PDA

View Full Version : TFC USL Team

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 09:28 AM
This was discussed earlier this year on another thread, I lightheartedly spoke of a TFC United USL or NASL team.

Well, I found this and it looks like this maybe a reality in 2014.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/toronto-fc-inching-closer-to-usl-pro-affiliate/

“We are exploring that possibility and it’s our hope that rather than participating in the reserve league next year that we instead have an affiliate agreement with a USL team.”

This after MLS executive Todd Durbin mentioned earlier this month that it was the league’s hope that every MLS club will be participating in USL PRO (North America’s third tier) through an affiliation or a stand alone team by 2015.

“There will still be some teams in the reserve league (next season),” Payne explained. “The USL team that we partner with might actually occasionally play MLS reserve teams.

“It’s much better for the development of younger players to be playing in games that really matter (in front of) fans that care.”

Damien
08-15-2013, 09:35 AM
I think Ottawa or Hamilton will end up being our affiliate.
Hamilton would be preferable due to proximity.

burlington Red
08-15-2013, 09:41 AM
makes sense to do so, probably 5-6 yrs too late but better late than never

Wolves_On_Tour
08-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Does Hamilton have a team anymore? Please excuse my ignorance.
I ask because the Hamilton PDL team moved to Kitchener and is now KW United FC.

Oldtimer
08-15-2013, 09:46 AM
If it's a USL affiliation it will be with a US club, because USL Pro (D3) is not sanctioned in Canada, and won't be.

Yohan
08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
If it's a USL affiliation it will be with a US club, because USL Pro (D3) is not sanctioned in Canada, and won't be.
Which is too bad. Sign a young int prospect, loan him to TFC USL team in canada, get him residency after 3 yrs.

MartinUtd
08-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Paul Bernie: "We have a plan to win.... and it involves entry into the USL"

Detroit_TFC
08-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I doubt that MLSE is going to flip the bill for a whole new USL team in the States, too much hassle. This means they will likely jointly affiliate with a USL team along with one or more other MLS teams. IIRC there was some mention initially that some teams would be going that route. I don't think the Canadian MLS teams will be allowed to make non-USL affiliations to meet the reserve league obligations.

Red CB Toronto
08-15-2013, 10:32 AM

The only loophole that the CSA gave to the three MLS is that they would be allowed to have their reserve team in USL Pro as it would be viewed as an extension of an already existing soccer entity in this country. So if Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal were to have there reserve team in USL Pro they could do so in their market.

TFC07
08-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Isn't Toronto Lynx part of USL Pro already? If so, that isn't good news for TFC. CSA and Lynx stand in TFC's way right now, so it will be better for TFC to get a partnership deal with Ottawa Fury next season. I am sure Montreal Impact is thinking of doing same as well.

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Payne goes on to say:

“We’ve had conversations with Hamilton, Ont., which will become a USL team next year, I believe,” Payne said. “We think that kind of relationship would make a lot of sense. Our players can go there but also can be, in certain situations, available to us.”

Maybe Hamilton then ?

NolbertoS
08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Are the Toronto Lynx still alive?? Haven't gone to a game in over a decade. Are the Hartrells still the owners?? Can't believe before TFC's entry, tried to get my local soccer fix there

CFL
08-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Paul Bernie: "We have a plan to win.... and it involves entry into the USL"

One more team for MLSE to mismanage and drive into the ground.

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Hmmm

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5AC7DC5C-D854-4CB4-96BB-B3DB11B9E458/0/Aug1656.pdf

pdogg
08-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Isn't Toronto Lynx part of USL Pro already? If so, that isn't good news for TFC. CSA and Lynx stand in TFC's way right now, so it will be better for TFC to get a partnership deal with Ottawa Fury next season. I am sure Montreal Impact is thinking of doing same as well.

AFAIK, the Lynx are USL PDL, not USL Pro.

