PDA

View Full Version : MLS All-Stars vs Roma thread

Oldtimer
07-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Anyone watching this game? It's on at 9PM.

BuSaPuNk
07-31-2013, 11:36 AM
If I can't find anything else on TV or have plans i'll probably watch it. Not looking forward to it but it will be interesting to see how our all-stars stack up against a Serie A team.

pekduck
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm in Charlotte. will tune in to ESPN2 while working on project budget.....lol

Fort York Redcoat
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
I won't stay up for this. No. I think it will be fun for Roma fans, though.

Stress
07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
I planning on watching it. Current Bet365 odds are 4.00 MLS 3.60 Draw 1.70 Roma. Not the best game to make a wager on but interesting to see what they come up with.

T-boy
07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
That's not a bad bet on MLS to win!

MartinUtd
07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
All star games in general don't really interest me. I'll probably catch the game in six tomorrow.

Yagbod
07-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Not that this would happen, but I would laugh my ass off if Roma wins tonight and then TFC somehow beat them next Wednesday. Poetic irony or something like that.

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Its on MLS Live....might watch it just to see how the MLS guys come together. They usually take it far more seriously then the other team. No studs up tackles, but I suspect somebody is going to try to make an Italian defender look silly.

Voodooman
07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Im guessing I can rewatch it on MLS Live.

Prob will do that

TFC_Allez
07-31-2013, 01:21 PM
I'll be watching. Should be a fun match.

Haddy
07-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Has anybody seen the "All-Star Rap" video MLS did with Funny Or Die?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2013/news/article/2013/07/31/video-graham-zusi-omar-gonzalez-star-mls-all-stars-make-their-rap-debut-side

tfcleeds
07-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Don't watch All-star games of any sport as a rule - so probably won't watch this one either.

cmonyoureds
07-31-2013, 02:45 PM
meh
neither this nor the TFC match next week.

CBTFC
07-31-2013, 03:01 PM
I'll be watching. Should be a fun match. I agree. I think the SKC fans will bring their A game for this and provide a solid atmosphere.

Richard
07-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Don't watch All-star games of any sport as a rule - so probably won't watch this one either.

Its a "Friendly". I don't think its fair to lump the MLS all-star game with the other major sports. Out of all the sports football has the most enjoyable friendly games.

Corpand
07-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Has anybody seen the "All-Star Rap" video MLS did with Funny Or Die?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2013/news/article/2013/07/31/video-graham-zusi-omar-gonzalez-star-mls-all-stars-make-their-rap-debut-side

Beckerman absolutely kills it. Cringe-worthy at spots.

I will be watching this game though, see where this league's talent level has gone.

BuSaPuNk
07-31-2013, 08:04 PM
What the fuck baseball?

v00d00daddy
07-31-2013, 08:06 PM
What the fuck baseball?

LOL...15-19 year olds to boot.

What a joke. Not that I'm super excited about the All Star game but this is messed up. LOL

Leedsoronto
07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
On now

Terry Enry and De Vio up front, just what TFC could do with :@)

Big cup too

There is always the Canada Ladies game v Germany for those who can't watch

Red CB Toronto
07-31-2013, 08:21 PM
Preki on the pitch, great to see.

v00d00daddy
07-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Keep your eye on Florenzi. Young plauer that looked really good at the U21 Euros.

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 08:25 PM
So, I turned this on and is it the US vs. Roma? That's what the national anthem seems to be making it out to be.

Oh, and blacked out on MLS live.

Corpand
07-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Wow love how Roma is bossing midfield. The second our guys get possession, they SWARM the midfielders causing a turnover.

Oh and look, a goal.

mowe
07-31-2013, 08:33 PM
OG to start the game. Roma up a goal

CBTFC
07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Collin own goal in front of his own fans. Awesome, lol.

Leedsoronto
07-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Not own goal but close, nearly 2 then too.

Not sure that TFC will have mu h luck v Roma looking at 1st 5 mins

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 08:38 PM
MLS guys beside the forwards are in shock. Star struck by the technique going on around them.

Leedsoronto
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Ref camera is cool :@)

PopePouri
07-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Ref camera is cool :@)

First person refereeing.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Totti has already made 4 exquisite passes in this game, he is putting on a clinic

Leedsoronto
07-31-2013, 08:56 PM
MLS team should ask for a second ball so they can play too

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Beckerman is the only real defensive pressure in the midfield.

Oh look...a long ball going nowhere.

Richard
07-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Garber making an announcement at half. Could be the new DP rule

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok the most interesting part of this game, apart from watching Totti pass onto a dime, might be Lalas hopefully screaming at Garber at half time about Chivas.

