PDA

View Full Version : OK - Where'd everyone go???

backbeat
08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
What happened?

Actually it was good therapy even though I kept looking...I need the break - although i saw a lot of snakes and spiders, it was horrible....

:drinking:

Carts
08-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Mark Zuckerberg's little website got more of my time...

But I admit to checking here every, 2 or maybe 3 seconds to see if we were back online lol

Phil
08-28-2013, 08:35 PM
I looked at twitter a lot....and was ascared.

Joe Kool
08-28-2013, 10:26 PM
I actually dropped by the U-Sector board for the first time. I didn't last too long. The first thread I went to was the player speculation thread they had. The latest page they had going on that thread was all about bashing the RPB board and the people on it. Joking how they want to take it down by crashing a server among other immature talk. It was real interesting to read how much some U-Sec guys put us down. I lost any respect I had for them. I have been on this board a long time and have yet to see a bashing of another supporter group in any thread that was tolerated at all. I guess when you are jealous you lash out. Sincerest form of flattery? Maybe they should be discussing why 113 is a ghost town compared to 112 instead. Glad to be back with you RPB.

CBTFC
08-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Yep, not gonna lie...was checking this 2-3 times a day to see what was up.

So what WAS up?

TOBOR !
08-28-2013, 10:39 PM
*yawn*

STREEEEEEEETTTTTTTTCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

'mornin...

Red CB Toronto
08-28-2013, 10:48 PM
I was preoccupied with the American Outlaws capo shit storm that has been going on over the last few days leading into the USA Mexico game in Columbus, man were people getting angry. It was getting insane. A lot of back tracking going on. http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2013/08/28/4218661/seattle-fans-to-be-given-lead-role-in-us-supporters-groups?ICID=HP_BN_1 http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/28/american-outlaws-and-us-soccer-federation-quash-reports-seattle-takeover-usm

backbeat
08-28-2013, 10:57 PM
I actually dropped by the U-Sector board for the first time. I didn't last too long. The first thread I went to was the player speculation thread they had. The latest page they had going on that thread was all about bashing the RPB board and the people on it. Joking how they want to take it down by crashing a server among other immature talk. It was real interesting to read how much some U-Sec guys put us down. I lost any respect I had for them. I have been on this board a long time and have yet to see a bashing of another supporter group in any thread that was tolerated at all. I guess when you are jealous you lash out. Sincerest form of flattery? Maybe they should be discussing why 113 is a ghost town compared to 112 instead. Glad to be back with you RPB.

yeah i saw that over at the u-sector boards as well - what's that all about??

i mean i'm not even an official member of RPB but i thought it was more than juvenile and mean spirited to say the least - now i know why i visit here instead - also the forum layout is much more conducive and user friendly

anyhow, glad it's back...

jloome
08-29-2013, 12:53 AM

i mean i'm not even an official member of RPB but i thought it was more than juvenile and mean spirited to say the least - now i know why i visit here instead - also the forum layout is much more conducive and user friendly

Charming.

Glad the board is back, thanks gents.

EDIT: I just read the thread. Fairly disappointing and quite inaccurate, which I'd expect better from some of the guys on there. The period most of them are referring to was a short window on either side of the Winter debacle and the boards here have been quite well policed ever since.

Leedsoronto
08-29-2013, 05:58 AM
How long for this time? Get a comment in quick before it disappears. :@)

Shakes McQueen
08-29-2013, 06:13 AM

I'm used to RPB being slagged by anyone who isn't RPB. They can say what they want.

I consider it to be to our credit that we largely a) ignore it, and b) don't engage in it ourselves. Also worth noting that some of the people who slag us, are ex-members who were banned from here - and then brag about how proud they are that they don't come here any more.

- Scott

BuSaPuNk
08-29-2013, 06:20 AM
I'm used to RPB being slagged by anyone who isn't RPB. They can say what they want.

I consider it to be to our credit that we largely a) ignore it, and b) don't engage in it ourselves. Also worth noting that some of the people who slag us, are ex-members who were banned from here - and then brag about how proud they are that they don't come here any more.

- Scott

Agree with this. Sad state of affairs but it's mostly just people pushing there own personal agenda's around this. This is a big reason why the southend will never be completely unified. Unfortunate the situation but I think eventually we have to start working with U-Sector and coming with a consensus that we need to work together to bring us back to what we had and where we could go.

