PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Citizen article about the All-Star protest

Jack
07-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Finally, a reporter who gets it. Fuck you Cathal Kelly :cool:

[/URL]

Fans don't back pitch invasion

Supporters of Toronto FC aren't going to stand for a proposal by the CFL to share the MLS club's home with the Argos.

Richard Starnes, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Saturday, July 19, 2008
Most of us soccer fans consider Toronto's BMO Field a national emblem for the Canadian game, a glittering example of the dramatic growth of the game here.
Since Toronto FC became the latest member of the Major League Soccer family on April 28, 2007, every game has been sold out -- or very nearly so.
Toronto fans are the envy of the league and playing in Toronto is a serious hazard for every visiting team. Their vibrant support would do justice to any club ground in the world.
For the full story, [URL="http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=c4e3d600-4963-435f-abb1-c68f86a2c248"]CLICK HERE (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=c4e3d600-4963-435f-abb1-c68f86a2c248)

TFC Cityboy
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
nice article....reminds me I need to scour some sports shops tomorrow for a Hammers shirt.

Stugatzo
07-20-2008, 07:08 AM
nice article....reminds me I need to scour some sports shops tomorrow for a Hammers shirt.

Good luck with that!!
Can't even find them on-line. Not usually top sellers so they tend to produce limited quantities. Been looking for a couple weeks.
:(:noidea:

Kooper
07-20-2008, 08:14 AM
"We have nothing against the Argos," he says. "But Toronto FC fans signed up in thousands to support this team based on the premise of it being a soccer-specific stadium with real grass and an intimate setting. We didn't get the grass. We better keep the intimate setting.

I know what he means but it reads as if the soccer specific stadium played some part in his decision to support the team. I think even if we had to share we would get over it and support them regardless. I know I would.

"The Argos' lease is coming up and they are sniffing around for other options," he says. "That's wise negotiating tactics. I understand the (Rogers Centre) lease is virtually free. So they will tell the Argos: 'You guys are not at death's door any more and you can afford a higher rent'."

Rogers also only paid 30 million for the Sky Dome. I am sure taxes are high but losing that much hot dog, beer and parking revenue would be costly. Hopefully it is just the Argos playing hard ball. Even if they had to pay 300K to rent the sky dome per game it would take them 100 games or 5 years to pay off the 30 million the argos would have to pay to renovate BMO and that is without factoring the rent the argos would have to pay at BMO.

Hopefully this is just talk.

CoachGT
07-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Great article!

Mark in Ottawa
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Richard Starnes is a fine writer and we are lucky to have him in Ottawa.

NF-FC
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Q-a69_Hm3gI&feature=related

Dave67
07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Great article, but can't resist..

"It would be the equivalent of playing North American football at Wembley Stadium."

http://www.nfllondon2007.com/

The New York Giants ran out with a 13-10 win at Wembley Stadium, and although the English weather conspired against them, the Giants say that they would return to London and play here any day.

Fort York Redcoat
07-21-2008, 02:01 PM
:mad5:To the delight of all England players and supporters?:mad5: