PDA

View Full Version : Luis Silva Appreciation Thread

[NBF]
07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
...because for some reason he has been forgotten before anyone could think of starting an appreciation thread. And don't forget you people gave Danny Califf and appreciation thread, 2 days ago.

g:DMark my words he will have more goals with DC United than any of our goalscorers combined. 20+.

notthesun
07-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Goosebumps. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ATPmIk2zacI#t=129s)

Good player, always liked him. Despite a not-great year with us I still think he can do well in this league. I'll keep tabs on him in D.C.

JayMolly
07-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Hope all goes well for you Luis.

Except, we do not want to see you and/or DeRo doing any 'chicken' dances when you play our team!

Richard
07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
*Crickets* Anyways, all the best to him. He has a good opportunity to learn from Dero, I'm sure he will be the linchpin of the DCU offense in a couple of seasons.

tfcleeds
07-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Guess we'll have to wait until next weekend to see him in a DCU uniform? I wish the kid well - sad to lose him - but I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us down the road.

Initial B
07-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I had such high hopes for him when he came. I wish him the best in the future.

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Played some lovely passes. Dealt with adversity last season with his Dad dying and the arrest thing - dealt well with that.

jabbronies
07-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Good player who needed someone to teach him how to play at the next level. Hopefully he gets that in DC.

Suds
07-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Disappointed to see him go. I thought he was one of our better draft picks.

I think Silva will have a good career in the MLS.

PookyP
07-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Really gonna miss Luiz.
The only mid player on the roster with vision.
When he had the ball I always thought something good was gonna happen.

Unfortunately,, he was stuck in with the hoofball gang, which meant he had to chase a lot of Hail-Mary longball service from the back.
That's not his strength.

69Chevy396
07-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Really gonna miss Luiz.
The only mid player on the roster with vision.
When he had the ball I always thought something good was gonna happen.

Unfortunately,, he was stuck in with the hoofball gang, which meant he had to chase a lot of Hail-Mary longball service from the back.
That's not his strength.
Silva will be regarded in the future as yet another excellent mls level player that TFC gave up on far too soon.

Alonso
08-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Luis just scored his 3rd goal in 3 games for D.C.....

I don't know what to think, but this is a hell of a debut for the man.

Corpand
08-03-2013, 07:33 PM
He definitely lit a fire uder D.C.'s ass, the creative player they have always needed.

Feels almost like Nelsen wanted to help his old team. Silva is playing impressive in his AMC role.

MartinUtd
08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Met a bunch of his friends and family in LA a year and a half ago (fuck it feels like forever since the CONCACAF quarters).... great people. Loved to see the pride they had in the home kid.

OgtheDim
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Well taken goal - took what was given to him.

Montreal's defence from midfield is horrible.

nonc
08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
His first couple goals for DC from range I was thinking where were these 18-25 yard attempts while with TFC? Not sure if positioning has made a difference since they've already played him out of position as a forward at DC. Probably just comes down to a change of surroundings, certainly a great start.

Ultra & Proud
08-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Not sure if positioning has made a difference since they've already played him out of position as a forward at DC.

Same as we did here under Mariner when he was at his best. He is far too static and occasionally disinterested to be a good AM in this league but he seems to be perfectly suited to float around the back line and wait for poaching attempts as a forward.

nonc
08-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Or Nelsen for that matter, he was used as a forward quite a bit this year.

Ultra & Proud
08-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Or Nelsen for that matter, he was used as a forward quite a bit this year.
He looks more suited to be a MLS forward. Suits his skill set. Could see him being a 10+ goal guy consistently.

69Chevy396
08-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Same as we did here under Mariner when he was at his best. He is far too static and occasionally disinterested to be a good AM in this league but he seems to be perfectly suited to float around the back line and wait for poaching attempts as a forward.
Better to have players like Dunfield running all over the place and doing nothing.

69Chevy396
08-04-2013, 11:44 AM
So, as a supporter of ths woeful club, how can anybody look at this dumping of a potential star player, as anything but a dumbass irresponsible decision? If the team does not replace him with a player or two of merit, it will go down as the worst player move since Dero.

TFC07
08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
You guys don't get it! Silva is going to be replaced by better and more younger player or world class player. We can't judge the trade until we find out who's going to replace Silva in the lineup. If Urruti or Moralez becomes a TFC player, then it's hard to feel bad about giving up Silva. I am happy for him doing well in DC United, but for a club like ours with backing of billion dollar owners, we can get better and younger (meaning more upside/potential) or world class attacking players.

BuSaPuNk
08-04-2013, 11:55 AM
^ exactly. We can't judge this until the replacement comes in. If the replacement isn't as good or doesn't have an upside like Silva did then we have a reason to gripe.

Masked Man
08-04-2013, 12:30 PM
So, as a supporter of ths woeful club, how can anybody look at this dumping of a potential star player, as anything but a dumbass irresponsible decision? If the team does not replace him with a player or two of merit, it will go down as the worst player move since Dero.

It's not a guarantee that TFC will add someone better than Silva. Who is to say they don't bring in another Mista type dud in here? Then you are even further behind than before.

