PDA

View Full Version : Anselmi Gone?

Canary10
07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Couldn't resist posting this now. The deets will be out later, but the speculation is Anselmi will be out after Leiweke's shake up of MLSE today. I for one will be firmly on team Leiweke if this is true.

Pint
07-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Does the coch survive?

Wince
07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
+1 :hump:

Canary10
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Of course I spelled his name wrong in the title....

ProfessorDamage
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
That hopefully means Cockring and Beirne are gone too. Man oh man, this could be better for the club than any over-the-hill DP signings.

Canary10
07-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Here's the article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/major-housecleaning-looms-as-leiweke-overhauls-mlse/article13384375/

v00d00daddy
07-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Of course I spelled his name wrong in the title....

Hahaha. It's okay. Anslime(y) would have worked too.

I hope you're right about Lieweke making those changes.

NolbertoS
07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Here's the article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/major-housecleaning-looms-as-leiweke-overhauls-mlse/article13384375/

Can you paste the article. I ran out of my free globe and mail viewing this month :(

OgtheDim
07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
If Bierne and Cochrane go too...

Anselmi was always on the outs the day the Christmas Tree Builder showed up at a board meeting and was blind sided by Burke's firing.

KP is the board's choice, BTW.

He's not going anywhere.

Canary10
07-24-2013, 08:51 AM
The next stage in the overhaul of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. is expected to claim several top executives, as president and chief executive officer Tim Leiweke shakes up the senior ranks of the organization, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The changes could be announced as early as Wednesday, and would follow the firing of Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo and several bold pronouncements by Mr. Leiweke – including a planned Stanley Cup parade route.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY

MLSE to look at upgrading BMO Field
Leiweke unwilling to judge Toronto FC brain trust mid-season
MLSE boss looks to give fans a reason to be in their seats when the puck drops

A source Tuesday described the looming moves as “a fairly major housecleaning,” involving major names just below the level of CEO.

Mr. Leiweke said via e-mail it was “not appropriate to comment.” Another source with ties to MLSE, speaking on the condition their identity would not be disclosed, said: “There will be dismissals and responsibility changes.”

Changes in the MLSE executive suite have been expected since Mr. Leiweke assumed control of MLSE, owner of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs, the NBA’s Raptors, Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC and the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

He was given a mandate to reverse years of under-performance by MLSE teams, and to increase the value of the company while focusing on core assets.

The Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 46 years – they made the playoffs this season for the first time since 2004 and were eliminated in seven games by the Boston Bruins in the first round – while the Raptors are in a five-year drought. TFC used to be the hottest ticket in town, but BMO Field is seldom full these days as the team struggles through a 2-10-8 season and hasn’t won a league home game in over a year.

Forbes has valued the company at being worth more than $2.25-billion, which makes it a huge financial player on the North American sports scene.

Mr. Leiweke was named to head MLSE on April 26, replacing Tom Anselmi, who held the title of president and chief operating officer when Richard Peddie left the company. Mr. Anselmi was not given the title of CEO, and Mr. Leiweke was an early front-runner for the job after leaving the Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) in mid-March.

Mr. Leiweke moved quickly to put his imprimatur on MLSE, replacing Mr. Colangelo with reigning NBA executive of the year Masai Ujiri. Mr. Colangelo was given a largely ceremonial title and eventually walked away from that position – and has made several pronouncements since formally moving into his office at the end of June.

Mr. Leiweke ruffled feathers with suggestions the Leafs needed to moderate the exuberance with which they celebrate their history after 46 years without a Stanley Cup, going so far as to suggest that black-and-white photographs of Leafs greats of the past should be removed from the hallways at the event level of the Air Canada Centre. He has talked about bringing in a big-name international soccer star to rouse the TFC out of its torpor.

Mr. Leiweke, who has shown himself to be a larger-than-life personality in the sports and entertainment business going back to his days with AEG, appeared to moderate his stand on the photographs in a subsequent interview with The Canadian Press, saying: “I think we could use our history and our tradition to build a legacy. But I think at the end of the day if we want to win a Cup, what we’re going to have to do is we’re going to have to find a team that wants to be the guys in those pictures as we walk down the hallway. That’s all that was meant to do. And if I said it in an improper way or did something to offend people, I absolutely apologize. That’s not what I’m trying to do.”

MLSE is 75-per-cent owned by communications giants Bell Media and Rogers Communications, Ltd., with the remaining 25 per cent in the hands of chairman Larry Tanenbaum’s holding company. It also owns three TV networks – Leafs TV, NBA TV Canada and Gol-TV Canada – and has several real-estate holdings.