BuSaPuNk
07-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Garber making an announcement at half. Could be the new DP rule

Could be Totti going to the MLS all star team because he's Torontos new DP! Lmao

BuSaPuNk
07-31-2013, 09:26 PM
4 new teams? You have to be kidding me.

PopePouri
07-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Disappointed. Hopefully it ends there. Basically we'd be the size of the Championship at 24 teams.

mowe
07-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Did he say four new teams by 2020? Miami, Orlando, Minnesota, Atlanta would be my guesses. Plus Chivas relocates somewhere else.

pekduck
07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Ok the most interesting part of this game, apart from watching Totti pass onto a dime, might be Lalas hopefully screaming at Garber at half time about Chivas.

yeah, he's on it from the get go.... just look at his body language.... Don handled it well to be frank

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Jeez, I am really hoping Toronto gets one of them.

Richard
07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Well that sucked.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Did he say four new teams by 2020? Miami, Orlando, Minnesota, Atlanta would be my guesses. Plus Chivas relocates somewhere else.
Detroit-the only city that can build a stadium downtown without demolishing anything.

lobo
07-31-2013, 09:33 PM

awesome! lolol

so ... MLS 3.0, eh. Ref cams included?

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2013, 09:33 PM
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0808/jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

Richard
07-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Detroit-the only city that can build a stadium downtown without demolishing anything.

Hahaha. On second that's kind of sad.

pekduck
07-31-2013, 09:35 PM
that was easy.. 2-0 Roma...

they weren't even trying....

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Oh look...an all star LB acting like Morgan.

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 09:39 PM
yeah, he's on it from the get go.... just look at his body language.... Don handled it well to be frank

Yup...although he as much as said that Chivas has to change their marketing or ownership will change. "That hasn't worked" was his phrase. Commissioners who say that are not happy people.

mowe
07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Expansion dilutes talent which is why I would've liked to stand pat at 20 or at the most 22 teams. There are several teams now that are struggling off the pitch, adding more is risky. Garber must have had some really strong ownership groups make proposals if he's willing to add 5 teams (including NYCFC) in 7 years.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
After toniht dont bet Garber invites another Italian team to this game any time soon. I love Roma but they are a mid level Serie A club right now, and they are only sweating out their cause it is a hundred degrees-they are making the MLS look very bad. Better to bring in a mediocre team, one that can be beat, like Chelsea:drinking:

Thomas
07-31-2013, 09:54 PM
This is primarily so Garber and his associates can line their pockets with the charges with joining the league. This is short term thinking, like setting up a restaurant franchise location 1 block from another one. This isn't the time to be diluting the talent pool.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
For the game in BMO, perhaps mls will change the rules and forbid Roma from wearing boots.

pekduck
07-31-2013, 09:57 PM
beautiful pass by bradley, 3-0 Roma...

any prediction for the score against TFC?

Yohan
07-31-2013, 10:02 PM
This is primarily so Garber and his associates can line their pockets with the charges with joining the league. This is short term thinking, like setting up a restaurant franchise location 1 block from another one. This isn't the time to be diluting the talent pool.
only reason MLS is making a profit right now is due to expansion fees

no good TV deal, no profit. simple as that

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 10:03 PM
beautiful pass by bradley, 3-0 Roma...

any prediction for the score against TFC?
Lets just hope Laba doesnt leave the game on the wrong bus.

Marc"2L"
07-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Corner straight to Roma, almost a goal at the other end.

Real showcase for the league here.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 10:15 PM
MLS team should ask for a second ball so they can play too
Mls has a chance now, Totti is subbed.

BuSaPuNk
07-31-2013, 10:24 PM
LoL the MVP of an all star game that doesn't even play in the league lmao.

trane
07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
As I said Roma is a much more talented team then people realize. It has other issues last year. Plus European teams are no longer sleeping on the mls all star team, they are not sleepwalking through the game at starting youth team players.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
As I said Roma is a much more talented team then people realize. It has other issues last year. Plus European teams are no longer sleeping on the mls all star team, they are not sleepwalking through the game at starting youth team players.
Italian football has been mired in scandals, player exodus, financial problems for years, but the on field quality is on par with any league. Roma has always played this possession first short pass game, mls would have performed better had they prepared for this. I think early in the game the mls players were over confident, if u can believe it, but that didnt last very long.

lobo
07-31-2013, 10:54 PM

bradley and strootman gonna make a smashing mid for roma this year. deep talent there. i've been casually following roma for years, and this year's squad looks lke they can crush the disappointment of last couple years. hope to see them back in some european play.

i doubt roma puts out the same lineup against TFC as they did tonite. in any case, it ain't gonna be pretty.

