PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Thursday, July,18

denime
07-18-2013, 05:36 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/reds-topped-chivas)Reds Topped By Chivas

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/reds-topped-chivas)Toronto FC lament inability to break down shorthanded Chivas USA, missed penalty...
(http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/656895544?-19896:6206)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/reds-topped-chivas)Torres scores in second half as Chivas USA beats Toronto FC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/torres-scores-in-second-half-as-chivas-usa-beats-toronto-fc/article13295698/)

Chivas USA beats Toronto FC to snap 14-game winless streak (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/07/18/sp-soccer-mls-toronto-fc-chivas-usa.html)

Short-handed Chivas USA defeats Toronto FC (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/short-handed-chivas-usa-defeats-toronto-fc/)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

CoachGT
07-18-2013, 06:21 AM
One year ago today was TFC's last win at BMO Field.

DOMIN8R
07-18-2013, 06:41 AM
:party:I never took you for a romantic, Gary. You remembered.......

CoachGT
07-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Not having seen any of the post game interviews, I expect the following:

Nelsen - we were unlucky......poor refereeing, we should have had (insert foul, card, penalty, whatever) called.......we were dominant......our guys worked so hard and didn't get a result..........the fans deserve better.......reinforcements are coming........

WestStandGeoff
07-18-2013, 07:20 AM
^^^^
Yeah, it was poor referring - that we actually benefited from for a change with that soft red card on Avila. Shouldn't be using that excuse after yesterday's loss!

Stouffville_RPB
07-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Went to bed last night around the 60th

Woke up and I've got to say I wasn't all that shocked to see that TFC lost to a horrible 10 man Chivas.

Futbolista
07-18-2013, 07:30 AM
losing to a ten man Chivas...we are now officially the worse team in MLS. :facepalm: :drinking::facepalm: :drinking: :(

TOBOR !
07-18-2013, 07:33 AM
On a night in which his team lost to a Chivas USA side that played with ten men for more than an hour, Toronto FC head coach Ryan Nelsen expressed his belief that the sending off ultimately ended up working in favor of the team that was penalized.

HA ! TWAT ! I love quotes like this... lucky for us Chivas didn't have any more players sent off then.

CoachGT
07-18-2013, 07:49 AM
HA ! TWAT ! I love quotes like this... lucky for us Chivas didn't have any more players sent off then.

To me, this quote indicates failure from the coach. Against a squad that doesn't score often ( 17 goals in 19 games) in front of an empty stadium, a man up for 65 minutes, temperature in the mid 20s and you STILL can't pull of at least a draw? No adjustments, no urgency, no response. 65% possession and you still lose the vast majority of duels (1v1 or 50/50 balls - 60/40 Chivas)? This falls squarely at Nelsen's feet.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
I'm sorry, but the honeymoon is officially over for Nelsen if it wasn't already. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt going into this season, but you would think he'd start showing the odd flashes of managerial brilliance that Payne obviously detected in him if he was really the long-term solution. Even Jason Kreis in his rookie season as manager probably wouldn't have lost to a 10-man Chivas, and even if he did, he wouldn't have offered up such pathetic excuses.

DOMIN8R
07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
^^^^
Yeah, it was poor referring - that we actually benefited from for a change with that soft red card on Avila. Shouldn't be using that excuse after yesterday's loss!

Absolutely. Avila's red card was unjustified. And, as Nelson indicated, it only served to help Chivas.:facepalm:

Perhaps, we should strive for more red cards?g:D

ensco
07-18-2013, 08:17 AM
I'd go easy on Nelsen. It's not like Morgan and Bekker are his first choice players.

I think with Silva we would have found a goal last night. There was no last touch from anyone ex Osorio.

CretanBull
07-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't say this in defense of Nelson at all, but we have a horrible team that is (once again) in transition and rebuilding. We're not getting out coached or out maneuvered, we're playing against teams that are more talented/experienced than we are.

Oldtimer
07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Who would you pull off the bench to make TFC produce better? What were Nelsen's great options?

I'm afraid TFC will stink until the replacement players arrive.

MarkEightThree
07-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Here's the MLSsoccer.com interview with Nelsen:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/18/toronto-fc-lament-inability-break-down-shorthanded-chivas-usa-missed-penalty

His quotes were similar to what Coach predicted, but I think he knows TFC really shit the bed with this one and the usual go-to liners wouldn't work. Even when he was pressed about the missed PK call he admitted that they were pretty much already given a break by the ref and that made it even.