Gilberto9
08-15-2013, 11:07 AM
A team in Hamilton sounds great to me.. Will be able to catch local games for once. Where are they expected to play home games?

TFC07
08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
AFAIK, the Lynx are USL PDL, not USL Pro.

Thanks. But it seems like they want to move to Hamilton and partner up with TFC. Hopefully this happens because we need an Under 23 team to develop our players.

TFC07
08-15-2013, 11:12 AM
A team in Hamilton sounds great to me.. Will be able to catch local games for once. Where are they expected to play home games?

New Ti-cat stadium (Tim Hortons Field aka Ivor Wynne) opening next year.

Gilberto9
08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
New Ti-cat stadium (Tim Hortons Field aka Ivor Wynne) opening next year.

My thought too, but would much rather see them playing in a smaller stadium. I think Ron Joyce Stadium will be an option.

TFC07
08-15-2013, 11:21 AM
My thought too, but would much rather see them playing in a smaller stadium. I think Ron Joyce Stadium will be an option.

Based on letters posted by Leedsoronto, they want to play at new stadium being built for Ti-Cats.

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 11:22 AM

The letters in the link show that the CSA and Lynx are on board with this, plus they have $2m funding lined up.

Link again now I read it all:

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5AC7DC5C-D854-4CB4-96BB-B3DB11B9E458/0/Aug1656.pdf

Gilberto9
08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
One more team for MLSE to mismanage and drive into the ground.

MLSE would manage this team? I thought it was just affiliation.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Kinda like the Urruti thing, I'll applaud when they hold up the jersey.

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Kinda like the Urruti thing, I'll applaud when they hold up the jersey.

Good point

Bit tongue in cheek at the moment. Interesting though ?

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Isn't that field going to be turf?

Damien
08-15-2013, 12:39 PM
did anyone see this yet?

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/8/15/4624918/usl-pro-hamilton-toronto-fc-lynx-partnership-tim-hortons-field

Detroit_TFC
08-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Having the reserve team local like some do, makes a lot of sense. 3 USL Pro teams within driving distance (Rochester 2 hr, Pittsburgh 4 hrs, Harrisburg 6 hrs)

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
did anyone see this yet?

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/8/15/4624918/usl-pro-hamilton-toronto-fc-lynx-partnership-tim-hortons-field

Just had a read, it was posted 5 mins ago so this idea is raising quite a bit of awareness around the footie forums. :@)

ag futbol
08-15-2013, 12:47 PM
The letters in the link show that the CSA and Lynx are on board with this, plus they have $2m funding lined up.

Link again now I read it all:

Yep, a quick glace through that and it appears it is all there.

So I'm guessing the main opposition to "USL" would be sanctioning additional PDL franchises at this point. Maybe that's the more direct overlap with the proposed league 1 structure? It would be hard to reason that the regional setup in Ontario would have clubs with similar to USL Pro teams.

mowe
08-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Excellent initiative, much needed for the development of TFC and Canadian soccer as a whole. Looks like all systems are go, with the support of the CSA, USL, Lynx, and TFC. All that's needed is the city of Hamilton's approval to use the new stadium.

Interesting on TFC's role in this:
The plan would have the Hamilton franchise play in the USL PRO division and become the developmental team for Toronto FC's MLS team -with significant technical, marketing, sponsorship and financial assistance from Toronto FC.

Canuck82
08-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Since this is considered a professional team in the eyes of the CSA, that should also mean they would be eligible for the Canadian Championships - bringing the total for 2014 to six teams. Since they had already put a provisional round in place for Edmonton to play Ottawa next year, it would be just as easy to slot a second round series between the 3rd and 6th seeded teams. Ergo, based on the standings as they are today, the seeds would be:

1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. Toronto
4. Edmonton
5. Ottawa
6. Hamilton

A simple two-legged quarterfinal - 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 with the winners moving on to face seeds 1 and 2 in the semis. Toronto vs Hamilton - hmm, where have I seen that before....

