PDA

View Full Version : Darren O'Dea set for transfer

Doucet3
07-13-2013, 06:59 PM
http://m.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/darren-odea-set-transfer

Not impressed with this fucking move at all, just started to get a "decent" back line and now shipping off one of our top guys on the whole team.

Sounds like by his tweet he's being forced out.

Yohan
07-13-2013, 07:06 PM
http://m.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/darren-odea-set-transfer

Not impressed with this fucking move at all, just started to get a "decent" back line and now shipping off one of our top guys on the whole team.

Sounds like by his tweet he's being forced out.would you be happy if you are badgered to renegotiate a contract you signed in good faith, said no, and told you're being turfed?

Canary10
07-13-2013, 07:21 PM
We all know his contract was way too big. He was another TFC panic signing that we paid through the moon for. I hope he can find a Championship team or something. He's a good guy.

Cuppy
07-13-2013, 07:25 PM
4 f s

ProfessorDamage
07-13-2013, 07:26 PM
This is going to be an ugly transition, but hopefully what comes out the other end is a better team. This move, contract-wise, was necessary. With O'Dea all the best. Good guy by the sounds of it, and I'm sure he's got a decent club lined up.

denime
07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
This TFC revolving door is spinning faster then usual.

Canary10
07-13-2013, 07:42 PM
This TFC revolving door is spinning faster then usual.

Like the first summer of Winter/Mariner.

But when you hire your management team just as preseason is starting, what do they expect? Neither Winter/Mariner nor Payne had any time to put the team together before the season started. So they did it during.

notthesun
07-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Mariner really fucked us with that contract. Makes it shitty for us when we try to sign other players and shitty for O'Dea because we're in a position where we basically have to kick him out the door.

This really doesn't help our reputation at all. Players from within MLS especially are going to be avoiding us like the plague.

Canary10
07-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Mariner really fucked us with that contract. Makes it shitty for us when we try to sign other players and shitty for O'Dea because we're in a position where we basically have to kick him out the door.

This really doesn't help our reputation at all. Players from within MLS especially are going to be avoiding us like the plague.

I hate Mariner. But I don't totally blame him for it. We've bought players in a panic all the time. The second fans get antsy about results, the management panics, then coach feels pressure, and they got out and pay too much for a perceived need. It keeps happening with this club over and over.

Marc"2L"
07-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Well there goes me using TFC for seasons in FIFA....

so strange

Jack
07-13-2013, 08:00 PM
It stings, but it's a good move for the long run and building the team that Payne and Nelsen want to build. I never had any hopes for this season, anyway, and O'Dea can be replaced by someone of equal ability and less money.

SirBobSaget
07-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Would be pure sorcery if can both on load the contract and get a transfer fee. O'dea was a good player no doubt but double the cap value and as an Irish int is missing lots of games and coming back tired. Signing out of continent internationals is bad business especially since mls ignores FIFA calendars

jazzy
07-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Although he made too much $$,...(Eckersly) is the same and worse IMHO,..Mark Bloom is his replacement?.....get promised major moves and all we are getting is USFL.....quality.....Richter in his non action allowed the first goal tonight ....we sure are going about it in a weird way if we are building from the rear out! I'm getting nervous.....and best wishes D'Dea .....hate for you think Toronto is classless....but..if it walks like a duck

Wingback6
07-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Personally, I am very happy with this move. O'Dea is complete shite. He plays like someone who is watching a pack of dobermans run him down. Scared. And he was personally responsible for as many defensive errors/goals a game as much younger, and inexperienced players. Good riddance.

The timing, however, is horrible. Toronto FC, is a misnomer. It is a company, and it treats it's players like employees, rather than athletes. No concept of morale, or morals!!

TOBOR !
07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Jokes. I blame this, and the last three years on whoever hired Paul Mariner. Could someone remind me who that was?

T-boy
07-13-2013, 09:26 PM
It stings, but it's a good move for the long run and building the team that Payne and Nelsen want to build. I never had any hopes for this season, anyway, and O'Dea can be replaced by someone of equal ability and less money.

Seconded.

There is a massive amount of complaining on this forum about O'Dea massive contract and that you can't have 1/6th of your whole teams money on a full back. It kinda sucks to see a good player leave, but you simply have to have value for money through your team in the MLS. Most MLS teams have full backs around the 75k to 100k region, and the majority of their salary on the bigger name offensive players.

Some people may complain about this, but its probably the best move Payne and co. have made so far for this team.

69Chevy396
07-13-2013, 09:42 PM
This team will never show and progress until MLSE sells the franchise

TOBOR !
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Lulz. Isn't there a thread where someone can't decide whether to get O'Dea's name on the back of his jersey ? I hope he didn't move too quickly on that.

T-boy
07-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Does anybody think this is a transfer within the league? Or to a team outside the league? In which case, will there be some fee involved?

tfcleeds
07-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Well, Darren O'Dear, you've now come and gone from my two favourite clubs - although you didn't perform with much distinction, you played with heart and seem to be a good lad. Wish you the best.

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 10:00 PM

So, let me get this straight.

