PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,July, 29

Nerepis
07-29-2013, 05:03 AM
Mornin' Everyone.

Toronto FC shouldn't share stadium with Argonauts (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/28/toronto-fc-shouldnt-share-stadium-with-argonauts)

TFC/MLS blogs thread (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread/page41)

Sunshine Girl (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

TOBOR !
07-29-2013, 09:11 AM
mornin' N.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Because there's not enough Anti-CFL sentiment already...

This should go over like like a tonne of bricks.

One thing I'd like to spotlight:

What says culture more than a stadium specific for one sport? There's no going back without going backwards on this.

tfcleeds
07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
With Hizzoner Ford's latest musings on the subject, it would seem he favours a groundshare with the Argos. However, in view of his track record of actually getting stuff done, I don't think we have to worry.

OgtheDim
07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Grimes is another councillor who doesn't get that other football. Although there really isn't a soccer supporter on council, I don't think this is going to fly; given Lieweke's musings about making TFC a better stadium to grab more revenue, I can't see this happening under his watch.

Ultimately, the Argos are a money loser being supported by a guy who owns two teams, both of them with red ink. The only teams that make money are in Alberta, the Green Riders and Montreal; Winnipeg might do better this year with a new stadium.

Beach_Red
07-29-2013, 10:12 AM
But right now it looks like the Argos may have more potential to make money than TFC. TV ratings for the CFL are good across the country, Montreal shows what a good downtown stadium can do, Hamilton is getting a new stadium and Ottawa is coming back.

For the first time we're lucky that MLSE owns TFC - anyone else and the team would be gone by now (of course, you could say that if anyone else owned the team it would be better and this wouldn't be an issue, but it really doesn't look like anyone else wants to spend money owning an MLS team in Toronto).

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2013, 10:37 AM
But right now it looks like the Argos may have more potential to make money than TFC. TV ratings for the CFL are good across the country, Montreal shows what a good downtown stadium can do, Hamilton is getting a new stadium and Ottawa is coming back.

For the first time we're lucky that MLSE owns TFC - anyone else and the team would be gone by now (of course, you could say that if anyone else owned the team it would be better and this wouldn't be an issue, but it really doesn't look like anyone else wants to spend money owning an MLS team in Toronto).

Yes but is it enough money to make the Argos appealing to an owner? I can't wish them anything but luck in finding a home elsewhere.

After so many years of being a secondary or tertiary afterthought in a stadium sharing and multiple failures at moving to an all-gridiron stadium I think it's a damn shame if this proposition means the death of our SSS at BMO.

Red I
07-29-2013, 10:43 AM
... just a thought, but maybe sell BMO Field to the Argos when they build TFC a better stadium... one with a roof. 2 year plan starting now - as much as i love the location, the facilities are average at best. I have no idea where it would go though...

EDIT: CFL getting good coin thanks to Americans realizing how boring baseball is, and having really no other options (hence contracts with American sports stations) - also the CFL showcases a lot of American talent that had some good college careers but coudn't make it to the show in the states. Depending on how viewership goes this year, i think still a question mark if revenue potential continues upward

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
... just a thought, but maybe sell BMO Field to the Argos when they build TFC a better stadium... one with a roof. 2 year plan starting now - as much as i love the location, the facilities are average at best. I have no idea where it would go though...

And build where? It's what the Argos are dealing with right now...

Building a stadium is expensive and no team wants to take it onto themselves. It's why stadium sharing is the norm in NA.

The "Cookie Cutter Stadium" BMO we complain about only got built with several parties(partners) and events involved.

jloome
07-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Mornin' Everyone.

Toronto FC shouldn't share stadium with Argonauts (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/28/toronto-fc-shouldnt-share-stadium-with-argonauts)

TFC/MLS blogs thread (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread/page41)

Sunshine Girl (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

And according to Soccer by Ives, the third-place finisher this week for rookie of the year was from our game: Columbus's Will Trapp.

