PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Payne Appreciation Thread

ensco
09-04-2013, 07:34 PM
I've never done one of these, but my sense of disappointment about this is profound. I liked Payne. Really liked him.

I know Payne talked too much. I called him out for it numerous times. He was just doing what Leiweke is now doing.

I know he screwed up the Forlan thing, not that I’m totally buying the story as told to Kelly, by Leiweke I assume – Kelly’s idea of an MLS network would be his Remax agent.

Payne may also have been the guy who screwed up the Silva thing. Not that we’ll ever know what part 2 of that deal was (ie what the plan for the allocation dollars was).

Payne will never talk - he's probably laughing he’s making so much money off this, but he’ll have to keep his mouth shut to get it. Which means Leiweke has the run of the field (we need a nickname for Leiweke btw – PTBarnum maybe?)

Against that did some terrific things. He cleaned up an unreal cap situation. He brought in Osorio. He made long term moves - he wanted Nelsen, and waited for him, he wanted Urruti, and waited for him. He didn’t move on to the next guy, he was patient. It would have been so easy to use the Forlan money elsewhere, but he didn’t.

These things are hard. Really hard. They’re different from what we’ve seen.

Payne is a soccer guy through and through. This is Tim Leiweke’s actual sports background
http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/0...es-a-bullet-3/ (http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/03/18/hearne-leiweke-the-great-powerful-takes-a-bullet-3/)

Leiweke has the mandate to do whatever he wants. But me, I salute the soccer guy.

I will miss him. I would buy him a pint anytime. I hope he knows some people understood what he was trying to do.

tfcleeds
09-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Liked Payne as well. I like what he did to rectify our cap management situation, and generally how he was going about the rebuild. You can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad overnight. In the end, it was falling short during the window that did him in, after all his pronouncements during the season promising more (not to mention he and TL have very strong personalities - can't see the two of them co-existing for too long).

I think TL has come in like a bull in a china shop, and I'm not sure I like it - all I can say is, he'd better deliver. But I think Payne certainly got the rebuild off to a great start.

All the best, Kevin.

Jack
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Meh on Payne. You present a great one-sided view skewing him in a positive light, but we could just as easily focus on the negatives, of which there were many. I wasn't all that impressed by Payne, though I did like how he cleaned up the cap. Let's see what happens under Leiweke before we throw his reign under the bus. I don't have your predisposition to hate him.

ensco
09-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I don't have your predisposition to hate him.

Hey Jack ... Save the hyperbole, please.

manitou22
09-04-2013, 07:57 PM
He not only inherited a chronically mismanaged team but a discouraged, cynical fan base. He got a lot of us off the politics and talking about soccer again.

OgtheDim
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
He fired Mariner.

He brought in Laba and Urruti and Osorio.

He got rid of the cap crap we were dealing with.

And, for the first time, with both him and Nelsen, I thought we were /are dealing with adults who get MLS.

Jack
09-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Hey Jack ... Save the hyperbole, please.

It seems to me that you have a very negative attitude toward Leiweke. If that isn't the case, then I apologize. Nice try on the hyperbole, but the Drew Carey comparison still qualifies.

Phil
09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
He did some good work and I looked forward to doing more with him regarding support for TFC. All the best to him, someone that I got to know pretty well this season.

Slick
09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
I will miss KP. He understood the game, and how to operate in N. America.

I will especially miss his interviews. I always found him to be direct and to the point.

nfitz
09-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I always found him to be direct and to the point.I'll give him that. He seemed to respect the supporters groups ... and would sooner tell them the dirty reality (such as there are going to be international friendlies whether we like them or not), then make polite but unreal promises about trying to get rid of them.

T-boy
09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Love him or hate him, Payne did a great job at clearing the massively overpriced squad of the dead wood that were draining us of all our assets. Payne has made the job of his successor so much easier. When we actually start to do well next season because we can now sign players and have room in the cap due to allocation and a properly balanced squad, we will have Payne to thank.

Yagbod
09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
From a supporters point of view I found him to be very encouraging. The 'deal with it comment' came about 48 hours after we met with him about Matt, smoke and GA. I wasn't even phased by the comment. He was a straight shooter with his comments to us. A no bullshit kind of guy.

Sadly it was his bullshit with the media that got him binned. I believe that if he had never made the promises about the transfer window his work on clearing cap space and recent signings would have bought him more time.

Time would have shown if this was true or not, but I think he was a friend to supporters. He liked smoke and wanted to find a way to make it work. He liked GA and had a vision to create a de facto GA in part of the south end. Time will tell if the new boss will feel the same way or honour Payne's intentions on these issues.

69Chevy396
09-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Recruiting Laba was a good thing, I will give him credit for that

bones
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
He deserved more than 9 months at this. Bloody ridiculous to do this but it's just my opinion. Also, as for my opinion from the OP, TL's nickname for me is the human puffer fish.