MLSE has been sold.

The guy who was pulling the strings, the Christmas tree guy, is no longer running the board.

The guy who was president of the team has been kicked up stairs.

The guy then brought in to run all of MLSE as CEO is arguably the best MLS CEO ever.

They fired the coach/general manager that was put in by the old regime.

The new president has a long history of success in this league.

He had to deal with us being over the cap and under in terms of player totals and player quality with far too many guaranteed contracts.

And yet...the issue is this amorphous thing called MLSE?

Its not the same people running TFC anywhere that counts compared to last year.

Different board

Different owners

Different president

Different CEO

Different coach

MLSE as we knew it a year ago is no longer running this team.

Sorry, but you got your wish.

That MLSE is no longer running the team.

T-boy
07-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I really don't have any complaints. I have no idea why there are now people complaining about a player leaving that literally a day ago everybody was saying was way overpaid and should be gone at the end of this season anyways. Getting his off the payroll early is a masterstroke and gets the club moving fowrard much quicker than anticipated.

Ivy
07-13-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't like lying...
O'Dea tweets that the transfer wasn't his choice, and that he doesn't want to leave...
Ryan Nelsen says that O'Dea got the transfer offer and he couldn't refuse it...
im gonna go ahead and say that Ryan is lying.

vince93
07-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I don't like lying...
O'Dea tweets that the transfer wasn't his choice, and that he doesn't want to leave...

Who cares what the truth is, in the year that O'dea has been with the club they have only won 2 games, as one of the highest paid defenders in mls that is not good enough, maybe he is a great person, but i would rather he be an a--hole and win more games. We can't fall in love with players we need results.

T-boy
07-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't like lying...

Doesn't sound like either are lying actually! TFC probably got the initial approach, accepted, then O'Dea gets the option to negotiate with new club, and then accepted also. I don't think its legal for a club to directly approach an attached player without consent of his club.

tfcleeds
07-13-2013, 10:35 PM
He also leaves never having experienced winning a League match at BMO Field.

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Nelsen says its a contract from Ukraine.

Big contract offer from what Nelsen says.

Ivy
07-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Who cares what the truth is, in the year that O'dea has been with the club they have only won 2 games, as one of the highest paid defenders in mls that is not good enough, maybe he is a great person, but i would rather he be an a--hole and win more games. We can't fall in love with players we need results.
im not arguing that TFC should have kept him...

TOBOR !
07-14-2013, 12:03 AM
I saw it tweeted that he played in 28 games for us, winning 2 of them.

QSIM
07-14-2013, 12:12 AM
I saw it tweeted that he played in 28 games for us, winning 2 of them.

Wonder how many have suited up for TFC without a win to their name...probably a scary number

Doucet3
07-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Lulz. Isn't there a thread where someone can't decide whether to get O'Dea's name on the back of his jersey ? I hope he didn't move too quickly on that.
Mate that was me lmao, nah I decided Henry more stable for the future I understand why just really wish it wasn't after years of wanting him here he signed was like a dream come true not even here 2 years.

Doucet3
07-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Maybe this is just be thinking out my ass here but dosnt tis make Eckersley staying in the future more reasonable???, if you think next year he's prolly not gonna count as a international slot cause hell be getting Canadian resedency and I can only see his contract going down... Even if he dosnt we literally have like the 1.6 of the 2.9 million cap spent right now with Califf and O'Dea gone, and Frei next summer (not stoked on seeing him leave but again the world of football)

Makes me think that yea Ecks contract is a shit show but he looks more likley to stay cause he is only 22 so he could be another core peice with Henry, Osorio, Bekker, Roberts and Morgan and who ever else you think of

trane
07-14-2013, 05:45 AM
He also leaves never having experienced winning a League match at BMO Field.

I have not feeling for o'dea, I have no real feeling for any current player really, maybe Koevs. Because they may be nice guys but none of them did anything for this club, sure they played hard, but they won nothing, for fuck sake they hardly won a game for us, everyone other then young promissing players, can go as far as I am concerned. We have very little worth keeping if we want to build a winning club.

Yohan
07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Payne should be crucified if he didn't accept transfer fee for O'Dea. If lucky TFC gets 1 mil in transfer fee, which would be converted to 600k in allocation money or something. plus 368k max cap hit O'Dea was taking up, that can buy like 3 awesome players if spent right. even 500k transfer fee helps

MartinUtd
07-14-2013, 10:04 AM
I liked O'Dea, but he wasn't value for money and that, I'm afraid, is more than half the game in MLS.

v00d00daddy
07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't mind him leaving. I actually applaud the move.

I don't like the way it happened. He travels with the team to Kansas City and then is sent home hours before the game to complete a transfer? That's odd. Leads me to believe that the decision for him to leave, whether it was his or the clubs, was done at the last minute. Not a good way to do business and makes the club look bad.

How often do you see a prominent player in a team sent home hours before a game? It screams unprofessional if you ask me. There was bad blood for sure. When Silva was traded O'Dea said that he was surprised and hadn't heard anything about it and that it's typical because the club doesn't tell them anything.

