PDA

View Full Version : GoTorontoFC.com is saying goodbye

Haddy
08-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Hey RPB friends,

I personally want to thank all of you who joined with us at GoTFC during TFC's infancy - whether you were a member or a guest. We were very successful for a time. But alas real life happens, the news portion was removed and the remaining message board is seldom used now. GoTFC is a part of Toronto FC's history, not its present.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, we provided the Supporters Cup trophy and, for a time, organized the event. Denis aka Denime was our midfield maestro. We also completely failed at organizing a RBNY trip in the summer of 2007. :drum:

James, the creator and owner of GoTFC is saying goodbye on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/joliphant/posts/10153095042130405) and in a post on the site (http://gotorontofc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4823&start=0).

Hey folks,

It's hard to believe it has been nearly 7 years since this site's launch...a day I'll never forget (in part because it was Remembrance Day).

From day one, our tiny crew worked tirelessly to bring you what little news there was about our fledgling club...long before the big dailies got on board. But the news was always just the carrot. The goal was to build a community of informed and passionate fans who were at the same time intelligent in their analysis and civil in their discourse.

With your help, that's exactly what this site became - the calm center of online TFC support.

Taking nothing away from the other community sites, but GoTFC managed to avoid much of the drama that became pervasive elsewhere...a fact of which I am extremely proud and for which I take no credit. That's all down to you, the members of this community. I thank you all.

Now the bad news...

The service which hosts GoTFC is due for renewal and will expire next week. I have decided - after much deliberation - not to renew the service. This means that GoTFC will likely be offline as of this Monday, August 19.

I'm sorry to do it, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I haven't been able to keep the site up to its former standard and don't imagine I'll have the time to do so going forward. Not to mention that there are now so many other fantastic site dedicated to TFC specifically and football in Canada generally.

Again, I want to say thank you to everyone who helped make this site what it was. I've made some fantastic friends here and I hope we'll continue to run into each other at and around BMO Field.

If you haven't done so already, please add me on either Facebook or Twitter (hell, why not both?).http://www.facebook.com/joliphant
http://twitter.com/1moreastronaut

Cheers,
James Oliphant

Joe Kool
08-14-2013, 09:01 AM
GoTFC was the first site I joined when TFC was formed and I was active for a few years in the forum as Chelsea_Fan. I enjoyed the discussions because they were always level headed discussions with the folks there. I also tried at the same time to join the RPB forum but found that my first few posts initially here were met with sarcasm or some kind of degrading response so I was turned off of the RPB forum at the time. In time though I ended up joining RPB and built more of a thick skin I guess you could say but honestly there are many many more good people on here than not and the trolls of the past that I had experience with have been weeded out thanks to the mods. Anyhow, thanks very much James and the GoTFC crew as well as all the fine folks that posted on there. It was part of my initial TFC experience and I really appreciate the effort it took to run it.

Phil
08-14-2013, 09:04 AM
James is a good friend of mine and provides us with a model to emulate. Sad to hear the site will be gone.

Damien
08-14-2013, 09:09 AM
What a shame. It was a great site while it lasted.
I hope the GoTFC guys can keep contibuting here on the RPB boards!

billyfly
08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
GoTFC was the first site I joined when TFC was formed and I was active for a few years in the forum as Chelsea_Fan. I enjoyed the discussions because they were always level headed discussions with the folks there. I also tried at the same time to join the RPB forum but found that my first few posts initially here were met with sarcasm or some kind of degrading response so I was turned off of the RPB forum at the time. In time though I ended up joining RPB and built more of a thick skin I guess you could say but honestly there are many many more good people on here than not and the trolls of the past that I had experience with have been weeded out thanks to the mods. Anyhow, thanks very much James and the GoTFC crew as well as all the fine folks that posted on there. It was part of my initial TFC experience and I really appreciate the effort it took to run it.

Same here.

ArmenJBX
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
GoTFC was the first site I signed up for. I have a lot of really cool memories of that place, sad to see it go.

Alonso
08-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Ditto.

I was more active there for the first few years and then migrated over to RPB when I found out there was a local Kitchener chapter that I could join.

I guess I will have to lurk around the "Last person to post in here wins" thread and see if I can manage the Win! g:D

Cheers to James who I've met at BMO and chatted with a few times.

Red CB Toronto
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
GoTorontoFC was one of the first sites I came across when our newly minted footy squad was born. Heck I even remember in 2007 it was listed in the supporters group section of the official TFC website as one of the four being them, us, USector and TRN. Never could figure why it was removed from there.

Not sure exactly what happened with the NYC trip in 2007 as my only involvement was buying and picking up my ticket in the stadium parking lot from James. It was memorable as it was the first TFC road game I attended.

Thanks to James for giving us this site and you will forever be a member of the TFC supporter community.

denime
08-14-2013, 09:05 PM
WOW,Sad news.

GoTFC was first site I signed for and my first TFC away game was with GoTFC trip to NY in 2007,that was great trip and great supporters tournament.

