PDA

View Full Version : Nelson 2014-2015 season

Leedsoronto
08-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Looks like they like the guy. Good for him.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/leiweke-nelsen-will-be-tfcs-head-coach-in-2014/

Leedsoronto
08-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Looks like they like the guy. Good for him.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/leiweke-nelsen-will-be-tfcs-head-coach-in-2014/

One person, however, can sleep easy at night knowing Leiweke is in his corner. According to those at the meeting, Leiweke told supporters head coach Ryan Nelsen’s job is “100%” safe, giving him a glowing review.

69Chevy396
08-31-2013, 09:40 AM
One person, however, can sleep easy at night knowing Leiweke is in his corner. According to those at the meeting, Leiweke told supporters head coach Ryan Nelsen’s job is “100%” safe, giving him a glowing review.
I suppose this means Dichio will be looking for work somewhere else soon (i really dont undertandwhy he wasnt given the top job)

Yohan
08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
I suppose this means Dichio will be looking for work somewhere else soon (i really dont undertandwhy he wasnt given the top job)
Dichio isn't going anywhere. TFC is investing in him heavily. He's doing a coaching course with French FA

Ultra & Proud
08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
So in every thread you're complaining about having an inexperienced manager run our team but you want a slightly more experienced manager, at the Academy level only, get the job instead?

Leedsoronto
08-31-2013, 10:55 AM
The set up as it is is good IMO. We need stability within the club.

BuSaPuNk
08-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Dichio isn't going anywhere. TFC is investing in him heavily. He's doing a coaching course with French FA

I think there still grooming him to take the job. Getting experience with the academy team, getting his licensing.

TFC07
08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
I get the feeling Dichio might not want to become a manager for first team. Nelsen is a young guy, so if he improves next season as a manager, then we will probably see him managing TFC in the long term (or until KP retires). So I don't think we'll ever see Dichio running the show in the end.

v00d00daddy
08-31-2013, 12:05 PM
I think there still grooming him to take the job. Getting experience with the academy team, getting his licensing.

That's good to hear but it does beg the question:

How is Nelsen a better choice than Dichio would have been, considering Dichio is further ahead in every respect. (MLS experience, coaching experience, coaching training)

I think it's interesting that Nelsen got the vote of confidence from TL. On the surface it gives the appearance of stability. That being said, how often is the unequivocal vote of confidence actually a death knell?

Wasn't one of the first things Payne said after his appointment: Mariner would remain coach? LOL

Richard
08-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Lets please not give Dichio the job. I love the guy but TFC is still in flux, for his sake it would be better if we kept him in his current position for a few years. He wouldnt get a fair shot, we know the coaching position here is like a carear killer. Untill that changes he needs to be groomed further.

v00d00daddy
08-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Lets please not give Dichio the job. I love the guy but TFC is still in flux, for his sake it would be better if we kept him in his current position for a few years. He wouldnt get a fair shot, we know the coaching position here is like a carear killer. Untill that changes he needs to be groomed further.

Oh I'm not suggesting firing Nelsen and hiring Dichio. I think Nelsen should be allowed another off season and transfer window to see how he does with more talent.

I just find it weird, in retrospect, that they hired a player with no experience coaching when they had one already further along in their ranks. Hadn't thought of that before.

69Chevy396
08-31-2013, 05:32 PM
So in every thread you're complaining about having an inexperienced manager run our team but you want a slightly more experienced manager, at the Academy level only, get the job instead?
U may have missed the point, and others in this thread have explained it better than I did. If they were interested in zero experience where does that leave Dichio in the scheme of things? What did Dichio do that prevented his promotion given the guy they picked has less experience than a mail man? And, what will the new standard of competence be now? Early in the season when we gave up so many last minute goals a proven manager may have been the difference. Personally, I think Payne hired Nelsen as a buffer, a fall guy during a season he knew would be a disaster. If the team improves in the near term, great, the risk paid off. If the team sucks through October, and possibly march and April, Nelsen will be the sacrificial lamb. And Payne can continue to smoke cigars with his buddies in the head office.

West220Side
08-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Since everybody is talking about Dichio in a thread titled Nelsen I guess i'll get my two cents in.

Dichio may never get the "big job" incharge of the senior team, or he might in a few years when Nelsen ends up managing Ipswitch, who knows.
What's realistic? Dichio is a club legend, and loves the city, and the country, we know that much, one of his children was born here, am I wrong in saying he also got his citizenship? He's incharge of the senior team at the academy one of the best facilities in the world, with a team of promising kids that come from all around the world because of Toronto's diverse nature all at his disposal for the picking. Maybe he would be happy enjoying his life in Toronto in a steady job with the Academy for years to come, with amazing facilities, with a young academy side that now travel the world in youth tournaments with the likes of Ajax and Barcelona. Hell, what if Thomas Rongen leaves some day? With Payne gone there goes his DC connection, maybe in a few years Rongen moves on (he is older) and Dichio gets full control of the academy after all his licensing, and years of experience.

Ultra & Proud
08-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Dichio is further ahead in every respect. (MLS experience, coaching experience, coaching training)

MLS experience? No, 1.5 years Dichio to 5 years Nelsen. Coaching experience. Yes, 2 years academy coaching Dichio to straight from the prem Nelsen. Training, who cares? Lots of shit coaches have all the badges (like our last one) but does it mean they are better or better prepared for the job? I look at Mariner and say that experience and badges, which he had more of than Dichio and Nelsen combined, mean nothing in the big picture. Sometimes rolling the dice like RSL did with Kreis, DC did with Olsen, or Montreal did at first with Marsh are worth the risk instead of hitting up a retread. Especially with a young, growing team.

v00d00daddy
09-01-2013, 07:12 AM
MLS experience? No, 1.5 years Dichio to 5 years Nelsen. Coaching experience. Yes, 2 years academy coaching Dichio to straight from the prem Nelsen. Training, who cares? Lots of shit coaches have all the badges (like our last one) but does it mean they are better or better prepared for the job? I look at Mariner and say that experience and badges, which he had more of than Dichio and Nelsen combined, mean nothing in the big picture. Sometimes rolling the dice like RSL did with Kreis, DC did with Olsen, or Montreal did at first with Marsh are worth the risk instead of hitting up a retread. Especially with a young, growing team.

Nelsen's years in MLS were before TFC even had a franchise. Dichio played more recently and has been around the league more recently, and longer.

And I understand rolling the dice. I hope it works out. I'm just curious that Dichio never seemed to be an option.

Dichio could have been the die that was rolled and he would have been more qualified in every way. But it is what it is. Nelsen is here and it sounds as if he'll be here next year too. I look forward to seeing him improve with his player selection and tactics. I think the roster has gotten better but has not yet been used well enough to produce results.

Richard
09-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Who is to say Dichio wanted the job? Do you think he would want to dive right into this mess? Maybe not. My bet is he probably didn't want the job in the first place, Payne reviewed him as an option but went with Nelson who he is much more familiar with.

goodyear
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
When Payne came in he must have known who his coach would be. No one at TFC at the time Payne came in was an option for the job. Anyone there at the time was LUCKY to just keep their job.