I totally agree with having to get rid of players like Silva and O'Dea and Frei (if the reinforcements are really on their way) but I'm not liking the way the club is looking in the way guys are being shipped out.

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't mind him leaving. I actually applaud the move.

I don't like the way it happened. He travels with the team to Kansas City and then is sent home hours before the game to complete a transfer? That's odd. Leads me to believe that the decision for him to leave, whether it was his or the clubs, was done at the last minute. Not a good way to do business and makes the club look bad.

How often do you see a prominent player in a team sent home hours before a game? It screams unprofessional if you ask me. There was bad blood for sure. When Silva was traded O'Dea said that he was surprised and hadn't heard anything about it and that it's typical because the club doesn't tell them anything.

I totally agree with having to get rid of players like Silva and O'Dea and Frei (if the reinforcements are really on their way) but I'm not liking the way the club is looking in the way guys are being shipped out.

Not necessarily true. The other club may have just got closer to the deal and asked us to not risk him by using him. Happens all the time. If tweets by TFC employees are true then we are getting Forlan and not every team allows their transfer targets to play right up until the move like we just did.

Richard
07-14-2013, 10:49 AM
This is like hitting the jackpot(if sold for money), you don't risk it by doing something stupid when trying to cash in(play him in the match).

v00d00daddy
07-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Not necessarily true. The other club may have just got closer to the deal and asked us to not risk him by using him. Happens all the time. If tweets by TFC employees are true then we are getting Forlan and not every team allows their transfer targets to play right up until the move like we just did.

Darren O'Dea ‏@odea_darren (https://twitter.com/odea_darren)16h (https://twitter.com/odea_darren/status/356195264710709248)
For every1 asking I'm discussing terms with another team. Not what I want! Not got a choice! I'll update you when things are clearer!

This tweet would indicate to me that only one side was in on how it was handled. And that's what I mean when I say that I don't like how it's being handled.

barticusz
07-14-2013, 10:53 AM
http://metronews.ca/sports/543042/odea-wants-to-make-history-at-toronto-fc/

I wonder if the same Ukrainian club that was after him before is the one he'll be going to now.

v00d00daddy
07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
This is like hitting the jackpot(if sold for money), you don't risk it by doing something stupid when trying to cash in(play him in the match).

Then don't bring him on the trip.

Forlan played 75 minutes yesterday and scored two goals. If he's coming Internacional don't seem to be worried about risking him.

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Darren O'Dea ‏@odea_darren (https://twitter.com/odea_darren)16h (https://twitter.com/odea_darren/status/356195264710709248)
For every1 asking I'm discussing terms with another team. Not what I want! Not got a choice! I'll update you when things are clearer!

This tweet would indicate to me that only one side was in on how it was handled. And that's what I mean when I say that I don't like how it's being handled.

Happens all the time too. Not everyone wants to be transferred and some are bitter about it but when a team gets a real good offer sometimes you agree to it right away and then the player is kind of stuck. Doesn't translate to real life and jobs but in the world of sports it's the GM's job to make the team better and put the crest before any player or sentiment. This all goes back to Mariner over paying for O' Dea in the first place. If he didn't have his head up his ass he would have offered O' Dea what Nesta is getting as the bar was set and if he said no then move on.

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Then don't bring him on the trip.

Forlan played 75 minutes yesterday and scored two goals. If he's coming Internacional don't seem to be worried about risking him.
The Forlan playing thing is our fault if he is indeed coming here. We probably would have used O' Dea yesterday but I bet the Ukraine team asked us not to just like we should do with Forlan.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Payne should be crucified if he didn't accept transfer fee for O'Dea. If lucky TFC gets 1 mil in transfer fee, which would be converted to 600k in allocation money or something. plus 368k max cap hit O'Dea was taking up, that can buy like 3 awesome players if spent right. even 500k transfer fee helps

Bingo.

PAOK17
07-14-2013, 12:40 PM
I always thought that when it came to transfers, players have a lot more say as to where they go. I never thought it was like trades, where you have to suck it up and go. Usually players have to agree to go to the team they are being sold to. Correct me if I am wrong, but if that is the case, he could have stayed here if he wanted to, right?

Of course, even if the decision was his, it could be similar to Dichio "deciding" to retire.

This move would be a work of genius if we get money in return. It was a bad contract- we all saw it was when it was signed. Good luck to him but such is the difficulty of a salary capped league.

Richard
07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
^^ Players can turn the deal down, the club cant force O'Dea to move. Yes O'Dea can stay if he really wants too, but if you have been told you are overpaid, would you want to stick around in that environment?

OgtheDim
07-14-2013, 12:45 PM
The official line

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/odeas-departure-can-open-new-doors

ag futbol
07-14-2013, 12:51 PM
One million? How about $5 and they take over paying his salary. That alone would make the move worth while.

TFC07
07-14-2013, 02:26 PM
I was never fan of O'Dea signing and I didn't see anything special about his game that makes worth his contract. I don't understand how people got excited of O'Dea's signing back last year when we could had Nesta instead. I just hope people are more critical this time around.

We got very lucky with O'Dea being transfer where we can get money in return to help out this club.

