PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Payne Appreciation Thread

ensco
09-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I've never done one of these, but my sense of disappointment about this is profound. I liked Payne. Really liked him.

I know Payne talked too much. I called him out for it numerous times. (Of course he's a rank amateur at blowing smoke when compared to Mr "I've planned the parade route".)

I know he screwed up the Forlan thing, not that I’m totally buying the story as told to Kelly, by Leiweke I assume – Kelly’s idea of an MLS network would be his Remax agent.

Payne may also have been the guy who screwed up the Silva thing. Not that we’ll ever know what part 2 of that deal was (ie what the plan for the allocation dollars was).

Payne will never talk - he's probably laughing he’s making so much money off this, but he’ll have to keep his mouth shut to get it. Which means Leiweke has the run of the field (we need a nickname for Leiweke btw – PTBarnum maybe?)

Against that did some terrific things. He cleaned up an unreal cap situation. He brought in Osorio. He made long term moves - he wanted Nelsen, and waited for him, he wanted Urruti, and waited for him. He didn’t move on to the next guy, he was patient. It would have been so easy to use the Forlan money elsewhere, but he didn’t.

These things are hard. Really hard. They’re different from what we’ve seen.

Payne is a soccer guy through and through. This is Tim Leiweke’s actual sports background
http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/0...es-a-bullet-3/ (http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/03/18/hearne-leiweke-the-great-powerful-takes-a-bullet-3/)

Leiweke has the mandate to do whatever he wants. I know that. I accept his right to bring in his own guy.

But me, I salute the soccer guy. I wish the soccer guy, and not the suit, had survived.

I will miss him. I would buy him a pint anytime. I hope he knows some people understood what he was trying to do.

andyc
09-04-2013, 11:10 PM
My son and I got to meet him at the season ticket relocation event. He stopped and took time to talk to both of us and had genuine interest in what we said. Paul was with him and kinda sulked in the background without talking to anyone. That was the day I saw a real contrast in management style and for once I think we have an executive that can walk out of this revolving door with his head held high.