I also don't buy the "he wasn't going to play" arguement because even if TFC makes a couple of signings to boost the attack, you need guys throughout the rigors of a season that are going to step up & give something. There could be injuries during the year or international call-ups. Even if Silva were on the bench, having him during those times could have proven to be quite useful. You want your coaches to have options when putting the line-up together.

Look at the Whitecaps last night, they had a ton of injuries, are on the road against Portland & they still got a draw because of the depth they have on the bench.

OgtheDim
08-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Given we were told at the time the reason he was being sent out was

a) he wasn't going to be getting playing time

&

b) it was an offer we couldn't refuse

I would say your "if the team does not" is unlikely to happen.

jabbronies
08-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Isn't this a Luis Silva appreciation thread?

Let's keep it on topic.

Richard
08-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Just watched the goal, loved the small touches and great composure to finish it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLZp10RE-pQ

ManUtd4ever
08-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a feeling we will be lamenting this trade for a very long time. Sigh.

ensco
08-05-2013, 06:19 AM
I have a feeling we will be lamenting this trade for a very long time. Sigh.

I haven't posted much since he was traded, it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

How could they sell him for allocation to bring in internationals? How could that ever make sense?

ManUtd4ever
08-05-2013, 08:09 AM
I haven't posted much since he was traded, it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

How could they sell him for allocation to bring in internationals? How could that ever make sense?
I agree. I support the overall direction of the club under the stewardship of Payne and Co., but the Silva trade is highly questionable considering the motivation for the deal.

BuSaPuNk
08-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I think it's hard to judge the trade until the replacement player is brought in. I have a feeling the allocation was to be used on Forlan. But after that deal fell through they were really stuck.

I'm certain the allocation amount will be used on the DP being brought in that Tim and Kevin are working on.

TFC07
08-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Since Silva trade, TFC have won 2 games and 1 draw. So say what you want, but we're not missing a beat without him based on results. Even though Silva is scoring goals for DC United, they're still a shit team (they're worse than us).

69Chevy396
08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Since Silva trade, TFC have won 2 games and 1 draw. So say what you want, but we're not missing a beat without him based on results. Even though Silva is scoring goals for DC United, they're still a shit team (they're worse than us).
07, the entire team could be traded for a hamburger and you would probably say it was a good thing.

notthesun
08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
07, the entire team could be traded for a hamburger and you would probably say it was a good thing.

And we could get Messi on a free and you'd probably say it was a bad thing.

69Chevy396
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Odd you would say this considering I am one of the very few people in this Forum who openly states my displeasure at losing Silva. I am not buying into anything mlse promises until I witness the results with my own eyes. I could care less who the executive is, I have seen it all before. I like Laba. I like Rey. I didnt like a half dozen bums brought in since 2012, many of whom are now gone. So I get pissed off when a player who management extolled as our next saviour is dumped for a few sheckles (silva). Like when Edu was sold to pay for a grass surface, mlse can sell snake oil to some people and they will not only accept it, they will embrace it as a good thing, over and over again. So, when Forlan is signed I will forget about Silva.

notthesun
08-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm just saying every time I read a post of yours it's negative, so I find it ironic you'd get on someone for having blinders on.

69Chevy396
08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm just saying every time I read a post of yours it's negative, so I find it ironic you'd get on someone for having blinders on.
Maybe. But when you support a team for seven years you expect more thanempty promises. This is mls, if all tfc did was build a team from the various drafts, made the odd signing, kept the club intact, they would have been much better. Now they promise a star player, perhaps a Forlan, but in the process give away Silva. I am simply not confident thy know what the hell they are doing. Is his negative? How about "another glorious year, TFC wins the mls championship for the third time, BMO expanding again to accomodate the thousands of fans desperate for tickets, several international soccer greats inquiring about joining the club". My friend, this is what we were promised back in 2006-2007.

Fort York Redcoat
08-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Both of you stick to what each other actually says, please.

v00d00daddy
08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
According to Corpand (seems to post legit info) Silva was wanted by other clubs besides DCU and TFC management pushed the trade through with DCU while breaking promises with other clubs.

Sure hope we got what we wanted without pissing off too many other clubs.

We all think that Silva is worth more than allocation money...maybe there were offers from other clubs that would have yielded a better return.

Payne doing his former team a solid in return for a future favour?????

Gaucho
08-06-2013, 06:19 PM
According to Corpand (seems to post legit info) Silva was wanted by other clubs besides DCU and TFC management pushed the trade through with DCU while breaking promises with other clubs.

Sure hope we got what we wanted without pissing off too many other clubs.

We all think that Silva is worth more than allocation money...maybe there were offers from other clubs that would have yielded a better return.

Payne doing his former team a solid in return for a future favour?????

I recall watching a TFC match a week or two before Silva was moved. The away announcers (Houston?) mentioned that TFC was shopping Silva around. I was shocked but couldn't find any more info on it until TFC pulled the trigger. That suggested to me that 1) TFC was looking to offload him and 2) that multiple teams were in the running. Thank God he didn't end up with Chivas which was my guess at the time.