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 02:34 PM
^^ Players can turn the deal down, the club cant force O'Dea to move. Yes O'Dea can stay if he really wants too, but if you have been told you are overpaid, would you want to stick around in that environment?
He could stay but it would be uncomfortable. Then if/when we sign no one or keep playing shit, Payne can point out that he tried to free space for moves and O' Dea nixed the deal. He'd catch a lot of heat for that, even more than he does now and he didn't do anything wrong other than accept a lot of money from a dumbass.

Yohan
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I was never fan of O'Dea signing and I didn't see anything special about his game that makes worth his contract. I don't understand how people got excited of O'Dea's signing back last year when we could had Nesta instead. I just hope people are more critical this time around.

We got very lucky with O'Dea being transfer where we can get money in return to help out this club.
Nesta is garbage. He is retiring at the end of the season and has already mentally checked out and plays like he no longer gives a damn.

billyfly
07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Why do people care about o'dears feelings?

OgtheDim
07-14-2013, 05:36 PM

I think the conversation is more about why O'Dea wouldn't want to stay.

But, there is sentiment for the man; I would say its mostly because he hasn't ticked people off for his behaviour. People may not like how he plays. But he's never been a prick or come across as anything other then "real".

v00d00daddy
07-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Speaking only for myself, it's not about his feelings. It's about the way it went down. It doesn't seem professional to hear about a deal on television 2 hours before a game.

"The captain O'Dea has taken a flight back to Toronto to finalize a transfer". Seems odd. Goes from the captain that starts every game and is moved over to LB to fill a hole to persona not grata pretty quick. I mean, how much can we possibly be saving on the guy 18 games in to the season? It just doesn't add up.

His tweet afterwards didn't help. It's obvious he was given little choice. The club said we don't want you. We've found a way to get rid of you. Do you want to take it? Seems kinda douchey to me.

billyfly
07-14-2013, 06:00 PM
The world of MLS and their stupid and complicated CAP rules necessitate these types of last minute dealings.

O'Dea is one of dozens of sub-par players to don the crest. Soon to be quickly forgotten.

Jeff s
07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Happy with this move. He was over payed and a mistake prone defender.

billyfly
07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
I should add that I have sympathy for everyone of our players to a certain degree.

The 'sick of losing' part of me just doesn't give a sh*t anymore though.

T-boy
07-14-2013, 06:19 PM
In the end of the day, "value for money' is key to the MLS, and also makes it a unique soccer league in the soccer world. The people who don't like this transfer are the people who generally don't understand that fact.

When O'Dea signed I thought he was a good acquisition, young, international experience etc. BUT, then I saw his salary, and its just an insane amount of money to tie up with a defender in a salary cap league. Totally insane, in fact!

Facebook and Twitter is full of people compaining about this transfer, but these are the people who have no idea about a salary cap, or even that it exists in the MLS! They are comparing the league to other world leagues where you can just go out and spend a load of money and pay insane salaries per week to players, and buy yourself success. That is totally the opposite to the MLS, and most RPB's understand more than other Toronto soccer fans who just follow European leagues.

If Toronto have actually got some transfer fee in this, its genius! The allocation we could get will set up the team for the next couple of years! It will be interesting to see if this is what has happened. But either way, even without a transfer fee, getting Darren's salary off the books is essential to Nelson and Payne's success.

Shakes McQueen
07-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Speaking only for myself, it's not about his feelings. It's about the way it went down. It doesn't seem professional to hear about a deal on television 2 hours before a game.

"The captain O'Dea has taken a flight back to Toronto to finalize a transfer". Seems odd. Goes from the captain that starts every game and is moved over to LB to fill a hole to persona not grata pretty quick. I mean, how much can we possibly be saving on the guy 18 games in to the season? It just doesn't add up.

His tweet afterwards didn't help. It's obvious he was given little choice. The club said we don't want you. We've found a way to get rid of you. Do you want to take it? Seems kinda douchey to me.

Cap savings/hit is always proportional I believe, so it's a wash. If you get rid of a guy making $450k half way through the season, the actual cap savings number may be lower for the remainder of the season, but you can still add the equivalent of $450k to your roster - because that added salary will also only hit your cap proportionally.

Did I make any sense just now? Haha.

Anyway, wasn't terribly enamoured with O'Dea, and I don't think there's any question that the guy was overpaid. You can't afford to have overpaid underperformers in this league.

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, though...

- Scott

greatwhitenorf
07-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Deloighted to see the back of 'im. What he lacked in quickness, he made up for with thickness. We can only hope that as he was being hauled away from his team mates, the club Centuwions tweated him woughwy. Vewy woughwy.

One of the principal horns in the TFC Shiteshow. If we can get the same performance for less money, then brilliant.

Slowly but surely, we're heading to the point where MLSE will be paying us to watch this team.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2013, 08:49 AM

I don't think MLSE made this decision. They okayed it.

Who was this mystery owner you wanted? Maybe the people that own the Jays...

Anyway...here's what Og said about our last captain..

In the spirit of loopy conjecture.