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 01:02 PM
TFC would have to have a significant financial hold on the new USL Pro team in order that they can favour their own players above the rest of the team.

glaze
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Hamilton needs something to fill in some dates at the new Ivor Wynne.
I think the scale may be a bit too big though. What is a decent crowd for a USL team?
Minor leagues have been attempted and failed in this market for far too many years.

Detroit_TFC
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Seems avg attendance is around 1500 to 2000. Orlando City is in pre-MLS mode, they are drawing a lot more than other teams in the league. There are four or five teams that are absolute shit in attendance (less than 750 avg.)

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
MLSE will call them "the Baby Reds". (Probably not the first or last marketing mistake that will be made)

Maybe Cochrane can go down there and run that team?

Regardless, as somebody on the waking the red story said, if there is a city council that can mess this one up, its Hamilton's.

Canuck82
08-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Team (number of home games): Average attendance as of August 4th
Orlando (10): 7966
Rochester (12): 5876
Charleston (13): 3558
Pittsburgh (7): 3462
Wilmington (9): 3258
Richmond (11): 2174
Phoenix (9): 2073
Harrisburg (9): 1331
Charlotte (13): 802
Dayton (9): 679
Los Angeles (7): 632
Tampa Bay (6): 461

Initial B
08-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Hmmm, if a Hamilton-Toronto Connection works, then Abbotsford would probably be an ideal location for a USL PRO affiliate for Vancouver (assuming there's interest there) as it's about the same distance as Ham-Tor. Montreal could be more problematic as there's not a large urban centre in close proximity, but Trois-Rivieres would probably work best due to its placement between Quebec City/Montreal. Add a couple of NASL teams to Quebec City, Halifax, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, and Victoria and that would give Canadian players a lot more options for development and what could be a very decent national tournament for the CCL slot.

prizby
08-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Just had a read, it was posted 5 mins ago so this idea is raising quite a bit of awareness around the footie forums. :@)

yeah sorry, was interested to see what type of reaction it'd get on twitter; very positive

Since this is considered a professional team in the eyes of the CSA, that should also mean they would be eligible for the Canadian Championships - bringing the total for 2014 to six teams. Since they had already put a provisional round in place for Edmonton to play Ottawa next year, it would be just as easy to slot a second round series between the 3rd and 6th seeded teams. Ergo, based on the standings as they are today, the seeds would be:

1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. Toronto
4. Edmonton
5. Ottawa
6. Hamilton

A simple two-legged quarterfinal - 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 with the winners moving on to face seeds 1 and 2 in the semis. Toronto vs Hamilton - hmm, where have I seen that before....

depends; if the CSA see's Hamilton as a TFC farm team, would they let TFC have a 'second' team in the competition?

Damien
08-15-2013, 02:25 PM
depends; if the CSA see's Hamilton as a TFC farm team, would they let TFC have a 'second' team in the competition?

They do in Mexico... Cruz Azul has a 'B' team in 2nd division that could conceivably be promoted.
I think other Mexican teams do as well but I'm not that into Mexican league to care.

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 02:35 PM
As far as player development goes it can only be a good thing. Imagine if Welshman and Becker were getting regular week in week out competitive games. They would have either performed better on the international platform, or found out to be a total waste of $$$ and kicked out months ago!!!!

Either way I think it's a move for the good of soccer in Canada.

BuSaPuNk
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
They do in Mexico... Cruz Azul has a 'B' team in 2nd division that could conceivably be promoted.
I think other Mexican teams do as well but I'm not that into Mexican league to care.

Not to mention the teams that play in the US Open Cup. I believe Orlando played KC this year and Orlando is there team.

Detroit_TFC
08-15-2013, 02:58 PM
The players on loan were cup tied.

Damien
08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
I wonder what they'd name this hamilton team?