TFC1154ever
07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Merda are fucken bad. Worst defensive team in Serie A. Lazio has completely owned them for 3 years now. They are no better then a 6th ot 7th place team in Serie A. Only player i have been really impressed by on their team is Lamela. Didn't watch the game, did he play?

lobo
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Merda are fucken bad. Worst defensive team in Serie A. Lazio has completely owned them for 3 years now. They are no better then a 6th ot 7th place team in Serie A. Only player i have been really impressed by on their team is Lamela. Didn't watch the game, did he play?

Lamela? Nope, no minutes in this big game ... they are that deep in talent :cool:

trane
08-01-2013, 07:49 AM

They have bought Benatia, who is a world class Centerback, and they have a new keeper, plus strootman, who is sold both ways. They are making a serious push. Lazio has played better, but they are not more talented then Roma. Roma's issues was not talent, but system, moral and lockeroom.

brad
08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
I enjoyed watching Roma control the midfield. Haven't watched Totti in a few years, he's still class...

Obviously a massive gulf in class between the two, it sort of makes me laugh when I heard the Don talk about MLS being a top league by 2020 in the middle of that.. Were you watching the game Don? You have a long way to go to get even close to that.

To be fair though, an All Star team is never really going to represent that well - it's a collection of individuals, not a team. I think they said at one point the All Stars had 5 forwards out there. It would be far more interesting to watch one of the top MLS teams against Roma than the All Stars.

backbeat
08-01-2013, 08:07 AM
I don't know much about Roma - but some Italian friends suggested they put out a 'B' team and still walked all over MLS - I had suggested otherwise - can anyone tell me, who knows the team if it was their 'A' team or not?

v00d00daddy
08-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I enjoyed watching Roma control the midfield. Haven't watched Totti in a few years, he's still class...

Obviously a massive gulf in class between the two, it sort of makes me laugh when I heard the Don talk about MLS being a top league by 2020 in the middle of that.. Were you watching the game Don? You have a long way to go to get even close to that.

To be fair though, an All Star team is never really going to represent that well - it's a collection of individuals, not a team. I think they said at one point the All Stars had 5 forwards out there. It would be far more interesting to watch one of the top MLS teams against Roma than the All Stars.

It would be interesting, especially if both teams were motivated to win.

Last night was an exhibition. Neither side was interested in doing anything to win. If that was Sporting KC at their top against Roma at their top, it would have been uglier than 3-1.

DeRossi and Totti weren't even on the field at the same time and Roma was playing their 4th string striker. LOL

I'm no Roma fan but I don't think there has ever been a midfielder/mezzapunta in this league of his calibre in terms of controlling the game. Not, GBS, Blanco. Closest would have been in the early days with Valderamma or Stoichkov. But even those guys didn't control the pace and flow of the game the way Totti can. Beckham was great but not the general that Totti is. Totally different players. Same class....but different impact on the game.

v00d00daddy
08-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't know much about Roma - but some Italian friends suggested they put out a 'B' team and still walked all over MLS - I had suggested otherwise - can anyone tell me, who knows the team if it was their 'A' team or not?

Bits of both. Definitely not their "A" team.

Ultra & Proud
08-01-2013, 08:16 AM
I was wondering while watching this match what players from international clubs or teams must think of Beckerman's lid. Early in the first half on a dead ball play it looked as though a few Roma players were bewildered his "hair".

OgtheDim
08-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Anybody else get the feeling that Vermes had no clue what to do beyond pressing and hoping forwards magically score? Without any width, looked awful out there.

I also have come to the conclusion that the best MLS team to face a European team is not an All-Star, but one built specifically to win. Apart from Beckerman, there wasn't much defensiveness in the midfield. They all looked like they were used to somebody else tracking runs.

backbeat
08-01-2013, 08:29 AM
but was the 'A' team on, if not at the same time, throughout the 90 minutes - because you could say the same for the MLS team as they were changed at the half - I know Roma is a better and quality side but it was being made out as if the MLS was a joke league - typical Euro-snob stuff - i know the MLS is not there yet but this game did it no favours!!

OgtheDim
08-01-2013, 08:41 AM
It was like watching a game in October between a top level league team and a team who were going to struggle to survive but who still insisted on attacking football (i.e. reality hadn't set in).

MLS in't a joke league. But the days when you can just throw out some players and hope for a result against organized technically superior opposition really are over. Tactics mean something. I don't expect MLS to change its approach. But, its this close to being Indonesian All Stars vs. (insert touring team here).