We transfer O'Dea to Shakhtar Donetsk.

In return Donestk sends out on loan, http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alan-patrick/profil/spieler_104505.html to Internacional (5 days ago)

Who plays at Internacional again? Forlan you say? Well imagine that.

Laurignano
07-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Does anyone have any idea of what the transfer fee is for O'Dea?

Stouffville_RPB
07-15-2013, 11:41 PM

When it comes to dealing with personnel there have been A LOT of thing done by TFC that can be described that way.

mastermixer
07-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Why would they dramatically send O'Dea home minutes before a game, when there is no actual news of a deal completed days after? They couldn't wait to send out the press release yet nothing has actually happened?

OgtheDim
07-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Why would they dramatically send O'Dea home minutes before a game, when there is no actual news of a deal completed days after? They couldn't wait to send out the press release yet nothing has actually happened?

They didn`t send him minutes before a game.

He left around noon that day.

They only announced it seconds after the lineups for the SKC game was announced. Most likely because the team he is going to didn`t want him to play, as a precaution. Can you imagine him not playing in that game and then TFC NOT saying anything because they were waiting for the details?

As for nothing being announced, he was sent home to complete the details. When those details are ready, I`m sure we`ll know.

Technorgasm
07-16-2013, 08:23 AM
When results arent there. . heads roll.
Not surprised by this.

Why is it so tough (for TFC) to put a half decent squad out there?
Im not saying challenge for a title. .. . or even make play offs. .
the apathy in me is at an all time high.

"All we are saying. . . is to not be a complete embarrassment"
"All we are saying. . . is leave us with our pride"
"All we are saying. . . is not get prison raped every week"
"All we are saying. . . is not be the leagues bitch"
"All we are saying. . . is win more than 3"?
"All we are saying. . . is give us a Shot on goal"

ensco
07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
So he is going to something called FC Metalurh Donetsk. The secondary team in Donetsk.

This team plays in a stadium that seats ..... 5000 people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalurh_Stadium_(Donetsk)

Who else is wondering if this is some sort of cap circumvention game by TFC (ie a buyout disguised as a transfer to a mysterious partner, so that it doesn't hit the cap)?

I suppose it's also possible that this is all legit. But you never know in that part of the world.

I predict O'Dea has to play a few games, keep his mouth shut, collect his dough, and he'll be back in the UK on a free in 6 months.

TOBOR !
07-18-2013, 09:09 AM
^ That looks bleak, but this is hopeful : http://www.wikistadiums.org/shakhtar-stadium/511

Shakhtar Stadium is a football stadium located in the city/town of Donetsk in Ukraine, Europe. Shakhtar Stadium has a maximum stadium capacity of 31718 spectators. FC Metalurh Donetsk are the main occupants of the stadium. FC Metalurh Donetsk play their domestic home football fixtures at Shakhtar Stadium.

edit - bah - who can you believe these days ? Not that this needs to be debated, but the team wiki has this :

Metalurh has its own small stadium named after the club, Metalurh Stadium. For most domestic matches the club plays at this stadium, which has a capacity barely in excess of 5,000. For games expected to draw a significantly larger crowd, Metalurh plays at Shakhtar Stadium, owned by Shakhtar Donetsk. The Shakhtar Stadium is mostly used for the European competitions. A new stadium with a capacity of 17,500 is under construction in Makiivka, near Donetsk. It will be the new home ground of Metalurh Donetsk.

I'm going to conclude that the wikistadiums link is actually for Shaktar Donetsk's pitch.

In any case, his tweets seemed to indicate he enjoyed going to Leaf, Raptor, Jay games, etc. while he was here. Hopefully he'll enjoy himself as much there.

Jack
07-18-2013, 09:17 AM
So he is going to something called FC Metalurh Donetsk. The secondary team in Donetsk.

Who else is wondering if this is some sort of cap circumvention game by TFC (ie a buyout disguised as a transfer to a mysterious partner, so that it doesn't hit the cap)?

I suppose it's also possible that this is all legit. But you never know in that part of the world.

I predict O'Dea has to play a few games, keep his mouth shut, collect his dough, and he'll be back in the UK on a free in 6 months.
http://media.thereadystore.com/mktg/blog/tin-foil.jpg

Could be a team owner who wants to brag about having internationals on his squad but can't afford bigger names. Unless, of course, Leiweke and Payne have connections to the Ukraine mob or something...

ensco
07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
^Hey Jack, spare me the gratuitous tinfoil bit. I said it may or may not be legit. I'm guessing you don't know much about Ukrainian football. You could try google first next time.

PopePouri
07-18-2013, 10:05 AM
http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/former-tfc-captain-darren-odea-signs-with-metalurh-donetsk/

So in the end, it was about money.

brad
07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/former-tfc-captain-darren-odea-signs-with-metalurh-donetsk/

So in the end, it was about money.

From the article:

Heading into an option year, O’Dea took to Twitter shortly after leaving Toronto FC hours before its game in Kansas City last weekend, saying he wanted to stay but that it wasn’t his choice.

It was his choice. He chose not to accept a lower salary.