MarkEightThree
07-18-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't say this in defense of Nelson at all, but we have a horrible team that is (once again) in transition and rebuilding. We're not getting out coached or out maneuvered, we're playing against teams that are more talented/experienced than we are.

That's just it. We were getting tons of opportunities in their half, but how much more can Nelson do? Tell Morgan not to be so terrible at crossing? Or Braun to be better at finishing?

TOBOR !
07-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Who would you pull off the bench to make TFC produce better? What were Nelsen's great options?

maybe, but then all Nelsen is going to do is what Mariner did, sans short pants : Fill out the squad list.

Better players are bound to get better results, however, unless we uncover a young Johann Cruyff we're going to require some tactical nous on the sidelines.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
I fully realize Nelsen can only work with what he's been given - his excuses are just starting to wear a little thin, is all.

maninb
07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't expect us to win another game for the rest of the year......EASILY the WORST TFC side EVER!!!!

Super
07-18-2013, 08:58 AM
I reserve my judgement of Nelsen and Payne till the end of the transfer window. We're easily 4-5 players away from being competitive, so let's hope that we get those new players we so desperately need. 2 DP players that will immediately lift the team (see effect by Laba) plus 2-3 solid players (all starters) on top of that. Could make a world of difference.

Fort York Redcoat
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
I expect a change before the next game.

HuTor
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
<! ironic mode on --->
Lol, I didn't even know that Chivas snapped a 14 game winless streak by beating us.
Very well done TFC, excellent, we should feel proud because we have a hearty, caring, compassionate team... they always help the poor, the fallen ones... too!
<---/ ironic mode off !>

:facepalm: WTF? Will the shitshow ever end?
Koevs said last year we're the worst team in the world, well we're not too far from that title this time around either...

No question that TFC is the worst ever team in the MLS history, and this title will be impossible to be taken away considering any teams' any random 7-8 year period in the league.

HuTor
07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I reserve my judgement of Nelsen and Payne till the end of the transfer window. We're easily 4-5 players away from being competitive, so let's hope that we get those new players we so desperately need. 2 DP players that will immediately lift the team (see effect by Laba) plus 2-3 solid players (all starters) on top of that. Could make a world of difference.

Very true, but since the inception of the franchise we always were short of 4-5 players from being competitive, plus a coach at the coaching level of those 4-5 players playing level.
Maybe we'll have this year the players... but we'll we have the coach?
Is Nelsen the man? I have serious doubts at this point...

Chevy
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM

I think we have gone through this cycle maybe 14 times? Offseason + Summer Window x Seven Seasons?

Super
07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Very true, but since the inception of the franchise we always were short of 4-5 players from being competitive, plus a coach at the coaching level of those 4-5 players playing level.
Maybe we'll have this year the players... but we'll we have the coach?
Is Nelsen the man? I have serious doubts at this point...

He's gaining experience right now. It's like training any new employee at any place, you have to allow them a period of time to get things right. Personally I prefer to hire experience, but that's somehow against MLSE policy.

Oldtimer
07-18-2013, 09:20 AM
I think we have gone through this cycle maybe 14 times? Offseason + Summer Window x Seven Seasons?

The question is, is Payne more qualified than Anselmi/Mo/Earl to make it different this time? I think he is.

pdogg
07-18-2013, 09:28 AM
The question is, is Payne more qualified than Anselmi/Mo/Earl to make it different this time? I think he is.

I think his knowledge of how to construct a team and work within a salary cap makes him immensely more qualified than any of the other GMs we've had before.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Well, Nelsen sure wasn't kidding when he said prior to the KC game that "the next couple of games could be a little rough".

TearsForCheers
07-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I'd go easy on Nelsen. It's not like Morgan and Bekker are his first choice players.

I think with Silva we would have found a goal last night. There was no last touch from anyone ex Osorio.

Well I look at it this way - of the 11 players started yesterday, 8 have come in since Nelsen came on board (Bendik, Boss, Caldwell, Laba, Russell, Convey, Earnshaw, Brockie), so if the team just isn't good enough, his hands are all over it.

TFC07
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Silva with his current form wouldn't score a goal either.

JayMolly
07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
I think his knowledge of how to construct a team and work within a salary cap makes him immensely more qualified than any of the other GMs we've had before.

Agree with the comment about Payne.

