PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC options for a team to loan players to

Doucet3
07-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Well its kinda taken over the Morgan thread so i thought I'd start its own thread, the way i see it is we have a couple options and some that we think we have but really don't.

Options

Current NASL Team
We could sign an agreement with a team (FC Edmonton for example) and loan guys who are needing first team minutes and development like Welshman and Weideman, and guys who need a "reconditioning stint" i guess you could call it for players like Morgan

Sign an Agreement with Ottawa
Like Payne said were going to have a loan agreement with a team to help us when injury strikes hard or for getting our players better developed Ottawa would be a good team to help fill there roster and get our boys some XI playing time

MLSE get its own NASL team and use it as a development team
Seems unlikely but like all our options a possibility, some of our supporters have suggested
Hamilton - To close for the MLSE to literally and financially give its self competition thats at this time very unneeded with them already trying to keep TFC supporters
Toronto - Like Hamilton its just not viable, wouldnt make sense for MLSE to not only own and field its own direct competition but to make it a feeder club
Mississauga - Like Hamilton just not viable dosnt make sense on many levelsNiagara Falls - This is more likeable, far enough not to casue direct competition but close enough that travel isnt a disaster. I think the falls would be our better option as we could try and snake some Rochester(USL) fans from the border and some yank fans.

Any Option with the USL including Agreements or Owning a team
Simply put there not sanctioned in Canada and would be to much of a hassle to do so although the MLS does have an agreement with them, only circumvention of this is if we do a plan similar to the Falls team and out a USL team in Buffalo or even sign Rochester.

These are my own opinions with consideration taken from other posters; interested to know what you think or have heard.

Cheers:canada::scarf:

Mark in Ottawa
07-19-2013, 08:31 AM
As Ottawa will be an NASL expansion start up in 2014 it would seem a good idea for them to get a few players in on loan.
We all know how hard it is for an expansion franchise to stock up a competitive team in those first few years.

Ultra & Proud
07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
As Ottawa will be an NASL expansion start up in 2014 it would seem a good idea for them to get a few players in on loan.
We all know how hard it is for an expansion franchise to stock up a competitive team in those first seven+ years.

Fixed it for ya.

Doucet3
07-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Lol, yea i agree though i think Ottawa is our best option, Canadian team not to far that i think will benefit all of us

BuSaPuNk
07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
^ Ottawa is now probably our best bet. Before Ottawa our best would have been Charleston Battery. We already seem to have a good relationship with them.

Mark in Ottawa
07-21-2013, 09:47 AM
From the Ottawa Fury FC Website:
"Tryouts
Currently, there are no tryout opportunities for Ottawa Fury FC. The Club will begin playing in the North American Soccer League (NASL) in the 2014 season following the completion of our new 24,000 seat stadium at Lansdowne Park.

Ottawa Fury FC head coach Marc Dos Santos will begin his position with the club as of July 1, in the interim we are asking interested players to send their CV in Word or PDF format to info@ottawafury.com . The CVs will be kept on file and passed along to head coach Marc Dos Santos."

I am sure that both TFC and the Montreal Impact will be talking to Ottawa regarding the possibilities of loan deals.

goodyear
07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
NASL can in no way be a legitimate farm team for MLS clubs. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/23/mls-usl-pro-reach-deal-restructured-reserve-league . Hamilton getting USLPRO. I am surprised however with the Fury being under the USL umbrella that they are going NASL for the professional team.

prizby
07-21-2013, 02:56 PM
I heard that TFC were on the verge of an agreement with Charleston...but PM and EC axed the deal

to the above, hamilton isn't getting a usl pro...csa won't sanction a usl pro team

Richard
07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
And the CSA can go fuck themselves. Until they can prove they are capable of setting up a 2nd tier league in Canada, they should be happy players are getting development using the American USL/NASL/NCAA system.

Fort York Redcoat
07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
NASL can in no way be a legitimate farm team for MLS clubs. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/23/mls-usl-pro-reach-deal-restructured-reserve-league . Hamilton getting USLPRO. I am surprised however with the Fury being under the USL umbrella that they are going NASL for the professional team.

NASL and the USL umbrella have apparently worked out some agreement on the US soccer pyramid structure. It benefits both bodies. Congrats on making it NASL vs USL. It's definitely a cut above.

Fort York Redcoat
07-21-2013, 10:19 PM
And the CSA can go fuck themselves. Until they can prove they are capable of setting up a 2nd tier league in Canada, they should be happy players are getting development using the American USL/NASL/NCAA system.

USL would be tier 3 under MLS and NASL. But your right about CSA needed to prove they can build a league level higher than USLPDL and the former CSL.

MarkEightThree
07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Niagara Falls would be a nice location, I've never even thought of it. With all of the talk about potential NASL franchises though, NF has never come up. Hamilton has often because of the need for a second tenant at the new Tim Hortons Field. I'm not sure of the capacity, but the CSL Niagara United's Kalar Park looks pretty nice from whatever video I've seen of it. Decent video board, stands and the crowds are pretty good as well. If they use the team to serve the US/Canadian Niagara region then they might even be able to get around USSF's sanctioning cap on Canadian NASL clubs.

NolbertoS
07-22-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the Ottawa option would work great. After seeing some FC edmonton matches via web and USL matches via streams, I think being in the NASL would benefit TFC players greatly compared to the USL. Also would give Ottawa a taste of MLS exposure and marketing gimmick for up and coming TFC players not on the main squad

Mark in Ottawa
07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
NASL has been playing a split season schedule as well (they take July off I believe) and this might be an interesting wrinkle if players could be loaned out for 1/2 of the NASL campaign. A player loaned out for the first 1/2 of the NASL season who showed well could return to the parent club in July and hopefully get some action with the bigger club.

Haddy
07-22-2013, 09:57 PM
It's not the level you're looking for....but FC London has just become an official affiliate club. They're applying to join the OPDL.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/22/fc-london-hooks-up-with-toronto-fc

BuSaPuNk
07-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Probably just become a feeder club for our academy. Almost like we're outsourcing scouting in Ontario.

TFC07
07-22-2013, 10:20 PM
It's not the level you're looking for....but FC London has just become an official affiliate club. They're applying to join the OPDL.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/22/fc-london-hooks-up-with-toronto-fc

That's good news for TFCA and reverse players on first team, but I am sure TFCA will part of OPDL as well. I think Hamilton will become TFC jr in the long haul. Now question is if it will be an NASL or some 3rd Canadian division team. Hamilton Ticats owner has talked to CSA about owning a pro soccer team. So there's interest out there for Hamilton team.