Jack
07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
^Hey Jack, spare me the gratuitous tinfoil bit. I said it may or may not be legit. I'm guessing you don't know much about Ukrainian football. You could try google first next time.
You're a big boy, I'm sure you can take a bit of joking about your conspiracy theories. I don't need to google Ukrainian football to have doubts about a theory that MLSE and TFC are making shady deals with shady Ukrainian clubs. If you'd care to enlighten me, I'd be happy to hear your reasoning.

Stouffville_RPB
07-18-2013, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't be surprised is Leiweke is bringing some of the cap tricks that LA used here to TO.

Canary10
07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Anyone know if a transfer fee is involved?

Beach_Red
07-18-2013, 10:57 AM
You're a big boy, I'm sure you can take a bit of joking about your conspiracy theories. I don't need to google Ukrainian football to have doubts about a theory that MLSE and TFC are making shady deals with shady Ukrainian clubs. If you'd care to enlighten me, I'd be happy to hear your reasoning.

I hope TFC are making shady deals. We've wondered for years if there were ways such a big company with so many resources could get some advantage...

Richard
07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't know who in there right mind would pay a fee for O'Dea. I seriously doubt we are get any significant fee, this is just a move to clear salary and the amount is probably under 50K to make it look legit. I don't think Ensco's idea is too farfetched, the team desperately needed to clear this contract of the books.

maninb
07-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Personally, I am very happy with this move. O'Dea is complete shite. He plays like someone who is watching a pack of dobermans run him down. Scared. And he was personally responsible for as many defensive errors/goals a game as much younger, and inexperienced players. Good riddance.

The timing, however, is horrible. Toronto FC, is a misnomer. It is a company, and it treats it's players like employees, rather than athletes. No concept of morale, or morals!!

Sure thing Skippy...so a STARTER for Ireland isn't good enough for a complete crap team like TFC? LOL! You obviously know nothing about football...

barticusz
07-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Sure thing Skippy...so a STARTER for Ireland isn't good enough for a complete crap team like TFC? LOL! You obviously know nothing about football...

He's on their national team but he's no starter. He's an ok player but he was a ridiculous signing for this team. It's a fantastic move to let him go.. especially considering having him in the lineup only resulted in 2 wins this year. He's replaceable buy cheaper options in the back, but we need that money for better talent up front.

jloome
07-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Like Eugene, I've spent enough time around large corporate environments -- including investigating them on a multi-month, forensic level -- and I'd be stunned if it WEREN'T some kind of shady deal with the club in Ukraine.

You'll probably found it was bought by some recent Ukrainian petro oligarch, aka gangster. He can pay him a ton, at O'Dea will have signed with strong release conditions, as the older players do in the Chinese and UAE leagues.

brad
07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
O'Dea was more than good enough for TFC - he was just too expensive. Yes he made errors, but you don't tend to find too many players at this level that do not. In the backline of a competent team though, I think he'd be a great MLS player.

Jack
07-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Like Eugene, I've spent enough time around large corporate environments -- including investigating them on a multi-month, forensic level -- and I'd be stunned if it WEREN'T some kind of shady deal with the club in Ukraine.

You'll probably found it was bought by some recent Ukrainian petro oligarch, aka gangster. He can pay him a ton, at O'Dea will have signed with strong release conditions, as the older players do in the Chinese and UAE leagues.
Ok, well I'll take you and Eugene's word for it.

jloome
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I hope TFC are making shady deals. We've wondered for years if there were ways such a big company with so many resources could get some advantage...

What's the Italian collective cap hit in Montreal again? Less than $500,00 for all of them? Anyone else wonder who's paying their rent (food expenses, travel expenses, tax hit etc etc etc).

Ivy
07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
What's the Italian collective cap hit in Montreal again? Less than $500,00 for all of them? Anyone else wonder who's paying their rent (food expenses, travel expenses, tax hit etc etc etc).
You think TFC wasn't paying for all those to O'Dea? Almost every club in professional sports does this. And Montreal is not at 500k.. Lol be reasonable.

v00d00daddy
07-18-2013, 06:06 PM
You think TFC wasn't paying for all those to O'Dea? Almost every club in professional sports does this. And Montreal is not at 500k.. Lol be reasonable.

DiVaio is a DP so he's whatever the DP max cap hit is 368,370
Ferrari is 240
Nesta is 260
Paponi is 72
Pisanu is 100

A lot more than 500 k but its still decent money management if you ask me.

mowe
07-18-2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/18/darren-odea-says-tfc-extension-offer-simply-wasnt-acceptable

Great article by Larson shedding some light on what went down.

"They put forward a contract that would have extended my term, but it wasn't acceptable," O'Dea said. "I don't mean that in a harsh way, it was a very good contract in terms of the league."
When asked to unpack that statement, O'Dea steered clear of the details, but did say the Sun's assumption that it was at least half as much as his original deal was accurate. He confirmed the offer would have extended his stay by at least two seasons.

He also said on twitter it was a free transfer.