TFC Hamilton? Golden Horseshoe FC? FC Ontario? Stelco FC?

prizby
08-15-2013, 03:02 PM

They also do in Germany with the u23 teams unless of course the u23 team is playing in the professional division (ie. this year, Dortmund's and Stuttgart's 2nd team cannot compete in the German Cup)

Not to mention the teams that play in the US Open Cup. I believe Orlando played KC this year and Orlando is there team.

I see Orlando-KC partnership more to do with loaning players and not so much a financial arrangement as well; I think the TFC-Hamilton relationship (should it happen) would be more than just loaning a few players, which is a bit different and might be viewed a bit differently; just my feelings into it though, that is all

goodyear
08-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I hear they'll be called Hamilton Steelers. Current Toronto Lynx management will run the team with TFC.

Leedsoronto
08-15-2013, 05:15 PM
I hear they'll be called Hamilton Steelers. Current Toronto Lynx management will run the team with TFC.

Wonder if they will share the new TFC facility at Downsview for training or locate everything in Hamilton?

jpopick
08-15-2013, 05:34 PM
We'll take 'em in Rochester, said the guy from Rochester.

We're used to poor management, and yearn for the days of having a competitive team with promising future stars.

We also have a pretty decent history (NASL; US Open Cup Champs), and are basically just a suburb of Toronto . . .

And I think it might help convince another handful of local lunatics to make the three-hour trek to BMO for games, too.

Haddy
08-15-2013, 06:02 PM
So I'm guessing the main opposition to "USL" would be sanctioning additional PDL franchises at this point. Maybe that's the more direct overlap with the proposed league 1 structure? It would be hard to reason that the regional setup in Ontario would have clubs with similar to USL Pro teams.

I am all for TFC to get their reserves playing more meaningful matches...or loanees, whatever. But now I'm really getting concerned about a D3 in Canada. It would be nice to say we could pull something off on our own. I guess it's tricky when you have three D1 teams playing in a multi-national league.

I wonder what they'd name this hamilton team?

TFC Hamilton? Golden Horseshoe FC? FC Ontario? Stelco FC?

Hamilton Highlanders Football Club

We'll take 'em in Rochester, said the guy from Rochester.

We're used to poor management, and yearn for the days of having a competitive team with promising future stars.

We also have a pretty decent history (NASL; US Open Cup Champs), and are basically just a suburb of Toronto . . .

And I think it might help convince another handful of local lunatics to make the three-hour trek to BMO for games, too.

Sorry. Rochester is already affiliated with the New England Revolution. You already sold your soul to a different devil.

OgtheDim
08-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Good choice.

I remember that name from the Old CSL. Saw Justin Fashanu (RIP) play against Kitchener, about 13 years after I saw him play for Norwich against Everton.

Initial B
08-15-2013, 06:34 PM
I think I'd rather see the name Steeltown FC for Hamilton's club. It has a nice ring to it. Get a rivalry going with Pittsburgh. ;)

Damien
08-15-2013, 06:51 PM
FC Hammertown

TOBOR !
08-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Important for the club to have a local identity, rather than a transplanted Toronto identity.

TFC07
08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Hamilton Lynx...lol

Doucet3
08-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Important for the club to have a local identity, rather than a transplanted Toronto identity.
Agree i think it should have its own identity, Hamilton United?, Hamilton FC?, Hamilton Steelers, Ontario FC, Hamilton Lynx, Steeltown FC, Steeltown United, Hamilton Steel; would love the colour scheme of Black and Yellow.

Either way I would love to have a affiliate right down the road, Im in the Niagara Falls area so id make the trek to see Roberts starts with welshman and Bekker among others get full playing time, i love to see a team build off development and this is a big step towards that.

Redcoe15
08-16-2013, 01:12 AM
If the owners of the Toronto Lynx are still running the team, then it wouldn't surprise me if they were still called the Lynx. If they're playing at old Ivor Wynn or Tim Hortons Stadium or what ever it's called, the nickname would seem to compliment the Tiger-Cats.