Detroit_TFC
08-01-2013, 08:43 AM
If I was a Roma fan I might have enjoyed that game but otherwise it was hard to watch. A real sour end note to what had been a big party in KC. IMO the MLS All-Stars vs preseason overseas team just reminds me of MLS 1.0. I don't know if its time to revive the East vs West format, maybe the league is in a better position to pull that off, it was a dud in the early days.

Unfortunately getting rid of it altogether is not an option at least while Garber is in charge.

PopePouri
08-01-2013, 08:45 AM
I think Vermes did his best to make it simple with a 4-4-2 and trying to get some combinations on the field. All the goals though came from bad communication. Also Roma was playing really well.

brad
08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
but was the 'A' team on, if not at the same time, throughout the 90 minutes - because you could say the same for the MLS team as they were changed at the half - I know Roma is a better and quality side but it was being made out as if the MLS was a joke league - typical Euro-snob stuff - i know the MLS is not there yet but this game did it no favours!!

Roma are a team. The MLS All Stars are not a team. They are a collection of individuals. Big difference.

trane
08-01-2013, 08:46 AM

It was a mixture, as voododaddy said. The back line was probably their A line, the mid was missing De Rossi, but the reality is that they have another 10 players of a similar quality to what they had on last night, Destro, Osvaldo, Lamela just to name three of the top of my head. I would say their A1 side would included De Rossi and at least two of those three. (Osvado and De Rossi may be going)

JonO
08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't understand why people put any stock in the all-star game as an indication of the state of the league. It's supposed to be entertainment, pure and simple. The problem is that throwing together 11 "all stars" and calling them a team is going to be a headache. Sometimes it will work, but more often it will look like the disjointed mess that was last night. I don't like the all star game, but as noted by Detroit TFC above, I don't think it is going anywhere so maybe a change in format would be good. East v West may become more viable as the league grows and there is more talent to select from...

OgtheDim
08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
It wasn't very entertaining as there was really only one team in it from the beginning. I would hope the days of offensive fireworks being the only thing fans are interested in are over, but then given every single player we ever get is judged on Facebook and twitter based on their ability to score goals, maybe not so much.

v00d00daddy
08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I'd agree that the game last night has nothing to do with how MLS stacks up against other leagues.

Just like last year when they beat Chelsea didn't mean a thing. You can't glean any kind of meaningful information when neither team is concerned with winning or losing.

Did anybody see the trophy presentation? The Roma players were yucking it up at the idea of there even being a trophy.

It's a display for the fans to see some good players having fun and not taking things too seriously. I don't think it made MLS look bad at all.

SoccMan2
08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
However, the MLS Allstars have beaten teams like Chelsea and others in past allstar games, so what can one make of these games, its just enternainment as was already stated. If an NHL team goes to Sweden and plays an allstar team from the Swedish elite league and wins, it would be expected or loses it would still mean nothing, it would be similar to this. For me it's just a great thing that the MLS is growing off the field, just look at the atmosphere a great stadium and in a city where the MLS was having trouble just a few years back and from what I hear from a friend there was great build up throughout the week in the city to this game . Just a few years back no one would have imagined a pro soccer league here in North America would be where this league is today, having most of it's teams playing in their own stadiums and many having very healthy attendance numbers. This what an allstar game is about to showcase the positives of the league the result the score is almost irelevant win or lose.

Milanista
08-01-2013, 09:34 AM
That midfield roma can put out is pure sex

Pjanic, Strootman, De Rossi, Bradley (hes ok, hard worker)...than u add Lamela, Totti, Osvaldo, Benatia...they are gonna have a tough team this season, serie a will be fun to watch

69Chevy396
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Roma are a team. The MLS All Stars are not a team. They are a collection of individuals. Big difference.

I don't know about that. Imagine a Serie A all star team facing a contending MLS team, do you think there would be a big difference? Many of the players on Roma were relatively new to the team, others new to Serie A. It is preseason for them, not like they have been playing together for a year. The differences last night were, as others have repeated here, mostly technical ability: and for those who use that tired comment of Euro Snob, this is tantamount to saying "I like watching the London Knights, not the snobs who watch the NHL".

Fort York Redcoat
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
This thread x1000000 is why the Don makes these games happen. Buzz. Enjoy. If that's your thing...

Milanista
08-01-2013, 10:12 AM

I hate Inter but keep and eye on Belfodil and Icardi...they paid a lot for them but they can be world class players

brad
08-01-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't know about that. Imagine a Serie A all star team facing a contending MLS team, do you think there would be a big difference? Many of the players on Roma were relatively new to the team, others new to Serie A. It is preseason for them, not like they have been playing together for a year. The differences last night were, as others have repeated here, mostly technical ability: and for those who use that tired comment of Euro Snob, this is tantamount to saying "I like watching the London Knights, not the snobs who watch the NHL".

