PDA

View Full Version : TFC mentality

backbeat
08-21-2013, 01:33 PM
i like this Jose Mourinho quote for today's Chelsea v Villa match - i wish we could develop that culture to keep driving - whenever, and it's been rare i know of late, we get up by one we seem to sit back. i'd love to see our teams play with this mentality.

"We want to win matches, but what I like is that when you have the chance to destroy to beat them by three, four, or five, we have to do it. If someone has the chance to do it to you, they will not forgive you, they will give you nothing.
"If someone feels that they can do it to us they will do it - when you are in trouble, they smash you - so if we have the chance to do it, we have to do it. That is football."

TFC07
08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
i like this Jose Mourinho quote for today's Chelsea v Villa match - i wish we could develop that culture to keep driving - whenever, and it's been rare i know of late, we get up by one we seem to sit back. i'd love to see our teams play with this mentality.

"We want to win matches, but what I like is that when you have the chance to destroy to beat them by three, four, or five, we have to do it. If someone has the chance to do it to you, they will not forgive you, they will give you nothing.
"If someone feels that they can do it to us they will do it - when you are in trouble, they smash you - so if we have the chance to do it, we have to do it. That is football."

Winning culture is a foreign concept in this city. lol

Can't wait the day when we're consistently thrashing other teams and finally playing/feeling like a big club that other teams fear to play against us. :)

Joe Kool
08-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Winning culture is a foreign concept in this city. lol

Can't wait the day when we're consistently thrashing other teams and finally playing/feeling like a big club that other teams fear to play against us. :)

Teams being scared to play us is part of the plan luckily according to our coach. We will be there soon. I am sure we are only 3-4 players away...LOL

backbeat
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Teams being scared to play us is part of the plan luckily according to our coach. We will be there soon. I am sure we are only 3-4 players away...LOL

maybe '3 to 4 players away' should be on our shirts instead of 'all for one' g:D

miker
08-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Easy to say when you've just been coaching Real Madrid.

OgtheDim
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM
The first time Mourinho ever took the approach of winning by more then 2 is when he was at Real.

Before that, he was the master of the 2-0 possession shell.

burlington Red
08-21-2013, 03:30 PM
funny thing re Mourinho quote is that is what he has been criticised in the past for, going 1 or 2 up and shutting up shop, in fact, Chelsea were guilty of it on Sunday v Hull. They took the foot of the gas big time in 2nd half of a game they were dominating.
Anyway, yes good quote and is a good philosophy, maybe Jose oneday might actually practice what he preaches lol

HuTor
08-24-2013, 05:33 PM
maybe '3 to 4 players away' should be on our shirts instead of 'all for one' g:D

Post of the season!!!

T-boy
08-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Making a comparison to almost any MLS team and an EPL game/team is not a comparable, IMO. The quality all over the pitch in the EPL compared to the MLS is uncomparable. You can have the "winning mentality" all you want in the MLS, but if you don't have a field full of internationals, it means nothing.

Fushida
08-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Making a comparison to almost any MLS team and an EPL game/team is not a comparable, IMO. The quality all over the pitch in the EPL compared to the MLS is uncomparable. You can have the "winning mentality" all you want in the MLS, but if you don't have a field full of internationals, it means nothing.

How does mentality have anything to do with the quality of players? You can have a shit team go on the field with the mentality to go for a win. But we seem to be happier giving a leaving loanee a respectful sendoff instead of playing the best line up.

Richard
08-25-2013, 12:09 AM
^ It is worrisome, and on top of that TFC has expressed interest in paying a fee for Brockie. Kind of dumb considering he hasn't showed much in real games which are not a trial.

Shakes McQueen
08-25-2013, 12:18 AM
A top EPL team manager's insightful platitudes on winning culture, don't really mean much to us. Good players and a good plan, create a "winning culture" that players want to buy into.

- Scott

T-boy
08-25-2013, 08:13 AM
How does mentality have anything to do with the quality of players? You can have a shit team go on the field with the mentality to go for a win. But we seem to be happier giving a leaving loanee a respectful sendoff instead of playing the best line up.

We can argue all we want if Earnshaw or Urruti should have been playing in place of Brockie, but we don't see what's happening behind the scenes or in training. For all we know, Brockie could be consistently better in training that both the other options, or Urruti could be taking time settling into his new league/team/country/home/culture etc.

Fushida
08-25-2013, 09:17 AM
We can argue all we want if Earnshaw or Urruti should have been playing in place of Brockie, but we don't see what's happening behind the scenes or in training. For all we know, Brockie could be consistently better in training that both the other options, or Urruti could be taking time settling into his new league/team/country/home/culture etc.

