PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Aug.08

denime
08-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)Toronto FC falls to Roma in spirited friendly (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-falls-to-roma-in-spirited-friendly/)

Roma rolls to easy win over Toronto FC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/roma-rolls-to-easy-win-over-toronto-fc/article13654714/)

Roma defeats Toronto FC in friendly (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/07/roma-defeats-toronto-fc-in-friendly)

Toronto FC no match for star-studded AS Roma (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/660917069?-19896:6206)

Two Under-18 Players In Canada Squad (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/08/two-under-18-players-canada-squad)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Technorgasm
08-08-2013, 07:03 AM
made a great account of ourselves last night. .
HAs to be said that. . it was a TOMB in the there. . . you could clearly hear the players calls and the coaches directions.
IF you are a fan of serieA, or a Roma fan, you should feel the shame . .
Where were the famous OULSTRAS?

The decible level for an MLS game was 10 times that. . . .

Last year, when the glorious Noble RED of LIVERPOOL was at rogers centre, you had to scream to talk to the guy beside ya. . . .

BuSaPuNk
08-08-2013, 07:11 AM
It was more of a Totti lovefest then anything else it seems like.

Futbolista
08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Despite the score, I though the lads play better than just a friendly.
Yes the "Ultras" didnt show up. Where were the Woodbridge warriors ?? LOL

gdg_9
08-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Despite the score, I though the lads play better than just a friendly.
Yes the "Ultras" didnt show up. Where were the Woodbridge warriors ?? LOL

Oh Woodbridge was definitely there...

It's just that those who showed up were mostly just Totti fanboys rather than actual Roma Ultras... or even really actual football fans for that matter.

(At least that was the impression I got from many of the people around me)

SoccMan2
08-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Why should a fan of the serie A or a Roma fan feel the shame " Technorgasm" shame for what? The famous Roma Ultras were probably in Rome where else would they be? The only reason the Liverpool game at the Rogers Center was louder was the fact that there was more people there and the Rogers Center is just louder because it's enclosed. Moreover, why not the big outcry last year over the Liverpool game as there was this year over this Roma game, and from what I remember quite a few of TFC supporters groups were present at last years Liverpool game as compared to this year where it looks very few TFC supporter groups showed up, why?

Fort York Redcoat
08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Why should a fan of the serie A or a Roma fan feel the shame " Technorgasm" shame for what? The famous Roma Ultras were probably in Rome where else would they be? The only reason the Liverpool game at the Rogers Center was louder was the fact that there was more people there and the Rogers Center is just louder because it's enclosed. Moreover, why not the big outcry last year over the Liverpool game as there was this year over this Roma game, and from what I remember quite a few of TFC supporters groups were present at last years Liverpool game as compared to this year where it looks very few TFC supporter groups showed up, why?

There's a "search" function on this site. I suggest you use it to see the EXTENSIVE "outcry". You Roma lot got away with PAGES and PAGES less of it.

And how is "louder because there was more people" an excuse? Why weren't there more people?

And then you answer you're own question with the TFC support at Liverpool. There was and is more support for them. Inside and outside TFC Support.

Dem's da breaks. And before you claim bias, don't. I wasn't present and won't be for any future ones.

Voodooman
08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah I was surrounded by Roma fans. You could tell that many of these people have never been to a TFC game.

First of all everyone was sitting. Second I was getting yelled at for standing, so my buddy and I just gave up and moved to 113 where few people were still standing.
There was little support for TFC, the cheers were louder for Roma, with actually a lot of boos when we scored which shocked me.

Again though, I was impressed with the way TFC played last night.

SoccMan2
08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Not a Roma supporter at all I support Napoli outside of TFC, also a former supporter of the Toronto Metros, Metros Croatia, Toronto Blizzard and the Toronto Lynx and of course our Canadian National team since the early 1970's and present. Moreover, I know about the "search" function and looked at last year's pages and I will still stand by the fact that the outcry was bigger this year. Furthermore, it's not Toronto's Serie A fans fault that many are not big TFC supporters unlike myself when you consider where in the world the majority of our players,coaches and staff have come from, this particular fanbase you saw at last night's game has been ignored by this organization so no wonder many are not fans. I posted a resume of my many years of being a Toronto and Canadian soccer fan over the years above, just to let you know that this is not coming from a Johnny come lately soccer fan but a Serie A fan who has been a fan of local soccer for years.