Shakes McQueen
08-29-2013, 06:55 AM
It's just personal politics and gripes that I, frankly, have little interest in.

All of the TFC SGs, at the end of the day, are supposed to be about a common cause, even if we all go about it differently. People who do nothing but complain about what other SGs are doing, have forgotten that. And that is why unifying on things can be difficult.

People can say whatever the want about us. I've got a job, and a life, and I have no time for losing sleep over how non-members talk about us on the internet.

- Scott

tfcleeds
08-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Meh, could care less about U-Sec say on their own boards. From what I can tell, the core is just a small group of folks who've known each other for years, even pre-2007, who from what I can tell, are perfectly content with keeping their little social circle as it is. If there was no TFC, they'd be just as happy spending their Saturdays at Lamport or Centennial or wherever it is the Lynx play these days. I have no real issues with them. I watch away games with them at the Duke sometimes - a few of them are good for a few laughs anyway.

T-boy
08-29-2013, 07:17 AM
It's really unfortunate, as I've said before, until we (all the supporters and supporters groups) are all on the same page, we won't be take quite as seriously by the club. There is power in numbers, and the more people we can get going in the same direction without any infighting, the better for ALL supporters. We all support the same team, we all want the same thing, why can't the supporters groups all be one entity and have power in numbers? :( One supporters group with 1000 members would have a hell of a lot more influence than two clubs with 500 members each.

Phil
08-29-2013, 07:51 AM
There are always a few people who jump on the internet and stir the pot. Last year there were a few guys that were here that said some pretty crazy stuff over there.

Bottom line is, the majority of them are good people who love this team as much as we do. Lets not make issues about the differences between the supporters groups but rather lets focus on the common things that bond us all together.

Initial B
08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
So I'm still in the dark - what happened that cause the server outage over the last couple of days? I didn't realize how much I actually check on here until it was gone. I don't want to have to go through that withdrawl again.

T-boy
08-29-2013, 09:37 AM
All the RPB's collectively hitting F5 at the same time broke the interwebs!

tfcleeds
08-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Funny - I was still able to get on the last couple of days. Took a bit longer than usual, but could still get on.

Voodooman
08-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Lucky you!!

I couldn't get in, and my work day felt incomplete by not having the forums on my 2nd screen

Phil
08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
With all the server moves and whatnot our domain renewal didn't transiton so well. In effect our DNS took a vacation. Direct IP would work fine if we had it. It shows how lazy I am because I just use the rpb dns.

tfcleeds
08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Lucky you!! I couldn't get in, and my work day felt incomplete by not having the forums on my 2nd screenWell, I could get access, but with no one else on, there was no point in sticking around very long! (oh, and I used direct IP, so maybe that's why I was able to)

Pint
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
I was able to do something I hadn't even able to do for months.... Be productive at work.

Thankfully that is over

ManUtd4ever
08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
http://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/internet_addict.jpg (http://madmikesamerica.com/2011/07/internet-withdrawal-similar-to-giving-up-smoking/)

jloome
08-29-2013, 11:37 AM
I was able to do something I hadn't even able to do for months.... Be productive at work. Thankfully that is over If it's rerouted to a new IP, it's still not working in Western Canada. But the IP directly works fine.

ag futbol
08-29-2013, 01:52 PM
I was so productive for that last week it was insane

well... so much for that.

Ivy
08-29-2013, 08:53 PM
If it's rerouted to a new IP, it's still not working in Western Canada. But the IP directly works fine.
Now THAT, is dedication. You lost me at "rerouted".

Cashcleaner
08-29-2013, 11:54 PM

There's always a few like that in every crowd. Actually, U-Sector and RPB used to have a very hostile relationship during the earlier years of TFC. Looking back at it now, it's actually kinda embarrassing, but nowadays things are much better between the groups. It's kinda hard to keep any real animosity with people when you're sharing a bus seat with on a four-hour tip to Montreal.

Yagbod
08-30-2013, 12:20 AM
I can't seem to 'quote' anyone on the mobile site.

Anyway, Phil's quote about focusing on what unites us needs to be read again. The Internet warrior nonsense is what keeps the south end divided. Turn the other cheek, and all that. Focus on face to face. In person, at the games nobody says the shit you read on the boards. We all want the same thing.

Phil's post again:

"There are always a few people who jump on the internet and stir the pot. Last year there were a few guys that were here that said some pretty crazy stuff over there.

