PDA

View Full Version : To renew or not to renew?!?!

Dreadlocks
08-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I was chatting with the wife over the weekend talking about the family budget and TFC season seat renewal came up. She asked if I wanted to and I didn't have an answer. I want to go to matches because I love the game but I'm not sure the team has showed enough on their part for me to come up with my part. This is not about being a fan or not, I will always love the team. It's about if they have earned my $$ to attend matches at BMO regularly. With all the player, roof, CEO etc talk this year I have to wonder if it's just hype to get me to buy in or if they are really trying to put something together.

This thread may be a bit premature but when you have a family you have to budget for months ahead so it's something I have to figure out soon. Wanted to get everyone else's thoughts - not to make my decision but to put facts out there that will help me (and everyone here) decide. It may also be interesting to see how the thread evolves through the remainder of the season if they start winning or get new players in/out.

Mods, if this is covered somewhere else, do what you have to!

Pint
08-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm a single male: I enjoy going to games and can afford the cost of my light grey seats(standing area).

One thing to consider when making the decision: when the team is good and makes the playoffs(whether next year or 2 years from now etc) do you want to be at BMO to see it? Will you want your tickets back when the team is competitive? If your answer is yes I would say keep them because as far as sporting tickets go they are cheap.

miker
08-20-2013, 09:34 AM
I had tickets for the first six years but dropped off early last year - bad soccer and changing life circumstances meant empty seats. I don't regret the decision because I know that when I want to go, I can get tickets. I went to the last game and am interested in seeing more but I'd jump out the window if I bought season tickets again only to have one of the suits tell us that we're not aiming for the playoffs in year eight.

TFC07
08-20-2013, 09:36 AM
I am attached male (girlfriend and I both have season seats), I personally going to renew if I can get better and/or cheaper seats (currently have seats in the north end). I think this team is going right direction even though we haven't seen results on the standings. Next year is going to be a big year for TFC (in terms of signings) and hopefully by then, TFC are good enough team to make it to the playoffs. If they failed to improve next year, then I will give more serious thought about giving up on my season tickets.

Red CB Toronto
08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
To me it is simply. You either want to go to games or not and I do. I am at the point where all the front office wheeling, dealing and talk really does not factor in for me, I just want to be there plain and simple.

mastermixer
08-20-2013, 09:53 AM
If I decided to renew after the shit show last year, I don't see why I wouldn't renew again this year. It's really amazing that after 7 years they still can't even put together an average .500 team at the least.

prizby
08-20-2013, 10:08 AM
not to early; montreal already doing renewals

Joe Kool
08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I would love to keep my tickets but it is strictly a cost thing. If they don't do anything stupid I can afford it. If they decide to go back to later year pricing, I am probably out. The only reason I renewed last year is because of the drop or I was not going to be able to fit it in my budget at the current price that it was. I am, however, getting sick of showing up to watch them lose or drop late points but I can stick it out. My wife, on the other hand, will tell me over and over that she can't understand why I am wasting my time/money when we could be doing something else. She likes going too but much less patience. Hopefully TFC will fix that for me....one day.

Offside goal
08-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Let's see what the renewal pricing is going to be. I really can't see *ANY* justification for MLSE to raise seat prices.

Having said that, yellows and light grey seasons are good value for a day out with the boys (but perhaps not the product offered), and in my budgeting discussion with the wife I look at it as a $12/game excuse to meet up with some buds and catch up. We all follow the team and support our boys but after all these years and two kids later, I seem to be looking more towards meeting up with friends than being an ultra-passionate supporter with no voice after the final whistle blows.

leafsman
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
I will renew, after suffering for a couple of years of paying north prices, I am in the south now and its not so bad. If I didn't move sections then I don't think I would be renewing.

T-boy
08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I always think this thread should be split into those who have yellow/light grey tickets, and those who don't. There is a MASSIVE difference between less than $200 for your season compared to up to $1000 plus on the sidelines.

I'm in yellow, $180 for my season ticket is next to nothing for 6 months worth of 'entertainment'. $10 a game. I spend more money going to see movies that end up being terrible! So, really, my yellow season ticket is great value, even if the games aren't very good.

Now, if I was paying for a sideline ticket, my perception would be very different!

Leedsoronto
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Compare that to an average/crap British soccer team season ticket. Given that the Can$ is 160 to the pound BMO is cheap. Man U will be double + some I bet !