Ivy
07-18-2013, 06:33 PM
DiVaio is a DP so he's whatever the DP max cap hit is 368,370
Ferrari is 240
Nesta is 260
Paponi is 72
Pisanu is 100

A lot more than 500 k but its still decent money management if you ask me.

Montreal has more than 5 players...

But this isnt here nor there... the fact that some teams have a better way of managing cap is no secret.

But I have to agree with Jack and wonder why you guys think there's funny business behind the O'Dea deal? Metalurh is a mid-table Ukrainian team with enough money - They saw an opportunity to grab an Irish international and a decent young player that was WAY outta place in the MLS for free, and jumped on it. They're happy, we're happy.

Ultra & Proud
07-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Soooooooo......... Anybody who was railing on here about TFC being bush league and a joke amongst the squad and football world for dumping the captain right before Saturdays match now have anything to say now the O' Dea himself confirmed he orchestrated his own exit because he didn't want a pay cut? And for us sticking him in shitty Ukraine, you can nix thought too because he picked it (due to money) and if anything it's pretty damn nice for the FO to let him negotiate his own transfer while being under contract and walking away during a short staffed stretch.

Tin foil hats indeed.

v00d00daddy
07-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Montreal has more than 5 players...

But this isnt here nor there... the fact that some teams have a better way of managing cap is no secret.

But I have to agree with Jack and wonder why you guys think there's funny business behind the O'Dea deal? Metalurh is a mid-table Ukrainian team with enough money - They saw an opportunity to grab an Irish international and a decent young player that was WAY outta place in the MLS for free, and jumped on it. They're happy, we're happy.

I was just citing the italian player wages.

I don't know if there was anything fishy about the O'Dea move. I don't care either. However it was done, it was done. The only issue I took with it was how quick they had to act. He makes the trip to Kansas and then goes back home? LOL

IF we are in the running for Forlan I can tell you unequivocally that Internacional is not keeping him out of the lineup to protect the move. But apparently we had to pull O'Dea at the last second? Seems bush league to me.

O'Dea seemed like a good guy but his wage was too high from day one.

Ivy
07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Probably partially because Inter wouldnt care much if Forlan got injured as much as TFC would if ODea would. There will always be a market for a player like Forlan, but TFC was dire to get rid of ODea ASAP. regardless, O'Dea doesn't seem to have an issue with how he was handled (unlike many many many other TFC players before him) so I dont think we should either.

v00d00daddy
07-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Soooooooo......... Anybody who was railing on here about TFC being bush league and a joke amongst the squad and football world for dumping the captain right before Saturdays match now have anything to say now the O' Dea himself confirmed he orchestrated his own exit because he didn't want a pay cut? And for us sticking him in shitty Ukraine, you can nix thought too because he picked it (due to money) and if anything it's pretty damn nice for the FO to let him negotiate his own transfer while being under contract and walking away during a short staffed stretch.

Tin foil hats indeed.

Where in anything that you've read does it justify O'Dea being sent home hours before the match? You read something that says that O'Dea travelled to KC with the team and then HE decided to leave 3 hours before the game? Really? Haven't seen that.

Yes, he was offered a contract at half the wage and turned it down and found somewhere else to play. That has nothing to do with how it went down last weekend.

And what's the point of the tin foil hat comment? You know you're just going to get people riled up. You're looking for an argument. I think they call this trolling.

jazzy
07-18-2013, 06:54 PM

Boom....exactly anyone still need explaining...or does everyone believe in the tooth fairy....? btw followed Montreal politics lately?

Ivy
07-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Boom....exactly anyone still need explaining...or does everyone believe in the tooth fairy....? btw followed Montreal politics lately?

lol dont go there brother... cement shoes

Corpand
07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
"Obviously a left back now," O'Dea said after being asked where the club needs to upgrade. "The best left back in the league has left."

Woooo Darren has some big balls, I think Corey Ashe just felt a slight tingle in his body...

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 08:42 PM
"Obviously a left back now," O'Dea said after being asked where the club needs to upgrade. "The best left back in the league has left."

Woooo Darren has some big balls, I think Corey Ashe just felt a slight tingle in his body...

If that's really what he said, I've lost a lot of respect for him. He was a perfectly decent, even upper-echelon (I'd say) left-back/centre-back for this league, but anyone who's followed his career knows he isn't called "Darren O'Dear" for nothing. Just because he was the most overpaid LB/CB doesn't make him the best.

mowe
07-18-2013, 09:14 PM
It was clearly a joke...

brad
07-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Nice to see a player leave, say good things about the FO and even talk about coming back one day.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 09:21 PM
It was clearly a joke...

I guess I'm just too wound up right now, with everything that's gone on with this club the last couple of weeks. I just read the post, and commented. It doesn't seem like something he'd say, lol. I still stand by my assessment though. He was overpaid.

Ultra & Proud
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Where in anything that you've read does it justify O'Dea being sent home hours before the match? You read something that says that O'Dea travelled to KC with the team and then HE decided to leave 3 hours before the game? Really? Haven't seen that.

Yes, he was offered a contract at half the wage and turned it down and found somewhere else to play. That has nothing to do with how it went down last weekend.

