PDA

View Full Version : Laba's wage / dp status?

MartinUtd
07-29-2013, 10:44 AM
With all the talk about 4 DP's being a part of the plan despite there only being 3 spots available, it got me thinking: Is Laba actually a DP or have we just used designated player status as a way to pay off his transfer fee and then next season his wages will fall under the cap?

It seems less likely that we'll trade an asset like allocation money or a squad player for a limited time 4t DP spot. IIRC Laba is only on $200k this season, but who knows if there's part of a wage bill being rolled up in the transfer fee or if his old club had partially compensated him.

Anyone have insight on where we stand in terms of wages and available roster spots?

(this seems like a separate enough tangent that it doesn't belong in the transfer rumours thread, but feel free to move it)

mowe
07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Laba is a DP because of his transfer fee, but I believe transfer fees are applied over the course of the contract. Meaning he'll stay a DP next year too. This 4th DP spot is coming from Payne's comment that there will be a new rule announced soon, and Rudi Schuller has tweeted that he heard its a new young DP spot being added. We'll probably hear more about it during the All Star game.

pdogg
07-29-2013, 11:00 AM
A young DP is about half the cap hit of a regular DP, depending on age, correct? It would make sense for them to allow a team to swap out one DP slot for two young DP slots. So instead of 3 DPs (all types) you could have two regular DPs and two young DPs, or 1 DP and 3-4 young DPs, depending on how the rules shakeout. That's what I think they're alluding to in the rule change, but that's just guessing.

Red I
07-29-2013, 11:08 AM
A young DP is about half the cap hit of a regular DP, depending on age, correct? It would make sense for them to allow a team to swap out one DP slot for two young DP slots. So instead of 3 DPs (all types) you could have two regular DPs and two young DPs, or 1 DP and 3-4 young DPs, depending on how the rules shakeout. That's what I think they're alluding to in the rule change, but that's just guessing.

This actually makes some sense... maybe change the rule from a 3 person limit to a "Cap-Hit" limit that can be spread by young DP's??

MartinUtd
07-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Laba is a DP because of his transfer fee, but I believe transfer fees are applied over the course of the contract. Meaning he'll stay a DP next year too. This 4th DP spot is coming from Payne's comment that there will be a new rule announced soon, and Rudi Schuller has tweeted that he heard its a new young DP spot being added. We'll probably hear more about it during the All Star game.

Interesting. That makes a lot of sense or otherwise it would be very easy to circumvent the rules with front loaded contacts.