You're making as much of an assumption as I am, given that you don't know either. The point was that just because we're not in the EPL doesn't mean we can't talk about having the same "mentality". A winning "mentality" applies regardless of league, and to me it hasn't been demonstrated here, especially yesterday, unless we're thinking of bringing Brockie back immediately.

OgtheDim
08-25-2013, 09:47 AM
The EPL's winning mentality comes because the consequences for not winning are immediate.....lose 5 games in a row and a manager is dropped.

Its an apples to oranges comparison.

This year was always going to be a training and development year. A winning attitude will happen once we have the pieces in place, including the back ups.

We are not there yet, nor will we be until after the summer 2014 signing season.

What I see this season is a competing attitude, something lacking for a long time.

I expect to see an attitude about winning in 2015.

That's what happens when you constantly chop and change personnel and coaches for 7 years and throw away draft picks and give huge contracts to the latest decent enough player.

Huyton
08-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Brockie, prior to last night's game, had played about a thousand minutes and had one goal and three assists to show for it. The only reason I can think for him being on the field was because they were worried about an injury, and Brockie was a possible sacrifice.

Fushida
08-25-2013, 10:41 AM
People harp on winning attitude coming with a winning team. How do you win consistently without a winning mentality to begin with?! You think a generous sendoff for a mediocre loanee is setting a good example for this team being perceived as one that wants to win? Or does it look more like something "nice" organization that rewards you for menial things like trying hard with no results? No doubt getting the right players is important, but it's irrelevant to a winning mentality, where you have to go out to each game showing that you're doing something to promote the best chances of winning - now or in the future. Unless Brockie is going to be part of that future, him getting playing time was meaningless yesterday.

moralis
08-25-2013, 10:57 AM
It's a losing mentality. Losing breads losing. Who on this has been a winner? So much for the culture change Payne was talking about at the start of the season. It's all BS

jloome
08-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Brockie, prior to last night's game, had played about a thousand minutes and had one goal and three assists to show for it. The only reason I can think for him being on the field was because they were worried about an injury, and Brockie was a possible sacrifice.

He's a winger, not a striker. That's what he plays for Wellington, as a wide forward in a 433. They're playing him out of position which doesn't play to his strength. Watch all the highlights from his 16-goal season last year and you'll see most of the goals came from either outside the box or the top of the box after cutting in on his stronger foot.

We're not using him right, so who knows how he could do. I see some real potential if he's used right. And that lay off for the tying goal against Columbus was class.

I think we're trying to continually plug players into a system instead of adapting the system to the players we have. That's usually a recipe for prolonged failure in MLS, as you can never get the right players all the time. I don't know why they don't get this.

Richard
08-25-2013, 12:35 PM
He's a winger, not a striker. That's what he plays for Wellington, as a wide forward in a 433. They're playing him out of position which doesn't play to his strength. Watch all the highlights from his 16-goal season last year and you'll see most of the goals came from either outside the box or the top of the box after cutting in on his stronger foot.

We're not using him right, so who knows how he could do. I see some real potential if he's used right. And that lay off for the tying goal against Columbus was class.

I think we're trying to continually plug players into a system instead of adapting the system to the players we have. That's usually a recipe for prolonged failure in MLS, as you can never get the right players all the time. I don't know why they don't get this.

Bingo! Same old TFC, I'm not making judgements until next year however. I think this should be the time for experimentation with formations, not play the same old every week. I hate coaches who don't show the willingness to be flexible, its not like our group is any good anway so there is no "consistency for success" excuse. I will give credit though to Nelson for playing younger players like Henry and Morgan, he certainly is trying to help them develop.

OgtheDim
08-25-2013, 05:27 PM
... No doubt getting the right players is important, but it's irrelevant to a winning mentality, where you have to go out to each game showing that you're doing something to promote the best chances of winning - now or in the future. Unless Brockie is going to be part of that future, him getting playing time was meaningless yesterday.

Although I agree on the Brockie thing, this "winning attitude" idea ultimately derives from a guy (Mourinho) who has had the most adversity to face when he managed Porto.

When Weidman dove to try to get a header, was that a losing mentality?

When Caldwell dove to deprive DeRo of a near post opportunity, was that a losing mentality?

When Bendik saved a DeRo special almost as good as his goal, was that a losing mentality?

Nobody wants to lose.

What it takes to win is more then mentality. Mourinho gets the players he needs to win, but it not like he was managing a Division 3 bottom dweller in the snow in the middle of February.

If you do not have close to the talent of the rest of the league, you will not win - we saw that in both teams last night. And, in a salary cap league, it takes time to develop that talent.