PDA

View Full Version : The great RYAN obviously um.....and um......NELSEN thread!

DutchGerard
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes, this man deserves his own thread and I couldn't find one yet!

What do we think of him?

Personally I think he has no clue what he's doing and he regrets having taken on this job already. He's just so inexperienced and just walked right off the pitch and put a suit on and continued coaching straight away. This is a horrible mistake from the GM and not Ryan's fault. But he now has a shit-start to his coaching career cause he just has no clue (yet) about tactics and makes rookie mistakes. Coaches in the MLS should always have at least 3 years experience on a decent level, it's not a playing ground! I do think TFC will let him finish this season, but I believe next year he will have a rotten start again and then he will be fired. Sadly it will be yet another season lost then.

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Our team is starting to play better, especially through the midfield, and we are sporting the best defensive numbers we've had since the Prekster got dumped. We are thin in the attacking front and hopefully with some better personel that can fix itself somewhat. His tactics aren't flashy total football but it's nowhere near Mariner Hoofball and is something that can work in MLS. Nelsen needs to better manage his substitutions and to learn to quit crying about the officiating and he'll be fine.

And if you look around MLS, a lot of managers have been appointed who have done alright that have no MLS experience (when they started).

Oldtimer
07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
What do we think of him?

Who is "we?" You are a guest on our board. You register as a new user, then launch an immediate attack on the coach. That is pretty unusual behaviour. Maybe you should introduce yourself, and tell us a bit about yourself. Have you come to any of the Red Patch Boy tailgates or events? Do we know you?

TFC07
07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
He's too defensive and conservative with his tactics, but I think that might have to do with lack of talent we have on this team. Once we get bunch of talented players, then it will be interesting to see how Nelsen adjust his tactics.

Ivy
07-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Who is "we?" You are a guest on our board. You register as a new user, then launch an immediate attack on the coach. That is pretty unusual behaviour. Maybe you should introduce yourself, and tell us a bit about yourself. Have you come to any of the Red Patch Boy tailgates or events? Do we know you?
Thank you.
Really annoyed of people bashing this team on every move, action, word, or play they do.

ensco
07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
I like him. I think he knows soccer and is a leader of men.

I think the stuff about tactics is way overrated. The players need to gel. It takes a year or more.

Managing is about evaluating and deploying talent. Nelsen has nothing to work with. He is not responsible for our cap and personnel issues (Payne owns the failed loans, not Nelsen).

I think people who compare Winter favourably to Nelsen are misguided. Winter's teams were clearly disorganized. Nelsen's are organized but talentless hacks. (Luckless too.)

I think several of Nelsen's public statements have been unwise (especially the recent ones about the new signings, the manager never needs to sell tickets), I chalk that up to rookie mistakes.

He is a keeper.

boozilla
07-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Who is "we?" You are a guest on our board. You register as a new user, then launch an immediate attack on the coach. That is pretty unusual behaviour.

I know, but we were all new once. Despite it's ham-fisted origin, this could be worthwhile thread.

Nelson is learning on the job, but is more of a realist than previous comers. He lacks Mariner's arrogance and Winter's illusions. Sure, some of the last minute ties / losses early on can be chalked up him making bad substitutions or none at all, but given what he has had to work with, he is not the problem.

OgtheDim
07-23-2013, 10:05 PM

Personally I think he has no clue what he's doing and he regrets having taken on this job already.....

A poor interpretation on both counts.

He looks like he has reached the plateau where a new worker in a field realises they can do the job, have figured out that they don't know enough and are purposefully working and feeling their way towards the knowledge and practice necessary to do the job really well.

Anytime I had a staff member who I saw reached this phase, I knew I had succeeded in getting a good one.

He's definately a keeper.

Gilberto9
07-23-2013, 10:06 PM
The main problems Nelsen is having is his ability to pick the team and make proper in game substitutions.