However, TFC have pressing and quite simple needs:

they need better players,
they need a coach in charge, not someone making excuses all the time!

Milanista
07-18-2013, 11:38 AM
eks is such a horrible player at the price they are paying him...if he makes that much he better have an amazing attacking upside...he just runs and never puts in a good cross...lol this whole squad is pathetic...laba and osorio are the only guys worth keeping, everyone else is cut worthy

OgtheDim
07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I get the feeling Nelsen was hired for two jobs

a) what he does with the drek before KP gets what he wants

b) what he will do once we have those players

In all fairness, I don't think many coaches could do much with the drek we currently have, much of which are stop gaps and extended trialists.

As far as I can tell, Nelsen's system relies upon a creative box to box beside a defensive box to box with two roaming mids, two attacking WB's and a couple of decent forwards.

We have 1 of those pieces - the box to box defensive. We might have a decent roaming mid in Osorio and a decent forward in Earnshaw or Koevs.

I'd say, out of 8 necessary pieces, we have 1 and a lot of maybes.

Once he gets those pieces, then we'll find out how good he is.

Until then, he's teaching the subs and the starters of 2015.

jloome
07-18-2013, 12:58 PM

Make what you will of it, by MLSsoccer.com posted this link http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/07/17/People-and-Pop-Culture/Leiweke.aspx?app_data={%22pi%22%3A%2238048_1374080 346_523551254%22%2C%22pt%22%3A%22twitter%22}

It's a story about Lieweke planning the Leafs' Stanley Cup parade route. I don't think it mentions TFC anywhere in the story, just the leafs and raptors.

ensco
07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Make what you will of it, by MLSsoccer.com posted this link http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/07/17/People-and-Pop-Culture/Leiweke.aspx?app_data={%22pi%22%3A%2238048_1374080 346_523551254%22%2C%22pt%22%3A%22twitter%22}

It's a story about Lieweke planning the Leafs' Stanley Cup parade route. I don't think it mentions TFC anywhere in the story, just the leafs and raptors.

jloome, try the Leafs thread. We've been going over that for days there.

JayMolly
07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Wow! Can you believe Bob McCown started his 5:00 p.m. tv show talking about TFC?
He trashed ML$E and Tom Lieweke!
Tell it like it is Bob . . . .

Super
07-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Wow! Can you believe Bob McCown started his 5:00 p.m. tv show talking about TFC?

He also said that anyone who purchased tickets in the first couple of years of TFC should feel pretty stupid. Wonder what he would feel about us who have been supporting this team since day one LOL

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 08:30 PM
I actually like Bob McCown. But I've learned to pretty much tune him out whenever he starts talking about soccer (his soccer-hating more schtick than substance, anyway). Having said that, I will listen to that podcast.

Fort York Redcoat
07-19-2013, 07:08 AM

I actually like Bob McCown. But I've learned to pretty much tune him out whenever he starts talking about soccer (his soccer-hating more schtick than substance, anyway). Having said that, I will listen to that podcast.

Meh.

The Toronto Sports Howard Stern. Enjoy if you like that sort...

CoachGT
07-19-2013, 07:25 AM
And in Fridays news:

No news on the player front for TFC.

Nelsen requests TFC get an automatic three penalties per game (hoping that we can score on just one of them).

TFC preparing parade route for the anniversary of their last win at BMO field.

Bob McCown named TFC Media Advisor

Otherwise, be grateful it is Friday and look forward to the weekend!

HuTor
07-19-2013, 08:04 AM
And in Fridays news:

Nelsen requests TFC get an automatic three penalties per game (hoping that we can score on just one of them).

Lol, good ones!

I like most the one with the parade route, haha.

prizby
07-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Give McClown a McChicken

Red Rat
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
And in Fridays news:

These are the best news in 7 years!!!

Dreadlocks
07-19-2013, 11:11 AM

...and just before that, Tim and Sid ended their show trashing TFC in general......"that's so TFC"

ensco
07-19-2013, 11:52 AM
And in Fridays news:

Frack that is funny.

ManUtd4ever
07-19-2013, 12:03 PM
And in Fridays news:

Well played, LOL. We need something to keep our spirits up around here.

HuTor
07-19-2013, 01:42 PM
These are the best news in 7 years!!!

True...
Really it's a tough decision to cry or to laugh about TFC, even for TFC fans.
At the end of the day is still sad that these are the only choices.