Fort York Redcoat
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Not a Roma supporter at all I support Napoli outside of TFC, also a former supporter of the Toronto Metros, Metros Croatia, Toronto Blizzard and the Toronto Lynx and of course our Canadian National team since the early 1970's and present. Moreover, I know about the "search" function and looked at last year's pages and I will still stand by the fact that the outcry was bigger this year. Furthermore, it's not Toronto's Serie A fans fault that many are not big TFC supporters unlike myself when you consider where in the world the majority of our players,coaches and staff have come from, this particular fanbase you saw at last night's game has been ignored by this organization so no wonder many are not fans. I posted a resume of my many years of being a Toronto and Canadian soccer fan over the years above, just to let you know that this is not coming from a Johnny come lately soccer fan but a Serie A fan who has been a fan of local soccer for years.

Glad to hear of your support. But you're wrong. More people going means more people talking here. The proof is there for you to see or ignore.

And I can't give any credit to the attitude of not supporting one's local because of background makeup of the team. There was no Ex pat grand exodus when we had the Dutch infusion. This "My background or I'm not going" doesn't impress me.

But again I'll say I'm glad for your support and love for the game.

C.Ronaldo
08-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Furthermore, it's not Toronto's Serie A fans fault that many are not big TFC supporters unlike myself when you consider where in the world the majority of our players,coaches and staff have come from, this particular fanbase you saw at last night's game has been ignored by this organization so no wonder many are not fans. I posted a resume of my many years of being a Toronto and Canadian soccer fan over the years above, just to let you know that this is not coming from a Johnny come lately soccer fan but a Serie A fan who has been a fan of local soccer for years.

May i refer you to the Why Descent matters thread
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34632-Why-descent-matters-so-much-to-some-people

I know its a touchy subject, but alot of the football fans that live in "woodbridge", "Brampton", "Markham" moved out there to be with their own and avoid the Canadian lifestyle. Its possible that its almost futile to pander to them. Attract an Italian coach/style, and you may alienate everyone else.

This is english / french country first, us immigrants (or children of immigrants) can add our flare, but you can't expect it to all go one way. You can add portuguese fish, but don't take away their chips if you know what I mean.

69Chevy396
08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
May i refer you to the Why Descent matters thread
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34632-Why-descent-matters-so-much-to-some-people

I know its a touchy subject, but alot of the football fans that live in "woodbridge", "Brampton", "Markham" moved out there to be with their own and avoid the Canadian lifestyle. Its possible that its almost futile to pander to them. Attract an Italian coach/style, and you may alienate everyone else.

This is english / french country first, us immigrants (or children of immigrants) can add our flare, but you can't expect it to all go one way. You can add portuguese fish, but don't take away their chips if you know what I mean.
I am wondering aloud why this foolish, flaming post doesnt get deleted.

gdg_9
08-08-2013, 12:00 PM
BACK ON TOPIC...

Another TFC Article...

Dobson: 'Toronto FC Lacks a Strong Spine"
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/dobson-toronto-fc-lacks-a-strong-spine/

Gotta say, I really don't agree with Dobson's assessment.

Do they have a strong spine? No. They need a boss at the back, a general in midfield, and a goal scorer. Look at Montreal, with Alessandro Nesta and Matteo Ferrari in the back line, Patrice Bernier and newcomer Hernan Bernardello (who was brilliant in his debut Wednesday night, by the way) in midfield, and Marco Di Vaio up top. Toronto doesn’t have that.

Now, he is absolutely correct in the attacking third. TFC needs vast improvement there.

But a boss at the back? That is no longer a need for TFC.
I think Caldwell has filled this role pretty well.
To be honest, right now, at this point in their careers, I would take Caldwell over Nesta.

Then there's the defensive MF...

What’s not so obvious is whether or not Laba is the man. Based on the goal he scored against New England, maybe he’s the guy. Maybe. He’s shown flashes so far. Now he needs to show consistency. The jury is still out.

Again, completely disagree here. Laba has been great.
"Consistency" is the one thing he HAS shown, as he has been consistantly improving every game.
DMF is another area in which TFC no longer has a need.