Southampton FC

Adult prices range between £730 and £520 for renewals and £820 and £585 for new tickets.

On a game-by-game basis, that means the most expensive tickets will cost fans £43 per match and £27 for the cheapest adult ticket.

flambe
08-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I enjoy going to games and the prices for 110 & 111 are good value to me. Will be renewing.

Super
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
It's a very easy decision for me to make. I pay around $200 for season tickets. That's peanuts for seasons. I'll spend that on a couple of concert tickets, easy. I'd probably pay as high as $500 at this stage. Beyond that I'd walk. However, if they raise the cost by a DIME I'll get pissed - just because of the principle of the whole thing. Play-offs first, THEN they can raise them. But I don't expect to pay more for losing football.

TFC07
08-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I will renew, after suffering for a couple of years of paying north prices, I am in the south now and its not so bad. If I didn't move sections then I don't think I would be renewing.

I am in similar situation. I am stuck in North end, but looking to move somewhere else unless they cut north end prices.

jabbronies
08-20-2013, 11:23 AM
It's a very easy decision for me to make. I pay around $200 for season tickets. That's peanuts for seasons. I'll spend that on a couple of concert tickets, easy. I'd probably pay as high as $500 at this stage. Beyond that I'd walk. However, if they raise the cost by a DIME I'll get pissed - just because of the principle of the whole thing. Play-offs first, THEN they can raise them. But I don't expect to pay more for losing football.

This is the worst post ever lol

They should never raise prices - this is MLS, not EPL. Doesn't matter if they win the MLS Cup! $200 for season is right where it should be in price. Keep in mind these are not world #1 'A' players and teams. These are C Teams at best. and in TFC's case, D Teams!

I hope you are kidding about paying $500 your tickets.

TFC07
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM

They should never raise prices - this is MLS, not EPL. Doesn't matter if they win the MLS Cup! $200 for season is right where it should be in price. Keep in mind these are not world #1 'A' players and teams. These are C Teams at best. and in TFC's case, D Teams!

Agreed. TFC should never raise ticket prices ever again. If anything, they need to reduce prices on certain sections (like north end and some of grey seats). If they want more money, then add more seats.

burlington Red
08-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Compare that to an average/crap British soccer team season ticket. Given that the Can$ is 160 to the pound BMO is cheap. Man U will be double + some I bet !

Southampton FC

Adult prices range between £730 and £520 for renewals and £820 and £585 for new tickets.

On a game-by-game basis, that means the most expensive tickets will cost fans £43 per match and £27 for the cheapest adult ticket.

Blackpool, my mate back home is paying rough 8 quid per game for his season ticket. That is probably a more accurate comparison for us than say Utd.

BuSaPuNk
08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Blackpool, my mate back home is paying rough 8 quid per game for his season ticket. That is probably a more accurate comparison for us than say Utd.

Yeah United also prices there tickets knowing there's a large contingent that travels in to see a game at Old Trafford.

If we were going to compare our prices with anyone it would be Championship, Bundesliga, ect.

jabbronies
08-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Agreed. TFC should never raise ticket prices ever again. If anything, they need to reduce prices on certain sections (like north end and some of grey seats). If they want more money, then add more seats.

Or get more sponsorships, or better TV deals - Milk the corporations they love to entertain at Leaf games.

Marc"2L"
08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I always think this thread should be split into those who have yellow/light grey tickets, and those who don't. There is a MASSIVE difference between less than $200 for your season compared to up to $1000 plus on the sidelines.

I'm in yellow, $180 for my season ticket is next to nothing for 6 months worth of 'entertainment'. $10 a game. I spend more money going to see movies that end up being terrible! So, really, my yellow season ticket is great value, even if the games aren't very good.

Now, if I was paying for a sideline ticket, my perception would be very different!

This right here, somebody else was saying that going even lower would never happen.
Why not? The east stand that's facing the TV camera is expensive, it would be greatly beneficial to the team if that section was always full.
How to do that is not easy. Cheaper tickets make blowing off a game more economically acceptable, which might actually help the base "well, they suck so I just won't go, maybe next time." vs "wow they suck and this ticket cost me a fortune, eff them"

glaze
08-20-2013, 12:50 PM
I think TFC is banking on making that big DP signing that will bring the corporations back into the stadium.
This year the boxes have seemed a bit empty, as well as the premium seats, and the field side tables.
Thing is, how many players are out there that could have a Beckham-like impact on soccer in this city?
I feel we're past the point where winning will solve things (in terms of attendance). The Metros-Croatia won NASL and didnt exactly fill varsity stadium.