And what's the point of the tin foil hat comment? You know you're just going to get people riled up. You're looking for an argument. I think they call this trolling.

Read the article again. He said Shakhtar wanted him to leave after the RSL match and he had to convince them to allow him to play the Impact match as we were short on the bench. Also mentioned he told the players the Impact match was his last match and that he risked his deal by playing the Impact match. Basically, that whole sent home before the SKC match was BS. Team statement BS but still BS.

And if the salary talk (with allocation pay down) was true, a 50% pay cut would have still made him the highest paid defender in MLS.

Ivy
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that emotionally disturbed from this team.

tfcleeds
07-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that emotionally disturbed from this team.

Supporting this club messes with your brain. ;)

Yohan
07-18-2013, 09:42 PM
And if the salary talk (with allocation pay down) was true, a 50% pay cut would have still made him the highest paid defender in MLS.
no. Chad Marshall is higher, possibly several more.

BuSaPuNk
07-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Nice to see a player leave, say good things about the FO and even talk about coming back one day.

Really refreshing to see that. Looks like Payne and Nelsen handled the move with class. Great for our organization to get some positive press from former players.

Fort York Redcoat
07-19-2013, 07:18 AM

Tin foil hats indeed.

I don't see U&P as trolling but as you say I don't see a direct correlation between the way this deal was negotiated and conspiracy. Perhaps I'm not thinking as poorly of all involved to get the reference. It seems to me, regardless of process, all parties are satisfied with the move.

Except we the supporters with the gap it leaves of course.

v00d00daddy
07-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Read the article again. He said Shakhtar wanted him to leave after the RSL match and he had to convince them to allow him to play the Impact match as we were short on the bench. Also mentioned he told the players the Impact match was his last match and that he risked his deal by playing the Impact match. Basically, that whole sent home before the SKC match was BS. Team statement BS but still BS.

So did he or did he not travel to KC with the team and then leave shortly before? Why would he travel to KC when he had told people the Montreal game was his last?

If he didn't, then yeah, it's all bullshit and somebody lied. What's the purpose of that "team bullshit"?

Ultra & Proud
07-19-2013, 08:21 AM
If he didn't, then yeah, it's all bullshit and somebody lied. What's the purpose of that "team bullshit"?
Who knows but he said himself that the Impact was his last match and he had to work to be able to play that one. So I highly doubt he would have went all the way down there if he knew he couldn't play and clearly it wasn't a surprise move as it had been ongoing for a few weeks and decided a week before that match. The only possible reason I can think of them waiting until just before match time to announce it is because the team didn't want SKC to know ahead of time and maybe devise a game plan to attack that wing. But I in no way believe he actually went down there when he knew he wasn't able to play as per his new teams demands.

And on the highest paid thing; Marshall gets $330K. It was implied O' Dea was in the very high $600K range with the allocation payout. No one would ever know for sure because the allocation info is like Fort Knox at MLS HQ but if that was true then he'd be right around the same as Marshall and possibly slightly higher.

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Larson just couldn't help himself in the middle of all that with a bit of editorializing.

He doesn't seem to like Payne. Wonder why.

cmonyoureds
07-19-2013, 09:36 AM

This ^^^^

O'Dea was nothing but class in the way this transpired, and in the way he's handled this since signing the new contract to leave town.

barticusz
07-19-2013, 09:50 AM
""I think Toronto's been dying for someone like (Payne)," O'Dea said. "He's not going to be the players' best friend at times. It was in shambles before.""

Coming from the former Captain.. Another reason we need to give this management team a run of a few years.. I know Molinaro won't like that because he's already writing articles about a new coach, but hey .. to each their own i guess.

burlington Red
07-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Good move for all involved. Ideally O'Dea would have preferred to stay in Toronto but the money was too much. Funny thing his agent is none other than Ex Man Utd and Ireland legend Kevin Moran

Pint
07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't think this is the last time we will see O'dea in Toronto. Something tells me he will be back later in his career

OgtheDim
07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Might be my imagination, but we seem to be developing a reputation as a good place for players to raise their kids.

(Quick somebody phone Raheem Stirling)

Derko
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
""I think Toronto's been dying for someone like (Payne)," O'Dea said. "He's not going to be the players' best friend at times. It was in shambles before.""

Coming from the former Captain.. Another reason we need to give this management team a run of a few years.. I know Molinaro won't like that because he's already writing articles about a new coach, but hey .. to each their own i guess.

Yes but Molinaro is a Toronto sports writer, that's all, he just analyzes what the general concensus is around the league and what other 'experts' are saying, Ass comes to mind, just my opinion John, I know you will read this and scoff

cincy
07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes but Molinaro is a Toronto sports writer, that's all, he just analyzes what the general concensus is around the league and what other 'experts' are saying, Ass comes to mind, just my opinion John, I know you will read this and scoff without looking it up I am pretty sure this was Larson's article

Haddy
07-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Bendik just posted this on Twitter in reply to O'Dea looking for a new show...

@odea_darren also Suits is a great show. Someone who was a great guy to your face told me about it once.
Sent 29 mins ago
From Twitter for iPhone

Wonder who he means?