TOBOR !
07-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Steady on, OT. Etiquette be damned, some folk lurk without posting, some offer comments in the odd thread, this fellow jumped in at the deep end by starting a thread.

I'm sure you meant no harm, but let's not be chasing off new posters just because they may have a view not shared by some.

T-boy
07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Even the most talanted football manager couldn't get many good results with the bunch of useless overpaid guys that Nelson inherited. Add to that a complete lack of scouting, and professionalism with the FO staff (leaking possible incoming players left right and centre, not keeping anything secret at all) then you really inherit a great pile of poop!

Given the circumstances, I think Nelson has done as well as most managers would do given all these restrictions to his early days as a new head coach. I'd love to see what he could do with some actual talent throughout the team, and I think he deserves the chance to do that in the future at the club. He's a keeper, I have absolutely no doubt.

Laurignano
07-24-2013, 02:01 AM
I can't blame Nelson. He's a good guy, with a good heart and wants to provide us with the best team and best results. Unfortunately, it will take him time to get there. Sometimes I wish he didn't say some things (such as other teams being scared of us after we sort out our salary cap) but I believe he does it with the best intentions.

Tactics he can learn, but what I think is a major bonus for him is he understands the league!! Honestly, I give him this whole year as a write off. I don't want to see another coaching change for the next 3 years to add some stability to our club.

Fort York Redcoat
07-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Ho hum. Point me to a thread that is destined to be a positive one about a first year coach of a struggling team.

-Yes he didn't hire himself.
-Yes he didn't inherit a winner.
-Yes he will make tactics and formation decisions some of us, the footie watching not EPL playing, public might make.

Your sarcastic title does nothing for me.

Wince
07-24-2013, 07:53 AM
a leader of men.

Nailed it. From out here on the East Coast, I got the impression that Winter was too nice and soft spoken, Mariner was an a$$, and Preki was a dictator (again, just impressions gleaned from afar... and I didn't follow the team prior to Preki so I don't know what came before).

Nelson comes across as someone who commands respect without asking for it. He seems like a coach players want to play for... and play well!

He is a keeper.

I thought he was a defender? :D

Leedsoronto
07-24-2013, 08:07 AM
He was a defender at QPR.

v00d00daddy
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm not happy that the club chose to hire a guy who is a player, not a coach, and then name him coach.

That being said, I don't think he's been terrible and I think he deserves more time. I'm not crazy about his tactics and style of play but, as many have said, it's hard to tell what is his doing and what is a product of the lack lustre roster.

So I will have to wait. And I'll give him a longer leash than most because, frankly, I don't have much choice. What's left to do? Fire another coach?

I wish we would have kept the previous regime (minus Mariner) but we have what we have now. Last game against NYRB looked "okay". NYRB were awful but at least it was a decent performance from TFC (who were shorthanded).

Of course...this could all be quickly forgotten if/when we see another performance like the one against Chivas.

My timeline on Nelsen has nothing to do with "when he has his players". Mine starts when he believes we can be competitive. I'm not sure he believes it right now (despite him saying so) but the day will come, hopefully sooner than later, when he thinks the team has turned the corner.

Once that comes I'll be even more critical then I have been so far.

His grade is an incomplete right now.

Voodooman
07-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Yes, this man deserves his own thread and I couldn't find one yet!

What do we think of him?

Personally I think he has no clue what he's doing and he regrets having taken on this job already. He's just so inexperienced and just walked right off the pitch and put a suit on and continued coaching straight away. This is a horrible mistake from the GM and not Ryan's fault. But he now has a shit-start to his coaching career cause he just has no clue (yet) about tactics and makes rookie mistakes. Coaches in the MLS should always have at least 3 years experience on a decent level, it's not a playing ground! I do think TFC will let him finish this season, but I believe next year he will have a rotten start again and then he will be fired. Sadly it will be yet another season lost then.

What else do you expect from a rookie?

