PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pick as our next Captain

Doucet3
08-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Not taking away anything from Caldwell here I'm just talkin hypothetical; like if Caldwell was to retire or say in 3 years who would you pick, what ever floats your boat

My opinion I think the next logical pick is Eckersley actually, the guys a warrior for our club, has the heart not only for the club but the city, is vocal on the field and has a strong play. I think even at a young age he could be great for many years to come.

PS: I put guys like Osorio, Laba, and Henry in cause time and time again it's been cemented into us there the next generation... Our building block, some might like the idea of start the new youth generation with a youth captain

Doucet3
08-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Mod little help iPhone change our to put in the title, wanna giver a fix? Thanks!

BuSaPuNk
08-21-2013, 06:45 AM
It all matters who is still here in 3 years or so. If we can keep this group together for a long period of time, I'd say Laba, Osorio, Bendik.

Laiping
08-21-2013, 07:00 AM
I picked Matias Laba. He's my choice. I think he's earned the title. :))

prizby
08-21-2013, 07:52 AM
we'll probably have some new players in 3 years; one's that will probably have some leadership capabilities

Pint
08-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Could make a case for laba in 3 years but all depends on how his English is at that point. As a captain you have much more media responsibility so if his grasp of the language is good then no problem but if it isn't then you may have to factor that is. My pick would probably be osorio or Henry based on them being local kids and academy products.

Canary10
08-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Why no Reggie Lambe in this poll?

Slick
08-21-2013, 09:14 AM
I doubt Eckersley will be around in 1 year let alone 3.

TOBOR !
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Osorio.

Other than Laba I'm not bothered if any of the others are here in 3 years.

Earnshaw won't be, neither will Convey, but you have to put some names in your poll I suppose.

I like Bendik, but he's really only the flavour of the month as far as our keeper goes.

miker
08-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't see any particularly captain-y material in that list. I predict it will be someone we have yet to acquire.

rowjimi
08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
If we are thinking 3 years down the road I am in the camp of Osorio or Henry.

Leedsoronto
08-21-2013, 09:27 AM
In "3" years time !!!! Things change quickly at TfC

I think Tevez be capt in 3 years, with Gerrard and Ferdanand as Vice Caps.

TFC07
08-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Whoever is the oldest player on the team with a good resume. So mostly like a new player will be a captain.

However, based on this poll, I would say Bendik.

OgtheDim
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Our roster 2 years ago:

Toronto FC -- Milos Kocic; Andy Iro, Richard Eckersley, Torsten Frings, Danleigh Borman (Ashtone Morgan 80); Matt Stinson, Julian de Guzman (Mikael Yourassowsky 61), Peri Marosevic; Ryan Johnson, Joao Plata, Javier Martina (Nathan Sturgis 46)

3 years is a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time in MLS.

Red I
08-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Could make a case for laba in 3 years but all depends on how his English is at that point. As a captain you have much more media responsibility so if his grasp of the language is good then no problem but if it isn't then you may have to factor that is. My pick would probably be osorio or Henry based on them being local kids and academy products.

Frings was captain... now, while his English was actually pretty decent, he was never comfortable enough with it to have the kind of media availability you say a captain needs to have, but he was captain nonetheless.

Voodooman
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Our roster 2 years ago:

Toronto FC -- Milos Kocic; Andy Iro, Richard Eckersley, Torsten Frings, Danleigh Borman (Ashtone Morgan 80); Matt Stinson, Julian de Guzman (Mikael Yourassowsky 61), Peri Marosevic; Ryan Johnson, Joao Plata, Javier Martina (Nathan Sturgis 46)

3 years is a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time in MLS.

Is it bad that I laughed looking at this line-up?

bones
08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Brockie will be back by then and at 28yrs old more seasoned and could make realistic sense. Since we're completely spitballing in 3 years time.

jloome
08-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Brockie will be back by then and at 28yrs old more seasoned and could make realistic sense. Since we're completely spitballing in 3 years time.

I'm not sure he's good enough to come back as a starter. League's improving too quickly. If we played him as a wide forward, as is often the case in Oz, he'd be more effective. He can run at guys, create stuff, shoot from distance. He's a good support striker/winger.

bones
08-21-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure he's good enough to come back as a starter. League's improving too quickly. If we played him as a wide forward, as is often the case in Oz, he'd be more effective. He can run at guys, create stuff, shoot from distance. He's a good support striker/winger.

Wonder how that would have gone if the Koev was healthy here with Brockie on winger as you suggested. How knows, he's going to mature a bit too in 3 years. I always found he had a positive look on things and worked his ass off so that's always 2 good things you want in a captain.

Doucet3
08-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Chad Barrett 2.0 ? Ahahaha

He will next year he'll be getting CAN citizenship and wil hopefully be taking a pay cut on his next contract. He'll be here for a while

Doucet3
08-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Why no Reggie Lambe in this poll?
Please tell me this is a joke

Derko
08-29-2013, 01:15 PM

I heared somwhere on this board he was applying for permanent residency status.

Dave67
08-29-2013, 01:35 PM
I'd just rotate the Captaincy at the moment. I don't think anyone has really stepped up into the role. If I had to chose I'd go with Laba. I'm more interested in a captain who can lead on the field than one who does a good interview.

Doucet3
08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
I heared somwhere on this board he was applying for permanent residency status.

Yep he said it himself, said if its something that would benefit his team then hes willing to do it, and he also stated that he like the city and country very much so it wouldnt be a big deal to him

Dv23
08-30-2013, 04:59 PM
I think our captain should be able to speak the language of the Country that he is in, and that the majority of his teammates speak. If Laba learns how to Speak English well enough, fine. But until then, I'm going with Osorio.

Abou Sky
08-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I think Henry is most likely to have the vision to lead, he is sharp as a tack and seems to be getting better every game.