafs tickets as I could say as much as I love TFC, I love the Leafs on a whole other level - sad life, I know. We entered every contest and went everywhere in downtown Toronto where we thought we might have a chance at winning a pair, as almost every news or sports related radio and tv stations were having their own contests. After about 5 hours following clues from twitter with no luck we decided to head to the ACC with the hopes of being led in the right direction. It was in the hallway between Real Sports bar and store that Anselmi and I saw each other. He immediately said hi saying he recognized me from a TFC game, where we had spoken once, a half year before. After explaining our day to him and asking if he has any tips on where to go next he smiled and pulled out a pair of home opener tickets.

We saw him again that night in the concourse and went up to him to say thank you, he introduced us to who he was there with and was just a very nice guy.

So, thank you Tom Anselmi, you got me to my first and probably last Leafs home opener for a very long time and allowed me to have one of the greatest days I could really dream about.

TOBOR !
09-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Last year if anyone remembers there were a lot of free tickets given away for the first Leafs home game of the year. While in class (I go to Ryerson so following through with this story was a no brainer) my friend texted me saying there will be a Leafs give away at city hall. Standing in line for over an hour and of course no tickets, but we continued trying to get our hands on some Leafs tickets as I could say as much as I love TFC, I love the Leafs on a whole other level - sad life, I know. We entered every contest and went everywhere in downtown Toronto where we thought we might have a chance at winning a pair, as almost every news or sports related radio and tv stations were having their own contests. After about 5 hours following clues from twitter with no luck we decided to head to the ACC with the hopes of being led in the right direction. It was in the hallway between Real Sports bar and store that Anselmi and I saw each other. He immediately said hi saying he recognized me from a TFC game, where we had spoken once, a half year before. After explaining our day to him and asking if he has any tips on where to go next he smiled and pulled out a pair of home opener tickets.

We saw him again that night in the concourse and went up to him to say thank you, he introduced us to who he was there with and was just a very nice guy.

So, thank you Tom Anselmi, you got me to my first and probably last Leafs home opener for a very long time and allowed me to have one of the greatest days I could really dream about.

You should have started that with "I never thought it would happen to me..."

Super
09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
His downfall with TFC was his lack of football knowledge. To me it's actually quite shocking that ANYONE with so little knowledge of the game could have ANY say over what goes on - but then that's MLSE.

Would you hire a guy with zero experience in running a restaurant to run a restaurant? No, right? Would you hire a guy with zero experience in coaching a team to coach your ... umm.. Nevermind. But then that's MLSE.

TOBOR !
09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
His downfall with TFC was his lack of football knowledge. To me it's actually quite shocking that ANYONE with so little knowledge of the game could have ANY say over what goes on - but then that's MLSE.

Would you hire a guy with zero experience in running a restaurant to run a restaurant? No, right? Would you hire a guy with zero experience in coaching a team to coach your ... umm.. Nevermind. But then that's MLSE.

That's when you hire people to run things for you. This is where he didn't have much luck.

Cashcleaner
09-06-2013, 02:54 PM

That's pretty much been the problem with him from Day 1. He just never "got" the fundamentals of how the club should operate, what it's short and long-term goals should be (hint: it's much more than simply playoffs), and and what the club needed to do to really spread the interest and passion in the sport throughout the city.

werewolf
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I was walking past him after a game once, I said "Hi", he replied positively. I appreciated that.

Ageroo
09-06-2013, 03:02 PM
congrats...this thread is longer than the Earl Cochrane appreciation thread....who would have thunk it!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm149/vaan77/borat_great_success.jpg

Rocco
09-06-2013, 04:00 PM
I wish him best of luck with his latest ventures. As any exec. position, we can sit here and point out his success and failure but in the end there is a person who makes the tough decisions and live with it. It may have been better or may have been worse but for better or worse, Tom was a class act and an example of what a top exec. should be.

trane
09-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I appreciate that he has been fired. GOOD TIMES.

Dv23
09-06-2013, 04:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aBFaV.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/aBFaV.gi (http://i.imgur.com/aBFaV.gif)

Davenport
09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
He may have helped bring us a team, but what a mess it is.
He may have helped there as well.
Good riddance.

Cashcleaner
09-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I wish him best of luck with his latest ventures. As any exec. position, we can sit here and point out his success and failure but in the end there is a person who makes the tough decisions and live with it. It may have been better or may have been worse but for better or worse, Tom was a class act and an example of what a top exec. should be.

So, what? Being competent is no longer necessary?

Redcoe15
09-06-2013, 05:44 PM
He's gone. Therefore, I appreciate it.

BuSaPuNk
09-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Yep I appreciate he's gone. He started the country club feel to MLSE starting with the leafs.

I've never been more happy. Good riddence.

The only reason why the media gives him mostly a pass is they have all got perks off him.

SKB
09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Tom. While soccer may not be his forte, he was a first class gentlemen. I wish him the best of luck going forward.

Klinsmann
09-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Tom, Thanks for listening when we asked for year 1 pricing to be brought back this year.

Thanks for this memory as well.....
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6202/6071880110_c20ecfdf85_b.jpg

jazzy
09-06-2013, 06:27 PM
He had class and he's free from the circus and to a comfy job somewhere where he doesn't have to pull knives out of his back daily. One can't fault him for simply being himself. He had a plan , it wasn't bought , now he's moving on . Probably much richer . As much as I wanted to dislike him, he made it hard with his efforts to straighten out a misguided ship .
Two steps forward , one step back.

JayMolly
09-06-2013, 07:37 PM
This is an appreciation thread . . .
You were polite and courteous when we had the opportunity to meet you.
Thank you and best wishes Tom