Bottom line is, the majority of them are good people who love this team as much as we do. Lets not make issues about the differences between the supporters groups but rather lets focus on the common things that bond us all together."

Well put.

-Chris
SG111

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2013, 05:48 AM
I can't seem to 'quote' anyone on the mobile site.

Anyway, Phil's quote about focusing on what unites us needs to be read again. The Internet warrior nonsense is what keeps the south end divided. Turn the other cheek, and all that. Focus on face to face. In person, at the games nobody says the shit you read on the boards. We all want the same thing.

Phil's post again:

"There are always a few people who jump on the internet and stir the pot. Last year there were a few guys that were here that said some pretty crazy stuff over there.

Bottom line is, the majority of them are good people who love this team as much as we do. Lets not make issues about the differences between the supporters groups but rather lets focus on the common things that bond us all together."

Well put.

-Chris
SG111

Couldn't agree more, though people need to step up more and own what they (and their groupmates) say on the internet. The fact that people are unwilling to hurl the same snipes and insults in person, isn't a point in their favour. Calls for unity ring hollow, when a person spends part of their time viciously insulting another group on the internet, or allows fellow members to, without reprimand or disavowals.

But as Phil says, these people are far from the majority, and it's important to keep that in mind at all times. Otherwise you get sucked into a vortex of group politics. Most people just want to have a beer, watch some soccer, sing some songs, and talk about their team.

- Scott

GlenM
08-30-2013, 06:22 AM
IMO I believe we need to reunify all the supporters groups.

There seems to be alot of supporter group disconnect.

I agree each should have it's own identity, however it should be all about the team not what the management is currently doing to sign players etc.

Everyone wants a winner believe me.

I remember back when this all started the enthusiam, energy and support were really good.

Now were all banging heads because we don't agree with the state of the team.

Yes, agreed we haven't made the playoffs etc.

Things will come in due time.

There definitely should be accountability, but we should just continue to support the team the best way we can.

Everything else will fall into place in due time.

Building a winner starts with a culture from the ground up.

Look at alot of the successful teams, there culture, mentality, support is constant with winning.

GlenM

jloome
08-30-2013, 11:35 AM
IMO I believe we need to reunify all the supporters groups.

I've never had the impression they were unified to begin with, not as a general rule. U-sector dates back to the Lynx. RPB was a new group for TFC; that's where the divide comes in.

ag futbol
08-30-2013, 11:50 AM
@ yagbod - I have same problem with mobile. The buttons normally under the posts are gone. Not able to quote or edit

GlenM
08-31-2013, 06:29 PM
I've never had the impression they were unified to begin with, not as a general rule. U-sector dates back to the Lynx. RPB was a new group for TFC; that's where the divide comes in.

I didn't realize that USector was a group before TFC.

Yes, agreed.

There's a divide.

GlenM

Yagbod
09-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Who cares if there is a divide or what people on their board say? No disrespect to U-Sector intended but they do not bring much to the table anymore. There are groups in 127 and 111 bringing a lot more. Lets focus on building relationships with active supporters rather than focusing on the negatives from a section that isn't much different from the half dozen sections to the west of them. It's history now.

Leedsoronto
10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
HORRAY !!!!!!

:@)

Fingers crossed

phonzo
10-04-2013, 03:51 AM
It should be back up for now. Props to a lot of guys that worked hard behind the scenes; a lot of headaches were had and the timing couldn't have been worse.

We we will try to share some details when we can...

tfcmanu
10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
WoW did'nt realize how much I missed this site.

eustacchio
10-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Well, so much for my recently enhanced productivity rates.

bones
10-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Since we're going full steam ahead back on the old site I have removed the temporary site so there is no confusion. Don't worry about any lingering accounts, I cleaned up real good before I deleted the whole thing boys and girls :)

Bones...

Mark in Ottawa
10-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Where did I go?? Well ... nowhere ... I was still here in the footy wilderness but things have been looking up.

Our NASL franchise is forming up nicely and the stadium construction is on schedule.
The small supporters group we had has split & morphed into 3 supporters groups and the Ottawa Fury FC have been hosting meet & greets to give us all a chance to get to know one another from both the franchise and supporter sides of things.

We have a M&G on Oct. 24th at which we expect the team will unveil its inaugural kit.

