PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what the reaction would be if someone from TFC wrote such an editorial?

Red CB Toronto
08-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Not something you see everyday, a editorial the pr guy for Chicago wrote and posted on the Fire website. I wonder how long it will last before getting taken down if such an action is taken. It also makes me wonder what the reaction would be if such a piece ever came out of the TFC camp?

http://www.chicago-fire.com/blog/post/2013/08/21/editorial-what-it-means-be-part-fire-family

spark
08-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Haha wow, I've read it a few times now and still can't get over it. So many levels and layers to this I don't know where to begin!

Do love the comments from Crew and DC fans applauding the post hahahaha.

Dreadlocks
08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
I see nothing wrong with it and can see no reason for it to be taken down. It sounds like a nice way of telling the bad, so called supporters, to get a life. Express your displeasure but be mindful of your delivery. He is simply sticking up for his (Fire) family against abusive over the top followers. I think that a message like this could be sent out to every fan in the WORLD - regardless of the sport.

But then again, maybe I skim read the blog way too fast and missed the point!

Technorgasm
08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
probably the same reaction as the folks who had a Cronut at CNE.

burlington Red
08-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Great article, cheers for posting.
Not sure what my opinion is to be honest. In one sense it could be seen as an incredibly naive post that could alienate fans, on the other hand it could be seen as a very proactive approach to dealing with negativity surrounding club/owner/ unruly fans.
I guess the reaction of Chicago fans in coming days will probably answer my question.
Perhaps this types of rallying calls are best made by people at club with great stature. I recall in past at United, people such as Fergie and Keane having a pop at fans, but they did so from positions of high esteem within fan base. Sounds like this guy isn't really held in too high esteem at his club.

Initial B
08-22-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't have any problem with the blog post either. I think it took a lot of courage to put it out there and call a spade a spade.

Richard
08-22-2013, 11:43 AM
The truth hurts and ya gotta call out the bullshit sooner or later. Good for him on making the article.

OgtheDim
08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Should have left his personal feelings about how people have perceived his own hire out of it.

Call the spade a spade, but don't whine about how people don't respect you before you do that.

ag futbol
08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
The truth hurts and ya gotta call out the bullshit sooner or later. Good for him on making the article.
I'd say it's a fine line.

On the one hand, he seems to be calling the bluff of people who feel their behavior can't be held to even a minimum standard. On the other, I'm not sure of too many environments where such actions from a communication director would be accepted. I've worked in some client focused businesses where the customers at times treated us really, really, badly. Writing an open letter like this guy did would be a straight ticket for a pink slip. Why? Well because you don't attack the people who are your revenue stream, even if you qualify it by saying it's only a segment of them. If you want to deal with your customers animosity you have to fully and completely look at things from their perspective. His very generic story of poor results but an owner / front office that tries really hard falls woefully short in addressing the concerns of the fan base.

Basically, yes fans should hold themselves to a higher standard but communication directors should know better than to publish such crap.

jloome
08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Not something you see everyday, a editorial the pr guy for Chicago wrote and posted on the Fire website. I wonder how long it will last before getting taken down if such an action is taken. It also makes me wonder what the reaction would be if such a piece ever came out of the TFC camp?

http://www.chicago-fire.com/blog/post/2013/08/21/editorial-what-it-means-be-part-fire-family

Wow, what a vile twit. Anyone who thinks that post is likely accurate or reflective of their fan base should give their head a shake.

Marc"2L"
08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Wow, what a vile twit. Anyone who thinks that post is likely accurate or reflective of their fan base should give their head a shake.

The opening screams the truth.

He's a younger guy (so he felt the need to drop that he has a wife) who's "in with it" (why the man tells him he needs to shave) and coming off like a kid fresh out of grade school.

Detroit_TFC
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Not to go all tin foil but I wonder if the dude is speaking for higher ups who wanted to get something off their chest. No way a Comm Dir just decides to put a personal statement on a club website without the GM or president's ok.

TFC_Allez
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Reading the comments after the post was more interesting than reading the article itself lol. I'll give it to the guy, he's got a set of stones on him to post an article of that type on the Fire home page with some colourful language.

To be perfectly honest, his general message will do absolutely nothing to change whatever is wrong with the "supporters culture" in Chicago...if anything, his comments will make things worse.

Mr. Bigby
08-22-2013, 01:12 PM
While I question the wisdom of posting the article, I can certainly understand the feelings behind it. I get absolutely livid over some of the loud, foul mouthed idiots seated behind the TFC bench who scream obcenities at TFC players and staff. It's part of the unattactive side of supporter culture, and from time to time, these Yobs need to be called on it. We've seen the same thing on these message boards, and it's taken up a lot of time and effort on the part of the moderators to clean things up to the point where reasonable people feel comfortable.

From an ownership point of view it's a tough balancing act to weigh the interests of 'supporter culture' (with all of the different itterations therein) with the interests and wants of the 'family' fanbase and the desire to attract and convert the 'casual' attendee. No matter what the team does, it seems, they will inevitably piss off some sector of their prospective clientele.

TOBOR !
08-22-2013, 01:53 PM
all I got out of that was

http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2011/07/dawson-crying.jpg

rowjimi
08-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Not to go all tin foil but I wonder if the dude is speaking for higher ups who wanted to get something off their chest. No way a Comm Dir just decides to put a personal statement on a club website without the GM or president's ok.

We have heard of some teams cracking down on the language and general bad behavior. Perhaps they are laying the groundwork to cleaning some things up. My other thought was the guy wanted to move back to Detroit and this was a good way to accomplish that. :o

JonO
08-22-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't have a problem with it. I may have skimmed past it, but it seems quite clear to me that it is addressed to a vocal minority. He praises section 8 a number of times, so it is clearly not directed at the supporters in general.

Red CB Toronto
08-22-2013, 07:10 PM
It looks like it was done with a plan even if readers did not see it the way it was intended.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/22/chicago-fire-defend-provocative-editorial-club-website-despite-fans-outrage

69Chevy396
08-22-2013, 09:03 PM
probably the same reaction as the folks who had a Cronut at CNE.
Like that poor mook who shat himself running for a streetcar

tfcleeds
08-23-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm sure this guy will win even more points by admitting to Chicago fans that he's a die-hard Lions fan. Sorry, but this guy just sounds totally naive.

ensco
08-23-2013, 06:45 AM
If people want free speech (ie the ability to call people out) then they had better expect some of those people that get called out to return the fire. Getting all huffy about it seems thin skinned, to me.

eustacchio
08-23-2013, 08:57 AM
It looks like it was done with a plan even if readers did not see it the way it was intended.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/22/chicago-fire-defend-provocative-editorial-club-website-despite-fans-outrage

Nothing like your director of communications being surprised about the way his message was received.

Perhaps your communication skills need to be improved.

Seems like a sign that he was a "shitty hire" to me.

Detroit_TFC
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Lobring was on Jason Davis's show Soccer Morning today, just caught the end of it. Wild.

They are supposed to have a link for just the Lobring segment but it's not up yet. Here's the shows website: http://nasn.tv/category/shows/american-soccer-morning/

Edit: here's the link to the segment
http://nasn.tv/2013/soccer-morning-chicago-fire-special-with-communications-director-dan-lobring/