Shway
08-16-2013, 01:29 AM
whatever happened to Bob Young, I'm surprised I haven't read anything about him....IIRC one of thing mentioned in the stadium deal that there would be a professional soccer team to fill the dates.

Also, I wonder how some Hamiltonians feel about this team being the new marlies.

Areathrasher
08-16-2013, 07:56 AM
whatever happened to Bob Young, I'm surprised I haven't read anything about him....IIRC one of thing mentioned in the stadium deal that there would be a professional soccer team to fill the dates.

Also, I wonder how some Hamiltonians feel about this team being the new marlies.

Given the Habs farm team is in Hamilton, I think they should be ok with it.

Pint
08-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Would players we loan out still count towards our roster and cap restrictions?

C.Ronaldo
08-16-2013, 08:52 AM
boo

Hamilton needs a NASL team, no one will want to watch 3rd tier, even if the quality is on par, its still called 3rd tier.

use one of the GTA suburbs for a USL affiliate team, Mississauga or Markham makes sense. They can still easily use the Kia Training Grounds

Although I believe Mississauga is at the point can handle a NASL team, its hard to get people out to games when 70% of their income is mortgage. Plus its just so close to BMO, would be competing for same fans

MarkEightThree
08-16-2013, 09:44 AM
I thought the CSA wanted to keep USL Pro out of Canada since we're trying to get our own Div III set up? Kind of taking a step backward on this one to be honest. I'd rather see a nation-wide 3rd division comprised of smaller regional leagues much like the CHL.

Aside from that though, this is good news for the Toronto Lynx. I know their owner has pumped tons of money into the team and has been taking a loss every year since TFC came into town.

TFC07
08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
boo

Hamilton needs a NASL team, no one will want to watch 3rd tier, even if the quality is on par, its still called 3rd tier.

use one of the GTA suburbs for a USL affiliate team, Mississauga or Markham makes sense. They can still easily use the Kia Training Grounds

Although I believe Mississauga is at the point can handle a NASL team, its hard to get people out to games when 70% of their income is mortgage. Plus its just so close to BMO, would be competing for same fans

Yeah, I was hoping for NASL team for Hamilton, but I guess USL Pro made more sense financially especially when TFC is financially supporting them.

I believe NASL is going to look at bigger Canadian cities like Calgary before Hamilton (Only about 500,000 people live in Hamilton now which is less than Mississauga's population).

TFC07
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM
I thought the CSA wanted to keep USL Pro out of Canada since we're trying to get our own Div III set up? Kind of taking a step backward on this one to be honest. I'd rather see a nation-wide 3rd division comprised of smaller regional leagues much like the CHL.

Aside from that though, this is good news for the Toronto Lynx. I know their owner has pumped tons of money into the team and has been taking a loss every year since TFC came into town.

Yeah, I was hoping same here, but I guess we will create 4th division league (good bye PDL?) where kids can play and move up to USL or NASL.

Leedsoronto
08-16-2013, 09:53 AM
I thought the CSA wanted to keep USL Pro out of Canada since we're trying to get our own Div III set up? Kiind of taking a step backward on this one to be honest. I'd rather see a nation-wide 3rd division comprised of smaller regional leagues.

Soccer is still in its infancy in Canada, unlike Hockey.

I don't think diluting the games, teams and leagues into a vast array of 1st 2nd 3rd divisions and area leagues would be beneficial for the sport as a whole.

The idea put forward for a USL Pro team is the way forward, and may get the attention of Van and Montreal making competition in this league akin to the championship or UK 1st division.

elironico
08-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Would players we loan out still count towards our roster and cap restrictions?