Shakes McQueen
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
- He came in and said all of the right things, like they all do.
- He did a good job of clearing the board, as far as our roster is concerned.
- He over-promised and under-delivered on several fronts, particularly when it came to transfer windows.
- I think he deserved more than 9 months to see his vision for the team realized, and I would say that about virtually any GM we had.
- Leiweke has been here an even shorter period.

- Scott

ag futbol
09-04-2013, 10:45 PM
I think he deserves some credit. He signed some good pieces and at the very least he seemed to bring a professional structure to this club for the first time ever.

Too bad it's a job we'll never know if he was capable of or not. Still goes down as the best GM we've ever had, not that it was a hard contest between him, Aron Winter, and Satan.

Greatest Ripoff
09-05-2013, 03:23 AM
I liked what he did. Based on what I've seen, I think Laba has the potential to be Toronto's best signing to date. I am also interested to see how Urutti turns out. I really like that he brought in talented young players rather than older players that that had very little to offer after a season of games. I just really hope they don't do another 180 and completely change directions.

Brooker
09-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Same old, same old.

Hello, goodbye. Next.

Fort York Redcoat
09-05-2013, 07:08 AM
So this is what happens when we're assigned a President/GM.

Can't imagine who will be a better pick for Leiweke and Nelsen. I can't see anyone coming in getting any time to adjust or build his own vision.

I look forward to being surprised in a positive way.

TFC_Allez
09-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Not happy or sad by this. The writing was on the wall as soon as Lieweke confirmed that Nelsen was safe for the upcoming season. KP helped get our cap situation under control, he made some pretty tough decisions, some of which I agreed with and others I did not. I thought that the tandem of Nelsen and Payne had the right ideas and an achievable vision moving forward. Unfortunately I think his mouth got the best of him. If he had kept his mouth shut on the player addition front, I don't think we would be having this conversation right now. He was a respectable guy and best of luck to him in the future.

Initial B
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I'll miss Kevin Payne. Sure he had his faults, but he did try his hardest to make TFC respectable again and I salute him for it. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.

Oldtimer
09-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I was looking forward to Payne's completed roster in 2014, I think it would have been competitive.

Unfortunately, his strong ability to manage a roster on a budget was not appreciated by his new boss, who wants to make a big splash. I'm sure he'll find a good job somewhere else. As for TFC, whether it's good or bad will really depend on who is brought in.

ManUtd4ever
09-05-2013, 11:48 AM
He didn't get a fair shake here. I wish him well.

Yohan
09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I'll miss Kevin Payne. Sure he had his faults, but he did try his hardest to make TFC respectable again and I salute him for it. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.
KP did the hardest work, which was to get rid of the bad contracts and clear cap space. Although people mock him for it, the new GM has a bundle of allocation cash, plus this season's you sucked allocation money, and next season, the new GM has a lot of stuff to work with. Esp with Koevs not being re-signed, and Ecks being like only really bad contract left, but he's got 1 year left after this season and has every incentive to accept a new contract at a lower deal. (esp if TFC is working on getting Ecks Canadian permanent residency) So Eck's huge cap hit isn't ideal, but the rest of the roster has enough wiggle room that Eck's won't be as huge burden as start of the year.

Alonso
09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Same old, same old.

Hello, goodbye. Next.

All For One

Should be changed to:

Hello Goodbye NEXT!

miker
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
On balance, I'm okay with the move even if I'm not all that enamored of Lieweke and think the firing was too fast. I credit Payne with leaving a team that doesn't need to be blown up. We've got some decent core players, a terrific signing in Laba and an intriguing possibility in Urruti. We have cap space and we have one young DP and room to sign two more for next year - and we DON'T have three aging and injured DPs. Payne said too much but, still, we're in a much better position moving forward than I think we've ever been.

tiberius
09-05-2013, 04:35 PM
He is the best president we have ever had!:(

He did a world of good for our club in his short tenure. The likelihood of us landing a second straight shooting, transparent guy with his experience are pretty remote. I hope they shoveled tons of cash his way, as severance.

Thank you Kevin Payne.

Brooker
09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
All For One

Should be changed to:

Hello Goodbye NEXT!

That'd be a good TIFO. :D

Alonso
09-05-2013, 09:07 PM
That'd be a good TIFO. :D

Check my avatar.... it's a start!

SKB
09-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I met and talked to Kevin a number of times. A very likable guy and knowledgeable about football. The first professional president we had. He has left the club in good position to go to the next level. Thanks

[NBF]
09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/12/20/1356003001211/piggy-bank-with-iou-note-008.jpg

Kevin Payne pros:

- Spend money on players.
- Fired Paul Mariner.

Kevin Payne cons:

- Spent money on the wrong players.
- Hired Ryan Nelsen.
- Made himself a hands on Manager which ensured his exit.

**I dont think we know full well what the cost will be for bringing in Laba and Urruti. So dont proclaim them as starters for next season.**

Brooker
09-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Check my avatar.... it's a start!

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Robert-DeNiro-Laughing-Awards-Ceremony.gif

Damien
09-06-2013, 06:52 AM
He's the first GM/Pres to NOT leave us in a giant salary cap hole so for that I appreciate him.