PDA

View Full Version : Darren O'Dea Appreciation Thread

prizby
07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Loved his first ever goal for the club!
Loved his passion for the game.
Loved how he went hard into everything.

A strong, strong man; will be missed; in another era of MLS, he'd have been here for years.

Finally, for next Saturday been feeling a song of:

We all dream of a team of Darren O'Dea's, a team of Darren O'Dea's, a team of Darren O'Dea's
We all dream of a team of Darren O'Dea's, a team of Darren O'Dea's, a team of Darren O'Dea's
And number 1 is Darren O'Dea
And number 2 is Darren O'Dea
And number 3 is Darren O'Dea
And number 4 is Darren O'Dea
etc...

volunteer
07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
sláinte

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 11:31 PM
That goal was amazing.

And when he came to play for us, we had been starved for decent CD's since...well since forever. He was a breath of fresh air and a reminder of what it could be like to have a decent team.

I liked the way he stared down and enforced himself on opposing players if there was a bit of a scrap.

Brooker
07-14-2013, 12:30 AM
We're singing songs about people who never played a full season or even the equivalent of one. This is what we have to work with. Absolute shambles.

jabbronies
07-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Nice goal.
Played hard.
Spoke his mind.
Wish him the best.

mowe
07-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Didn't rate him much as a player, especially on that contract (in MLS that's a huge factor) but goddamn if he didn't give it his all every game. One of the few people who looked proud to wear the TFC shirt and did everything he could to help the team win. I really liked what he said about why he came here; he wanted to be a part of creating history at this club. I respect his passion and every team needs players like him. Wish him all the best in his career and hope him and his family can get adjusted to wherever he's going.

sully
07-14-2013, 07:36 AM
One of my best memories of O'Dea inToronto will be him losing his temper during a game with one of the other defenders and screaming at him that he was a fucking idiot. He hated to lose and showed it. It was refreshing to see that in this team.

West220Side
07-14-2013, 07:50 AM
I find that when a player moves his family over, and settles in, and shows how much he loves the city I appreciate them more. It showed that O'dea wasn't just here for the (large) pay check, but truly was a leader on the pitch. He's got a cute kid, too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BE9U-evCIAAy6ii.jpg:large

Davenport
07-14-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm sure he's a lovely lad and he has a nice family. I wish him all the best.

But. He's another example of how messed up this club is. A very average player on ridiculous money.

Phil
07-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Liked Darren, super good guy and I wish him all the best.

His contract was crap. Total rubbish signing on that deal.

ensco
07-14-2013, 01:15 PM
He had a terrific professional foul against KC in extra time at Skydome. With all the late goals against, it sort of stands out as a good play to preserve a win.

ComedyOfErrors
07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Thank you Darren. You are an individual of class and I honestly wish you were staying. You embraced the team, the city and spoke your mind. I wish you all the best.

Mark in Ottawa
07-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Good luck Darren in whatever the future holds.
Thanks for providing TFC with some badly needed leadership & class.

Damien
07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the 2 wins.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Good luck at Shaktar Donetsk. Thanks for your efforts.

Commie Red
07-15-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry to see him go. Darren was a class act whose leadership qualities we won't soon replace. He may not have been around since 2007 but I genuinely believe he understand the pain TFC supporters endure following this club -- and was desperate to relieve the suffering. He tried to will and cajole the team to success but that is beyond the abilities of any one player. Good luck Darren.

Super
07-15-2013, 09:31 AM
I am also quite sad to see Darren go. We certainly can't complain about his commitment to the team. BUT as we all know his salary was simply too high for any MLS team to handle. $500k for a CB that we play out of position? Nah, that makes no sense. Rather spend that cash on a DP AM or Striker.

Good luck to Darren!

prizby
07-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Good luck at Shaktar Donetsk. Thanks for your efforts.

really Shakhtar?

burlington Red
07-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Sad to see him go, but as others have said his wages were just too high. Bumped into him last season one sat night in Real sports Bar. Super nice guy. took genuine time to speak to a few of us, even though he wasn't there in any team related event capacity and had his own company with him. Even insisted on a buying a round of drinks. Wish him all the best.

tfcleeds
07-15-2013, 12:16 PM
^Class act. He loved the city, I hope he might come back here in some capacity when his playing days are done.

PopePouri
07-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Great character and class act. It's a pity he couldn't keep the form that he had at the start of the season.

Suds
07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Seemed like O'Dea was willing to come and not only be a part of the team, but part of this city. Have to like a player who is willing to embrace the city TFC represents and want to represent it well.

Wish him all the best.

JayMolly
07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
All the best #48!
After the last game in 2012, we had an opportunity to meet you and get your autograph. Class act!
Thanks for the memories Darren.