Yes.

bones
08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
This all blows from the very beginning. How the piss can the USSF dictate what a Canadian team affiliates itself with??? Why the hell isn't the CSA standing up to this shit. I'm sorry but I don't buy into any standards crap that the USSF is doing here. If they want to get on their high horse and say that all MLS teams much be affiliated with a tier 2 or tier 3 team then the MLS should be working with the CSA to make damn sure TFC hooks up with a local tier 2 or tier 3 league team and start putting the heat on that League 1 Ontario thing or whatever will be in place for next year.

prizby
08-16-2013, 10:36 AM

unless the csa see it as an extension of the tfc

Leedsoronto
08-16-2013, 10:38 AM
@Bones

Then we end up with a typical Scottish English league divide. Yeh, that what u like to see, a TFC (Celtic) who just go through the motions every week then win the league.

Wales did the right thing and stuck with the EPL, look at Cardiff now and Swansea, a much better position that the Scottish league IMO.

Let's just go play with the big boys ehh !!!

There is still a place to a third Canadian tier, maybe even have promotion into the USL Pro but let's not hold back a good bunch of players on a "Ohh it ain't Canadian" excuse.

Initial B
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't think that the CSA will allow carte-blanche creation of USL affiliations. I think the only Canadian USL teams they will allow will have to be MLS-affiliates of either TFC, Impact and Whitecaps. Everyone else will be forced to join NASL or one of the Canadian Div-3 Regional Leagues.

bones
08-16-2013, 10:59 AM
@Leedsoronto

There is no comparison between the Scottish league and a Division 2 or 3 here in Canada so saying TFC will walk all over these teams is not applicable. (I don't expect the Leafs to walk all over the Peterborough Petes either)

Wales, again yes, you're talking about at the elite level, their highest players. Again, we do that now TFC plays the "big boys" in MLS.

Back to the point of Div 2 or 3 leagues. I'd much rather see TFC have a team in a local Div 2 or 3 system than have to rely on USL Pro. And the CSA won't allow sanctioning of a team that crosses into USSF control for promotion. There is nothing wrong with trying to establish a proper development system within your own local area. TFC should be encouraging it. The CSA should be mandating it.

evermorian
08-16-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm not really sure I would like TFC to use Hamilton as their affiliate. Although it makes sense geographically, our reserve players would be playing on artificial turf as it seems that the Hamilton franchise would most likely play at Tim Hortons Field. Don't like the idea of our on loan players playing on that stuff and increasing their chances of being injured. Just my two cents though.

ag futbol
08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
I very much doubt that Ontario League 1 would in any way compete with a USL-pro type setup. They don't have the facilities, financial backers, or player pool to make anything close to equivalent happen.

The new league will serve it's own separate purpose. More likely semi-pro development and a place where USL / MLS teams can scout young talent then can refine further in their own setups.

Haddy
08-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Just a thought...

Are Canadians considered domestic in USL Pro for American teams? If that were the case, I would be happier about USL Pro here. But if it means the same as MLS, domestic here but not in the US, that doesn't help our development as much as I'd like.

edit: I do appreciate the financial strength of USL Pro. That's why I really want us classified as domestics by the USL, to take advantage of all the programs and facilities already in place down there.

Yohan
08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes.
wrong. a player does not count towards roster spot and salary cap once loaned out

bones
08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Just a thought...

Are Canadians considered domestic in USL Pro for American teams? If that were the case, I would be happier about USL Pro here. But if it means the same as MLS, domestic here but not in the US, that doesn't help our development as much as I'd like.

edit: I do appreciate the financial strength of USL Pro. That's why I really want us classified as domestics by the USL, to take advantage of all the programs and facilities already in place down there.

They can't. This is a USA Labour Law issue not a choice of the league whether it's USL Pro, MLS or any other sport or business for that matter.

BeachTory
08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
They can't. This is a USA Labour Law issue not a choice of the league whether it's USL Pro, MLS or any other sport or business for that matter.

This is incorrect. There are no labour law restrictions the preclude MLS from calling Canadians as domestics in the league and in their CBA. The NASL call Canadians domestic in the US. Sandor at the11.ca blog wrote extensively on this. The choice to exclude Canadians as domestic in MLS is a USFF/MLS choice.