I shit you not. http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/07/rookie-dillon-powers-5.html#comment-1242846

Ignorant fucking yankees.

v00d00daddy
07-29-2013, 10:57 AM
And according to Soccer by Ives, the third-place finisher this week for rookie of the year was from our game: Columbus's Will Trapp.

I shit you not. http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/07/rookie-dillon-powers-5.html#comment-1242846

Ignorant fucking yankees.

I've been avoiding saying anything negative about the win on Saturday because I'm so happy they managed to pull it off but I saw your comment there. I agree that if Trapp got votes then it should be a no brainer that Osorio be recognized too.

That being said, I think Osorio's goal masked his (up until the goal) ineffectiveness in the middle of the park. Once he was moved in to the middle of the field he seemed to disappear. That's not say that he can't be a great CM in the future, but I didn't see the dominant midfield performance that you mentioned. I'm not a stats guy and I respect your view on the games so I checked out the chalkboard for the game to see if I was out there on my assessment.

His chalkboard numbers don't look great for the game.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-07-27-TOR-v-CLB/chalkboard

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks N.

Beach_Red
07-29-2013, 11:16 AM
It's why stadium sharing is the norm in NA.

What do you mean, 'the norm in NA?' How many stadiums are currently shared?

tfcleeds
07-29-2013, 11:21 AM
What do you mean, 'the norm in NA?' How many stadiums are currently shared?I can only think of one for the NFL/MLB off the top of my head (Oakland). And now as far as MLS/NFL is concerned, only one (New England). Of course, when it comes to indoor facilities, many more teams share.

__wowza
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
afternoon nerp!

spark
07-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I've been avoiding saying anything negative about the win on Saturday because I'm so happy they managed to pull it off but I saw your comment there. I agree that if Trapp got votes then it should be a no brainer that Osorio be recognized too.

That being said, I think Osorio's goal masked his (up until the goal) ineffectiveness in the middle of the park. Once he was moved in to the middle of the field he seemed to disappear. That's not say that he can't be a great CM in the future, but I didn't see the dominant midfield performance that you mentioned. I'm not a stats guy and I respect your view on the games so I checked out the chalkboard for the game to see if I was out there on my assessment.

His chalkboard numbers don't look great for the game.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-07-27-TOR-v-CLB/chalkboard

Look up Laba's "defensive" stats on that chalkboard is pretty cool - he is bossing the area 5-10 yards in front of the 18-yrd box.

I think anyone paired up with him will struggle for influence right now until there is an approach that involves a CAM. Osorio though has such determination and great confidence going towards goal that right now it's a bit of good with the bad waiting for him to make the runs we saw on Saturday, against Philly or LA.

Alonso
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
I can only think of one for the NFL/MLB off the top of my head (Oakland). And now as far as MLS/NFL is concerned, only one (New England). Of course, when it comes to indoor facilities, many more teams share.

There's also Seattle and Vancouver I do believe who share with pointy ball...

TOBOR !
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
D'oh - mods please merge this thread with the other (apologies - didn't see it).

[NBF]
07-29-2013, 11:52 AM
There's a decent outside shot that TFC and Argos will share BMO Field. :drinking:

tfcleeds
07-29-2013, 11:54 AM
There's also Seattle and Vancouver I do believe who share with pointy ball...D'oh, forgot about those two!

David_Oliveira
07-29-2013, 12:01 PM
I actually did my c.e.t technical report on finding and building the Argos a stadium. Found a few potential spots including 3 downtown for a 25k stadium with enough parking to meet the bylaw standards among a few other bylaws

Red I
07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I actually did my c.e.t technical report on finding and building the Argos a stadium. Found a few potential spots including 3 downtown for a 25k stadium with enough parking to meet the bylaw standards among a few other bylaws

I think this shows plans for a new stadium are more improbable than they are impossible... As long as the plans don't limit or destroy whatever greenspace we have in this city, there are probably some viable options for a stadium, however limited those options are

OgtheDim
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Thinking it through, for CFL to work at BMO would require an additional 25 yards on either end (assuming they let them get away with the BC place allowance of a 20 yard end zone). The north end can't handle that safely; you'd be up against the Food building. So, it would all have to be in the south. Which would require the whole axis of the stadium to be reconfigured.