Super
07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
It's worth noting that Leiweke's LA Galaxy has a history of hiring extremely experienced coaches: Bruce Arena, Ruud Gullit, Frank Yallop, Steve Sampson, Sigi Schmid. NONE of these were rookies when offered the job. Obviously not all of them were successful either. But they've won 4 championships in history. 4 times runners-up. Not sure how Leiweke feels about his soccer team being run by a newbie. At the end of the day Leiweke is responsible at the top level. Not Nelsen. Not Payne.

IF Nelsen doesn't work out then I predict TFC will finally get its first experienced head coach. Not counting Preki who was a disaster before he got here.

cmonyoureds
07-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Well, if you look at some of the other threads containing detailed descriptions of how crap our players are, maybe he's doing the best he can with what he's got?

Burning Red
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
He has some potential but was rushed in to a head coaching job that he is out of his league in. Payne should have brought in a seasoned veteran coach with proven experience. Instead Payne went for the budget option like the CSA has done so many times with the mens national team. I think Nelson was always intended to "grow with the team", an approach I dont like. What is significant to me this season is that Nelson's and Payne's only way of improving the team is to sign new quality players that are expected to automatically raise standards. We must continually bring in new sigings, "importing" quality with them. This is fine, but only to a degree. Of coarse we need to bring in new players but whatever happened to simple coaching? To me part of being a deserved head coach is possessing the ability to make many of your existing players better, at least sometimes. Nelson does not seem to possess this ability.

I would like to see TFC send Nelson for some major coaching certification in the off season. Payne and the other can handle the rebuild with out him for a while.

Brooker
07-26-2013, 01:27 AM
He's not MoJo.

Derko
07-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I like Ryan Nelson, but I don't really like the go ultra defensive in the last 10 minutes, but i am no coach, so be it.

fergiejr
07-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't think it's Nelsen that goes ultra defensive at the end of games. I truly believe it's the players that adapt this formation. If TFC is winning, the other team is going to try their hardest to score, and it's natural for a team to go defensive...

Especially at home.
Especially when they have not won at home.
ESPECIALLY when they are known to give up late goals.

I'll tell you what I haven't seen lately, is that goal against in the last 5 minutes. That is refreshing. That is progress.

I think he's doing a good job as a manager.

Derko
07-26-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't think it's Nelsen that goes ultra defensive at the end of games. I truly believe it's the players that adapt this formation. If TFC is winning, the other team is going to try their hardest to score, and it's natural for a team to go defensive...

Especially at home.
Especially when they have not won at home.
ESPECIALLY when they are known to give up late goals.

I'll tell you what I haven't seen lately, is that goal against in the last 5 minutes. That is refreshing. That is progress.

I think he's doing a good job as a manager.

True enough:hump:

gate7
07-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Nelsen needs a mentor.

OgtheDim
07-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Nelsen needs a mentor.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have one. Most managers do. Moyes talked to Ferguson, for example.

There will be somebody he is phoning periodically to discuss how to handle situations. Could be Redknapp but more likely somebody else he has encountered in the game that he trusts.

Yohan
07-27-2013, 07:11 AM
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have one. Most managers do. Moyes talked to Ferguson, for example.

There will be somebody he is phoning periodically to discuss how to handle situations. Could be Redknapp but more likely somebody else he has encountered in the game that he trusts.
O'Leary...

DOMIN8R
07-27-2013, 07:29 AM
I like Nelson. We need to be more patient.
I preferred Winter's long term strategy for the entire franchise and not just for the first team. He may not have been a Boss in the locker room but his Ajax model might have worked out well. Klinsman convinced everyone that it would. But Tommy Boy wan't willing to see it out.
I always liked Carver's go-for-the-jugular approach to games. He wanted a team that wouldn't settle for 1 or 2 goals. He would say after games that he wished we would always go for the net and never let up. If that meant we were exposed on the counter - so be it. Not sure about the tactic but had to give him an "A" for gumption.