With reports from Robert MacLeod

Phil
07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
A shakeup is on the way, that much was very clear after our chat at the beginning of the month.

In any organization, when you put a guy in at this level and given the state of all of the teams and their underperformance....huge changes will ensue. I do think TFC reacted accordingly with the hiring of Payne but when you see all the franchises doing the same thing, you really have to look a bit deeper.

TOBOR !
07-24-2013, 08:53 AM
I haven't read the article yet, but I assume you mean he just got another promotion...

NolbertoS
07-24-2013, 09:00 AM
I haven't read the article yet, but I assume you mean he just got another promotion...

Anselmi has reached his ceiling of getting promoted. There's only one way for him and thats down. I'm curious to know what "ceremonial" title they'll give Anselmi, but knowing Anselmi he'll resign and look for another sports conglomerate to be CEO

OgtheDim
07-24-2013, 09:04 AM
I think Anselmi will find a job in the construction industry waiting for him; it is where he came from remember. He is very talented at getting condo projects built.

Canary10
07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I think Anselmi will find a job in the construction industry waiting for him; it is where he came from remember. He is very talented at getting condo projects built.

Exactly. It's about time someone asked the question why an engineer is running a sports and entertainment company.

Super
07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Anselmi will likely stay with MLSE, but will focus almost entirely on their real estate portfolio. He's done well in that space, just not running the sports teams.

Shakes McQueen
07-24-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't really care if Beirne goes with them, nor do I really get why anyone else cares, beyond an overly simplistic "clear everybody out!" viewpoint. On the other hand, I'll pack Tom and Earl's bags for them.

- Scott

tfcleeds
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
The writing was on the wall for Anselmi when Leiweke was hired. Not really too surprising if he goes. I think he would have left on his own accord anyways after a couple of years.

Voodooman
07-24-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't really care if Beirne goes with them, nor do I really get why anyone else cares, beyond an overly simplistic "clear everybody out!" viewpoint. On the other hand, I'll pack Tom and Earl's bags for them.

- Scott

If those two go, I will hop on the TTC instantly and help you haha

Oldtimer
07-24-2013, 09:17 AM

- Scott

+1

now this quote is interesting...

involving major names just below the level of CEO.

That has to mean Anselmi is gone:

http://attherails.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/anselmi.jpg?w=500&h=281

Time for ensco to post a final Fake Tom wrap-up entry.

Canary10
07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Can a moderator or someone fix the thread title for me? I hate spelling mistakes.

Oldtimer
07-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Can a moderator or someone fix the thread title for me? I hate spelling mistakes.

Fixed it for you. Was tempted for a minute to change it to "Salami" :lol: Refresh your screen (F5) to see the new title.

Canary10
07-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Fixed it for you. Was tempted for a minute to change it to "Salami" :lol: Refresh your screen (F5) to see the new title.

Lol. At least then people would think it's intentional.

ManUtd4ever
07-24-2013, 09:54 AM
At this point, I don't necessarily wish to see Anselmi lose his job with the organization, considering that he no longer has any influence with respect to executive decisions regarding TFC. As for Earl Cochrane, I'd volunteer to drive him to the airport.

TFC_Allez
07-24-2013, 10:42 AM
I am of the "clear them all out" mentality. If Anselmi goes, I hope Cockring...I mean Cochrane, and Beirne go with him. Get rid of all the rotten eggs in one shot. After 7 years of this shit, I'm amazed they weren't the first group to be shown the door when Lieweke came to town. This speaks more so to our city's love of mediocrity than anything else.

Whether Anselmi still has a say in TFC at any level or not, after years of failure across all MLSE franchises, he doesn't deserve to have any sort of influence anymore. I hope he's done and it'll be a step in the right direction...finally.

Richard
07-24-2013, 10:44 AM
I think 99.9% of people wouldn't hate Anselmi if he never had control over TFC. Just let him do the real estate job, at this point though TL might think its just better to clear house. As for the Cock and Beirne, wouldn't you want Payne making the decision on them?

spark
07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Here's hoping TFC will have three new scouts by the end of the week.

Canary10
07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I think 99.9% of people wouldn't hate Anselmi if he never had control over TFC. Just let him do the real estate job, at this point though TL might think its just better to clear house. As for the Cock and Beirne, wouldn't you want Payne making the decision on them?

That's probably true, but also like saying 99.9% of people wouldn't hate Stephen Harper if he was never the Prime Minister of Canada.

Dave67
07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm okay with Paul Bierne going if only for his stupid 'supply and demand' quote.

Oldtimer
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Official announcement, continue in this thread:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34583-MLSE-reorg-announced