BeachTory
08-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I was hoping same here, but I guess we will create 4th division league (good bye PDL?) where kids can play and move up to USL or NASL.

Isnt the Ontario League One to be the highest form of PDL in Ontario, as in, a place where TFC plays their U23 team including all the ex academy players that play during the NCAA off season (ie summer). This allows TFC to rack up the training hours to qualify players as homegrown.

Supporting a USL PRO team in Hamilton is ideal for TFC with player loans and trialists as it also keeps any NASL team out of the stadium and lowers any potential competiton for TFC in the area. Smart move to tie up the stadium if it works out.

jaahuuu
08-16-2013, 02:15 PM

This is incorrect. There are no labour law restrictions the preclude MLS from calling Canadians as domestics in the league and in their CBA. The NASL call Canadians domestic in the US. Sandor at the11.ca blog wrote extensively on this. The choice to exclude Canadians as domestic in MLS is a USFF/MLS choice.
US labor laws say that foreigners from certain counties can't be given preferential treatment over foreigners from other countries. If I'm remembering the blog correctly, they said the NASL basically gets away with it (for now) because nobody has taken them to court about it, yet.

Shway
08-16-2013, 02:55 PM
wrong. a player does not count towards roster spot and salary cap once loaned out

this rule must of been changed recently, previously a player on loan would count to the cap/roster spot

goodyear
08-16-2013, 05:05 PM
While Toronto Lynx gave up their Pro status in 2006, it maintained USL teams at every level down to Under 15. They have a USL PDL team, USL Super 20 team, and Super Y teams from 15 to 17. This could really help TFC in getting the Academy teams experience playing south of the border. Currently all TFCA teams play in Ontario leagues a year up. Also a really good position for Toronto Lynx players as there is a path to go through the Lynx system to a professional career playing under the watchful eyes of an MLS club.

prizby
08-16-2013, 06:30 PM

i wish there was a RT button for comments like these

cochrdoc
08-17-2013, 11:42 PM
After watching another depressing game , we already have the USL team.When are we going to get an MLS team.We lost to Pittsburgh not to long ago.

Doucet3
08-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Just throwing this out there but maybe throw a team in the Niagara region?

1) farther away so it kinda eliminates the butting into attendance factor
2) if a small 2,500 - 5,000 seater stadium is built in st kits or the falls I think the area would grab the attention of a decent amount of people here; I'm not just saying that cause I live in the area it actually seems like a better idea, maybe even put it in the NOTL area.
3) grass... It's not Tim hortons stadium lol

Initial B
08-19-2013, 03:55 PM
If you get too close to Buffalo, that might affect their chances of getting a franchise. Besides, I don't think they're too worried about attendance if Bodgers money is behind it.

CFL
08-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Soccer is still in its infancy in Canada, unlike Hockey.

I don't think diluting the games, teams and leagues into a vast array of 1st 2nd 3rd divisions and area leagues would be beneficial for the sport as a whole.

The idea put forward for a USL Pro team is the way forward, and may get the attention of Van and Montreal making competition in this league akin to the championship or UK 1st division.

Soccer has been here for the last 100 years. Pro soccer has been around since the mid-60's in this town. You have no idea what you're talking about. The earliest game recorded in Toronto happened in 1857. There are more kids playing the game than hockey. I just hate that excuse "Oh soccer is new to this country" to blame the lack of attendances or lack of a national pro league .

Leedsoronto
08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Soccer has been here for the last 100 years. Pro soccer has been around since the mid-60's in this town. You have no idea what you're talking about. The earliest game recorded in Toronto happened in 1857. There are more kids playing the game than hockey. I just hate that excuse "Oh soccer is new to this country" to blame the lack of attendances or lack of a national pro league .

Not been very popular here though ehh, maybe I should have said the popularity of footy just has not been there until the last 10-20 years.

I did say infancy, not that it is new !!! Yeh ?

Soccer in Canada reminds me of Rugby Union in the UK. Been there for as long as I know, but just not got the same balls as soccer. :@)

Mark in Ottawa
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I just hate that excuse "Oh soccer is new to this country" to blame the lack of attendances or lack of a national pro league .
So do I when the fault clearly lies with the CSA and its lack of planning in building the sport from the ground up.
After all they have hockey as a model of what will work geographically in this country.

OgtheDim
08-19-2013, 08:59 PM

The infrastructure to get soccer teams up and running and successful hasn't been there until the last 10 years. (Some of us remember the CSL from the 90's).

We also have the rather unusual issue of having to get past the "we only play with our own ethnicity" hurdles (still prevalent at local district soccer leagues).

69Chevy396
08-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Soccer is played in elementary schools across the country having middle aged music teachers as trainers and coaches. In community centres and municipal house leagues, these kids are coached by parents. The percentage of soccer playing kids who receive adeqate instruction and training is miniscule compared with hockey.

tfcmanu
10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4146864-toronto-team-keen-to-play-soccer-at-new-hortons-field/

More Info on TFC USL team

TOBOR !
10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
^ I was gonna post that as well. It pretty much puts the brakes on the Lynx moving to Hamilton.

ag futbol
10-09-2013, 03:43 PM
^ Pretty annoying, considering the other alternative for a team is barely off the ground.

So where does a TFC USL team go if it's not Hamilton? BTW, with the average attendance of the D2 teams hovering between 3-10k I'd like to see more consideration for building mini-SSS that would lend itself to a better atmosphere.

tfcmanu
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Maybe if Hamilton does not work out TFC can give FC London a try in USL PRO...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_London

Yohan
10-09-2013, 03:51 PM
^ Pretty annoying, considering the other alternative for a team is barely off the ground.

So where does a TFC USL team go if it's not Hamilton? BTW, with the average attendance of the D2 teams hovering between 3-10k I'd like to see more consideration for building mini-SSS that would lend itself to a better atmosphere.
why would TFC spend millions of bucks on a D3 feeder club?

ag futbol
10-09-2013, 03:56 PM
why would TFC spend millions of bucks on a D3 feeder club?
Because it wouldn't' cost millions of bucks and if your referring to the stadium there's always public money that can make it work. It doesn't have to be TFC's stadium any more than THF is.

There's a shortage of suitable smaller facilities in this country as it stands. IT could be used for a number of different purposes and not just a D3 soccer team.

OgtheDim
10-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Could they build up something out of Downsview? I don't know if the CSA would go for it.

Yohan
10-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Could they build up something out of Downsview? I don't know if the CSA would go for it.
need seating capacity. current USL teams have min 4k stadiums

Abou Sky
10-09-2013, 09:15 PM
It would be badass to refurbish birchmount

Initial B
10-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Hmmm, just thinking - what if the eventual goal is to move Hamilton from USL Pro to NASL, then move the USL Pro Franchise to Forest City London? Then you would have the equivalent of AAA and AA level soccer in feeder clubs that TFC could bring players up and down from.

Haddy
10-28-2013, 02:42 PM
San Jose just announced the purchase of a PDL team.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/10/28/san-jose-earthquakes-announce-they-will-field-team-usl-pdl-starting-2014

As for TFC, today Tim Bez said meetings have taken place but nothing signed yet.

Sullivan
10-29-2013, 09:39 AM
So do I when the fault clearly lies with the CSA and its lack of planning in building the sport from the ground up.

Excellent point.
CSA founded in 1912!
FIFA was formed in 1904, CSA joined in 1912.
And what is the CSA's legacy? In an effort to remain positive, I'll suggest it's still to be determined!

After all they have hockey as a model of what will work geographically in this country.

If the CSA applied themselves, I think they could have learned a thing or two from the curling crowd as well (another "seasonal niche" sport in Canada).