What we need now is the Bernier + Di Vaio portion of the Montreal equation Dobson speaks of...
(And really, we could have had the "aging but extremely effective striker" part locked up if Koev's could get/stay healthy. His strike rate in MLS is unreal.)

IMO Dobson's overall analysis in this piece is way off.
The one thing TFC has improved most this season is it's "Spine" (at least the lower half of it anyway).
Their biggest needs in the second half have been wide players, and creative attacking forces.

... but maybe I'm just being too much of a homer TFC supporter

gdg_9
08-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Toronto FC Signs Academy Product Aparicio
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-signs-academy-product-aparicio/

Richard
08-08-2013, 12:12 PM
What’s not so obvious is whether or not Laba is the man. Based on the goal he scored against New England, maybe he’s the guy. Maybe. He’s shown flashes so far. Now he needs to show consistency. The jury is still out.

Are you fucking serious? :facepalm: This is a paid broadcaster in the sport of soccer? Does he not know what the primary role of the DM is? He is not supposed to scores goals FFS. He is the best thing that happen to this team, the jury is not out and in fact they came back and said he is the best fucking thing since sliced bread for this team.

ag futbol
08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
BACK ON TOPIC...

Another TFC Article...

Dobson: 'Toronto FC Lacks a Strong Spine"
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/dobson-toronto-fc-lacks-a-strong-spine/

Gotta say, I really don't agree with Dobson's assessment.

Now, he is absolutely correct in the attacking third. TFC needs vast improvement there.

But a boss at the back? That is no longer a need for TFC.
I think Caldwell has filled this role pretty well.
To be honest, right now, at this point in their careers, I would take Caldwell over Nesta.

Then there's the defensive MF...

Again, completely disagree here. Laba has been great.
"Consistency" is the one thing he HAS shown, as he has been consistantly improving every game.
DMF is another area in which TFC no longer has a need.

What we need now is the Bernier + Di Vaio portion of the Montreal equation Dobson speaks of...
(And really, we could have had the "aging but extremely effective striker" part locked up if Koev's could get/stay healthy. His strike rate in MLS is unreal.)

IMO Dobson's overall analysis in this piece is way off.
The one thing TFC has improved most this season is it's "Spine" (at least the lower half of it anyway).
Their biggest needs in the second half have been wide players, and creative attacking forces.

... but maybe I'm just being too much of a homer TFC supporter
Yeah I completely disagree with his take on our team as well. He seems to be one of those guys who gets googly eyed every time the team lets a goal in. That's not always an indication of a defensive problem.

The biggest issue with our team is that nobody respects us going forward. That allows the other team to push more players forward without being punished. Lambe, Braun, etc... can't figure out what to do even with an acre of space.

End result is that we spend a lot of time defending and eventually things break down. But when all you do is defend, that's inevitable and not necessarily indicative of a defensive problem.

gdg_9
08-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Yeah I completely disagree with his take on our team as well. He seems to be one of those guys who gets googly eyed every time the team lets a goal in. That's not always an indication of a defensive problem.

The biggest issue with our team is that nobody respects us going forward. That allows the other team to push more players forward without being punished. Lambe, Braun, etc... can't figure out what to do even with an acre of space.

End result is that we spend a lot of time defending and eventually things break down. But when all you do is defend, that's inevitable and not necessarily indicative of a defensive problem.

Not to mention, even if you look at pure defensive stats, we are not bad!
I believe we are 8th in the league or something close to that... compared to second last offensively.

A new "boss" at the back is the least of our concerns.

Yagbod
08-08-2013, 12:51 PM
What I thought was odd was the lack of any pro-Roma songs or chants even. At other friendlies the visiting supporters always seem to know and sing a few. There was nothing last night and it was quiet enough to hear people yelling from across the pitch. Roma fans outnumbered us about 300-1 but I didn't hear a single chant.

BuSaPuNk
08-08-2013, 12:58 PM
What I thought was odd was the lack of any pro-Roma songs or chants even. At other friendlies the visiting supporters always seem to know and sing a few. There was nothing last night and it was quiet enough to hear people yelling from across the pitch. Roma fans outnumbered us about 300-1 but I didn't hear a single chant.