We are basically talking a complete stadium redo. Why would MLSE go for that?

It is cheaper for the Argos to build their own, out in Brampton or Mississauga or up in Markham or somehow in Downsview.

WestStandGeoff
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Thinking it through, for CFL to work at BMO would require an additional 25 yards on either end (assuming they let them get away with the BC place allowance of a 20 yard end zone). The north end can't handle that safely; you'd be up against the Food building. So, it would all have to be in the south. Which would require the whole axis of the stadium to be reconfigured.

It is cheaper for the Argos to build their own, out in Brampton or Mississauga or up in Markham or somehow in Downsview.

This.

And if they wanted to keep the north stand position fixed and push out the south stand to make room for a CFL sized field, the seating arrangement wouldn't line up with mid-field anymore (ie. the premium seating, and the luxury boxes would be skewed 25-yards to one side of the field).

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
What do you mean, 'the norm in NA?' How many stadiums are currently shared?

Added to the ones above are others that share with NCAA presently.

and as always I'm concentrating on Canada where they try and share as many facilities as possible.

Richard
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm sick and tiered of the Argo's to BMO story. Didn't TFC do something to make BMO very expensive for them to move in. Sheesh.

Edit: Probably grass.

Cashcleaner
07-29-2013, 01:01 PM

This.

And if they wanted to keep the north stand position fixed and push out the south stand to make room for a CFL sized field, the seating arrangement wouldn't line up with mid-field anymore (ie. the premium seating, and the luxury boxes would be skewed 25-yards to one side of the field).

Yep. Demolishing part of BMO Field and rebuilding to accommodate a CFL field would be extremely expensive and time-consuming. I just don't see a good return on the investment here. This idea has never made a lot of sense to me. The Argos would be stuck in stadium that barely meets the CFL's standards and with a nonsensical seating layout.

OgtheDim
07-29-2013, 01:09 PM
To be clear, for the CFL to play at BMO would require a COMPLETE stadium redo. All of the west, south and east sides would have to be rebuilt. And the North would be reconfigured as the sightlines would be horrid for CFL.

Oh, and another thing, David Braley, owner of the Argos, is incredibly tight fisted. No way he pays for any of this.

So, it would all be on the city, the province, the feds or MLSE to do this. No way. No more money for a stadium. I'm ticked at the Ti-Cats getting a stadium out of the Pan Am games, and I'm a Ti-Cat fan since I was 6.

No, this is Rob Ford taking his private views on a need and some councillor running his mouth off without thinking it through.

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Columbus Crew - "major announcement" tomorrow at noon. Warzycha getting the sack?

tfcleeds
07-29-2013, 02:37 PM
^Maybe Forlan decided to sign with them. :hide:

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Word on the street is it isn't about Warzycha. Hunt Sports Group bringing in some local owners as partners. Nothing to see, go back to your homes...

dantdot
07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Columbus Crew - "major announcement" tomorrow at noon. Warzycha getting the sack?

Lose to TFC? That's a paddlin'. He's done.

TOBOR !
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Word on the street is it isn't about Warzycha. Hunt Sports Group bringing in some local owners as partners. Nothing to see, go back to your homes...

^ this

Adam Jardy‏@AdamJardy25m
From what I'm hearing, tomorrow's announcement will NOT concern #crew96 HC Robert Warzycha.

Redcoe15
07-29-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't see why the suburbs can't build a stadium for the Argos. FFS, it'd be a lot cheaper than that soon to be white elephant of an NHL arena Markham is going to build.

Huyton
07-29-2013, 05:18 PM
In October, 2004 it was announeced that was going to be a shared stadium built at York University (This was after UofT backed out of a downtown stadium).

However, the Rogers Centre offered the Argos a sweetheart deal in 2005 and they took it, almost screwing us out of the FIFA U17 World Cup, and MLS. Sort term gain for long term pain.

The Argos can rot in Hell. They've been around for 100 years, and they still don't have their own home.