PDA

View Full Version : MLS reportedly discussing reduced 28-game schedule

Miko
09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/09/03/mls-soccer-reduced-schedule/?sct=sc_t2_a3

Interesting.

Does answer the question of International fixtures but raises some others.

Would Season ticket prices go down next year?

Would MLSE try to add friendlies to increase revenue?

Phil
09-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't this make FIFA breaks and events like the World Cup easier to play around?

ag futbol
09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Interesting. Wondering if this has to do with the World Cup next year or is something they are thinking about in a more permanent sense. The one thing I read in there that makes sense is the home-away format for conference and one game against each out of conference team. That simplifies things a fair amount.

I'd be interested to see how they'd propose making up for a loss of revenue.

Initial B
09-04-2013, 11:25 AM
No way would season ticket prices go down. They would just stay the same. It's not like MLS teams get a lot of walk-up business.

Joe Kool
09-04-2013, 11:36 AM
No way would season ticket prices go down. They would just stay the same. It's not like MLS teams get a lot of walk-up business.

I disagree. I think they will still base their increase, if any, on a per game price so overall price would go down if we get 14 home games vs 18. They are not going to be able to justify a price hike at all considering where they are going to end up in this year's standings again. I could see them trying to add more friendlies though to increase revenue again.

mowe
09-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Not sure the owners would go for the reduction in revenues. The only benefit is better scheduling around international breaks right? I think they stay at 34.

Red Rat
09-04-2013, 12:07 PM
didn't they just announced a 24 team league!!!

PopePouri
09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Still possible.

1) Once NYCFC comes into the league, each team in the same conference plays each other home and away and then once in the other conference.
18 games same conference + 10 games different conference = 28 games

2) At 24 games, divide into 4 conferences of 6 teams. each team in the same conference plays each other home and away and then once in the other conference
10 games same conference + 18 games different conference = 28 games

__wowza
09-04-2013, 01:45 PM
i don't think they can do it without looking into the lost revenue of teams who bank on their gate.

you're basically saying "hey, remember the TV, merch, concession and sponsorship money you were bring in? yeah, well.. live without that for 1/5th of the season".

OgtheDim
09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
This sounds like somebody at USSF was wishfully thinking MLS would consider it and somebody took that up as actually considering.

The internet is like a giant game of telephone.

TOBOR !
09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Maybe this is to attract a TV deal.

Maybe there's an offer on the table, but only for certain conditions.

Could be that league games will move to the weekend only.

Maybe there'll be revamped continental tourneys to occupy Tue/Wed/Thu nights.

Perhaps expanded domestic tournaments will bump up the remainder of open dates.

Is this blue-skying or white-boarding ?