PDA

View Full Version : The Danny Califf appreciation thread

TOBOR !
07-12-2013, 01:27 PM
well, why not ?

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/07/califf-announces-retirement

Defender Danny Califf retires after 14 year playing career, will become scout for TFC

barticusz
07-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Danny, you looked decent in the air for the one game that I watched you play in. All the best to you.

tfcleeds
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I guess his career in general merits an appreciation thread, not that he played with us that much. Good luck Danny.

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
He has good tats. And I will always remember that red card he got against us when he was with Philly. That was a great elbow.

CommradePolski
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
He always waved to me when I did the standard "Danny Califf WOOO" at him while he was warming up on the sidelines.

Still Kicking
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
TFC is the caboose on his playing career. He was part of the Skydome victory in March and it is too bad that he did not get to be the 2013 veteran centreback fans were hoping for.
TFC needs more scouting, so will California be his territory?

Richard
07-12-2013, 01:59 PM
As someone mention in the movment thread, I don't think he sticks around all that long. Letter by Califf: http://www.torontofc.ca/content/dann...irement-letter (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/danny-califf-retirement-letter)

I am not retiring because I have a career ending back injury, or because I have knee problems, or because TFC did not do their due diligence when they signed me in January.

The reason for my retirement is because when you are 33 years old and have played 14 years at a professional level, you start to have priorities that reach beyond yourself. Do I really want to train every day knowing that I am not in the coach's plan to play...

BuSaPuNk
07-12-2013, 02:01 PM
^ That does say alot. And not in a good way. I know they were probably strung out with his contract. But it seems like he wanted to play somewhere else and there was really no way to move him. Unfortunate

WestStandGeoff
07-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't get the last paragraph of his letter... who are his "PBJ"?

TOBOR !
07-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I think he got Dichio'd.

TOBOR !
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
As someone mention in the movment thread, I don't think he sticks around all that long. Letter by Califf: http://www.torontofc.ca/content/dann...irement-letter (http://www.torontofc.ca/content/danny-califf-retirement-letter)

I am not retiring because I have a career ending back injury, or because I have knee problems, or because TFC did not do their due diligence when they signed me in January.

The reason for my retirement is because when you are 33 years old and have played 14 years at a professional level, you start to have priorities that reach beyond yourself. Do I really want to train every day knowing that I am not in the coach's plan to play...

He has very neat handwriting.

TOBOR !
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't get the last paragraph of his letter... who are his "PBJ"?

Ha ha... is that what he calls us ? edit - nah - just re-read the letter. That's got to be his kids.

Fort York Redcoat
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Danny C. Nice seeing you Skydome this year. Good luck in Cali. Especially if you're scouting for us.

Phil
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Have a beer tonight Danny. You deserve it.

Detroit_TFC
07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Thought for a long time Califf would be a great addition to our team in terms of tenacity and leadership. Unfortunately we just didn't get him in time to play a long term role.

I knew he wasn't coming back from this absence but I'm still sad to see it end this way. Tough couple years for him, with all the bullshit in Philly, dealing with the crap at Chivas and now coming to the end of the road with us.

Initial B
07-12-2013, 02:28 PM
He probably deserved a better end than this. Thanks for your work for the cause, Danny. Good luck with your future.

OgtheDim
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
A man with the right priorities....family.

BuSaPuNk
07-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Was really excited when we brought him in. Sad that it had to end like this. Good luck Danny hope it all works out for ya!

JayMolly
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
All the best Danny. It must have been difficult trying to 'get an answer'. Now it is time to move on . . .

69Chevy396
07-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Just what was the reason for his benching all this time?

Super
07-12-2013, 06:25 PM
I posted about it on Aalborg's supporters web site as Califf helped lead the team to the title in 2008 - as captain of the team no less. I have a lot of respect for Califf, and no one is more disappointed at the fact that he didn't really get a proper go at it here. He just didn't have much left in the tank - and not being near his family hurt. But I remember chanting "Aalborg" at him during his warm-up and getting a big smile and salute in return. Class guy!

Corpand
07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Was a good player but I think the physicality of the league started to get to him later on with age.
Just remember where you heard about his retirement first :D
He pretty much got Dichio'd but with a lower salary. Dichio's priorities were coaching after retirement so that worked out. Califf's on the other hand...

West220Side
07-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Let me sum him up by quoting somebody else...

"Califf eats nails for pre game meal. And Richter is his protege, learning the way of being hard as fuck"
- Yohan

Ivy
07-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Thank you for elbowing Hassli in the face.

Wingback6
07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
A reasonable choice. In all fairness, we should have probably never picked him up, but at the time, it was certainly not a bad decision, only a short term one. Who knew Caldwell would work out? More than fulfilling the role that Danny was meant to. Such is football.

Fort York Redcoat
07-15-2013, 09:04 AM
I posted about it on Aalborg's supporters web site as Califf helped lead the team to the title in 2008 - as captain of the team no less. I have a lot of respect for Califf, and no one is more disappointed at the fact that he didn't really get a proper go at it here. He just didn't have much left in the tank - and not being near his family hurt. But I remember chanting "Aalborg" at him during his warm-up and getting a big smile and salute in return. Class guy!

Fantastic! Love hearing that. I didn't know of his success in Sweden. Very cool.