I do actually. It's a team game and chemistry matters a lot. That's not to say that the quality of the players does not matter, and I do suspect that a Serie A all team would still win 9 time out of 10. Need I remind you what a team of inferior yet well disciplined quality Greek players accomplished in 2004 as an example of what a group of lower caliber players playing as a unit can accomplish?

Technical ability last night was big. So were tactics - Roma were way more disciplined and shut the midfield down effectively. The other difference is that the All Stars did not have a balanced team. They had 5 forwards and virtually no defensive presences in the middle of the park at one point.

69Chevy396
08-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I do actually. It's a team game and chemistry matters a lot. That's not to say that the quality of the players does not matter, and I do suspect that a Serie A all team would still win 9 time out of 10. Need I remind you what a team of inferior yet well disciplined quality Greek players accomplished in 2004 as an example of what a group of lower caliber players playing as a unit can accomplish?

Technical ability last night was big. So were tactics - Roma were way more disciplined and shut the midfield down effectively. The other difference is that the All Stars did not have a balanced team. They had 5 forwards and virtually no defensive presences in the middle of the park at one point.

i understand, but having watched the entire game, I would have given a different assessment. The best MLS defenders were beaten one on one all night long, were caught out of position frequently, and looked nervous on the ball. When they do this in a regular MLS game it does not come back to bite them so much, they can get away with these mistakes. What we saw last night was one side making the normal mistakes we normally associate with this league. Besides, they did not have forwards out all game, the entire roster was subbed off and Roma handled anything that came out of the gate. The best MLS player was the guy who scored for them, the worst was his bald headed partner who spent all game taunting Totti. It was really pathetic, and I do think it was a good idea to play Roma just to give us a shot of reality, and perhaps this will help improve the league.

jloome
08-01-2013, 11:25 AM
It was like watching a game in October between a top level league team and a team who were going to struggle to survive but who still insisted on attacking football (i.e. reality hadn't set in).

MLS in't a joke league. But the days when you can just throw out some players and hope for a result against organized technically superior opposition really are over. Tactics mean something. I don't expect MLS to change its approach. But, its this close to being Indonesian All Stars vs. (insert touring team here).

And technique. The biggest gulf in class to me was the individual player technique. Even top MLS players trapped sloppily, had poor first touches, poor weight on passes.

MLS is a league full of hard-working, gifted athletes. But the level of the game played by Roma was in a different class: better movement off the ball, much better interplay and positional choreography leading to open space and open space passes, stronger faster, larger players (for the most part.) It was like they took the best player MLS ever produced -- a Dempsey or an Altidore -- and cloned eleven of them.

YOu don't really see the technique differential when its two top teams against each other, but boy it showed last night. Watching Omar Gonzalez trap a ball makes baby Jesus cry.

Phil
08-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Its funny, I watched it and thought how silly the whole concept of an All Star game is for 'soccer'. Throwing together the talent is fine, but there is no team to identify and understand the players you play with.

When you watch Roma play, its obvious they know who their key contributers are and how they play. They all know their system and executed it well. They went out, played their game and did a great job against a highly talented but poorly fielded team.

jloome
08-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Imagine how the A-league all-stars feel after getting hammered 5-1.

OfficeGuy
08-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I agree with that....they should make it much more of a spectacle than focusing on the result of the game....I'd like to see an East West kind of thing like in the NBA

trane
08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
i understand, but having watched the entire game, I would have given a different assessment. The best MLS defenders were beaten one on one all night long, were caught out of position frequently, and looked nervous on the ball. When they do this in a regular MLS game it does not come back to bite them so much, they can get away with these mistakes. What we saw last night was one side making the normal mistakes we normally associate with this league. Besides, they did not have forwards out all game, the entire roster was subbed off and Roma handled anything that came out of the gate. The best MLS player was the guy who scored for them, the worst was his bald headed partner who spent all game taunting Totti. It was really pathetic, and I do think it was a good idea to play Roma just to give us a shot of reality, and perhaps this will help improve the league.

What a Serie A team "all star" team would have as an advantage, is even if they never played together as a group they would still all know pretty much what is expected of them in the role that is assigined for them that night. Tactical awareness and on field discipline ( in terms of playing in your roll is high).

TFC07
08-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree with that....they should make it much more of a spectacle than focusing on the result of the game....I'd like to see an East West kind of thing like in the NBA

MLS doesn't have many star power in their league. So playing east vs west would be boring from fans POV.