Fan boys not supporters. Probably grabbed all there Roma gear at Real Sports the week leading up to the game. Probably don't even watch Serie A, just came to see Totti.

Phil
08-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Just to be clear, there were no RPB banners or drums at either event. Its a night off, optional game that has no bearing on the standings. If people want to go, so be it but its not something we are interested in putting a ton of effort into. Members had their input and the message was loud and clear.

trane
08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
made a great account of ourselves last night. .
HAs to be said that. . it was a TOMB in the there. . . you could clearly hear the players calls and the coaches directions.
IF you are a fan of serieA, or a Roma fan, you should feel the shame . .
Where were the famous OULSTRAS?

The decible level for an MLS game was 10 times that. . . .

Last year, when the glorious Noble RED of LIVERPOOL was at rogers centre, you had to scream to talk to the guy beside ya. . . .

Nobody got stabbed so I doubt that there were any Roma Ultras at the stadium yesterday.

If you ever see an actual Seria A game particular in Rome it is pretty damn loud.

gdg_9
08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Fan boys not supporters. Probably grabbed all there Roma gear at Real Sports the week leading up to the game. Probably don't even watch Serie A, just came to see Totti.

This is exactly what I experienced from the people around me.

Bunch of Jersey Shore wannabe's yelling "Yo, F*ck guy, bring on Totti!" countless times.

Many probably couldn't identify some of the teams in the lower half of Serie A standings.

Not true football suppporters, just fan boys trying desperately to prove their "Italian-ness" by shouting the name "Totti" in their best attempt at an Italian accent.

I'm sure there were many true Roma/Serie A/Italy football supporters present at BMO as well, but they were definitely not the ones influencing the atmosphere (at least around the section I was in!)

johnmolinaro
08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Quick question for you all.

How much interest would there be out there in a live online chat at sportsnet.ca where I answer questions about Toronto FC and MLS? Would you guys ask a question? Would you check out the chat as it was going on (likely at noon or 1ET) and/or read the transcript once it was over?

Any insight you can give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
John Molinaro, sportsnet.ca

gdg_9
08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Not sure I would be available to participate at that time, but would definitely read the transcript afterwards.

MartinUtd
08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Dobson: What’s not so obvious is whether or not Laba is the man. Based on the goal he scored against New England, maybe he’s the guy. Maybe. He’s shown flashes so far. Now he needs to show consistency. The jury is still out.

Are you fucking serious? :facepalm: This is a paid broadcaster in the sport of soccer? Does he not know what the primary role of the DM is? He is not supposed to scores goals FFS. He is the best thing that happen to this team, the jury is not out and in fact they came back and said he is the best fucking thing since sliced bread for this team.

Came here to say this. Dobson is dead to me now. I mean really, did it take a DM scoring a goal to get him to notice? He must have really loved the JDG signing a few years back.

moralis
08-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi John,

That's sounds great. I would participate. Any news on a TFC/MLS/Canada Soccer related podcast. Need more MLS type coverage because TV and radio don't care.

trane
08-08-2013, 07:21 PM

How much interest would there be out there in a live online chat at sportsnet.ca where I answer questions about Toronto FC and MLS? Would you guys ask a question? Would you check out the chat as it was going on (likely at noon or 1ET) and/or read the transcript once it was over?

Cheers,

Fuckin-A. Yes.

Yohan
08-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Cheers,
time slot might be a bit of bummer (but hey, I guess that gives us something to do during lunch break lol) but anything like this would be welcome (I'm guessing similar format to what Ives does?)

cincy
08-09-2013, 05:26 AM

Cheers,
John Molinaro, sportsnet.ca I would participate, I like the Jays ones that they have done over there.

Klinsmann
08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Here's a pic from the game that I snapped from the beer garden

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9484680823_7b6e81f11b_b.jpg

Red CB Toronto
08-11-2013, 10:58 AM
112 please stand up

here's a pic from the game that i snapped from the beer garden

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9484680823_7b6e81f11b_b.jpg

Red CB Toronto
08-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Looking at the above photo even more made me realize how much even a lack of Red their actually was in 112. Look only about 10 or so people are even wearing TFC gear.

Eastend
08-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Isn't the pic from the Roma game? No RPB there so you wouldn't expect anyone to be standing.