If prices are frozen I think once again the club will enjoy heavy renewals in yellow and light grey. But I'd love to hear what the logic behind the face-value/walk up cost of tickets is, as well as the pricing of the other sections. The ticketing department is really out of touch with the true value of their product, their fanbase, and the economics of this city.

TFC07
08-20-2013, 01:04 PM
If prices are frozen I think once again the club will enjoy heavy renewals in yellow and light grey. But I'd love to hear what the logic behind the face-value/walk up cost of tickets is, as well as the pricing of the other sections. The ticketing department is really out of touch with the true value of their product, their fanbase, and the economics of this city.

This is why I hoped guys like Paul B were let go or transfer to some other MLSE job not related to TFC. TFC Business FO needs to be let go. They're just as bad as on-field product.

They got lucky in the beginning with off-field success, but that had to do more with supporters and support for soccer in the city, then their marketing/business skills. If they were in another market, they would have been fired a long time ago. Only in Toronto that doing a mediocre job is good enough to keep your job.

brad
08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Actually, an annual raise that matches inflation would be fair and something no one should complain about. Without that, you are actually paying less for your tickets each year (not that there is anything wrong with that :))

T-boy
08-20-2013, 01:23 PM

In the end of the day, its all about supply and demand. Right now, clearly the demand isn't higher than the supply. But I truly believe that the (mostly fickle) Toronto sports fan would soon demand more than the supply of tickets if they started a season with a couple of wins and look like they are going to have a good season. At that point, any supplier would increase their prices otherwise you would end up with scaplers making massive profits on tickets all around the stadium.

Dave67
08-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I was in the first 5 seasons and out the next 2. I was just offered a 3 game partial pack for 3 of the last 5 games of the season with the ugh... promise of jumping over the waiting list for new seasons next year. I'm actually considering buying back in. In the big picture I think this season has been entertaining, I think Laba is proving to be a quality signing and I think the current path will ultimately yield some results. Not as fast as any of us want, but I think results are coming. A good price on North Stand seats would get me back in the door.

Dreadlocks
08-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, as it stands right now, I'm going to renew if the prices remain the same. I'm in light gray and $200 is what I would spend on individual games if I didn't have seasons so it makes sense.

However, the team needs to get better ASAP. I knew there was a problem when my 6 year old daughter told me that she would like her team to play against TFC because her team passes better - and she was innocently serious!

habstfc
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I love my north end seats even though they should be priced between light grey and medium grey at most. I had a talk with my wife and we are only renewing to light grey seats. I miss at least 5 games a year due to different reasons and the cost increases to about 40 bucks a game per seat instead of the 25 bucks we pay now if you average it out over 19 games. We are going to get a sabres mini pack which costs about 600 bucks for seats equal to greens for 5 games and that way at least I can see the canadiens a couple of times a year at a reasonable price.

Roca
08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
If we were going to compare our prices with anyone it would be Championship, Bundesliga, ect.

I'd say more like League 1 or even 2. Just about any Championship team would tear us apart in short order. I don't even wanna think about what would happen to this team in the Bundesliga. But to the subject of the thread: I'll wait until I find out what the price is and whether my buddies around me are renewing. This year a lot of them just stayed home. Not much fun when the crowd is sparse and the team is so bad.

Yagbod
08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
I will always renew. It's not even a question for me. Live footy, friends, a few pints... These are holy days.

Abou Sky
08-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I have (mostly) stopped drinking beer so my game day has gotten much cheaper.

I get my free pop for not drinking which means about $10-$15 for drinks peanuts and M&Ms for son and I not including tix.

Hoping to get in on relocation so that means $11/each more, I take my electric scooter to games with son on back so $35-$40 for a day out is pretty cheap compared to near anything else.

Thomas
08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
The day that I don't look forward to coming to matches, and enjoying most games at BMO, will be the year I don't renew.....but for now, I still look forward to the experience. So I will be renewing.

redcard
08-20-2013, 05:15 PM
To me it is simply. You either want to go to games or not and I do. I am at the point where all the front office wheeling, dealing and talk really does not factor in for me, I just want to be there plain and simple.

my sentiments exactly!