On the TFC front ... I have been following the "soap opera that is" and wondering what will be next.

Richard
10-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Question regarding passwords, were they in any shape compromised? I assume you would have informed us if this was the case.

SweetOwnGoal
10-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Are you familiar with the concept of irony?

Phil
10-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Question regarding passwords, were they in any shape compromised? I assume you would have informed us if this was the case.

I don't think so. All the admins had to change passwords as that is the only ones that can make structural changes to the DB. However its always a good idea to cycle and or change them often, especially after a compromise. You can never be too safe.

Fort York Redcoat
10-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Since we're going full steam ahead back on the old site I have removed the temporary site so there is no confusion. Don't worry about any lingering accounts, I cleaned up real good before I deleted the whole thing boys and girls :)

Bones...

And the usual proper rewards will be given to the most frequent poster I assume?

IS MY NO-PRIZE IN THE MAIL????????

mowe
10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
God damn I missed this site. I tried looking for other places for TFC discussion but couldn't find anything good.

It went down at the WORST time too. Just think of how epic the Urruti traded thread would've been.

TFC continues to be TFC.

JayMolly
10-04-2013, 06:45 PM
God damn I missed this site. I tried looking for other places for TFC discussion but couldn't find anything good.

It went down at the WORST time too. Just think of how epic the Urruti traded thread would've been.

TFC continues to be TFC.

We agree. Thank goodness the RPB Forum is up and running again!

Many things to discuss even though there are only three games to go.

We will watch TFC in Philadelphia and pvr the Leaf home opener. GO TFC GO!

NolbertoS
10-05-2013, 01:21 AM
So anybody have a cliffnotes on what happened?? And did the admins make provisions in case another disgruntled MLSE staff tried to hack the site for good??

Initial B
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Wow I missed this site. Gald it's back. What happened?

Shakes McQueen
10-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Wow I missed this site. Gald it's back. What happened?

My understanding: Several forum sites running a certain version of vBulletin were hacked, almost at random, by a group of Indian/Pakistani hackers. Probably just because they could.

My initial assumption was that someone with a beef hacked us, but it appears that was wrong.

- Scott

DOMIN8R
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I offer my heartfelt thanks to those who worked or volunteered to get it back up. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

For whatever the reasons, I hope that we have taken steps to mitigate the risk of downtime in the future. If it is deemed to risky to continue to use the existing bulletin board platform, I hope that we can explore alternatives - even if that means higher operating costs which translates into higher membership dues.

Thanks again!

Shakes McQueen
10-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I offer my heartfelt thanks to those who worked or volunteered to get it back up. We owe you a debt of gratitude.

For whatever the reasons, I hope that we have taken steps to mitigate the risk of downtime in the future. If it is deemed to risky to continue to use the existing bulletin board platform, I hope that we can explore alternatives - even if that means higher operating costs which translates into higher membership dues.

Thanks again!

I believe the hack was due to us using an outdated version of the vBulletin software. The up-to-date software doesn't have the same vulnerability.

- Scott

bones
10-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks again!

There is an up coming Exec meeting to discuss things like this going forward.

Steps have been taken to prevent the same exploit from being used to compromise the database again. This exploit was also used for hundreds and hundreds of vB sites out on the interwebs. There is more work that needs to be done in the future and I will bring it up in the meeting to make sure decisions that the Execs make are based on all the info and experience we have available.

Bones...

bones
10-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I believe the hack was due to us using an outdated version of the vBulletin software. The up-to-date software doesn't have the same vulnerability.

- Scott

The exploit existed in almost all versions of vB unfortunately. As a fix one of the recommendations is to upgrade to a newer version to make sure that after being hacked that the hacker didn't corrupt any files outside of the DB. By upgrading, you basically replace all the basic files used by vB. The key is to remove any and all files in a specific folder AFTER the upgrade.

Bones...

Cashcleaner
10-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Any thoughts for maybe having a backup board in case the primary gets compromised again?

Phil
10-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Any thoughts for maybe having a backup board in case the primary gets compromised again?
We did that with a free one, but it would be hard to manage two boards at once. It means twice the work and opens us up to confusion.

We have identified a new group of guys in Chris and bones that have the specific skills needed after having a few guys take a step back and others were tied up in real life work / overseas holidays. If anyone has skills or expertise on forum software / database stuff please PM me so if there is anything in the future we need we can escalate it more efficiently.