PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Convey

torfchamilton
08-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Didn't realize Convey was such a happy character but my 11 year old son was asking Convey for his jersey after the game tonight. He looked up at him and said, " Go to the "effin" club shop". I was quite surprised that a pro would respond to a child this way. I know they get harassed but no comment is much better than what he said.

Abou Sky
08-30-2013, 10:38 PM
That pisses me off because seriously, if you want to be an athlete certain things come with the territory, and one of them is getting 'harassed' by kids.

A friend who has served in the military once said 'I hate being thanked, it makes me really uncomfortable' and my answer was the same 'Suck it up buttercup, that comes with the job'

If you want to be a pro athlete, you have to take the good with the bad, don't like waking up early to travel? Don't like practicing in the blazing sun? Don't like people asking you for autographs etc? Go be an accountant.

Gilberto9
08-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Sounds full of himself haha not worth his salary and did shit all today

torfchamilton
08-30-2013, 11:04 PM
My kids have asked for jerseys in the past and all the players have been great before games and after. This was kind of surprising but you are right he didn't do too much today.

khso11
08-30-2013, 11:26 PM
this is absolutely shocking, I have never seen a TFC player this "cocky", he's no use on the field anyway, he's probably still getting his starting spot because of KP, if he could not take the pressure like a pro, then GTFO, no class, no respect!!!!!

Phil
08-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Thing to do is keep walking, not shoot off a comment like that. TFC are not at that level where they can blow anyone off or say that type of thing.

Disappointing to say the least.

Doucet3
08-31-2013, 03:04 AM
:/ fucking wow that's pretty fucked up, only defense I could imagine is maybe he thought it was a drunk guy heckling him combined with the bullshit call could of been frustration. Still he knows the kids are there, no excuse to be a fucking tosser

Red CB Toronto
08-31-2013, 03:36 AM
I saw at least three TFC players give away their jerseys on Friday night, to people in the crowd which i assume they were kids. A comment like that does surprise me but hey one moment most likely does reflect on who the player truly is but you never know. I have to say over the years those who have worn the TFC badge have been quite friendly and approachable for the most part. Some have had personalities that have been a little different and the language factor comes into play.

I personally have been collecting signed pictures of every player who has ever suited up for the Reds, that being all 162 of them as of right now, how crazy that may sound. I currently have 154 of 162. Also have the GMs, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches. During this process many of our Reds have liked the pics I have and on many occasions asked for copies which I was more than happy to provide. Now at the end of the season, a few of these players went as far to give me one of their jerseys to say thanks, which I cherish very much. I would hope that this was a one off situation for Bobby and all can just move on.

Derko
08-31-2013, 07:26 AM
I know it is no excuse, but, you ever had a bad day

cincy
08-31-2013, 08:28 AM
I saw at least three TFC players give away their jerseys on Friday night, to people in the crowd which i assume they were kids. A comment like that does surprise me but hey one moment most likely does reflect on who the player truly is but you never know. I have to say over the years those who have worn the TFC badge have been quite friendly and approachable for the most part. Some have had personalities that have been a little different and the language factor comes into play.

I personally have been collecting signed pictures of every player who has ever suited up for the Reds, that being all 162 of them as of right now, how crazy that may sound. I currently have 154 of 162. Also have the GMs, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches. During this process many of our Reds have liked the pics I have and on many occasions asked for copies which I was more than happy to provide. Now at the end of the season, a few of these players went as far to give me one of their jerseys to say thanks, which I cherish very much. I would hope that this was a one off situation for Bobby and all can just move on. Which one's are you missing ?

Brooker
08-31-2013, 08:29 AM
I know it is no excuse, but, you ever had a bad day

This ^

jloome
08-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Thing to do is keep walking, not shoot off a comment like that. TFC are not at that level where they can blow anyone off or say that type of thing.

Disappointing to say the least.

He's had a reputation as a dick for quite a while, allegedly being a locker room cancer in both San Jose and KC.

Maybe he's a little bipolar or something. Plus, if a guy's generally unhappy from depression or social inhibition, it sometimes manifests itself as rudeness.

Totally uncalled for, though. If I was the club and heard about that, I'd be asking him about it, gauging a reaction and keeping an eye. There really shouldn't be a "players that good get to say what they want" rule, but there is ... for players that good, not Bobby Convey.

69Chevy396
08-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Give the guy a break. He may have already promised the jersey to the president of his fan club.

ManUtd4ever
08-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Inexcusable behavior. If he said that to my son I would have torn him a new one on the spot. I think you should report the incident to TFC head office.