James,Haddy thanks for hard work all these years,it was real pleasure to play supporters cup with you,see guys at BMO Field!!

http://youtu.be/eVl7YIBsqI8

Red CB Toronto
08-14-2013, 10:23 PM
As they mentioned above failing at organizing the New York trip, I remember none of this, what exactly happened

WOW,Sad news.

GoTFC was first site I signed for and my first TFC away game was with GoTFC trip to NY in 2007,that was great trip and great supporters tournament.

James,Haddy thanks for hard work all these years,it was real pleasure to play supporters cup with you,see guys at BMO Field!!

http://youtu.be/eVl7YIBsqI8

Auzzy
08-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Similar to others, GoTFC was the first TFC board I lurked on, and the first I joined (actually about the first Internet forum I actively engaged in). Sad to see it go, but understandable. Thanks to James, Haddy, and the others that made it happen!

As I wrote elsewhere, hopefully some day TFC becomes a club that elicits more excitement and participation again -- this time on its own merit.

gate7
08-14-2013, 11:10 PM

same story with me.....and i agree with your post entirely......:tfc:

gate7
08-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Ditto.

I was more active there for the first few years and then migrated over to RPB when I found out there was a local Kitchener chapter that I could join.

I guess I will have to lurk around the "Last person to post in here wins" thread and see if I can manage the Win! g:D

Cheers to James who I've met at BMO and chatted with a few times.

lol good times....................btw i win!

Haddy
08-14-2013, 11:51 PM
As they mentioned above failing at organizing the New York trip, I remember none of this, what exactly happened

I should be more clear. It was nothing tragic or dramatic. Hotel room assignment confusion caused some very late check-ins and getting the buses headed home was a real pain. I, for one, remember the yelling lol. We were too few and under-prepared compared to all the RPB / U-Sec trips. Having said that, the supporters tournament at Giants Stadium was absolutely perfect..........and I still have the runner-up trophy to prove it. We lost to a local team but beat Shaughno & Co in the semis - that's all that really mattered haha. Only time in my life I was pumped to finish second!

khso11
08-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Sad to see it go :(, GoTFC was the first place I joined.

Damien
08-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Does GoTFC still have that trophy from the first supporters soccer tournament in 2007 (or 2008)?

Phil
08-15-2013, 07:17 AM
I should be more clear. It was nothing tragic or dramatic. Hotel room assignment confusion caused some very late check-ins and getting the buses headed home was a real pain. I, for one, remember the yelling lol. We were too few and under-prepared compared to all the RPB / U-Sec trips. Having said that, the supporters tournament at Giants Stadium was absolutely perfect..........and I still have the runner-up trophy to prove it. We lost to a local team but beat Shaughno & Co in the semis - that's all that really mattered haha. Only time in my life I was pumped to finish second!

That whole trip was pretty messed up, and not anyones fault. If I remember right it was a Sunday game and we were leaving from the station. I also remember the bus driver driving in NYC wondering where he was going to park LOL.

Again thanks to you and James for everything. Stick around ;)

MKR
08-15-2013, 07:24 AM
too bad. i was a member there too.

Just another sign of the collective wind being let out of TFC's sails.
this team could use an injection of enthusiasm. an injection of something.

Oldtimer
08-15-2013, 08:04 AM
GoTorontoFC was one of the early places I would go, it's part of my memory of the early days of TFC, along with Simon's original spam-infested board (that gave birth to the RPB).

Haddy
08-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Does GoTFC still have that trophy from the first supporters soccer tournament in 2007 (or 2008)?

The trophy that was used for multiple years? It's either at the BMO offices or with the last winner of the supporters cup. I can't remember who that would be. 2 or 3 years ago now. I remember meeting DeRo there, right before he left to DC.

I bought the trophy in Cambridge a day before the first tourney held indoors on railside road in the spring(?) followed by one outdoors in the fall of 07.

Would still very much like to be involved in future supporter tourneys if they pop up.

Jack
08-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Too bad. You guys did a good thing over there, but I guess when it's time, the lights must go out. I do believe it's indicative of the general malaise that we see around our team, both from the general public and from the ardent supporters who spent their time, money and passion to build sites like that.

trane
08-15-2013, 09:16 AM
^ I was just about to comment that it is a sad indication of the general issues with the team failing to capitalize on the incredible enthusiasm we all met it with.

Were is Shags????

Phil
08-15-2013, 10:17 AM
^ I was just about to comment that it is a sad indication of the general issues with the team failing to capitalize on the incredible enthusiasm we all met it with.

Were is Shags????

Shags still shows up to games, I talk with him from time to time. Lots of real life changes for him.

trane
08-15-2013, 10:19 AM
^ I heard, but I have not seen him in a while.

Red CB Toronto
08-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Why did the supporters cup die, I played in the last one on the turf at BMO, quite enjoyed the experience. Lets bring it back.