JonO
08-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I am always torn this time of year. Love my seats, but hate the price. Will likely renew (if the person I share with renews as well) but not sure if I move down a price peg or two...

Cuppy
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Don't need to flinch on this question. My seats will be with me for life

trane
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
If I get around to it, I think, I will get back seasons next year, was thinking of doing it this year, but was not totally convinced. For me it is about confidence in the FO and do I like what the FO is doing with the team, for the most part, and I think I can say honestly that this time around they are really trying all out. I may not agree with everything they are doing, but a vote of confidence, with my buck is deserved.

cmonyoureds
08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Price is everything now. We dropped our tix due to the incessant increases and crappy product.

Like I told the guy last time he called......"sure, fit me in some nice yellows at $180 a season and I'll take 4. I'm not interested in anything higher than that or empty promises about re-location"

It was a short call.

Slick
08-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I've had light grey seats since day 1. Life and family are getting in the way for me to attend most games, coupled with the ongoing onfield disappointments. So in the last 2 years, I`ve been selling my season seats (at cost). I still watch every game on TV.

I plan on keeping my seats for now for 2 main reasons:
1 - Light greys are reasonably priced
2 - I believe that TFC have the right management in place to finally right this ship.

habstfc
08-23-2013, 10:47 PM
I've had light grey seats since day 1. Life and family are getting in the way for me to attend most games, coupled with the ongoing onfield disappointments. So in the last 2 years, I`ve been selling my season seats (at cost). I still watch every game on TV.

I plan on keeping my seats for now for 2 main reasons:
1 - Light greys are reasonably priced
2 - I believe that TFC have the right management in place to finally right this ship. That's exactly why I'm moving to light greys.

ensco
08-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I am bothered by the lack of housecleaning.

I spent 20K on seats before throwing in the towel last year. The people in charge, most of whom are still there, hired incompetents and expect us to forget.

Outside of players, there should be nobody who had ANYTHING to do with TFC still on the MLSE payroll.

moralis
08-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm with you ensco. This is really taking it's toll on me. Can't believe anything management says. JUST BS. Plus, it's just not fun anymore.

CFL
08-25-2013, 11:07 AM
I am bothered by the lack of housecleaning.

I spent 20K on seats before throwing in the towel last year. The people in charge, most of whom are still there, hired incompetents and expect us to forget.

Outside of players, there should be nobody who had ANYTHING to do with TFC still on the MLSE payroll.

Imagine had you simply given that to a homeless shelter. The tax right off angle and the fact they'd invite there time to time and you could probably meet ex TFC players staying there over a BBQ. Where are Gabe Gala and Nicholas Lindsay anyway?

Red4ever
08-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Here's the thing: MLSE has been selfish & atmosphere is terrible as a result. These things have a half life, and when we get good, atmosphere will be better. I'm keeping this stock as it is low cost and has nowhere to go but up.

After all the shit if bought, beer I've drank and extra money I've paid, I will be there when I get a playoff ticket in the mail

Still Kicking
08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
I will renew. I must renew. A season of TFC without being there, suffering, is not feasible.

I think the interesting tension in this soccer city is that MLSE (an entity that sees sports and entertainment as a blend, that a person buys a sports ticket the way they buy a movie ticket) owns Toronto Football Club. I think that joining a club is a deeper action than attending a movie. Your club is part of you, akin to marriage, an expression of loyalty and love and hope and dreams. A fan gets his club into his blood. I am not sure that MLSE will ever truly get that. I was crushed to learn last night that Asif is about to leave TFC for a job with the Canadian Olympic Assoc. Asif got that club connection concept across (maybe from his LFC loyalty?). MLSE/TFC is losing an important media voice and social media connection in Asif. But I am going off topic....

I will renew. I must renew.

miker
08-29-2013, 09:21 AM
I was thinking about getting back on board after six years with season tickets and this year off. Went to the Seattle game and was planning on more, but Payne and Nelsen's post-window comments jumped the shark for me. I don't trust Payne and I think there are further leadership battles ahead with Lieweke.

Nuvinho
08-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Kurtis Larson‏@KurtLarSUN9h (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/KurtLarSUN/status/373271238333841408) Also told tonight that fans won't be asked to put up money for season seat renewal until January. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Donald Duck
08-30-2013, 07:27 AM
I will renew my seats. Maybe if they can't make it to playoff in the next 3 years I will not renew it then. Is Toronto and we expect 10 years to make their first playoff. :P