69Chevy396
08-31-2013, 09:27 AM

I personally have been collecting signed pictures of every player who has ever suited up for the Reds, that being all 162 of them as of right now, how crazy that may sound. I currently have 154 of 162. Also have the GMs, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches. During this process many of our Reds have liked the pics I have and on many occasions asked for copies which I was more than happy to provide. Now at the end of the season, a few of these players went as far to give me one of their jerseys to say thanks, which I cherish very much. I would hope that this was a one off situation for Bobby and all can just move on.
Did you get a photo of colin Samuels tearing his shorts?

jiforio
08-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Wow! I saw the young kids there, they must of been 5-7 years old (3 boys and a girl, very innocent). Left before the players came through the tunnel so I didn't hear if anything was said, but if something was said then it's COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! It would be most inappropriate to say that to any fan let alone a fan who doesn't even know what a gift shop is! Just lost all respect for Conway. I hope he finds a way to redeem, himself otherwise I say show him the door.

prizby
08-31-2013, 02:47 PM
sounds like a professional...professional d-bag

Richard
08-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Even a D-Bag like Brett Lawrie or J.P Arenibia wouldn't do that. I guess when no one cares to watch the team its acceptable. Could you imagine the outcry if one of the Jays did this haha. Anyways doesn't he have some form of medical condition? I heard about this but not sure what it is.

torfchamilton
08-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Just checked twitter and somebody had tweeted me

"a friend of mine was there and text me about it last night. #classless. I found this while looking to tweet convey myself"

burlington Red
09-02-2013, 08:02 PM
sounds bad, but not sure if this site should be allowed to air personal issues, there is no accountability.

Ivy
09-02-2013, 08:23 PM
sounds bad, but not sure if this site should be allowed to air personal issues, there is no accountability.
Bobby Convey acting like a d-bag isn't a personal issue... Me having a hard time getting used to the fact that I haven't seen Nelsen's sweater vest in a while is personal.

Marc"2L"
09-03-2013, 12:16 AM
If RN is looking for 6 players, there's a good chance Convey is going away, or finding less time.
So I look at it as chicken and the egg.

Was he a d-bag first? Has the moving given him something of a reputation?

Oblio2
09-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Convey can suck it......
You dont bite the hand that feeds you.

D-Bag

Jack
09-03-2013, 07:27 PM
What a prick.

Oranje
09-03-2013, 10:30 PM
His attitude is as shitty as his play

CFL
09-03-2013, 10:34 PM
What a prick.

for 8 years I've been reading these forums. Soccer moms and their kids have always been made fun of and generally not welcome @ BMO by the scarf poser set. It's amusing to me, that now, they are to be protected. Bobby's behaviour would have 36 months ago, lauded by the RPB. How things have changed. lol

werewolf
09-03-2013, 10:38 PM
for 8 years I've been reading these forums. Soccer moms and their kids have always been made fun of and generally not welcome @ BMO by the scarf poser set. It's amusing to me, that now, they are to be protected. Bobby's behaviour would have 36 months ago, lauded by the RPB. How things have changed. lol

That's an absolutely embarrassing post.

Yagbod
09-03-2013, 10:46 PM
This thread really serves no purpose now and is getting carried away. If true we can all agree he's being an ass. If we know the kids name send it to Phil or someone with contacts and lets get the kid an apology and a kit.

Richard
09-04-2013, 12:33 AM
My troll senses are tingling

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DFMkz-gqvLs/SdEY3ioPi-I/AAAAAAAAAYs/0mfzdXlaegg/s320/troll+1.jpg

Phil
09-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Okay Gino...no wait ummmm, Ralph right? NO? how about JoeyB or Toronto?

How many times do you have to come around here before you get the message we don't want you here. Please go troll another board, thanks.

Jack
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Actually, this is not accurate, Mr. Troll. Soccer moms and their kids have surely been the butt of jokes and some rants as many supporters don't agree with catering to them as the core market for MLS football. That said, RPB have always been about bringing kids into supporting TFC and we've sponsored kids and youth teams, as well as got RPB kids into the starting ceremonies at games. Helping kids get into the supporters culture surrounding TFC so they can grow up with the team and continue to improve the support is very important. The "soccer mom" stereotype is a bit tired, as it really refers to a mother who busts her ass to take her kids to as many matches and practices as possible. There is no question they have a place at the matches, but they're going to have to put up with some colourful language and behaviour in the south end. While in the US these people might seem like a good market for soccer, I think that going after the younger, support-minded people with more disposable income is probably a better route.

On a final note, there is no way in hell that RPB would be lauding Bobby's behaviour. Kids are very important to the support and the future of our team and we've always maintained that. Bobby Convey's remarks to that kid put him well over the line and he should be made aware of that. I think you're either completely clueless as to what RPB are about, or you're a troll. I'm leaning toward the latter, but I won't rule out the former, as you could just be a moron.

BuSaPuNk
09-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Caution don't feed the trolls.

Wow what a blanket statement against the people who's board your using. Pretty petty.

Convey if this is true is a douche. Lack of professionalism for sure.

Jack
09-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Caution don't feed the trolls.

Wow what a blanket statement against the people who's board your using. Pretty petty.

Convey if this is true is a douche. Lack of professionalism for sure.

Yeah, I probably didn't need to respond, especially since he was already banned g:D

Phil
09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
A lot of internet drama happening in this thread. Its pretty easy to contact the club and resolve the situation.

Jack
09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
A lot of internet drama happening in this thread. Its pretty easy to contact the club and resolve the situation.
That's not nearly as much fun as crucifying him online!